Author Topic: Nier Automata  (Read 36172 times)

Rahxephon91

Re: Nier Automata
« Reply #180 on: April 20, 2017, 03:21:04 AM »
I'd agree but hacking actually is really good on crowds and higher hp mobs.

Bebpo

« Reply #181 on: April 20, 2017, 03:23:03 AM »

Good on crowds because the explosion it causes?

Rahxephon91

« Reply #182 on: April 20, 2017, 03:48:37 AM »

Good on crowds because the explosion it causes?
Yes it has splash damage which can easily also destroy the smaller enemies in a chain. Combined with certain chips and 9S ranged can take no damage. 9S seems to be more about crowd control anyway. Also hacking seems to do more damage to the bigger mobs then just chipping away at them.

I think 2B is a lot more fun to play as well but by the end of Route B I didn't hate playing 9S as much.

Bebpo

« Reply #183 on: April 20, 2017, 10:58:48 PM »
Finished Route B, took about 6 hours.  Running through the game again made me appreciate it more.  Really nice game.  Got in the hang of hacking and 9S was pretty fun to play as.  The new scenes from Carnival onwards that show the other side like Nier 1 Route B were great and added a lot.  The only weak parts are the flooded city shmup section is kinda long and boring on replays and Factory as 9S suckssssssssssssssssssssssss omg that was painful.  Otherwise was pretty nice.

I like the design of the world, it's pretty complex and has lots of metrodivania-style connecting of areas and hidden areas.  This run I equipped the plugin that shows items on the mini-map and seeing where the treasure boxes are and trying to figure out how to get to them was fun.  I did a few more sidequests and the sidequests in this game, at least the ones I've done, are generally pretty good.  Much better than Nier 1 sidequests.  They usually have some neat little story/lore attached to the quest.

Ending was mostly the same in route B.  The Yorha manual thing was pretty much what I guessed was going on considering that in Nier 1:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The MC fucks up the entire Gestalt/Replicant merging system and dooms humanity to extinction....whoops.  Most bleak ending ever.
[close]

Kinda interested in where the plot is gonna go for the 2nd half with C/D/E since that seemed like it was the big reveal and it's out of the bag.  Generally the mysteries seem wrapped up and you can kinda piece together everything from Nier 1 -> Nier Automata and what's going on by the end of Route B outside:

The two holographic girls in the ending.
[close]

Might start Route C tonight.  If not will play it this weekend. 

Bebpo

« Reply #184 on: April 22, 2017, 03:18:06 AM »
Made some good progress in Route C tonight.  Finished the A2 parts and the first two towers with 9S.  Not sure how I feel about this 3rd route.  The game, kinda like Nier 1, feels like it's going to be an "experience" that you play once and it's memorable and then you never touch it again and just listen to the soundtrack.  There's a decent amount of slow, unfun little bits (usually involving robots or being hacked) made for cinematic purposes that are annoying on the first play and would really suck on replays.  Also there's a fuckton of hacking mini-games.  I gotta wonder how this is going to go over with mainstream J6P whose never played a shmup in their life.  Shmups are one of my fav genre so I'm decent at them and I still find a few of these a little tricky, I gotta imagine people who aren't shmup skilled could get stuck in story progression because of the hacking.

Story-wise kinda curious to see where it goes, so far this 2nd half is pretty angsty.  Hopefully the tower will be interesting.  Was kinda hoping there'd be more areas to the world since it's a bit small, but it seems like the only new areas are the tower stuff and the 2nd half is still just a lot of running around the same forest/desert/factory areas. 

Finally found a use for heavy weapons.  With A2 I taunt the enemies, dodge offset and counter with a heavy weapon (berserk mode if possible too).  That way the 1000+ damage is multiplied by the 280% of my Taunt+3 & double damage of Melee Damage+ item and takes out grunt groups in 1-2 hits and bosses quick.  Also heavy weapon seems like a good follow-up post hacking-stun since the enemy just sits there and you can get 1-2 hits in and might as well use your highest damage weapon.

