Author Topic: SNES Classic launches 9/29 - $80, 2 controller, good games  (Read 29240 times)

Fifstar

Re: SNES Classic launches 9/29 - $80, 2 controller, good games
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2017, 02:41:06 AM »
How long are the OG SNES cables? And are there any reasonable wireless options?

Longer than this, I think about 7 feet, at least the pal versions.

I believe 8bit do does a decent wireless copy of the SNES controller, although the diagonals on the dpad aren't perfect (but good enough for a majority of people judging from gaf threads).

How good did the controllers of the classic nes feel? Because two legit SNES controllers to play those games would be great and a reason to buy the SNES Classic. My old snes controllers are falling apart and none of the aftermarket copies has felt right to me.
They were pretty GOAT imo. I hope these are a little bigger than the famicom mini, because they were so tiny it was really hard to use them. They also weighed less than their cable, so it felt a bit weird holding them.

They were smaller than the original pads but otherwise felt the same? Or do you just mean that the nes pads in general were a bit to small?
Gulp

Tasty

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2017, 02:42:07 AM »
8bitdo wireless SNES pads are god-tier. Add a Retro Receiver and you got pure SNES wireless gaming.

Hopefully they make a SNES Classic adapter or something.

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2017, 05:25:07 AM »
is the euro version different with respect to software? Super Probotector and Starwing instead of Contra and Starfox? 50Hz emulation??  :doge

Fifstar

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2017, 05:42:37 AM »
The pal version has Contra and Starfox instead of probotector and Starwing + games that were nether released in the EU, so I'd assume it's just the same software and emulation as in the US. But who knows, Nintendo might make the extra effort and include lower quality emulation is the cases where it's available  :doge
Gulp

Fifstar

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2017, 05:43:36 AM »
Europe has different games in theirs, I think. Aside from the big ones at least.

Nah, it's the same in the US and EU version. Japan has some different games.
Gulp

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2017, 05:57:22 AM »
US and EU will have the same games. EU and Japan will have the same design.

How long are the OG SNES cables? And are there any reasonable wireless options?

Longer than this, I think about 7 feet, at least the pal versions.

I believe 8bit do does a decent wireless copy of the SNES controller, although the diagonals on the dpad aren't perfect (but good enough for a majority of people judging from gaf threads).

How good did the controllers of the classic nes feel? Because two legit SNES controllers to play those games would be great and a reason to buy the SNES Classic. My old snes controllers are falling apart and none of the aftermarket copies has felt right to me.
They were pretty GOAT imo. I hope these are a little bigger than the famicom mini, because they were so tiny it was really hard to use them. They also weighed less than their cable, so it felt a bit weird holding them.

They were smaller than the original pads but otherwise felt the same? Or do you just mean that the nes pads in general were a bit to small?
Because of the smaller size, they became a bit too light. But in general they feel the same.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2017, 07:08:09 AM »
:respect

Raspberry Pi 3  :aah
Aluminum heatsink case  :hulk
8bitdo controllers  :takei
Big ass SD card  :rejoice
Prebaked disk images from the darkest corners of the Internet...uh...I don't know anything about that  :badass

Seriously. Folks should just say "no" to Nintendo's limited stock and just do this. I mean once you get the OS set-up, it's basically FTPing your ROMs and really: Who the hell has problems with FTP once you figure out how the protocol works?

(Or more likely: You'll have to SSH in but even then...)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2017, 07:30:37 AM »
8bitdo wireless SNES pads are god-tier. Add a Retro Receiver and you got pure SNES wireless gaming.

Hopefully they make a SNES Classic adapter or something.

They already have pads ready to go for use with NES Classic Minis, complete with wireless receivers.  You know they'll be on it. :pimp
ど助平

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2017, 07:51:01 AM »
Seriously. Folks should just say "no" to Nintendo
:foxx

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2017, 09:18:04 AM »
Or I could not and just reserve one when they go live? No wonder you support UBI you lazy fuck
fat

G The Resurrected

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2017, 09:26:51 AM »
I ordered a PAL and AU just to trade for a JP. I Love these tiny consoles and missing out on the family computer pissed me off. I do however have two NES classic consoles, so I at least go lucky there.

