Author Topic: Horizon Zero Dawn (The Frozen Wilds launches Nov. 7)  (Read 16329 times)

Klelk

Re: Horizon Zero Dawn
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 01:48:24 PM »

This is #4theplayers  :holeup

Bebpo

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 04:28:35 PM »
It's Guerrilla Games, so I'm expecting mediocrity.

And their first open world.  I wish the best and they make beautiful games, but expecting 6-7s.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:04:06 PM by Bebpo »

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 04:45:43 PM »
Very possible. I'm worried about the story and RPG stuff for sure.

I'm mostly excited to run around big, open forest/desert/mountainous areas.  There is something special for me about exploring giant open (non-city) environments like in RDR, Witcher 3 or Skyrim. If this does turn out to suck, Zelda and RDR2 are both out relatively soon so it won't be a big deal.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 05:29:34 PM »
This is the Oscar nominated cutscene from HORIZON ZERO DAWN for the Playstation 4 Professional.

:lol
©@©™

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 06:07:07 PM »
This is releasing in the same week as Zelda and seeing those previews, Sony should have badly moved it again but it's too late. Gameplay loop looks OK but it feels like the same old shit we've been doing in every other game. Just with Robot Dinosaurs (Also holy shit not including a Mon Hun style lock and using Tomb Raider reboot style Bow and Arrow. That's awful design)

The fuckery between the media and the stanleys will be insane though

If gets a higher Metacritic than Zelda: "The Sony exclusive Zelda killer!"
If it gets a worse Metacritic than Zelda: "From the studio that repeatedly tried to kill Halo and failed, comes a game that tries to kill Zelda. And fails"

We will feast :rejoice

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 06:30:16 PM »
What if I said both Killzone and Zeda are boring

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 06:52:15 PM »
Sony cant catch a break with first party games this gen  :lol

They are sooooooooooo lucky Microsoft fucked up at the start of the gen.
OH!

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 07:51:58 PM »
Sony cant catch a break with first party games this gen  :lol

They are sooooooooooo lucky Microsoft fucked up at the start of the gen.

I don't think I've ever bought a system for 1st party Sony games, it's all about those Japanese 3rd parties.
^_^

bluemax

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 01:47:22 AM »
I'm super curious to see how the tech holds up. Anyone who is remotely interested in Kojima's next game should be as well.
NO

archnemesis

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 01:55:22 AM »
The open world level of Killzone: Shadow Fall was pretty good. I'm looking forward to this although I'm not expecting greatness. Like most Sony exclusives it will be a solid game well worth playing.

Bebpo

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 04:33:15 AM »
I'm super curious to see how the tech holds up. Anyone who is remotely interested in Kojima's next game should be as well.

I have no concerns on this.  GG has proven themselves with art design & tech.  They are excellent artists and programmers.  Shadowfall still looks good.  They just haven't been great at designing gameplay or fun games.  If Horizon turns out good, then getting away from FPS was just what they needed.  If Horizon turns out mediocre, they'd kinda be better as a tech/asset company to work with others like Kojima. 

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 09:39:25 AM »
btw why are we comparing this to Zelda now?

agree with you arch, sure it will be worth a playthrough

Let's Cyber

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 08:45:41 AM »
It's out in the wild. I've only read spoiler free impressions but most things are sounding mostly positive so far.

Some shitty and inconsistent facial animations seems to be a negative but the combat is supposedly a lot of fun. 

I'm staying out the spoiler thread on GAF, there is a lot more info out there for those willing to find it.

Take My Breh Away

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 06:03:08 AM »
Someone on 4chan streamed it for a bit the other night and the game looked like a hot mess. They had already finished it on Normal (Critical path is about 10 hours or so) and did the game on Hard. Combat looked really messy, stealth was completely broken and the game was really glitchy including a few moments when the AI just completely shit itself and didn't react at all. Sony took down the video, but there's some webm's about from the stream floating around.

Tiny Mid-Game spoilers I guess.

https://my.mixtape.moe/nrposm.webm
https://my.mixtape.moe/lwxkjv.webm

It looks beautiful, but it seems like it's the perfect "Wait for a sale" open world game.     

Let's Cyber

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 08:40:07 PM »
The stealth kills do bother me.  If you jump out of the bushes to kill a guy, you shouldn't magically not be seen by the other enemies. That shit is way too lenient. 

