Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5442794 times)

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| The Mushroom Character from Mario Kart
« Reply #24840 on: October 01, 2018, 11:41:44 PM »
https://twitter.com/RobinWigg/status/1046183645155926016

If bankers can be protected from prosecution for laundering money for terrorists, sex traffickers and drug dealers using the excuse that they don't want to "harm the economy" I'm quite sure they'd do the same for a CEO that wrote a dumb tweet.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #24841 on: October 02, 2018, 12:50:34 AM »
Kavanaugh is another example of the coverup is worse than the crime.

In my opinion, if he had just owned up to both incidents, said he had trouble with drinking when he was younger and has since found god or something and then apologized to both chicks, he would have skated through with 53 votes to confirm.

But now, the lying itself is reason not to confirm him.
Freeze frame, record scratch

Yup, that's me, the guy pinning a woman down and ripping her bathing suit off to rape her. You're probably wondering how I got here. Well, it all started with my first beer at my best friend Squee's house...
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24843 on: October 02, 2018, 01:01:58 AM »
he'll be able to buy so many baseball tickets

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #24844 on: October 02, 2018, 01:07:04 AM »
Squee will always be a goblin nabob to me.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #24848 on: October 02, 2018, 06:15:18 AM »
Last week, the Indy Star apologized for publishing this “offensive” cartoon.

As you can see, it’s really not bad at all, especially when you consider that she DID initially have like, 456 unreasonable demands.

People were RAGING over that cartoon. But this? This cartoon is a gazillion times WORSE. It’s actually sickening.

No words. This is simply disgusting.

Seriously. What editor approved that? It’s gross.

Just when I thought they couldn’t sink any lower. Wow.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24849 on: October 02, 2018, 07:01:31 AM »

Quote from: DEMOCRAT/REPUBLICAN DIVIDE IS WORST IT’S EVER BEEN
Party polarization is even worse than most people think, according to a new Michigan State University study.

And neither party can shoulder the blame, as it doesn’t matter which party is in charge, said Zachary Neal, associate professor of psychology and global urban studies.

“What I’ve found is that polarization has been steadily getting worse since the early 1970s,” he said. “Today, we’ve hit the ceiling on polarization. At these levels, it will be difficult to make any progress on social or economic policies.”

In one of the first studies to address polarization not only in terms of who works together, but also who doesn’t, Neal analyzed publicly available data on who sponsors bills in Congress from 1973 to 2016. He specifically looked at how often politicians from both sides of the aisle co-sponsor legislation.

Published in the journal Social Networks, the study found although thousands of bills are introduced each year, the average representative or senator co-sponsors only about 200. And when they decide with whom to co-sponsor bills, they view nearly half of their colleagues as “the opposition.” 

While it’s hard to imagine incivility among Democrats and Republicans getting worse, it likely will, Neal said, especially if one party barely holds the majority.

The Affordable Care Act is an example, Neal said. The Democrats held a slim majority — just enough to get the bill passed. Then the Republicans took control, again with a slim majority, and tried to repeal it.

“We’re seeing lots of animosity in politics,” he said. “Although bills do occasionally get passed, they don’t stick around long enough, or never get fully implemented, and therefore don’t have lasting impact. This kind of partisanship means that our democracy has reached a kind of stalemate.”

So, what’s the solution?

It could be electing more centrists to Congress, Neal said. But that’ll be tough because centrists often don’t appeal to American voters, who are increasingly polarized too.

“This study raises new questions about the future of Congressional politics,” he said. “In truth, the only thing that is bi-partisan in Congress is the trend toward greater polarization.”

I don't normally paste the entire article/post, but this is just the MSU blog. The actual study is here.

