Author Topic: Super Mario Odyssey thread of real 3D Mario is back.  (Read 58958 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Super Mario Odyssey thread of real 3D Mario is back.
« Reply #600 on: November 27, 2017, 11:56:27 AM »
"beat" the game. Probably my favorite Mario game ever. I loved it.

One gripe though:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
What the fuck at the shitty pop punk near the end?  :lol Didn't ruin the awesome Bowser sequence but jesus christ at this Sonic adventure shit.
[close]

Gotta go fast, wahoo!
©@©™

bluemax

« Reply #601 on: November 28, 2017, 02:16:15 AM »
Jaxis can fuck right off.
NO

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #602 on: November 28, 2017, 02:46:46 AM »
save for a few moons, the latter game hasn't been any more challenging

still goty

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #603 on: November 28, 2017, 03:29:56 AM »
The challenging moons are all over the game in the challenge rooms etc. Thats the post game.

Im like 430 moons in and taking a break to play some Zelda now, best Mario game I played since 64.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #604 on: November 28, 2017, 09:14:27 PM »
save for a few moons, the latter game hasn't been any more challenging

still goty

Koopa races have been fucking with me, and some of the 'Sunshine' style platforming levels are throwing me off too... 3D Mario never seemed to control as tightly as 2D Mario, the momentum when turning or stopping/going is a bit too slow.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #605 on: November 28, 2017, 09:28:25 PM »
Koopa races can be fucking bullshit, yeah I’m talking to you motherfucking luncheon planet where the AI runs the line magically running over lava even if the platform timing’s aren’t aligned.

Still beat that shit with my shortcuts.
But so much BS.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #606 on: November 29, 2017, 02:16:54 AM »
Koopa races are where I burned out on the game. When I do jump back in, I'll probably start up a new file rather than finish up the meaningless spare moons I missed.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #607 on: November 29, 2017, 03:20:45 AM »
Koopa races rely too much on that fucking double jump thing uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #608 on: November 30, 2017, 09:15:47 AM »
Koopa races is how the game teaches you to git gud with the hat mechanics.

The Luncheon Kingdom was where it clicked with me on how to do long jump plus hat throw and dive. It's a supremely clever way to get you to figure out that advanced skill due to the purposefully timed platforms never being in line at the start.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #609 on: November 30, 2017, 10:41:05 AM »
Got all the actual moons and bought enough to get 999. Would not recommend either since the rewards are pretty meh.

I think I enjoyed the 3D land/world games better since Odyssey had a lot of different concepts going on, but none of them get fleshed out. I'll grab Oddessey 2 or dlc day 1 though.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #610 on: November 30, 2017, 05:16:54 PM »
went through the game and thought about what would make good coin grinding spots
started with the clouds one in Bowser's Castle but it was boring
so I instead got most of my coins by starting NDC Festival, tanking hits and dying in an optimal fashion on the last section which respawns all the coins, ~250 per go-around
there's also the outside of the Inverted Pyramid where you get45coins->resetwithpipe->get45coins->etc that was easy money if you don't feel up to executing jumps with more precision than a shotgun
[close]
23000 coins later and now I have gotten literally everything there is to get
all costumes
999 moons

there's not a huge reward for doing that but it's cute enough
in this moment, I am free

How do you redo the festival?

sinxtanx

« Reply #611 on: November 30, 2017, 06:44:37 PM »
How do you redo the festival?

in NDC, go to the jam session room (behind Pauline), there's a guy in the top left corner you can talk to to do it again

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #612 on: December 01, 2017, 09:56:04 PM »
Got the Mario 64 outfit.  I'll probably have Mario only wear this outfit for the rest game.

Over 300 moons.  I disagree with what someone said here earlier about the moon set up: if you want to come close to getting even half of the game's moons, you're going to have to explore just about every inch of the level.

Love this game.  There are a couple of weak levels but the rest of the game is extremely well done.  Not sure if I will get all the moons but I'll shoot for at least 500.
🍆🍆

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #613 on: December 02, 2017, 11:23:13 PM »
Got over 500 moons.  I admit that I'm looking at guides and Youtube videos to just find ways to plow through the game.  I don't care.

