Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5439657 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Everything is awful
« Reply #25200 on: October 05, 2018, 06:31:15 PM »
We should all be respectful to eachother but playful banter is fine.

This isn't ResetEra folks  :snob
🤴

El Babua

« Reply #25201 on: October 05, 2018, 06:31:29 PM »
Can someone explain to me who JayDubya is and why there's an autoimmune response every time he appears

Jaydub is a 2000s-era libertarian forum poster who hasn't changed styles to match the current irony poisoned era.

That's why he's so sanctimonious. And his prose is not on etiolate's level tbh

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #25202 on: October 05, 2018, 06:33:31 PM »
etiolate will always be my favorite poster and no one can live up to his name.
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #25203 on: October 05, 2018, 06:34:37 PM »
My rather uncooked opinion is that the issues with the court are mostly metastases of our generally fucked up political situation, rather than something unique to the institution.

Ya.  America's political system isn't what's wrong, its Americans themselves. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #25204 on: October 05, 2018, 06:37:37 PM »
Jaydub is a 2000s-era libertarian forum poster who hasn't changed styles to match the current irony poisoned era.

There's definitely something going on where the generally right-wing posters (et, JD, hungrynoob, leadbelly) start sounding like JRPG villains localized for the US market when they're fired up, whereas those on the left side of the political compass (Green Shinobi, The Walrus, Jack Remington, Esch) have a more "eat shit and die!" vibe.

I bet someone could explain this in the context of The Big Five.

Propagandhim

« Reply #25205 on: October 05, 2018, 06:42:08 PM »
You fundamentally dishonest and pretentious cunt, there is a difference between disagreements on the merits of one’s arguments or the general back and forth where I gave reciprocally what I got - most often so very much less - dogpile after miserable dogpile... and making deeply personal comments at all, let alone twisting and weaponizing something like that.

Congrats, in a moment of weakness I talked about my relationship in a relationship thread, I was frustrated and sad, and I should have known better.  Should have known that you people would exploit it as an ad hominem the second I disagreed with one of you.  I knew better than to try to make friends with any of you pricks, but I should have known not to confuse you with human beings rather than rabid animals.

Lesson learned.

You're not wrong.  That was uncalled for.  This is honestly why I don't share anything personal on this forum.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #25206 on: October 05, 2018, 06:45:40 PM »
jd, you've been relentlessly mean-spirited on this forum for years, it's much too late to play victim

though if you sincerely thought you were trying to "make friends" by acting that way, I really feel sorry for you and hope you work that shit out

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #25207 on: October 05, 2018, 06:47:07 PM »
It's not weakness to share your feelings, JD. Hope things turn around for you if they haven't already.

Himu

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| The Mushroom Character from Mario Kart
« Reply #25208 on: October 05, 2018, 06:52:07 PM »
Legislative branch and executive branch are more important than the courts in the overall scheme of things.

TBH, I feel like the supreme court shouldn't wield this much power. When both sides are trying to push their own agenda trojan horses into the mix, something is very, very wrong. The fact that Republicans think,"we can use Kavanaugh to turn around Roe v Wade" or whatever and the fact that Democrats fear that would happen is ridiculous. This calls for an endless game of replacing justices every few decades at the perils of generations that potentially don't even agree with them politically. Most American's support abortion in some form, for instance. Yet we have justices that are clearly anti-abortion that represent religions that want to make it illegal. The court wields too much power, is used overwhelmingly for partisan interests rather than those of the American people.

Theoretically you want the court to be able defy public opinion, to be able to protect against a tyranny of the majority and to uphold the constitution even in unpopular cases (flag-burning is the case usually cited to illustrate this point). It was basically designed to be the branch of government over which the public had the least leverage, hence lifetime appointments.

My rather uncooked opinion is that the issues with the court are mostly metastases of our generally fucked up political situation, rather than something unique to the institution.

That's true.

For a long time it was,"vote so we can win scotus appointments." Which is all kinds of fucked up.

