Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5449924 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Bring Obama Back Already #boba
« Reply #9960 on: October 27, 2017, 09:33:02 PM »
https://www.thedailybeast.com/youtube-trumpkin-and-former-milo-intern-kills-his-own-dad-for-calling-him-a-nazi
I read that and wondered if I would put it in this thread or the outside-links thread, but either way: DAMN, ain't that some shit? Son sounds like he was a troubled soul to begin with, but the "If you're going to treat me like a _____, I might as well act like one" argument hasn't worked for me since I was 12. We'll see how it holds up as a defense in court.

Tasty

« Reply #9961 on: October 27, 2017, 09:36:12 PM »
Dude clearly WAS 12 year olds mentally.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #9963 on: October 27, 2017, 09:39:02 PM »
The FBI finding the dossier credible enough to investigate is far more relevant than who funded it.
In a world where the government is increasingly offloading tasks they are not allowed to perform to third-party private entities, your statement is not only true, but can be considered de rigueur.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #9964 on: October 27, 2017, 10:02:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/JaxAlemany/status/923326838549688320

Sucks to be a rust belt junkie these days I guess.

I wonder if Donny saw a special on opioid addiction, and now thinks he's an expert…

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #9965 on: October 27, 2017, 10:06:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/seanhannity/status/924090079362080768

:lol Hannity subbing in for Trump's inevitable twitter meltdown. 

Tasty

« Reply #9966 on: October 27, 2017, 10:26:41 PM »
Wait, did Trump imply cheap Canadian drugs are fueling the opioid epidemic???

Himu

« Reply #9967 on: October 27, 2017, 10:50:16 PM »
Sean Hannity is a moron. :lol
IYKYK

« Reply #9968 on: October 27, 2017, 11:04:59 PM »
Sean Hannity is a moron. :lol

I want to see his reaction once the inevitable comes to fruition? Will he simply pretend like it never happened? Will he say he was secretly against him the whole time? Or will he go down the rabbit hole and proclaim this a coup against "Murica and that he, a rich educated metropolitan born is a champion of the common man. ::)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9969 on: October 27, 2017, 11:12:57 PM »
Hannity is morphing into rosie o'donnell

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #9970 on: October 27, 2017, 11:24:13 PM »
https://twitter.com/KimStrassel/status/923274673965563904

they're really pushing this, on multiple fronts. not gonna lie, wouldn't be stunned if Trump fires Mueller before Thanksgiving.

Nola

« Reply #9971 on: October 28, 2017, 12:24:42 AM »

they're really pushing this, on multiple fronts. not gonna lie, wouldn't be stunned if Trump fires Mueller before Thanksgiving.

Definitely feels like they have been laying the groundwork to justify it to the base for some time now. Like Benghazi or anything else the right-wing pushes, just hammering it home consistently over time and catastrophizing about it and eventually it becomes the dominating narrative in such circles.

Going back to trying to discredit him by the ridiculous claim that having Democrats on his team indicated a partisan witch hunt.  Even though him explicitly hiring Democrats or Republicans(or asking about party affiliation at all) is strictly forbidden and would actually constitute a fireable breach. Which if they actually had evidence of they would be pushing it 24/7.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:33:33 AM by Nola »

« Reply #9972 on: October 28, 2017, 12:42:30 AM »

Some Bailey's for you Bore.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9973 on: October 28, 2017, 12:57:32 AM »
Looks like it's almost Fuckery O'Clock.
©@©™

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #9974 on: October 28, 2017, 01:28:45 AM »
Yes yes yes yes
que

agrajag

« Reply #9975 on: October 28, 2017, 01:39:19 AM »
Manafort is in deep doo doo.

Kartik

« Reply #9976 on: October 28, 2017, 04:22:36 AM »
It's amazing how these guys can character assassinate a Vietnam war vet and a former FBI director so easily based on some filmsy reporting.

