Poll

Call it:

Worth the wait, worth the hype. Final Fantasy is saved.
6 (13.6%)
Flawed and hobbled together but a great game nonetheless.
5 (11.4%)
MGS V syndrome. Great gameplay, barely any story, barren open world, repetitive game design.
4 (9.1%)
Incoherent mess of gameplay, storytelling, and design. The most expensive turd the Japanese can squeeze out.
18 (40.9%)
Worse than FFXIII.
11 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Final Fantasy XV Official Thread of HD Towns and Bromantic Adventures  (Read 94432 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Final Fantasy XV Official Thread of HD Towns and Bromantic Adventures
« Reply #360 on: December 06, 2016, 10:01:56 AM »
So mad dude gotta ruin the experience for everyone. You really are -that- guy ROFL
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #361 on: December 06, 2016, 10:02:32 AM »
What did I spoil? That you go to other places mentioned in the game? OMG!

And of coarse you spend more hours in the the first few chapters. Chapters 9-12 are devoid of actual content.

Nothing I said you wouldn't see in a review. Here I thought we we're above Neogaf's spoiler culture.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #362 on: December 06, 2016, 10:05:31 AM »
S T A Y M A D N I G G A

You wasted TEN years of your life only to be disappointed by the end result. How does that revelation feel?
fat

Himu

« Reply #363 on: December 06, 2016, 10:07:05 AM »
Spoiler culture? I've been waiting for this game for ten years and some asshole spoiled me yesterday. You could have left it at "the second part sucks" instead of making specific details.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #364 on: December 06, 2016, 10:13:23 AM »
I forgot this is thebore where if you criticize a game the bore likes, you're mad, being cynical, or just an idiot. But when you defend a game they like you're just a special fellow. Better than neogaf?

I didn't waste 10 years of anything. I've liked FF games for a long time. I liked XIII and was on XIV from the beginning. Enjoying it's awesome dungeons. I wasn't even super excited about Versus initially because I don't like Kingdom Hearts.

And while I'm disappointed, it's not like I think the game is terrible. The first part is a really good and unique open world rpg. I even like Kingsglaive and found it to be a pretty exciting introduction to XV. Whats disappointing is that the 2nd half really takes a shit on all those promising things.

Being disappointed doesn't mean being mad regardless of whatever thebore thinks and since I actually like FF unlike most here, I'm sure future installments will be better.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #365 on: December 06, 2016, 10:15:07 AM »
Spoiler culture? I've been waiting for this game for ten years and some asshole spoiled me yesterday. You could have left it at "the second part sucks" instead of making specific details.
You mean the details that were shown in the numerous trailers? This is the definition of spoiler culture. I did'nt say anything about the story or what happens in it.

Himu

« Reply #366 on: December 06, 2016, 10:18:24 AM »
Only Demi is giving you shit for that and that's just Demi being Demi. Only wrath has beaten the game and you're the only other person who has gotten that far. You can criticize a game all you want. I'm sure many of us might even agree with you. I've pretty much already said the story is disjointed poopy so I'm not sure why I or others who have made similar observations won't agree. We just aren't that far yet and can't critique the game like you can in any lasting manner.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #367 on: December 06, 2016, 10:39:08 AM »
Only Demi is giving you shit for that and that's just Demi being Demi.

fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #368 on: December 06, 2016, 10:50:08 AM »
yesterday I yelled at Noctis' teammates for getting in my way too much in the ch3 dungeon. then they all disappeared for about 5 minutes. friends to the end my ass.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #369 on: December 06, 2016, 11:01:05 AM »
that's what you get for yelling at my boyfriend prompto
IYKYK

SantaC

« Reply #370 on: December 06, 2016, 11:19:10 AM »
FF12 fell apart 2nd half but the game was still good.

I am still at ch 3 btw. Ice dungeon was awesome.

Himu

« Reply #371 on: December 06, 2016, 11:22:55 AM »
Yup. SP FF stories have been hot :trash with bright spots since FFXII. FFX is the last FF with a great complete story. I expected this coming in after the development hell. No way is a game made of so many ideas going to weave a cohesive narrative. But the world and cast are fantastic so I don't really mind. Plus the world has room to be expanded upon in DLC so here's hoping.

XVI should strive for a great story first and foremost as the basic template for the game, FFVII and X style.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #372 on: December 06, 2016, 12:33:47 PM »
you know what actually sucks about this game? justice force five. how do you fuck up breakout that bad jfc. thankful you only need to play it once for the trophy.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #373 on: December 06, 2016, 12:38:09 PM »
I don't even understand Justice Force Five. Feels like a bad Arkanoid.

