Author Topic: Mass Effect Andromeda  (Read 23550 times)

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
Re: Mass Effect Andromeda
« Reply #180 on: March 23, 2017, 10:44:28 AM »
With the other more interesting games on my plate, I'll wait until they inevitably add this to the Vault and then play it then.
nat

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #181 on: March 23, 2017, 11:24:12 AM »
One thing I noticed is that they took out the galaxy map music from the first 3 games... that's more upsetting to me than the awful animation.

This touchs on my major gripe with the game so far. The soundtrack...or lack thereof. The original trilogy was chock full of memorable, evocative music. Andromeda doesn't really have a 'sonic' signature sadly. I'm enjoying my time with the game but they dropped the ball big time with the music

ME1 music > ME2

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: March 23, 2017, 03:32:37 PM »
There are definitely some issues with Andromeda, like the lack of any clear progress in terms of animation and the overall feel of the gameplay. It feels like they are essentially using the same base as the previous games, but improving the textures. Facial animation, especially, is a big disappointment, since they'd mentioned that as being an area of focus. There's just barely ever any emotional displays in the characters' faces, other than some of the ridiculous FemRyder gifs that have been floating around. At best it's the same quality as the previous games, in some cases it's not even as good. Some random NPCs in Witcher 3 had better animation/emotional displays than main characters in Andromeda. That's fine for a small-time dev working on their own dime, but a Bioware game bankrolled by EA? Come on, son.

Having said that, I really like the game. The exploration aspect feels really good, I think they nailed that better than anything else. The cast of characters is alright, even if some of them aren't so hot, in general they get the job done and are memorable enough. ME1 is still the GOAT in that regard, though [Liara + Garrus, squad mates 4 life]. The diversity of locations and art direction have been pretty strong, too, so far, especially Havarl with it's perpetual night and overgrown, glowing vegetation. The Remnant vault on Eos was really good, too.

If nothing else, it's pulled me and made me want to play more.
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #183 on: March 23, 2017, 03:45:56 PM »
Id like to know more about the writing. I dont care about the action. Everything ive seen is read out like a bad teenage spaceflick. The vo is bad and the story seems mediocre. Conversations seem stilted too.

Id like to hear impressions after 30 hours or something. Seems Eos is space Hinterlands. Also can you say if you liked DAI so I can disregard any opinion thay likes dai :P.

Personally, i just started replaying ME1 and its still damn good, especially in the writing / vo department
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: March 23, 2017, 03:59:29 PM »
The writing's just okay for what it is [cheesy space opera drama], it's got some bright spots here and there and some parts that just fall flat. The main plot thread isn't as good as the previous games [maybe bit better than 3, but that's more of a personal opinion], but the overall feel of exploring the unknown helps out a bit. Scattershot VO is a problem, especially for non-major characters. Most of the major quests, at least, have been pretty good. Most of the sidequests range from decent to not worth the time, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 06:29:28 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

FatalT

« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2017, 07:06:56 PM »
Not gonna lie, I skipped all the talking scenes and mashed square to get to the shitty responses that won't actually affect anything.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #186 on: March 24, 2017, 02:01:50 AM »
Having said that, I really like the game. The exploration aspect feels really good, I think they nailed that better than anything else. The cast of characters is alright, even if some of them aren't so hot, in general they get the job done and are memorable enough. ME1 is still the GOAT in that regard, though [Liara + Garrus, squad mates 4 life]. The diversity of locations and art direction have been pretty strong, too, so far, especially Havarl with it's perpetual night and overgrown, glowing vegetation. The Remnant vault on Eos was really good, too.

If nothing else, it's pulled me and made me want to play more.
This is where I'm at. I will say the tutorial and first planet are pretty bland but the game definitely picks up after that and it finally starts to feel like Mass Effect. Once things open up, that ME1 sense of wonder is coming back.