I think Manafort is fucked. They'll go after Flynn next. I hope they're looking into Don jr's emails too, I thought that was blatant collusion.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #9977 on: October 28, 2017, 04:57:31 AM »
Is Trump in federal prison yet?

:win

Sink the whole damn ship, Mueller. GO FOR BROKE

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #9978 on: October 28, 2017, 05:04:09 AM »
Hopefully MueLLer is finding Seth Rich's killer !
ὕβρις

« Reply #9979 on: October 28, 2017, 05:58:41 AM »
Hopefully MueLLer is finding Seth Rich's killer !
:insane

« Reply #9980 on: October 28, 2017, 02:36:56 PM »
Man, a couple posters in that gaf thread are gonna have a rough week reconciling their world views with reality when those arrests happen.

Also Optimist I voted for Bernie and all your talking points sound like Trumperville nonsense. I again ask where are your actual arguments?

etiolate

« Reply #9981 on: October 28, 2017, 02:51:03 PM »
remember when etoilet said Carmen Cruz was being a party hack when she criticized the deal

good times

She's still playing a political prop.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9982 on: October 28, 2017, 03:58:46 PM »
You really are a trash poster.
dog

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

« Reply #9984 on: October 28, 2017, 04:48:35 PM »
Can't wait till straight pride day.

I feel oppressed with all this media and entertainment focused on my sexuality alone.  :doge

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #9985 on: October 28, 2017, 06:07:14 PM »

... then what happens?
rub

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #9986 on: October 28, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »

they're really pushing this, on multiple fronts. not gonna lie, wouldn't be stunned if Drumpf fires Mueller before Thanksgiving.

... then what happens?
Literally nothing. A new person gets in and pick up exactly where he left off with the bonus implication that 45's camp is guilty. :trumps
Hi

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #9987 on: October 28, 2017, 06:54:24 PM »
Can't wait till straight pride day.
"Why isn't there a white history month"?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #9988 on: October 28, 2017, 08:06:26 PM »
Literally nothing. A new person gets in and pick up exactly where he left off with the bonus implication that 45's camp is guilty. :trumps

Is the replacement mandatory ? Can't Justice decide to drop altogether the special appointed status he's holding ? I know the legislative branch has made noise to the effect they would appoint someone if Mueller was dismissed so as to keep the investigation moving but I don't know how certain it is they would keep their word.
I'm sure things will continue to go forward one way or another (even via leaks to the press if necessary) considering how serious the allegations are. I could see Trump trying to delay it as much as possible.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9989 on: October 28, 2017, 08:36:51 PM »
This won't go anywhere. A few cronies like Manafort will take a hit and that's the end of it.

Now that Mueller himself, GOP, DNC and Trumpkins are implicated they probably want to take this to its inevitable conclusion.
- Manafort gets fucked for messing around with Yanukovich and Putin in Ukraine.
- Some bills will be pushed to better regulate political advertising on social media
- Flynn gets in trouble for being a lackey of Turkey
- FBI/CIA will start to chip away at Russia Today/Sputnik in the US

Trump is going to get away with whatever it is he did and looking at what we know he probably wasn't very involved in all this and fuck all happened.
The narrative collapsed when Kushner was still trying to set-up backchannels with the Kremlin after Trump was elected and the Russians didn't seem very excited to talk.
Donald also did fuck all to help the Russians in any meaningful way. Hell, the most likely Russian agent (Manafort) couldn't control him and would've lost the election.
It was Trump's call to bring in his 'friends' Bannon and Kellyanne.

Finally, if you have a plan to take-over America with a puppet emperor, Donald 'fucking' Trump would not be the linchpin of this plan. You'd go with robot Rubio or someone else who's less unpredictable.  :doge

I honestly find it hard to believe that at some point FSB/GRU operatives said: "You know what Comrade? We're going to hand Donald Trump the biggest stockpile of nuclear weapons on the planet."
🤴

« Reply #9990 on: October 28, 2017, 08:47:18 PM »
This won't go anywhere. A few cronies like Manafort will take a hit and that's the end of it.

