Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5540154 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| The #benjishutdown is over!
« Reply #13800 on: February 01, 2018, 03:19:46 AM »
she's been elected to statewide office three more times than Obama, she'll have been in the Senate as long as he was, she'll be older than Obama is now in 2020

times a wastin

tbh, at the time, I was concerned they were running Obama too early, but his charisma quickly convinced me otherwise once the campaign was in full swing. I like Kampala, but I’m not sure she has Obama’s charisma.
serge

team filler

• filler
  • filler

kingv

« Reply #13802 on: February 01, 2018, 07:55:32 AM »
Ok, tomorrow, when the memo drops, and I'm in here talking about how maybe the FBI overstepped its boundaries and that we should strive to keep our institutions accountable to democratic forces... someone tell me to stfu.

I don’t know I’m planning to egg you on :-P

kingv

« Reply #13803 on: February 01, 2018, 07:56:45 AM »
from my elite ivory tower of not getting my hands dirty through the sacrifice and hard work of voting every four years; the bigger strike to me is the history as a career prosecutor

If we get to a situation where Harris and Sanders are 1 and 2, in whatever order, “career prosecutor” will become the new Iraq War vote.

I’m going to guess that once you start pulling the strings, Kampala has some pretty ugly cases that will play poorly in a Dem primary.

Conversely, they will mean nothing against Trump.

Tokyosandblaster

« Reply #13804 on: February 01, 2018, 10:33:54 AM »
Jack, who does more for progressive policy on a random Tuesday than anyone on this board combined, is very smart and good at his job. That's why Donald Trump is president, an openly anti-LGBT Mike Pence is VP, both the senate and the house are controlled by Republicans, and every progressive policy passed in the past 9 years is now being dismantled.

Keep up the good work, Jack.

You fucking dick, states and cities/counties exist, and that's where the best work is being done right now. Not coincidentally, that's also where my work is (and I would never, ever want to work at the federal level, fuck that shit). Right now I'm working on a project developing a strategic budget for the use of LA County Measure H funds to reduce homelessness. Last year I did economic modeling work on Universal Pre-K proposals in a couple cities. What the fuck do you do besides bash private citizen Hillary Clinton on a message board with like 30 users?

Edit: and I didn't say everyone combined. I said you and Tokyosandblaster combined.
I appreciate the work you're doing Jack. I really do. You are working in the most progressive state in the US and getting shit done. Thanks. Just think you should focus your efforts and shill for a good politician (Hillary Clinton is as much of a private citizen as Bobby Roberts is a random forum poster).

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13805 on: February 01, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »
Ted better keep his dad indoors there's another Kennedy on the loose

:trumps
🤴

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #13806 on: February 01, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »
Ugh we're gonna nominate Bernie aren't we

I'd bet money that Sanders won't win 2 primaries. Becoming the anti-establishment alternative candidate is easy when you're running against one person, and he or she is as unappealing as Hillary was. Next time the field will actually be competitive with multiple candidates who will win solid support in multiple states. Gonna be hard for him to stand out on a debate stage alongside politicians who are actually appealing on varying levels (Booker*, Harris, etc).

*I'm not a Booker fan at all, but it's safe to say he's going to have some solid support and he's a good speaker

kingv

« Reply #13807 on: February 01, 2018, 04:46:37 PM »
I think that PD is right. Also, I think that the next round of candidates will take the stuff Bernie has been saying and incorporate it better into their campaigns than Hillary did (or at least more convincingly).

Kamala is already on that.

That’s probably good, because while I think Bernie talks about a lot of important things... Bernie as President is “ehhhhh”.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #13808 on: February 01, 2018, 04:51:29 PM »
I'd bet money that Sanders won't win 2 primaries. Becoming the anti-establishment alternative candidate is easy when you're running against one person, and he or she is as unappealing as Hillary was. Next time the field will actually be competitive with multiple candidates who will win solid support in multiple states. Gonna be hard for him to stand out on a debate stage alongside politicians who are actually appealing on varying levels (Booker*, Harris, etc).

*I'm not a Booker fan at all, but it's safe to say he's going to have some solid support and he's a good speaker
Donald Trump.
每天生气

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13809 on: February 01, 2018, 05:02:35 PM »

Donald Trump.