And supplemental video:

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #24850 on: October 02, 2018, 07:18:28 AM »
Calling for people to "vote differently" makes no sense unless you change something about the equation that led to this polarization. You can't just ask people to be less tribal when the underlying voting system supports tribalism.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #24851 on: October 02, 2018, 08:26:10 AM »
Calling for people to "vote differently" makes no sense unless you change something about the equation that led to this polarization. You can't just ask people to be less tribal when the underlying voting system supports tribalism.
kinda agree but i also think there's an onus on individuals to do some homework when they vote and not define themselves entirely in opposition to the other party; look on re, i bet the ones who bother to vote in the u.s will vote democrat purely because "fuck trump and gop are nazis controlled by russian gamergoobers" and probably can't tell you a great deal about their preferred candidate and policies

kingv

« Reply #24852 on: October 02, 2018, 08:49:01 AM »
https://twitter.com/RobinWigg/status/1046183645155926016

We wouldn't want fines to be inconvenient, now, would we ? :success

They’re probably kind of right, but not because Musk is a great ceo, but because he is such a bad one and Tesla is so over-valued.

A more traditional CEO will cause the street to evaluate Tesla using common sense and the same rules applied to other companies, and their stock would crash.

agrajag

« Reply #24853 on: October 02, 2018, 09:27:02 AM »
Good summary of Bart's lies under oath

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #24854 on: October 02, 2018, 11:10:26 AM »
This Supreme Court debacle can boost republicans to the polls for this election.

this is fucking cringe as fuck. I wonder if CNN thinks this helps the Dems???

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #24855 on: October 02, 2018, 11:31:47 AM »
Yep, you've secured an ignore.
püp

Leadbelly

« Reply #24856 on: October 02, 2018, 12:06:51 PM »
making a dramatic exit from a thread cause nobody was applauding your shitty posts

maybe they were right about the crisis of masculinity

What... No I just found it pointless responding to your moronic posts. It became obvious quick that you weren't actually reading my posts you were just trying one-up me. I'm not playing that game with you.

Boredfrom

« Reply #24857 on: October 02, 2018, 12:13:17 PM »
Assimilate... I sincerely cannot see how you can have that hot take about that video.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #24858 on: October 02, 2018, 12:24:00 PM »
What... No I just found it pointless responding to your moronic posts. It became obvious quick that you weren't actually reading my posts you were just trying one-up me. I'm not playing that game with you.
and yet here we are

Leadbelly

« Reply #24859 on: October 02, 2018, 12:27:11 PM »
and yet here we are

You mean explaining why I left the thread? Cool. Here I am indeed.

Propagandhim

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #24861 on: October 02, 2018, 12:31:29 PM »
and yet here we are

You mean explaining why I left the thread? Cool. Here I am indeed.

lol "i'm leaving" *sticks around to see if anyone talks about him* I MUST PROTECT MY HONOR

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #24862 on: October 02, 2018, 12:55:02 PM »
Carry on. I leave you to your nonsense. I can't be bothered with it.:p

I don't give a shit quite frankly about Kavanaugh

Nah, I will leave you to it. I don't want to it to be about me either.

I'm leaving this thread.

:trumps

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #24863 on: October 02, 2018, 01:01:38 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #24864 on: October 02, 2018, 01:09:20 PM »
That's why you gotta hand it to Nintex, he just takes it all on the chin.
Easily his most endearing quality, cause he'd have every right to be pissed.

If he were just generally dumb and not credulously posting racist propaganda, it'd probably be enough to make me like him.
:uguu

Anyway,
If the Kavanaugh thing blows up right before the election (and it seems to be headed that way) it's going to increase turn-out significantly among the conservative right. As it adds to the 'Dems only obstruct and delay' narrative.
If it doesn't blow up they'll have a big 'win' right before the election. If it blows up and they lose the election well...

Trump's just happy he has some red meat to throw at the base during his rallies. At the same time he can blame the Republicans they lost the midterms because they didn't get 'their guy' in.
Impeachment is a long way off no matter what the Dems say prior to election and as long as he is the President Trump doesn't care that Congress is gridlocked or he's a "lame duck" president.
🤴

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #24865 on: October 02, 2018, 01:17:18 PM »
Is there any actual proof that this supreme court nonsense is firing up conservative voters?
püp

kingv

« Reply #24866 on: October 02, 2018, 01:22:01 PM »
p sure waving your dick at someone can be considered sexual harassment, yes

Free eggman

agrajag

« Reply #24867 on: October 02, 2018, 01:26:38 PM »
I'm not convinced the nomination is getting blown up.

kingv

« Reply #24868 on: October 02, 2018, 01:34:13 PM »

Is there any actual proof that this supreme court nonsense is firing up conservative voters?

