Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5442667 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Weekly Trump Scandal Hot Takes
« Reply #6180 on: May 23, 2017, 06:18:01 PM »
I was gonna write a post about how while Frum is bad, he's at least bad within a generally accepted American policy ideology blah blah blah...until I realized oh shit I'm basically saying neoconservatism is normal shit. It's pretty fucking terrible in fact and has done more harm than Trump thus far.

That being said, at least Frum isn't a Nazi sympathizer, alleged traitor, supportive of mentally unhinged politicians, etc. And at least he has some ideological diversity I guess (he supports universal healthcare).
Frum doesn't really care how much you spend on social programs as long as you're bombing the right points on the map.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6181 on: May 23, 2017, 06:18:45 PM »
I was referencing a Fox News source

One which even Fox News has now turned their backs on.
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6183 on: May 23, 2017, 06:47:51 PM »
Fox News is an enemy of the state.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6184 on: May 23, 2017, 06:53:17 PM »

Oblivion

« Reply #6185 on: May 23, 2017, 06:59:34 PM »
Calling Kim an internet troll is Shapiro just being out of the loop with internet stuff.

Kim ran a business and made a lot of money. He ran Megauploads, which lead to an illegal raid of his house. You've probably all used Megaupload for copyrighted shows.

New Zealand law enforcement officials investigated the letter thoroughly and discovered without a shadow of a doubt that the letter was a forgery.

That's not really true. The e-mail could not be verified because it lacked appropriate headers. It was anonymously leaked. An office claimed it was a fraud, but that may have to do with the lack of IP trail meaning it cannot be verified. Difference between fraud and unverifiable. He was being spied on. That was part of the raid on his mansion, which is comical in reflection. Who the fuck needs a SWAT team to raid a rich weeaboo?

Tim Pool has been the one reasonable person on this, but that's perhaps because he is hooked into the internet and hacker community. He's also independent, has no bone in the Trump war, and has met and researched Kim's situation.

This is my last deal on this. I went back and checked on how long it took you guys to figure out that I was referencing a Fox News source and not Wheeler. The answer was F I V E   W H O L E    D A Y S.  I'm a patient lad, but not that patient and you aren't worthy of patience. You guys rely on bullying, mob behavior and dishonesty. I just wait and let time prove me right.

I would love if people that respond (because they will) to cite that they do not believe that Seth Rich was the leak and that it was a Russian hack. Would love that to be directly said by some of you.

Once again, name one instance in history where a right-wing conspiracy theory was proven right?

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6186 on: May 23, 2017, 07:01:11 PM »
And at least he has some ideological diversity I guess (he supports universal healthcare).
He's Canadian :ufup

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6187 on: May 23, 2017, 07:04:18 PM »
Oh Oblivion, he's going to wait F I V E  W H O L E  D A Y S before proving that he's right and you are wrong, because he's a patient lad.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:08:23 PM by TheInfelicitousDandy »

benjipwns

« Reply #6188 on: May 23, 2017, 07:08:05 PM »
I would love if people that respond (because they will) to cite that they do not believe that Seth Rich was the leak and that it was a Russian hack. Would love that to be directly said by some of you.
Guccifer 2.0 has claimed credit for the DNC hack/leak multiple times.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6189 on: May 23, 2017, 07:10:50 PM »
Guccifer 2.0 is Seth Rich, due to his love of Gucci, Satan, and early 2000's internet culture. 

Nola

« Reply #6190 on: May 23, 2017, 07:11:20 PM »
Man, I still don't like David Frum getting this Reasonable Conservative pass from people. I'm just not emotionally ready for this Ben Shapiro shit.

Eh, he's like a less pretentious Avik Roy for me.

Their policy arguments more often then not are shit, but they are people that generally don't actively play into the post-truth, hyper-partisan nonsense that most American conservative's that have some sort of platform push.

So they can at least offer opinions that have some originality of thought and occasional worthwhile perspective.