Oh and the start of Route C was insanely hard difficulty spike for me.  I think not doing the quests or something had me really underleveled.  I was like lvl.40 and the intro for Route C when you're assisting the various Yorha groups has you fighting like a giant lvl.60 enemy (and the normal enemies were all ~lvl.50) and I got one-shotted the first time, had to be kinda careful and buff up on items to get through that intro portion.  After you get A2 difficulty balance seemed back to normal.  I'm lvl.47 now.

For combat I wish there was a way when you're playing with 9S as your support partner to have him do the hacking explosion stuff to the enemy groups since the splash fire damage is so useful and it sucks going back to crowds without that.

Bebpo

« Reply #185 on: April 22, 2017, 08:04:45 PM »
Finished C/D/E.  Well, that was something alright.  Was a neat game to experience.  The story is more interesting than 90% of other games, but I didn't find it as interesting as Nier.  Maybe because it didn't really have notable characters.  It felt like a really short story without a lot of substance to it and instead just lots of weirdness and questions.  Then again I still gotta do most of the quests and collect the rest of the archives and maybe that will flesh it out some more.

I kinda felt like the entire C/D 2nd half didn't really add much and was just kinda messy.  At the end of Ending B I was pretty satisfied because I thought it fleshed out the A/B story pretty well and it was short, but solid.  C/D is back to kinda of that feeling I had at the end of A where it needs fleshing out for the 2nd half.  Again, maybe the quests and archives will do that.  Gonna look at some quest guides and then get going on that.  Hell, it'd be nice to know where you can upgrade your weapons past lvl.3 because it was kinda of lame having all the materials to get to lvl.4 but none of the weapon vendors will upgrade it.

Combat was alright but I feel like from ending B on it's hard to just get some nice lengthy satisfying character action sequences.  Game is always changing things around, taking away controls, throwing in cutscenes, etc...  Kinda felt more like a linear action game than an rpg, whereas Nier was more of an arpg than action game.

3rd best game Platinum has developed after Bayonetta & Vanquish.  Hopefully the big success of the game will encourage them to make another game and maybe they'll get some more budget/time to expand it and polish it up a bit more.

Also ending E was fucking ridiculous.  Taro really likes his shmups.

Bebpo

« Reply #186 on: April 23, 2017, 03:48:55 AM »
Did a chunk of the sidequests, found the lvl.max sword guy, watched vids of some of the endgame stuff like Emil's determination.  Did the first Emil quest though.  Read a lot of wikis and articles and discussions on the story/characters/lore.  Good game.  Maybe I'll replay it someday.

Bebpo

« Reply #187 on: April 23, 2017, 01:25:41 PM »
So I was in bed last night thinking about Nier Automata and Nier, listening to the OSTs for both, and I know exactly why I liked Nier more from a story-perspective (gameplay Automata kicks its butt, no question).  When I listen to the Nier OST and think about the characters, Nier, Kaine, Emil, the Desert King, Devola, Popola, to put it in millennial-speak, I get the feels.  Nier/Kaine/Emil/Desert People were all characters I grew really attached to and I cared about.  Seeing them and their stories of struggling for life and survival in a world where everything is going greek tragedy pulls at the heartstrings and created an extremely impactful and memorable tale.

With Automata...I can't think of any time I had any feelings when stuff happened to B2/9S/A2.  It was more just watching it all play out from a detached observer point of view.  This was more similar to the Drakengard characters (although better) where they're more standard anime/videogame characters and the game is more about the plot than the characters.  The only feels I got about the main trio was growing to hate 9S in the second half and I couldn't wait to kill his dumb ass (ending C was satisfying).  Yes, Nier Automata was also about characters struggling to survive in a greek tragedy of the world, but to me, almost everything was detached like a more typical action videogame and non-impactful.

But I said, almost, and that's because there are characters in Nier Automata I cared about and that gave me the feels.  Emil's story was the most moving/touching part of the game and the ending really makes me sad; though a lot of that is because his story has carried over and I already cared about Emil.  I cared about Pascal as well, and felt bad about his end.  But the main cast just never gave me a reason to care about them, and it was more just watching their story play out and thinking "hey, this is a neat sci-fi short story" from a detached point of view.  It's still a good, neat sci-fi story.  It's an interesting tale, more interesting than 90% of game stories, and it's definitely going to be one of my favorite games this year.  But unlike Nier, I can't imagine myself in a year feeling anything about the story/characters and therefore probably just forgetting it over time.  Whereas I still think about Nier and probably will the rest of my life.  It's up there in the top 10 game stories of all time for me.