I do dislike most of the characters.  Liam, Cora and Peebee are awful and/or boring.  The other teammates are ok so far, hopefully they grow on me. I imagine exploring these planets with my ME 1 crew and it would have been awesome. I really don't have a problem with the progression/exploration so much as the bland personalities. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: March 24, 2017, 07:16:28 AM »
Not gonna lie, I skipped all the talking scenes and mashed square to get to the shitty responses that won't actually affect anything.

:jeanluc

Why would you do that in an RPG like this?
ど助平

« Reply #188 on: March 24, 2017, 12:51:09 PM »
So I should wait and get a cheap used copy or wait for a price drop? Sounds like a plan.
野球

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #189 on: March 24, 2017, 12:55:38 PM »
So I should wait and get a cheap used copy or wait for a price drop? Sounds like a plan.

Honestly? I wouldn't be surprised if this game is put in the EA Vault in 6 months. I plan to just wait and play it then.
nat

FatalT

« Reply #190 on: March 24, 2017, 01:38:39 PM »
:jeanluc

Why would you do that in an RPG like this?

Because it was a free Red Box rental that I returned the next day and was mainly interested in the multiplayer. Whenever it drops to $20 I'll actually listen to the awful voice acting where every alien race talks with a high-pitched lisp. For that play-through though, the goal was to see some jank. I didn't see any jank :(

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: March 24, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »
This isn't a game I'd be checking out solely for the multiplayer.  But yeah, I haven't seen any 'jank' glitches or anything either.  Just some weird facial expressions here and there.
ど助平

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #192 on: March 24, 2017, 02:56:29 PM »
I've come across my share of jank and glitches. But the old games had those too. And so does just about any modern game. I haven't had any serious bugs that impeded my progress or anything.

The worst bug I've had is occasionally a piece of text will get stuck on the left side of the screen. Like an exp gain text. Or a you got X amount of research from the Milky Way text string. Reloading has fixed it both times.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: March 24, 2017, 04:51:27 PM »
Only major glitch I've come across is once when coming back to the Tempest from being planetside, some stuff got kinda mixed up. Like, I was talking to Drack and during the cutscene another Drack appeared and later I was talking to a crew member on one part of the ship and upon exiting the cutscene I was in another part entirely. Didn't mess up the game, really, but it was a little weird.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #194 on: March 25, 2017, 12:40:11 AM »
I've put in a good number of hours into the game. I would say I'm probably about 40 to 50% through the game although its a little hard to peg that without looking at a spoiler list of the missions in the game. Plus a lot of the content in the game is side content so depending on how much of that you do, the game is potentially a lot longer than the other mass effect games.

For me its solidly in the I like it category. I like being in the universe. I like doing the pioneer and exploration theme they've got going. I like the combat. It's a good game for me. It does some things better than the other games and some things worse so its hard to directly compare to the titles and do a simple >  or less than thing. I like it more than the original Mass Effect. The story isn't as good as the original mass effect but the game is a better game than that game was.

It's not as cohesive a package as Mass Effect 2 and 3. And it doesn't have the ability to build on anything prior like those games did so the stakes can't elevate the way it was elevated in those games which made them great games.

There is absolutely a lot of Inquisition in this game. If you didn't like inquisition style side content then you most likely won't like this. I understand that. That style of grinding quests is a turn off to some. It's not to me. I think the problem with inquisition was the way that content was presented. That it was confusing, and that it often felt unmotivated.  I like it better here. Most of it is motivated at least to some degree because it's wrapped up in the context of making a planet more hospitable for life and dealing with problems. It's also less confusing as I know what I should be doing at all times compared to inquisition. It's like doing all that Mako stuff in the first game but a much better version of it for me. So I'm cool with it.

The squad mates seem to be a big turn-off to some people. Once again they seem fine to me here. Especially comparing it to the original game. What made those Mass Effect characters great was going from game to game with them and making so many decisions with them. I liked them in the first game but I didn't like them at that Mass Effect 3 level right away. Time and game to game moments are what built that. The journey was what made me like them. The alien characters especially seem fine but that's always the case in Mass Effect as the humans tend to be the more boring characters. Every one seems mostly happy. Which is an interesting change from the original game where every character had some secret backstory internal conflict. I don't dislike the change. It's just different.