Oblivion

« Reply #6191 on: May 23, 2017, 07:15:49 PM »
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Frum bitch about UHC plenty of times, particularly when he brings up his home country, Canada.

Nola

« Reply #6192 on: May 23, 2017, 07:19:00 PM »

Once again, name one instance in history where a right-wing conspiracy theory was proven right?

When your world-view is filtered through the Furtive Fallacy, you don't actually need proof.

Nola

« Reply #6193 on: May 23, 2017, 07:31:49 PM »
I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure I've seen Frum bitch about UHC plenty of times, particularly when he brings up his home country, Canada.

Sort of, he actually has prescribed that the Republican party is ultimately on the wrong side of history with this issue. That the sooner they get past this and let the inevitable happen, or better yet get out in front of it, they can position themselves like conservatives do in so many other countries, and that is as the pragmatic reformers.

Which he makes the case has been very profitable for conservatives in countries like England, Canada, Australia, and other places in Europe.

I will admit though, a lot of my changed opinion on him stems from this interview and probably some of the shit others are rolling their eyes at:

(About 5 minutes long, starts around 43:00 talking about the philosophical failure of modern conservatives, including in healthcare.)
(Which to be clear I think a number of his arguments throughout are straight shit, like his diversity arguments.)

I am sure Benji can once again provide some quotes that will throw water on my admitted limited exposure of an interview, a few TV appearances, forgetfulness of his Bush era behavior, and some occasional op-eds.... And make a few Vox-splainer jokes to salt the wound.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:46:00 PM by Nola »

benjipwns

« Reply #6194 on: May 23, 2017, 07:45:56 PM »

:teehee

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:-*
[close]

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6195 on: May 23, 2017, 07:46:48 PM »
I really can't wait for John McAfee to give supporting evidence to etiolate's delusions. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6196 on: May 23, 2017, 08:22:51 PM »
B R E A K I N G  N E W S: jello biafra proves etiolate is the smartest man on internet forum?

Betteridge's law joke lol
[close]

El Babua

« Reply #6197 on: May 23, 2017, 08:27:08 PM »
I remember Amazon always recommending these books Benji posts cause I bought "The Forgotten Man" for my Freshman American History class.

I pwned my all liberal class by writing a report crushing their hero FDR. Also, I only read like 5 pages of the book.  :doge

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #6198 on: May 23, 2017, 09:02:47 PM »
Treasury Secretary Suggests Trump Opposes Border Adjustment Tax

wut

A border tax would hurt a lot of business, especially in Texas. Can't believe this is seriously being discussed.

Paul Ryan, economic genius ya'll

benjipwns

« Reply #6199 on: May 23, 2017, 09:08:36 PM »
I remember Amazon always recommending these books Benji posts cause I bought "The Forgotten Man" for my Freshman American History class.

I pwned my all liberal class by writing a report crushing their hero FDR. Also, I only read like 5 pages of the book.  :doge
Unless I'm blanking on one, I still think this is like the ultimate impossible to top book of the conservative publishing boom era:

benjipwns

« Reply #6200 on: May 23, 2017, 09:15:35 PM »
5.0 out of 5 stars
Speaks the truth
By Jack on November 13, 2006
Format: Hardcover|Verified Purchase
In this age of political correctness, it's refreshing to read another point of view. As she points out, of the first 31,000 rounded up on the west coast 16,000 were Japanese. Of those 16000 about 5632 immediately renounced their US citizenship and asked to be deported to Japan. How would you feel if FDR's govt left the Japanese dual citizens on Terminal Island, CA or Bainbridge Island, WA and one of the dual citizens sent word that a troop transport ship was leaving the harbor with 10,000 or 15,000 troops headed out to the Pacific past Japanese submarines. My guess is that some of the liberals evaluating this book would never have a chance to be born!
BOOM. ROASTED.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #6201 on: May 23, 2017, 09:25:21 PM »
from a cynical consequentialist POV there's something to be said about not being too fussy about new allies because of the "ever since 9/11 I've been outraged about Chappaquiddick" effect, which despite the name seems to work in both directions (some folks like Charles Johnson have round-tripped)
QED

