Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5434077 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| The Mushroom Character from Mario Kart
« Reply #24360 on: September 23, 2018, 11:53:34 PM »
What? Does all of this only matter if it can somehow stop his confirmation? Pretty sure the GOP is going to vote for him anyway as expected. Or do you think they're actually going to blow up this opportunity over principles they've never claimed to hold?

I'm rather more concerned about the Democrats openly, publicly and repeatedly returning to an old vision as to the purpose of the FBI that we're instead supposed to pretend died with Hoover. Especially considering how it's quite a bipartisan one. Also, how many of these Senators were involved in that brilliant oversight of the NSA/CIA recently.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24361 on: September 23, 2018, 11:55:11 PM »
I'm rather more concerned about the Democrats openly, publicly and repeatedly returning to an old vision as to the purpose of the FBI that we're instead supposed to pretend died with Hoover. Especially considering how it's quite a bipartisan one. Also, how many of these Senators were involved in that brilliant oversight of the NSA/CIA recently.

lmao

benjipwns

« Reply #24362 on: September 24, 2018, 12:00:46 AM »
austy libs triggered again

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #24363 on: September 24, 2018, 12:06:16 AM »
Remember that time he ripped on every black person at ESPN as a phony after getting dismissed, then came back to pitch them "literally BLACK GRANTLAND" and they said sure. And it was a glorious success. :rejoice

The Deadspin story on Whitlock's leadership of The Undefeated was glorious

https://deadspin.com/how-jason-whitlock-is-poisoning-espns-black-grantland-1698683962

kingv

« Reply #24364 on: September 24, 2018, 12:06:41 AM »
But the most they can do is just add the accusations and everything else publicly known to the background check report. They can't "investigate" it as if it were a criminal case or come to any conclusions or make any judgments as to criminality or let alone as to what happened. Which is what many of these people seem to be demanding to me.

The Senate has subpoena powers to call the various named witnesses if they want them under oath to testify that they don't remember as they told the media. Then hold them in contempt and hit them with perjury for not shutting up and stepping up. I really don't think the FBI would ever want to get close to something like that in a background check.

They did an additional investigation into Anita Hill’s allegations prior to concluding Clarence Thomas’s nomination process.

The investigation I think was inconclusive, because there weren’t really any witnesses, but it’s not a new idea or without precedent.

What I think they can do is establish if the people knew each other, establish each person’s story, and present it in one place. That’s not really available today. It’s just a mishmash of talking points (by design, imo).

benjipwns

« Reply #24365 on: September 24, 2018, 12:20:23 AM »
The FBI's "investigation" of Anita Hill and Clarence Thomas was interviewing both of them and then giving those to the committee. Who then went and questioned both of them publicly about it anyway.

kingv

« Reply #24366 on: September 24, 2018, 12:29:21 AM »
I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad idea to have somebody interview them specifically to establish the facts as best they can be before the political grandstanding investigation that will be about everything but the facts.

Like what is Kavanaughs actual defense st this point?  He says the party never happened, while people directly connected to him say it was either a misunderstanding or mistaken identity. Whelan’s involvement also deserves investigation to understand 1) how he knew who she was before the information was public 2) how that BS mistaken identity story came to be.

Those details imo, are important to understand exactly what is going on. If Whelan heard this chicks name from a Kavanaugh that would seem to suggest that he knew exactly what the allegations were before they were published.

That Mark Judge dude should probably be interviewed, and friends of both can establish that the two knew each other and whether or not they ever hung out together.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24367 on: September 24, 2018, 12:44:41 AM »

It's hard to think of a more thorough demolition of someone.

I followed Greg Howard on Twitter and noticed that he'd stopped posting, and deleted all his old tweets. Turns out he was on the Shitty Media Men list (this explains several social media disappearances, including Emmett Rensin).

benjipwns

« Reply #24368 on: September 24, 2018, 01:10:04 AM »
I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad idea to have somebody interview them specifically to establish the facts as best they can be before the political grandstanding investigation that will be about everything but the facts.
We're kinda weeks past that point.

Like what is Kavanaughs actual defense st this point?  He says the party never happened, while people directly connected to him say it was either a misunderstanding or mistaken identity. Whelan’s involvement also deserves investigation to understand 1) how he knew who she was before the information was public 2) how that BS mistaken identity story came to be.

Those details imo, are important to understand exactly what is going on. If Whelan heard this chicks name from a Kavanaugh that would seem to suggest that he knew exactly what the allegations were before they were published.