I've got all of my notifications up and the pages are on a 30 second refresh. I feel confident that I should be able to get a preorder.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

Fifstar

« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2017, 12:31:34 PM »
Missed amazon.de but atleast I got a preorder at a smaller e-shop..
Gulp

Tasty

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2017, 12:46:59 PM »

Prebaked disk images from the darkest corners of the Internet...uh...I don't know anything about that  :badass

Seriously. Folks should just say "no" to Nintendo's limited stock and just do this. I mean once you get the OS set-up, it's basically FTPing your ROMs and really: Who the hell has problems with FTP once you figure out how the protocol works?

Listen, we all know people aren't really buying these for the games, which have been available for free (illegally) with little fuss for 20+ years.

People buy it because it's simple and it's an official Nintendo product. Consoles vs. PCs on a micro level.

Personally, while I hard-passed the NES Classic, I'll try to get one of these because I like the idea of displaying a tiny SNES in my living room. So much so, I'm already doing it:

But there's still some appeal to having the games digitally, not buying expensive carts off eBay, not changing carts, and not worrying about save batteries dying.

The SNES as a system means a lot to me (:nerds) and I like displaying it as part of my identity. :expert

Plus if I get a final version of StarFox 2 instead of the alpha ROM floating around the net, all the better. :idont

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2017, 06:39:48 PM »
The SNES as a system means a lot to me (:nerds) and I like displaying it as part of my identity. :expert
Andy-kun... :stahp

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2017, 07:26:37 PM »
I get the Raspberry Pi recommendations, I have one myself. The major difference here is that this is a fully legal method of purchasing old software directly from the company and supports retro gaming in a legitimate fashion.

Also this won't have issues with compatibility, won't require any setup, and the OS is far superior for navigation. Sure you can get a Pi 3 and play everything, or you can buy this and just play what you were really only going to play anyways.

Tasty

« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2017, 09:02:21 PM »

Better the greatest system of all time than dozens of pantsu figurines. :expert

I got Friday 13th and Evil Dead posters on my walls too. :idont

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »

I, too, identify as a Super Nintendo.
WDW

Tasty

« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2017, 09:06:16 PM »

I, too, identify as a Super Nintendo.

A sexual SNESasauras.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2017, 09:44:23 PM »
I won $10 from dominos in a stupid "be the quickest to click this link" contest the other day, can't be TOO hard to get one in a world of availibility alerts

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2017, 10:44:01 PM »
hmm, those 8bitdo SNES30 controllers look pretty sweet.... this has two + some hardware you can hack, and games perfectly emulated, for the price of two of those controllers.
◕‿◕

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2017, 04:29:10 AM »
Hi

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2017, 05:23:54 AM »
Seriously. Folks should just say "no" to Nintendo
:foxx

:trumps What has Nintendo done for the industry post-NES?

I rest my case. :trumps

I get the Raspberry Pi recommendations, I have one myself. The major difference here is that this is a fully legal method of purchasing old software directly from the company and supports retro gaming in a legitimate fashion.

Also this won't have issues with compatibility,

:confused Let's continue...

won't require any setup, and the OS is far superior for navigation.

...Except for when you hack it, to do the same thing a Raspberry Pi 3 will do for you. So... :confused :confused :confused

Sure you can get a Pi 3 and play everything, or you can buy this and just play what you were really only going to play anyways.

It doesn't have FF6 4-5, Chrono Trigger, et. al. So no, it has nothing that I was actually going to play.

It's a nice piece of nostalgia to have for the art-look department, but it's impractical in the age of being able to emulate everything. Unless they took the mini-NES hacking to heart and are going to offer publishers a chance to "virtual console" their stuff a la Netflix on this mini-SNES to where you can "buy legal" ROMs to emulate on the system switching them out as you desire, it's less value than the Rasp Pi.

Listen, we all know people aren't really buying these for the games, which have been available for free (illegally) with little fuss for 20+ years.

People buy it because it's simple and it's an official Nintendo product. Consoles vs. PCs on a micro level.

