Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5450450 times)

curly

• cultural maoist
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 04:28:12 AM by curly »

curly

• cultural maoist
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Bring Obama Back Already #boba
« Reply #9482 on: October 12, 2017, 05:01:00 AM »
Even the Clinton campaign was creeped out by his Hillary obsession and kept him at arm's length

Even sites that were generally pretty pro-Clinton during the primary and election clowned him for verrit (possibly the only thing that's united the entire political spectrum in the last year is making fun of him).

He's a joke

etiolate

« Reply #9483 on: October 12, 2017, 05:02:11 AM »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #9484 on: October 12, 2017, 05:33:56 AM »
Gaming and pandas is a fucking asshole.
Hi

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #9485 on: October 12, 2017, 08:17:29 AM »
verrits whole thing where they have to personally review and approve the comments has really killed it off (since i assume daou never bothers to check them since he tweets non stop instead) as a platform i was really looking forward to, that and their rehashing of the same ten pieces of content over and over leads to little, i want more brilliance like this dammit:
Samuel Amoia
October 11, 2017 at 12:21 pm
OK the president has and is obviously disrespecting the flag so why is not Congress and the Senate doing anything about this and as we the people what power do we have to make sure something is done ?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #9486 on: October 12, 2017, 09:03:04 AM »
USA pulling out of UNESCO ?
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-fg-us-unesco-withdrawal-20171012-story.html

At this point, I guess it's not surprising.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #9487 on: October 12, 2017, 09:24:55 AM »
http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/10/11/u-s-to-pull-out-of-unesco-again/
The United States will maintain its presence at UNESCO as an observer state.

The Reagan Administration decided to withdraw from the organization in 1984, at the height of the Cold War, citing corruption and what it considered an ideological tilt towards the Soviet Union against the West. President George W. Bush rejoined the organization in 2002, claiming it had gotten its books an order and expunged some of its most virulent anti-Western and anti-Israel biases.

“America will participate fully in its mission to advance human rights, tolerance and learning,” he said at the time.

But six years ago, the United States cut off more than $80 million a year, about 22 percent of its entire budget for UNESCO, in reprisal for its acceptance of Palestine as a member. The Obama administration said it had to cut funds because a 1990s-era law prohibits U.S. funding for any U.N. agencies recognizing Palestine as a state.

Despite the funding cut, the United States remains a member of UNESCO, and even has a vote on the executive board, which selects the new director general. But the United States has and it continues to be charged tens of millions in dues each year and has lost its voting rights in UNESCO’s principal decision-making body, which is known as the General Conference. That body approves UNESCO’s budget and establishes a range of programs dealing with education, science, and culture around the globe.

As a result of U.S. funding cuts, U.S. arrears have been swelling each year, surpassing $500 million that’s owed to UNESCO. Tillerson wants to stop the bleeding.
what are they going to do if we don't pay back the dues? break our legs?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:29:38 AM by benjipwns »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9489 on: October 12, 2017, 11:01:56 AM »
You can't convince me Sharyl Attkisson isn't a made up name.
©@©™

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #9490 on: October 12, 2017, 11:52:19 AM »
bent

Nola

« Reply #9492 on: October 12, 2017, 12:44:31 PM »
So I guess barely regulated MEWA’s are about to become a thing again.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #9493 on: October 12, 2017, 01:27:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure by this time next year, PR will no longer be a US territory just so Donald Trump won't have to be bothered to help them again.

No way. The US imports like 20% of their drag queens from PR.
serge

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #9494 on: October 12, 2017, 02:41:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure by this time next year, PR will no longer be a US territory just so Donald Trump won't have to be bothered to help them again.

It's part of the long plan for PR to wither away so it can be bought up cheap to be an island of private resorts.
©ZH

Nola

« Reply #9495 on: October 12, 2017, 04:29:21 PM »
https://twitter.com/ZeddRebel/status/918318593816891392

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-retreat-military-salute-sean-hannity-interview-pennsylvania-2017-10

Bitch about people disrespecting the flag by kneeling during the National Anthem, show ignorance, tell jokes, and remain seated for "Retreat."

