Author Topic: Holy Shit Death Stranding is beautiful nonsense  (Read 102598 times)

kingv

Re: Holy Shit Death Stranding is beautiful nonsense
« Reply #540 on: November 09, 2019, 02:09:57 AM »
They are super on the nose. The entire game is super on the nose.

But then again, so is every other kojima game.

kingv

« Reply #541 on: November 09, 2019, 02:14:02 AM »
Knots is clearly a reference to dog knots.

kingv

« Reply #542 on: November 09, 2019, 03:06:39 AM »
They should have made it so you could rip cigs while chugging monster

bluemax

« Reply #543 on: November 09, 2019, 03:23:24 AM »
3.5 hours, still feels like I'm in tutorial land.
NO

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #544 on: November 09, 2019, 04:22:47 AM »
I don't know about how well this engine lends itself to modability or anything but the PC version of this could turn out to be very interesting depending on what people can get their hands on. I could see like a year from now a bunch of websites doing "the PC version of Death Stranding has become totally crazy" articles. And Giant Bomb doing a video where Jeff is loving it all.
Look at RE2Remake, it's gonna be all stripper costumes and nude mods.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #545 on: November 09, 2019, 04:25:40 AM »
I don't know about how well this engine lends itself to modability or anything but the PC version of this could turn out to be very interesting depending on what people can get their hands on. I could see like a year from now a bunch of websites doing "the PC version of Death Stranding has become totally crazy" articles. And Giant Bomb doing a video where Jeff is loving it all.
Look at RE2Remake, it's gonna be all stripper costumes and nude mods.

I’ve held off on playing RE2 until I can upgrade my pc, I refuse to play that game without the DMX mod for Mr. X.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #546 on: November 09, 2019, 04:27:34 AM »
Knots is clearly a reference to dog knots.

No man, it's like knots in a web of strands, dude. Like world wide web, man. Go die in a fire Kojima.

Death Stranding Pro-tip:  Get that Star Wars game instead.

kingv

« Reply #547 on: November 09, 2019, 04:42:52 AM »
So, I played about 4 hours tonight and I kind of like it so far.

In typical Kojima fashion it has interesting themes but hits you over the head with them.

Kojima is often/sometimes accused of putting meta-themes into his games that are less explicitly stated.

I have a friend that swears up and down that he thinks kojima left MGS V partially finished on purpose to leave the players, MGS fans, and Konami with a phantom pain.

Thematic spoilers, minor plot points:
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I used to think he was crazy, but now I’m not so sure because this has unstated themes that are much more obviously done. I think this game might be repetitive on purpose, and the tasks are menial and too numerous also on purpose, and you seldom interact with NPCs on purpose. It’s obviously a commentary on modern society.

This seems to also be a (pretty obvious) meta-commentary on modern game design it’s like some sort of Ubisoft game taken to its logical conclusion and you’re supposed to ask yourself why you are still playing a game that is wasting your time. The MULES are players of modern games, just going from one fetch quest to the next, for no obvious.
[close]

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #548 on: November 09, 2019, 04:45:24 AM »

I used to think he was crazy, but now I’m not so sure because this has unstated themes that are much more obviously done. I think this game might be repetitive on purpose, and the tasks are menial and too numerous also on purpose, and you seldom interact with NPCs on purpose. It’s obviously a commentary on modern society.

This seems to also be a (pretty obvious) meta-commentary on modern game design it’s like some sort of Ubisoft game taken to its logical conclusion and you’re supposed to ask yourself why you are still playing a game that is wasting your time. The MULES are players of modern games, just going from one fetch quest to the next, for no obvious.
[close]

Second part of your spoiler is literally what the first No More Heroes did. "No exit to paradise."

Coffee Dog

« Reply #549 on: November 09, 2019, 05:41:40 AM »
I'm enjoying myself at a little over the 3 hour mark. I like moving packages through the rain, I like all the physics stuff. At the very least, so far I've constantly been engaged in the decision making of where to distribute weight, what packages to take and what to leave, how risky I plan on being on the walk over, etc. It's a slow and involved game, and the consequences for fucking up are severe. And that's given me more than I could get out of some generic crap like Outer Worlds or the new star wars hack and slash.

However.