Twitter.

:girlaff

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #24869 on: October 02, 2018, 01:58:42 PM »
They’re probably kind of right, but not because Musk is a great ceo, but because he is such a bad one and Tesla is so over-valued.

A more traditional CEO will cause the street to evaluate Tesla using common sense and the same rules applied to other companies, and their stock would crash.

I don't care about that so much as the economist galaxy brain "fines are paid out of funds that would have gone to shareholders so they're bad" take. That might supplant "minimum wage increases distort prices so they're bad" or "antitrust law is solely about protecting consumers" on my top takes table depending on how often it is used to exempt entities and officers from the (actual) rule of law.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #24870 on: October 02, 2018, 02:09:18 PM »
:doge

Leadbelly

« Reply #24871 on: October 02, 2018, 02:09:33 PM »
lol "i'm leaving" *sticks around to see if anyone talks about him* I MUST PROTECT MY HONOR

I'm leaving meant yesterday. It is the next day. A day has passed between leaving the thread and entering it.

agrajag

« Reply #24872 on: October 02, 2018, 02:14:09 PM »
:mindblown

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #24873 on: October 02, 2018, 02:16:11 PM »
(Image removed from quote.) :doge
"Kavanaugh and Denise were at the house of Denises mom and Kavanaugh opened the cookie jar without asking and stole a cookie. Denise told her parents that the person stealing their cookies was in fact her friend Kavanaugh.
When confronted days later her parents also discovered Kavanaugh had not returned the ATARI games he had borrowed from Denise for over a year."

"In his defense Brett said that he "LIKED BEER" and asked if Denises mom had ever passed out because she drank too much and didn't remember where she was the next day.
However he denied ever stealing cookies or ATARI games."
🤴

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #24874 on: October 02, 2018, 02:29:02 PM »
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/feds-several-arrests-connection-charlottesville-145422878.html
Federal authorities in Virginia have arrested several individuals in connection with the violence in Charlottesville in August 2017, a U.S. official said Tuesday.

Four men were slapped with federal conspiracy charges related to the rallies on Aug. 11 and 12: Cole Evan White, Benjamin Drake Daley, Michael Paul Miselis and Thomas Walter Gillen, each identified as marchers in either the torch rally on campus or the deadly gathering at the park the next day.

"Just another example of good people getting in trouble for things done in the past."  :letsfukk
©ZH

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #24875 on: October 02, 2018, 02:48:45 PM »
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/zoetillman/brett-kavanaugh-democrats-ethics-question-supreme-court

The ethical sticking points for Kavanaugh are multifold whether he joins the Supreme Court or stays on the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit, where he currently sits. Kavanaugh's angry jabs at Democrats and liberal groups could be grounds for recusal requests in either court. Ethics complaints have been filed against Kavanaugh in the DC Circuit, including at least one claiming he lied about the sexual assault allegations against him. Ethics experts say there's no precedent for what happens to those complaints if he's elevated to the Supreme Court. For now, they're under the purview of the DC Circuit chief judge — former Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland.

©ZH

Leadbelly

« Reply #24876 on: October 02, 2018, 02:54:12 PM »
Kavanaugh is another example of the coverup is worse than the crime.

In my opinion, if he had just owned up to both incidents, said he had trouble with drinking when he was younger and has since found god or something and then apologized to both chicks, he would have skated through with 53 votes to confirm.

But now, the lying itself is reason not to confirm him.

When one was potentially an attempted rape admitting to it would be a crime. That said, in terms of the Ford testimony, it was hazy, she didn't know what house she was in or how she got there or anything. She had no one to corroborate her story. All the people she claimed were there did not recall the party. It was a testimony with zero evidence.

