Author Topic: Super Mario Odyssey thread of real 3D Mario is back.  (Read 58618 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Super Mario Odyssey thread of real 3D Mario is back.
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2017, 05:05:11 AM »
still dont get posting a bob omb summit vid to "drill your point in". there's next to no platforming.

the platforming was pretty ghetto in 64 too. that camera  :trash
:success

crash bandicoot was a better 3d platformer than sm64  :mynicca
:huh

Himu

« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »
Himu is the only person making sense in this thread.

I'm really curious. How so?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2017, 05:19:04 PM »
Yeah and, okay,"it's early in the game" can be a good in favor for Odyssey. Except they've showed off three worlds. By the time you hit Noki Noki Bay in Sunshine or Whomp Whomp's in 64, the platforming is fully on. Yet the platforming we see in all three worlds is...well.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2017, 09:14:36 PM »
tick tock clock and that magic carpet level were fucking demonic and meet the internationally-accepted definition of torture
pcp

Himu

« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2017, 09:24:12 PM »
"You've only seen the overworlds" makes no sense. Since fucking when is Mario about overworlds and not jumping on shit with timed precision? Even in 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy which have hubs, they're mostly a side distraction to the actual meat of the game: courses.

In any case we already know how the overworlds function: you use moons to unlock new worlds. These are three completely separate worlds. They are not connected. You get to them via the space ship.
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2017, 10:02:36 PM »
Nothing like a new flagship Nintendo project to inspire endless arguments. :-[
Hi

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2017, 11:29:18 PM »

looks fucking great
püp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2017, 12:05:59 AM »
lmao i finally get to hear a real Italian describe Mario. this is hilarious.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2017, 12:28:13 AM »
Looks surprisingly okay. That looked like the best world they've shown yet, not only in terms of visual design but also exploration. There's a lot of points when watching the video where I'm left with "what's that? I want to go over there. How do you get over there?" Unfortunately,  the gameplay appear to be chock full of filler still and the focus is clearly not on platforming and not even in a traditional 3D platformer way which do tend to mold exploration with platforming. If you like exploring worlds this should be your Mario game. It's a shame too because the double jump with the hat is new to me and really cool but I'm not seeing a game where taking advantage of such abilities will get much use. Aside the from visuals the actual construction of the world doesn't leave much of an impression and collecting moons seems to have taken the collecting aspect of 3D Mario to a ridiculous degree.

Not as bad as New Donk (probably the worst Mario world I've ever seen), but it's no Freeze Flame Galaxy, Melty Molten Galaxy, Flip Switch Galaxy, or Toy Time Galaxy.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2017, 01:14:52 AM »

:whew

I need to replay this so bad when I get my Wii U. Now that's a Mario game. Lord have mercy. :lawd
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2017, 10:07:34 AM »
You want a Galaxy style game.  This isn't a Galaxy style game.  This is a Mario 64/Sunshine style game.
püp

Himu

« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2017, 12:51:47 PM »
64 and Sunshine are actual platformers. This isn't 64 or Sunshine style at all. How much time in 64 and Sunshine is spent exploring that much? Very little.

To test the merit of your claim, I'm going to post one of my favorite Sunshine levels: Noki Noki Bay. Let's see how much time is spent exploring. To wit, the video is slightly over the length of the video you posted above. So it's a great point of comparison.

Noki Noki Bay gameplay starts at 1:44.

How much time is spent exploring in this video? Almost none at all. The entire stage is a course. To say that Odyssey is 64/Sunshine style is to drink PR Kool-Aid. It's advertised as that, but isn't in practice.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 01:03:47 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2017, 01:43:29 PM »
Alright.  You are dead set on shitting on this game so I can't convince you otherwise.
püp

Himu

« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2017, 01:47:45 PM »
Deadset? :lol I actually gave it a compliment by saying the last world they showed was okay:doge

Sorry for having standards.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2017, 01:51:55 PM »
I will just add one more thing that I think I see where you're coming from – Sunshine's levels, particularly the one you linked, have a very deliberate design, with platforming being the main method of navigating around the level.  What I see in Odyssey is a combination of 64/Sunshine's overworlds and 3D World/Galaxy laser-focused platforming portions – and the focus of navigating around the large levels to arrive at those platforming challenges in Odyssey combines Mario's moveset and his ability to capture things.  So it's not a pure platformer that you're used to, which I think I understand now.