See above. It's only "simple" if you stay in Nintendo's lane, otherwise you're doing the same legwork to "hack" it as you would using a Rasp Pi. So... why not cut out the Nintendo middleman and just get a RaspPi? I say that as someone that has hacked a PSP, Vita, X-box, etc. to play other console games. It's simply not worth it in an age of paying about $30 less for something that can do far more.

https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_pi/comments/6jtyaq/my_thoughts_exactly_seen_on_instagram_this_morning/

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:39:16 AM by thisismyusername »

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2017, 06:17:27 AM »
Usually I don't get involved with "discussions", but

Anything can be made by hand, so are people supposed to not buy products from companies they like just because 1) Some other guy doesn't like the idea 2) Everything can be created if you "truly want it"?

I want it because it's nostalgic, cute and retro. And I want it because it's made and sold by the same company that made the original product that pretty much shaped my childhood. The SNES was my first console, and god forbid me not mind giving Nintendo some of my money for a feel-good product.

I'm sorry a console makes you so uncomfortable. I like the raspberry pi, but that argument is getting old. It's a project, you can't compare a project to an official product that people are mostly buying as a collector's item.

Each to his own.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2017, 06:28:27 AM »
Preordered at two different stores

I better get one this time
What

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »
:confused Let's continue...

...Except for when you hack it, to do the same thing a Raspberry Pi 3 will do for you. So... :confused :confused :confused

It doesn't have FF6 4-5, Chrono Trigger, et. al. So no, it has nothing that I was actually going to play.

It's a nice piece of nostalgia to have for the art-look department, but it's impractical in the age of being able to emulate everything. Unless they took the mini-NES hacking to heart and are going to offer publishers a chance to "virtual console" their stuff a la Netflix on this mini-SNES to where you can "buy legal" ROMs to emulate on the system switching them out as you desire, it's less value than the Rasp Pi.

See above. It's only "simple" if you stay in Nintendo's lane, otherwise you're doing the same legwork to "hack" it as you would using a Rasp Pi. So... why not cut out the Nintendo middleman and just get a RaspPi? I say that as someone that has hacked a PSP, Vita, X-box, etc. to play other console games. It's simply not worth it in an age of paying about $30 less for something that can do far more.

:confused
I'm convinced you've never owned a Pi. Pis are great but initial setup is a pain in the ass and there's all sorts of bullshit compatibility issues with third party controllers and accessories. It's not plug 'n play and frankly rocket science to 99% of the consumer market who are interested in it. If this little overpriced device gets the vast majority of people excited about retro gaming, has the best UX, works out of the box with everything you need, and is filled with top tier games; it's clearly the better product for most people.

I'm not telling you to stop thievin'. I'm just saying, if you're being paid above minimum wage you're probably adult enough to buy your entertainment.
 :putin

chin-up virgin, there's a lady out there who'll be impressed with your rom ftp skillz

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:52:26 AM by a slime appears »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2017, 09:43:43 AM »
You wouldn't steal a car :ufup

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2017, 09:45:42 AM »
Pi is overrated, stay basic

bitch
fat

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2017, 12:03:37 PM »
In the pre-min NES world I would've been ecstatic about this. After that whole fiasco? Nah, not gonna bother getting any hopes of getting one.
Can't you even get it secondhand? Most were scalped here, so they're still being sold secondhand. But I know it never reached some European countries that had it up for preorder.
Oh I totally could, but it comes down to a matter of cost. I'm willing to pay $60 for a cute rom box. Hell, I'd probably go up to $80. But I'm not going to pay $200+ which is what people are asking.
que

Tasty

« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2017, 12:23:19 PM »
:confused
I'm convinced you've never owned a Pi. Pis are great but initial setup is a pain in the ass and there's all sorts of bullshit compatibility issues with third party controllers and accessories. It's not plug 'n play and frankly rocket science to 99% of the consumer market who are interested in it. If this little overpriced device gets the vast majority of people excited about retro gaming, has the best UX, works out of the box with everything you need, and is filled with top tier games; it's clearly the better product for most people.

I'm not telling you to stop thievin'. I'm just saying, if you're being paid above minimum wage you're probably adult enough to buy your entertainment.
 :putin

chin-up virgin, there's a lady out there who'll be impressed with your rom ftp skillz

(Image removed from quote.)