I really enjoy the profile system. I was skeptical of that coming in. I think limiting classes is a way to make a game replayable and distinguish playstyles. But it works here. My initial instinct was to stick to just one class and profile and play the game that way. But the more I played the more I started creating different profile loadouts for slightly different situations. It's a clever way to maintain distinctness but still allow freedom.

There are still legit things I don't like. The flow of the game is a bit weird. Since the old games had a more traditional structure they flowed better. You got into this rhythm of doing a mission, coming back and checking your email, talking to your squad, then maybe visiting the citadel and on to the next mission. Because of the Inquisition stuff, the flow is weird and jumpy. You kind of have to go out of your way to establish your own flow instead of the game dictating it smoothly like the old games because you do so much grinding on the planets.

The overall story while "fine" isn't as compelling as the ongoing nature of the Reapers and that stuff. Some of that is because it built up over the earlier mass effect games. But some of that is simply because the villains here are more bog standard and less interesting than the Reapers.

So yeah. I'll make another summation post when I finish it or I'm near the finish. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:50:36 AM by Stoney Mason »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: March 25, 2017, 12:40:16 AM »
I absolutely HATE the alien sudoku. Every time it shows up, which is often, I just want to die.
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #196 on: March 25, 2017, 12:41:27 AM »
I absolutely HATE the alien sudoku. Every time it shows up, which is often, I just want to die.

There are things you can buy to over-ride them and just bypass it. After you do a couple of them and get the logic of them, they are kinda easy.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #197 on: March 25, 2017, 03:21:57 AM »
Running with Drack and Vetra, finally got my Black Widow. This game is really starting to click with me. 

No way in hell is this a 75/100 or whatever the score is on Metacritic. The sometimes poor and inconsistent facial animations suck but the basic premise is what I wanted from the series and the gameplay is solid. It is really going to be unfortunate if we don't get a proper sequel to expand upon some of these concepts because I see what they were going for.  The polish just isn't quite there but I appreciate the ideas. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 04:44:37 AM by Let's Cyber »

Let's Cyber

« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2017, 02:30:45 PM »
There are still legit things I don't like. The flow of the game is a bit weird. Since the old games had a more traditional structure they flowed better. You got into this rhythm of doing a mission, coming back and checking your email, talking to your squad, then maybe visiting the citadel and on to the next mission. Because of the Inquisition stuff, the flow is weird and jumpy. You kind of have to go out of your way to establish your own flow instead of the game dictating it smoothly like the old games because you do so much grinding on the planets.
I definitely agree. And like you said, the structure is DA:I-esque. If you try to finish every single thing on the map, it will becomes a collect-a-thon/filler hell. It takes a bit of work and planning on the part of the player to create their own path forward and prioritize things but it is possible to create a decent flow.

Also when I land on a new planet, I have to tell myself I'm just there to explore and ignore the quest markers for at least a little bit. It is a lot more enjoyable that way as opposed to feeling like I'm just checking boxes.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:58:38 AM by Let's Cyber »

archie4208

« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2017, 03:50:06 PM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #200 on: March 27, 2017, 06:36:08 PM »
Im with that guy
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2017, 07:15:35 PM »
I do still like Andromeda, but he's pretty spot on about all the issues the game has.
dog

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #202 on: March 28, 2017, 12:44:33 AM »
Mid 70s is pretty generous for this pos

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2017, 07:33:20 AM »

Nah.  It's still a good game despite its problems.

ど助平

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #204 on: March 28, 2017, 08:57:02 AM »
Game sounds like a pass, which is a real shame.

