Poll

Did this become a thing or did it just die?

LOL
8 (12.3%)
Fuck off
4 (6.2%)
No one wants this shit
23 (35.4%)
Maybe
17 (26.2%)
Yes
13 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: VR Thread  (Read 49483 times)

Bebpo

Re: VR Thread
« Reply #720 on: May 04, 2021, 12:09:27 AM »
So this last week after a year + a few months since I got it my Valve Index has started giving me 436 display cannot connect errors. If I click reset headset a few times it works and once it works it's fine the whole session so it's working fine but there's some weird compatibility bug.

Looking online it seems like this might be because the headset cables get twisted and stop functioning properly. When my PSVR died a few year ago it was the headset cables as well. Unfortunately you couldn't just swap cables with PSVR and the whole unit was dead. With Index apparently if you complain valve will send you a free replacement cable so if this gets worse or doesn't get better I'll try that.

Definitely making an argument for wireless VR. When you move around a lot in a 360 environment with a wired headset the cables are gonna twist up over time, there's just no way around that. Twisted cables shouldn't break the connection though. wtf.

Although looking at it the part of the cables that twist is the cable that's attached to the headset. Not sure how you'd change that. Hopefully there is a way. I untangled my cord so I'll see if that fixes it the next few times I try to use it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 12:16:43 AM by Bebpo »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #721 on: May 04, 2021, 07:42:09 AM »
I think that (cord attachment) may be a complaint SuperBunnyHop had in his review of the Index.
He lamented several built quality problems with it, despite the cost.

Svejk

« Reply #722 on: May 11, 2021, 06:58:31 AM »
Citing “reliable sources,” UploadVR reports that the next PlayStation VR headset will feature eye tracking and foveated rendering, haptic feedback, inside-out controller tracking, an IPD adjustment dial, and a per-eye resolution of 2000 x 2040 pixels (4000 x 2040 total).
https://kotaku.com/report-next-gen-playstation-vr-is-sounding-pretty-impr-1846864969
 :phil

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Will still be wired, but still...  :phil
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #723 on: May 11, 2021, 11:18:41 AM »
Nice, sounds like a proper competitor, especially since Oculus shat the bed with their bullshit.
Also as i mentioned, PS5 is powerful enough to where VR actually makes sense for it.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #724 on: May 11, 2021, 01:12:53 PM »
I wonder if PS4 VR games will work with it? I'd trade in my VR now if so.

Svejk

« Reply #725 on: May 11, 2021, 01:18:32 PM »
I don't see why they wouldn't.  They have a great lineup of exclusive games for it.. don't see how they could drop all those and start from scratch... But yeah, I've been on the edge of dumping mine if confirmed.. while they're still worth something.

Mr Gilhaney

• RegisteredFlexOffender
« Reply #726 on: May 11, 2021, 01:58:36 PM »
After having finally tried the quest 2, I cant see myself going back to a wired headset tbh

Bebpo

« Reply #727 on: May 11, 2021, 03:10:08 PM »
I fixed my wired display connection issue with my index. Turns out you can access the cable on the headset that goes into the headset and over time I guess stepping on the cable while moving around it slightly pulled it out. It still seemed really plugged in, but once I unplugged it and plugged it back in it fixed all my connection errors.

After having finally tried the quest 2, I cant see myself going back to a wired headset tbh

Yeah, I'd love wireless someday, if the visual quality & power is up there. I can't go back to stuff like PSVR visuals after Index.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #728 on: May 11, 2021, 07:12:05 PM »
I saw some guy on Reddit hook the cable up to the ceiling, that would avoid the stepping on them problem.
I can't really do it in my house, but if you have the opportunity, doesn't seem like a bad move.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #729 on: May 11, 2021, 07:23:14 PM »
im happy to have both, but also hope sony develop a wireless adapter you can add. makes sense not to include it by default given how expensive the streaming tech is rn
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #730 on: May 14, 2021, 11:48:41 PM »
So my Index was back to being dead today. Tried unplugging and replugging and updating drivers and no connection.

I eventually tried switching the DVI port to another one on my GPU and it worked. So not sure if that port just doesn't work or if it was just a fluke. Will see if this one keeps working.

That being said I'm noticing little artifact dots on black screens when loading between things. I can't notice them with a colorful image on, but this all just seems bad.

So Valve's Warranty on the Index is 1 year which is a joke on a $1,000 piece of hardware. My PSVR died after 3 years+ and was out of warranty but at least that had a 3 year warranty.