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6202 on: May 23, 2017, 09:29:47 PM »
We'd all be speaking Japanese if it wasn't for those troop transport ships. I can't think of anything else that could have tipped the scales in our favor over there.
©@©™

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #6203 on: May 23, 2017, 09:42:29 PM »
the internet and hacker community

lol
QED

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6204 on: May 23, 2017, 09:49:21 PM »

Unless I'm blanking on one, I still think this is like the ultimate impossible to top book of the conservative publishing boom era:
(Image removed from quote.)

Is this still the benchmark for selling out your own race? I'm not sure Allen West/Ben Carson/Sheriff Clark/D'Souza/etc have matched this.

benjipwns

« Reply #6205 on: May 23, 2017, 09:52:43 PM »
We'd all be speaking Japanese if it wasn't for those troop transport ships. I can't think of anything else that could have tipped the scales in our favor over there.
"Message coming in from our spies in America, sir! Sending SHIPS with TROOPS on them into the PACIFIC. Stop. Please understand. Stop."

benjipwns

« Reply #6206 on: May 23, 2017, 09:59:09 PM »
Is this still the benchmark for selling out your own race? I'm not sure Allen West/Ben Carson/Sheriff Clark/D'Souza/etc have matched this.
Naw, her parents are both Filipinos (and were both here on employer visas when they had her...she's an anchor baby) and Filipinos hate the Japanese so it's just good old fashioned ethnic conflict and authoritarian state excuse making.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6207 on: May 23, 2017, 10:37:50 PM »
All this time I thought she was Japanese.

I'm the racist.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6208 on: May 23, 2017, 10:41:57 PM »
Looks like they got to Hannity- he's not discussing Rich anymore "out of respect for the family"

:hans1 :hans1 :hans1
yar

benjipwns

« Reply #6209 on: May 23, 2017, 10:44:37 PM »
We’re Seth Rich’s parents. Stop politicizing our son’s murder.

Seth Rich's brother pleads with Hannity to stop spreading conspiracy theory

Shameful how the media is exploiting this family's tragedy in order to help cover up for the DNC and the Clintons.

Tristam

« Reply #6210 on: May 23, 2017, 11:07:13 PM »
We’re Seth Rich’s parents. Stop politicizing our son’s murder.

Seth Rich's brother pleads with Hannity to stop spreading conspiracy theory

Shameful how the media is exploiting this family's tragedy in order to help cover up for the DNC and the Clintons.

It looks like they've even cowed the family into complicity! We need etoliate to get to the bottom of this.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

bluemax

« Reply #6212 on: May 23, 2017, 11:28:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/867172280350146561

50 part tweets are an abomination, but this felt like a decent read about why we aren't gonna be rid of Trump any time soon.

B R E A K I N G  N E W S: jello biafra proves etiolate is the smartest man on internet forum?

[close]

Jello Biafra called liberals Nazis. He's ahead of the curve!
NO

Nola

« Reply #6214 on: May 23, 2017, 11:41:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/867183268936003584

More proof the MSM is in the pockets of liberals and globalist cucks alike.

benjipwns

« Reply #6215 on: May 23, 2017, 11:44:19 PM »

50 part tweets
THIS ONE SIMPLE FACT that takes fifty tweets to explain?

whatever happened to twitlonger or getting a blog or why is this a thing

benjipwns

« Reply #6216 on: May 23, 2017, 11:48:39 PM »
Seth Abramson‏Verified account @SethAbramson  2h2 hours ago
 (46) So what we progressives need is *cognitive dissonance*: we must accept that there's a long way to go AND that all signs suggest CRIMES.

(47) We must TUNE OUT sensationalistic major media, grandstanding Congressmen, social media tongue-wagging, and right-wing fake news/trolls.

