Author Topic: Yakuza/Like A Dragon/Judgement Thread Of There's A New Game Couple Of Months  (Read 91117 times)

kingv

Re: Yakuza thread of there's a game every couple of months
« Reply #240 on: March 06, 2018, 02:08:55 PM »
I didn’t get very far into real estate. I couldn’t really figure out what advanced the clock or any way to speed it up.

I didn’t really hate the idea of it, but sitting around waiting for timers to fill is some phone game level bull shit.

kingv

« Reply #241 on: March 06, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »
I thought Yuki’s story was pretty good for cabaret hustle or whatever Majima game was called.

But the rest were just ok. Maybe the old dudes one wasn’t so bad

paprikastaude

« Reply #242 on: March 06, 2018, 02:22:23 PM »
You're not supposed to do it all at once, it encompasses all the other sidequests.

I don't even remember most carbaret kings. But the real estate arc might have been its own GOAT game tbh.

kingv

« Reply #243 on: March 06, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »
Cabaret king I liked because I could just sit there and grind it out.

I feel like by the time I got real estate royale, kiryus story was too close to being done for me to do it with out finding a reason to just fool around in the overworld waiting for the timer to tick.

IMO they should have brought it in at an earlier chapter.

I could really tell how much better my Majima was than my kiryu in the final chapter though. Majima wrecked shop and had about 2x as much health.

paprikastaude

« Reply #244 on: March 06, 2018, 02:56:38 PM »
IMO they should have brought it in at an earlier chapter.

That's true.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #245 on: March 07, 2018, 09:45:42 AM »
One of the (pre-order?) bonuses for Hokuto Ga Gotoku is a Kiryu skin!  :lol

ど助平

« Reply #246 on: March 07, 2018, 11:08:57 AM »
HgG demo was a lot of fun. I really hope it gets localized, otherwise I'll just import it later.
野球

kingv

« Reply #247 on: March 08, 2018, 09:47:28 AM »
So I’ve burned a couple of hours into Kiwami and have some thoughts about it.

I think going from 0 to kiwami actually works well. The relationships with reina and Nishiki are already established, so his heel turn hits harder. Of course, he tried to shoot you in the Head in 0, so I guess you shouldn’t be surprised.

It’s weird to me that Yumi wasn’t really in 0. She is sort of like Kiryu’s sister, but just sort of “appears” when he’s clearly been close to Nishiki for a minute.

I still don’t like Kiwami Majima as much as lord of the night Majima.

No one seems to age in this game. 0 takes place in the 80s, Kiwami starts in 95, then kiryu goes to jail for 10 years, so there is like 15-20 years between games and all the characters look the same. Like shouldn’t the head Shimano dude be mad old? And Dojima too. And Kiryu should easily be in like his 40s. It’s just weird choices. Kiryu looks somewhat older, as does Kazama, but Dojima and Shimano look the same even though they should probably be in their 60s.

Overall the game is also way less janky than I expected. Since it had origins on ps2, I expected it to feel more “dated”, but honestly it just feels like more 0.

paprikastaude

« Reply #248 on: March 08, 2018, 12:56:20 PM »
Asians don't age. Except circuit racer man.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #249 on: March 09, 2018, 09:51:06 AM »

Don't know if that applies to men too though...

« Reply #250 on: March 09, 2018, 12:35:17 PM »
About halfway through Ishin, really digging the storyline and how they've played around with history. Not sure how much people would get out of this without some basic knowledge of the Shinsengumi and individuals from that time period.
野球

kingv

« Reply #251 on: March 09, 2018, 01:17:01 PM »
I’m still really digging kiwami.i May actually like the story better than 0 so far, it picks up much more quickly.

I also like how the frequency of random encounters seems lower. By the end of 0, it got old having to best dow 5 dudes every time you turned a corner. Kiwami I have been able to run up and down the street a few times without getting rushed.

The Majima thing sounded like it would be annoying (and still might) but so far I’m impressed that they have added a good amount of variety to how the encounters start.

paprikastaude

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:31:45 PM by Spieler1 »

kingv

« Reply #253 on: March 18, 2018, 01:32:53 PM »
Is that bad guy that huge kid that you fight in that yakuza 0 sub story? Looks a lot like him.

Anyway. I might only play yakuza games this year at this rate.

paprikastaude

« Reply #254 on: March 18, 2018, 01:42:58 PM »
Yes.