That Mark Judge dude should probably be interviewed, and friends of both can establish that the two knew each other and whether or not they ever hung out together.
This all just sounds insane to me. We form two special FBI task forces, one to investigate where a dope came up with the non-federal offense idea for his doppelganger theory aside from himself and the NOM-associated PR group (also behind the Swift Boat Veterans For Truth) that gave him the info, and then another to interview a tiny handful of people to give hearsay testimony about a non-federal offense from 35 years ago they didn't witness and in the end you'll have...her initially anonymous accusation (until someone helpfully "leaked" her name to the press almost immediately) and his denial. And the Committee will question him about it, and he'll deny it. And then they'll pass him onto the Senate on a party line vote.

If she can't or doesn't want to convince the GOP of her claims, what makes you think the FBI re-reporting "these are her claims, he denies them" is going to change their minds?

This really isn't something the FBI should be bothered with, all of your questions and any others (including further accusations) that come up in the future can be done without sticking the FBI into any of this. They should stick to federal crime investigations not writing summaries for the Senate on decades old semi-vague accusations with no evidence that aren't federal offenses or within FBI jurisdiction; things that are not only already all public at this point but that the Senate already knows and at least one member has known for months now.

Just because the FBI handled background check paperwork, and/or contracted them out, doesn't mean they're the proper investigative body for anything here.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24369 on: September 24, 2018, 01:19:58 AM »
decades old semi-vague accusations with no evidence

ah

kingv

« Reply #24370 on: September 24, 2018, 01:22:01 AM »
The fbi is absolutely the right place to do it.

The Senate probably can’t even do it well or in a non-partisan way.

The FBI is the closest thing to a neutral arbiter untouched by political influence.

More importantly they do the background checks for all federal court nominees. This would seem to be part of Kavanaughs background.

And were not weeks past anything. I would not be shocked to find out Kavanaugh withdraws tomorrow or Tuesday. If he doesn’t we will have another absolutely insane hearing.

benjipwns

« Reply #24371 on: September 24, 2018, 01:34:23 AM »
Let me try to be a little more clear here before anyone else responds to my drivel. So if anyone did/does, my fault.

My political take: the GOP isn't going to pass up an opportunity like this, especially when they could lose their already thin majority next year...so ultimately
My "accusations" take: Ford's are a little vague but I don't particularly care about them or really whether any kind of claims against Kavanaugh are true or not in terms of it having any impact on the above and below
My hysteria take: keep the FBI and its powers and process the hell away from this kind of simple partisan politics (and probably doubly fucking no to some kind of "they should regularly be investigating based on partisan politics to see if there were any federal offenses committed" counterproposal unless you know)

Maybe that will help with the seemingly regular confusion I have that always seems to head straight for the weeds.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Which is the best indicator that the problem is me and I shouldn't play in waters I clearly can't handle and are grossly underinformed as to the depth.
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #24372 on: September 24, 2018, 01:42:42 AM »

The FBI is the closest thing to a neutral arbiter untouched by political influence.

More importantly they do the background checks for all federal court nominees. This would seem to be part of Kavanaughs background.
Again, all the FBI can do here is interview her and him and say "this accusation was made against him in 2018, he denies it" which adds nothing to what the Senate already knows. And the public.

The FBI wasn't going to find an accusation never made in its six background checks. It doesn't become their investigative duty because they processed a background check to investigate this or anything else involving Kavanaugh as if it were a federal crime simply because it was requested to be done so. Especially to either issue some kind of summary report or worse to serve partisan political means. This is way too broad of an expansion of their powers. And also the powers of the President or individual members of Congress.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #24373 on: September 24, 2018, 03:39:51 AM »
I bet benji also thinks the FBI shouldn't have wiretapped the Trump campaign
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #24374 on: September 24, 2018, 03:49:49 AM »
In an email to Mike Davis, the chief counsel for nominations for the Senate Judiciary Committee, Avenatti said he had evidence that at house parties in the early 1980s, Kavanaugh, his friend Mark Judge, and others plied women with alcohol and drugs "in order to allow a 'train' of men to subsequently gang rape them."
if the Republicans really nominated a serial rapist I'm going to lol
每天生气

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #24375 on: September 24, 2018, 04:23:17 AM »
It's not funny that a serial rapist will be occupying a political office that masquerades as an independent judiciary for life.

shosta

« Reply #24376 on: September 24, 2018, 04:24:48 AM »
Yes it is!
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #24377 on: September 24, 2018, 04:36:55 AM »
Not as funny as Jason Whitlock as a Supreme Court Justice.

benjipwns

« Reply #24378 on: September 24, 2018, 04:47:45 AM »

kingv

« Reply #24379 on: September 24, 2018, 08:54:03 AM »

Again, all the FBI can do here is interview her and him and say "this accusation was made against him in 2018, he denies it" which adds nothing to what the Senate already knows. And the public.

The FBI wasn't going to find an accusation never made in its six background checks. It doesn't become their investigative duty because they processed a background check to investigate this or anything else involving Kavanaugh as if it were a federal crime simply because it was requested to be done so. Especially to either issue some kind of summary report or worse to serve partisan political means. This is way too broad of an expansion of their powers. And also the powers of the President or individual members of Congress.

