Author Topic: Persona 5 Thread | "Let's call it a day and go to bed."  (Read 87455 times)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Re: Persona 5 Thread | "Let's call it a day and go to bed."
« Reply #780 on: July 06, 2017, 12:30:37 PM »
My dream is a game like Persona mechanically, but with a completely different setting, and the highscool kid shit is replaced with adults at jobs, at a job. Persona 1 and 2 didnt have an emphasis on highschool kids i believe?

I dunno. Theres a lot of neat stuff you can do with Persona's mechanics and style of game. Ditch the kids, introduce the grind, pain, and pleasures of adult life.
OH!

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #781 on: July 06, 2017, 01:46:13 PM »
I'm pretty sure P1 & P2 both focused on high school students.

The issue is, as discussed somewhere earlier in the thread when this was brought up, that culturally speaking in Japan apparently HS days are looked back upon with the same fondness and nostalgia as college days in a lot of other countries. So, it wouldn't sell in Japan.

(I'm not an :expert just repeating what I read earlier)
yar

archie4208

« Reply #782 on: July 06, 2017, 02:01:05 PM »
My dream is a game like Persona mechanically, but with a completely different setting, and the highscool kid shit is replaced with adults at jobs, at a job. Persona 1 and 2 didnt have an emphasis on highschool kids i believe?

I dunno. Theres a lot of neat stuff you can do with Persona's mechanics and style of game. Ditch the kids, introduce the grind, pain, and pleasures of adult life.

There's this Persona spinoff called Shin Megami Tensei you should look into. 
spoiler (click to show/hide)
:doge
[close]

Himu

« Reply #783 on: July 06, 2017, 03:36:13 PM »
P2IS has high schoolers but they're awesome. P2EP has adults with jobs.

P1 is high schoolers.
IYKYK

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #784 on: July 06, 2017, 08:13:59 PM »
I watched a speed run for a tiny bit, and it was kind of interesting how they named each of the 7 palaces after the 7 deadly sins. I kind of disagree with #2 and #6 (I'd switch them), but the others sounded pretty fitting.

#1: Lust, #2: Vanity (I'd say it was envy), #3: Gluttony, #4: Wrath, #5: Greed, #6: Envy (I'd say vanity), #7: Pride.

I do think you should play SMT4/Apoc if you can Himu, I really liked Apoc last year or whenever it came out. Played through a couple times.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #785 on: July 06, 2017, 08:29:53 PM »
Honestly, P5 was fairly easy (well, mostly the boss battles) but I can't say I mind that all too much. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age.

Anyways, since we're doing series rankings (I've only played 3 through 5)

Music - 3 has my favorite, since it's more upbeat hiphop and electronic music. Not a big fan of 5's, especially the awful Mementos song

Pacing - 4 is the winner. 3's dungeon is a bit of a slog, and 5 can be pretty stifling with all the cutscenes and that damn cat

Story - 3 once again with its darker tone. 4 and 5 kept me interested, but 5 didn't feel nearly as oppressive as say 3 when everyone was getting into a stupor, or 4 when the fog slowly ate up Inaba

Dungeons - 5 obviously, since they actually have design and aren't just randomly generated corridors

S. Links - 3 is definitely my favorite, many of them were pretty poignant (the book store owners, the man with the terminal illness). 5's were a bit boring, like hearing about Ann's modeling career :zzz or Ryuji's track team :zzz

Combat - 4 probably wins on this, a good balance between the more difficult 3 and easier 5. I also hated not being able to give orders to my teammates in 3, that got annoying real fast. Nobody in their right mind uses those status affliction spells in RPGs, so why are you doing it, Mitsuru!
^_^

bluemax

« Reply #786 on: July 06, 2017, 10:47:23 PM »
My general impressions on P5: played for 60ish hours, and I think I've had my fill of this formula. To me, it's like P4 with less compelling characters, a less compelling plot, and a few welcome gameplay refinements. The presentation is killer, but I hope they mix it up more next time. Knowing game development though, any further sequels will hew very closely to this formula since its now proven very successful. I can only hope that there are some inspired developers out there that will rip it off and change things up.

What would you want someone to rip off from P5? What would you want them to change up?

I think the limiting aspect of the Persona formula at this point is the strict adherence to the calendar system. It feels like the only other major dev to try something similar without the calendar is Bioware (and I guess to a lesser degree Bethesda).

