Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5449405 times)

Nola

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Bring Obama Back Already #boba
« Reply #9900 on: October 25, 2017, 11:18:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/JaxAlemany/status/923326838549688320

Sucks to be a rust belt junkie these days I guess.

Response basically goes from:

starting out
:playa

to

:huh

to

Which to be fair, pretty much sums all of his interviews. Though I guess 90% of the time that first part doesn't happen. Just the last two.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9901 on: October 26, 2017, 01:46:26 AM »
I've found that viewing the opioid trend as "drugs pouring in from Mexico" is pretty common among Trump supporters.

H.I.V.E.

« Reply #9902 on: October 26, 2017, 02:19:27 AM »
Any Cruz missiles here?

Boredfrom

« Reply #9903 on: October 26, 2017, 04:08:32 AM »
I've found that viewing the opioid trend as "drugs pouring in from Mexico" is pretty common among Trump supporters.

That is spectacularly uninformed even for Trumpkins.

studyguy

« Reply #9904 on: October 26, 2017, 11:04:46 AM »
NY president claiming that a VA candidate is going to save his southern heritage is some hilarious shit.
pause

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #9905 on: October 26, 2017, 11:26:52 AM »
I can't help but chuckle at the opioid crisis being such a perfect example of the lack of empathy many white people have for people who don't look like them. I don't remember any of this compassion or initiative when crack hit inner cities. Instead people, specifically black men, were hit with mandatory minimums and draconian police tactics. Now we have politicians demanding billions of dollars to help these poor white people deal with drug addiction, get jobs, etc.

agrajag

« Reply #9906 on: October 26, 2017, 11:28:41 AM »
the house just passed the budget

« Reply #9907 on: October 26, 2017, 11:33:47 AM »
I can't help but chuckle at the opioid crisis being such a perfect example of the lack of empathy many white people have for people who don't look like them. I don't remember any of this compassion or initiative when crack hit inner cities. Instead people, specifically black men, were hit with mandatory minimums and draconian police tactics. Now we have politicians demanding billions of dollars to help these poor white people deal with drug addiction, get jobs, etc.

Lots of white people are still lacking in empathy. King County (WA) is trying to get a couple heroin injection/monitoring sites established, one in Seattle and then another in one of the suburbs. All of the suburbs are fighting like hell against having it built in their towns. The majority of these drug users are fucking white people that look just like these NIMBYs.
野球

studyguy

« Reply #9908 on: October 26, 2017, 11:37:02 AM »

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/923566534227890176

Definitely fucked up, the shitty irony is asking Trump for empathy seems like a long shot when their initial response to announcing the crisis back in like was to step up enforcement and say shit like IF TIMMY NEVER GETS THE DRUGS HE'S GOING TO BE OK. Who needs treatment when you can just lock dudes up left and right.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 11:46:17 AM by studyguy »
pause

« Reply #9909 on: October 26, 2017, 11:38:12 AM »
So when does Trump get to distract everyone with the blacked out JFK documents?
野球

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9910 on: October 26, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »
©@©™

studyguy

« Reply #9911 on: October 26, 2017, 11:50:05 AM »
Would have been shocked if the budget didn't pass though tbh. They needed this for reconciliation
There's no reason for it not to have and they'd be dead in the water beyond anything before if they couldn't.

Also,
https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/923575762778812417
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Text for Tax Reform on Nov. 1st.
This is going to be the biggest shit show.
pause

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #9912 on: October 26, 2017, 11:53:36 AM »

I'm not going to pretend how we handle minority/majority issues are same, but there is a large disparity in the violence surrounding the two epidemics. The crack era quickly turned inner cities into war zones. The opioid crisis has basically been people stealing from their own friends/families and dying in cars. It's been going on for more than a decade now.

It hasn't been until fairly recently where violent crime is starting to uptick due to it. In turn, now you're starting to see police forces starting to aggressively respond to it.