However, this is ticking all the boxes that I like in a Mario game: Creativity, really tight movement, variety in how you approach navigating the world, and tremendous art and sound design.
püp

Himu

« Reply #135 on: September 06, 2017, 04:55:01 PM »

Went to youtube and saw this in the corner of my eye. Another Mario Odyssey video? I didn't see this on Nintendo's channel so I thought it was new. Assumed it'd be wack like all other Odyssey videos.

But...it's not wack. :leon

It has an actual course with an actual 64/Sunshine style goal and it didn't have the player treating fucking Mario like a fucking walking simulator exploring forests and other bullshit. I I I saw some jumpin'. I really liked what I saw. THAT. That's Mario.

Best video I've seen of this game so far and it behooves me that Nintendo has not showed more of this type of Mario gameplay in their media for this game. :idont Probably going after the people who fap to large overworlds? idk.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2017, 05:04:04 PM »
Haha! Looks at the comments.

Maybe my problem with Odyssey is how it's presented:

"This is alien... A demonstration that doesn't have the player dick around in the starting area or pause to look at everything mildly interesting?"

"I know, it's amazing! They actually went to accomplish something instead of trying to show you LITERALLY EVERYTHING! I need to research this more, I've never seen anything like it."

And sweet baby Jesus, that music :lawd

That video ignites my inner Mario stan. Very good video! More please!
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2017, 05:31:33 PM »
Yeah, that looks hot.
püp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2017, 06:05:52 PM »
holy shit you mean this Mario game is going to be a platformer?! who'd have thought
pcp

Himu

« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2017, 06:27:10 PM »
holy shit you mean this Mario game is going to be a platformer?! who'd have thought

:beli

If you've watched previous videos you'd be able to scout the difference between this video and others.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2017, 06:38:44 PM »
i didn't need to watch any videos to know this was not going to be some completely random change of pace for the series
pcp

Himu

« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2017, 06:44:02 PM »
So you've been arguing this time without having watched a single video to understand why I feel this way? You're kind of a jerk TBH if so. And there is definitely a change. If you'd watch the videos you'd know either the way Nintendo is showing the game off isn't necessarily showcasing its platforming or the emphasis of the game isn't strict platforming. Most if not all the official Nintendo videos are not about platforming. They definitely have an exploration focus. There are whole 40 minute long videos where they spend about thirty minutes barely jumping. So to treat my concerns as trivial is either naive or outright dickish.

I'm guessing the levels are larger and the people at Treehouse want to show off this big massive world rather than just showing the objective's gameplay. I'll get a Switch at Christmas and see for myself. :idont
IYKYK

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2017, 06:47:25 PM »
there have been a lot of subtle (and obvious) indications in a lot of their more non-platforming overworld / exploration and mini game focussed vids that there has also been a lot of thought put into platforming. there's a part in a video in new donk city where mario jumps out of some car mini game, hits a lamp post, rather than bouncing off grabs the pole, spins around lands on a beam and jumps around on it. i dont think you just put that level of random environment interaction in for shits and giggles. usually mario platforming is so prescribed (for good, and there will still be a lot no that no doubt), but i have a feeling there will a be a lot of experimentation with oddball (that bench star), and more challenging scenarios fucking around in the environment that won't feel as obvious or prescribed as previous iterations. emergent gameplay.
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2017, 06:49:07 PM »
Well either way, I don't like the way Nintendo is showing the game off. They're advertising it as if it's Zelda. It's really weird. Maybe Mario just doesn't demo well? :idont
IYKYK

naff

« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2017, 06:55:05 PM »
nah, they're demoing stuff that's working really well. every casual i know that is intimidated by difficult looking games is all over this nu-mario (and Switch in general)
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2017, 07:00:28 PM »
nah, they're demoing stuff that's working really well. every casual i know that is intimidated by difficult looking games is all over this nu-mario (and Switch in general)

Ah, so it's deliberate to appeal to casuals. Makes sense from what I've made of the gameplay. Very casual-rific in terms of its design/difficulty so far.