Edit: I'm just cheating and playing on assist mode for all of these bullshit challenge rooms :doge  I'm at 602 moons now.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 04:37:34 PM by Olivia Wilde Homo »
🍆🍆

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #614 on: December 08, 2017, 04:02:31 AM »

kingv

« Reply #615 on: December 08, 2017, 11:34:54 AM »
I watched it without sound on without realizing it was dunkey.

He’s a womanizer but he’s an expert at throwing knives.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #616 on: December 09, 2017, 07:49:38 PM »
I'm still playing this game.  At 707 moons and got all of the costumes.

After further consideration I still think that the Galaxy games are better but this is right up there with them.
🍆🍆

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #617 on: December 10, 2017, 01:48:25 PM »
At 760 moons but I can't for the life of me do the jump off of cappy while doing the dive.  It's holding me back from winning a couple Koopa races (Luncheon Kingdom and Wooden Kingdom).  I guess it's something that requires practice but after practicing for minutes and still not getting it, I got frustrated and quit.
🍆🍆

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #618 on: December 10, 2017, 08:28:11 PM »
Thank you, finally got the hang of it.  Up to 795 moons.  Might as well get them all at this point.
🍆🍆

agrajag

« Reply #619 on: December 12, 2017, 12:19:03 AM »
Wasn't really digging this that much until I got to New Donk City

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #620 on: December 12, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »
Galaxy was a pretty fun experience but once I beat the game I never went back to it and none of the stages had any clever layouts that stuck with me. Really fun mechanics placed in unmemorable levels that lacked character or cohesion for the most part. Beating Mario Odyssey cemented it's superiority over the Galaxy series for me with the vast amount of additional content.

Corporal

« Reply #621 on: December 12, 2017, 04:10:03 PM »
I only recently understood that weird dance Major Pauline does during her sequence. Sat at home and had some retro gaming let's play videos in the background and recognised a certain tune. Man, there's some really cute fan service moments in this game. Heh.
Pauline is still creepy as fuck though, with her art style clash.

Also, as someone who went on a media blackout pre-release and who was evidently way too good at not falling off cliffs, I just got introduced to the dark wood area by a friend. Oooooooooooh. That is so neat. I had been searching for where those last few coins were... but how are you supposed to find that area on your own, dammit.
!list

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #622 on: December 12, 2017, 08:56:20 PM »
I only recently understood that weird dance Major Pauline does during her sequence. Sat at home and had some retro gaming let's play videos in the background and recognised a certain tune. Man, there's some really cute fan service moments in this game. Heh.
Pauline is still creepy as fuck though, with her art style clash.

Also, as someone who went on a media blackout pre-release and who was evidently way too good at not falling off cliffs, I just got introduced to the dark wood area by a friend. Oooooooooooh. That is so neat. I had been searching for where those last few coins were... but how are you supposed to find that area on your own, dammit.

git not gud, scrub
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #623 on: December 12, 2017, 09:44:33 PM »
Any tricks for the jump rope part or the secret S class race against the yetis in the ice level? Those and the Darker Side are all that remain for me... oh, and grinding for a few costumes which I probably won't bother with.
^_^

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #624 on: December 12, 2017, 10:14:41 PM »
Regarding the yeti class s race, some autists have been able to figure out an invisible wall in the snow that they're able to not trigger and do a shortcut.  For me, it was mostly just making sure that you bounce on the wooden platforms the right way to propel you ahead.  Very little margin of error.

The 100 jump rope moon is easier if you jump using the scooter.  Fuck the 100 jump moon and the 100 volleyball moon.

Also at 832 moons.  Hopefully I can get them all by the end of the week and then I can move on.
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #625 on: December 12, 2017, 10:46:23 PM »
what does olivia think of mario odyssey? curious on his thoughts.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #626 on: December 12, 2017, 11:19:16 PM »
I had no problem with the 100 volleyball moon. Stay in the middle, and hit the ladies every so often to slow things down.
^_^

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #627 on: December 13, 2017, 07:28:30 AM »
Odyssey is a great game, no doubt but I think that the Galaxy games are much more creative overall.  At several points during the Galaxy games I thought "holy shit" but I only thought about that here about the metro kingdom.  Looking forward to getting all of the moons in the game and hopefully there's an Odyssey 2 later on in the Switch's life.
🍆🍆

agrajag

« Reply #628 on: December 14, 2017, 12:56:37 AM »
Odyssey is a great game, no doubt but I think that the Galaxy games are much more creative overall.  At several points during the Galaxy games I thought "holy shit" but I only thought about that here about the metro kingdom.  Looking forward to getting all of the moons in the game and hopefully there's an Odyssey 2 later on in the Switch's life.