You may be right that it's less the institution and more that our political landscape - and by extension, ourselves - has just become so extreme and toxic.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 06:56:40 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #25209 on: October 05, 2018, 07:02:10 PM »
The climate doesn't help, but it's not a coincidence that the countries which use common law jurisprudence are not exactly progressive bulwarks.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #25210 on: October 05, 2018, 07:10:11 PM »
Abortion's a contentious issue because there are passionate people on both sides and a relatively even split in public opinion. If it weren't handled through the court, "vote so we can preserve/overturn Roe v Wade" would just become "vote so Congress can pass/repeal an abortion ban."

I think the things that are specific SCOTUS problems are issues where there's a clear majority on one side, and the court is ruling against it not to preserve a broadly-understood restriction on government power or to protect a mistreated minority, but using some particularly abstruse reasoning to reach an ideological/partisan conclusion (eg Citizens United, Janus).

In that vein, what concerns me most about Kavanaugh is his weird ideas about bureaucratic rule-making being unconstitutional, which could be applied to wreck whichever agencies the court doesn't like politically.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25211 on: October 05, 2018, 07:12:59 PM »
The climate doesn't help, but it's not a coincidence that the countries which use common law jurisprudence are not exactly progressive bulwarks.
It also seems like both parties adapt each others strategies.
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1048339688392740865

Obama (celebrity president)
Trump (actual celebrity as president)

The GOP only turned to Trump because boring people like Romney and zealots like Ted Cruz don't get elected.
The Democrats are now giving Avenatti a platform because they don't have an answer to Trump's theatrics.

The cycle just repeats itself. In fact they encourage the other party to implode and fly off the rails.
Democrats watered at the mouth at the idea that Trump would take over the Republican party much like the GOP is now enjoying how the most progressive wing of the Democratic Party is making gains.
Both sides want to stamp out the moderates of the other side without realizing the consequences, it's quite something to behold.
🤴

shosta

« Reply #25212 on: October 05, 2018, 07:20:51 PM »
Republican obstruction and political "toxicity" exist now, and not before, because there is an awakening liberal class consciousness that rejects the American conservative consensus. We should welcome this toxic culture like we welcome a beautiful morning.
每天生气

Boredfrom

« Reply #25213 on: October 05, 2018, 07:29:30 PM »

There's definitely something going on where the generally right-wing posters (et, JD, hungrynoob, leadbelly) start sounding like JRPG villains localized for the US market when they're fired up, whereas those on the left side of the political compass (Green Shinobi, The Walrus, Jack Remington, Esch) have a more "eat shit and die!" vibe.

I bet someone could explain this in the context of The Big Five.

Have you played the Shin Megami Tensei games ? Is order vs chaos but God and Lucifer alternate positions and the Neutral path is a bunch of more innefectual Benjis.

Himu

« Reply #25214 on: October 05, 2018, 07:34:29 PM »
Neutral can often be the hardest path too.
IYKYK

Boredfrom

« Reply #25215 on: October 05, 2018, 07:43:43 PM »
But when they tried to focus in the Neutral path we ended with being a JRPG villain or a shonen protagonist spouting “eat shit and die” to God.

shosta

« Reply #25216 on: October 05, 2018, 08:03:49 PM »
每天生气

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #25217 on: October 05, 2018, 08:29:04 PM »

"Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot."
spoiler (click to show/hide)
- Bruce Lee
[close]

kingv

« Reply #25218 on: October 05, 2018, 08:37:31 PM »
The bore is literally the land of misfit toys.

Like nobody should be surprised when alt right incels pop-up to call everyone evil for not being Bible thumpers or That 99% of everybody else is either an asshole, makes offensive jokes, or is unsuitable to be around others in general.

Basically every one is here because they got banned from bigger forums.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #25219 on: October 05, 2018, 08:44:53 PM »
Good read for TakingBackSunday:
https://www.nybooks.com/articles/2018/10/25/suffocation-of-democracy/
I think I've seen too many pieces comparing and contrasting the current situation with early 20th-century European fascism.

