Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5452926 times)

Propagandhim

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| The Mushroom Character from Mario Kart
« Reply #24540 on: September 27, 2018, 08:08:35 PM »
The denial for the investigation seems reasonably strategic to me and not really indicative of guilt.    An FBI investigation could potentially stall until midterms where they could risk losing the Senate and the confirmation.  Do I have this wrong?  What am I missing here?   Of course the implication is that Ford is lying, which seems hard to believe, too.  Nothing I saw today seemed so egregiously determinate of guilt.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24541 on: September 27, 2018, 08:11:23 PM »

Propagandhim

« Reply #24542 on: September 27, 2018, 08:14:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/LisaDNews/status/1045464083162640384

Looks like we have a new justice

So given that the vote will happen tomorrow, it seems like not acquiescing to all the pleading for an investigation was not an indication of guilt, but actually a reasonable course of action for an individual who wants to work on the Supreme Court?  "If he's innocent why won't he allow an FBI investigation?"  Uhhh, he's not an imbecile?

Boredfrom

« Reply #24543 on: September 27, 2018, 08:19:31 PM »
The denial for the investigation seems reasonably strategic to me and not really indicative of guilt.    An FBI investigation could potentially stall until midterms where they could risk losing the Senate and the confirmation.  Do I have this wrong?  What am I missing here?   Of course the implication is that Ford is lying, which seems hard to believe, too.  Nothing I saw today seemed so egregiously determinate of guilt.

The problem is that it shouldn’t be this way. Whatever or not he is innocent, the priority should be make the investigation over politics.

So given that the vote will happen tomorrow, it seems like not acquiescing to all the pleading for an investigation was not an indication of guilt, but actually a reasonable course of action for an individual who wants to work on the Supreme Court?  "If he's innocent why won't he allow an FBI investigation?"  Uhhh, he's not an imbecile?

:lol

He is a fucking judge.

Propagandhim

« Reply #24544 on: September 27, 2018, 08:22:17 PM »

The problem is that it shouldn’t be this way. Whatever or not he is innocent, the priority should be make the investigation over politics.

He is a fucking judge.

Not a rhetorical question:  Why is it his prerogative to allow for an FBI investigation?  Why are we relying on the desires of the accused if that's 'not the way it should be'?  It's not a surprise that he would say no to an investigation spurned by people that are trying to deny a Republican judge pick at all costs.  I don't blame him at all.   So, why do we need his go-ahead? 

Boredfrom

« Reply #24545 on: September 27, 2018, 08:25:46 PM »

He is a fucking judge.

Not a rhetorical question:  Why is it his prerogative to allow for an FBI investigation?  Why are we relying on the desires of the accused if that's not the way it should be?  It's not a surprise that he would say no to an investigation spurned by people that are trying to deny a Republican judge pick at all costs.  Why do we need his go-ahead?

You mean, the job where the whole point is being impartial and fair?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24546 on: September 27, 2018, 08:26:33 PM »
if you think Ford is lying just say so

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24547 on: September 27, 2018, 08:28:17 PM »
The thought that the Senate is holding a vote only because Trump demanded it entered my mind, but then I realized that was crazy talk.

I do hope there is a comparable McCain thumbs down moment that implodes the whole thing.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24548 on: September 27, 2018, 08:31:40 PM »
The thought that the Senate is holding a vote only because Trump demanded it entered my mind, but then I realized that was crazy talk.

I do hope there is a comparable McCain thumbs down moment that implodes the whole thing.

Could be they've got 49 confirmed Yes are hoping that forcing the issue will cause one of the two No's to flip at the last minute, but that's a really optimistic take.
dog

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #24549 on: September 27, 2018, 08:31:41 PM »
He needs to be taken out
:O

Propagandhim

« Reply #24550 on: September 27, 2018, 08:36:41 PM »

He is a fucking judge.

Not a rhetorical question:  Why is it his prerogative to allow for an FBI investigation?  Why are we relying on the desires of the accused if that's not the way it should be?  It's not a surprise that he would say no to an investigation spurned by people that are trying to deny a Republican judge pick at all costs.  Why do we need his go-ahead?