They went a little too hard on the RPG stuff when I would have prefered something closer to MGS.

I'm mostly on blackout so I won't watch those vids but we'll know on Monday when the embargo is up how good or bad it is. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:44:39 PM by Let's Cyber »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 09:41:21 PM »
Usually I feel like the Bore's resident open-world game whore. I'll play the shit out of any OWG, but as pretty as this game is, GG's history had coated me in armor against its hype.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 03:15:48 AM »
10/10 would play again from Gerstmann

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/horizon-zero-dawn-review/1900-759/

Gotta say I didn't see that one coming.

the freakin woz

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 04:55:41 AM »

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2017, 07:28:19 AM »
Syndicate was a great game. One of the best shooters of 2012
nat

Let's Cyber

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 08:25:31 AM »
It currently has a higher metacritic than Nioh. 

I think that is enough justification to pass the crow around. :patel

I'm just glad it is decent. More well made open world games isn't a bad thing.

sarslip

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 08:52:39 AM »

:patel

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 09:38:34 AM »
A good Gorilla game?

Trump president?

2017 brehs

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 10:28:35 AM »
Honestly, I'm quite surprised at the high scores, although the one site I trust the most with reviews and whose taste seems most in line with mine is also the one that bombed it (USGamer, which gave it 2.5/5)
^_^

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 11:10:57 AM »
GBJeff gave it a 5/5, alt-right mysoginists destroyed again. White CISMale Power Fantasy Legend of Zelda cancelled. :lawd
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 12:08:11 PM »
Jeff giving it a 5/5 is not that surprising i think.. it looks a lot like Far Cry gameplay wise but way more polished and the setting is way more interesting. He's always been a huge FC fan
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 12:08:50 PM »
It currently has a higher metacritic than Nioh. 

I think that is enough justification to pass the crow around. :patel

I'm just glad it is decent. More well made open world games isn't a bad thing.

Meh the combat wont be as good as Nioh :P
What

Let's Cyber

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 12:17:36 PM »
Meh the combat wont be as good as Nioh :P
well that much is obvious

:mynicca

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 12:28:47 PM »
Jeff giving it a 5/5 is not that surprising i think.. it looks a lot like Far Cry gameplay wise but way more polished and the setting is way more interesting. He's always been a huge FC fan

He has been burnt out by the current Far Cry formula though so it seems this game was able to mix it up a bit for him to not mind it.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 12:34:04 PM »

He has been burnt out by the current Far Cry formula though so it seems this game was able to mix it up a bit for him to not mind it.

True but its also the setting. fc4 Was boring af after 3 ( still a great setting ) and Primal was also boring after 10hrs
What

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 02:09:17 PM »
Syndicate was a great game. One of the best shooters of 2012
Up there with resistance 2 in great coop gameplay

Raist

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 04:58:03 PM »
KZ2 was well worth it just for the MP.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2017, 05:20:37 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

:patel

Two can play that game:

(Image removed from quote.)

Not exactly changing my mind yet.

I still say this was a good game, not the "greatest ZOMG" game but a good game.

:yeshrug

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 06:21:56 PM »
I'll ask for a piece of crow pie happily if this turns out to be a good game.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 07:02:50 PM »
It'll sell better than Zelda due to hype and being on a way better console. But that's all it is.
Install bases are obviously going to be a factor here as well. The amount of Weeooos out there along with the launch pile of Switch is probably not close to how many PS4s are out there.
Hi

sarslip

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2017, 09:14:54 AM »
never actually played killzone 2

best killzone i played was on vita  :idont

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2017, 09:37:34 PM »
I'll wait until someone I trust plays this game and can give me an opinion.

Literally every single game Guerilla (and Lost Boys) worked on has been trash. Such amazing technical talent wasted on horrendous design. :'(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2017, 10:16:21 PM »
I'll wait until someone I trust plays this game and can give me an opinion.

Literally every single game Guerilla (and Lost Boys) worked on has been trash. Such amazing technical talent wasted on horrendous design. :'(

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2017, 10:16:26 PM »

Bzzzzt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killzone:_Liberation
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2017, 10:27:13 PM »

I heard the Vita one was actually good. I just had the misfortune of playing every KZ game(I got 2 a few weeks before launch, only picked it up because of the hype around it), just never clicked with me.

