Author Topic: Metroid is back, Nintendo wins E3 [i]again[/i] :rejoice  (Read 12237 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Metroid is back, Nintendo wins E3 [i]again[/i] :rejoice
« on: June 13, 2017, 01:31:22 PM »

Nintendo does it again, baby. :patel he_cant_keep_getting_away_with_it.gif
dog

seagrams hotsauce

Re: Metroid is back, Nintendo wins E3 [i]again[/i] :rejoice
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 01:41:42 PM »
those 3ds graphics  :kobeyuck

4 will come out between Shenmue 3 and FFVIIRM

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 01:57:08 PM »
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 01:58:39 PM »
eh is not like the team on it is working on something unfamiliar. I wouldn't see why there's be big delays.
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 02:00:38 PM »
eh is not like the team on it is working on something unfamiliar. I wouldn't see why there's be big delays.

And Retro's been quiet for a while now, so I wouldn't be surprised if this has been knocking for a year or so. Still probably looking at a late-2018 release, though.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 02:06:49 PM »
Is Prime 4 going to (hopefully) be the first Prime game that can be played with dual analog sticks on a controller?
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 02:08:58 PM »
those 3ds graphics  :kobeyuck

4 will come out between Shenmue 3 and FFVIIRM

One of these is by a publisher that announces games before their release 12 months later at most.

One of these is a Kickstarter game that just got delayed an entire year.

One of these is episodic and in a series where the last mainline game took over 10 years from announcement to release.

Will leave it up to you which is more likely to come out on-time.

Tasty

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 02:12:27 PM »
Retro Studios helped usher Metroid into the third dimension with the Metroid Prime series, but they aren’t working on Metroid Prime 4.

Nintendo wouldn’t say who exactly is working on this new first-person adventure, but senior product marketing manager of Nintendo of America Bill Trinen said that Nintendo designer and producer Kensuke Tanabe is helping lead the project alongside a “A talent new development team.” Tanabe previously worked as a producers on the first three Prime games as well as newer releases like Paper Mario: Color Splash and Donkey Kong Country Returns, so hopefully Metroid Prime 4 is in good hands

:trigger

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 02:13:37 PM »
Retro Studios helped usher Metroid into the third dimension with the Metroid Prime series, but they aren’t working on Metroid Prime 4.

Nintendo wouldn’t say who exactly is working on this new first-person adventure, but senior product marketing manager of Nintendo of America Bill Trinen said that Nintendo designer and producer Kensuke Tanabe is helping lead the project alongside a “A talent new development team.” Tanabe previously worked as a producers on the first three Prime games as well as newer releases like Paper Mario: Color Splash and Donkey Kong Country Returns, so hopefully Metroid Prime 4 is in good hands

Could be worse.  For a second there...I thought it was going to say Mercury Steam was making Prime 4 too.  :lol
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 02:15:08 PM »

Okay, now this is news I'm not happy with.

Now the question is who the heck IS developing it?
dog

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 02:15:26 PM »

Could be worse.  For a second there...I thought it was going to say Mercury Steam was making Prime 4 too.  :lol
I gotchu fam, we'll get Ninja Theory to make Prime 4

etiolate

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 02:15:56 PM »
Hopefully someone digs up who is working on Prime 4.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 02:17:13 PM »

Respawn.

Tasty

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 02:20:23 PM »

Internal Nintendo team at Kyoto + (rumored) help from a European developer.