It's not that they can't be instructive, but do you really need to look outside of American history to understand white minority rule, nativism, etc?

Kara

« Reply #25220 on: October 05, 2018, 08:47:59 PM »
Both sides want to stamp out the moderates of the other side without realizing the consequences, it's quite something to behold.

What moderates? For at least 30 years the political spectrum has been right and far-far-right.

shosta

« Reply #25221 on: October 05, 2018, 08:49:47 PM »
It's not that they can't be instructive, but do you really need to look outside of American history to understand white minority rule, nativism, etc?
yes, because the eradication of democratic norms is unknown territory in american history, even if nativism and white minority rule are part of the bedrock of the nation

most of that piece is notable not for its elucidation of anti-minority sentiment but for its chronology of fascism
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #25222 on: October 05, 2018, 08:51:34 PM »

"Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot."
- Bruce Lee
[close]

I don't accept mystic quotes from hippy drug fiends. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #25223 on: October 05, 2018, 08:52:54 PM »
the eradication of democratic norms is unknown territory in american history

wait'll you hear about Reconstruction, shit's gonna blow your mind

Kara

« Reply #25224 on: October 05, 2018, 08:57:03 PM »
There's court packing / Wickard v. Filburn (no libertarian), if you want a "modern" relevant example too.

shosta

« Reply #25225 on: October 05, 2018, 08:57:46 PM »
wait'll you hear about Reconstruction, shit's gonna blow your mind
Difference is obviously that the South was a subjugated rebellion during a post-war period.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #25226 on: October 05, 2018, 09:08:00 PM »
Not that part, but how it ended and what that entailed.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| The Mushroom Character from Mario Kart
« Reply #25227 on: October 05, 2018, 09:11:33 PM »
really fucking depressed over this shit

even voting this november seems meaningless (don't worry, I still will vote).  Even if the Dems take back the House and Senate, we still have a conservative court that will fuck up this country for decades, potentially for ever.  I hate this country

:crowdlaff

shosta

« Reply #25228 on: October 05, 2018, 09:24:06 PM »
Not that part, but how it ended and what that entailed.
I don't know what this refers to. In Herrenvolk democracies large swaths of society still have substantial rights and freedoms.
每天生气

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #25229 on: October 05, 2018, 09:29:12 PM »
I’m not going to even bother with assimilates post - since he’s ignored now.  I assume it’s just lol emojis or “lol be mad college intellectual”

Fuck him and I hope he dies
püp

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #25230 on: October 05, 2018, 09:31:01 PM »
I’m not going to even bother with assimilates post - since he’s ignored now.  I assume it’s just lol emojis or “lol be mad college intellectual”

:lol what?

I knew whichever way this rolled it'd be amazing entertainment.

Himu

« Reply #25231 on: October 05, 2018, 09:56:50 PM »
The bore is literally the land of misfit toys.

Like nobody should be surprised when alt right incels pop-up to call everyone evil for not being Bible thumpers or That 99% of everybody else is either an asshole, makes offensive jokes, or is unsuitable to be around others in general.

Basically every one is here because they got banned from bigger forums.

Wrong thread?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #25232 on: October 05, 2018, 09:57:45 PM »

Watch the kitty video!
IYKYK

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #25233 on: October 05, 2018, 10:01:32 PM »
...Green Shinobi, The Walrus, Jack Remington...
:dead

Boredfrom

« Reply #25234 on: October 05, 2018, 10:04:04 PM »
Why can’t Assimilate spam images of Holomodor so he can take a break of being a vile asshole? At least JD cares...

agrajag

« Reply #25235 on: October 05, 2018, 10:07:20 PM »
Why can’t Assimilate spam images of Holomodor so he can take a break of being a vile asshole? At least JD cares...

just stop paying attention to him and he'll go away

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #25236 on: October 05, 2018, 10:42:44 PM »
You fundamentally dishonest and pretentious cunt, there is a difference between disagreements on the merits of one’s arguments or the general back and forth where I gave reciprocally what I got - most often so very much less - dogpile after miserable dogpile... and making deeply personal comments at all, let alone twisting and weaponizing something like that.

