Author Topic: Boritos, Let's Play FFXIV (Free 96 Hour Login Campaign / 2 Week Free Trial)  (Read 12084 times)

Bebpo

Re: Boritos, Let's Play FFXIV (Free 96 Hour Login Campaign / 2 Week Free Trial)
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2016, 02:34:48 AM »
Played 3-4 hours and got to lvl.10, what level can I join you guys in combat?  I could see you guys talking but I had no idea how to find anyone.

So my experience as first time mmo, it seems sorta...generic/plain so far?  Like you can sorta explore, but unlike single player rpgs where you get rewarded for exploring by finding chests with cool loot...I haven't seen any chests in the game?  So basically exploring out I get to areas with level locked quests and fight some monsters until they get too high level and then there's nothing to do.  Fighting monsters or taking quests below your level basically gives jack shit xp, so there's not much to do besides just the next main quest at your level.  The fates have been a mix, there was one early on that was like a boss fight vs 1 strong enemy and that was a lot of fun.  But all the rest I've run into are just "keep beating down enemies below your level for 8 minutes" which is crazy boring so I leave after a bit and get the xp/gil.  The story so far is kinda boring?  Like a bunch of uninteresting delivery quests and people are amazed when you beat up like lvl.10 enemies "omg you are the chosen one so strong!!  :lol" and the story is all chosen one, go find the crystals, pretty standard tropey stuff.  Not getting why people say FFXIV is "real FF" unless they mean like FF1 or something.  The graphics/art designs is also a bit plain compared to single player FFs/rpgs so far.  Looks very plain MMO-ish.

Anyhow, haven't done "dungeons" yet, haven't done the classes stuff yet (just hit lvl.10), haven't teamed up and played with other human beings in a party vs enemies, so all these things hopefully will be rad and this was just a slow start.  Will stick with it though, because I want to give MMOs a real shot since people really like FFXIV.

A fair warning is that Gladiator is both the easiest tank class to pick up, but also never really gets complex at all. You'll have a 3 button active rotation all the way up to level 50, with lots of defensive cooldowns. Marauder gets more involved later, with different attacks applying different debuffs on the thing you're tanking.

I'm Onix Sunblade, and SpeedStats is Asha Sunblade, both of us were already on Hyperion~

Well that sucks.  Can I at least pick an interesting job to add more complexity?  Don't really want start over and grind through this intro stuff again with a different class.

« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2016, 05:24:05 AM »
Stick to it for now while you're learning the ropes. When you reach level 10 and do the corresponding class quest, you gain the ability to swap to other classes by simply equipping another weapon, once you unlock them at their guilds. You visit the other cities and get their classes unlocked once you reach the level 15 story quests.

The game has an exp bonus system where any subsequent clases you level get a boost, making them not take as long to build up.

I mentioned it before, but the game has a ton of lower quests that aren't very interesting or worth doing if your current level is too high above them. Only bother with the ones that have the Realm Reborn logo or ones with a + icon. The former are the main story, while the latter unlock stuff (features, dungeons, etc).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:30:04 AM by The Legend of Sunblade »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2016, 07:41:45 AM »
you'll find plenty of reasons to explore the maps as you progress. fates and leves will take you all over if you're grinding exp (which you shouldn't do until you're leveling a second class; the main story gives you enough exp for your first class), but you'll also be running everywhere if you start playing a gathering class.

you'll start unlocking dungeons shortly after you start riding airships. keep in mind this game has tons of content, that unlocks as you play the game, including stuff you can't access until you beat the 2.0 story. there's crafting and gathering classes, daily quests and roulettes, multiplayer, the gold saucer, house building, chocobo racing, triple triad, GLAMOUR, etc etc etc. this is a huge game and it'll be a long long time before you exhaust all the content.

as for the story, yes it will get more interesting soon, although some of the level 20 story quests have the worst fetch questing bullshit ever. like pretty much everything else in the game, it gets better and better the further you go.

and as for it not feeling like an ff game, just you wait :) there'll be so many fun references, homages,  and cameos that you will flip out if you know your series history.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2016, 07:44:14 AM »

official 1.0 story recap
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2016, 12:09:06 PM »
Wait, 1.0 had its own story?  I'll watch that later.