Tasty

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 02:20:47 PM »

:dead I would have laughed so hard. :lol

Tasty

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2017, 02:25:57 PM »
http://kotaku.com/metroid-samus-returns-announced-for-3ds-1796061273

• Samus now has free-aiming; you can point her arm cannon with a full 360-degree range of motion.
  • Samus has a Melee Counter: Right before an enemy charging at you hits your body, you can press X to knock them away and score a counter hit.
  • “Aeion abilities” are a new feature not in the original, giving Samus different abilities that are not suit upgrades. They’re limited abilities that rely on an energy gauge. One, called “Scan Pulse,” lets you display more of the game’s mini-map in a small area around you, showing you where hidden pathways and items are.
  • Like the original Game Boy game, you’re hunting down Metroids right from the get-go, and you have a Metroid detector to let you know they’re nearby.
  • You can use “map pins” to remind yourself to visit a location later once you have a new ability.
  • Metroid fights use the Melee Counter, too; the Alpha Metroid Samus goes up against has a highly-telegraphed charge slam that you can counter, to open him up for a damage opportunity.
  • The game’s soundtrack is being composed by two of the composers from the SNES game Super Metroid.
  • You can load up a menu seemingly at any time and return yourself to the “Last Checkpoint” or the “Last Save.”
  • The game does have 3D effects. (Hey, these days with 3DS games that’s not exactly a given...)
  • Going by the menu screen, it would seem as if there are 40 total Metroids (of different evolutions) scattered about the game for you to take down.
  • Samus acquires the Spring Ball not by finding a statue, but by defeating an evolved Metroid.
  • You can bomb-jump. (Respect to the Treehouse lady who did a bomb jump live on stream.)
  • Samus Returns has “Teleport Stations” that let you fast travel between areas. Convenient!
  • The Varia Suit is in the game, which helps you survive in “extreme heat.” You don’t even need authorization to put it on!
  • You lose your Aeion Gauge when you get hit by enemies, too, so you have an extra incentive to fight enemies rather than just run through them taking damage.
  • There are “audio cues” that let you know when to melee the Metroids, one of the Treehouse streamers says.
  • You can use the grapple beam to rip enemies off the wall.
  • We really feel that the potential for the 2D Metroid franchise has really opened up for us,” Sakamoto says.
  • The game will have a special edition with a reversible cover and a soundtrack with 25 tracks called “Samus Archives,” with tracks from many games including Samus Returns.
  • There will be two new Amiibos for the game: Samus in her pose from the Metroid II cover, and (finally!) a Metroid Amiibo.

Seems like they're jazzing it up with Other M combat, which was probably the least offensive part of that game. :idont

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 02:28:10 PM »
remember that scene in Rick and morty where the computer makes the cop's son come back to life and then has him melt in front of the officer's eyes
pcp

Raist

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2017, 04:32:18 PM »
One of the biggest problems I had with Metroid 2 [granted, I haven't played it probably 20+ years] was how it was so, so easy to get completely lost and have no idea where you supposed to go next.

Also, if that fact sheet is anything to go by, it sounds like they're going more for Metroid Prime 1 than Metroid Prime 3 [or they could be referring to those DS games], which I'm fine with.
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2017, 04:55:49 PM »
I remember getting lost a lot because the scenery repeated itself so much. shouldn't be a problem since this'll be in a cart with more than a half kilobyte of memory now lol
pcp

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2017, 05:05:19 PM »
Prime games steadily declined in quality imo so keeping retro the fuck away from Samus is fine by me. I guess this news means E3 sold me on ..a 3DS? :-[
Hi

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2017, 06:34:46 PM »
I didn't expect them to actually announce Prime 4, legit shocked at that.

It's also really shocking to me that they're doing a very similar thing to what they did in the Gamecube era. Release a console Prime game and a hand-held title in close proximity. I think it's a much better time for the series, enough time has passed and people really want it.

I said to myself I would buy a Switch if they announced a fucking Prime game. Now I just need to find one.
nat

Freyj

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »
please please please release 1-3 on Switch and with waggle removal

etiolate

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2017, 06:53:09 PM »
I did not expect Metroid back and I'm happy to see it return. I believe I said I'd get a Switch when they bring Metroid back proper and now I may have to eat my words.

Still need to make sure they don't Other M it up.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:38:28 PM by etiolate »

bluemax

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 07:21:46 PM »
I kinda feel bad for Mercury Steam on this one. Regardless of how good the game turns out everyone is gonna compare it to that fan remake that already came out.
NO

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 01:03:09 AM »
No they won't. I hadn't even heard of that shit until they announced this.