This script is, even for Kojima standards, very very stupid and clunky. Hearing such high quality actors dish out totally out of place exposition dumps filled with pointless terminology, giving a sixth grader's ruminations on the word *strand*, and straightforward anime writing complete with japanese mannerisms, pausing and repetetive pronunciations never ceases to make you question the point of it all.

Depending on how this pans out it could either be slightly better or worse than MGS4, but it's so wordy it definitely cant get good.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 05:48:43 AM by Coffee Dog »

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #550 on: November 09, 2019, 09:10:22 AM »
I'm fully expecting the people enjoying this to get burnt out by hour 10 or 20.

This is like a 30-50 hour game if I heard things correctly. We'll see how involved package delivery can get after 30 hours.
OH!

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #551 on: November 09, 2019, 10:01:52 AM »
I have a friend that swears up and down that he thinks kojima left MGS V partially finished on purpose to leave the players, MGS fans, and Konami with a phantom pain.
The fan-brain works in mysterious ways.

Svejk

« Reply #552 on: November 09, 2019, 10:56:45 AM »
I'll be honest.. I'm not exactly sure what I played last night.  But what I do know is that I stayed up til 5am fully engaged in constantly wanting to see what happens next.  I have to play more.  I'm certainly not blown away, but this is by all means not a bad game so far and I can't wait to play more.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #553 on: November 09, 2019, 10:59:16 AM »
I'm fully expecting the people enjoying this to get burnt out by hour 10 or 20.

Definitely interested in seeing how people feel about this after that long.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #554 on: November 09, 2019, 11:49:28 AM »
Can't wait to play this next summer when it pops up in a Humble Monthly bundle!  :hyper
dog

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #555 on: November 09, 2019, 12:08:59 PM »

In typical Kojima fashion it has interesting themes but hits you over the head with them.

Kojima is often/sometimes accused of putting meta-themes into his games that are less explicitly stated.

[close]
This is some Jon Blow tier commentary :lol
每天生气

Svejk

« Reply #556 on: November 09, 2019, 12:32:56 PM »
One thing I will say is actually really good about this game that isn't the visual design is the online component. Building bridges and putting ropes and ladders everywhere, changing up terrain into hiking trails the more people take the same path, and getting likes for all of it is really nice. The one thing about this game that's unique as far as I know and 100% good.
Traversing the landscape feels like an open world puzzle, every step I take has me constantly planning how to proceed and I love it so far.  As for the folks fussing about the Kojima cheesiness, I don't see what the problem here is.  It's classic Kojima campiness, sometimes laughable, nonsense...  people expecting his style to evolve, is pretty silly.  :lol
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 12:53:51 PM by Svejk »

kingv

« Reply #557 on: November 09, 2019, 12:55:37 PM »

[close]

Kojima brings out the best in me :miyamoto

I’m really enjoying it though. Pounding monsters, taking fat shits, pwning noobs.

Never peeing outside because it’s a waste of piss.

shosta

« Reply #558 on: November 09, 2019, 01:41:56 PM »
how many tig ass biddies are there?
每天生气

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #559 on: November 09, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »
I haven't seen a single one so far. Game needs more sexy cthulhus.

kingv

« Reply #560 on: November 09, 2019, 01:45:45 PM »

[close]

After a few more hours, I realize that the truth is soooo much worse and ok the nose than my fanboy theory.

This game so badly wants to be deep and meaningful. It’s awesome. Everybody should play it.

It’s MGS2 level social commentary except less subtle. And I am expecting one or two really painfully obvious twists.

kingv

« Reply #561 on: November 09, 2019, 01:46:30 PM »

No big naturals. One character looks uncannily like Gwyneth Paltrow though.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #562 on: November 09, 2019, 01:50:35 PM »
less subtle.

That doesn't go anywhere near far enough to describe the garbage in this game. It's fun to hateplay, and it's well-made. Worth the money with basically any mindset you go into it.

thetylerrob

« Reply #563 on: November 09, 2019, 02:02:56 PM »
I really don’t get the haters complaints yet and I’m about 12 hours in. I stayed up until 5am playing and I’m loving every minute so far. I feel like I’m discovering new things regularly enough that I’m always having fun, maybe I’ll get burnt out?