My little brother really wants Horizon, so I'll get to try it out at some point. But last thing you'll see me giving in to is reviews. They haven't been in line with my tastes for the most part in the entirety of the past two generations to be honest.

Killzone Liberation and Killzone Mercenary are the best Killzone games...and both of them weren't made by Guerilla Games.  :doge
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2017, 12:18:21 AM »
I've never got the praise for Mercenary. Felt like crap to play and it was just a slog to play. Really small levels that through like 2 or 3 enemies at a time at you. I don't think FPS work on handhelds. They are never fast paced, have great level design, and interesting encounters.

Killzone 2 still seems like the best game they made. It was so visually intense that combined with the weighty and cover focused gunplay, that it captured the feel of a warzone.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2017, 12:05:03 PM »
I've never got the praise for Mercenary. Felt like crap to play and it was just a slog to play. Really small levels that through like 2 or 3 enemies at a time at you.

It plays great-- just needs a little bit of sensitivity tweaking and it's good.  The smaller levels also fit in well with the game being on a portable.  Slap the game into a PSTV and you also get enhanced controls that use the extra shoulder buttons and L3/R3 and you basically have the game on PS3.

I don't think FPS work on handhelds. They are never fast paced, have great level design, and interesting encounters.

There's no reason why FPS games can't be made well on a portable platform.  Some of those Halo and CoD rip-off games from Gameloft are actually pretty impressive, but are ruined by the awful touchscreen controls.  In more recent years they've added controller support, but I've never tried them with it.  On handheld consoles, control layouts were the issue before, but that changed with the Vita and even the New 3DS counts.  Yet pretty much nothing was made for the 3DS apart from some Gears Of War rip-off and the Vita got very little in the way of FPS.  It's weird since the genre is so huge. 

You'd think that the Switch would have also gotten some FPS at launch, too.  Even it were just a port of an older title.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2017, 12:20:33 PM »
Playing it on a PSTV(which I did) just highlights that it is a pale imitation of a console shooter.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2017, 02:56:20 AM »
About 2 hours in. It is legit so far.

The intro is kind of long but I don't really mind. The lore is pretty interesting, I'm eager to push forward just to get more pieces of information on the backstory. 

If I had one suggestion to new players, it would be to customize the the HUD and switch things to dynamic. There is way to much fucking shit on the screen for no god damn reason but the dynamic HUD fixes that for the most part.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2017, 03:34:57 AM »
Yup its amazing af
What

Let's Cyber

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2017, 12:49:11 PM »
I never played the new Tomb Raider games so I don't know how this compares, but the bow stuff kind of reminds me of the strider class from Dragon's Dogma. It just feels really good, dodging out the the way of a charging enemy only to whip around with your bow and nail its weak point.

I'm HUD less at the moment and it is totally viable.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:54:07 PM by Let's Cyber »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2017, 01:22:25 AM »
Game seems pretty good honestly so far and man is it visually fantastic.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2017, 01:07:13 PM »
I'm about 12 hours in and have revealed around 20% of the map. Fighting some of the bigger creatures now.  This game is something special and the worldbuilding is way, way better than I ever anticipated.

It does have a lot in common with Far Cry but the combat scenarios are above and beyond anything from that series. The big robots are basically mini-bosses just wandering around in the overworld and there is more than enough variety to mix things up. Once you feel comfortable fighting one type of enemy, they throw 3 of them at you at once or a new type with a few adds in the next area.  There is a proper curve to the progression and an appropriate ramping up of difficulty as one progresses. You can never feel comfortable going into a new area and that is a good thing.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 01:11:44 PM by Let's Cyber »

Bebpo

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2017, 05:47:46 AM »
Played a couple of hours of this and it seems great but occasionally I find a game that's not my bag of tea (Civilization's another one).  I'm just...not into hunting games?  I had no interest in Far Cry Primal, I've never played ARC or any of the indie survival hunting games, and early on Horizon reminds the most of my time with FC4 which I loved, but without parkour and heavy weaponry and helicopters and jeeps.  Coming from WD2 (sandbox stealth), I miss the AC style parkour climbing movement and all the tech gadgets, and coming from Nier Automata (sandbox action), the combat's just no comparison.  A slower more realistic hunting based sandbox just doesn't really sound that fun to me?  Also my game glitched and wouldn't show the tracking paths in the post-tutorial first real section of open world so I saved and quit.

