Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5432913 times)

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
Four senators are refusing to vote for the Skinny Repeal™ unless the the House promises not to pass it. #Winning #SoMuchWinning

haha, wat?
MMA

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Senate leadership is trying to get "skinny repeal" passed by promising Senators that they'll go to conference with the House afterwards and then hash out the real repeal and replace bill. Except the House doesn't have to go to conference if they don't want to and can instead simply vote on what the Senate passed and just leave it at that. Which is probably what they'll do.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Four senators are refusing to vote for the Skinny Repeal™ unless the the House promises not to pass it. #Winning #SoMuchWinning

haha, wat?

GOP Senators Lindsey Graham, John McCain and Ron Johnson are demanding assurances the skinny bill will go into a conference committee if passed in the Senate.

They won’t vote yes without a guarantee the House won’t pass this version, calling it a "fraud" of a replacement for Obamacare.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
This dude is PISSED that CBO wants a month to be able to score all their crazy-ass ideas. They can't wait a month to ruin the healthcare system!
©@©™

Nola

Seriously, what are they magically thinking they will do in committee to not make this thing a piece of shit?

The only way you end up not getting steamrolled on this issue going forward long-term is if they actually did the things they refuse to do like shore up the insurance markets with more cost sharing/risk corridors, increase taxes to pump up the subsidies, and take the hit and strengthen the mandate or inject a different form of the mandate to get more healthy people in.

Unless you are willing to do that, or just walk away entirely, you are gonna end up holding a bag of shit trying to just cut the taxes and cut the mandate.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
You're forgetting a key element to all of this: most conservatives are a combination of not very smart and don't give a fuck.
yar

Nola

I think that's probably true.

But at the same time I keep reading there is this weird logic pushing them forward. Which is that they will supposedly get more blowback for not doing this then they will from passing anything, even if it is utter shit.

I sort of think it's like you say, most are just that fucking dumb on policy, especially healthcare policy, so all these campaign strategists don't quite grasp just how fucking idiotic it is to pass something where come next election, a good chunk of people are gonna be seeing 20% increases on their premiums, cancellation notices, or their employer dropping coverage before they go to the polls.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
This healthcare shit is fucking depressing, and I'm also realizing that we are not going to have a legitimate election in 2020 or beyond.  Trump is going to try and play a move to stay in office as long as he can under the guise of "I'm still trying to MAGA, I need more time!!  Leaving office would stifle growth!"

He is going to ruin our entire political system.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Barring him trying to seize power, why do you think he'd win?  His approval rating is atrocious.
püp

El Babua

The bill currently on the floor would also get rid of the employer mandate.

If premiums go up 20% all around, it's gonna be a bloodbath for republicans.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Why are they passing this

WHY the fuck are they doing this

FUCK republicans.
püp

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Why are they passing this

WHY the fuck are they doing this

FUCK republicans.

Are you like, not familiar with Republicans?
yar

bluemax

Barring him trying to seize power, why do you think he'd win?  His approval rating is atrocious.

Because the people who voted for him aren't the people being polled for the approval ratings. And the Democratic party is a clusterfuck of stupidity.
NO

Mandark

• Icon
Everything about this process has been amazingly dumb, and hardly any of it can be blamed on Trump.

It's remarkable how dysfunctional the national GOP let itself become over a decade.

Nola

This healthcare shit is fucking depressing, and I'm also realizing that we are not going to have a legitimate election in 2020 or beyond.  Trump is going to try and play a move to stay in office as long as he can under the guise of "I'm still trying to MAGA, I need more time!!  Leaving office would stifle growth!"

He is going to ruin our entire political system.

Trump is like a stress test for our checks and balances and institutions.

The one nice surprise in this fuckery is I think he is even more incompetent then I could of ever hoped. I honestly do not think he is capable of pulling off any of the more nefarious structural things people are concerned about(not that he wouldn't instinctively like to).

Its the possibility of the next Trump that worries me. The authoritarian narcissist that can sell his/herself as the heir apparent but with more discipline and intellectual capacity, that can cobble together a competent cabinet and gets to dissect and learn from this shit-show.

Nola

If there is a concern I have, it's the slow chipping away at norms and institutional things like this:

The House is slated to vote this week on two GOP proposals to cut the Congressional Budget Office’s (CBO) funding and eliminate its Budget Analysis Division.

The two measures will likely be considered on Wednesday as amendments to a government spending package on the House floor this week.

Republicans in Congress and the Trump administration have been critical of the nonpartisan budget scorekeeper amid its repeated estimates that their efforts to repeal and replace ObamaCare would result in tens of millions more people without insurance.

Mandark

• Icon
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
They've had seven years to come up with a viable replacement. :derp
Hi

Nola

Fuck it I'll give it to him for a day or two, way to go Maverick!

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
BREAKING: Mitch McConnell retreats into shell after embarrassment, refuses to come out.

Trent Dole

Hi

FStop7

They must have reconnected McCain's empathy circuits while they were in his head.

seagrams hotsauce

It's just McCain's pandering ass doing what he's been doing for a decade plus now. People are talking about how he's concerned with his legacy, but the dude just loves the attention and chooses the side of whoever he thinks will score him points.

Mupepe

• Icon
It's just McCain's pandering ass doing what he's been doing for a decade plus now. People are talking about how he's concerned with his legacy, but the dude just loves the attention and chooses the side of whoever he thinks will score him points.
Kind of like when he used to give speeches and interviews about how dangerous the military industrial complex is and we should all listen to Eisenhower's warnings... then votes completely opposite of that sentiment. 