I think our attitudes toward drug addiction have changed in the past 40 years also. That plays a role in the "more compassion" angle.

studyguy

« Reply #9913 on: October 26, 2017, 12:12:48 PM »
Gillespie has been trying to avoid Trump at all costs and yet this morning...  :doge
Gillespie did not acknowledge Trump’s support for nearly 12 hours, and only after he was asked about it on a media call. He still hasn’t included it among his long list of endorsements on his campaign website.

That afternoon, Gillespie was at his campaign headquarters desk, bristling as he faced more questions about Trump.
No, he didn’t know the president would endorse him.
No, he had not asked for Trump’s blessing.
“Can we go off the record?” Gillespie asked before saying, “I’m not going to talk about this.”
He referred further questions to his spokesman, who was sitting a couple of feet away. But Gillespie wasn’t finished.
“I don’t recall having asked anyone for their endorsement,” he said. Then: “I guess I’m just confused why this is newsworthy.”

Twenty minutes later, after the subject had changed, he circled back and insisted on one last point.
“Just to be clear, I didn’t ask him not to endorse,” he said of the president, before disappearing down a hallway.

Also back on the topic of Opioids, reading back Trump's response.
He essentially called for more attention to the issue again without issuing funds. Literally the least he could do.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/26/trump-administration-to-declare-opioid-crisis-a-public-health-emergency-244200

President Donald Trump on Thursday will announce that the opioid crisis is a public health emergency — a move that is narrower in scope than what his own opioid commission had recommended and does not include new funds to combat the epidemic that has claimed thousands of lives.

Senior administration officials told reporters that acting HHS Secretary Eric Hargan will sign the declaration on Thursday. That will allow public health agencies to re-direct existing resources to the crisis, cut "bureaucratic delays" in hiring personnel and expand access to telemedicine, including remote prescribing of medication commonly used for substance abuse or other mental health treatment.

But the declaration will not include the extra money that state officials say is critical to respond to the drug epidemic that is claiming 142 lives a day. The HHS public health fund currently has only about $57,000, though the officials said Trump may ask Congress for more opioid funding in an end-of-the-year spending bill.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:18:16 PM by studyguy »
pause

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9914 on: October 26, 2017, 02:51:47 PM »
"I'm confused as why [an endorsement from the president of the United States] is newsworthy."

Okay, buddy.

Pwnz

« Reply #9915 on: October 26, 2017, 03:15:27 PM »
At this point I feel like Rasmussen's Trump approval rating is fudged.  Doesn't matter what's going on, it's -8 to -12.  Even Fox News has -19.

studyguy

« Reply #9916 on: October 26, 2017, 03:16:45 PM »
Trump trying to go get addicts to turn in their prescription drugs like all the people suffering from opioid addiction are shooting up first :lol
Acting like their dealers are some hardened MS-13 DRUG CARTELS RUNNING ACROSS THE BORDERS when in actuality it's their local dude at Wal-Mart's pharmacy getting them hooked and feeding the initial problem at all.
pause

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #9917 on: October 26, 2017, 03:18:26 PM »
At this point I feel like Rasmussen's Trump approval rating is fudged.  Doesn't matter what's going on, it's -8 to -12.  Even Fox News has -19.

Ya, that is odd that a conservative polling outfit would do that. :thinking

I remember times when they had McCain and Romney up on Obama.
©ZH

Pwnz

« Reply #9918 on: October 26, 2017, 03:18:39 PM »

What tax brackets would this lead to?  Any impact on deductions?

I mean I have mixed feelings about this.  On the one hand it may screw over people in greater need, but on the other hand this may save me thousands per year and despite liking current Dems better they would have just gone into debt silently on foreign proxy wars about the same.

studyguy

« Reply #9919 on: October 26, 2017, 03:32:56 PM »

What tax brackets would this lead to?  Any impact on deductions?

