Author Topic: Your Top 10 Favorite Video Games of All Time: A GameFAQs Thread  (Read 19866 times)

Tasty

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Video Games of All Time: A GameFAQs Thread
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2017, 11:02:19 PM »
Uno on XBLA.

:thinking

I think I turned off video chat for the reason alone. Hell, people were abusing the Phantasy Star Universe to flash dong on XBL. :lol

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2017, 11:07:21 PM »
4's story about Child Abuse was the only good thing to happen from 4.
I like Room of Angel from the OST. Pretty corny in a not written by a native speaker/translated kind of way, but nonetheless. The Shadows of the Damned soundtrack has a couple songs like that as well.

Tasty

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2017, 11:30:01 PM »
SMAC/SMAX. :rejoice

The best Sid Meyer title. So good it got a GURPS campaign on it. :lol

It really is just the best. It spoiled me so much I've barely tried any other strategy games...

Except for Civ BE, which is apparently the worst one. :lol I dig it though. I'm not sure I can get into a strat game without a scifi setting anymore.

Tasty

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2017, 11:36:59 PM »
The Hoenn Hot Springs :lol

They took the old ladies out in the remakes :goty2

thisismyusername

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2017, 11:43:05 PM »
lol Model 1886 Akimbo. :lol

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2017, 12:11:46 AM »
Yeahhhhhhh I don't think I can.

Himu

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2017, 12:14:45 AM »
I love Mario Galaxy. :(
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2017, 12:16:36 AM »
I haven't played Galaxy yet. I kind of cut out of consoles just before that dropped.

Tasty

« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2017, 12:20:22 AM »
I don't really want to get into it(I did so too much back in my old GAF days) so I'll just keep it simple and sweet: I thought Galaxy was too easy compared to 64 and Sunshine overall, at the time it going more linear when my love for 3D Mario was due to some nonlinearity irked me, I hate the purple comet system, and what was there didn't really do it for me.

Galaxy 2 absolutely surprised me in how it ironed out some of my issues with the first, and I found it's level design and gameplay in general to be an improvement. I love Galaxy 2 while finding the first to be a good game but a step back. I'm very much in the minority on not thinking Galaxy was all that great and I understand that, and don't have issues with preferring it over 64. At the end of the day it does feel like a different style of Mario game, so it all depends on preferences.

I see. As I said in my post, I don't equate challenge with quality, so I guess we're just two different folks. :) Some of my favorite games have been very easy or light experiences, like Wind Waker or Animal Crossing.

Something about Mario Galaxy's gameplay and most of the aesthetic just really turned me off of it, but I can get why people like it.

I think it's the best looking Mario game ever, even including Yoshi's Island. That game in is A E S T H E T I C A L.

(Image removed from quote.)

1080p 60fps collection on Switch which give me the BIGGEST boner.

Tasty

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2017, 12:24:23 AM »
I love Mario Galaxy. :(

But not enough for a top 10 :bolo

Himu

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2017, 12:34:45 AM »
What. I listed it as number 4.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2017, 12:37:14 AM »
I don't really want to get into it(I did so too much back in my old GAF days) so I'll just keep it simple and sweet: I thought Galaxy was too easy compared to 64 and Sunshine overall, at the time it going more linear when my love for 3D Mario was due to some nonlinearity irked me, I hate the purple comet system, and what was there didn't really do it for me.

Galaxy 2 absolutely surprised me in how it ironed out some of my issues with the first, and I found it's level design and gameplay in general to be an improvement. I love Galaxy 2 while finding the first to be a good game but a step back. I'm very much in the minority on not thinking Galaxy was all that great and I understand that, and don't have issues with preferring it over 64. At the end of the day it does feel like a different style of Mario game, so it all depends on preferences.

I see. As I said in my post, I don't equate challenge with quality, so I guess we're just two different folks. :) Some of my favorite games have been very easy or light experiences, like Wind Waker or Animal Crossing.

Something about Mario Galaxy's gameplay and most of the aesthetic just really turned me off of it, but I can get why people like it.

I think it's the best looking Mario game ever, even including Yoshi's Island. That game in is A E S T H E T I C A L.

1080p 60fps collection on Switch which give me the BIGGEST boner.

I really love Galaxy. LIKE A LOT. This post. :lawd I REALLY love Mario Galaxy and it would be my number 3 game if Nintendo ever made a non waggle version. I don't think Mario will get as good as Galaxy ever again.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2017, 12:58:13 AM »
What. I listed it as number 4.

Missed that, woops. :lol

I really love Galaxy. LIKE A LOT. This post. :lawd I REALLY love Mario Galaxy and it would be my number 3 game if Nintendo ever made a non waggle version. I don't think Mario will get as good as Galaxy ever again.

People said the same about Zelda after Skyward Sword (see: Wrath :teehee) and look how that turned out. Keep the faith gurl.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2017, 01:43:22 AM »
I like Galaxy a lot more than 64.

But I never was big on the 64 series of each franchise except Star Fox 64. (And Wave Race.) I think Mario Kart 64 is the worst for example.