« Reply #255 on: March 18, 2018, 06:33:32 PM »
Yakuza 2 is awesome. Just realize that you're probably not getting Kiwami versions of 3-5 since they're already on the PS3 and utilize the same modern design aesthetic. So start playing the damn games.
野球

kingv

« Reply #256 on: March 19, 2018, 02:49:55 AM »
I don’t need Kiwami versions, just straight ports.

I don’t have a ps3 these days...

Edit: also the main villain of Yakuza 2 started out as a 10 year old stealing people pants. Nice
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:04:13 AM by kingv »

« Reply #257 on: March 19, 2018, 11:56:12 AM »
Gouda is a cool character. Playable in Of The End/Dead Souls, too.

Looks like 4 and 5 are on PS Now. They'd be smart to get 3 up there, too. Can't imagine they'll port them to the PS4.
野球

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #258 on: March 19, 2018, 12:04:59 PM »
It's Sega, do they even do anything but port old games and make shitty Sonic titles anymore?

kingv

« Reply #259 on: March 19, 2018, 12:11:50 PM »
PSnow is the streaming thing, right?

I really don’t like the idea of streaming vidya, but I suppose I will if it is my only option.

3/4/5 were censored in America, right?

« Reply #260 on: March 19, 2018, 12:23:44 PM »
PSnow is the streaming thing, right?

I really don’t like the idea of streaming vidya, but I suppose I will if it is my only option.

3/4/5 were censored in America, right?

A trivia mini game was cut due to the questions not making much sense to a Western audience in 3, I think. Other than that I don't think so, I played them all in Japanese.

edit: Sounds like they took out mahjong and the hostess club stuff in 3. Never bothered with any of that stuff, honestly.

In 4 they cut the trivia mini game but everything else was retained.

The only thing taken out of 5 was the theme song, which is par for the course of the entire series when localized due to licensing rights.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:01:29 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

kingv

« Reply #261 on: March 19, 2018, 02:21:26 PM »
That’s not too bad,

The hostess stuff is fun, too bad they removed it... and it’s not like it’s really all that risqué. It’s maybe pg-13

Drainage

« Reply #262 on: March 19, 2018, 02:35:15 PM »
Big Yakuza complaint here...

Reading text dialogue in this game (0) sucks. I’m mashing X because it takes so long for the words to appear and the constant little animations and bullshit the characters do completely breaks the flow of dialogue. Sometimes I’m mashing X to get past a line I’ve already read that won’t go away (due to some shitty animation playing) and then it’ll skip the next line or two of dialogue before I’ve read it.

This annoys me and when I realized 70% of the game is just reading dialogue text it annoyed me a lot more. How can you stand it? The game is kinda slow and bullshitty in the first place but this just makes it feel so much more so.

All they have to do is cancel the animation if you press X and move to the next line of dialogue.

daycru

« Reply #263 on: March 19, 2018, 04:24:43 PM »
Yeah the presentation is dogshit and the pace can be maddening.

Still my favorite current series though.

« Reply #264 on: March 19, 2018, 05:29:16 PM »
That’s not too bad,

The hostess stuff is fun, too bad they removed it... and it’s not like it’s really all that risqué. It’s maybe pg-13

Notice that they left it in for 4 and 5. Sega seriously drug their feet on releasing 3 outside Japan, so people were stuck with whatever they were willing to give them. Y1 and 2 sold terribly in the west, so I think they were just trying to release something safe that would sell but also not ruffle feathers.

I dunno. I gave up and started importing the games with Kenzan! and 3.
野球

kingv

« Reply #265 on: March 20, 2018, 01:49:08 AM »
I think 0 starts off pretty slow, but once it gets moving it's a gripping story.

I never really had a problem with the presentation, actually. It's probably better than at least half the games out there.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #266 on: March 20, 2018, 04:54:01 AM »
Played the first Yakuza years ago but didn't really get into it. Bought 0 last year during a sale and since y'all talk about I decided to fire it up yesterday evening.

Didn't really get far though. Walked around a bit in the city, sucked at karaoke and got into some fights. So far so good. Liked the atmosphere of 80's Tokio and the brawling is nice but also a bit clunky I think. There's also a lot of talking. Don't know if that's a good thing though, since I remember Yakuza 1 as pretty corny. I'll wait and see where the story leads.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #267 on: March 20, 2018, 08:09:19 AM »
Yakuza 6 is out, in English, in Asia.  Retail and PSN.