Tasty

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 06:11:34 AM »
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/metroid_samus_returns/b/3ds/archive/2017/06/13/metroid-samus-returns-looks-and-feels-great.aspx

As I mentioned before, I did not want to stop playing. The game plays smoothly, the new counter mechanic feels great, and the ability to to scan the environment will hopefully help reduce those moments where you are exploring aimlessly without clear direction.

:idont

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2017, 07:18:25 AM »
http://www.gameinformer.com/games/metroid_samus_returns/b/3ds/archive/2017/06/13/metroid-samus-returns-looks-and-feels-great.aspx

As I mentioned before, I did not want to stop playing. The game plays smoothly, the new counter mechanic feels great, and the ability to to scan the environment will hopefully help reduce those moments where you are exploring aimlessly without clear direction.

:dunno

They also scored Castlevania Lords Of Shadow: Mirror Of Fate an 8.5/10. :doge

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/castlevania_lords_of_shadow_-_mirror_of_fate/b/3ds/default.aspx
ど助平

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2017, 09:28:05 AM »
Mercury Steam working on this is pretty great tbh. At the very least a much better choice than Next Level Games who are a little too keen on forcing their own disjointed vision on a game.

More to the point, Mercury Steam is a highly competent developer with a solid programming team. Their co-director Jose Luis Márquez was originally a badass programmer.

Nintendo, specifically Yoshio Sakamoto, is in charge of gameplay and vision so any concerns are shortsighted.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2017, 10:06:42 AM »

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/castlevania_lords_of_shadow_-_mirror_of_fate/b/3ds/default.aspx
the fuck is wrong with this guy  :trash :stahp

Tasty

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2017, 10:29:09 AM »
Mercury Steam working on this is pretty great tbh. At the very least a much better choice than Next Level Games who are a little too keen on forcing their own disjointed vision on a game.

More to the point, Mercury Steam is a highly competent developer with a solid programming team. Their co-director Jose Luis Márquez was originally a badass programmer.

Nintendo, specifically Yoshio Sakamoto, is in charge of gameplay and vision so any concerns are shortsighted.

Wrath, bork and Lager 🔥 B T F O 🔥 by an actual dev.

Can this E3 get any better? :lawd

spoiler (click to show/hide)
NLG does make good games though. Luigi's Mansion 2 :lawd
[close]

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2017, 10:32:33 AM »
Mercury Steam  :kobeyuck

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2017, 10:38:48 AM »
Mercury Steam  :kobeyuck

Yup. I'm not convinced until it's out.  And damn, a 2D-style Metroid at 30 FPS?
 :jeanluc
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2017, 11:17:22 AM »
The unparsed BBCode tags in the thread title are triggering me more than anything tbh :trigger

Coax

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2017, 11:45:33 AM »
The unparsed BBCode tags in the thread title are triggering me more than anything tbh

Was going to suggest Unicode instead (𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯) but figured who cares

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2017, 11:46:46 AM »

the fuck is wrong with this guy  :trash :stahp
Not the same guy, Tim Turi reviewed Castlevania.

etiolate

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2017, 12:37:30 PM »

how quickly we forget

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2017, 01:44:28 PM »
The unparsed BBCode tags in the thread title are triggering me more than anything tbh

Was going to suggest Unicode instead (𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯) but figured who cares
That's why there's ** and //

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2017, 01:47:37 PM »
lol i was wondering why fandrex was getting so defensive over a series he doesn't even like; almost forgot the whole fanboy shill thing
pcp

Coax

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2017, 01:57:07 PM »
That's why there's ** and //

I use this on IRC. It's just the visualization of the BBCode was too strong :p

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2017, 02:06:39 PM »
lol i was wondering why fandrex was getting so defensive over a series he doesn't even like; almost forgot the whole fanboy shill thing

It's literally what his existence revolves around

:neogaf
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2017, 02:27:58 PM »
30 fps for a metroid game is unforgivable
püp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2017, 02:54:11 PM »

Watch this get an HD port to Switch six months later.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2017, 03:11:40 PM »
Back to the game. If I think any part of the gameplay itself is worrying, it's the melee counter. It changes things about the formula that I'm not sure I want.