Same feeling so far. When I played Galaxy, I couldn't put it down. I only felt like that when I played the metro kingdom and subsequently the one where you fight the octopus. Also, the parade in New donk city was amazing, it was like a celebration of Mario. Doing the 2D platforming that was just like the original DK game while fireworks are going off, that was amazing.

Corporal

« Reply #629 on: December 14, 2017, 03:21:49 PM »
Any tricks for the jump rope part or the secret S class race against the yetis in the ice level? Those and the Darker Side are all that remain for me... oh, and grinding for a few costumes which I probably won't bother with.
The jump rope has a glitch solution that involves throwing your cap at the bird next to the jump ropers, at the maximum distance where you can still talk to it. You talk to it just as the cap is on its way back and about to hit the bird again. When the message window disappears and the cap is just about to hit the bird, you need to immediately roll away so that the bird leaves the viewport. Then you go to the jump rope, do a ground pound boosted jump, and when you are at the highest point of the jump, you turn your camera back towards the bird. This will freeze  Mario in the air while the jump rope counter continues to increase. To get out of this state, just mash some buttons.

Note please: It takes approximately sixteen hours to get to the counter stop value of 99999.

I'd suggest you look at a few YouTube videos that show the sequence in action.
!list

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #630 on: December 14, 2017, 08:35:39 PM »
Got the glitch to work on the fourth try.  It’s still running as I’m shitposting now.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 10:33:42 PM by Olivia Wilde Homo »
🍆🍆

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #631 on: December 15, 2017, 11:17:30 PM »
Got all the moons, got all the purple coins, got up to 999 moons, and beat the second Bowser fight.  Great game (I still think the Galaxy games are a bit better) and looking forward to moving on.

🍆🍆

Clockwork5

« Reply #632 on: December 17, 2017, 06:57:18 PM »

Same feeling so far. When I played Galaxy, I couldn't put it down. I only felt like that when I played the metro kingdom and subsequently the one where you fight the octopus. Also, the parade in New donk city was amazing, it was like a celebration of Mario. Doing the 2D platforming that was just like the original DK game while fireworks are going off, that was amazing.

That was a really cool moment that had me grinning from ear to ear. I would also agree that while Odyssey is a great game, I didn't have a whole lot of those moments. I never played the Galaxy games but I feel like I would put SM3DW slightly ahead of Odyssey.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #633 on: December 17, 2017, 10:19:56 PM »
Made it to the part in the Darker Side where you have to use the beak guy to launch yourself between the swinging Bowser platforms... it looks like I've been getting fairly close to beating it, but it's time to take a break for tonight. Also anyone have any tips for the S cup race against the polar bears?
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #634 on: December 17, 2017, 10:25:53 PM »
64 is hard to beat because of A) Nostalgia B) how groundbreaking it was at the time.

Played a bit of Bubsy 3D with Joe and a slime appears a couple of weeks ago when we were hanging out at his house, hard to believe that actually came out a few months AFTER Super Mario 64. It really makes you appreciate how good Super Mario 64 was in terms of 3D controls, camera, and graphics were in that time period.
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #635 on: December 17, 2017, 10:40:58 PM »
For the hell of it, I was watching this speed run of Sunshine:

It's a much cruder, buggier version of Odyssey (the speed run takes advantage of a lot of these bugs but there's a lot more of them out there in this game) but I think if they fixed a few things, I'd be down to play a Sunshine HD.
🍆🍆

agrajag

« Reply #636 on: December 18, 2017, 02:23:41 AM »
Browser' s Castle  :lawd
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 12:10:02 PM by agrajag »

agrajag

« Reply #637 on: December 19, 2017, 12:09:52 PM »
So I just completed the "main" game, and the question I am left with is... Mario a cuck?