To be fair, Trump had more charisma and was more entertaining than everyone in the republican debates. Sanders isn't that type of character.

shosta

« Reply #13810 on: February 01, 2018, 05:06:22 PM »
Maybe not as entertaining but he was charismatic and commanded a devout following. You don't go from nobody to 45% of the Democratic vote without serious chutzpah.
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13811 on: February 01, 2018, 05:15:19 PM »
Bernie talked about the wonders of birds and the redistribution of wealth.

While Trump said he'd shoot people and not lose voters.
🤴

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13812 on: February 01, 2018, 05:22:45 PM »
Maybe not as entertaining but he was charismatic and commanded a devout following. You don't go from nobody to 45% of the Democratic vote without serious chutzpah.

I could have gotten 45% of the democratic vote against Hillary Clinton last year.
 :yeshrug

Anti-establishment, despite working at a firm
LGBT friendly  :doge
Youth vote on lock
etc

etiolate

« Reply #13813 on: February 01, 2018, 05:27:33 PM »
I don't understand why they don't release the memo and shut the whole charade up

shosta

« Reply #13814 on: February 01, 2018, 05:36:23 PM »
"CNN: White House worried FBI director could quit over Nunes memo release"
Top White House aides are worried FBI Director Christopher Wray could quit if the highly controversial Republican memo alleging the FBI abused its surveillance tools is released, multiple sources with knowledge of the situation tell CNN.
Wray has not directly threatened to resign after clashing with Trump over the possible release of the memo, the source added, because that is not his style of dealing with conflict.

Just another day in the media.
每天生气

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #13815 on: February 01, 2018, 05:58:19 PM »
I don't understand why they don't release the memo and shut the whole charade up
They're going for maximum fuckery with this, but putting on a big bullshit spectacle is all for naught if if there's actually something in the document that causes blowback.
vin

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #13816 on: February 01, 2018, 06:01:09 PM »
Top White House aides are worried FBI Director Christopher Wray could quit if the highly controversial Republican memo alleging the FBI abused its surveillance tools is released, multiple sources with knowledge of the situation tell CNN.
Wray has not directly threatened to resign after clashing with Trump over the possible release of the memo, the source added, because that is not his style of dealing with conflict.

Him not directly issuing an ultimatum doesn't mean he wouldn't quit / WH isn't worried that he would quit. derp
___

shosta

« Reply #13817 on: February 01, 2018, 06:02:43 PM »
I sincerely doubt he does. Look at all the degradation Rex Tillerson has withstood.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #13818 on: February 01, 2018, 06:07:43 PM »
And Tillerson's the dude who said his wife made him take the job in the first place! Imagine being that rich and spending your retirement years at a job that makes you miserable.

Though Trump seems to be doing the same thing in his own way.

kingv

« Reply #13819 on: February 01, 2018, 06:28:16 PM »

I think they know the memo is not what nearly as ironclad as they are says it is.

The fact that they
1) are not releasing and
2) everybody saying this is a gross FISA overreach also just voted for reauthorization of section 702 like 2 weeks ago.

Is basically a tacit admission of that.

They are probably scrambling to figure out how to manage through the rollout with it getting instantly obliterated.

It’s probably impossible, because you don’t even have to see the memo to realize it has massive credibility problems on its face.

To believe that it’s a DOJ overreach, you basically have to believe:

1) that  the fbi and doj is biased and falsified something
2) that trump appointees were in on this, after he was sitting as president
3) that the judge was in on it.
4) that republican members of congress knew about gross violations of the fisa process that were among the worst scandal ever, but then blocked all attempts at reform of section 702 in the reauthorization
5) that all of this happened starting in 2013, roughly three years before the Steele memo was even created.

Tying their whole case to carter page, who was under investigation and had been through at least one fisa renewal already before this one, probably not even with the same judge, and then saying “oh hey, he was mistreated as a conspiracy to get trump 2 years before he was even running for President”...

I just don’t see that holding water with the general public. They’re dumb... but no THAT dumb.

Steve Contra

« Reply #13820 on: February 01, 2018, 07:17:19 PM »
Rick Gates' lawyers withdrew today. You have to be a real fuckup for a judge to allow your lawyers to bail.
vin

agrajag

« Reply #13821 on: February 01, 2018, 07:22:57 PM »
I sincerely doubt he does. Look at all the degradation Rex Tillerson has withstood.

Christopher Wray = Rex Tillerson gotcha

Steve Contra

« Reply #13822 on: February 01, 2018, 07:29:01 PM »
One of my dreams is to see Rex Tillerson die of a heart attack in some poor country he hates and hates him before he has a chance to enjoy any of his money.
vin

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #13823 on: February 01, 2018, 07:35:05 PM »
Rick Gates' lawyers withdrew today. You have to be a real fuckup for a judge to allow your lawyers to bail.