Now maybe it's unfair to compare characters to the level of Nier, since that's Taro's best work from a writing perspective, and the Drakengard games I've experienced (1 & 2, I started 3 last year but still early in it) haven't provided characters I care about either and those characters exist more for the laughs while watching the wacky crazy plot. 

tldr; while I really liked Nier Automata, the reason the story generally falls flat for me on an emotional level and lacks the impact of the original Nier is that B2/9S/A2 are robotic.  Well duh, they're androids.  Hopefully the next Nier game is about humans.

For instance:
When 2B dies, I didn't feel anything at all. Partly because the controls were so tedious in that section getting to that area when couldn't jump/dash for long periods I was pissed at the game already and just wanted that part over with to get back to normal controls, and partly because 2B/9S everyone died so many times in the game and kept coming back it sorta lost impact like is this actually a death scene for 2B?  Or is this just a normal scene and she's going to come back again.  After a bit I could tell she was actually gonna stay dead and then my thought is "that's pretty ballsy killing your main character" but by then I'd just moved on.  The actual death itself didn't really have any impact when killing off your main character halfway really should've had some Aeris Dies kinda major moment impact.
[close]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 01:36:23 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #188 on: April 26, 2017, 03:36:58 AM »
Still thinking about Automata from time to time.  I think it's absolutely hilarious that Automata is the sequel to a joke track on a drama cd from the original Nier.  On the drama cd that's all super serious, at the end there's a gag track where Emil, 200 years later or so, is chasing boars when he sees a UFO fly down and attack him so he makes hundreds of copies of himself, fires an EMIL BEAM and then goes away to gather his head copies & realizes he's missing one.

The aliens took it and built the machine life forms off of it, which is why all the robot heads look sorta like Emil's head.
[close]

If you pull up Google threads from 2012 or so about that drama cd, everyone just laughs that track off as a joke and non-important...and it becomes one of the most important setups for Automata.

Between that and Nier taking place after the troll teleport to Tokyo ending of Drakengard, Taro's having a good laugh at all this.  Now if there's a Nier 3, we gotta figure out the most goofy seemingly non-important part of Automata and that will end up the prequel to 3  :P

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #189 on: April 30, 2017, 01:53:48 AM »
I dont think this is as good as Nier at all. Im just really glad i dont have to collect weapons again and you can just buy your way to the platinum.
fat

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #190 on: April 30, 2017, 08:48:35 PM »
I need to play this shit, I guess

BTW I was the editor on the English version of Drakengard and I have no idea WTF was happening in that game

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: May 04, 2017, 12:18:00 AM »
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #192 on: May 04, 2017, 09:57:59 AM »
bought
©@©™

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #193 on: May 04, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »
dis one is good

nat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #194 on: May 04, 2017, 07:29:22 PM »
Oh fuck I want that T shirt

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #196 on: May 07, 2017, 11:50:48 AM »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2017, 08:03:57 AM »
Got the platinum. Trophy Shop is such a game changer. Just walk up and buy your way to a platinum.
fat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #198 on: May 10, 2017, 05:47:48 PM »
friend of mine was saying not to try to do everything on the first play through that true?am i playing wrong? I'm a bit of a slow explore every nook and cranny kinda even if im supposed to be playing this multiple times.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: May 10, 2017, 07:13:20 PM »
You can't miss side quests forever, but there's no downside to doing them whenever you can (other than a handful that are way more high level than you probably are when you first discover them).
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #200 on: May 11, 2017, 01:53:25 AM »
friend of mine was saying not to try to do everything on the first play through that true?am i playing wrong? I'm a bit of a slow explore every nook and cranny kinda even if im supposed to be playing this multiple times.

No point to do everything. Or anything. You can just buy all the trophies once you reach the "ending" (Route C).
fat

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #201 on: May 13, 2017, 05:46:40 PM »
I'm not sorry

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #202 on: May 14, 2017, 03:09:29 AM »
None of these characters are more invested than Nier's. I just didnt give two shits about any of these dummies. Yonah >
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: June 28, 2017, 10:12:39 PM »
Finally beat the B route, starting on the C route.