I mean I have mixed feelings about this.  On the one hand it may screw over people in greater need, but on the other hand this may save me thousands per year and despite liking current Dems better they would have just gone into debt silently on foreign proxy wars about the same.

Tax reform text is next month.
pause

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9920 on: October 26, 2017, 04:02:09 PM »

I'm not going to pretend how we handle minority/majority issues are same, but there is a large disparity in the violence surrounding the two epidemics. The crack era quickly turned inner cities into war zones. The opioid crisis has basically been people stealing from their own friends/families and dying in cars. It's been going on for more than a decade now.

It hasn't been until fairly recently where violent crime is starting to uptick due to it. In turn, now you're starting to see police forces starting to aggressively respond to it.

I think our attitudes toward drug addiction have changed in the past 40 years also. That plays a role in the "more compassion" angle.

You could argue the police and state responses were bad before the violence sparked and made things worse, not to mention drugs literally being flooded into the streets by the government.

I'd argue attitudes toward drug addiction have changed in large part because the faces of drug addiction are finally being recognized as white. They've used drugs more than blacks for quite some time, but the image of drug addiction for a long time was the black crackhead, or the black crack mother, etc.

Phoenix Dark

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #9923 on: October 26, 2017, 07:58:31 PM »
makes you wonder about our national security that 50 year old documents could cause "potentially irreversible harm" to it

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9924 on: October 26, 2017, 08:06:55 PM »
I read somewhere some of these documents were drafted in the 90's.
Might have something to do with the Iron Curtain coming down and getting more intel out of Eastern Europe. Tracking old leads that sort of stuff.

Or Trump read: "When Kennedy cut taxes and wanted to end our wars, we shot the fucker. If you're reading this you better redact it or we'll shoot you as well Mr. President, <3 CIA."
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #9925 on: October 26, 2017, 08:07:01 PM »
makes you wonder about our national security that 50 year old documents could cause "potentially irreversible harm" to it

Hey, I’ve seen MIB. There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they DO NOT KNOW ABOUT IT!
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #9926 on: October 26, 2017, 08:11:35 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/opinion/algorithm-compas-sentencing-bias.html
In 2013, police officers in Wisconsin arrested a man driving a car that had been used in a recent shooting. The man, Eric Loomis, pleaded guilty to attempting to flee an officer, and no contest to operating a vehicle without the owner’s consent. Neither of his crimes mandates prison time.

At Mr. Loomis’s sentencing, the judge cited, among other factors, Mr. Loomis’s high risk of recidivism as predicted by a computer program called COMPAS, a risk assessment algorithm used by the state of Wisconsin. The judge denied probation and prescribed an 11-year sentence: six years in prison, plus five years of extended supervision.

No one knows exactly how COMPAS works; its manufacturer refuses to disclose the proprietary algorithm. We only know the final risk assessment score it spits out, which judges may consider at sentencing.

Mr. Loomis challenged the use of an algorithm as a violation of his due process rights to be sentenced individually, and without consideration of impermissible factors like gender. The Wisconsin Supreme Court rejected his challenge. In June, the United States Supreme Court declined to hear his case, meaning a majority of justices effectively condoned the algorithm’s use. Their decision will have far-ranging effects.
:trumps

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #9927 on: October 26, 2017, 08:31:18 PM »
Why are there still judges? ???
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9928 on: October 26, 2017, 08:45:32 PM »
I liked it better when it was skynet and robocop shooting us in the face/blowing us up. Not throwing us in prison over some petty shit  :dayum

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #9929 on: October 26, 2017, 09:47:34 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/26/opinion/algorithm-compas-sentencing-bias.html
In 2013, police officers in Wisconsin arrested a man driving a car that had been used in a recent shooting. The man, Eric Loomis, pleaded guilty to attempting to flee an officer, and no contest to operating a vehicle without the owner’s consent. Neither of his crimes mandates prison time.