Also this:

https://twitter.com/kpolantz/status/959195261632503808

kingv

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| The Benji Memo
« Reply #13824 on: February 01, 2018, 11:14:53 PM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #13825 on: February 01, 2018, 11:24:50 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13826 on: February 01, 2018, 11:53:06 PM »
tbh they probably should have left that part of the Nunes Memo redacted
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13827 on: February 02, 2018, 12:11:51 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

MRW my friend tries to explain the appeal of cuckolding to me
dog

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13828 on: February 02, 2018, 12:28:48 AM »
this new thread subtitle trend is legit fire :pitbull

benjipwns

« Reply #13829 on: February 02, 2018, 02:38:36 AM »
we're talking about government memos tho
https://www.aclu.org/files/pdfs/safefree/yoo_army_torture_memo.pdf
https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu//NSAEBB/NSAEBB127/02.08.01.pdf

The Pentagon Papers started as a request for a memorandum on the history of American involvement in Vietnam and wound up as 7000 pages that took up 50 boxes. (Which when the government finally agreed to release the whole set and posted it as PDF's over 40 years later, they still censored out eleven seemingly random words on the grounds of, and i apologize for the dense official legal terms here, "fuck you, that's why.")

benjipwns

« Reply #13830 on: February 02, 2018, 04:30:01 AM »
https://www.mediaite.com/online/geraldo-to-hannity-nixon-wouldnt-have-been-forced-to-resign-if-you-were-in-media-then/
How influential does Geraldo Rivera think Sean Hannity is? So influential that he could have led to Richard Nixon serving out his second term.

Appearing on Hannity’s radio program this afternoon, Rivera wanted to praise his friend and host for raising all the questions surrounding the FBI and DOJ when it comes to the Russian investigation. After Hannity rattled off a list of issues he finds with anti-Trump bias in the probe and how the real scandals aren’t being covered, Rivera brought up Nixon.

“Nixon never would have been forced to resign if you existed in your current state back in 1972, ’73, ’74,” he told Hannity.

“I know, it’s too bad for — It’s too bad for Nixon, because nobody like you existed then. I say that because I believe that our prime responsibility now is to unshackle the 45th president of the United States.

Rivera would go on to say that the Russia probe is now a “toothless tiger” as they’ve proven that the Steele dossier was the “fake basis” for a FISA warrant, thus negating the whole thing. He added that he just wants Trump to be “free of this.”

Listen to the clip above, via Media Matters.
:rejoice

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13834 on: February 02, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »
 :gddr5 :gddr5
püp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #13835 on: February 02, 2018, 12:40:00 PM »
However, the Benji Memo remains classified. What are Bore admins covering up? Join me in fighting the Deep Forum!
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #13836 on: February 02, 2018, 12:46:00 PM »
The president told reporters in the Oval Office, “I think it’s a disgrace what’s happening in our country. A lot of people should be ashamed of themselves and much worse than that.”

Well, he’s not wrong.
©@©™

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13837 on: February 02, 2018, 12:48:11 PM »
fucking hell rosenstein and mueller are going to get fired over bullshit like this
püp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #13838 on: February 02, 2018, 01:04:19 PM »
It's a whole lot of nothing.gif

Absolutely nothing that wasn't previously known. :comeon

According to this, 65M have a bias against trump. Because you can't work for the government and not like the president, unless it's a Dem prez.
©ZH

kingv

« Reply #13839 on: February 02, 2018, 01:15:34 PM »
It’s actually even more dumb than I expected.

I literally could have made that up from reading newspapers and ignoring 80% of the stories on carter page and trump/Zeus’s is.

Note that the memo actually disproves it’s own premise within its own text.

It literally states that then Papadapolous information is what started the FBI counterintelligence investigation. So, in the most charitable reading of this memo, it says “look, there were legit reasons to investigate the Trump campaign for Russian ties, but this particular FISA warrant was bad”

It’s basically a “fruit of a poisoned tree” argument against the investigation. Is that REALLY where they they want to hang their hat? “We might have broken the law, but you never should have found out about it, so we’re shutting the whole thing down”
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 01:43:52 PM by kingv »

Clockwork5

« Reply #13840 on: February 02, 2018, 01:48:47 PM »
It’s basically a “fruit of a poisoned tree” argument against the investigation. Is that REALLY where they they want to hang their hat? “We might have broken the law, but you never should have found out about it, so we’re shutting the whole thing down”

It's not even saying "you should have never found out about it."