:trumps

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #9496 on: October 12, 2017, 04:38:20 PM »
I like people that didn't retreat.
©@©™

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9497 on: October 12, 2017, 05:44:25 PM »
executive order that basically kills aca

fuck this gay earth
püp

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #9498 on: October 12, 2017, 08:45:33 PM »
When will Trump fulfill his campaign promise to ban kombucha and manbuns?
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #9499 on: October 12, 2017, 09:48:01 PM »
The buried lede today is that since Trump is ending the insurance subsidies which were primarily funded by new taxes, that means that the government is stealing from people and not providing services it promised. It's fraud. But who didn't expect Trump to run the federal government like he runs his businesses?
每天生气

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #9500 on: October 12, 2017, 09:50:28 PM »
Tomorrow's friday. Feels like we'll get a story tomorrow.
que

Nola

« Reply #9501 on: October 13, 2017, 12:44:17 AM »
WASHINGTON — President Trump will scrap subsidies to health insurance companies that help pay out-of-pocket costs of low-income people, the White House said late Thursday. His plans were disclosed hours after the president ordered potentially sweeping changes in the nation’s insurance system, including sales of cheaper policies with fewer benefits and fewer protections for consumers.

The twin hits to the Affordable Care Act — on successive days — could unravel President Barack Obama’s signature domestic achievement, sending insurance premiums soaring and insurance companies fleeing from the health law’s online marketplaces. After Republicans failed to repeal the health law in Congress, Mr. Trump appears determined to dismantle it on his own.

Without the subsidies, insurance markets could quickly unravel. Insurers have said they will need much higher premiums and may pull out of the insurance exchanges created under the Affordable Care Act if the subsidies were cut off. Known as cost-sharing reduction payments, the subsidies were expected to total $9 billion in the coming year and nearly $100 billion in the coming decade.

“The government cannot lawfully make the cost-sharing reduction payments,” the White House said in a statement.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/12/us/politics/trump-obamacare-executive-order-health-insurance.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
I have no fucking words. This man is the biggest piece of shit I have ever experienced in my lifetime.

I am really holding back not saying some really fucking crazy shit that would put me on a list because this is the single most indefensible domestic action I have seen taken in my lifetime.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9502 on: October 13, 2017, 12:51:53 AM »
George W. Bush vetoed multiple bills reauthorizing SCHIP.

Nola

« Reply #9503 on: October 13, 2017, 12:58:22 AM »
George W. Bush vetoed multiple bills reauthorizing SCHIP.

As i remember it, Bush did not end the program, only veto additional funds for it. Shitty, yes, typical Republican bullshit, yes, but that is a different game than trying to collapse an entire market space that will have enormous consequences.

What Trump is doing here is actually triggering a likely death spiral, as cost sharing subsidies are pivotal legs on which the ACA stands on. Its also the sort of shock that is likely to trigger insurers to seek their exit clauses so they can flee the marketplace.

One thing Republicans have not been willing to do in all their despicable theater over the years is actually go through with deeply harming this many people. Even Bush had the good enough sense to drop his SS "reform" when the reality hit the rhetoric. Trump lacks that capacity.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 01:05:32 AM by Nola »

Nola

« Reply #9504 on: October 13, 2017, 01:39:21 AM »
I will also say this, assuming a best case scenario and we don't see an exodus of insurers, in typical short-sighted Trump fashion, theoretically a lot of this cost would fall right back on the government.

Insurers could demand much, much higher rates and due to the open-ended nature of the premium tax credits, the government picks up that aspect of the tab(of course I wouldn't be surprised if the DHS just denies those increases to help collapse the market). People that qualify wouldn't see their own out-of-pocket expenses go up, but the government would.