Congrats, in a moment of weakness I talked about my relationship in a relationship thread, I was frustrated and sad, and I should have known better.  Should have known that you people would exploit it as an ad hominem the second I disagreed with one of you.  I knew better than to try to make friends with any of you pricks, but I should have known not to confuse you with human beings rather than rabid animals.

Lesson learned.

ayy lmao

we're not fetuses, so i'm surprised you mistook us for human beings
duc

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25237 on: October 05, 2018, 10:48:54 PM »
If it gets Drinky to come back and post again, Kavanaugh getting confirmed is almost worth it. :rejoice
dog

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #25238 on: October 05, 2018, 10:53:00 PM »
i'm just here to drop random likes and wait for freenudemacusers' inevitable dick pics

live long enough to become filler, fam
duc

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #25239 on: October 05, 2018, 10:53:32 PM »
You guys are such pussies. It's why the dems keep taking Ls.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #25240 on: October 05, 2018, 11:01:51 PM »
I haven’t gotten through it all yet (the last couple pages) but y’all lashin out real ugly

shosta

每天生气

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #25242 on: October 05, 2018, 11:12:03 PM »
I’m gonna go ahead and care post that y’all fucked up and owe JDubs an apology and just leave it at that for my contributions

Also, holy shit I can’t believe how easily I believe this lyin frat boy is getting his way

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #25243 on: October 05, 2018, 11:20:08 PM »
respectfully disagree

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #25244 on: October 05, 2018, 11:39:08 PM »
on the plus side, going back and reading recent jaydubya posts while articulating each of his polysyllabic exhortations aloud in an arch, twee voice was the highlight of my friday evening. don't judge me; the alternative was watching youtube compilations with the brat.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:45:38 AM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

Kara

« Reply #25245 on: October 05, 2018, 11:59:10 PM »
Breeders :holeup

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #25246 on: October 06, 2018, 12:03:51 AM »
van cruncheon is for babby

shosta

每天生气

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #25248 on: October 06, 2018, 12:50:29 AM »
jd, you've been relentlessly mean-spirited on this forum for years, it's much too late to play victim

though if you sincerely thought you were trying to "make friends" by acting that way, I really feel sorry for you and hope you work that shit out

For the record, I'm not here to make friends
QED

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #25249 on: October 06, 2018, 01:01:57 AM »
Too late, motherfucker.

:ufup

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #25250 on: October 06, 2018, 01:46:32 AM »
There was a fight in the elevator at work today.  :lol

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #25251 on: October 06, 2018, 01:53:36 AM »
lol fuck yall for shaming me into being civil to jaydubs and two weeks later teeing off on him in the exact same manner

Himu

« Reply #25252 on: October 06, 2018, 01:56:39 AM »
There was a fight in the elevator at work today.  :lol

details?
IYKYK

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #25253 on: October 06, 2018, 02:02:31 AM »
I mean, apparently about Kava hearing as elevator normally harmless. Not sure where it'll sort out but so say it was a fiasco and there were cops/charges and all. IT folk.

kingv

« Reply #25254 on: October 06, 2018, 04:14:04 AM »
Motherfuckers i-teed off on each other.

Dude who’s in the cube next to me is a huge trump guy. Sometimes he dresses like a Mennonite or an Samusu person for some reason. He’s really fucking weird.

shosta

每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #25256 on: October 06, 2018, 10:35:42 AM »
 :ohhh :mindblown

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #25257 on: October 06, 2018, 10:37:37 AM »
Assy and filler (and etoilet, wherever he is) LEGIT SHOOK now that Daddy P weighs in like this
yar

agrajag

« Reply #25258 on: October 06, 2018, 10:39:11 AM »
Daddy P joined the #Resistance

:reeeee
[close]

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #25259 on: October 06, 2018, 11:02:40 AM »
There’s gotta be some dumb shit reason he said that - like, the sexual assault is all well and good but at some point Brett ate an artichoke and that shit can’t stand man
püp