Now, the real Nier: Automata begins!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 02:42:45 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #204 on: July 03, 2017, 02:33:25 PM »
so as you all know i buy any old piece of software because i'm an idiot.

I bought Nier Automata and played it for an hour or so and other than the awesome music i was "seems alright"

oh boy/

so then i romped through to ending A - thought, "hey this game is pretty good"
ending B - "yes, this is REALLY good"
ending C/D - "holy shit, this game is excellent"
ending E - uncontrollable mental breakdown and "this is the best game ever made"

The one thing that they just didn't nail was the start - it's a little too safe for a few hours but , heh, you can't have anything.

And holy shit the music - what an insane soundtrack.

This gets the DCharlie stamp of "my favourite game - ever" - unfortunately it has now ruined every other game i try to play, everything else just feels.... ordinary.

Thanks Yoko Taro.... :/
O=X

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #205 on: July 03, 2017, 03:22:29 PM »
Went ahead and got this today. Kinda going over my gaming budget already (which isn't very large to begin with) but I think it'll be worth it.  :doge

edit: It is.  :rejoice
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:14:17 PM by Atramental »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #206 on: July 03, 2017, 10:12:44 PM »
Nier is the kind of game that just keeps getting better the more you play it. And also more depressing.
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #207 on: July 04, 2017, 11:23:27 AM »
Become As Gods is definitely the videogame song of the year, that's for sure. I do think I like Automata even more than Persona 5, so it's my GOTY so far unless Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 blow me away.
^_^

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #208 on: July 04, 2017, 05:52:10 PM »
I tried to return to this last night for the first time since P5 came out and I am totally lost. I can't exactly remember the last thing I did and the quest log only seems to track side quests :(. I might have to start over if I want to play this :(
serge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: July 04, 2017, 06:17:37 PM »
The log should track the main quest, as well, could be bugged or something. Is there anything on the map that might help you figure out what to do?
dog

TVC15

« Reply #210 on: July 04, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »
Just trackers for the side quests, iirc. I can post what they are once I turn on my PS4.
serge

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #211 on: July 06, 2017, 12:39:39 AM »
Route B spoilers I guess

Did anyone beat the secret boss
Emil
[close]
on their first run through of B or can you come back to that on another route/chapter select?

Being lvl 46 vs a 99 has me dodging the whole time while doing 2 damage

TVC15

« Reply #212 on: July 06, 2017, 03:10:40 AM »
I got unstuck. It turns out that when you first load your game, the current main objective appears in the lower-right corner for a few seconds. I was right about this objective not being in my quest log.
serge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: July 10, 2017, 09:15:27 PM »
E ending completed. :tocry

I even sacrificed my save files to help someone else, as I was helped in turn. :tocry :tocry
[close]
dog

G The Resurrected

« Reply #214 on: July 11, 2017, 11:44:13 AM »
So as some of you might already know there was a concert in japan for Nier Automata a few months back and in it there was an original story that concludes the events of the game. So due to the love and support of the original english voice actors 2b and 9s it was transcribed and they performed a radio play of it.

Here it is:

If you don't cry by the end of this you are a heartless Yorha

Lothar

« Reply #215 on: July 11, 2017, 05:41:18 PM »
That should have been in the game.  It makes it much easier to understand what happened.  Also more satisfying of an ending.  I want that for a DLC.

It's great of them to do that.

I saw that the voice actors for 2B and 9S also streamed the game together and became friends IRL.  That makes me like the characters more for some reason.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #216 on: December 25, 2017, 01:55:53 PM »

paprikastaude

« Reply #217 on: December 25, 2017, 03:06:02 PM »
?