People that are without any subsidies? Yeah, they are fucked. If you are sick or need good coverage? Double fucked. And I have zero faith congress somehow grows a conscience and funds these subsidies with the bi-partisan Senate bill.

archie4208

« Reply #9505 on: October 13, 2017, 06:08:46 AM »
I relied on those subsidies to afford insurance.  Guess I'll invest in some vitamins and a Bible now.  :doge

I'm livid, but honestly I knew it was inevitable so I'm not surprised.  I'm pretty healthy (and just saying that I've condemned myself to get sick :rofl) but I get to live on edge now.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #9506 on: October 13, 2017, 10:54:48 AM »
Yeah, don't know how this doesn't crater the ACA Market.
que

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #9507 on: October 13, 2017, 10:57:46 AM »
Why are you guys worried, we're gonna get great healthcare now. The best healthcare, believe me.
©@©™

FStop7

« Reply #9508 on: October 13, 2017, 12:20:07 PM »
Your healthcare’s completely free if you’re dead.  :rollsafe

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #9510 on: October 13, 2017, 01:34:39 PM »
Why are you guys worried, we're gonna get great healthcare now. The best healthcare, believe me.

It's true.

Nola

« Reply #9511 on: October 13, 2017, 02:25:29 PM »
I relied on those subsidies to afford insurance.  Guess I'll invest in some vitamins and a Bible now.  :doge

I'm livid, but honestly I knew it was inevitable so I'm not surprised.  I'm pretty healthy (and just saying that I've condemned myself to get sick :rofl) but I get to live on edge now.

The good thing in your situation, assuming insurers don’t flee the marketplace in your area, your premium costs will be offset by the subsidies. As they climb with the price of the plan. Which gets to some of the idiocy of Trump's decision here. This is going to cost the government a boatload of money it seems.

David Anderson over at his blog makes me feel a little bit easier than last night because he and some other people are trying to go state by state and determine exactly how the state and individual insurers have already acted based on CSR uncertainty and look at what many are planning to do now that it is confirmed:
https://www.balloon-juice.com/2017/10/11/state-approaches-to-handling-csr-uncertainty-for-2018-premiums/

https://www.balloon-juice.com/2017/10/13/state-choices-for-csr-ramifications/

Which, of course, like most things these days, exploits how dumb this administration is.

shosta

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 07:30:40 PM by Spoiled Milk »
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #9513 on: October 14, 2017, 05:31:30 AM »
You guys live in a such a bubble, earlier I was watching Lou Dobbs Tonight and they were talking about how this is now officially the most successful Presidency ever with the end of these subsidies to Big Insurance and the refusal to appease Iran as just another latest example of The President destroying the DIMMS and RINOS to achieve winning for the American people.

shosta

« Reply #9514 on: October 14, 2017, 05:57:53 AM »
Benji how do you always end up watching Lou Dobbs
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #9515 on: October 14, 2017, 06:13:53 AM »
Do women want to date alpha males like Donald Trump? This matchmaker says yes

After the election of President Donald Trump, Richard Gosse, a matchmaker of sorts, had a realization.

“It dawned on me that Trump has all these qualities that women are attracted to – he’s tall, he’s older, he’s wealthy, he’s well-educated and he’s a dominant alpha male. Unfortunately, he’s also a narcissistic womanizer,” Gosse said. “I recommend women seek the opposite of Donald Trump – bachelors who are younger, shorter, poorer, less-educated and shy.”

Gosse has been taking his message across California, hosting anti-Trump singles parties where he invites women to meet men who aren’t at all like the president.

His views are controversial – he recommends women give short guys a chance, for example, but suggests women lose weight, wear makeup and smile more if they want to improve their chances of getting a date. He’s drawn crowds from across California, and has an upcoming event planned this weekend in Sacramento.

“Some people have complained that I’m disrespectful to the president, but I’m just pointing out that he is the type of guy who makes for a lousy husband. The man has cheated on his wives,” Gosse said. “There are millions of men available in America who aren’t like that.”

Roger Chemtob, 60, of Larkspur attended an anti-Trump singles event in San Francisco last month. He questioned Gosse’s point of view, but credited his events with connecting people in real life who are open to meeting new people.

“He’s getting everyone involved,” Chemtob said. “Dating is hard, especially for shy people like me.”