It's more like "the wrong source was publicized at the wrong time."

Syph

« Reply #13841 on: February 02, 2018, 02:35:19 PM »

I had this exact same  :iface  while reading that article lol

#releasethememo  is really a CIA conspiracy to get people to listen to more Cool Kids

im ballin did you miss the memo?
XO

agrajag

« Reply #13842 on: February 02, 2018, 02:53:55 PM »
Breh, he's mulling over firing Rosenstein right this moment.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13843 on: February 02, 2018, 03:02:53 PM »
Trump as always doesn't give a shit and just heads out to his winter white house
https://twitter.com/tparti/status/959504608728150018

"Are you preparing the Saturday night massacre Mr. President?"
"Do you mean, am I going to let Russian bitches suck me as I play golf with your tax dollars? You better believe me."
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #13844 on: February 02, 2018, 03:24:58 PM »

He has no cover for doing this, and certainly not for firing Mueller.

Trey Gowdy came out with a tweet like an hour ago stating that the memo did nothing to discredit Mueller's case.

He can replace Rosenstein and take a serious backlash. Meanwhile the memo completely failed in its attempt to end the Mueller probe.

Him not having a cover to do something has never stopped him before. We'll see what happens, I would be happy to be wrong.

Nola

« Reply #13845 on: February 02, 2018, 03:45:11 PM »

He has no cover for doing this, and certainly not for firing Mueller.

Trey Gowdy came out with a tweet like an hour ago stating that the memo did nothing to discredit Mueller's case.

He can replace Rosenstein and take a serious backlash. Meanwhile the memo completely failed in its attempt to end the Mueller probe.

Him not having a cover to do something has never stopped him before. We'll see what happens, I would be happy to be wrong.

You really should get out of the prognostication business Jack.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #13846 on: February 02, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »
https://twitter.com/TGowdySC/status/959495152770469888

I am really not ready for Trey Gowdy, Voice of Reason.

kingv

« Reply #13847 on: February 02, 2018, 03:53:55 PM »
Fuck Trey Gowdy, I want to know what Trey Songz thinks.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13848 on: February 02, 2018, 04:58:14 PM »
I keep thinking we’re talking about Trae Crowder

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #13849 on: February 02, 2018, 05:01:11 PM »
I've really been letdown by the scandals in the Trump org so far. I really expected a lot more and interesting, wacky ones.

Maybe I've been spoiled by the Clinton/Bush years, where every single month there seemed to be something new and odd.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #13850 on: February 02, 2018, 05:05:41 PM »
wut

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #13851 on: February 02, 2018, 05:10:12 PM »
Well there's been no weird shit like puss juice sealed cigars, just grifting and high treason. :trumps
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13852 on: February 02, 2018, 05:13:54 PM »
I've really been letdown by the scandals in the Trump org so far. I really expected a lot more and interesting, wacky ones.

Maybe I've been spoiled by the Clinton/Bush years, where every single month there seemed to be something new and odd.

:foodcourt
dog

agrajag

« Reply #13853 on: February 02, 2018, 05:15:19 PM »
One of the prevailing theories from pundits is that the strategy is not to outright stop the investigation or fire/indict anyone but sow distrust in the public eye, try to discredit it and slow it down by litigating all sorts of technicalities.

agrajag

« Reply #13854 on: February 02, 2018, 05:15:59 PM »

:foodcourt

It's like we live in different realities.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #13855 on: February 02, 2018, 05:16:29 PM »
One of the prevailing theories from pundits is that the strategy

Okay lemme stop you right there.

« Reply #13856 on: February 02, 2018, 05:23:00 PM »

agrajag

« Reply #13857 on: February 02, 2018, 05:24:37 PM »

Yah I know, but it makes sense based on what's happening. The pundits are not much different than guys like Jack and his deep analysis.

« Reply #13858 on: February 02, 2018, 05:42:08 PM »

Yah I know, but it makes sense based on what's happening. The pundits are not much different than guys like Jack and his deep analysis.

I can't attributed that level of intelligence to team trump.

They just released a memo which confirms not only was the entire Trumpgate investigation started not by the Dossier but with Papps but it also did this

https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/959555214566133760?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23959555214566133760

:sabu

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13859 on: February 02, 2018, 05:54:44 PM »
:neogaf
dog