Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5453335 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| The Mushroom Character from Mario Kart
« Reply #24600 on: September 28, 2018, 10:54:34 AM »
Step 1: Argue that climate change isn't real and oppose any and all legislation to curb greenhouse gases until we're past the point where climate change can be stopped
Step 2: Admit that climate change can't be stopped so there's no longer any reason to curb greenhouse gases
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit...?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/08/exxon-climate-change-1981-climate-denier-funding

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24601 on: September 28, 2018, 10:58:46 AM »
A lot of the people who made a living off climate change denial did similar work for the tobacco industry previously.

Which just shows that COPD is a leftist conspiracy.

Propagandhim

« Reply #24602 on: September 28, 2018, 11:08:21 AM »
It's always been strange to me that the idea of this environmental catastrophe which will absolutely ensure massive migrant crisis never moves the needle in these so called anti-globalists minds.   You'd think that if cartoon depictions of Manhattan underwater isn't going to work, the ones with massive swells of migrants seeking refuge into Europe and North America would make them be cautious in the absence of absolute belief or comprehension of the problem.  Like they would decide it'd be a good time to appeal to authority when it concerns your worst nightmare -- demographic displacement.    But they don't -- they don't budge.    It's like you can't even speak to their own nature. 

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #24603 on: September 28, 2018, 11:13:15 AM »
They probably just figure they’ll die. Gotta get closer to that Georgia Guidestone ideal

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #24604 on: September 28, 2018, 11:14:16 AM »
A friend of mine who was raped in high school is having a really horrible time today, I dont know what to message her
:O

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #24605 on: September 28, 2018, 11:14:23 AM »
It's always been strange to me that the idea of this environmental catastrophe which will absolutely ensure massive migrant crisis never moves the needle in these so called anti-globalists minds.   You'd think that if cartoon depictions of Manhattan underwater isn't going to work, the ones with massive swells of migrants seeking refuge into Europe and North America would make them be cautious in the absence of absolute belief or comprehension of the problem.  Like they would decide it'd be a good time to appeal to authority when it concerns your worst nightmare -- demographic displacement.    But they don't -- they don't budge.    It's like you can't even speak to their own nature.

Why worry when your militaries have been murdering people in the periphery for decades? Are they going to care when it's 50 miles off the coast instead of 5,000 and mutiny?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #24606 on: September 28, 2018, 11:18:21 AM »
I called and emailed Corker

not that it'll matter
püp

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24607 on: September 28, 2018, 11:19:50 AM »
Im making a ranking of shithole countries and Im having trouble slotting the US in

1. Syria
2. Venezuela
3. USA
4. North Korea
5. Zimbabwe

Thoughts?

Move NK up a spot and it's not a bad start.

james

« Reply #24608 on: September 28, 2018, 11:22:46 AM »
Im making a ranking of shithole countries and Im having trouble slotting the US in

1. Syria
2. Venezuela
3. USA
4. North Korea
5. Zimbabwe

Thoughts?

Move NK up a spot and it's not a bad start.

My reasoning is that most of the North Korean people are probably pretty decent.

Propagandhim

« Reply #24609 on: September 28, 2018, 11:24:20 AM »

Why worry when your militaries have been murdering people in the periphery for decades? Are they going to care when it's 50 miles off the coast instead of 5,000 and mutiny?

No, I mean they actually don't think such a crisis is going to occur.  It's not even a possibility for them.  All their arguments concern the falsity of the problem, not their ability to maintain the current system in the face of it.  The Himalayan glaciers will melt, threatening the water supply of all of South East Asia.  300 million in India already have no access to clean water.  Those glaciers alone will pose a huge problem.  If you really prod these people, they actually truly don't believe they'll even melt, not that they don't understand how a problem in India will affect them in Europe and America.  You can't get through to them.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 11:32:38 AM by Propagandhim »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24610 on: September 28, 2018, 11:25:11 AM »
Two more things about Kavanaugh that are bugging me:

First, the legal drinking age thing. He says it was legal for seniors to drink since the age was 18 in Maryland at the time. In fact it was raised to 21 when he was still 17. There is NO WAY he doesn't remember that. Imagine a bunch of boozy teenagers on the cusp of buying beer legally, then at the last moment they have to wait three more years. Especially for a teen who would testify to Congress decades later about how deeply he loves beer. That would have been a huge grievance and they would have spent months bitching about it.