And wtf is King's Knight that they play?
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #374 on: December 06, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »
Its a mobile game

fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #375 on: December 06, 2016, 12:42:33 PM »
I'm assuming future dlc lol.

speaking of dlc i how they give more concrete details soon. the multiplayer could be cool. hope they work on bug fixes too.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #376 on: December 06, 2016, 12:43:21 PM »
oh right that spinoff isn't out yet.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #377 on: December 06, 2016, 12:57:27 PM »
i just can't see gladio playing a game like that
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #378 on: December 06, 2016, 01:14:29 PM »
If anyone would be a rare, it would be him
fat

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #379 on: December 06, 2016, 03:37:01 PM »
none of the final fantasy games have good stories, its about each set piece/area, progression and how each game excels at that.  X and VII were great.  XIII and VIII were terrible.

So far this one is pretty dope.
püp

Himu

« Reply #380 on: December 06, 2016, 04:22:56 PM »
I agree and disagree. I find this the most disjointed an FF story has ever been. That said I haven't done the story in hours. (23 hrs in, Ch 3). I think the only FF's with a worthwhile story are Tactics, 6, 7, and 10. Maybe 9. I think XV's world is amazing so far but forcing me to watch Kingsglaive is tacky. I love the war stuff but it feels completely separate from the game and Noctis comes as a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.

You can defend the games story in a "all FF stories suck" way but that doesn't change the fact Noctis treats his father like trash the last time he sees him even though as Prince he should know the weight of the situation (watch Kingsglaive basically).

There are good and bad in every FF but this is reminding me of flawed game stories of RPGs like Xenosaga 2 or Suikoden IV. Games with neat ideas but weird execution (I.e. If you didn't watch Kingsglaive, Luna's entrance to the game is weird, here I am walking along this dirt path, how did she get here? Why is she alone? Etc). I've played and beat every main FF and this game is over all the place on that front so far. Never mind the lack of build up. The game literally does not explain the way its world works, who the Empire is, or their relationship with the crown city and you have to watch a two hour movie to find out. The editing is also piss poor. Like the time the gang hangs out with Iris and she talks about the city and it shows this random footage from what happened and it could literally be flashing BUY KINGSGLAIVE BUY KINGSGLAIVE as footage from Kingsglaive shows up and it wouldn't feel out of place.

This is without mentioning that despite Noct's dad being murdered, their city smashed into absolute ruins by fucking DIAMOND WEAPON that they appear so aloof, so happy go lucky. The road trip motif is at odds with the revenge crown prince story. Iris is a refugee of a city smashed to pieces buy a giant Ultros, ships and dreadknoughts falling into buildings, a Diamond Weapon fucking shit up, imperial soldiers killing people without mercy. But let's go shopping Noct. I loooooove to shop here! Tee hee!

Final Fantasy stories have problems but they're never that bad, that disjointed. FF6, 7, and 10 have the common sense to introduce the world in a natural manner. When people of Kilika die and Yuna gives a dance, it's done in a somber tone and explains the weight of the action. In FFXV, Iris is a refugee, let's go shopping.

You can love the game but "lol every FF story sucks" is something I will not buy when it comes this game and I cannot not think that position is a crack of shit.

Still goty tho but after ff13 needing you a datalog to understand how the world works there's no excuse for them doing the same thing again. Really makes you appreciate the simplicity of 5, 6, 9, and 10.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:32:05 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

SantaC

« Reply #381 on: December 06, 2016, 04:53:14 PM »
I guess it is sad to say that the story of FFX is probably their best Final Fantasy story yet, lol.

Himu

« Reply #382 on: December 06, 2016, 05:17:09 PM »
It truly is. Yuna dancing, Tidus' development, Tidus' sacrifice, the kiss in Macalania, Auron's entire story, the high five, Yuna's ending speech.

7 is up there in my replay and 9 is pretty great so far and has held up.

I separate FF stories in characters categories:

A. Plot
B. World building
C. Overall story and themes
D. Characters

So far I think XV excels in A and D.
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #383 on: December 06, 2016, 05:51:31 PM »
The only worthwhile story in FFIX is Vivi's arc.

Himu

« Reply #384 on: December 06, 2016, 05:58:04 PM »
The only worthwhile story in FFIX is Vivi's arc.