So his denial of an investigation is an indication of bad moral character.  The guy is a liar.  Why isn't the system set up to deal with this predicament?   Why are we relying on a liar and a morally bankrupt charlatan's prerogative here?  That's my question here.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24551 on: September 27, 2018, 08:37:13 PM »

Could be they've got 49 confirmed Yes are hoping that forcing the issue will cause one of the two No's to flip at the last minute, but that's a really optimistic take.

I think this is right. Collins and Murkowski (and maybe Flake) are probably not officially Yes at this point, and from McConnell's perspective waiting a week doesn't improve the odds, and leaves less time to squeeze a replacement through. They've been willing to hold votes on bills where they didn't have the votes for sure (ACA repeal, immigration, some other stuff I'm forgetting), so there's a precedent.

Still think he gets confirmed, but that seems like the state of things right now.

agrajag

« Reply #24552 on: September 27, 2018, 08:37:18 PM »
That's some circular logic homie.

agrajag

« Reply #24553 on: September 27, 2018, 08:38:42 PM »
I'm just saying guys, prepare for a punch to the gut in the form of Manchin voting yes. He was huddling with Collins, Murkowski and Flake. They are all gonna vote yes

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24554 on: September 27, 2018, 08:39:20 PM »
I think he is confirmed and this hurts the Republicans during the midterms. Then the voters forget by 2020.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #24555 on: September 27, 2018, 08:39:43 PM »
As noted earlier by a dissident voice with a Cassandra complex, an investigation wouldn't matter. The committee can already interview anyone they want to get their hands on, although an FBI investigation would be much faster (the one over Clarence Thomas lasted just four days, didn't it?). Even if Kavanaugh is innocent, which I don't believe, but assuming he was, he still wouldn't want an investigation to happen because all it does is put more attention on his accusers (and we already know what they're going to say—that he raped or attempted to rape them!), tarnish his name, and give Republicans another headache during the midterms.

The solution to all of this of course is to just drop him and take Amy Barrett but that would be way too easy.

I think he is confirmed and this hurts the Republicans during the midterms. Then the voters forget by 2020.
I don't think this really affects anyone who wasn't already disgusted by Trump. The needle won't budge, not even this year.
每天生气

Boredfrom

« Reply #24556 on: September 27, 2018, 08:41:09 PM »

He is a fucking judge.

So his denial of an investigation is an indication of bad moral character.  The guy is a liar.  Why isn't the system set up to deal with this predicament?   Why are we relying on a liar and a morally bankrupt charlatan's prerogative here?  That's my question here.

“Why people want to have some standards?”

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24557 on: September 27, 2018, 08:46:20 PM »
The committee can already interview anyone they want to get their hands on

how salient is that when they're deliberately not interviewing anyone else in order to protect kavanaugh?

agrajag

« Reply #24558 on: September 27, 2018, 08:47:02 PM »

My take is that this can't hurt them more than the already oncoming blue wave. The question is, does the confirmation energize the Republican voters to go to the polls, or do they stay complacent, basking in the euphoria of their victory?

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24559 on: September 27, 2018, 08:48:15 PM »

My take is that this can't hurt them more than the already oncoming blue wave. The question is, does the confirmation energize the Republican voters to go to the polls, or do they stay complacent, basking in the euphoria of their victory?

I'm largely skeptical of the blue wave, to be honest. Liberals don't show up to vote. If people are angered close to election, I see it as more likely.

Boredfrom

« Reply #24560 on: September 27, 2018, 08:50:22 PM »

I'm largely skeptical of the blue wave, to be honest. Liberals don't show up to vote. If people are angered close to election, I see it as more likely.

Lol People are perpetually angry at this point.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24561 on: September 27, 2018, 08:51:56 PM »

Dems are going to have a big margin in total votes cast in the House, but districting and clustering means they still might not get a majority. Could be the electoral college all over again.

agrajag

« Reply #24562 on: September 27, 2018, 08:51:57 PM »
well, if polls are to be believed (and I guess there is some lingering doubt concerning those), Democratic voters' enthusiasm is at a historic high compared to previous midterms. Sure, this might energize more women to come vote, but I tend to think the woman vote might've been near maxed out prior to this. And for any additional votes, Kav's performance today might drive more white men with a hurt sense of entitlement and "women for Kavanaugh" types to cancel the women vote out..

