Author Topic: FFXIV  (Read 127158 times)

Bebpo

Re: FFXIV
« Reply #2340 on: February 06, 2021, 02:32:33 PM »
I see that this is on sale on PSN. Is it something that you can play through on your own or do you need other people?

You need to play with other people but it has extremely good match-making and you don't have to talk with anyone. Also for the story, you'll spend 95% of the storyline doing single player quests. There is an MP dungeon or MP boss fight every level or two. The endgame stuff and optional content is more MP stuff, less single player questing.

I used to be social for a couple years on it, but the last few years I didn't do much besides saying "Hello \o/" at the start of MP stuff. They really made FF14 the MMO for people who don't want to socialize with other people or arrange time to work with other people. I could never play FF11 because you had to actually look for parties and talk to people and actually coordinate times. FF14 you just go on and play when you like for as long as you like.

It's also some of the best Final Fantasy games in the last decade. Each expansion is basically a full sized FF entry. The base game A Realm Reborn is...ok, the first expansion Heavensward is a great FF, the second expansion Stormblood is a very good FF, and the third expansion Shadowbringers is a great FF.
This sounds perfect for me. Thanks Bebpo.

Hope you enjoy it!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2341 on: February 06, 2021, 02:52:32 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #2342 on: February 06, 2021, 02:56:52 PM »
It is pretty funny how all the Sage moves are essentially Nu Gundam/Freedom Gundam funnel attacks. Funnel shielding is from Nu, Funnel beam blast is from Freedom, Funnels criss-crossing around shooting is from both.

I wouldn't play Sage though. I think aesthetically having wing funnels on a humanoid body with regular clothes looks kinda lame. Unless their AF gear is a mecha suit, I'm not interested.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2343 on: February 06, 2021, 03:11:32 PM »
I've leveled all the healers and honestly, the changes to Astro really hurt me. Changing the randomness of the cards really took out some of the challenges and on the fly thinking that I liked.  Astro was by far my favorite healer, but I'm interested in trying out a new one.

Bebpo

« Reply #2344 on: February 06, 2021, 05:52:25 PM »
Getting rid of strategic thinking has sadly been the direction FF14 is going since Stormblood. I wish the combat was more complex and not just learn boss patterns to dodge and tank swap occasionally on Ex/Savage, but they're trying to reach the mainstream AAA space as much as possible and that's just what AAA games are these days.

Maybe when they rehaul the combat at some point (7.0?) they'll build back to more strategic, but I kinda doubt it. IMO Heavensward was the high point of the combat. But then again that's when I joined, so might just be bias.

That's why I like healer class, at least the randomness of your teammates fucking up makes it interesting & exciting.