I don't really count Majora's Mask whenever I think of them since it came late, I think of OoT, which didn't really grab me as much as the 2Ders ever did. Actually 3D Zelda in general hasn't ever really. The Wind Waker's mystery did a lot for it. And gotta admit the graphics whore in me was lovin that shit.

Maybe I should go back to TP or something some day.

God of War III
Because HOLY SHIT THAT OPENING
This is a funny series for me too. Because you think the first one or the third one usually for one or more of these reasons. But for the scale, design and plot I love II so much more. It goes balls out in Greek lore and references, it fixes all the Gods by making them total manipulative jerkasses unlike the first game which even with a plot centered around it only really lets Ares be so and leaves Kratos semi-justified rather than just as bad as the rest, it has a completely nuts plot that holds together despite multiple trips through time with no plot holes, and the scale of some of those setpiece shots are amazing even on PS2. Like the fucking horses, oh my god. And I knew III could never live up to the ending of II even though it almost seemed it was going to. That fucking ending of II. And the DVD extras with Cory Barlog. :heart :heart :heart I'm still convinced he was like, ha, no way I can actually pull that war off, see ya guys I'm gonna make Mad Max with the Just Cause guys instead, good luck.

The ICO inspiration for the series I think shows off more in II than it does in I, way more static camera shots that present an impression of something of epic scale since they couldn't pull off as an actual sight on the PS2. (And does it better than the select ones in the first game.)

I blew through that game too but I rarely recall being pumped with an ending of a game like I was with II, like blowing my mind here, we're going back and getting the Titans and bringing them forward to have a fucking war over Olympus, it's like you said let's do the best thing ever after what you just showed me in II with all the characters and Greek lore. The only downer is that it's a cutscene. Saints Row: The Third pulling out "Holding Out For A Hero" is the comparable "wait, we're doing this? we're actually doing this?!? WE'RE GONNA DO THISSSSSSSS OMGGGGG" but you get to play it.

II's time travel not creating plot holes by embracing paradox, is one thing that has kept Chrono Trigger on my list above other RPG's, because Chrono Trigger pulls off the same thing somehow. And I like how both games make pretty clear that, like dude, you fucking can't do this because paradoxes, and the answer is "why fucking not?"

Now if you're actually reading this drivel you're wondering so much, but here's where I tie it all together as if the whole thing was leading somewhere. Saints Row IV's "true ending" which reveals the narrator. One of the greatest endings of all time.

And God of War II does the same thing with the narrator, and retrospectively for the first game. (She also is an unreliable narrator and manipulative and Kratos is warned about this multiple times which makes it even better for the third game.)

benjipwns

« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2017, 01:43:58 AM »
Wait, you write all that garbage but yet you've also claimed that Gravity Bone might be the greatest game ever made.

Make up your damn mind.

Tasty

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2017, 01:56:05 AM »
Twilight Princess is underrated.

benjipwns

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2017, 02:06:19 AM »
Actually, that reminded me about some comments I wanted to make regarding Saints Row and its place in my top lists. (Batman: Arkham series has a similar "problem" to it.) As it's the most obvious missing (even from honorable mentions) franchise probably.

I fucking love The Third and IV's plots, the integration of "Power" into a mission changed the series for the better and everytime they go down that road it's brilliant, especially in IV's opener. But they have uninspired maps and boring open world parts. 2 is harder to go back to mission gameplay wise and I don't like its story crescendo points nearly as much outside of the Worf storytree.

It's an instance where allowed one game, nope. But if you could plop a series in, 2-IV probably topples somebody off my list. The first three Arkham games get a similar consideration to me, Asylum is Metroid as a brawler meets Batman, City fixes around the edges and creates the Batman experience the first game never allowed with its lower ceiling, and while Origins is technically stunted, it by far has the best story and arguably with things like the detective events does a better overly empty open world than City.

It also brings up a weird consideration I have. Since these games all released in the same "extended generation" I think of them differently as a "franchise" than I would Mario or Zelda or GTA. Even Call of Duty seems this way because it's basically only existed as we know it for one generation before this one. Especially since MW and BO both finished even if the latter kinda swerves...you can kick out III and plug in WAW since it has clear plot ties to BO.

Funny enough, with my list is that for the obvious Metroid entry, it's this, the Prime series, which only released three games (yes Tasty THREE) and all effectively in the same generation. And I used their collected status in Trilogy to knock off Super or maybe...Zero Mission. I probably still lean towards Prime but it's a bit harder by itself against Super whereas with Echoes it's a no brainer with Corruption being an extra bonus.

benjipwns

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2017, 02:12:55 AM »
Cook Serve Delicious
Have you tried Order Up! ?

It's on Wii with motion controls (which I think are somewhat essential to its best qualities as you actually benefit from flipping pans properly), but there is a free with ads mobile version that just replaces that with finger swipes or whatever. It's basically a similar concept, you're a line cook with a bunch of different stations, you have to serve entire tables and you go through different restaurants, have to get the dishes out close to the same time so they don't get cold, customers have odd requests, etc.

Its success helped inspire whatshisface from GAF to finally make this. Though CSD's design is based more on some Japanese PS1 game.