But why aren't there treasure chests?  It's kinda like Diablo without chests, so far there's no loot in the game, monsters just drop like meat and the only loot is from quest rewards.  I love finding chests with a new piece of equip or weapon in rpgs.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:51:41 PM by Bebpo »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2016, 12:13:57 PM »
lmao it's an mmo. you draw for items after beating bosses in dungeons. you can also craft gear, and the postgame is filled with content that gives you all sorts of unique currencies that can then be used to purchase unique items.

also if you're stuck on treasure hunts, gathering classes can find treasure maps that lead you to chests guarded by powerful monsters, and some might even do more than just give you cool treasure...
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2016, 03:58:41 PM »
Interesting, so 2.0 is literally FFXIV-2 and the sequel to 1.0?  So 1.0's story is canon?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2016, 04:20:19 PM »
yes it absolutely is. 2.0 is a direct sequel. the story even changes a little if you transferred over a 1.0 character. 
pcp

Himu

« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2016, 04:33:24 PM »
Will be playing FFXII-2 when I get home from work at 11 pm - 12 am ish. I'll be playing alone I guess.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2016, 04:41:35 PM »
I'm curious what you think feels similar to FFXII?  Not getting XII vibes.

yes it absolutely is. 2.0 is a direct sequel. the story even changes a little if you transferred over a 1.0 character.

So was the world map different in 1.0 because I thought the reason everything is kinda wastleland is because Bahamut raging in the Calamity.  So if 1.0 was before that I'd expect the world to be more thriving.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2016, 08:03:04 PM »
Hyperion all full  :'(

Also, what does it mean that it's a Legacy server?

___

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2016, 08:30:15 PM »
So was the world map different in 1.0 because I thought the reason everything is kinda wastleland is because Bahamut raging in the Calamity.  So if 1.0 was before that I'd expect the world to be more thriving.
The maps were all different, yes. It wasn't really any more lush in 1.0. But all the environments were just small section copy/pasted over and over so I guess it's hard to judge.

Hyperion all full  :'(

Also, what does it mean that it's a Legacy server?
Anymore it doesn't mean anything. At launch of 2.0, Legacy servers were servers that hosted old 1.0 characters and any new 2.0 characters. Other servers were "New Character" servers and 1.0 characters couldn't transfer there. I'm pretty sure at this point all the restrictions on transfers are removed.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2016, 09:17:34 PM »
Keep refreshing the server list, Hyperion should open up eventually.
dog

Himu

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2016, 11:58:35 PM »
Don't wait and reload servers. Hyperion is open on late nights around 11 PM CT
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2016, 12:33:08 AM »
I'm curious what you think feels similar to FFXII?  Not getting XII vibes.

Zones. Blue dotted lines for each zone. Large cities. Takes the basics of FFXII and expands it. Hunts. The battle system. The Yoshida character designs. The aesthetic. Of course, a lot of this is due to the fact that FFXII borrowed a lot from FFXI and FFXIVARR has borrowed from FFXII AND XI. You warp around via Crystal. It even has monster chains.
IYKYK

Freyj

« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2016, 12:37:07 AM »
The latter stuff in 2.0 is some really really cool heavy Final Fantasy shit. Heavensward's middle section has the most Final Fantasy scenario I've played in probably a decade.

Also Bebpo, there's value in leveling classes to 15/30 for a number of reasons. Most of the jobs require you to have leveled other classes to 15 and you can cross class skill some useful stuff from other classes. I'm sure GLD has something critical for the other tanks.

« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2016, 03:46:18 PM »
Most I'm sure GLD has something critical for the other tanks.

Every time a Warrior or Dark Knight does a duty without Provoke...  :japancry