At this point this is a madness mantra for some people, even as it very clearly is going somewhere. :doge

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
« Reply #9991 on: October 28, 2017, 09:19:46 PM »
Who the fuck is Peter Daou and why the FUCK do you keep posting his insane tweets?

Peter Daou is part of Shareblue, DNC's propaganda arm that has flooded reddit and social media with DNC bullshit for more than a year now.

Jimmy Dore on the other hand is the kind of personality that liberals fucking hate with passion because not only he supports Bernie and the actual left but refuses to adopt the liberal distractions about THE RUSSIANS. He realizes like most of us do that Trump is a symptom not a cause and focuses on more important matters, like, you know, getting rid of all the neoliberal scum from the political system, both republican and democrat.

And btw I will wholeheartedly agree with this youtube comment on Dore's video:

Getting dirt on a political opponent isn't the story. The story is that Clinton DID sell political influence/votes to the Russians in exchange for cash to The Clinton Foundation & directly to Bill Clinton. THEN the Clinton campaign and the DNC spun a fantasy saying that TRUMP sold political influence to the Russians in exchange for them fixing the election for Trump.

And that's what we've been hearing for a YEAR. A LIE*, a *fantasy created by Clinton & the DNC accusing Trump of doing what they actually did.

Now, Trump may very well have crooked financial deals with Russian oligarchs- but that is WHOLLY different than Trump traded influence for election tampering. That's a BIG freaking deal.

ETA: You know- it's even worse than I stated above because people like Donna Brazile and Hillary Clinton actually called for WAR with Russia based on this lie. Now either they were ACTUALLY willing to start a war based on the LIE they created or they were willing to threaten war to seem tough on Russia just in case their illegal/unethical/unAmerican deeds were discovered. Either way, they risked lives for their corruption. Unacceptable. Criminal.

Boredfrom

« Reply #9992 on: October 28, 2017, 09:47:56 PM »
We are posting YouTube comments now...

Optimus

« Reply #9993 on: October 28, 2017, 09:50:02 PM »

I would post even a 4chan comment if it was relevant to the discussion and made a good argument. Who gives a flying fuck where the comment is coming from?

Boredfrom

« Reply #9994 on: October 28, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »

I would post even a 4chan comment if it was relevant to the discussion and made a good argument. Who gives a flying fuck where the comment is coming from?

Speka it yourself, I'm sure you can paraphras and I'm doubt the guys posting it will not mind given that they posting it in YT and 4chan to begin with.

Also, the post is not doing a good argument.

« Reply #9995 on: October 28, 2017, 10:10:03 PM »
Who the fuck is Peter Daou and why the FUCK do you keep posting his insane tweets?

Peter Daou is part of Shareblue, DNC's propaganda arm that has flooded reddit and social media with DNC bullshit for more than a year now.

Jimmy Dore on the other hand is the kind of personality that liberals fucking hate with passion because not only he supports Bernie and the actual left but refuses to adopt the liberal distractions about THE RUSSIANS. He realizes like most of us do that Trump is a symptom not a cause and focuses on more important matters, like, you know, getting rid of all the neoliberal scum from the political system, both republican and democrat.

Getting dirt on a political opponent isn't the story. The story is that Clinton DID sell political influence/votes to the Russians in exchange for cash to The Clinton Foundation & directly to Bill Clinton. THEN the Clinton campaign and the DNC spun a fantasy saying that TRUMP sold political influence to the Russians in exchange for them fixing the election for Trump.

And that's what we've been hearing for a YEAR. A LIE*, a *fantasy created by Clinton & the DNC accusing Trump of doing what they actually did.

Now, Trump may very well have crooked financial deals with Russian oligarchs- but that is WHOLLY different than Trump traded influence for election tampering. That's a BIG freaking deal.