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #564 on: November 09, 2019, 02:06:43 PM »

Fragile?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #565 on: November 09, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
It probably has to do with how much you expect out of the gameplay. If you're just there to take in the views and enjoying the atmosphere it's pretty good.

shosta

« Reply #566 on: November 09, 2019, 02:18:36 PM »

Being disappointed about your breast size, 2019, colorized.
每天生气

thetylerrob

« Reply #567 on: November 09, 2019, 02:20:05 PM »
I expected the gameplay to be boring but that hasn’t been my experience at all, I’ve been having tons of fun just making cool pathways out of ladders and I like how often I’ve had to think on my feet based on the rain/enemy delivery guys/bt stealth segments. The story bits so far have been more underwhelming to me but that’s because I’ve been spoiled on most of the early game stuff.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #568 on: November 09, 2019, 03:07:08 PM »
::)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #569 on: November 09, 2019, 03:09:41 PM »
Dan nabbed two of those drink babies as souvenirs.

kingv

« Reply #570 on: November 09, 2019, 03:57:34 PM »

Fragile?

I was thinking amelie actually.

She just really reminds me of her

kingv

« Reply #571 on: November 09, 2019, 04:06:38 PM »
I expected the gameplay to be boring but that hasn’t been my experience at all, I’ve been having tons of fun just making cool pathways out of ladders and I like how often I’ve had to think on my feet based on the rain/enemy delivery guys/bt stealth segments. The story bits so far have been more underwhelming to me but that’s because I’ve been spoiled on most of the early game stuff.

I’m with you. I don’t really get the bad reviews.

It’s fun and I have never really played anything like it. I will probably never want to play a similar game ever, but so far I like it more than MGS V.

bluemax

« Reply #572 on: November 09, 2019, 04:13:41 PM »
Escaping from the BTs is legit terrifying and exhausting. And I can see myself getting annoyed with how much effort it takes the more it happens. It definitely feels like a horror game at those points though.

There's clearly a lot of genre cross over inspiration in this game, it just feels so tonally inconsistent. Just like the dialogue and story. None of the commentary is subtle, like your character having a fear of being touched, which he gained from being over exposed to the chirals and by being out and away from humanity so long.

All the reviewers who said it feels like the writers just regurgitated Wikipedia pages are spot on.

And I agree with the point that the whole over the top Japanese anime style of the writing just doesn't work for this game. Like we tolerated/pretended we liked it in MGS because we were young and dumb or whatever, but now it just makes everything feel off.
NO

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #573 on: November 09, 2019, 06:16:29 PM »
Now that this is a known quantity, it’s completely uninteresting to me. Even knowing the general variety of the wacky isn’t enough to keep me going. It’s not novel enough to string me along all by its lonesome.
serge

bluemax

« Reply #574 on: November 09, 2019, 07:54:30 PM »
Escaping from the BTs is legit terrifying and exhausting. And I can see myself getting annoyed with how much effort it takes the more it happens. It definitely feels like a horror game at those points though.

They're way too easy to be honest. I thought it would be interesting in the beginning but you literally just crouch and walk, hold your breath when that shit starts spinning and glowing orange.

Later it's made even easier because you get the ability to stealth kill BT's.

I guess I've been fucking up too much and getting caught. But it has only been twice. The rain is more annoying because there's never any cover when it starts. Maybe this changes later.

I'm about 10 hours in and still on chapter 2. The game also doesn't feel very "open". Like yeah I can take on side quests but with all the dumb mechanics in this game it feels like it makes sense to only take quests and items that are supposed to go the same place you are going for the next story quest. Exploring the world seems like a terribly un fun idea and the only stuff I go out of my way to get right now are the USB drives for Deadman. I do have access to my first vehicle and it sure helps a lot, I am also not looking forward to trying to complete very many of these fucking timed deliveries.

Why has Monster (TM) brand energy drink lasted into the future and how did it do so without a logo or packaging change?

I ran into Geoff Keighley. It really does feel like almost everything they showed except the last trailer is from the early parts of the game, which I guess is nice?