They gonna throw a bone at the more core demographic?
IYKYK

naff

« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2017, 07:04:19 PM »
i mean, yeah, i feel like that's been Nintendo's mantra for quite a while, but they seem to be really nailing the combo of appealing to traditional and new players alike atm.
◕‿◕

Himu

« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2017, 07:06:07 PM »
i mean, yeah, i feel like that's been Nintendo's mantra for quite a while, but they seem to be really nailing the combo of appealing to traditional and new players alike atm.

I thought Zelda BOTW demos were very core centric. :thinking So to see them go from one hit kills from mecha spiders to what's in Odyssey is :confused
IYKYK

naff

« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2017, 07:20:49 PM »
the ads? looking em up, there are two clear winning botw vids with 12+ million views (everything else well below that) that are exhilirating but i didnt see anything that looked difficult, playing into power fantasies where you'll get to play this cool, young, androgenous character explore a beautiful environment and destroy evil. they also ignored a p key aspect of zelda, not showing anything that looked like puzzle solving in a dungeon (there are none in BOTW? haven't played..)
◕‿◕

Tasty

« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2017, 08:11:06 PM »
How about we like, wait until it's out

Or is that too crazy an idea

^

Himu

« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2017, 08:56:01 PM »
the ads? looking em up, there are two clear winning botw vids with 12+ million views (everything else well below that) that are exhilirating but i didnt see anything that looked difficult, playing into power fantasies where you'll get to play this cool, young, androgenous character explore a beautiful environment and destroy evil. they also ignored a p key aspect of zelda, not showing anything that looked like puzzle solving in a dungeon (there are none in BOTW? haven't played..)

I'm thinking of the E3 treehouse demo
IYKYK

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2017, 05:21:14 AM »
Even at the series low point (Mario Sunshine), it still controlled well.  Controls and ease of play in a main line Mario game is one of the least concerns anyone should have.
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2017, 04:13:05 PM »
That's not a concern
IYKYK

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2017, 07:35:04 PM »
this game has looked amazing since day one and every time they show more it looks even better...

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2017, 09:05:13 PM »
I expected him to be harrier. :thinking

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2017, 10:02:05 PM »

HNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG
___

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #157 on: September 13, 2017, 10:04:21 PM »
Mario Odyssey really seems to have captured the consumer and industry's imagination. Nintendo is really on-point with the game's marketing and were pretty brilliant on giving the game plenty of distance from BoTW and relying on their lesser known games to fill in the gaps. Mario Odyssey has been a long time coming.

In retrospect Mario 64 has not aged well. Still deserves all the credit though for it being an industry changing game.

Himu

« Reply #158 on: September 13, 2017, 10:10:02 PM »
Are you still "concerned"?
 :doge

???

What happen
IYKYK

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #159 on: September 13, 2017, 10:11:03 PM »
In retrospect Mario 64 has not aged well.

lol no

I'd like to hear why you think it does. I'm not being sarcastic or making a joke.

Himu

« Reply #160 on: September 13, 2017, 10:19:04 PM »
Really cute video!

Still not sold on how the gameplay looks but it's so full of the Mario personality that I can't help but smile! Really needed that today.
IYKYK

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #161 on: September 13, 2017, 10:20:04 PM »
Queen, buy the game when it comes out. You're going to love it.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #162 on: September 13, 2017, 10:21:40 PM »
:mouf

this game is going to be amazing

Himu

« Reply #163 on: September 13, 2017, 10:24:23 PM »
Queen, buy the game when it comes out. You're going to love it.

I really hope so! Mario Galaxy is my favorite game experience next to Shenmue 1 and 2. Playing it had me in child like delight the entire time. Watching that trailer was similar to playing galaxy the first time. I'll get it! Trying to be positive and not negative.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2017, 10:34:51 PM »
this isn't what a shirtless Italian looks like
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #165 on: September 13, 2017, 10:39:18 PM »

lol no

I'd like to hear why you think it does. I'm not being sarcastic or making a joke.