It’s not an expansion. They have done it before. I could say that talking to people about the person is arguably part of their background check. Like, when you get a background check for a clearance they actually interview people you know I have been interviewed many times for friends applying for clearance. Then depending on what type of clearance you are going for, they will actually try to identify people that you probably know that you didn’t list on your SF-86. They even give polygraphs for certain programs. It seems reasonable to do the same for a Supreme Court nominee. In my view, this is nothing the government doesn’t already do literally 10k+ annually for federal job seekers, and people renewing clearances.

The above examples are not handled by the FBI, but like the US Background Investigation department (or something like that). Maybe there’s an argument that they should also handle background investigations for federal judicial nominees, however, the FBI serves that role today.

I agree all they would do is interview Kavanaugh, his accusers, and other related parties and issue a summary of what everybody said. Senate testimony is a terrible format for doing that kind of summary work. When the Senate or House has issued these types of fact-based reports it has historically taken months to put everything together, write the report, and issue it.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #24380 on: September 24, 2018, 08:58:09 AM »
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/09/24/democrats-weaponize-judiciary-220530

Why did Democrats do this to the sanctity of our courts? *wrings hands*
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #24381 on: September 24, 2018, 09:19:07 AM »
Imagine if Republicans tried to fight Obamacare through the courts!

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #24382 on: September 24, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »
Rosenstein is either resigning or getting fired today, it seems.
püp

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #24383 on: September 24, 2018, 11:06:37 AM »

Good
:O

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #24384 on: September 24, 2018, 11:12:11 AM »
 :doge

why is that good
püp

kingv

« Reply #24385 on: September 24, 2018, 11:44:03 AM »
I believe James  is a trumper.

There was something he said earlier that made me think that might be the case.

shosta

« Reply #24386 on: September 24, 2018, 11:56:03 AM »
:doge

why is that good
because now he can spend more time with his family! :)
每天生气

Mollys Fruity Loops

« Reply #24387 on: September 24, 2018, 11:57:45 AM »
RESIS

james

« Reply #24388 on: September 24, 2018, 12:01:14 PM »
I believe James  is a trumper.

There was something he said earlier that made me think that might be the case.

You have my confused with Benji

kingv

« Reply #24389 on: September 24, 2018, 12:41:16 PM »
Benji is actually anti-everything.... but pro-fuckery.

Edit: looks like Kavanaugh accusers are up to four now. The Ford chick, the dick to the dome-piece chick, Avenatti’s gangbang chick, and somebody who made a criminal complaint in Maryland.... last two conceivably could be the same person.

agrajag

« Reply #24390 on: September 24, 2018, 12:42:08 PM »
Benji is that post irony thing Etoilet warned us about.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24391 on: September 24, 2018, 01:35:24 PM »

Looks like nothing's being decided today and that Trump and Rosenstein will hold a meeting on Thursday.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #24392 on: September 24, 2018, 01:45:24 PM »
I bet benji also thinks the FBI shouldn't have wiretapped the Trump campaign
They shouldn't have.

Why you ask? Because if they didn't get to Trump before he was elected POTUS what chance would they have pinning him on something after the election?
In office Trump could fire and appoint whoever he wanted. They were kinda lucky that his transition team was a complete mess. 

Plus without the FISA warrants half of the dozens of names of CIA/FBI/DOJ bigwigs wouldn't have been involved and thus would've been independent bystanders.
As of now basically all of them are tangled up in the same web and all they got was a lousy book deal. Because clearly spying on the Trump campaign didn't give them any sort of evidence or case to prosecute.
They ended up raiding Cohen's and Manaforts offices for stuff not even remotely related to the campaign anyway.

And now Rosenstein's head is on a platter and Rosenstein is the key to Mueller.
https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1044272257248448512

Jokingly plotting a coup might've seemed a good idea at the time but at this point there's no reason for Trump not to fire Rosenstein and even though Sessions 'recused' himself from the Russia thing...
He can hardly tell Trump he can't fire Rosenstein who according to the NYT offered to wear a wire to invoke the 25th. As was written in McGabe memos property of the FBI and Mueller's team.
Especially because after it 'leaked' he was quick to say he didn't make those comments and he didn't see a reason why the President should be removed.

All they can hope for is that Trump somehow fumbles this 'gift' that has been thrown onto his lap.
But throughout this episode most of these people have been acting like third rate 'The Apprentice' contestants undermining each other, leaking for petty revenge or simply dropping the ball.
🤴

shosta

« Reply #24393 on: September 24, 2018, 01:47:30 PM »
If I knew I was going to get a Nintex response I wouldn't have posted
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #24394 on: September 24, 2018, 01:53:55 PM »
So the stuff that protects Mueller's investigation is still 'pending' in Congress and depending on Republican votes.
https://twitter.com/RepPerlmutter/status/1044273889461882881
 :trumps
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #24395 on: September 24, 2018, 02:02:43 PM »
Repubs are playing with fire. They don't want a Constitutional crisis right before the midterms, they have enough on their plate trying to navigate the Kava-nyah confirmation.