Propagandhim

« Reply #24563 on: September 27, 2018, 08:53:22 PM »

He is a fucking judge.

“Why people want to have some standards?”

True, they should have found a different nominee.  At the same time, I can understand stepping down would be a tacit admission of guilt, which would be completely unacceptable to an innocent man and could destroy your career forever.  So in the absence of the truth, I see him not backing down as reasonable.   Obviously I'm making these inferences from the assumption that he's innocent.  I can't imagine Ford is lying, either.  I'm genuinely at a loss with what to think with this.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24564 on: September 27, 2018, 08:54:34 PM »
True, they should have found a different nominee.  At the same time, I can understand stepping down would be a tacit admission of guilt, which would be completely unacceptable to an innocent man and could destroy your career forever.  So in the absence of the truth, I see him not backing down as reasonable.   Obviously I'm making these inferences from the assumption that he's innocent.  I can't imagine Ford is lying, either.  I'm genuinely at a loss with what to think with this.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
he's probably guilty, dude
[close]

agrajag

« Reply #24565 on: September 27, 2018, 08:55:14 PM »
The Jeff Flake of the Bore

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24566 on: September 27, 2018, 08:57:17 PM »
What I don't get are these TV ads imploring to confirm Kav...but they're like voter ads. This isn't a voter issue, so who are those ads targeting?

I see a lot of stuff like that but I'm in the DC media market, so those ads are also targeting Thought Leaders and Thinkfluencers.

These mostly aim at states with a potential swing vote Senator, or a close upcoming Senate race, trying to pressure them via public opinion.

shosta

« Reply #24567 on: September 27, 2018, 09:01:23 PM »
how salient is that when they're deliberately not interviewing anyone else in order to protect kavanaugh?
Well, the benefit of the subpoena is that they're under oath when they testify. Kavanaugh has already made statements about Ramirez and Swetnick under oath today. Swetnick herself already gave sworn testimony about her particular accusation. The only thing that would come out of hauling the accusers before Congress is to make a political circus for people to gawk at, and by extension the only point of an FBI investigation at this point is for them to write down their statements so that the senators can read them out loud to Kavanaugh and tell him he's an evil person. Which is what you want if you're a Democrat but ultimately inconsequential as far as the hearings are concerned. We already know everything we need to know. The Republicans have made up their mind. It's up to constituents to punish them for that should they choose to do so. I hope Murkowski and Collins don't betray women but you can't be sure.

This confirmation is ethically derelict, but I don't see this as some kind of perversion or neglect of process.
每天生气

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #24568 on: September 27, 2018, 09:01:46 PM »
Things can destroy the career of a conservative federal judge? News to me.

shosta

« Reply #24569 on: September 27, 2018, 09:04:49 PM »
By the way

It's not funny that a serial rapist will be occupying a political office that masquerades as an independent judiciary for life.
Yes it is!

Now that I fully realize he is going to be confirmed, it's not funny anymore
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24570 on: September 27, 2018, 09:08:15 PM »
Even with the handicap of working a cold case, you're selling short what investigators would be able to do, Shosta. Kavanaugh made a bunch of statements about his past behavior, specifically his drinking, that could be confirmed or refuted by third parties. Which is pretty relevant cause Kav's defense relies on asserting that he would never have an alcohol-fueled memory gap.

shosta

« Reply #24571 on: September 27, 2018, 09:20:34 PM »
First off, no, his defense relies on "I'm a good person, it never happened, here are all these women who also say I'm a good person and four witnesses in particular". Second, I forget the particular exchange but he explicitly denied ever being blackout drunk and then refused to answer the clarifying question, so he definitely has been, but honestly: if it suddenly was corroborated by a friend that he has been blackout drunk before, is that really a smoking gun? Or does that even provide a better picture of his life that can be used to determine whether or not he assaulted this woman in highschool?