Sac proud :')
每天生气

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #9516 on: October 14, 2017, 12:04:48 PM »
Sacramento you say?  :thinking
que

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9517 on: October 14, 2017, 03:14:59 PM »

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #9518 on: October 14, 2017, 03:18:57 PM »
What is in the boxes again?
rub

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #9519 on: October 14, 2017, 03:20:20 PM »
Never post that shitstain’s art ever again please
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9520 on: October 14, 2017, 03:48:26 PM »
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #9521 on: October 14, 2017, 03:49:52 PM »
What is in the boxes again?
ACME bird feed, apparently.

shosta

« Reply #9522 on: October 14, 2017, 06:08:56 PM »
"ok what does UNIX extraordinaire eric raymond think of this harvey weinstein scandal," said no one ever

Is the casting couch a fair trade?

As I write, the cascading revelations about Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein’s creeptastic behavior over the last thirty years are dominating the news cycle. Platoons of women are coming forward with credible accusations of sexual exploitation, assault, and even outright rape.

Weinstein himself is not actually denying any of these accusations, so I’m going to assume that enough of them are true to define him as a criminal, a pervert, and a supremely nasty mass of noxious slime.

And yet, and yet…the libertarian and contrarian in me is balking at the quality of some of the outrage being flung around. One question, in particular, gives me pause.

There is an article I read and cannot recover reporting what at least some of Weinstein’s escapades looked like from the point of the owner of a restaurant he regularly took starlets to for intimate dinners. The interviewee sardonically noted that these followed a regular pattern: women dressed to the nines, lots of flirting and whispering and smiling, the couple disappearing for a while and then coming back with the woman looking “somewhat the worse for wear”.

Cheesy and sleazy, yes, but it does not sound like these women were being dragged by the hair. I say this without dismissing other accounts of much less consensual behavior – the gropings, the assaults and…masturbating in front of a reporter? Really?

It’s exactly because Weinstein is a contemptible blob of muck that we need to be extra careful about asking that one question: should we condemn the consensual behavior of Weinstein and J. Random Starlet trading sex for a shot at the big time?

The blunt truth is that for aspiring young actresses Hollywood is a sexual marketplace to begin with, and they know it. A woman who makes it through the initial starlet phase may earn a reputation for acting chops, but at that beginning all she really has to trade on her is her attractiveness. The step from “I have to be sexy to a million men” to “I have sex with this mogul” is not really very large. Especially because women are turned on by power to begin with.
ok why is this a valid argument? because...
That’s why the law-firm analogy doesn’t work. The associate asked to dinner by a senior partner at her firm might be a bit turned on by power signals, but being attractive to men is not in her job description and she can rightly consider the implication that she might want to trade sex for influence to be deeply insulting and prejudicial against her career prospects.

The mogul who hits on a starlet is saying “Yeah, you’re succeeding at your basic job skill.” The senior partner hitting on an intern is saying “Sex might be the only thing you have to trade.” That difference makes a difference.
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9523 on: October 14, 2017, 06:31:01 PM »
Can't please everyone  ::)

Boredfrom

« Reply #9524 on: October 14, 2017, 07:03:45 PM »
Probably is better to mock Ben Garrison idiotic cartoons than get annoyed by them.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #9525 on: October 14, 2017, 07:07:46 PM »
t eric acting isn't prostitution hth
Hi

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #9526 on: October 14, 2017, 07:12:48 PM »
t eric acting isn't prostitution hth

This is why you're not a star, Trent.
©@©™

El Babua

« Reply #9527 on: October 15, 2017, 12:07:45 AM »

agrajag

« Reply #9528 on: October 15, 2017, 02:02:54 AM »
Lenin's been hitting the gym

shosta

« Reply #9530 on: October 15, 2017, 05:53:54 AM »
This actually made me physically sick to watch. Never before seen footage of 20,000 Nazis in the now infamous Madison Square Garden rally of the German Bund in NYC, 1939, with audio. I've seen snippets of this but never the whole thing posted unedited.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:59:26 AM by Spoiled Milk »
每天生气

Nola

« Reply #9531 on: October 15, 2017, 06:35:30 AM »
This actually made me physically sick to watch. Never before seen footage of 20,000 Nazis in the now infamous Madison Square Garden rally of the German Bund in NYC, 1939, with audio. I've seen snippets of this but never the whole thing posted unedited.