S L A Y E D B O Y S

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2017, 12:40:23 PM »
A Pi is not hard to setup friends. Then again I build obscure use *nix machines for fun so eh, be aware of my privilege etc

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2017, 05:31:43 PM »
A Pi is not hard to setup friends. Then again I build obscure use *nix machines for fun so eh, be aware of my privilege etc

Don't have to use a Pi.  A Windows PC or Android device also works well. Or if you've got an NES Mini...hack that.  :) 

But that's not the point.  People want the SNES Mini because it's nostalgic and collectable just like the original was.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

naff

« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2017, 08:17:22 PM »
we get it. building your own lil machine can be satisfying and cool, is more general purpose THE POSSIBILITIES R ENDLESS. but what are the practicalities?

SNES Classic: roms installed and tested with better (read: accurate) emulation than any other emulation available, built and housed w nice a e s t h e t i c s, 2 controllers - $140

NZD not USD:
RPi Model A+ (equiv-ish to nes mini spec) - $45
2x Generico USB SNES controllers - minimum $40
microsd card - $10
nice-ish case $20
5 - 10 hours at least getting everything setup depending on how nitpicky you are about having a nice to use setup: order components, put together hardware, dl, install and configure loads of shit (OS, drivers, emulators, roms, patches), develop custom settings for each rom, package roms up with custom settings, have different games running on different emus coz zsnes won't work well for everything and you will possibly encounter game breaking bugs at points in the game anyway, but you can also get the maybe better versions of games e.g. GBA FFVI patched with SNES sound (probably not worth it for slightly better translation/additional post-game)..... etc.

tl;dr the RPi is a bitch to set-up and even with a bunch of time spent getting things working as accurately as possible your experience will not be as true to the original as buying this, plugging and playing.

◕‿◕

Tasty

« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »
SNES Classic is only $80 actually.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2017, 09:42:46 PM »
Because I want to make sure we keep having the same discussion, I just want to say any ol laptop off the shelf with an hmdi out (optional) + xbone controller you should already own = infinite emulation, and I have/use that set up all the time, great stuff -- but this thing is authentic and isn't cheapened by me abusing the fuck out of save states relentlessly

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2017, 09:43:15 PM »

Read it again, whole post, sugar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2017, 09:49:17 PM »
If its like the NES Classic, you will have the ability to abuse save states all the same
fat

naff

« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2017, 11:00:22 PM »

sry, as stated underneath first quote for $ im talking in NZD, i couldnt be bothered working out what USD prices were for RPi stuff
◕‿◕

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: June 28, 2017, 11:08:05 PM »
Again, you don't need a Pi.  You could get one of those little Windows 10 stick PCs if you wanted to for what...$100?  $20 more than the SNES.  Just about everyone is already going to have controllers to use.

You're also assuming the SNES Mini will be hackable like the NES Mini was.  Maybe they'll change the power adapter type and stop people from doing it.  I kind of doubt it, but still.
ど助平

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2017, 01:03:48 AM »

Don't have to use a Pi.  A Windows PC or Android device also works well. Or if you've got an NES Mini...hack that.  :) 

But that's not the point.  People want the SNES Mini because it's nostalgic and collectable just like the original was.
I only made that post because it was claimed setting up a Pi was hard, I do understand why people want this.

tl;dr the RPi is a bitch to set-up and even with a bunch of time spent getting things working as accurately as possible your experience will not be as true to the original as buying this, plugging and playing.
It's not though. You can download puppet or chef scripts that will just do it all for you.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2017, 01:04:48 AM »
Friday morning FRIDAY morning Thursday night for pacific folks possibly

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2017, 01:23:59 AM »
For what stores? Stop makin shit up Bz and help me get one
fat

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2017, 01:37:45 AM »
I wonder if they'd do N64 as well, I'd be super interested in that. Doubt they ever do gamecube and up.

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2017, 01:43:57 AM »
Like with the NES mini, I have 95% of the games/good games on it already. Never played Star Fox 1, so not really excited for 2. Hope you guys that want it can actually get ahold of it.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2017, 01:45:48 AM »
For what stores? Stop makin shit up Bz and help me get one

It's showing up in the warehouse system in store and it usually shows up there first and then the rest of the system a day or two after. That's how I know when Amiibo/Collectors editions are gonna go up on bestbuy.com. Then all you have to do is wait for the refresh. Bestbuy orders should be OMS'able sometime after server refresh, so if it sells out in your area get your ass to a store and steal it from another warehouse!

naff

« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2017, 03:07:33 AM »
*Note that a AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging.

The Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System has the same look and feel of the original system – only smaller – and comes pre-loaded with 21 games:

didn't see this when i pre-ordered the other day. just another $25 here. i probably have one already, doesn't state required amps... but. lol
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2017, 03:13:25 AM »
It's not though. You can download puppet or chef scripts that will just do it all for you.

oh yes momo. inform me :rejoice plz link me your magical scripts that will do everything i listed and make setup a plug-and-pray breeze
◕‿◕

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2017, 03:18:11 AM »
You think i'm going to spend 5 seconds helping you if you're being a cunt mate?

naff

« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2017, 04:28:15 AM »
 :umad whoa, so there are such magical scripts and that's not just hyperbole?

comes across quite elitist saying "it's so easy *state love of obscure *nix builds/magical scripts we techno plebes don't understand*"
◕‿◕

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2017, 04:40:11 AM »
:umad whoa, so there are such magical scripts and that's not just hyperbole?
Ya, you can literally buy a retro pi kit that has all the hw shit then run a generic retropie setup script that does it all for you.

I enjoy writing these scripts, me and other kunts like me take away all the complexity for others. The end product is for someone that literally wants to buy a thing and just type  sudo ./script_that_forum_kunt_gave_me.sh and have it all work.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2017, 04:41:48 AM »
I'm not in this thread to shit on people wanting the SNES mini, just annoyed that people are still perpetuating the myth that shits hard in 2017.

naff

« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2017, 04:52:43 AM »
:leon very cool, i'll def look into the retro pi if i'm ever in the market for something like that

everything's relative momo, integrating a differential equation might be child's play for me but very complex/impossible for you without a significant amount of learning time invested. i also wasnt saying it was hard, but that it required a reasonable amount of time invested to get a product on par with this, obviously this would change relative to your skill. i imagine there are forum posts that also discuss the best emulators/settings for individual games, and possibly even a script you can use to configure all this relatively quickly.

my point stands that nintendo's quality of emulation is always incredible/as close to the original as you can likely get with reasonably spec'd hardware
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2017, 06:28:21 PM »
Again, you don't need a Pi.  You could get one of those little Windows 10 stick PCs if you wanted to for what...$100?  $20 more than the SNES.  Just about everyone is already going to have controllers to use.

You're also assuming the SNES Mini will be hackable like the NES Mini was.  Maybe they'll change the power adapter type and stop people from doing it.  I kind of doubt it, but still.

Legit question: How /do/ you connect controllers to the stick PCs? 360 Wireless Controllers need a proprietary wireless nubbin to connect to Windows PCs, Wired Controllers require USB, 3rd party usually USB as well…

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2017, 10:44:01 PM »

Legit question: How /do/ you connect controllers to the stick PCs? 360 Wireless Controllers need a proprietary wireless nubbin to connect to Windows PCs, Wired Controllers require USB, 3rd party usually USB as well…

Looking at this Intel Compute Stick model, I see two USB ports, one USB C port, and bluetooth listed among its features. 
ど助平

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2017, 09:43:29 AM »
Dunno if it's possible for your setups but running an hdmi cable from your PC to a TV is the cheapest and best option.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2017, 12:14:01 PM »
do people actually play the games when they buy something like this

i get the idea people buy it and play it like oh hey cool retro gamez! and then quit after 10 minutes and never touch it again

i mean the damn wii had classic games and stuff right you would play it then

and literally any other time

what are the odds you haven't played the games featured on this thing to death? they're the classics everyone already has played to death, not obsure stuff u never heard of

nintendo is entirely based on gimmicks in this day and age
:dayum :what :cac :dunno :cmonson :jeanluc
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2017, 12:15:30 PM »
Dunno if it's possible for your setups but running an hdmi cable from your PC to a TV is the cheapest and best option.

I haven't tried this method, but couldn't you also get a Steam Link (currently on sale for $15) and just stream right to your TV, too?

My PC is another room, but I have an older tablet PC hooked up to my living room TV for media that I can use for emulation and stuff.  Have my NES Classic Mini there, too, plus it's always easy to just plug in the GPD WIN.
ど助平

Oblivion

« Reply #119 on: July 02, 2017, 05:30:09 AM »
Wait, the NES Mini had save state features? :O