I'd say that even at the time i felt like it was easy more uneven than smb3 or smw, but still extremely fun even when the novelty of 3d started to wear off. it's a big game with lots of secrets and fun little touches, and (most of) the levels are still fun to explore. the camera is the biggest thing holding the game back, but it was fucking terrible even at release.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #166 on: September 13, 2017, 10:42:32 PM »
Why doesnt Nintendo remake 3D Mario games
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #167 on: September 13, 2017, 11:08:08 PM »
I want a super nintendo switch

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #168 on: September 13, 2017, 11:56:29 PM »
Why doesnt Nintendo remake 3D Mario games

they did remake 64 on ds, then rereleased it on wii u
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2017, 12:07:08 AM »

You've been on a streak lately about being right, don't ruin it now. :ufup

But for real, though, put Super Mario 64 up against other 3D games from that period [Tomb Raider, Bubsy 3D, Jumping Flash, Pandemonium!] and it's not even close.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:14:31 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

agrajag

« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2017, 12:37:06 AM »
Mario 64 will always be timeless because even running around aimlessly doing Mario parkour is fun as fuck and never gets old.

Himu

« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2017, 01:02:35 AM »
haha no one remembers pandemonium. It was all over the place back then and now...nothing.

Nights is great game from that era.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #172 on: September 14, 2017, 02:16:22 AM »
TBF Nights is more of a 2D game with 3D graphics unlike Mario. Sure you can run around but the meat is in the 2D flying.

Mario 64 is a real 3D game.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #173 on: September 14, 2017, 02:42:56 AM »
my favorite game experience next to Shenmue 1 and 2.

I have a lot of brainwashing/skinner boxing/fixing to do to you once I lure you into moving in with me.
serge

Himu

« Reply #174 on: September 14, 2017, 02:48:35 AM »
You will never make me forget Shenmue II!!!
IYKYK

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2017, 03:07:43 AM »
You will never make me forget Shenmue II!!!

This is going to be your "there are four lights" as you're chained to the base of my toilet, isn't it?
serge

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2017, 09:06:19 AM »
Thank you, that's a great response and much appreciated!

I think the challenge with my perspective is that I also think it's timeless and deserves all the credit. However, I strongly believe that it needs to be evaluated from the context of modern design and I think it comes up short in some areas. This was practically Nintendo's first 3D game world and they were struggling with the game's engine while building the tech to support it while trying to cram a game into a meager 8mb cartridge to reduce manufacturing costs. At the time the game was and still is a genuine phenomenon that was clearly superior to everything else out there at the time but 3D game design improved dramatically, even shortly after the game's release, and Mario 64 doesn't exist in a bubble free from critical analysis.

My main complaints are the simplistic environments, technical/performance issues, basic camera collision routines with limited controls, lacking gameplay features in comparison to previous entries, incongruent boss design in relation to Mario's skill-set, and a reliance on a large assortment of simplistic goals with a limited selection of levels for an experience that felt heavily recycled.

You've been on a streak lately about being right, don't ruin it now. :ufup

Take off your nostalgia goggles.

:miyamoto
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:10:20 AM by a slime appears »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2017, 09:11:24 AM »
I would still much rather play the 2D Marios than any of the 3D titles.
ど助平

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2017, 09:30:30 AM »
see i feel like the simplicity of the levels was a good thing, given that we were all trying to get used to 3d controls. who doesn't initially struggle with aiming the cannon or keeping it triple jumps straight? so having stars as rewards for that kind of stuff was good bc it forced us to practice it till we got it right. there was still plenty of room for improvement bc some of the levels just sucked (fuck that second snow level) and there was no excuse for a camera that got stuck in everything and moved during jumps. that's why I didn't omw away from it thinking it was a polished masterpiece like smb3, smw or smw2.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2017, 09:31:31 AM »
I typed all that up at work without getting busted for using my phone go me
pcp