I guess maybe if you could take the idea of Dragon Quest + Relationship system and make it a little more open ended that could be interesting.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:52:30 PM by bluemax »
NO

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #787 on: July 06, 2017, 11:49:43 PM »
Now that Persona is mainstream...
Is it? It sold well (fastest selling Persona, iirc) for a Persona game but was super front loaded in the US. Didn't even chart top 20 overall for May NDP or top 10 on PS4.

Sales wise, it as the definition of a niche.

Himu

« Reply #788 on: July 06, 2017, 11:51:30 PM »
that got annoying real fast. Nobody in their right mind uses those status affliction spells in RPGs, so why are you doing it, Mitsuru!

In SMT games you do. You beat SMT games without using status effects?! What in the fuck!?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #789 on: July 07, 2017, 12:07:29 AM »
Is it? It sold well (fastest selling Persona, iirc) for a Persona game but was super front loaded in the US. Didn't even chart top 20 overall for May NDP or top 10 on PS4.

Last I checked, Dark Souls 3 sold 3 million units world wide.

Persona 5 sold 1.5 million worldwide. For a jrpg franchise in 2017, that's as mainstream as it gets.
IYKYK

bluemax

« Reply #790 on: July 07, 2017, 12:24:23 AM »
that got annoying real fast. Nobody in their right mind uses those status affliction spells in RPGs, so why are you doing it, Mitsuru!

In SMT games you do. You beat SMT games without using status effects?! What in the fuck!?

The only status effect spell I've used in P5 is tentafroo on some "bosses" in Mementos for easy money. Using kabuff/kasap etc is a different story though. Until the bosses use wave of ice :(
NO

Himu

« Reply #791 on: July 07, 2017, 12:27:29 AM »
In SMT game status spells are really effective. Always been huge on charm spells.
IYKYK

Bulleta©™®

« Reply #792 on: July 07, 2017, 01:07:57 AM »
FF10 as well. Using items was really powerful.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #793 on: July 07, 2017, 01:10:24 AM »

Last I checked, Dark Souls 3 sold 3 million units world wide.

Persona 5 sold 1.5 million worldwide. For a jrpg franchise in 2017, that's as mainstream as it gets.
:larry

I disagree but I also foresee the argument over semantics incoming and it really isn't worth either of our time to go down that path.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #794 on: July 07, 2017, 01:42:43 AM »
My general impressions on P5: played for 60ish hours, and I think I've had my fill of this formula. To me, it's like P4 with less compelling characters, a less compelling plot, and a few welcome gameplay refinements. The presentation is killer, but I hope they mix it up more next time. Knowing game development though, any further sequels will hew very closely to this formula since its now proven very successful. I can only hope that there are some inspired developers out there that will rip it off and change things up.

What would you want someone to rip off from P5? What would you want them to change up?

I like the day-to-day schedule planner RPG format, but I wish there was more freedom. A setting outside of high school (like college, or a job, or a young adult's meandering life) would be good. I'm so over Japanese high schools at this point.
serge

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #795 on: July 07, 2017, 08:21:02 AM »
Honestly, P5 was fairly easy (well, mostly the boss battles) but I can't say I mind that all too much. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age.

Anyways, since we're doing series rankings (I've only played 3 through 5)

Triggered hard as fuck rn
fat

Bulleta©™®

« Reply #796 on: July 07, 2017, 08:19:31 PM »
I played a bit of 2 when it came out on the PSP, and I'd rate it last by a lot. Saw a friend played it too. 2 and probably 1 are not my cups of tea at all.

bluemax

« Reply #797 on: July 07, 2017, 10:54:24 PM »
In SMT game status spells are really effective. Always been huge on charm spells.

They might be really effective, but in my 90ish hours of playing P5 I never found a use case where using one seemed like the most logical or useful option. Most non boss fights were use elemental weakness, then get the monster to join me or give me money. I didn't really start feeling the need to use buffs/debuffs until the 5th or maybe 6th palace boss. Shrug.
NO

Himu

« Reply #798 on: July 08, 2017, 12:33:14 AM »
Surprised you didn't charm Kamoshida. The man is lustful. Charm worked like...a charm.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #799 on: July 08, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »
The only thing I used status effects for was farming money in mementos. Buff/debuff, tho, you gotta use those.
yar

archie4208

« Reply #800 on: July 08, 2017, 12:19:01 PM »
When Futaba uses Heat Riser on the whole party.  :lawd

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #801 on: July 16, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »
Started ng+ on hard and its a little bit too easy lol

already did both palaces in the least days possible.
What

Bulleta©™®

« Reply #802 on: July 16, 2017, 05:40:20 PM »
Did you keep your levels/use personas from the previous playthrough?

archie4208

« Reply #803 on: July 16, 2017, 06:37:16 PM »
No.  You keep:

-Social stats
-Compendium
-Skill cards
-Money
-Equipment

However, you could summon a late game persona and breeze through the early game assuming you have the cash.

