Author Topic: CALL OF DUTY: WWII  (Read 10573 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
CALL OF DUTY: WWII
« on: April 26, 2017, 01:28:13 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
yawn guess that's two years in a row im skipping CoD. A first for me.
[close]

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: CALL OF DUTY: WWII
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »
like i'm supposed to pretend that beach landing is as intense as it was when we did it 15 years ago in the OG MoH:AA

it's literally the same sequence of events too, boat next door blows up, everyone in front of you in the boat gets gunned down, you gotta run past a medic savin a dude by the one hedgehog

plus a saving private ryan over the side hop plus vision/sound messed up that Quake III engine couldn't do at the time

we're totally going to have to go back down to get the bangalores to blow the hill aren't we? and then do covering fire and run across a mine field?
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 01:35:14 PM »

they should have just done this waiting period, then the slaughter at the start and have it be the entire trailer...people would have lost their shit, instead it looks like Battlefield 1's trailer

edit: blech this taco is ruining it by going slow up the beach to each "cutscene" whereas if you play it normal and run up you can only hear them yelling in the distance

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 01:39:47 PM »
"ACTUAL IN GAME FOOTAGE"

:comeon

That marketing trick only works if what you are showing is so mind-blowing its hard to believe.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 01:41:46 PM »
Why are they making another Call of Duty game for the Wii?  ???
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 01:41:52 PM »
there better be a fucking sweet Bastogne/Bulge segment, all we've ever got in games is the one short segment in United Offensive

Band of Brothers literally gave them three episodes to rip off from too

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 01:43:32 PM »
Yep, looks like a WWII FPS.
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 01:44:55 PM »
Why are they making another Call of Duty game for the Wii?  ???
*not available on Switch*

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 02:07:06 PM »
Pass if its the same boring cod gameplay, its time to change that shit up again like from cod 3> cod 4

benjipwns

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 02:10:20 PM »
all they changed gameplay wise from 2 to MW was make it more linear  ???

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 02:11:34 PM »

looks like their aping destiny/bf1 type stuff for MP?

benjipwns

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 02:16:02 PM »
so somebody pulled out a bunch of old boxes of stuff that wasn't fully realized back in the early 2000s like World War II Online and... Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 05:12:10 PM »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 01:02:11 AM »
This looks NOT GOOD.
Hi

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 02:39:57 AM »

naaaaaaah man

run mechanic etc changed the game, perks in mp

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 03:49:16 AM »
Oh no, the series has lapped itself

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 05:31:52 AM »
MW1's guns were all kinda the same, the maps were kinda boxy and weird, and the game was slower.

MW2 was an arcade shooter where you ran around with dual shotties, killstreaks reached peak absurdity, maps had weird/fun/cheap spots, there was tons of camping, noob tubes etc.

They were really different imo

He means CoD2 not MW2. But you're completely right. I'm team #FuckMW2 for how the series devolved in terms of gameplay.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 09:12:12 AM »
I'll give this one a shot.

The series lost me with Black Ops 2. Call of Duty to me, at its core, was presenting the player with highly intense personal human stories interwoven with cinematic depictions of horrific war events. Once they started straying from that the series become a self parody. If they're willing to double-down on what the made the franchise great to begin with then I'm willing to play it.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 11:00:25 AM »
I'll give this one a shot.

The series lost me with Black Ops 2. Call of Duty to me, at its core, was presenting the player with highly intense personal human stories interwoven with cinematic depictions of horrific war events. Once they started straying from that the series become a self parody. If they're willing to double-down on what the made the franchise great to begin with then I'm willing to play it.

??? ??? ???

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 05:53:58 PM »
My son is into COD lately, and this banner showed up on the little promotional window inside COD BlOps3's main menu. He asked me what it was, and had become pretty frustrated with the UI. There's only a STORE link there for it, and the Store would open and say "No items available." I hadn't seen anything about it, and the Japanese mentioned weapons, so I thought maybe it was promoting weapon availability for WW II style weapons, but there's nothing about how to unlock them or buy them.

So I throw him a bone and do some internet research, and find out this is a new game and it launches in November. I tell him. He says, "Thank you – I know that already, I'm wondering why there's a banner."

Shit, son, good question.

Oh no, the series has lapped itself

:bow Sho Nuff :bow2

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 07:26:29 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 04:32:22 PM »
naaaaaaah man

run mechanic etc changed the game, perks in mp
MW1's guns were all kinda the same, the maps were kinda boxy and weird, and the game was slower.