I haven't beaten the replay yet. Going to go through it once I finish 7 and 8. And I like Steiner's arc.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #385 on: December 06, 2016, 08:00:06 PM »
Summons are basically cheating. Just completely eviscerated a Lvl 50 boss monster
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #386 on: December 06, 2016, 11:41:01 PM »
Just encountered a game breaking bug at Costlemark Tower dungeon. Apparently the boss sometimes wont drop the Royal Weapon, and you cant leave the arena, and if you try to go back shit just goes wonky.

Just lost like, 2 hours of progress on that shitty ass fucking dungeon. Ugh

https://account.xbox.com/en-us/gameclip/7abfb79e-a114-482a-82b0-d8ee1802b020?gamerTag=demi&scid=b5330100-8e41-4577-b8ed-4a547dba0981

Notice the quest doesnt update when I beat him, because he didnt give me the royal weapon.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 11:45:13 PM by demi »
fat

Himu

« Reply #387 on: December 06, 2016, 11:55:02 PM »
Thanks for the warning
IYKYK

Freyj

« Reply #388 on: December 07, 2016, 01:07:31 AM »
How high do these dog tag, frog, etc quests go?

I've got a dog tag quest that's probably level 38? I think I've been doing Duscae hunts and side quests for about 10 hours now.

SantaC

« Reply #389 on: December 07, 2016, 01:20:21 AM »
Summons are basically cheating. Just completely eviscerated a Lvl 50 boss monster

Finally summons are useful again

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #390 on: December 07, 2016, 10:21:23 AM »
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1322896

Final Bomba, XV only does a fraction of XIII's numbers in Nippon. Cup Noodles crying. :'(
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #391 on: December 07, 2016, 12:15:17 PM »

Final Bomba, XV only does a fraction of XIII's numbers in Nippon. Cup Noodles crying. :'(

They should have released it for mobile over there.  :doge 
ど助平

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #392 on: December 07, 2016, 12:29:16 PM »
Switch release will fix it  :doge
püp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #393 on: December 07, 2016, 01:29:18 PM »
No waifus.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #394 on: December 07, 2016, 01:51:23 PM »

not enough dates with iris

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #395 on: December 07, 2016, 02:10:37 PM »
No waifus.

Could be something.  I mean...seriously...isn't that Fate Grand Order mobile game basically WAIFU QUEST~ and making crazy revenue?
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #396 on: December 07, 2016, 02:37:03 PM »
It's mostly because FF has ruined it's name. Blaming market contraction alone is silly because there's not much of a difference between the amount of ps4s sold in Japan now compared to ps3s when FF13 came out. This can be blamed squarely on FF's poor name now combined with the high price (8800 yen!!!).

I think FF working on its name will help. Positive word of mouth for FFXV might help it have some legs.l compared XIII which was a dead fish - no legs at all. XIV ARR along with XV and VIIR together should help rebuild the FF name. FFVIIR has to be absolutely on point but the split up versions won't be helpful if they sell it at a high price. Then when SE releases XVI hopefully everything is in favor for it to do well.

I'm hoping Switch does gang busters in Japan and that they put XVI on Switch and PS4. The graphics won't be high end, so they'll have to go all out with art design, which they can do. And considering SE's ability to bring out the most of a systems potential, I wouldn't be worried about that at all.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:48:22 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #397 on: December 07, 2016, 02:45:16 PM »
No waifus.

Could be something.  I mean...seriously...isn't that Fate Grand Order mobile game basically WAIFU QUEST~ and making crazy revenue?

FF is not like other Japanese brands. They actually care about international success and perception. If they made it waifu quest they would lose interest world wide. I think they know that the answer is to put FF on a more viable platforms while also working on the FF brand name by putting out quality titles. At least I think they do. Here's hoping switch is massive in Japan. It'd really help out FF.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #398 on: December 07, 2016, 08:48:50 PM »
http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201612070039/

So they're updating the game, adding cutscenes, all kinds of stuff. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Should I keep playing?
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #399 on: December 07, 2016, 08:54:20 PM »
From what everyone has said, even people that really liked the game, the second half isn't too hot. Might be a good idea to wait a bit, but I'll probably just keep plugging away anyway. :yeshrug
dog

Himu

« Reply #400 on: December 07, 2016, 09:11:16 PM »
On the other hand the game will have a new game plus allowing you to go through the game with ease to see the new scenes. I'll continue to go through it so I can experience it myself and have an informed opinion on the second half pre patch.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #401 on: December 07, 2016, 09:22:52 PM »
http://na.square-enix.com/us/node/6935