(48) What we get in return is NEAR-ASSURANCE this President WILL be IMPEACHED. It'll simply take, unfortunately, a LONG time to get there.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #6217 on: May 23, 2017, 11:48:45 PM »
Psssh. Reading.
rub

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #6218 on: May 23, 2017, 11:59:41 PM »
 (46) So what we progressives need is *cognitive dissonance*: we must accept that there's a long way to go AND that all signs suggest CRIMES.

(47) We must TUNE OUT sensationalistic major media, grandstanding Congressmen, social media tongue-wagging, and right-wing fake news/trolls.

(48) What we get in return is NEAR-ASSURANCE this President WILL be IMPEACHED. It'll simply take, unfortunately, a LONG time to get there.
(Image removed from quote.)

I guess I basically agree with this
QED

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #6219 on: May 24, 2017, 12:00:03 AM »
What a scrub. Everyone knows you start off a twitter rant with It's Time For Some Game Theory

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6220 on: May 24, 2017, 12:08:02 AM »
Seth Abramson was the "Bernie is actually winning" experimental fiction dude, right?

bluemax

« Reply #6221 on: May 24, 2017, 12:58:46 AM »

50 part tweets
THIS ONE SIMPLE FACT that takes fifty tweets to explain?

whatever happened to twitlonger or getting a blog or why is this a thing

I don't know but I really hate it. Twitter's new reply format makes it even worse to read.
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #6222 on: May 24, 2017, 01:02:12 AM »
Yes: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/seth-abramson/on-bernie-sanders-and-exp_b_10077684.html
The minority report for the 2016 presidential election says that we are in the midst of the end-times for the major political parties — yes, both of them — and that Sanders and Trump are the Angel and Devil (as it were) of the metamodern Garden of Eden whose lush overgrowth we now find ourselves surrounded by. I spent the fall writing about the Devil for Metamoderna — Trump as a post-policy, post-truth, post-personality entity whose “angry optimism” so dynamically synchronizes with the mood of the nation that voting for it means voting for one’s own self-contradictory macro-feelings more so than a candidate, making Trump in a certain sense unbeatable — and I’ve now spent three months writing about the better angels of our newly metamodern nature. I’m thrilled to say that the latter writings, the ones about Bernie Sanders, have been infinitely more popular than the former.

The old journalism is dead because the Real as it constructs it no longer coincides with the Real as Millennials either experience it or (far more importantly) can imagine it. It speaks only to and into the past; the language it speaks in is deconstructive, but on a landscape so already deconstructed that every word it pumps into the ether is another kick to a dead horse; it speaks from a form of power — temporal, monetary, geopolitical — that won’t have currency in the decades to come. The chief currency today is of course virtual, and it’s attention. Not the cynical breed of attention we associate with the vocal ministrations of a carnival barker — though this is the future Trump would sell us if he could — but the attention to multi-dimensional narrative that actually creates possibility from impossibility. And that’s the only means of production Sanders is hoping his movement will come to control. Sandersism isn’t dying out, and won’t die out, because it is born not of so-last-century hash-taggable philosophies like #FeeltheMath or even the impotent rage of, say, #NeverHillary, but a commitment to turning the feeling that there are other realities out there than the ones we’re being exposed to into a way of life and not just a slogan.

So #FeeltheBern has nothing, finally, to do with Bernie Sanders.

What it means for the only generation that will matter in just a few short decades — Generation Y, (though of course even the term itself is a monstrosity born of the now-fully-past) — is that a journalism that simply instantiates the metanarrative of least resistance, and looks for whatever sequencing of phenomena would suggest the most synchronicity with the past (and present), is no longer palatable to the overwhelming majority of young people in this country. My present metanarrative for the 2016 presidential election is no more true or false, in the long-term, than the other ones now available, but it constructs something new rather than rehashing something old — and therefore has a special power that will continue to cause consternation to major media institutions and social media trolls the nation over. I’m told the Clinton folks don’t like it much, either.