MW2 was an arcade shooter where you ran around with dual shotties, killstreaks reached peak absurdity, maps had weird/fun/cheap spots, there was tons of camping, noob tubes etc.

They were really different imo
taking about single player

CoD used to have multiple objectives and broad level designs that often ingeniously looped to fake a progression of time in the battle, then MW was just one long string to follow, telling you occasionally to stop and watch or "play" a cutscene and it was praised as groundbreaking and INTENSE

benjipwns

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 06:22:58 PM »
The first "three" Call of Duty's (CoD, CoD:UO, CoD 2) all had Russian campaigns (along with US and UK) most of which were centered around Stalingrad and/or the attack on Berlin and raising the flag on the Reichstag. The first game recreates Enemy at the Gates, where you're issued a clip of ammo and have to pick up an actual rifle off a dead comrade. Then it also does some counter-sniper stuff. The "big moment" of the first game is defending the siege of Pavlov's House.

UO sends you into Kursk and has a huge, for the time, tank battle between you and the Germans tearing up a bunch of Russian villages.

2 does Stalingrad again but has essentially one map where you experience offensives and counter-offensives from different parts of it. (ala you capture a factory from the Germans, and then have to defend it from their counter-attack, and then you go on your own counter-attack against an area you fought in at the start of the campaign but had since been captured)

Arguably the best moments of all three are set in the Soviet campaign. Other than UO's take on the Bulge.

Finest Hour for PS2/Xbox/GCN is pretty much garbage but most of it is set with the Soviets and it does the Enemy at the Gates, etc. rip offs. 2 on PS2/Xbox/GCN follows the American 1st, was Treyarch's first game and was probably the only good console exclusive Call of Duty.

The idea of 3 was to follow along a single European front, albeit among the different allied forces. World at War's non-US campaign is Stalingrad and Berlin again. But I didn't think they did Stalingrad as well as IW did. I seem to remember Berlin being more fun though.

The ultimate Eastern Front FPS games are the Red Orchestra series. The first two Sniper Elite games take place during the Soviet invasion of Berlin but you're an American OSS agent undercover as as German sniper. I want to say that in the first one you actually fight for the Nazi's at one point to save certain members from the incoming Soviet forces. Though you wind up fighting for pretty much everyone (it has a bit of a faction system that doles out the missions) it's one of the few games where I remember you actually fighting for the Nazi's in the campaign mode. And they aren't like good Nazi's, but ones the U.S. wants for our own nefarious purposes.

benjipwns

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 06:33:53 PM »
I've long thought it would be cool to take Red Orchestra's simply amazing scale maps and combine it with something like Bad Company 2's destruction model (and Battlefield's now standard multi-part maps) and (now add on say the AI grunts from Titanfall to fill out the space and battle) and just let a dynamic Battle of Stalingrad play out on servers with whole areas being turned into rubble which was common in non-Rush BC2 MP matches. The house to house fighting, etc.

Enemy Territory had a system like this that determined the map rotation, i.e. if Team A wins it goes to this map, if B wins it goes to this map. So you had this sense of a grander war coming out of the individual battles even though it was just a simple binary thing.

But I'd love to see just the massive city at the start of the offensive and it potentially going for days or weeks before the server had a "winner" and it restarted. (And you could obviously jump back into the game you were playing in.)

You could do something similar with D-Day, and there was once a DoD map that required special servers (at the time) to operate where once the allies captured the beach it would lock off the first line of defense and make it the new allied spawn and open up the backside of the map where you continued the fight into the second line of German defense. MoH:AA may have also had something like this, it had some really strange objective maps that I've never seen since. Maybe even UO did...I never played that much because I was so into DoD/:S.

There's always been something fun about when you get to the last point in DoD/BF and it becomes this absurd meat grinder until finally you break through.

I liked in Bad Company 2 when it would then show an overhead shot of the maps, and the one in particular that cut through a city/town and you could see like these lines of where the battle went because everything was leveled but then there'd be buildings standing along one path that hadn't seen too much fighting.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 06:39:22 PM »
Its got Zombies, good enough for me.

New Easter Eggs to solve
fat

benjipwns

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 06:41:57 PM »
One thing I loved about Company of Heroes is that there was a point to firing artillery randomly at buildings and crap, to eliminate them as cover/defenses. BC2 had that, for Rush one map I always made sure to blow the one wall because otherwise the defenders could camp in it until it got shelled enough, but if you made a backdoor...
:tauntaun
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 08:38:51 PM »
Bad Company 2 was such a good game.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2017, 04:06:43 PM »

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2017, 06:17:47 PM »
Looks like every other cod game with a ww2 skin.