ETA: You know- it's even worse than I stated above because people like Donna Brazile and Hillary Clinton actually called for WAR with Russia based on this lie. Now either they were ACTUALLY willing to start a war based on the LIE they created or they were willing to threaten war to seem tough on Russia just in case their illegal/unethical/unAmerican deeds were discovered. Either way, they risked lives for their corruption. Unacceptable. Criminal.

The FBI and Mueller are really dedicated to the delusion with those arrests coming I guess.

I have no problem with you not liking the DNC, but I do have a problem with you spouting off Trumper/alt-right/Russian talking points. The threat of Russia is very real, and so is the investigation. :ufup

« Reply #9996 on: October 28, 2017, 10:53:20 PM »
It's kinda weird seeing y'all getting in a fuzz over Trump possibly being indicted when my president got indicted twice for corruption (multiple charges) and he's still the president. And the old fuck only has a 5% approval rating too.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #9997 on: October 28, 2017, 11:22:51 PM »
Where do you live, Uganda?
每天生气

« Reply #9998 on: October 28, 2017, 11:26:50 PM »
Brazil.

« Reply #9999 on: October 29, 2017, 01:55:28 AM »
I still think everyone is going down except for Trump. As much as I’d love to see him face he consequences for once in his life, I’m afraid it’s just not gonna happen.
野球

Optimus

« Reply #10000 on: October 29, 2017, 02:45:04 AM »

The FBI and Mueller are really dedicated to the delusion with those arrests coming I guess.

I have no problem with you not liking the DNC, but I do have a problem with you spouting off Trumper/alt-right/Russian talking points. The threat of Russia is very real, and so is the investigation. :ufup

Arrests are coming for Manafort and other political leeches that had dealing with both corrupt parties. Watch the damn video, Dore isn't an idiot he uses sources for the shit he says. The DNC distinguished mentally-challenged fellows used fucking Putin people to write that Dossier and now pretend to be fucking innocent. Stop being  spoonfed DNC propaganda from corporate media, this is way more complicated than they want you to think.

If there's one conclusion from all this is that Putin was playing both sides for a while now, not only he uses their corruption to promote Russian interests (uranium deal for example) but he also wants to completely delegitimize the American government worldwide by ridiculing and humiliating both parties.

Syph

« Reply #10001 on: October 29, 2017, 03:09:34 AM »

Now that Mueller himself, GOP, DNC and Trumpkins are implicated they probably want to take this to its inevitable conclusion.
- Manafort gets fucked for messing around with Yanukovich and Putin in Ukraine.
- Some bills will be pushed to better regulate political advertising on social media
- Flynn gets in trouble for being a lackey of Turkey
- FBI/CIA will start to chip away at Russia Today/Sputnik in the US

Trump is going to get away with whatever it is he did and looking at what we know he probably wasn't very involved in all this and fuck all happened.
The narrative collapsed when Kushner was still trying to set-up backchannels with the Kremlin after Trump was elected and the Russians didn't seem very excited to talk.
Donald also did fuck all to help the Russians in any meaningful way. Hell, the most likely Russian agent (Manafort) couldn't control him and would've lost the election.
It was Trump's call to bring in his 'friends' Bannon and Kellyanne.

Finally, if you have a plan to take-over America with a puppet emperor, Donald 'fucking' Trump would not be the linchpin of this plan. You'd go with robot Rubio or someone else who's less unpredictable.  :doge

I honestly find it hard to believe that at some point FSB/GRU operatives said: "You know what Comrade? We're going to hand Donald Trump the biggest stockpile of nuclear weapons on the planet."
Bingo.
Except for the Rubio part ;)
XO

« Reply #10002 on: October 29, 2017, 03:09:41 AM »

Arrests are coming for Manafort and other political leeches that had dealing with both corrupt parties. Watch the damn video, Dore isn't an idiot he uses sources for the shit he says. The DNC distinguished mentally-challenged fellows used fucking Putin people to write that Dossier and now pretend to be fucking innocent. Stop being  spoonfed DNC propaganda from corporate media, this is way more complicated than they want you to think.