At the end of the day, if this doesn't turn out well, there's always AM2R or Bloodstained.
:rejoice
ど助平

Trent Dole

« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2017, 03:11:49 PM »

:gladbron
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2017, 03:38:36 PM »
A lot of us are cautious about Mercury Steam's involvement

............... nintendo how fucking dare you

Mercurysteam
Literal cancer.

No, it's Mercury Stream.  Hype completely deflated now.

mercury steam gets to kill off two of my favorite childhood franchises. why is this happening

I take it you haven't played a Mercury Stream game before.

whatever; i don't know shit about it and I'm just freaking out right now.
[close]

"cautious"

You freaked out more on Twitter than you did here for the record, but quickly reigned it in, so props there.
[close]

I'm not sure why any of you think Sakamoto being in charge of gameplay would ease anybody's concerns.

Sakamoto's always been very solid with gameplay (weird FPS mode in Other M notwithstanding), it's the story where he started to lose the plot - and which thankfully is already pretty set in stone by virtue of this being a remake.

I dunno, I was watching the stream and thinking "this looks pretty cool for a Metroid game" and then I come on the Bore and everyone's Chicken Littling over the developer. Seemed discordant.

It's literally what his existence revolves around

:neogaf

Wouldn't do it if you didn't make it so worthwhile, boo.

Tasty

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »
Back to the game. If I think any part of the gameplay itself is worrying, it's the melee counter. It changes things about the formula that I'm not sure I want.

At the end of the day, if this doesn't turn out well, there's always AM2R or Bloodstained.
:rejoice

Hmm, would Bloodstained be a good substitute? Metroid II predates Metroidvania's start (SotN) that Bloodstained is mostly inspired by.

Tasty

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2017, 03:42:02 PM »

I can't imagine them doing much to it if they did. Jumping it from 240p to 1080p, upping it to 60fps, and maybe cleaning up the textures if we're lucky.

On the other hand I could easily see this hitting a 3DS VC on Switch, if that ever happens.

etiolate

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2017, 03:49:19 PM »
Other M's gameplay was completely unremarkable. Underneath the flashy action moves was an often wonky and always shallow play experience with amateur level design.

Raist

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2017, 04:19:49 PM »
Good lord what happened to this thread.

etiolate

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »
Other M's gameplay was completely unremarkable. Underneath the flashy action moves was an often wonky and always shallow play experience with amateur level design.

And let's not forget how it's all tied to a terrible control scheme. I really don't like this revisionist history of Other M being bad because of just narrative, that game was a disaster on all fronts.

That apparently Team Ninja advised against, but which Sakamoto was determined to stick to against all else. As if a NES pad was somehow key to the game being 2d.

Trent Dole

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2017, 04:38:31 PM »
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2017, 04:48:14 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2017, 05:18:10 PM »

nintendorks who pretend not to be nintendorks anymore + unabashed nintendorks
dog

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2017, 06:06:44 PM »
The unparsed BBCode tags in the thread title are triggering me more than anything tbh :trigger
:noah

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2017, 06:18:16 PM »

nintendorks who pretend not to be nintendorks anymore + unabashed nintendorks

Welcome back to the fold, brother.

I never left, breh. :patel

Except for the Wii U, which was obviously DOA almost from start. But I have played a lot of Xenoblade Chronicles X, beat Breath of the Wild on Wii U, and intend to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions eventually.
[close]
dog

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2017, 07:52:33 PM »
Why isn't this cel shaded

etiolate

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2017, 07:52:58 PM »
I have been out of the console game for awhile due to all the games I want also being on PC.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2017, 09:55:23 PM »
they just just do a HDish version super metroid

please
dur

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2017, 10:17:15 PM »
nah i wish though