I'll wait until it's sub $20 on Black Friday and get something else like RE7, Horizon: Zero Dawn, or Neir Automata for now.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2017, 09:05:49 AM »
Make sure to get horizon, that shit is a gem
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2017, 10:38:02 AM »

I'll wait until it's sub $20 on Black Friday and get something else like RE7, Horizon: Zero Dawn, or Neir Automata for now.

It's not a pass if you like ME, but I'd definitely get those other games before it.
ど助平

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #207 on: March 28, 2017, 11:21:14 AM »
I think it's important that there are people who are ME fans who are enjoying it, but also:

I'm a huge ME fan. As is my girlfriend. We both find ME:A to be bottom of the barrel. From both story/character/writing AND from moment to moment gameplay and design. It's trash. So in my opinion, if you like ME, you'll hate ME:A
nat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #208 on: March 28, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »

Nah.  It's still a good game despite its problems.

Mid 70's seems like the right score for a good game that has a lot of problems.
©@©™

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #209 on: March 28, 2017, 11:51:07 AM »
man this is super disappointing
püp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2017, 11:53:52 AM »
I think it's important that there are people who are ME fans who are enjoying it, but also:

I'm a huge ME fan. As is my girlfriend. We both find ME:A to be bottom of the barrel. From both story/character/writing AND from moment to moment gameplay and design. It's trash. So in my opinion, if you like ME, you'll hate ME:A

So far, it's you hate it and Rumbler, Stoney, and myself like it.

ど助平

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2017, 12:03:53 PM »
Even then, most of what I'm gathering is a lot of "shrug it's ok i guess"

Not a particularly resounding praise. 
nat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2017, 12:10:29 PM »

If you read the impressions, it's more of "I'm enjoying it."
:idont

I like the game.  Still waiting to see some crazy animation glitches...haven't run into any yet.  :(
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2017, 02:34:42 PM »

If you read the impressions, it's more of "I'm enjoying it."

I like the game.  Still waiting to see some crazy animation glitches...haven't run into any yet.  :(

Yeah, but you like to like things, so we can't take you seriously.
yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2017, 02:37:29 PM »
:huh

My bad.

FUCK THIS GLITCHY PIECE OF SHIT DONT BUY THIS CRAP FROM BIOWAREZ AND EA

Better?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:05:32 PM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2017, 03:05:15 PM »
:huh

My bad.

FUCK THIS GLITCHY PIECE OF SHIT DONT BUY THIS CRAP FROM BIOWAREZ AND EA

Better?

You're getting there.
yar

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2017, 04:15:40 PM »
guys I seen a YouTube making fun of a game I want so now I must trash it also
pcp

FatalT

« Reply #217 on: March 28, 2017, 04:37:57 PM »
You can spend $3 at a Red Box and spend a night and an evening playing it or you can keep going back and forth on whether the latest meme YouTube video is worth discussing.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #218 on: March 28, 2017, 10:41:25 PM »

Lies, this series has been trash since ME3, I never wanted MEA.
yar

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2017, 06:34:04 AM »
Didn't everyone go :holeup at this as soon as those crab walk gifs and such got out there? Dunk is just part of the ongoing pileon.
Hi

FatalT

« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2017, 07:19:01 AM »
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Bugs-Known-issues-list-for-MEA/td-p/5942772

It's not a bug, it's a feature. You're just playing it wrong.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #221 on: March 29, 2017, 08:10:18 AM »

It's not a pass if you like ME, but I'd definitely get those other games before it.

Haha yeah, that's actually what I meant to say. I mean I DO definitely want to play it, but just not now considering everything else that's out.

While I trust some of you fine gentlemen, it's been pretty universally dumped on by my coworkers which is why I'm passing for now.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #222 on: March 29, 2017, 08:18:28 AM »
While I trust some of you fine gentlemen,

:goty
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #223 on: March 29, 2017, 08:37:48 AM »
I mean Brad from Giantbomb ( who is a huuuuge Mass Effect fan ) really disliking it says enough for me. With all these amazing 9/10 games coming out, this one just looks like shit right next to them.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: March 29, 2017, 08:42:52 AM »

Im sure thats why its getting piled on
What

FatalT

« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2017, 02:57:41 AM »
https://twitter.com/bioware/status/847244079159103488

We fucked up. Give us a few days for some damage control fans!