If there's one conclusion from all this is that Putin was playing both sides for a while now, not only he uses their corruption to promote Russian interests (uranium deal for example) but he also wants to completely delegitimize the American government worldwide by ridiculing and humiliating both parties.

:drudge   :crazy :donot :insane

You really think that CNN, NYT, WaPo, DOJ and numerous other media outlets foreign and domestic and foreign intel are all colluding with the DNC/are being played by the Russian government.

Son stop.

Optimus

« Reply #10003 on: October 29, 2017, 03:44:10 AM »

You really think that CNN, NYT, WaPo, DOJ and numerous other media outlets foreign and domestic and foreign intel are all colluding with the DNC/are being played by the Russian government.

Son stop.

Yes, I think corporate media are all peddling propaganda to promote the interests of their owners. And the election of Trump or Brexit were both not part of their plan, that's why they're throwing tantrums now. CNN, NYT, and WaPo don't care if these allegations are true as long as the narrative is right, since you refuse to watch the video here's the part where a journalist who tried to actually investigate the Dossier talked on the matter and the conclusions he reached: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waGnHlRIsWM&t=310s

edit: thanks benji
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 05:14:28 AM by Optimus »

Optimus

« Reply #10004 on: October 29, 2017, 03:47:45 AM »
looks like I discovered a forum bug, putting that link in [url] makes the post disappear
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 03:53:21 AM by Optimus »

« Reply #10005 on: October 29, 2017, 04:00:22 AM »
Or maybe Donald Trump really is a traitor and this isn't a conspiracy.  :doge

You do realize the left has crazies too right?

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #10006 on: October 29, 2017, 04:13:41 AM »
The threat of Russia is very real
The threat of Russia doing what? To who?

They've just barely been able to avoid stalemates against places they should theoretically steamroll and where what they've "won" has always been highly populated with ethnic Russians or allies who hadn't fully integrated since the Soviet Union collapsed. South Ossetia in many ways can be considered a "loss" because it had already been semi-autonomous for 15 years when Russia began prepping it as the excuse for war with Georgia. A war that went so well that despite launching the largest military operation in post-Soviet Russian history, lasted all of five days (four and a half of which were after Georgia surrendered) before they outran supply lines and agreed to withdraw. Rather than tolerating the two, Georgia declared it and Abkhazia to be Russian occupied and sanctioned and cut them off. While EU forces moved in and they and the U.S. and much of the West imposed sanctions for it and increased aid to Georgia, including Trump recently. It's arguably a worse off situation for Russia than prior to the war.  Especially since both regions have had political upheavals that have tossed out the Russian friendly leaders as both now seem more interested in an independent path.

That was one reason Putin had the Crimea hold its vote so quickly. Even if likely highly fraudulent just holding it helped prevent any interim period where the "independent" nation starts to go, you know, maybe we don't want to become part of another country after escaping the last one which wasn't totally ignorant of our interests. The other two keep pushing off referenda just to rename the places because there's increasingly less support for joining Russia.

The Russian population in general despises Estonia yet Putin's essentially agreed to give them back 70 year old disputed territory in the long run and their big "win" was capturing a spy who probably was in Russian territory and exchanging him for one. He barely even used the Bronze Soldier controversy to leverage against it. Yeltsin wouldn't even talk to them and saw it as one of the better places to use for poll-bumping chest-thumping.