I'm about to head out for the night, and I think I gotta return this to Redbox mid day tomorrow, so I might have played all I'm going to for the weekend.
NO

shosta

每天生气

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

BisMarckie

« Reply #577 on: November 09, 2019, 08:58:46 PM »
Playing Death Stranding got me in the mood of playing Euro Truck Simulator 2.
Spent my night driving through Eastern Europe and listening to Slovakian radio  :doge

TVC15

« Reply #578 on: November 09, 2019, 09:05:40 PM »
OK, I fully swung around to calling Death Stranding a good videogame. I enjoy it too much to pretend I think otherwise. Here's some shit I just got through that helped solidify this as stupid kojima bullshit I enjoy with a fun gameplay loop:

In between Del Torogetting pissed on by a baby making Norman Reedus think he’s going to rape him in the shower for a second before spilling the beans, blue is the warmest color having a granny body but barely legal face, two twins having a ghost kid then merging as one, zip lining everywhere and stealthily cutting gold lion umbilical cords I’m just going to say Death Stranding is a good video game.

There’s also the Iron Maiden album cover for the Madds boss fight, and three cut scenes being the most unintentional hilarity ever because a poor, poor Japanese actress was put in a position to have a long monologue on love. Only for it to lead to that asexual transcript I posted earlier AND them e-mailing after that they’re getting a divorce
[close]

Kojima is a massive idiot and I wouldn’t have it any other way

Salience: “That sounds great! You should at least watch the cutscenes on YouTube, TVC.”

Logic: “That’s still going to be like 10+ hours of your time, dude.”

Me: Back to Disco Elysium.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #579 on: November 09, 2019, 09:52:23 PM »
Pretty much all good games that came out this year are better than this so I don't blame ya. But since I'm a loser who already played all of them and doesn't have anything that can run Disco Elysium (I know :'( ) I'm seeing this stupidity to the end.

I just got a new gaming laptop so I’m going to be indulging in some PC snobbery in general for a few days anyway. Death Stranding couldn’t have held my attention even if it weren’t objectively the worst game Kojima has ever been involved with, including agreed-upon mediocrities like Snatcher, Policenauts ZoE,, and Boktai.
serge

Rman

« Reply #580 on: November 09, 2019, 09:52:54 PM »
So I bought this. I gave Kojima a chance since I've enjoyed the MGS series.  But boy is this game just bad.  Definitely not for me.

Tons of boring systems
Fetch quests galore
Boring, lifeless world
Encumbrance and repair mechanics are incredibly tedious.

It's cool that this game exists per se. I like more diversity in the AAA space, but really? I'm not seeing the appeal with this game.

It is pretty. Has a great soundtrack. But that's it. 

Honestly, I just want to watch all the cutscenes on YT or something lol.

I guess if you love fetching shite, this game is great.  I'm not understanding the "fun" here.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:03:20 PM by Rman »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #581 on: November 09, 2019, 10:39:54 PM »
Did you even read any of the reviews&impressions? Lol, people have been describing it as delivery man simulator for weeks now.  :lol

Anyway, i'm really excited to try it out, since it seems up my alley, but i'm waiting for it to go down in price.
I figured a lot of Kojima drones are gonna buy this thinking it's another MGS, and trade it in quickly after, just gotta be there waiting at the gate.  :-*

Rman

« Reply #582 on: November 09, 2019, 11:05:31 PM »
Did you even read any of the reviews&impressions? Lol, people have been describing it as delivery man simulator for weeks now.  :lol

Anyway, i'm really excited to try it out, since it seems up my alley, but i'm waiting for it to go down in price.
I figured a lot of Kojima drones are gonna buy this thinking it's another MGS, and trade it in quickly after, just gotta be there waiting at the gate.  :-*
I did. But I gave Hideo the benefit of the doubt.

shosta

« Reply #583 on: November 09, 2019, 11:24:24 PM »
It's cool that this game exists per se.
I love this veiled non-endorsement :lol
每天生气

TVC15

« Reply #584 on: November 10, 2019, 12:04:52 AM »
How many people could have gone through medical school for the development cost of this pointless, unenjoyable game? Kojima could have saved perhaps thousands of human lives instead of wasting the money on an exploitative exploitation simulator.
serge

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #585 on: November 10, 2019, 12:07:15 AM »
How many people could have gone through medical school for the development cost of this pointless, unenjoyable game? Kojima could have saved perhaps thousands of human lives instead of wasting the money on an exploitative exploitation simulator.