Let's Cyber

« Reply #226 on: March 30, 2017, 04:10:28 AM »
Still having a lot of fun with it.  A few of the main and loyalty missions are actually really good.

This is going to be dropped like a bad habit after Persona 5 releases but I'd give it like a 8/10 so far. The jank and lack of polish hurts but hopefully some of that is addressed by the time I jump back in.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #227 on: March 30, 2017, 08:11:55 AM »
https://twitter.com/bioware/status/847244079159103488

We fucked up. Give us a few days for some damage control fans!

What is it with announcements of announcements these days?  :lol
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #228 on: March 30, 2017, 10:07:33 AM »
They're doing the "give us all the feedback" thing again like with ME3. :stahp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #229 on: March 30, 2017, 02:16:58 PM »
Maybe don't release a game that should still be in beta, Bioware.
yar

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #230 on: March 30, 2017, 02:20:33 PM »
Hitting the fiscal quarter was more important. :shaq2

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #231 on: March 30, 2017, 03:22:04 PM »
unless they're suddenly replacing all the characters, dialogue, quest design, and script they ain't fixing dis shit
nat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #232 on: March 30, 2017, 06:03:58 PM »
I bet this game doesn't have game breaking shit like everyone's favorite garbage Nier Automata.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #233 on: March 30, 2017, 06:48:47 PM »
lol u mad
pcp

Trent Dole

« Reply #234 on: April 01, 2017, 06:28:09 AM »

Holy shit. :doge
Hi

Let's Cyber

« Reply #235 on: May 20, 2017, 12:21:22 AM »
Jumped back in this week. On Hardcore. It really isn't a bad game and it actually feels like Mass Effect now that I'm deeper into the campaign. That said, the opening to this game is just not good. Poor tutorial plus all the glitches and jank didn't do his game any favors.

Kadara, H-047c and Voeld are pretty great imo. Again, bioware didn't do their game any favors by starting off on the most boring planet.  I haven't even been to Harvel or the Krogan planet yet so hopefully they're also high quality. Kadara was a breath of fresh air after Eos. Lots of Omega vibes too, which I love.

Some of the choices have been tough. I paused the game for a minute to consider (mid-game spoilers)
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Saving the krogans squad vs. the Salarian Pathfinder. Same with saving the Angara vs. destroying the facility.
[close]

The gameplay is really good though, especially compared to ME1 or even ME3. As a sniper (Black Widow  :whew), sometimes it feels like realtime 3rd person shooter version X-Com (especially on the Kett ships/buildings which definitely have an X-com feel). I do wish I had a bit more control over my squadmates but they generally go where I tell them.

So yeah. I'm enjoying it. We'll see if it maintains this momentum until the end because the mid-game is way better than the opening and I hope they stick the landing.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 12:30:31 AM by Let's Cyber »

Trent Dole

« Reply #236 on: May 20, 2017, 02:24:40 AM »
There is/was some sale to get this for 30 instead of 60 but that still feels like at least 10 too high.
Hi

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #237 on: May 20, 2017, 03:53:09 AM »
where is this sale
pcp

Let's Cyber

« Reply #238 on: May 20, 2017, 04:52:27 AM »
One big complaint for me is the lack of music while exploring. This seems to be a growing trend now in a lot of games and it drives me crazy.

Please for the love of Christ just copy Witcher 3 from now on. That game nailed how music should be handled. It sets a mood. Same thing for Persona 5 or Nier. Those games get it. Fuck this overuse of low-key ambient music or just environmental sounds.

Trent Dole

« Reply #239 on: May 21, 2017, 01:49:15 AM »
Hi