We’re also examining readability tweaks - increasing font size

:rejoice
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #402 on: December 07, 2016, 09:31:43 PM »
Yes you should keep playing. As if whatever they add is going to revolutionize the game... rofl
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #403 on: December 07, 2016, 09:46:29 PM »
Aw yea, just fought a nice FF6 shoutout

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/EzOvC8DDFUA/maxresdefault.jpg
fat

bluemax

« Reply #404 on: December 07, 2016, 11:18:11 PM »
The Titan fight was hot garbage.
NO

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #405 on: December 07, 2016, 11:43:32 PM »
Definitely not
fat

bluemax

« Reply #406 on: December 08, 2016, 12:05:10 AM »
Definitely not

The concept was cool, the camera was not.
NO

Himu

« Reply #407 on: December 08, 2016, 12:54:10 AM »
Level 25-26, 27 hours in, chapter 3.

Gonna do the story going forward because I'm getting tired of the lame mmo quests.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #408 on: December 08, 2016, 02:29:42 AM »
Finished the game at around 30 hours tonight.

The story is poorly told and the 2nd half is kind of bad, except for a few bright spots.

But the road travel part, main characters, and world is enduring.

Good game, not great. Middle of the road as far as FF games go, but still impactful. It proves how amazing this series really is.

SantaC

« Reply #409 on: December 08, 2016, 05:01:09 AM »
man i stumbled onto crestholm channels, what a dungeon!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #410 on: December 08, 2016, 07:58:28 AM »
Just sold all the preorder DLC I had for $100 LUL
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #411 on: December 08, 2016, 08:46:21 AM »

I had no issues with the second half, I know I'm somewhat in the minority when it comes to it. I understood a lot of stuff in the story pretty easily. They name drop Ravus but it wasn't that hard to figure out what he was doing IMO.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
So you had no issues with the game shuffling you through areas without actually visiting them? Truncating an entire continent? An overly long stealth chapter. I mean I guess, I don't think people have a hard problem understanding the story. More like they just find the story undercooked and lacking in actually presenting itself. A real show don't tell case.

Quite frankly I don't know how you figured out what he was doing seeing as how the game couldn't be consistent with him. He goes from believing in Luna, thinking she's worng, hating Noctis, Liking Notctis, wanting to help Noctis,  then repeating the whole thing. Hell, the two letters you find at his dead body run counter. One believes in helping Luna and then one believes she's insane for helping Noctis. Just like the two pairs of cutscenes you see at Tenabre. Then it doesn't matter because his character has no real role and then dies.
[close]

SantaC

« Reply #412 on: December 08, 2016, 11:30:36 AM »
Is there a trick to get summons trigger more often?

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #413 on: December 08, 2016, 12:05:45 PM »
Most of them are based around you having trouble in combat. So suck more...

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #414 on: December 08, 2016, 12:16:15 PM »
Most of them are based around you having trouble in combat. So suck more...

Should be no trouble for me. :rejoice
©@©™

« Reply #415 on: December 08, 2016, 03:35:50 PM »
On chapter three with my guys at level 17. I'm enjoying the game but man do I get slaughtered by Magitek soldiers whenever they drop in on me out in the wild. End up blowing through potions and elixirs like it's nohting before limping away.
野球

SantaC

« Reply #416 on: December 08, 2016, 03:56:37 PM »
On chapter three with my guys at level 17. I'm enjoying the game but man do I get slaughtered by Magitek soldiers whenever they drop in on me out in the wild. End up blowing through potions and elixirs like it's nohting before limping away.
save up 50K experience from quests and then sleep at 2.0 exp place. You'll gain 15 levels right away.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #417 on: December 08, 2016, 08:36:40 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I like XV. The combat was good as it was always frenetic(sometimes a bit out of control and cheap though), the main party(squad goals), and the overall road trip angle.

I just wish the story had more meat and honestly a better cinematic flair to it. Also that the 2nd half was better paced and more exploreable.

I'd probably akin it to Xenoblade Chronicles X. A game where I simply enjoyed running around and fighting. There the story did'nt bother me because it was simply whatever.

Here though, I do think the actual main characters are enjoyable and plot promising. It's just missing stuff. Maybe when they are done adding and making changes it will be better. Right now I think it's a highly interesting and worthwhile, but somewhat of a mess of a game. It does feel very unique though.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #418 on: December 10, 2016, 10:01:21 AM »
That first fucking chocobo sidequest has a shitty bug if you end up continuing along the path in which you fight behemoth
püp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #419 on: December 10, 2016, 10:03:37 AM »
you mean after you beat the boss? what happened?
pcp