The beauty of the auteur

You watch Too Old to Die Young yet?
:9

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #586 on: November 10, 2019, 12:31:40 AM »

The beauty of the auteur

Make sense, since Kojima's in it, and Refn's in this game.  :lol

Although TOTDY is mostly bad, i agree with Rman that certain ideas should be explored regardless.
Or stop complaining about "muh Ubisoft Towers".

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #587 on: November 10, 2019, 01:28:48 AM »

The beauty of the auteur

Although TOTDY is mostly bad, i agree with Rman that certain ideas should be explored regardless.

I loved Too Young to Die Young but I loved it for it's far too missing highs. Appreciating what it reached for as it failed in its entirety. Fuck striving for mediocrity. Give me failure in pursuit of more.
:9

TVC15

« Reply #588 on: November 10, 2019, 03:31:13 AM »
I liked the first ep of TOTDY but it lost my interest by the third or so. Still liked it better than most Refn stuff. He’s sub-Kojima in output quality, but possibly in the same neighborhood of weirdness, minus the humor.
serge

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #589 on: November 10, 2019, 04:56:07 AM »

The beauty of the auteur

I thought you were kidding, but he apparently has a recurring role in that. WTF. The folks that were like "why the fuck is Kojima flying everywhere!?" during development have a major valid gripe now.

Rman

« Reply #590 on: November 10, 2019, 08:29:45 AM »
Really, the only thing keeping me going is the kookey cutscenes.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #591 on: November 10, 2019, 08:37:15 AM »

The beauty of the auteur

I thought you were kidding, but he apparently has a recurring role in that. WTF. The folks that were like "why the fuck is Kojima flying everywhere!?" during development have a major valid gripe now.
Nah, he's a cameo in one episode, this is his only scene:

shosta

« Reply #592 on: November 10, 2019, 11:57:26 AM »

"Is this all there is?"
每天生气

kingv

« Reply #593 on: November 10, 2019, 12:16:35 PM »
I was genuinely surprised how easy the first boss was. I know people said it was easy but... not only did it not hit me, it didn’t even really ever TRY to hit me.

It mostly just stood there menacingly

TVC15

« Reply #594 on: November 10, 2019, 12:22:37 PM »

The beauty of the auteur

Everything except the set and the lighting is sub-pornographic in quality.
serge

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #595 on: November 10, 2019, 03:02:52 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

"Is this all there is?"

UPS employee on his way to Bork's house, circa 2019

bluemax

« Reply #596 on: November 10, 2019, 03:24:11 PM »
My final moment before ejecting the disc and taking the game back to RedBox. Trying to drive my motorcycle over a steep hill on my way to Port city, rain starts, black ooze comes out of the ground, motorcycle useless, my cargo goes everywhere.

I rage quit.
NO

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #597 on: November 10, 2019, 03:55:36 PM »
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

« Reply #598 on: November 10, 2019, 03:57:57 PM »
https://twitter.com/atPeteDodd/status/1193278124726861826

I thought he was British? The fuck is this Boston Celtics fanboy shit?

My final moment before ejecting the disc and taking the game back to RedBox. Trying to drive my motorcycle over a steep hill on my way to Port city, rain starts, black ooze comes out of the ground, motorcycle useless, my cargo goes everywhere.

I rage quit.

Pussy. Real Fed-Ex men would've gotten off the motorcycle, gotten the cargo and then waited for the rain to stop.

thisismyusername

« Reply #599 on: November 10, 2019, 04:02:35 PM »

The beauty of the auteur

That explains the one sword picture we saw back in the day, I guess.

But still: A lot of folks were going "why the fuck is Kojima flying to France/Europe, Russia, etc. etc. during development of Death Stranding? Is Sony bank-rolling his extended vacation?"

I guess the answer is now a resounding: YES.

Everything except the set and the lighting is sub-pornographic in quality.

That's Refn in general.

I don't get Kojima's fascination with Refn. He made one decent film (if you want to be nice) in Drive and everything else has been flops or people walking out (Only God Forgives). I don't get Gosling's attachment to him either. His head game but be strong to have them attached to him.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 04:07:07 PM by thisismyusername »