He admitted to partying a lot. Saying he never blacked out is equivalent to "but I didn't inhale". There are several women willing to ruin his reputation and life by alleging sexual misconduct. That is enough for me, and it should be enough for everyone. If that isn't enough to budge the calculus of certain people then no amount of circumstantial evidence is, certainly not the fuzzy kind you'd get from an investigation. Be real.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24572 on: September 27, 2018, 09:26:16 PM »
Be real.

here i am being nice to you in spite of all your shitty posts and you come at me with this tone

for shame

shosta

« Reply #24573 on: September 27, 2018, 09:28:57 PM »
coward
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #24574 on: September 27, 2018, 09:31:13 PM »
Whatever happened to Nola?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24575 on: September 27, 2018, 09:58:53 PM »
I know sometimes it feels like things couldn't possibly get any worse and that eventually it'll start to get better, but then a day like today happens and it reminds us all that things can always get worse and there's no guarantee that tomorrow will be better.
dog

Propagandhim

« Reply #24576 on: September 27, 2018, 10:03:35 PM »
I know sometimes it feels like things couldn't possibly get any worse and that eventually it'll start to get better, but then a day like today happens and it reminds us all that things can always get worse and there's no guarantee that tomorrow will be better.

And then Ginsberg and Breyer die in an incumbent presidency.

shosta

« Reply #24577 on: September 27, 2018, 10:22:11 PM »
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #24578 on: September 27, 2018, 10:25:08 PM »
Kristol's smug avatar makes those tweets

shosta

每天生气

kingv

« Reply #24580 on: September 27, 2018, 11:34:23 PM »

I do feel like if this happens the Dems have a solid shot at taking the Senate. Something that would have been unheard of 18 months ago.

I suspect if Republicans can get to 51, they will pick up Manchin.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #24581 on: September 28, 2018, 03:21:37 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/09/kavanaugh/570409/

Just for a not completely crazy conservative opinion.
ὕβρις

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #24582 on: September 28, 2018, 03:57:49 AM »
luckily he's a shitty gambler, so there's still a slim chance his bookie will cut his brake lines

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24583 on: September 28, 2018, 06:44:24 AM »
American Bar Association: Delay Kavanaugh until FBI investigates assault allegations
In a strongly worded letter obtained by CNN Thursday, the organization said it is making the extraordinary request "because of the ABA's respect for the rule of law and due process under law," siding with concerns voiced by Senate Democrats since Christine Blasey Ford's decades-old allegations became public.

"The basic principles that underscore the Senate's constitutional duty of advice and consent on federal judicial nominees require nothing less than a careful examination of the accusations and facts by the FBI," said Robert Carlson, president of the organization, in a Thursday night letter addressed to Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley and ranking Democrat Dianne Feinstein.

"Each appointment to our nation's Highest Court (as with all others) is simply too important to rush to a vote," Carlson wrote. "Deciding to proceed without conducting additional investigation would not only have a lasting impact on the Senate's reputation, but it will also negatively affect the great trust necessary for the American people to have in the Supreme Court."
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/27/politics/kavanaugh-american-bar-association/index.html

Propagandhim

« Reply #24584 on: September 28, 2018, 08:32:49 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/09/kavanaugh/570409/

Just for a not completely crazy conservative opinion.

Frum doesn't admit he's the quintessential moderate because he knows how toxic that word is, plus he loves to preamble all his letters with "As a conservative", as some sort of credit to himself when he's always cosigning to the Democrat perspective on contention.   God, David.  Just say you're a progressive that leans right on a few things.  Who cares?  You're right most of the time anyway, you war criminal.   

:smug

agrajag

« Reply #24585 on: September 28, 2018, 09:38:10 AM »
Reports are saying Flake is a yes. Quelle surprise.

james

« Reply #24586 on: September 28, 2018, 09:53:09 AM »
This country is lost because the greatest objection to this attack on democracy the left can muster is "dont forget to vote in November"

Not "shut down the highways"
Not "call a general strike"
Not "launch guerrilla warfare"

Just "dont forget to vote (even though none of the resetera mods do)"

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24587 on: September 28, 2018, 10:11:49 AM »
Quote from: Jeff Flake
After hearing more than 30 hours of testimony from Judge Kavanaugh earlier this month, I was prepared to support his nomination based on his view of the law and record as a judge. In fact, I commented at the time that had he been nominated in another era, he would have likely received 90+ votes.