Second, saying the four witnesses "contradicted" Ford's testimony, or exonerated him, or however he phrased it. They said they didn't remember a specific party 35 years ago, which is a very different thing. This is already shitty behavior whenever a politician or operative repeats it as a talking point, but he's a judge up for a SCOTUS seat. He's deliberately lying about the probative value of evidence! He's a judge! That's not good!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have a wicked sinus infection and my whole day is going to be spent Mad Online.
[close]

agrajag

« Reply #24611 on: September 28, 2018, 11:25:49 AM »

They'll be dead by the time that happens. Why worry about your children's future when you can line your pockets in the present?

agrajag

« Reply #24612 on: September 28, 2018, 11:28:12 AM »
Yeah, I've been thinking about that second point as well, Mandark. He's already shown to not be an unbiased or competent judge by misrepresenting witnesses. That alone should disqualify him, but GOP don't curr.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24613 on: September 28, 2018, 11:29:52 AM »
REMEMBER WHEN TED CRUZ TREATED JAMES GUNN'S EDGELORD TWEETS AS A CONFESSION TO ACTUAL CRIMES AND SAID HE SHOULD BE PROSECUTED!?

agrajag

« Reply #24614 on: September 28, 2018, 11:30:40 AM »
No? That actually happened?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24615 on: September 28, 2018, 11:33:08 AM »
https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1020665661486522368

Clearly more credible than women coming forward as victims.

agrajag

« Reply #24616 on: September 28, 2018, 11:36:57 AM »
What a joke.

james

« Reply #24617 on: September 28, 2018, 11:46:09 AM »
I need to log off before I start punching the screen

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #24618 on: September 28, 2018, 11:48:21 AM »
I'd love for Beto to beat that ass, even though I don't see it.
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #24619 on: September 28, 2018, 11:49:25 AM »
No, I mean they actually don't think such a crisis is going to occur.  It's not even a possibility for them.  All their arguments concern the falsity of the problem, not their ability to maintain the current system in the face of it.  The Himalayan glaciers will melt, threatening the water supply of all of South East Asia.  300 million in India already have no access to clean water.  Those glaciers alone will pose a huge problem.  If you really prod these people, they actually truly don't believe they'll even melt, not that they don't understand how a problem in India will affect them in Europe and America.  You can't get through to them.

The other week I was a party to a meeting about something I can't be specific about. The person affected by the issue had trinal citizenship, one of which was to a country people assume will not be as affected by anthropogenic climate change as everywhere else because part of it lies within the Arctic Circle. That particular citizenship was causing the brunt of the issue we were meeting about so eventually someone on my side of the table asked why the person just didn't relinquish it. Their response was: "Because when all the ice caps melt I'm going there."

Propagandhim

« Reply #24620 on: September 28, 2018, 11:52:21 AM »
Two more things about Kavanaugh that are bugging me:

First, the legal drinking age thing. He says it was legal for seniors to drink since the age was 18 in Maryland at the time. In fact it was raised to 21 when he was still 17. There is NO WAY he doesn't remember that. Imagine a bunch of boozy teenagers on the cusp of buying beer legally, then at the last moment they have to wait three more years. Especially for a teen who would testify to Congress decades later about how deeply he loves beer. That would have been a huge grievance and they would have spent months bitching about it.

Second, saying the four witnesses "contradicted" Ford's testimony, or exonerated him, or however he phrased it. They said they didn't remember a specific party 35 years ago, which is a very different thing. This is already shitty behavior whenever a politician or operative repeats it as a talking point, but he's a judge up for a SCOTUS seat. He's deliberately lying about the probative value of evidence! He's a judge! That's not good!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have a wicked sinus infection and my whole day is going to be spent Mad Online.
[close]

Also, this might be a kind of facile perspective on things, but if the Republicans tried to push through a different nominee, then it would look extremely suspect if the Democrats try to block the new one.  Like, picking someone else is just such a no-brainer.  Kavanaugh doesn't even have to admit to the allegations if the Republicans just take the responsibility here.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 12:01:57 PM by Propagandhim »

agrajag

« Reply #24621 on: September 28, 2018, 11:57:51 AM »
Na, this is a full on idpol culture war for them and Kav is their poster boy at the moment. They are all in on this. See: Lindsay Graham.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #24622 on: September 28, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »
Gorsuch never had anything like this happen to him during confirmation. Just last year. Maybe the gop should bring better people.
©ZH

james

« Reply #24623 on: September 28, 2018, 12:00:03 PM »
Someone log me off the internet please I cant do it

:rage :rage :rage :rage

I havre fucking work deadlines 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24624 on: September 28, 2018, 12:00:09 PM »
Yeah, a bunch of old rich white guys saw the prospect of an old rich white guy losing out on a promotion based on the testimony of a woman and circled the fucking wagons.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24625 on: September 28, 2018, 12:01:08 PM »
Someone log me off the internet please I cant do it

:rage :rage :rage :rage

I havre fucking work deadlines

Join us, brother, and we shall be Mad Online together.