Why? Because Bernie Sanders has won this election, and Hillary Clinton is only a ghost silently mouthing out the final lines of a play we’ve all seen before and an ever-increasing number of us no longer feel much need to return to. What Sanders offers, instead, is not the empty and passing affections produced by insubstantial rhetoric, but a robust and abiding love of possibility that loves the possible enough to go searching hopefully and without expectation in the only place that will finally matter to our grandkids — the wide-open, still-unwritten spaces that lie beyond it.

A diagram from Seth Abramson's "Digital Age Culture & Theory" course

Abramson rejects the theory that he enjoys the attention of thousands of strangers. "Being misunderstood is my least favorite thing in the world," says the professor, "and I encourage it on a national level every single day."

He sees it as a patriotic sacrifice. He does not have children, but he imagines someday having to answer the question made famous by a World War I-era British military-recruitment campaign: "Daddy, what did you do during the Great War?"

"I want the answer to be, ‘I did everything I could,’" he says. "Does that mean Daddy won the war? No. It means Daddy was a soldier. And soldiering is not fun."

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #6223 on: May 24, 2017, 01:15:22 AM »
"Local nerd plans out playthrough of Persona 4: The Golden"

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #6224 on: May 24, 2017, 01:30:37 AM »
Seth Abramson was the "Bernie is actually winning" experimental fiction dude, right?

Yes, he is.

Thanks!

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6226 on: May 24, 2017, 04:38:34 AM »

Assange
ὕβρις

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #6227 on: May 24, 2017, 06:21:53 AM »
Even if the email leak was from elsewhere there's plenty of other shit tying the campaign to Vladdy.
Hi

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6229 on: May 24, 2017, 07:34:47 AM »
So this is really an actual thing not just confined to complete wingnuts?

It was promoted on one of the biggest show of the foremost news network in America and peddled by a former Speaker of the House. I mean...
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6231 on: May 24, 2017, 12:12:21 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-submarines-idUSKBN18K15Y

EDIT : "Incorrect" news as apparently there's nothing sensitive about this info and the presence of the two subs was mostly made public.

Taking the L.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 01:11:12 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Nola

« Reply #6232 on: May 24, 2017, 12:41:53 PM »

It was promoted on one of the biggest show of the foremost news network in America and peddled by a former Speaker of the House. I mean...

Every major right wing outlet you turned to ran the story non-stop after the Russia intelligence leak.

Like clockwork, Fox, Drudge, Breitbart, Infowars, talk radio, Washington Times, NY Post, they all ran with the story.

You would of thought the left's version of the Nixon Watergate tapes just dropped.

Raist

« Reply #6233 on: May 24, 2017, 03:05:10 PM »

:dead

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #6234 on: May 24, 2017, 03:32:35 PM »

Every major right wing outlet you turned to ran the story non-stop after the Russia intelligence leak.

Like clockwork, Fox, Drudge, Breitbart, Infowars, talk radio, Washington Times, NY Post, they all ran with the story.

You would of thought the left's version of the Nixon Watergate tapes just dropped.

They will run whatever is getting pushed by /r/the_donald, /pol/, etc. at this point
QED

Raist

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #6236 on: May 24, 2017, 04:10:22 PM »

50 part tweets are an abomination, but this felt like a decent read about why we aren't gonna be rid of Trump any time soon.

[close]

Jello Biafra called liberals Nazis. He's ahead of the curve!

My happiness really increased ten-fold when I stopped reading political threads on twitter. If it's not porn or trolling related, I'm not reading it.
:rejoice

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #6237 on: May 24, 2017, 04:43:38 PM »
On the flip side, soon we will be a nation of very healthy people.
rub

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6238 on: May 24, 2017, 04:56:20 PM »
That is absolutely atrocious  :neogaf
püp

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6239 on: May 24, 2017, 05:01:10 PM »
Could be worse : He could tack on a contribution for the border wall on premiums.
ὕβρις