When Dr. Ford's allegations against Judge Kavanaugh surfaced two weeks ago, I insisted that she be allowed to testify before the committee moved to vote. Yesterday, we heard compelling testimony from Dr. Ford, as well as a persuasive response from Judge Kavanaugh. I wish that I could express the confidence that some of my colleagues have conveyed about what either did or did not happen in the early 1980s, but I left the hearing yesterday with as much doubt as certainty.

What I do know is that our system of justice affords a presumption of innocence to the accused, absent corroborating evidence. That is what binds us to the rule of law. While some may argue that a different standard should apply regarding the Senate's advice and consent responsibilities, I believe that the constitution's provisions of fairness and due process apply here as well.

Last paragraph is such bullshit. He's not extending "due process" to this case to live up to the spirit of the law, he's taking the one thing from the criminal justice system (presumption of innocence) that would help Kavanaugh while ignoring the rest (a police investigation, calling multiple witnesses, etc.).

As Stro pointed out, there's a possible eyewitness that they're just letting chill in Bethany Beach! Hell, there are two other women who have gone public with accusations and there seems to be zero interest from the SJC in hearing them.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24588 on: September 28, 2018, 10:17:52 AM »
Never mind that this isn't a criminal case, it's a job interview. For the one of the most important jobs in the entire country.

Flake is just being true to his name.
dog

agrajag

« Reply #24589 on: September 28, 2018, 10:19:34 AM »

How dude that is shamelessly lying about his past right now have the character for the highest office in the judicial branch?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24590 on: September 28, 2018, 10:28:24 AM »
Round of applause to all the sites that ran "Has #metoo Gone Too Far?" essays the last couple months.

Amazing timing, guys.

Propagandhim

« Reply #24591 on: September 28, 2018, 10:39:32 AM »

How dude that is shamelessly lying about his past right now have the character for the highest office in the judicial branch?

Too bad Cuomo ruined it by putting it out there in the interview that this woman is a Republican.    Now Era-minded folks can't use this video because there's no integrity in a racist's testimony.  Huge loss. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24592 on: September 28, 2018, 10:40:58 AM »
you dipshits keep the other forum talk to the trash thread

Propagandhim

« Reply #24593 on: September 28, 2018, 10:41:54 AM »
you dipshits keep the other forum talk to the trash thread

:goty2  Sorry

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24595 on: September 28, 2018, 10:43:08 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/national/health-science/trump-administration-sees-a-7-degree-rise-in-global-temperatures-by-2100/2018/09/27/

Best part is that they're using a dire projection of global warming to argue AGAINST emission standards, on the reasoning of "we're fucked anyways."

agrajag

« Reply #24596 on: September 28, 2018, 10:43:26 AM »

Too bad Cuomo ruined it by putting it out there in the interview that this woman is a Republican.    Now Era-minded folks can't use this video because there's no integrity in a racist's testimony.  Huge loss.

this isn't the Era thread, guy.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24597 on: September 28, 2018, 10:49:07 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/national/health-science/trump-administration-sees-a-7-degree-rise-in-global-temperatures-by-2100/2018/09/27/

Best part is that they're using a dire projection of global warming to argue AGAINST emission standards, on the reasoning of "we're fucked anyways."

Step 1: Argue that climate change isn't real and oppose any and all legislation to curb greenhouse gases until we're past the point where climate change can be stopped
Step 2: Admit that climate change can't be stopped so there's no longer any reason to curb greenhouse gases
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit...?
dog

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24598 on: September 28, 2018, 10:49:55 AM »
"Nobody really knows how the climate is going to change."

"The data shows temperatures have plateaued and might be falling."

"The data shows temperatures rising, but only because they were rigged."

"Rising temperatures are caused by sunspot activity."

"Of course humans are causing global warming, but it's too late to do anything about it."

:spin

james

« Reply #24599 on: September 28, 2018, 10:54:04 AM »
Im making a ranking of shithole countries and Im having trouble slotting the US in

1. Syria
2. Venezuela
3. USA
4. North Korea
5. Zimbabwe

Thoughts?