It is crazy to put into perspective how deep the proliferation of fascist ideologies actually got in this country when you look at stuff like that. And it’s sort of a glossed over aspect of that period it feels like.

Father Coughlin had what in his heyday, like 25 million listeners a week? A guy that adored fascist leaders and at times preached an Americanized version of parts of the Nazi agenda.

shosta

« Reply #9532 on: October 15, 2017, 06:46:59 AM »
It is crazy to put into perspective how deep the proliferation of fascist ideologies actually got in this country when you look at stuff like that. And it’s sort of a glossed over aspect of that period it feels like.

Father Coughlin had what in his heyday, like 25 million listeners a week? A guy that adored fascist leaders and at times preached an Americanized version of parts of the Nazi agenda.
Funny you'd mention him. After that event I posted happened, Coughlin made this statement distancing himself: "Nothing can be gained by linking ourselves with any organization which is engaged in agitating racial animosities or propagating racial hatreds. Organizations which stand upon such platforms are immoral and their policies are only negative." What a weird delusion, not recognizing how similar you are to something everyone hates.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 06:51:01 AM by Spoiled Milk »
每天生气

Nola

« Reply #9533 on: October 15, 2017, 07:57:55 AM »

Funny you'd mention him. After that event I posted happened, Coughlin made this statement distancing himself: "Nothing can be gained by linking ourselves with any organization which is engaged in agitating racial animosities or propagating racial hatreds. Organizations which stand upon such platforms are immoral and their policies are only negative." What a weird delusion, not recognizing how similar you are to something everyone hates.

You would think, you borrow from Nazis than get shocked when people become them. On the other hand, maybe it’s a recurring theme amongst the disinformation and division spreading types?

On Wednesday, Rush Limbaugh, the conservative talk radio icon and outspoken football fan said the idea that the government, as represented by Trump, could force any employee of a business to do something “scares the hell out of me,” and said, “No president should have dictatorial power over individual behavior.

“I am very uncomfortable with the president of the United States being able to dictate the behavior and power of anybody,” Limbaugh, whose syndicated show airs daily in Philadelphia on 1210 WPHT-AM, told his listeners. “That’s not where this should be coming from.

We don’t want the president being able to demand anybody that he’s unhappy with behave in a way he requires. ”

A couple weeks after saying:

Dozens of pro football players — at least some in every game Sunday — refused to stand during “The Star-Spangled Banner” in reaction to Mr. Trump’s recent statement that protesters should be fired.

Mr. Limbaugh told millions of listeners that conservatives should cheer because the decision by players to politicize the sport is backfiring

FStop7

« Reply #9534 on: October 15, 2017, 02:44:16 PM »
Rush Limbaugh ranted about locking up drug addicts while he was secretly gobbling pills like Pac Man.

Fuck Rush Limbaugh.  I wouldn’t piss on him if he was on fire.

benjipwns

« Reply #9535 on: October 15, 2017, 03:03:34 PM »
Benji how do you always end up watching Lou Dobbs
100% legit: One of the local Taco Bell's has Fox Business on at night and when I saw that DIMMS was not a typo but the only way the show spells/refers to them, also that he had transformed into Trump is God almost from the start, while Hannity was still pussy-footing around with Cruz and Rubio. I knew I had found my new leader in Trump's America.

Also the Ed Rollins thing isn't a joke, he's on literally almost every night I've seen and Lou basically only really has about four guests that recur over and over and they just spend twenty minutes trying to out agree each other. I usually put on one of the YouTube uploads because it warms my heart so much to see how crazy he might get. But sometimes someone is streaming it for some reason. And I get to blast you lieberals for denying the facts Lou is spittin.

Originally, I "met" Lou once he got at FOX after CNN fired him through his willingness to put up with Greg even though Greg had spent six months talking about how they had a sexual relationship on Red Eye, Lou still did an intro for the first episode of Greg's weekend show where he kicked Greg out of his limo and threw his toys he "left at their place" at him...so Lou Dobbs fascinates me on multiple levels. Like Dana Perino.