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2018, 01:13:14 AM »
That half hour when 2B and A2 are battling simultaneously and going up the tower. Epic.
每天生气

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #219 on: May 26, 2018, 01:16:49 AM »
That half hour when 2B and A2 are battling simultaneously and going up the tower. Epic.
One of the greatest climaxes in gaming. :delicious
que

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #220 on: May 26, 2018, 01:28:56 AM »
There's a lot I didn't like about this game, partly due to personal taste and partly due to cultural differences, like the really overwrought emotional writing which at times felt way too much or inappropriately shoehorned. Some of the endings made me eyeroll. But overall this is still a masterpiece. I felt things.
每天生气

Svejk

« Reply #221 on: May 26, 2018, 02:04:38 PM »
Releasing around the same time as BotW and Horizon, this game still resonates with me the most.   The intensity and all out mind fuckery really made a much more memorable experience than those other two games.
And LAWD dat OST!!   :lawd

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #222 on: May 27, 2018, 10:24:27 AM »
Still the best game I've played all this gen. Let's see if Octopath or DQXI can dethrone...
^_^

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #223 on: December 10, 2018, 10:33:43 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #224 on: December 11, 2018, 08:23:59 AM »
Wonder if the re-release will fix the PC version's issues. :thinking

Also if 2/2019 is when 2B will be available in Soul Calibur VI.  :thinking :thinking
ど助平

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #225 on: December 11, 2018, 03:55:01 PM »
Special edition huh. This game has good DLC? The first one had an OK pack

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #226 on: December 11, 2018, 04:22:45 PM »

Nah, the DLC was pretty trash. A couple of cosmetic items, a Colosseum mode, and a couple of new side quests. Highly skippable.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #227 on: December 14, 2018, 05:03:27 PM »

Nah, the DLC was pretty trash. A couple of cosmetic items, a Colosseum mode, and a couple of new side quests. Highly skippable.
Another meta message from Yoko Taro about DLC.
The robots and Androids get exploited by colosseum runners  :thinking

This new version will probably end up missing an ending or something.
"Sorry you played this a year late. This character you need to interact with to progress actually died 3 months ago. ENDING Z"  :teehee
🤴

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #228 on: January 06, 2019, 06:59:43 PM »
Finally got around to playing this, wrapped up third run/C earlier.

i really liked it, although kind of expected it to be more 'out there' than it ended up being based on everything i have seen online. i probably should have spaced it out and did run C a week or so after B instead of just powering through (i had taken a few weeks between A & B).

i was kind of ready for it to be done towards the end, once dying became final again the occasional cheap death went from kind of annoying to infuriating. not sure if others found there to be a big difficulty spike...the tower was pretty great though. looking back on all three, they really made the most of their budget.

areas looked great, game has a good style (very Ico though), fantastic soundtrack.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #229 on: January 06, 2019, 08:06:40 PM »
ended up with D but skipped the credits. i should have gone with other option, but can run through stage on easy or something eventually i guess :lol

looking at all of the endings/stuff I missed, i totally missed a few of the callbacks to the original.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #230 on: May 07, 2019, 05:39:47 PM »
buying this real soon :hyper

Can anyone describe the philosophical themes of this game without spoilers? Really hoping I can cite the game in some Philosophy essays. Love trolling my professors with weeb shit

Svejk

« Reply #231 on: May 07, 2019, 06:18:42 PM »
Um... robots are dumb, but yet smarter than humans?   :doge  loljkidk  I'd like to play through it again.  There's definitely some mind fuckery afoot.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: May 07, 2019, 07:29:29 PM »
Become as gods.
©@©™

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #233 on: May 21, 2019, 09:39:10 PM »
downloading now :hyper

gotta wait a few hours for that 44gb download tho :(

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #234 on: May 22, 2019, 12:06:34 AM »
lol so I died on the first boss (auto heal chip didn't kick in?) and now im back to the menu lmao.

A+ Japanese game design trolling

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #235 on: May 22, 2019, 01:27:14 AM »
actual footage of me after seeing the robot's asscrack

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/cf47573e-6d77-47b6-8b8b-151786a16c55

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #236 on: May 22, 2019, 07:05:21 AM »
Current mood: best game ever

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: May 22, 2019, 11:20:15 AM »
It's really good.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #238 on: May 22, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »
This game is such a rollercoaster of emotions.

:heart :dizzy :drool :hyper :omg  :o ??? 8) :(
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #239 on: May 22, 2019, 05:23:33 PM »
DAT OST