...So what was the reason for the delay again?  :doge

ど助平

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #268 on: March 20, 2018, 09:33:56 AM »
Problems with the collector's edition goods.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #269 on: March 20, 2018, 09:43:25 AM »
Started Hokuto Ga Gotoku last night.  I didn't get much time to play but just wanted to check out the beginning.  The opening is the same training area from the demo, I.E. the story skips all the beginning story from Fist Of The North Star and has you taking out thugs on a few floors then fighting Shin directly (without a fake Yuria doll in the background, hey what?).  Kenshiro then staggers through a town looking for Yuria, gets some water, and is told that she was there and gets a tip to head towards a the "miracle city" of Eden.  I didn't read all of FoTNS but I assume the Eden thing is new for this game.  The story is pretty easy to follow and those cel-shaded graphics. :drool  Looks insane at times- so close to a manga come to life.  Eden was in the demo, too, but now you have to find a way to get inside the city.  That's where I stopped playing for the night.  It's still kind of weird seeing a place in the world of FoTNS that has electricity and clubs and shit.

Problems with the collector's edition goods.

:-\
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #270 on: March 23, 2018, 05:15:48 PM »
It actually took me a while to realize that all the intro songs were removed in the west. The embarrassingly awful replacement song in Kiwami was blatantly off, but I still thought prior games had the original music. Especially since I like the replacement song in 3 over the Japanese version. 4 is better in Japanese, but the western intro was the kind of melodramatic bs that didn't feel out of place.

Either way, I guess even if we got the game, we ain't ever getting this.

:tocry

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #271 on: March 23, 2018, 05:17:27 PM »
I haven't even heard that song in the game yet and I cleared the first chapter.  :lol
ど助平

« Reply #274 on: April 06, 2018, 02:08:22 PM »
Finally beat Ishin the other night. Really fun game, did a good job trying to take historical events with a RGG slant.
野球

kingv

« Reply #275 on: April 14, 2018, 06:15:08 PM »
I just finished up Kiwami. I think I liked the order of going from 0 to Kiwami.

The Nishiki arc I think had more impact that way. Playing Kiwami only, he’s more of a villain for most of that game.

I thought the two yacht scenes were interesting, and also think it’s weird how both games the villains near the end end until being sort of introduced quickly, and not built up. Both the dude at the end of 0 and the dude with mole on his face in Kiwami were sort of just there, and not really built up over the whole story.

« Reply #276 on: April 17, 2018, 08:00:10 PM »
Hey look at that, my save game and trophies from the full game leak still work. Woohoo!!
野球

kingv

« Reply #277 on: April 17, 2018, 08:28:37 PM »
Just opened the essence of art edition... the art book is ok, but would have preferred a steel book.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:43:56 PM by kingv »

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #278 on: April 17, 2018, 09:11:35 PM »
Not the best limited edition these guys have ever done

kingv

« Reply #279 on: April 17, 2018, 09:44:30 PM »
I was very close to getting the one with the glasses, but like... I don’t think I would use them.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #280 on: April 17, 2018, 10:08:20 PM »
Just opened the essence of art edition... the art book is ok, but would have preferred a steel book.

It's kinda cool that the game case is the book, but yeah, metal cases are nice.  At least this case is better than the Tomb Raider paper ones...
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #281 on: April 18, 2018, 08:00:49 AM »
Where's that Yakuza sale, PSN?  dufuq

kingv

« Reply #282 on: April 19, 2018, 01:12:05 PM »
Played about a chapter of 6 last night. I’m not sure what I think about the new engine. I’m enjoying the heat actions, but it feels a lot less smooth than Zero or Kiwami.

There’s more going on, but I’m not sure that I prefer it.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #283 on: April 19, 2018, 01:20:54 PM »
Zero and Kiwami run at double the frame rate, so this feels a little chunkier.

That being said, no load screens on shop entry is fantastico. I also love what they did to the Host Club sequences, everything's so snappy now.

kingv

« Reply #284 on: April 19, 2018, 01:38:31 PM »
I definitely wish it had a performance mode on pro. It still has some pretty eye searing aliasing at whatever resolution it runs at so going down to 1080 and getting even 45 FPS would be good for me.