:rejoice

Propagandhim

« Reply #24626 on: September 28, 2018, 12:05:48 PM »

The other week I was a party to a meeting about something I can't be specific about. The person affected by the issue had trinal citizenship, one of which was to a country people assume will not be as affected by anthropogenic climate change as everywhere else because part of it lies within the Arctic Circle. That particular citizenship was causing the brunt of the issue we were meeting about so eventually someone on my side of the table asked why the person just didn't relinquish it. Their response was: "Because when all the ice caps melt I'm going there."

That's great.  The only thing stopping an integrated worldwide environmental population catastrophe is a social security number.   So he/she believes it's genuinely going to happen, but doesn't understand what exactly is happening.  There are so many points of resistance to go through with these people.   We are so fucked.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #24627 on: September 28, 2018, 12:09:27 PM »
cruz getting told to shut the fuck up by grassley is almost enough to make me forget this nomination.

james

« Reply #24629 on: September 28, 2018, 12:58:52 PM »
Putin was right

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24630 on: September 28, 2018, 01:20:30 PM »
CBS* has been livestreaming if anyone is interested:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 01:34:20 PM by Maiden Voyage »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #24631 on: September 28, 2018, 01:22:57 PM »
I don’t wanna be mad today.
©@©™

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #24633 on: September 28, 2018, 01:24:36 PM »

I don't hate myself nearly enough to watch that shit today.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24634 on: September 28, 2018, 01:31:52 PM »
Get in the muck and mire with me lads!

james

« Reply #24635 on: September 28, 2018, 01:32:17 PM »
You know what I need right now?

Bowsette

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24637 on: September 28, 2018, 01:39:04 PM »
This is not good for my blood pressure.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #24638 on: September 28, 2018, 01:39:21 PM »
Flake ain't gonna do shit
püp

Maiden Voyage

• Junior

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #24640 on: September 28, 2018, 01:45:03 PM »
I thought it was common knowledge that stinkles was preet?

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24641 on: September 28, 2018, 01:46:57 PM »
They're back in the room... Ugh.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #24643 on: September 28, 2018, 01:48:30 PM »
Is it ok to throw up at work? Does bile clean out of keyboards easily?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24644 on: September 28, 2018, 01:50:05 PM »

WELL YOU PICKED THE WRONG DAY

james

« Reply #24645 on: September 28, 2018, 01:50:58 PM »
Im going to get fucking fired hurry this the fuck up I have a fucking deadline

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #24646 on: September 28, 2018, 01:57:39 PM »
democrats are stupid and got hoodwinked by flake.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24647 on: September 28, 2018, 02:01:06 PM »
It's going to the floor. Don't get fired over this bullshit.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #24649 on: September 28, 2018, 02:05:16 PM »
Did c-span just go down?

wow

stufte

« Reply #24650 on: September 28, 2018, 02:05:42 PM »
This is a gentleman's and woman's agreement, ya'll.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24651 on: September 28, 2018, 02:07:53 PM »
Flake is such a moron. Or a tool. Or both.
dog

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24653 on: September 28, 2018, 02:10:56 PM »

james

« Reply #24655 on: September 28, 2018, 02:14:58 PM »
Good.

This gives more time to share the stories of the other women. Maybe more will come forward.

I hope Avanetti has 60 minutes lined up. Even better, bring back Barbara Walters.

Also, one of the geezers might have a heart attack.

Every day counts.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #24656 on: September 28, 2018, 02:15:05 PM »
All these cowards are going to bat for a rapist.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24657 on: September 28, 2018, 02:17:45 PM »
You'll cowards won't even vote for a rapist.

agrajag

« Reply #24658 on: September 28, 2018, 02:24:21 PM »
If this stall tactic works, it might actually work out for the best.

Think about it. Democrats are so scared of being viewed as obstructionist. If Kav ends up getting rejected and Repubs try to ram through some milquetoast conservative judge before the midterms, some Dems will most definitely will feel inclined to vote for him out of professionalism and desire not to appear partisan. They're soft like that. So the best case scenario for them is to be in a Kavanaugh limbo until after midterms where they hopefully can pick up a couple of senate seats.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24659 on: September 28, 2018, 02:36:25 PM »
I think what happened is Flake read my utterly scathing post and got shook.