That could easily be World at War or certain black ops 1 maps at a resolution bump

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2017, 06:38:18 PM »
Yeah im just not feeling anything with this one.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2017, 06:39:56 PM »
So I've heard from a few places that there are no swastikas in this game? Like at all? Like they swapped swastikas with an Iron Cross. What kind of dumb shit are they trying to pull? Stupid ass watered down fake garbage.
nat

benjipwns

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2017, 11:38:19 AM »
Yeah, if you only use the Iron Cross or Wehrmacht symbols you don't get censored in Germany among a few other countries.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is like the only game that I remember prominently using the Nazi Swastika during the wave of WWII games.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 04:31:52 PM »
open beta is live on pc rn

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 08:37:31 PM »

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2017, 10:48:46 PM »
played one round. it's cod i guess.
nat

thisismyusername

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 02:37:54 AM »
Only played War mode. It's like they want it to be Rush while also not being Rush. :doge

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2017, 09:32:19 AM »
Couldn't even finish a round it was so bad. All the guns suck because it's ancient weaponry. Pass
©ZH

thisismyusername

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2017, 12:24:44 PM »
I don't think it's the "ancient weaponary" just that they don't have decent hip-fire/ADS guns and the attachment system is wonky. :-\

You can't put a dot sight on the weapon along with a hip-fire laser (WTF, these weren't even in WW2. *sigh*), to buff accuracy in both ADS and hip-fire. The starting SMG is ass.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2017, 12:36:59 PM »
gotta go rifleman in this

N0brainner

« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2017, 02:20:28 PM »
Is this the COD that Shroud has been streaming lately or am I thinking of a different one

jizzoh
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:22:13 PM by N0brainner »

benjipwns

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2017, 09:14:43 PM »
Only played War mode. It's like they want it to be Rush while also not being Rush. :doge
The most similar mode is from Day of Defeat. The paratrooper maps, most notably Glider. But also ones like Charlie and Zalec.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2017, 10:59:02 AM »

thisismyusername

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2017, 04:37:54 PM »
The most similar mode is from Day of Defeat. The paratrooper maps, most notably Glider. But also ones like Charlie and Zalec.

I never played DoD, so I wouldn't know.

The bridge section is brutal on that only map in the beta though. And there's no way to flank under the bridge as you can't go up to the enemy spawn to clear them out. It's "why would you even bother letting us go under the bridge then?" You can't go back up outside of the stairs which is covered by the HMG. Entirely pointless.

Map design is typical CoD with a bunch of stupid choke-point decisions.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2017, 02:31:32 AM »
War mode seems like an incredibly shitty mode that will just funnel people to kill spots. I really don't understand this idea that prevails modern online FPS.

"Here's a map. Now lets block most of it so you kill each other real quick"

It's worst here because I guess they think gamers are stupid and wont go for the objective if they aren't super funneled to it. Meaning you have no real options in how you attack.

I was interested in this mode, but now it's basically like Halo 5's new mode and it's non-ai variant. Where most of the map is cut off, allowing no breathing room and tons of spawn killing.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:57:06 AM by Rahxephon91 »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2017, 02:44:22 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2017, 06:01:00 AM »
trench gun with incendiary rounds and molotov and tactical unlock is ultimate trollin  :neogaf

nobody knows what to do when they're suddenly on fire and it's everywhere, if they don't die immediately, i totally ignore dudes once i see i hit them with the flames

totally should have got BRONZE STAR PLAY OF THE GAME BROUGHT TO YOU BY DORITOS for looping around to come up behind basically the entire other team on hardpoint and unloading my incendiary rounds into their backs which caught them on fire and then mowed them down with the rest and let me capture the point and we won by one point 250-249...i should have at least screenshotted the chat with all the "oh my godddd" "what just happened" "why is there so much fire" :lol

instead it was some sniper dude from earlier in the round like always

also you can totally load regular rounds behind the incendiary ones, dudes think your out and them boom in their face :dead

benjipwns

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2017, 06:05:59 AM »
also lol at dudes using autoaim and wallhacks in a open beta and trying to play it off like it lucky when there's a killcam and then everyone gets to see him wipe the map and continue jerking at 45 degree angles while standing in spawn during the bronze star part

like you can't even wait for the real game, totally need those extra days :lol

thisismyusername

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2017, 10:44:02 AM »
also you can totally load regular rounds behind the incendiary ones, dudes think your out and them boom in their face :dead