Looks like he got friendzoned pretty hard by Peach. Browser kidnapped her, tried to force her into marriage, yet at the end she shows no preference to either Mario or Bowser, they're on equal footing as far as she's concerned. Mario got played, son.

Pauline is better for him anyway imo

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #638 on: December 22, 2017, 12:56:32 PM »
So I just completed the "main" game, and the question I am left with is... Mario a cuck?

Looks like he got friendzoned pretty hard by Peach. Browser kidnapped her, tried to force her into marriage, yet at the end she shows no preference to either Mario or Bowser, they're on equal footing as far as she's concerned. Mario got played, son.

Pauline is better for him anyway imo

Maybe Peach didn’t appreciate seeing Mario get all up in them Bowser guts.
©@©™

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #639 on: December 23, 2017, 07:56:20 AM »
Started playing it again the other day and randomly hunting for moons is pretty great. I'm thinking my top 3 still looks like this:

Mario 64 / Mario Odyssey / Mario World

agrajag

« Reply #640 on: January 28, 2018, 10:20:59 PM »
Fucking hell.

I just wasted an hour trying to get a power moon. I thought I had to use a giant piranha plant to throw a rock at the glass box to free the moon, but all I had to do was kill the three giant piranha plants.  :maf

On the whole, I still prefer the linear platforming in 3D style of the Galaxy games. I haven't played 3D World, so I hope there is a port for the Switch. I am ready for some sprawling, linear platforming levels. From point A to point B, baby!
My favorite Odyssey world was Bowser's Castle, I really enjoyed the mechanic of flicking yourself around with the bird things
[close]

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #641 on: February 07, 2018, 03:49:37 PM »
If Darker Side is the biggest challenge this game throws at you, I gotta say: "Damn, this game is easy."

Had to beat it for my 6 year old nephew.

agrajag

« Reply #642 on: February 07, 2018, 04:22:28 PM »
There are harder moons to get in the post game than darker side imo

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #643 on: February 07, 2018, 11:05:11 PM »
None of the moons are really difficult.  If I can get all the moons, anyone can
🍆🍆

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #644 on: February 07, 2018, 11:45:34 PM »
if mario is the cooler brother yet still a cuck, then what's luigi into? ball-smashing porn?
pcp

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #645 on: February 08, 2018, 11:33:01 AM »
Pushing up Daisy.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #646 on: February 08, 2018, 11:47:51 AM »
ChristianMingle.com
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #647 on: February 08, 2018, 02:00:08 PM »
ChristianMingle.com

I can see Luigi being the Ned Flanders of Mario.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #648 on: February 08, 2018, 04:39:20 PM »
at ~300 moons and i cant believe there's over 500 more to go. god damn i love this game so much.
pcp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #649 on: November 28, 2018, 06:01:49 PM »
this game still rules
püp

Bebpo

« Reply #650 on: November 28, 2018, 06:05:45 PM »
Yep. Great Mario.

Coax

« Reply #651 on: January 17, 2019, 01:35:36 AM »
Haven't played the game but watching this run is a treat. The non-stop visually satisfying mechanics and skips :lawd Couch commentary and runner are a good pairing. Doesn't miss a beat.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 02:01:44 AM by Coax »

Himu

« Reply #652 on: September 07, 2019, 12:35:06 PM »
HEY. To the cynical fuck Cindi Mayweather who doubted this game.

Games can be good again.

:heart
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #653 on: September 08, 2019, 10:25:26 PM »
It's AGDQ, live speedruns [to raise money for charity] is their thing.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #654 on: September 09, 2019, 08:42:26 AM »
okay
dog

Beezy

« Reply #655 on: March 08, 2020, 11:14:40 PM »
I just started this last week despite having it for over a year. Wtf is wrong with me? This game is amazing.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #656 on: March 09, 2020, 09:43:25 AM »
Tomorrow is MAR10.
©@©™

Tuckers Law

« Reply #657 on: March 09, 2020, 04:38:05 PM »
Every day is MAR10 if you're a Nintendie
:larry

You’re not wrong, here.