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Or when he called Jerry Falwell an agent of intolerance in the 2000 campaign and then a couple years later was hanging out at Liberty University.
yar

agrajag

:lol

FStop7

Thumb Hannity was super triggered by that NY Post cover.  Seeing that was almost worth having to stare at his stupid face.

seagrams hotsauce

Priebus just got replaced

FStop7

Replace Priebus with Mooch's wife.

Complete the  circle.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Der Untergang.
ὕβρις

zomgee

• We've *all*
Maybe he will have time to concentrate on solving the murder of Seth Rich.
rub

VomKriege

• Do the moron

Trump got himself a mini-me.
ὕβρις

agrajag

http://pagesix.com/2017/07/28/anthon...s-for-divorce/

Anthony Scaramucci, the White House’s potty-mouthed new communications director, has been dumped by his beautiful blond wife because of his “naked political ambition,” multiple sources exclusively tell Page Six.

Deidre Ball, who worked as a vice president in investor relations for SkyBridge Capital, the firm he founded in 2005 and sold to ascend to the White House, has filed for divorce from “The Mooch” after three years of marriage after getting fed up with his ruthless quest to get close to President Trump, whom she despises.

:ufup :neogaf

skullstorm

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/bill-browders-testimony-to-the-senate-judiciary-committee/534864/

Was this posted yet? I got all tingly reading that, gotta watch the actual testimony later.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:putin
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
http://pagesix.com/2017/07/28/anthon...s-for-divorce/

Anthony Scaramucci, the White House’s potty-mouthed new communications director, has been dumped by his beautiful blond wife because of his “naked political ambition,” multiple sources exclusively tell Page Six.

Deidre Ball, who worked as a vice president in investor relations for SkyBridge Capital, the firm he founded in 2005 and sold to ascend to the White House, has filed for divorce from “The Mooch” after three years of marriage after getting fed up with his ruthless quest to get close to President Trump, whom she despises.

:ufup :neogaf

Ditch your wife for Trump, brehs.
dog

bluemax

Dumbass millennials shouldn't have cast a bunch of write-in votes for Bernie.

Fixed
NO

agrajag

The Mooch loves to smooch the orange buttcheeks  :doge

Trent Dole

Fixed
Fuck the hell off with that shit.
Hi

Human Snorenado

• Icon

Fixed
Fuck the hell off with that shit.

#hesrighttho

There were an inordinately high number of write-in votes this election.

Of course, they happened on both sides of the aisle.
yar

seagrams hotsauce

the .5% of ppl writing in for bernie or the rock or whatever definitely didn't decide or even remotely affect the election ya goons

Human Snorenado

• Icon
the .5% of ppl writing in for bernie or the rock or whatever definitely didn't decide or even remotely affect the election ya goons

Coupled with the people that voted 3rd party they sure did

:hitler
yar

Trent Dole

Yeaaah sure they shifted things, but most people who voted third party noted they wouldn't have voted at all if they'd not gone with a third party option, and those that would go for one of the other two main candidates were about an even split. Dems ran a meh candidate and an uber meh campaign, damn it. Of course there was also lots of other fuckery involved (:putin crosscheck, etc) that led to them losing but this shouldn't have been remotely close so I'll mainly glare at the people in charge of the DNC.
Hi

Human Snorenado

• Icon
That's the fun thing about blame- there's plenty to go around, and I never get tired of assigning it. Plus, I know people IRL that voted Stein or wrote in Bernie to "prove a point" and making their lives miserable is now a hobby of mine.
yar

seagrams hotsauce

They actually didn't though

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Human Snorenado

• Icon

In WI, MI, PA, and FL the margin of Trump>Hillary is all smaller than the number of votes cast for Johnson/Stein, and that doesn't even factor in the Bernie/Harambe/whatever write ins. So, yeah. I'd say they did.
yar

etiolate

You assume that people who voted for third party would have voted for Hilary instead. That's a huge assumption to make.

You also make the argument that they should have just gotten in line, so you don't really believe in democracy, and that sentiment itself is one of the many factors that drove people towards Trump.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
That's run of the mill strategic voting. It's inherent to your two-party system.

Mandark

• Icon
That's run of the mill strategic voting. It's inherent to your two-party system.
Which is inherent to a WTA-FPTP system.

Which probably is a big factor in why the US wound up with a system of primary elections. Compared to other democracies voters have a lot less ability to credibly defect from a party, but have more direct input into its leadership.

seagrams hotsauce

In WI, MI, PA, and FL the margin of Trump>Hillary is all smaller than the number of votes cast for Johnson/Stein, and that doesn't even factor in the Bernie/Harambe/whatever write ins. So, yeah. I'd say they did.
That's my point lol. People who voted third party made an impact, the write-ins were negligible

curly

• cultural maoist

Why should Johnson voters be counted as taking vote votes away from Clinton

Why focus on third party voters in the first place when there's way more non voters

Mandark

• Icon
Why focus on third party voters in the first place when there's way more non voters
Probably cause they're already politically engaged, vocal, and over-represented online.

etiolate

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article163818253.html

When a computer expert who worked for congressional Democrats was accused of stealing computers and data systems in February, members of Congress cut him loose within days, leaving Imran Awan with no supporters five months later.

Except for Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

The Weston Democrat has not explained in detail why she continued to employ Awan until Tuesday when she fired him — after he was arrested on bank-fraud charges at Dulles International Airport in Virginia attempting to board a flight to Pakistan.

Trent Dole

I most definitely voted more against Donny than for the Hill. :-*
Hi

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
"this shit is so old" -- guy who constantly brings this up

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Trent Dole

Hi

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
it just doesnt stop with this guy  :lol

curly

• cultural maoist
Probably cause they're already politically engaged, vocal, and over-represented online.

In my eyes third party voters are basically more obnoxious non-voters who feel the need to make a show out of their distaste for American politics instead of just not giving a shit like normal, healthy people.