Bulleta©™®

« Reply #804 on: July 20, 2017, 02:17:14 AM »
Ah. I don't play NG+ on stuff, it gets too boring early on just nuking everything.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #805 on: July 20, 2017, 03:23:00 PM »
No.  You keep:

-Social stats
-Compendium
-Skill cards
-Money
-Equipment

However, you could summon a late game persona and breeze through the early game assuming you have the cash.

Yup im equipped with all my late game gear, half a ton in yen, and lvl 40+ persona around lvl 20 haha. I'm just trying to get all social ranks and so far they have all been coming really easy.

I love this game tho.
What

Bulleta©™®

« Reply #806 on: July 21, 2017, 12:01:05 AM »
I would still make sure to get Fortune as soon as you can and also up to the level to do the +affinity to social links.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #807 on: July 22, 2017, 05:04:39 AM »
I would still make sure to get Fortune as soon as you can and also up to the level to do the +affinity to social links.

Yeah I think I'll need her for the ones I didnt get to max last time? Or at least Sojiro cause his rank isnt moving.

Just beat Kaneshiro's dungeon within the least amount of time possible ( ingame days ). I'm hoping to do that to each palace so I can focus on the other stuff.
What

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #808 on: July 22, 2017, 05:14:58 AM »
Sojiro's is tied to in game plot developments. Until they happen, you can't advance his social link.
yar

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #811 on: July 30, 2017, 10:16:29 AM »
Sojiro's is tied to in game plot developments. Until they happen, you can't advance his social link.

It was frustrating how they still let you hang out with him even if you couldn't advance his S-Link. Very questionable design decision, and I wasted 3 or so nights doing that before learning on here you can't advance until X point.
^_^

Bulleta©™®

« Reply #813 on: July 30, 2017, 08:06:48 PM »
Be careful Himu, you're starting to get cranky like that guy at gaf that had multiple accounts to make fun of you for not playing Megami Tensei on the famicom when you were -5 years old.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #814 on: July 30, 2017, 09:39:13 PM »
Persona Dancing was fun

Persona Q was good

Persona Anime was good

What's wrong with any of that? LUL
fat

Freyj

« Reply #815 on: August 01, 2017, 01:58:39 AM »
I enjoyed Q at first but Jesus Christ I hated the later dungeons.

I just finished Palace 6 in P5 and holy fuck that's a lot of talking. This game has a way of stretching dialogue to absurd lengths sometimes.

eleuin

• perennial loser

Himu

« Reply #817 on: August 02, 2017, 03:01:18 PM »
Be careful Himu, you're starting to get cranky like that guy at gaf that had multiple accounts to make fun of you for not playing Megami Tensei on the famicom when you were -5 years old.

Haaaaa. Nah, I have the same problem I've had since 2013 and it's this: I just don't like games anymore. Well, I do and I don't. If it's a modern game, chances are I'll think it's doo doo. The only games I like anymore are fighting games (main genre and imo the only genres worth investing time in now are multiplayer games, gonna get Overwatch soon), platformers, and the occasional RPG. RPGs - especially of the Japanese bent - as you know, used to be my main genre. I now consider them time wasting filth with very peculiar exceptions. If it wastes my time (Persona 5) I think it's shit. If it's a classic jrpg like FFXII, Chrono Cross, Xenogears I don't seem to mind. I enjoy the classics and my cut off these days for console games worth playing is the PS2/DC/GC/XBX generation. Last gen didn't click with me. I still enjoy handheld games thoroughly. I do enjoy the occasional odd ball game like Life Is Strange, which goes against the norm. Still a fan of those. But for the most part it's fighting games and platformers over here. I've basically come full circle because those were my bread and butter ages 4-11.