Running into the shops is cool, but it’s also sometimes annoying. I beat some dudes in the street and wanted to get a burger right nearby for a pick me up and they wouldn’t serve me.

In zero or Kiwami I would just run past a trash mob and enter whatever building and they disappear. Unfortunately that’s no longer an option.

Having only played zero and Kiwami, there’s a lot of characters I am not familiar with.

Plus sides: it seems like there are more heat attacks, and the double heat attacks against Ed with that sewer dude we’re pretty cool. It felt like there a decent number of them, some of which were environment specific. Those fighting with your Bros moments were great in Zero, and they seemed to double down on it here.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #285 on: April 19, 2018, 06:13:16 PM »
Yeah um I'm pretty sure my PS4 Pro is not doing this game justice

kingv

« Reply #286 on: April 19, 2018, 06:27:23 PM »
Really uneven image quality overall and it’s kind of weird.

Like sometimes I’ll see a fence or a power line I’m the distance and it makes me question what resolution it runs at, because the aliasing is so bad.  But then I’ll look at the characters in the same scene and they look really clean.

It’s sort of a weird effect.

Also, there were a couple of scenes that looked really low detail in the prologue, but I’m thinking that they might have just been fmv of some parts of the Yakuza 5 ending or something. Like the parts where Haruka was talking to him in the snow.

kingv

« Reply #287 on: April 20, 2018, 12:43:19 PM »
The Hiji substory is pretty great. I really thought it was funny.

One thing I like about this series is how Kiryu is a really really simple character. He’s basically a flat character whose only depth is that a bunch of shit has happened to him/around him, but he has not many defining traits other than badass.

Actually, the Fist of Athens North Star spin-off is perfect because Kenshiro is basically the same character. It must be some kind of anime trope. It’s sort of like the Japanese version of Superman. Super tough, always honorable, kind of naive, and somewhat boring.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #288 on: April 20, 2018, 01:02:33 PM »
Hiji  :-*

Just got to the Hiroshima backstreets. The amount of atmosphere in this game is mindblowing.

daycru

« Reply #289 on: April 21, 2018, 01:09:28 PM »
Y6 feels like a really big demo.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #290 on: April 27, 2018, 02:43:04 AM »

Cancel all other video games, you can't get any better than this

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #291 on: April 27, 2018, 09:46:20 AM »
someone really liked evanescence  :lol

I am plugging through and prob like 3/4 of way through 0, i am really liking it but I just don't have time for 30+ hour games at moment.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #292 on: April 28, 2018, 05:39:37 AM »

This is my favourite karaoke.

kingv

« Reply #293 on: May 22, 2018, 10:24:52 AM »
Yakuza 3,4 and 5 remastered announced for PS4. Yeah, booooyyyyy.

I started up on 6 again after finishing up God of War for trade.  This game is so much better.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: May 22, 2018, 10:38:05 AM »

I started up on 6 again after finishing up God of War for trade.  This game is so much better.

Needs to be noted that this was for Japan-only, but given how well these games have done I'm sure we'll get them too.  Hope so since that could mean Yakuza 3 without shit cut from it.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #296 on: May 23, 2018, 09:55:08 AM »
I think 4 and 5 should remaster well. Those at 60FPS, cleaned up visuals, and better resolution should look almost as nice as 0. Which honestly I thought looked pretty damn good.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #297 on: May 29, 2018, 04:59:57 PM »

Needs to be noted that this was for Japan-only, but given how well these games have done I'm sure we'll get them too.  Hope so since that could mean Yakuza 3 without shit cut from it.

Also revealed in the video, Nagoshi states that there will not be cut content in the remasters, which is great news for those who played the PS3 originals outside Japan.

http://segabits.com/blog/2018/05/29/nagoshi-says-yakuza-3-4-and-5-remasters-are-for-new-overseas-fans-confirms-no-cut-content/

:rejoice :rejoice :rejoice

kingv

« Reply #298 on: May 29, 2018, 11:10:22 PM »
These might be the only games I play for like the next year.

Ono-Michio!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:43:23 PM by kingv »

Kurt Russell

« Reply #299 on: May 30, 2018, 02:02:16 PM »
Maybe they'll be able to double the playerbase and find at least 4 westerners willing to sit through all of them

:snore :boring :exxy
woke