Speaking of fast food places showing news on one of their TVs, the closest McDonalds to me has Fox News on, but they have their various settings so broken the screen not only isn't in the proper aspect ratio but the captions scroll up the middle of the screen to where you can often only see the tops of people heads. I hope they never fix it.

benjipwns

« Reply #9536 on: October 15, 2017, 03:34:16 PM »
On Wednesday, Rush Limbaugh, the conservative talk radio icon and outspoken football fan said the idea that the government, as represented by Trump, could force any employee of a business to do something “scares the hell out of me,” and said, “No president should have dictatorial power over individual behavior.

“I am very uncomfortable with the president of the United States being able to dictate the behavior and power of anybody,” Limbaugh, whose syndicated show airs daily in Philadelphia on 1210 WPHT-AM, told his listeners. “That’s not where this should be coming from.

We don’t want the president being able to demand anybody that he’s unhappy with behave in a way he requires. ”

Dozens of pro football players — at least some in every game Sunday — refused to stand during “The Star-Spangled Banner” in reaction to Mr. Trump’s recent statement that protesters should be fired.

Mr. Limbaugh told millions of listeners that conservatives should cheer because the decision by players to politicize the sport is backfiring
I heard Rush talking about this later in the week because apparently he got callers and stuff upset about his saying the thing against Trump. And he was trying to make clear that his problem is Trump and Pence increasingly involving themselves and pulling the stunt or whatever, that Trump's random tweet was just Trump, but since they've gone beyond that is what led him to make the later statement.

And he still got callers who didn't understand the distinction.

I'm less inclined to see this as an example of Rush shit-stirring, hypocrisy, etc. as he has long held a libertarian streak on these issues, along with his own personal background with the NFL owners, to where I find his position believable that he enjoys seeing ratings of NFL games drop, fans responding, etc. but wishes Trump, etc. would stop getting involved. Even if Trump's tweet was arguably the ideal catalyst for the conservative media to latch onto the non-issue to fill time with.

The worst part about Rush's drug addiction wasn't that he learned about addiction, the drug war, etc. it's that he re-found religion as part of his rehab. He was more apt to crack jokes about gays, transsexuals, etc. in the 1990s rather than give sermons about their secret anti-American agendas. Even his feminazi fanfare wasn't as tinged with social conservatism as much as it became for a while, rather focused more on their absurdity/hypocrisy/etc.

In terms of my weird obsession in the ideological views of talking heads, which has always sorta made Rush distinct from say, Hannity. There's a semi-interesting difference between his two old books at least from what I remember when I read them, The Way Things Ought To Be which he wrote in the midst of the H.W. Bush presidency as a semi-autobiography plus basic political views that barely touches on culture war social conservatism other than him predicting future issues and See, I Told You So which followed after the 1992 election and first year of the Clinton presidency and is a massive polemic against the Clintons, GODLESS liberals, Democrats, AIDS victims, abortion fetishists, America haters, etc. and has a chapter about how God created America when he wrote the Constitution in 1776 and so on. I'm just also realizing that's Pat Buchanan's massive popularity happened between the two books.

Speaking of books, I've heard his Rush Revere series actually isn't too terrible for a children's historical series. But that might be the soft bigotry of low expectations?

benjipwns

« Reply #9537 on: October 15, 2017, 04:06:38 PM »

You would think, you borrow from Nazis than get shocked when people become them. On the other hand, maybe it’s a recurring theme amongst the disinformation and division spreading types?
There's a really important historical and ideological set of points to be made here that are too often glossed over. (Side pedant note: Coughlin had that many listeners in part because he was one of the few nationally syndicated radio hosts at a time before that was a thing.)

Fascism is not Nazism. Nazism is a form of fascism obsessed with a racial definition of the nation state.

Fascism was the hot political ideology of the 1920s and 1930s, all over the Western world that hadn't gone Communist because it was seen as taking the best parts of the Communist system (central planning by experts) while avoiding the downfalls (millions dead at the hands of the state due to totalitarian violence) that also entered in a post-war world where Democracy was seen as having failed widely in many places especially once the Depression (remember, Hoover's invented PR term so as to make people feel better about it) started and was so severe and long, authoritarianism expert planning was the answer.