So if he did admit to it, then he would be in trouble, but he didn't have to lie about other things. The lies are really odd as well, like 'Boof' and 'Devil's triangle'. Why lie about that? Lying about drinking. I guess he could get away with that actually. He didn't deny drinking or that sometimes he drunk a lot, he denied ever getting 'black out' drunk. He technically could be paralytic, but not actually 'black out' as in lose his memory. So there are things that are odd he lied about, but other things that even if he lied, he probably could get away with if asked to testify again.

The other incidents though, in today's climate they mean something, but if I was to be honest I don't really care if he exposed himself to a girl while drunk at a party when he was a teenager and I don't believe anyone else does either. Not saying it is right, just that teenagers do really dumb shit and it is now 40 years later. So yeah, in terms of that alleged incident, one might think an apology is reasonable. In the current climate, he would probably be fucked.

Of course with the other accusations it is not those accustions on their own but in relation with the Ford testimony which again is potentially attempted rape.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #24877 on: October 02, 2018, 03:31:00 PM »

Hot Slice

« Reply #24878 on: October 02, 2018, 04:39:59 PM »
Got my ass downtown and registered/updated registration to vote today.

Office was near empty.  :lol

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24879 on: October 02, 2018, 04:52:45 PM »
I don't care about that so much as the economist galaxy brain "fines are paid out of funds that would have gone to shareholders so they're bad" take.

"The shareholders didn't do this so it's not fair to punish them" ie the owners of a company have a right to profit off of it but no obligation to govern it or any responsibility for its actions.

Can almost guarantee this guy thinks SNAP is bad cause it removes the incentive for poor people to work.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #24880 on: October 02, 2018, 04:56:37 PM »
Assimilate... I sincerely cannot see how you can have that hot take about that video.
Really? You can't see a problem with emotional outbursts while a guy is sitting in the elevator simply saying I understand your concern but there needs to be evidence?

Or crushing a man's family and career with crybaby antics from the mob is all it takes? (don't answer this, the bore is a branch of one of the worst mob groups online forums have ever seen)

Kavanauh seems like a sleazy stupid fuck but shit like this does not help. It only strengthens the Republicans and the people that see this as nothing more than leftwing hysteria.

:six:
my concerns! my identity! you are questioning my right to exist!

Yep, you've secured an ignore.
I've never seen a bigger pussboy than you.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24881 on: October 02, 2018, 04:59:47 PM »
brasil banned mirrors?

Boredfrom

« Reply #24882 on: October 02, 2018, 05:00:04 PM »
 :lol

Dude, that outburst at least contributed to made him accept a FBI investigation.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #24883 on: October 02, 2018, 05:04:34 PM »

Dude, that outburst at least contributed to made him accept a FBI investigation.

Ok, that may be so but it doesn't make it any less cringe and hysterical.

What did Kavanaugh even do? I read he was forceful with a girl when he was 17, no rape committed, and he whipped his dick out at a party once in front of some broad?

The hysteria doesn't fit the crime.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24884 on: October 02, 2018, 05:07:41 PM »
you called him a "sleazy stupid fuck" yourself

just like with daddy p, you don't rock with bart o'kavanaugh

yer just feeling feisty

agrajag

« Reply #24885 on: October 02, 2018, 05:09:50 PM »
Rape survivors are cringe and hysterical, they should just shut the fuck up and go back to the kitchen where they belong amirite

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24886 on: October 02, 2018, 05:12:13 PM »
could be worse, they could have been yelling and weeping about how much they love beer at a senate hearing

Boredfrom

« Reply #24887 on: October 02, 2018, 05:14:15 PM »
I dunno if people are comfortable of having a SCOTUS that has a undisclosed history of being a molester and a drunktard.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24888 on: October 02, 2018, 05:21:23 PM »
Got my ass downtown and registered/updated registration to vote today.