Wait, you mean the reloading animation between the rounds doesn't count? :doge :ohh Guess it makes sense in the typical FPS reloading cancel "glitch" way.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2017, 12:31:27 PM »
was having a rough time with the shotty guess i gotta give it another shot

EDIT:
lol nvm benji was right
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:48:32 PM by toku »

benjipwns

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2017, 01:52:29 PM »
Wait, you mean the reloading animation between the rounds doesn't count? :doge :ohh Guess it makes sense in the typical FPS reloading cancel "glitch" way.
It normally holds seven rounds. When you hit the button to load the incendiary rounds he empties and only loads those four, if you hit reload he loads in three regular rounds behind them. Same with any variation 2 incendiary, reloads in five.

But you can also cancel the reload so you don't have to reload in all the rounds, I found it was sometimes better to reload a round or two before I pop out and fire again. At the range in toku's clip thing is instakill, but it spreads enough I saw people fleeing back at twice the distance because they get hit. The slower pace and the weapons makes it easier to survive taking a non-lethal hit if you can drop back to cover, whereas recent CoD's as soon as you saw the hit indicator you were usually dead before you could react.

I wasn't bothering to bring up the sights, the distances are all so short in the middle of most of the maps. Getting shot in the back more than anything because I'd go past a hiding guy to attack two other dudes. Really like the recon plane for letting me know I can close the gap before they know I'm doing it intentionally. :lol

I have played only Domination and Hardpoint, so bum-rushing the points blasting was a highly viable tactic. :doge

Speaking of which I like how your dude (or lady) yells out the mode since there's no announcer. It's silly.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 02:01:41 PM by benjipwns »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2017, 12:49:20 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2017, 01:56:05 PM »
oh god i didn't even notice the garand eject until he mentioned it, then i rewatched some trailers :rofl

mmm footage of incendiary and molotov trollin tho :lawd

i assumed because Sledgehammer went with the scorestreaks that let you keep some level of progress towards them through death in AW that the full game would have something like this and it was just one of the betas limitation

Treyarch is the one who doesn't allow any form of that, IW has allowed it in every game since MW3

gathering $10 million for patreon
[close]

Syph

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2017, 12:57:54 AM »
I'll be honest, I preordered for PS4 and am hyped. After the disappointment that was IW and MW remastered, I'm looking forward to a boots on the ground game where I know the garbage DLC landscape ahead of time, so my dreams won't be shattered like they were with MW remastered.

Anyone else still picking this up?
XO

regenhuber

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2017, 03:49:31 AM »
I'll be honest, I preordered for PS4 and am hyped. After the disappointment that was IW and MW remastered, I'm looking forward to a boots on the ground game where I know the garbage DLC landscape ahead of time, so my dreams won't be shattered like they were with MW remastered.

Yup. PS4 version.
If get 2-3 good nights of CoD play out of it, I’ll be fine.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2017, 03:53:55 AM »
I hope the zombies mode is good, I love hunting and doing the easter eggs.
fat

Para-Medic

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2017, 04:16:27 AM »

Me on PS4 Pro. Prefer Battlefield and Rianbow Six normally, but BF1 is boring and Rainbow Six is an on/off shitshow, so I'm hoping a jump back to WW2 with COD is interesting for at least a little bit.

Also for those curious I do believe the Trophy/Achievement lists are up. Good mix of Story/Zombies.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2017, 10:59:54 AM »

If I had a console I'd def. be getting it. Enjoyed the beta more than I'd care to admit and I was a weirdo who liked AW so.

regenhuber

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2017, 11:12:54 AM »

If I had a console I'd def. be getting it. Enjoyed the beta more than I'd care to admit and I was a weirdo who liked AW so.

How "oldschool" is WWII in terms of TDM tactics?
CoD kinda lost me as a series, because after MW3 I though the spawn mechanics were pretty annoying... too many hotspots... sightlines and fragmentation.

Syph

« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2017, 04:11:10 PM »

Me on PS4 Pro. Prefer Battlefield and Rianbow Six normally, but BF1 is boring and Rainbow Six is an on/off shitshow, so I'm hoping a jump back to WW2 with COD is interesting for at least a little bit.

Also for those curious I do believe the Trophy/Achievement lists are up. Good mix of Story/Zombies.
I've been playing B4 and Siege but after a while I always get that COD itch
And yea they even gave us some multiplayer trophies for once which is kinda nice
XO