At Mr. Loomis’s sentencing, the judge cited, among other factors, Mr. Loomis’s high risk of recidivism as predicted by a computer program called COMPAS, a risk assessment algorithm used by the state of Wisconsin. The judge denied probation and prescribed an 11-year sentence: six years in prison, plus five years of extended supervision.

No one knows exactly how COMPAS works; its manufacturer refuses to disclose the proprietary algorithm. We only know the final risk assessment score it spits out, which judges may consider at sentencing.

Mr. Loomis challenged the use of an algorithm as a violation of his due process rights to be sentenced individually, and without consideration of impermissible factors like gender. The Wisconsin Supreme Court rejected his challenge. In June, the United States Supreme Court declined to hear his case, meaning a majority of justices effectively condoned the algorithm’s use. Their decision will have far-ranging effects.
:trumps
posting on the bore is a factor
每天生气

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #9930 on: October 26, 2017, 10:02:12 PM »
Very dystopian sci-fi turned reality vibe, innit?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9931 on: October 26, 2017, 10:11:28 PM »

It's basically the prequel to Psycho Pass.
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #9932 on: October 26, 2017, 10:51:06 PM »

It's basically the prequel to Psycho Pass.

next year they'll roll out the pills

« Reply #9933 on: October 27, 2017, 12:04:36 AM »
Oh good, now robots can be racist too.  :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #9934 on: October 27, 2017, 12:39:15 AM »
At minimum there's a problem with the algorithm that needs to be corrected if judges are going to be using it despite it spitting out problematic results. But the company denies there's any problems:
Black defendants were still 77 percent more likely to be pegged as at higher risk of committing a future violent crime and 45 percent more likely to be predicted to commit a future crime of any kind. (Read our analysis.)

The algorithm used to create the Florida risk scores is a product of a for-profit company, Northpointe. The company disputes our analysis.

In a letter, it criticized ProPublica’s methodology and defended the accuracy of its test: “Northpointe does not agree that the results of your analysis, or the claims being made based upon that analysis, are correct or that they accurately reflect the outcomes from the application of the model.”

Northpointe’s software is among the most widely used assessment tools in the country. The company does not publicly disclose the calculations used to arrive at defendants’ risk scores, so it is not possible for either defendants or the public to see what might be driving the disparity. (On Sunday, Northpointe gave ProPublica the basics of its future-crime formula — which includes factors such as education levels, and whether a defendant has a job. It did not share the specific calculations, which it said are proprietary.)

Northpointe’s core product is a set of scores derived from 137 questions that are either answered by defendants or pulled from criminal records. Race is not one of the questions. The survey asks defendants such things as: “Was one of your parents ever sent to jail or prison?” “How many of your friends/acquaintances are taking drugs illegally?” and “How often did you get in fights while at school?” The questionnaire also asks people to agree or disagree with statements such as “A hungry person has a right to steal” and “If people make me angry or lose my temper, I can be dangerous.”

« Reply #9935 on: October 27, 2017, 01:02:58 AM »
At minimum there's a problem with the algorithm that needs to be corrected if judges are going to be using it despite it spitting out problematic results. But the company denies there's any problems:
Black defendants were still 77 percent more likely to be pegged as at higher risk of committing a future violent crime and 45 percent more likely to be predicted to commit a future crime of any kind. (Read our analysis.)

The algorithm used to create the Florida risk scores is a product of a for-profit company, Northpointe. The company disputes our analysis.

In a letter, it criticized ProPublica’s methodology and defended the accuracy of its test: “Northpointe does not agree that the results of your analysis, or the claims being made based upon that analysis, are correct or that they accurately reflect the outcomes from the application of the model.”

Northpointe’s software is among the most widely used assessment tools in the country. The company does not publicly disclose the calculations used to arrive at defendants’ risk scores, so it is not possible for either defendants or the public to see what might be driving the disparity. (On Sunday, Northpointe gave ProPublica the basics of its future-crime formula — which includes factors such as education levels, and whether a defendant has a job. It did not share the specific calculations, which it said are proprietary.)