So I'm not like Tachikoma. Although I must admit that I do find the people who have been shitting on Japanese games for over a decade all of a sudden are interested in checking them out simply because they're on ps4 and not Xbox, truly showing how utterly moronic gamers truly are. Whatever happened to "Japanese games are dead"? And "Japanese games are backwards?" So to see people jacking of Yakuza and Persona is both eye roll worthy and sweet, sweet justice.

I'm more like the old gaf poster Lapsed than Tachikoma. I don't think a game is worth playing unless it's old. And if it's new, it's usually either a new game in an old series or a new game with an old as time concept (Spelunky). Hell, I'm even more like you used to be. The only rpgs I'm sticking to now are DQ and FF. Waiting for P5 for nearly a decade and absolutely hating it made me turn in my SMT fan jacket.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:12:47 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #818 on: August 02, 2017, 04:32:12 PM »
http://cdn.persona-dance.jp/

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :preach

Give me P3U and P5U, Atlus-kun.

Bulleta©™®

« Reply #819 on: August 03, 2017, 12:23:52 AM »
Well, I wouldn't check out an RPG on the Xbox either, himu.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #820 on: August 03, 2017, 09:02:09 PM »

So I'm not like Tachikoma. Although I must admit that I do find the people who have been shitting on Japanese games for over a decade all of a sudden are interested in checking them out simply because they're on ps4 and not Xbox, truly showing how utterly moronic gamers truly are. Whatever happened to "Japanese games are dead"? And "Japanese games are backwards?" So to see people jacking of Yakuza and Persona is both eye roll worthy and sweet, sweet justice.

I think the 'sudden interest' is just the cycling of trends, and people quick to jump on anything they perceive as novelty. It happened last gen when all of a sudden western AAA games were all over the place, people praising the 'new' western RPGs (bear in mind it's a genre that existed since the late 70's!). Then it happened with mobile gaming (nowadays you don't really see too much enthusiasm for it), now it's "cool" to like JP gaming again. Everything goes in cycles. Same shit happens with music. Everyone dropped prog like a hot potato to rave about minimal, then dropped that for dubstep, then that for LIES style techno, now I don't even know what's big anymore.
^_^

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #822 on: April 19, 2020, 09:36:59 PM »
Everything goes in cycles. Same shit happens with music. Everyone dropped prog like a hot potato to rave about minimal, then dropped that for dubstep, then that for LIES style techno, now I don't even know what's big anymore.

The answer to this is "Business Techno"...
And to a lesser extent, "Melodic Techno", which is basically just prog. Like I said, everything goes in cycles.
^_^

El Babua

« Reply #823 on: June 29, 2020, 05:09:36 PM »
Yee, glad they took feedback from the original and made the 3rd semester as special as it was.

Hopefully they keep at it with Persona 6.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #824 on: June 30, 2020, 05:45:42 AM »
THAT IS—UNTIL SEMESTER 3, I’m only three days in and holy shit at the improvement in the game’s writing. I was disappointed with my 130 hours until I saw just how inventive they’re going to make this last stretch of the game. I can’t wait to see how this play out!
Yee, glad they took feedback from the original and made the 3rd semester as special as it was.
I'm currently in mid November and now I'm really curious to see what's coming. :thinking

El Babua

« Reply #825 on: June 30, 2020, 11:17:05 PM »
Just make sure you get Maruki up to Level 9 before the 19th.  :doge

As far as what's in store,

Let's just say it's a better exploration of trauma than a certain "prestige" video game released this month has been.
[close]

˄just a badly written summation of my opinion on it, no story spoilers

Let's Cyber

« Reply #826 on: July 01, 2020, 03:13:14 PM »
Yep, got the doctor to 9 and maxed out Akechi as far as I could. Kasumi 's link stopped at 5, hoping that was not something I fucked up.  They've been
teasing her has a new squad mate for like, 2 dungeons now.
[close]

El Babua

« Reply #827 on: July 01, 2020, 06:28:44 PM »
You're good for everything then  :like

Let's Cyber

« Reply #828 on: July 14, 2020, 06:21:30 PM »
The hype was real, you brehs were right. The concept was cool. Yoshizawa is great. All the new music was great. P5R is the best Persona title now as far as I'm concerned.

Royal is really what P3FES's The Answer should have been. They knocked it out of the park this time.

Also
I went from hating Akechi in vanilla to have a lot respect for him by the end of this. He was willing to die for his ideals and would rather not exist than be manipulated into living in a false reality. Felt like a very natural conclusion given how he left off in Shido's palace.

:respect   :tocry
[close]