I'll still play it of course, and it looks neat and I'm sure gets much better as it opens up, but just seems like it might not be my kinda game, so it goes in the backlog behind games that felt more like my kinda game right off the bat like Nioh.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2017, 06:37:48 AM »
You better keep playing. This game is insane
What

Let's Cyber

« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2017, 07:00:27 AM »
I can see how this wouldn't be for some players if they don't enjoy the combat. For my personal tastes, it is just hits all the right notes. The tactics involved in the bigger fights is above and beyond something like FC 4 or Primal. And much more satisfying.

It has a lot more similarities to something like Dragon's Dogma that I ever would have thought. That "OH SHIT I'VE MADE A HUGE MISTAKE" feeling of running into ogre or drake at night in DD is replicated to a T. Just instead of ogres, it is a fire breathing robot spinosaurus.   :o

I'm also impressed with is the variety of the environments. That "wow" feeling of getting to Ard Skellig for the first time has been replicated several times for me in Horizon. You become accustomed to similar types of environments for 10+ hours and then they hit you with a crazy curveball. The western half of the map almost looks like a totally different game.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2017, 04:39:04 AM »
My only complaint is that my standard bow has become almost useless, and crafting ammo for the sniper bow takes wire, which is in short supply. I spend so many shards buying wire from merchants.
I think the standard bow is my most used weapon, actually.  I'm specced out with purple mods for damage and tear, it is very much viable. So yeah, Shadow Hunter Bow with the Hardpoint arrows is probably my most frequently used damage dealer and they don't require wire.  I only use the sniper on high level bandit camps for headshots and tearblast arrows to knock heavy weapons off of large machines. Like you said, wire becomes an issue and I'd personally rather use the wire for tripwires and the ropecaster.

I was pleasantly surprised there are actually a lot of different "builds" to play with. My normal setup is Hunter Bow, War Bow, Ropecaster and Tripwire. That has all of my elements covered.  Rattler and both Slingshots are also very good. There is another weapon type you can get from a hunter lodge quest which is also amazing.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:45:22 AM by Let's Cyber »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2017, 08:48:39 AM »
Currently 30 hours in, lvl 35, havent done too much of the main quest. Ive hit Meridian and personally this game is one of the best Ive ever played for sure.

Im constantly in awe with this game
What

Let's Cyber

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2017, 08:18:52 PM »
Just bought the Shadow Hunter Bow last night. Hardpoint arrows make all the difference. I got a 44% damage coil at the end of a quest, which makes this thing pretty powerful.
:respect

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2017, 08:36:38 PM »
I think this game will be what gets me to buy a ps4. It looks awesome

FStop7

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2017, 11:30:40 PM »
After the Proving

spoiler (click to show/hide)
okay I totally didn't see that twist coming.  I thought those other kids were gonna be my companions but nah they got their asses killed just like that.
[close]

Let's Cyber

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2017, 05:20:29 AM »
The Proving is a lot like the Chunin Exam in Naruto, except in the Horizon version...*EARLY HORIZON SPOILERS*

spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Sasuke" and "Sakura" are brutally murdered  :doge
[close]

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2017, 03:38:06 PM »
I fucking love this world, its so satisfying to just walk/run everywhere
What

Let's Cyber

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2017, 02:06:52 AM »
One more mission to go. The plot isn't super original as far as sci-fi stories go but the execution is great. The way they slowly pull back the multiple layers of backstory and reveal new pieces of information to the player (and getting to hear/see Aloy's reaction to each revelation) has kept me interested and the total package is pretty damn impressive. There has been a heavy emotional weight to the last few main missions that I never would have expected from this game. I'm really eager to see how it all ends.

This easily could have turned into a mess of nonsensical garbage with the game just shuffling the player from one confusing plot point to the next while leaving them confused and bored. I imagine Bungie trying to tell this same story beat for beat and how much of a clusterfuck it could have been.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 02:12:47 AM by Let's Cyber »

Raist

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2017, 05:30:44 PM »
Got it, went through the tutorial so far.

DEM GRAPHICS WTF DUDE