We, more than Russia, and even China, will continue to be our own worst enemy for some time.

benjipwns

« Reply #10007 on: October 29, 2017, 04:15:20 AM »
looks like I discovered a forum bug, putting that link in url makes the post disappear
You need to cut out all the playlist stuff and just leave the video part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waGnHlRIsWM&t=310s

benjipwns

« Reply #10008 on: October 29, 2017, 04:37:27 AM »
We, more than Russia, and even China, will continue to be our own worst enemy for some time.
You forgot to disclose your belief that "Containment Policy" against the Soviets and what it was used to justify was also this more than anything. :ufup

warcock

« Reply #10009 on: October 29, 2017, 04:52:35 AM »

They've just barely been able to avoid stalemates against places they should theoretically steamroll and where what they've "won" has always been highly populated with ethnic Russians or allies who hadn't fully integrated since the Soviet Union collapsed. South Ossetia in many ways can be considered a "loss" because it had already been semi-autonomous for 15 years when Russia began prepping it as the excuse for war with Georgia. A war that went so well that despite launching the largest military operation in post-Soviet Russian history, lasted all of five days (four and a half of which were after Georgia surrendered) before they outran supply lines and agreed to withdraw. Rather than tolerating the two, Georgia declared it and Abkhazia to be Russian occupied and sanctioned and cut them off. While EU forces moved in and they and the U.S. and much of the West imposed sanctions for it and increased aid to Georgia, including Trump recently. It's arguably a worse off situation for Russia than prior to the war.  Especially since both regions have had political upheavals that have tossed out the Russian friendly leaders as both now seem more interested in an independent path.

That was one reason Putin had the Crimea hold its vote so quickly. Even if likely highly fraudulent just holding it helped prevent any interim period where the "independent" nation starts to go, you know, maybe we don't want to become part of another country after escaping the last one which wasn't totally ignorant of our interests. The other two keep pushing off referenda just to rename the places because there's increasingly less support for joining Russia.

The Russian population in general despises Estonia yet Putin's essentially agreed to give them back 70 year old disputed territory in the long run and their big "win" was capturing a spy who probably was in Russian territory and exchanging him for one. He barely even used the Bronze Soldier controversy to leverage against it. Yeltsin wouldn't even talk to them and saw it as one of the better places to use for poll-bumping chest-thumping.

How long will it take until the donkey's back breaks though?  :doge

« Reply #10010 on: October 29, 2017, 05:09:00 AM »

Russia can still be a threat whilst ourselves are a threat.  :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #10011 on: October 29, 2017, 05:15:19 AM »
What's their direct threat to the United States?

Optimus

« Reply #10012 on: October 29, 2017, 05:25:34 AM »

Or maybe the r/politics crowd like you are being spoonfed by corporate media bullshit you want to hear for months and as the narrative collapses you hang on to that crap with everything you have. The actual left has been warning for months now that the DNC is using Trump to hide its own corruption and incompetence. In fact Trump is the best thing that happened to them, if it was a Republican president that wasn't a complete fucking idiot they'd have a serious problem hiding how disgusting they are and convincing the gullible to waste their time with pointless political drama.

And btw it's ironic how conditioned you people are that you're accusing us of peddling conspiracies when you are the ones trying to sell to American public a -by definition- conspiracy theory for months. They have convinced you that any info outside systemic media is "conspiracy".
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 05:57:01 AM by Optimus »

joe_zazen

« Reply #10013 on: October 29, 2017, 05:44:57 AM »
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:09:49 AM by joe_zazen »

joe_zazen

« Reply #10014 on: October 29, 2017, 05:54:46 AM »

« Reply #10015 on: October 29, 2017, 06:11:59 AM »
What's their direct threat to the United States?

Attacking our democracy and feed bullshit and lies.

Optimus is a perfect example.  :neogaf

« Reply #10016 on: October 29, 2017, 06:12:46 AM »

Or maybe the r/politics crowd like you are being spoonfed by corporate media bullshit you want to hear for months and as the narrative collapses you hang on to that crap with everything you have. The actual left has been warning for months now that the DNC is using Trump to hide its own corruption and incompetence. In fact Trump is the best thing that happened to them, if it was a Republican president that wasn't a complete fucking idiot they'd have a serious problem hiding how disgusting they are and convincing the gullible to waste their time with pointless political drama.