If my Index eventually dies soon-ish (I'm just past 1 year, got it when Alex came out last year in March) and Valve won't replace it for free or very low cost, I'm probably gonna either get a Quest 2 or hold off on VR for a bit because these headsets don't seem to have great lifespans and this shit is too expensive to replace on a regular basis.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #731 on: May 15, 2021, 10:33:47 PM »
I just moved into a new apartment and I think I'm calling it on the Vive. I was able to put together an OG Vive + Audio Strap setup with Knuckles Controllers by salvaging parts from literally FIVE different sets of headsets all in different states of brokenness (I work at a VR developer). This lasted for about 2 years but I think I"m just going to get a long ass USB-C cable and go to Quest 2. I really miss the OLED and the inky blacks in that display, but the resolution is so much higher.

edit: The lighthouse situation has made me swear to never spend my own money on these things. They break like crazy, the warranties are fucked, and a buddy of mine got into a situation where HTC Japan was insisting he pay $20 postage for them to RETURN a broken lighthouse that they refused to fix.

Bebpo

« Reply #732 on: May 16, 2021, 12:09:22 AM »
So when I tried starting Beat Saber today got the same display error on the new DVI port. Switched back to the old DVI port and it worked lol
Had even more artifacts though, enough to be distracting.

So either:

1) One of the two cables to the headset is damaged and not sending a great signal.

2) The headset is damaged.

3) My GPU is dying.

This week will have my first fun experience with Valve Customer Service and see what I can do. I'm hoping it's the cables because they'll probably send me new ones for free even though I'm past 1 year or if not they'll be cheap.

I sure hope it's not my GPU because with Bitcoin mining shit I'm fucked. That being said I've been gaming on my PC daily without a single artifact or any issue so I think it's pretty unlikely it's the GPU. Since both DVI ports gave the issue it's not like just one port failed.

The headset when it works seems like it works fine other than the artifacts which makes me think the headset is fine and this is a cable thing.

Bebpo

« Reply #733 on: May 18, 2021, 05:00:20 PM »
Ok, Valve customer support was pretty quick and good and is sending me new cables. Hopefully the cables were the issue.

It's also pretty fuuuucked that the Index cables only exist through Valve. There's no 3rd party cable or 3rd party vendor to just "buy" new cables. I wonder what Valve will charge at some point for replacement cables through them.

These VR machines need to use standard non-proprietary cables. Things fail and need to be replaced.

Bebpo

« Reply #734 on: May 31, 2021, 01:05:24 AM »
I got the new Index cables from Valve and just hooked them up and yeah, fixed all the issues. Immediate recognizing the headset and the hundreds of video noise lines/dots are completely gone.

So basically my Index cables lasted about 1 year, which is pretty terrible for build quality.

Cableless definitely the future.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #735 on: June 04, 2021, 03:59:14 AM »
I just moved into a new apartment and I think I'm calling it on the Vive. I was able to put together an OG Vive + Audio Strap setup with Knuckles Controllers by salvaging parts from literally FIVE different sets of headsets all in different states of brokenness (I work at a VR developer). This lasted for about 2 years but I think I"m just going to get a long ass USB-C cable and go to Quest 2. I really miss the OLED and the inky blacks in that display, but the resolution is so much higher.

edit: The lighthouse situation has made me swear to never spend my own money on these things. They break like crazy, the warranties are fucked, and a buddy of mine got into a situation where HTC Japan was insisting he pay $20 postage for them to RETURN a broken lighthouse that they refused to fix.

Have you met Japan?

Bebpo

« Reply #736 on: June 07, 2021, 08:57:59 PM »
One thing that's kind of interesting is that since replacing my Index cables I'm constantly breaking my high scores in songs in Beat Saber. Even if I'm getting lower percentages I'm getting higher scores from better more accurate hits.

This definitely isn't skills, I've put like 500 hours over 3 years and every 10-20 songs maybe I'll beat an old score, but this is like 80-90% of the songs I'm playing I'm beating scores.

Which tells me either the latest official update somehow made scoring easier, or having bad/weak signaling video cables somehow effects the accuracy of the tracking? Which seems odd to me because that should be handled separately by the satellite trackers and as long as the headset is getting power (which it was) it should be accurately tracked. Idk the answer, but it's interesting.

Svejk

« Reply #737 on: July 20, 2021, 12:18:51 PM »
A demo for Fracked is up on PSN.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #738 on: October 07, 2021, 09:12:51 PM »

I worked on this, I did a bunch of the FX and materials. I personally can't stand survival games, but people seem to like it a lot. Moved mountains getting the PS4 version to run on the Quest, it's the exact same gameplay on all platforms. (Yes it runs on Quest 1)

Bebpo

« Reply #739 on: October 07, 2021, 10:02:48 PM »
The cover art's pretty dope. Whose the 2d artist?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #740 on: October 07, 2021, 10:37:34 PM »
The cover art's pretty dope. Whose the 2d artist?

Terada Katsuya, IIRC.