The "Nazi agenda" came over a decade after Italian fascism laid the foundations of the ideology. Even many of the Nazi's within the Party were not as wedded to the racial focus as Hitler and his inner circle were, Mussolini notably considered it borderline anti-fascist to be separating out groups rather than unifying them under the state but Hitler and Germany were always the most powerful of the fascist states. Part of the reason he had Gentile write The Doctrine was because of Hitler and Nazi popularity among the masses of the West versus the comparative limited popularity of traditional fascism to the intellectuals.

Father Coughlin and Huey Long were New Deal supporters who turned on FDR because FDR had halted his imposition of a fascist economic system best seen in the establishment of the NRA which was a borderline direct copy of the system setup in Italy and later Germany. When Long was killed and the National Union for Social Justice led to not a successful pursuit of the Share Our Wealth platform anywhere, but endless infighting and FDR's massive landslide re-election, that's when Coughlin had his "break" and descended into his connecting of Jewish forces, big banks, the capitalists and FDR as holding back the pursuit of social justice as would be achieved by following a fascist economic agenda. Long, Coughlin and the Social Justice movement of the 1934-1936 was not racist towards blacks for example, Long was notable as one of the few Southern politicians to be not only successful but not a segregationist let alone white supremacist of the period, and the magazine had an oddly large black subscriber base.

Long though was what held the group together on the economic focus. His murder, let Coughlin and the magazine begin to head down their path into Jewish conspiracy theories and full on anti-semetic hate. Gerald Smith eventually won the fight to control Share Our Wealth which he turned into a white supremacist movement, and he later joined the Silver Shirts and started the American First Party (distinct from the Committee) which was openly pro-Nazi. Smith was one of the earliest to publish Holocaust denial books. However, he ran out of money, was shunned by even white supremacists post-war and so basically retired into crazy Christian schemes rather than wait a few years to meet The Great One:

Boredfrom

« Reply #9538 on: October 15, 2017, 04:10:43 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Being fair, my (subjective) impresion of looking to this political drama is that one of the big problems that your two party political system is that people are encouraged to try to ignore the similarities with this ideologies just to be loyal to the party politics, even when is not congruent ideologically speaking. Why compromise or search for a middle ground when you are in "the right side" ?

benjipwns

« Reply #9539 on: October 15, 2017, 06:51:14 PM »
Peter Daou speaks truth to power with new article: https://verrit.com/the-frustration-with-bernie-sanders/
The Frustration With Bernie Sanders – An Explainer

There is a strange and persistent myth that Bernie Sanders didn’t run a negative campaign against Hillary Clinton in 2016. The myth persists because the mainstream media and GOP largely gave him a free pass to attack her. And they did so because his campaign was doing their dirty work, systematically assailing her public image with rightwing talking points.

Because the damage Sanders did helped elect Trump, it is important to create a record of it so Democrats don’t make the same mistake again.

Not A Becky
October 15, 2017 at 1:22 am
Finally somebody writes about this. Thank you. I’ve seen so many people in the media claim that the attacks by Bernie and his male supporters weren’t that big of a deal. It has been a big deal. Many of us were too stunned for a long time to even realize what was happening. They were especially going after feminists & saying things I would never repeat. Once we started fighting back, some started acting like they had no idea where this was coming from & other doubled down even harder. Complete gaslighting.
Liz
October 15, 2017 at 3:05 pm
Yes to all of this. How many female Hillary supporters spent the primary and even general campaign season being harassed endlessly by certain male Bernie supporters?! Not only that, but even the more level-headed Bernie supporters still refuse to admit that they even exist, as though all of us women who got the brunt of their ire are making it all up.

I am terrified that he is going to deliver us a second term of the Trump presidency.
Liz
October 15, 2017 at 3:13 pm
I still don’t understand WHY the Democrats let him run under the party name…has the Democratic party ever explained why on earth they let this happen?

DON'T FORGET:
https://twitter.com/verrit/status/919603254551547904