Northpointe’s core product is a set of scores derived from 137 questions that are either answered by defendants or pulled from criminal records. Race is not one of the questions. The survey asks defendants such things as: “Was one of your parents ever sent to jail or prison?” “How many of your friends/acquaintances are taking drugs illegally?” and “How often did you get in fights while at school?” The questionnaire also asks people to agree or disagree with statements such as “A hungry person has a right to steal” and “If people make me angry or lose my temper, I can be dangerous.”
Probably because they don't think that's a problem.  :doge

injurai

« Reply #9936 on: October 27, 2017, 01:32:48 AM »
So... is this were brain cells come to die?

benjipwns

« Reply #9937 on: October 27, 2017, 01:50:08 AM »
No, that was the dumpster thread. Though I imagine an unstickied dumpster "political" arguments thread where people can go to argue about social studies warriors and the transgender forcing themselves on everyone or whatever endlessly might stop people complaining about it in the other dumpster thread.

Oh, and the 2016 primaries that Hillary stole from Bernie.

injurai

« Reply #9938 on: October 27, 2017, 02:07:30 AM »
No, that was the dumpster thread. Though I imagine an unstickied dumpster "political" arguments thread where people can go to argue about social studies warriors and the transgender forcing themselves on everyone or whatever endlessly might stop people complaining about it in the other dumpster thread.

You mean DWS stole for Hillary.

shosta

« Reply #9939 on: October 27, 2017, 04:44:06 AM »

You mean DWS stole for Hillary.
you mean ACORN stole from Lincoln Chafee
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #9940 on: October 27, 2017, 04:49:54 AM »
Wow with the conspiracy theories. No, his metric fetish did him in. Democrats may hate America but not that much.

shosta

« Reply #9941 on: October 27, 2017, 06:21:14 AM »
Unpopular opinion but man do I miss the 2016 election. I mean just look at this.
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #9942 on: October 27, 2017, 09:29:02 AM »
CORRUPT MEDIA UPDATE: Evening News Spent 1,000 Minutes on Trump-Russia Story… 20 Seconds on Hillary-Russia Story
Here’s one top takeaway from network news coverage in 2017: Sneaky Russian influence in American politics is a huge story if it involves Republicans/Donald Trump, but a non-story if it involves Democrats/Hillary Clinton.

MRC analysts have been tracking all evening news coverage of the Trump administration since Inauguration Day. From Inauguration Day, January 20, through last Friday, October 20, these broadcasts have aired an astonishing 1,000 minutes of coverage discussing Russia’s attempt to boost Trump in 2016, and speculation that Trump’s campaign may have colluded with the Russians in this project.

Last week, The Hill published new information about Russian efforts to infiltrate the American uranium industry, including $31.3 million in payments to the Clinton Foundation, as well as a huge speaking fee delivered to Bill Clinton personally, while Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State. In eight days, the network evening news coverage of this story amount to a mere 20 seconds on ABC’s World News Tonight.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/26/how-team-hillary-played-the-press-for-fools-on-russia/
Hillary Clinton’s campaign didn’t just pay for the Kremlin-aided smear job on Donald Trump before the election; she continued to use the dirt after the election to frame her humiliating loss as a Russian conspiracy to steal the election.

Bitter to the core, she and her campaign aides hatched a scheme, just 24 hours after conceding the race, to spoon-feed the dirty rumors to an eager liberal media and manufacture the narrative that Russia secretly colluded with her neophyte foe to sabotage her coronation.
A new Media Research Center study finds that, since the inauguration, major TV news networks have devoted an astonishing 1,000 minutes out of a total 5,015 minutes of Trump administration coverage discussing speculation that the Trump campaign may have colluded with Moscow in hacking Clinton campaign emails, “which means the Russia story alone has comprised almost one-fifth of all Trump news this year.” In contrast, they so far have devoted just 20 seconds to the more substantive scandal of Hillary and her husband possibly trading US uranium rights for Russian cash.