Boredfrom

« Reply #24396 on: September 24, 2018, 02:11:11 PM »
Is interesting how it changed from resign, to fired to “wait until Thursday”. Feels like they really wanted to paint this in certain way until they couldn’t, rather than feeding misinformation

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #24397 on: September 24, 2018, 02:13:13 PM »
Rudy Giuliani, President Trump’s lawyer and former New York City mayor, told The Daily Beast on Monday afternoon that he agrees with Sekulow’s call for a cessation of the investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller, in the event of Rosenstein’s ouster—which was reported to be near as of Monday morning.
ResetEra better prepare their riot gear. He's crossing the red line.

:trumps
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #24398 on: September 24, 2018, 02:20:34 PM »
Trunp has to consult with his chief advisor Sran Hannity before making his final decision.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #24399 on: September 24, 2018, 02:23:07 PM »
Trump: "Rudy, you're my lawyer what should I do?"

Rudy: "Well there's two things you can do. You can fire the guy who's investigatin' you or you can launch a war with Iran."

Trump: "Why can't I do both?"

Rudy: "You'll need the troops at home hehehehehehe"
🤴

james

« Reply #24400 on: September 24, 2018, 02:43:04 PM »
Is interesting how it changed from resign, to fired to “wait until Thursday”. Feels like they really wanted to paint this in certain way until they couldn’t, rather than feeding misinformation

Fire him during the SCOTUS hearing?

Boredfrom

« Reply #24401 on: September 24, 2018, 02:50:42 PM »

Fire him during the SCOTUS hearing?

You are saying this like Trump has any idea about optics in a long term way.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

Kara

« Reply #24404 on: September 24, 2018, 03:30:36 PM »
Also, leper Nintex.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #24405 on: September 24, 2018, 03:43:03 PM »

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24406 on: September 24, 2018, 04:06:00 PM »
So expect Rosenstein to be fired over Twitter before or after the meeting, as per Trump's MO. Also, that original story seems to me to have come from Trump's camp to give him an excuse to get rid of Rosenstein.
 :hans1

agrajag

« Reply #24407 on: September 24, 2018, 04:21:02 PM »
Trump seems kind of cowardly. Has he ever fired someone in person before?

shosta

« Reply #24408 on: September 24, 2018, 04:30:20 PM »
reposting for kara since he's back: Seattle NPR sponsored by CIA
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #24409 on: September 24, 2018, 04:37:40 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #24410 on: September 24, 2018, 04:54:37 PM »
🤴

kingv

« Reply #24411 on: September 24, 2018, 05:09:02 PM »
His wife likes it when he fish hooks her

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #24412 on: September 24, 2018, 06:00:21 PM »
His wife likes it when he fish hooks her
she's just following her senpai hildawg  ::)

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #24413 on: September 24, 2018, 06:13:02 PM »
Remember that time he ripped on every black person at ESPN as a phony after getting dismissed, then came back to pitch them "literally BLACK GRANTLAND" and they said sure. And it was a glorious success. :rejoice

(Image removed from quote.)

https://deadspin.com/how-jason-whitlock-is-poisoning-espns-black-grantland-1698683962

the best part of this is how Stephen A Smith blew him off. you know you're a fuckin blowhard when even the guy who sat across the desk from Skip Bayless won't fuck with you

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24415 on: September 24, 2018, 06:35:13 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #24416 on: September 24, 2018, 06:40:32 PM »
The Kavanaugh case

- Here's lots of females who support him he was total hotness in college
- It didn't happen
- He doesn't remember it happened
- No one remembers anything
- This is just partisan politics
- His friends don't remember it happened
- It may have happened but it was someone else surely
- Her friends don't remember it happened
- Everyone raped in college at some point
- Had it happened she should've called the police
- It was supposed to be kept classified
- He was a virgin
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:49:12 PM by Nintex »
🤴

agrajag

« Reply #24417 on: September 24, 2018, 06:45:54 PM »
If I was that other dude they tried to throw under the bus as the fall guy, I'd be lawyering up and taking those guys to the cleaners.

kingv

« Reply #24418 on: September 24, 2018, 07:20:07 PM »
How can you even be a Supreme Court Justice when you don’t fuck?

Kara

« Reply #24419 on: September 24, 2018, 09:29:04 PM »
reposting for kara since he's back: Seattle NPR sponsored by CIA

The military arm of the CIA at that.