Office was near empty.  :lol

My ballot is on my desk at home. Looking forward to voting straight anti-incumbent.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #24889 on: October 02, 2018, 05:23:03 PM »

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #24890 on: October 02, 2018, 05:33:27 PM »
I love happy endings :)

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #24891 on: October 02, 2018, 05:34:48 PM »
Rape survivors are cringe and hysterical, they should just shut the fuck up and go back to the kitchen where they belong amirite

So anyone that has ever been wronged should be able to scream in an emotional outburst at anyone they want? Yeah that makes perfect fucking sense.

you called him a "sleazy stupid fuck" yourself

just like with daddy p, you don't rock with bart o'kavanaugh

yer just feeling feisty
Right, he shouldn't be on the Supreme Court but that does not mean I will go shouting at some dudes face in an elevator like some uncontrolled twat.

agrajag

« Reply #24892 on: October 02, 2018, 05:38:24 PM »
Rape victims have every right to "scream" at a senator who is trying to erase their voices by refusing to properly vet a rapist before voting him through to be a Supreme Court Justice.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #24893 on: October 02, 2018, 05:38:27 PM »

I don't care about that so much as the economist galaxy brain "fines are paid out of funds that would have gone to shareholders so they're bad" take. That might supplant "minimum wage increases distort prices so they're bad" or "antitrust law is solely about protecting consumers" on my top takes table depending on how often it is used to exempt entities and officers from the (actual) rule of law.

Yeah that's also what bothered me. You could apply such a simplistic line to dismiss any form of punishment or regulation. Musk not being forced to step down is an afterthought though it does come across as limp wristed. Especially since Musk called off a deal just beforehand.
ὕβρις

Leadbelly

« Reply #24894 on: October 02, 2018, 05:46:18 PM »
Actually a fair balanced piece by the BBC. It should be, but that isn't always quite how it seems sometimes.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45722404

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #24895 on: October 02, 2018, 05:57:01 PM »
Innocent until Proven Guilty

What happened to: "You'd be in jail' Donald.  :trumps
🤴

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #24896 on: October 02, 2018, 06:00:31 PM »
Rape victims have every right to "scream" at a senator who is trying to erase their voices by refusing to properly vet a rapist before voting him through to be a Supreme Court Justice.

But by the woman's own admission she was not raped. Wtf are you even saying now you fucking lunatic?

You want to open the door to more mob mentality. And even if this tactic worked, again, what's the repercussion of this ? You think this weakened the right? It only emboldens them. People in the middle look at the hysteria and don't agree that it fits. You think that's going to bring people over to the left?

agrajag

« Reply #24897 on: October 02, 2018, 06:06:35 PM »

Boredfrom

« Reply #24898 on: October 02, 2018, 06:09:19 PM »

But by the woman's own admission she was not raped. Wtf are you even saying now you fucking lunatic?

You want to open the door to more mob mentality. And even if this tactic worked, again, what's the repercussion of this ? You think this weakened the right? It only emboldens them. People in the middle look at the hysteria and don't agree that it fits. You think that's going to bring people over to the left?

She was visible traumatized by the whole thing. Also... mob mentality against the white rich judge that was a drunktard during college but also want to be SCOTUS while not accepting wrongdoing ?

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #24899 on: October 02, 2018, 06:23:21 PM »

She was visible traumatized by the whole thing. Also... mob mentality against the white rich judge that was a drunktard during college but also want to be SCOTUS while not accepting wrongdoing ?
Oh boy race class warfare is what we have now. That always ends well.

And what do you mean she was visibly traumatized? The woman in the fucking elevator? who was the woman anyways? a random fucking protesters?? woahhhh credibility she was crying fellas!!!!

https://twitter.com/mgallagher822/status/1045742922291970052/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1045742922291970052&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fedition.cnn.com%2Fpolitics%2Flive-news%2Fkavanaugh-senate-committee-vote%2Findex.html

The guy did shady stupid shit at 17 years old. 17!!!! So now a man is condemned for the rest of his fucking life lol hahaha man that is brutal. (let me go ahead and repeat this in bold: I don't want him to be confirmed but the point still remains that this is fucking hysteria)