MRC analysts also found that more than a third of the networks’ Russia “scandal” coverage was based on anonymous sources who worked in the Obama administration, including Hillary’s State Department.

Though some of that coverage has proved erroneous, leading to retracted stories and fired reporters, the damage is done. Trump’s approval ratings have suffered, and the Russia investigation has distracted the administration.

Which was also part of Hillary’s plan.
In short, Hillary couldn’t beat Trump with the political dirt she secretly purchased during the campaign, so she tried to cripple his presidency with help from an overwhelmingly anti-Trump media. Framing Trump as some sort of modern-day KGB plant was an easy sell, since the pro-Democrat media were also searching for a scapegoat to rationalize the crushing defeat of their shared liberal agenda at the polls.

The irony is, it may have in fact been Hillary who came closer to colluding with the Russians in smearing Trump as a Russian traitor than anything Trump did in trying to beat Hillary. The information in the dossier she bought for millions came from Russian intelligence sources, and her lawyers brokered the deal with a Kremlin-tied lobbyist. When it failed to stop Trump, the Russia paymaster turned into the Russia spinmeister.

Now we really know “What Happened.”

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:putin
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #9944 on: October 27, 2017, 09:38:41 AM »

GORKA AT ~5:15 :lawd :whew

benjipwns

« Reply #9945 on: October 27, 2017, 09:39:09 AM »
Who the fuck is Peter Daou and why the FUCK do you keep posting his insane tweets?
Former TheBore poster and current ResetERA poster Jack Remington.

studyguy

« Reply #9946 on: October 27, 2017, 11:42:17 AM »
What's up w/ these cacs volunteering to fuck up their own days?
Texans owners Bob McNair, re: anthem protests: “We can't have the inmates running the prison.”

:neogaf
pause

studyguy

« Reply #9947 on: October 27, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »
That Bob McNair dude couldn't have chosen poorer words  :lol

And it's inmates running the asylum, not the prison.
The implication is people are nutty, not criminals lmao.
pause

« Reply #9948 on: October 27, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »

warcock

« Reply #9949 on: October 27, 2017, 02:24:24 PM »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #9950 on: October 27, 2017, 02:52:16 PM »
Trump's face looks like a Youtube makeup tutorial 30% of the way through.

studyguy

pause

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9952 on: October 27, 2017, 06:31:21 PM »
Who the fuck is Peter Daou and why the FUCK do you keep posting his insane tweets?
Former TheBore poster and current ResetERA poster Jack Remington.
Fun fact: apparently, blocking an account on Twitter does not prevent you from seeing embedded tweets from that account on other sites.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #9954 on: October 27, 2017, 07:10:28 PM »
You can tell something was a good and cool and smart decision when people rush to disown it.

« Reply #9955 on: October 27, 2017, 07:35:30 PM »
I hope that every single person involved in the whitefish deal, as well as every single person turning Puerto Rico into a feel good story about how good a job Trump has done with recovery, has a VIP seat waiting for them in Hell.

Signed, someone whose life is currently in shambles and still has no reliable power/water 37 days after Maria.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #9956 on: October 27, 2017, 07:44:18 PM »
remember when etoilet said Carmen Cruz was being a party hack when she criticized the deal

good times

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #9957 on: October 27, 2017, 08:37:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/924070560723865605

so that's why the GOP has trotted out talking points on Clinton being the real colluder

« Reply #9958 on: October 27, 2017, 08:49:33 PM »
Hey trump fans.

Get fucked. :bolo :miyamoto :ufup :gladbron

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #9959 on: October 27, 2017, 08:55:15 PM »
 :lol

This makes the mad rush for tax cuts make more sense.
vin