And btw it's ironic how conditioned you people are that you're accusing us of peddling conspiracies when you are the ones trying to sell to American public a -by definition- conspiracy theory for months. They have convinced you that any info outside systemic media is "conspiracy".
:hans1
Yes, the DNC is the true enemy.  :doge

joe_zazen

« Reply #10017 on: October 29, 2017, 06:23:49 AM »
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:08:56 AM by joe_zazen »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #10018 on: October 29, 2017, 06:33:45 AM »

To argue in a different lane than benji, I think my problem with the Russia influence stuff is that it's been turned, as many other things, in a purely binary issue.
Now I do believe that the Russian state did conduct operations to help spread self-beneficial information & talking points during the US election, maybe up to the point of disinformation and "hostile" (to use a trendy word) tampering and falsification. I certainly can see how fostering dissent in the US could serve Russia. I don't see any reason to disagree with a lot of the experts and academics I heard on the issue who seem pretty confident Russia has an history of conducting such campaigns and that all signs points to them doing it again in 2016.

That being said the claims cover all the spectrum from promoting sympathetic viewpoints in Russian-aligned media through hacking voter rolls up to Trump being a real-life version of The Americans and the Mandchurian Candidate combined. It's hard for me to swallow just coopting such a wide gulf of allegations, including some fairly ludicrous ones, and tarring sensible skepticism with suspicions of being the useful idiots of alt-right communist Soviets doesn't seem like the healtiest thing to do. Not to get all up on you hunter, but the Nintex post you responded to didn't deny Russian involvement or the fact that some people on his campaign team may have been compromised by Russian state or business interests and was careful to frame the idea that Trump wasn't maybe 100% aware of all this within the light of currently known information.

Not to be rent-a-Chomsky either but it find it hard to deny there's a tendency in the Western world (both in the mainstream political discourse and in the press) to always paint Russian actions in the most nefarious ways and apply a jarring double-standard. There's also a clear tendency, not wholly unfounded, to just conflate Russian state and business interests and thus in this discussion, corruption & treason.

Some of the allegations made around the Trump team could, presented in a less harsh light, qualify "merely" as lobbying or run of the mill low key diplomatic talks. Likewise with the coverage by Sputnik / Russia Today (I mean, it's not like those outlets are covert about their ownership and overall bent). It doesn't mean those weren't problematic at some level but to echo Nintex posts, those might be adressed with better laws on political advertising or political discourse (a far cry from dogwhistling warlike speeches against Russia). Honestly, from my filthy Yuropean vantage point where elections are firmly and rigidly framed by the oppressive State, the US Presidential Election "season" looks like a total trainwreck in this regard.

Somewhat ironically, assuming such a form of near-omnipotence by Russia plays directly into their all-out effort to convince the world they're still massively relevant. It also, mechanically, robs the US citizens of their agency and downplays what's more worrying about the election, namely that enough voters didn't mind or agreed with all the terrible shit Trump peddled that he was able to win. The President is just one man that can be changed every four years, but you will be stuck with those "deplorables" (to say it quickly) being a major political force for quite some time.

I do hope the Mueller investigation will help us, the public, have a clearer idea of what happened, how and by whom so that the scope of discussion can at last be narrowed to something more specific. For instance in the case of Kushner wanting to open a backdoor diplomatic channel free of US control (!) or Donald Trump Jr. deciding to meet a lobbyist with the express belief he would be supplied with illegally acquired dirt, it would be interesting to see which party was really the instigator and which one was playing along.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 06:38:11 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

warcock

« Reply #10019 on: October 29, 2017, 06:56:04 AM »
Haven't watched it yet, but since you homos seem to be fixated on this, http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/putins-revenge/

#sorospropaganda