Himu

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2017, 02:23:59 AM »
Ore no Ryouri. It's a classic and amazing.
IYKYK

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2017, 02:32:27 AM »
We can all agree that SH3 has the best intro music.

Sorry, your opinion is WRONG

:rejoice

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2017, 02:45:20 AM »
Speaking of Saint's Row, I really wish they would fix the Gat Out of Hell thing for PC. Game straight up crashes after about on hour on co-op.

Himu

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2017, 02:59:35 AM »
Saints Row 2 is on my honorable mentions. I can't in good faith put The Third on that list yet but I certainly love it.

Another missing title is Dead Rising. 1 is a total classic and the rest I can probably do without.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2017, 03:32:21 AM »

As noted gaming historian videogamedunkey would say, "Not even close, baybee!"

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2017, 05:48:22 AM »
4's story about Child Abuse was the only good thing to happen from 4.
Anything Yamaoka worked on automatically has at least one redeeming quality thanks to his soundtrack. Homecoming was a bad game with a good ost, for example. Listen to the Downpour ost after he was gone.  :shaq2

anyway

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 06:27:53 AM by Let's Cyber »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2017, 07:04:04 AM »
downpour was released in 2012 and opened with a fucking korn song. what the fuck was that shit
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2017, 09:27:27 AM »

Had this on constant loop in 2009 lol.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2017, 09:58:19 AM »

Lothar

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2017, 10:48:05 AM »
While the music is great, it's the sound effects of SH3 that make me consider it Survival Horror perfected.

You often couldn't tell if the sounds you heard were coming from enemies, sound effects, or the music.  It was much more unnerving walking around in SH3 than it was SH2. 

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #89 on: July 21, 2017, 11:01:45 AM »
Zelda: Breath of the wild My parents bought me the original zelda because they liked the gold case. I didn't know shit back then but oh my god it captivated my imagination. Breath of the wild is the final fulfillment of the promise of zelda and in large part, videogames.

Final Fantasy VI It really opened my eyes to what games really could be. Playing it back in the day was a revelation. I might have gotten too cynical and impatient but really it's a lovely lovely game

Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 can't really pick one over the other and really they both sorta feel like one experience.  Sad there hasn't been a follow up for this.

Super Metroid I remember playing the original metroid and the atmosphere and the feeling of being alone actually gave me nightmares. But I loved it. This took that whole experience and made it better

Bayonetta 1 and 2 Again, the same thing as Mario Galaxy, they sorta feel like the same experience. Such great game play.

Metal Gear Solid 3 The only truly good Metal Gear Solid game. It died, not for honor, but for me.

Wipeout HD The aesthetic, the music, the driving. All great

Castlevania - SOTN Everything but the ending theme in this game is fantastic

Virtua Fighter 3 and 4 I always liked the more strategic feel of Virtua fighter, you feel like a zen master when you really master it. 5 didn't capture that for me, but 3 and 4 did

Doom Not a fan of FPS games, but this one, this is something else.
que

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2017, 11:02:43 AM »
Silent Hill Shattered Memories is one of my favorite Wii games.
nat

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2017, 11:19:43 AM »
Oh Damn it!

I forgot
- Dragon Quest III
- Dragon Quest Builders
- Persona 4
- Skyrim
que

Tasty

« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2017, 01:23:22 PM »
Silent Hill Shattered Memories is one of my favorite Wii games.

Same. It's short, linear, and not very scary, but it nailed what it was going for so well.

Tasty

« Reply #93 on: July 21, 2017, 01:26:46 PM »
Also with the mix of retro and modern titles on these lists it'd be useful for people to say which version of Doom they mean.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2017, 01:29:58 PM »
Also with the mix of retro and modern titles on these lists it'd be useful for people to say which version of Doom they mean.
Let's be real Tasty, what other version could they possibly be discussing?
que

Tasty

« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2017, 01:34:30 PM »
...Brutal Doom?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2017, 01:37:53 PM »
The MS-DOS original.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2017, 03:17:28 PM »
I kind of feel like it's a serious moral failing if you don't have a Civilization game somewhere on your list.
vin

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2017, 03:36:44 PM »
Civilization was not made for those of us with add

on the other hand, it's heartening to know that i'm not the only dork out there who used to listen to those silent hill vocal tracks nonstop
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2017, 03:44:26 PM »
I kind of feel like it's a serious moral failing if you don't have a Civilization game somewhere on your list.

Alpha Centauri > All Civs :smug

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2017, 05:00:07 PM »
Are you kidding? Hey look, Meth addicts love meth, but they wouldn't say its one of their favorites because of what it does to them.
que

thisismyusername

« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2017, 06:00:30 PM »
The MS-DOS original.

The only right answer.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2017, 06:13:17 PM »
on the other hand, it's heartening to know that i'm not the only dork out there who used to listen to those silent hill vocal tracks nonstop
used to?

oh, yeah totally! I agree. I mean, only a loser would still be listening to those. Yeah, no one does that anymore...I mean, at least not normal people.

Especially not me. I would not still be doing that at all.  Because I don't listen to them anymore.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2017, 06:32:55 PM »
.............. i still have them on my phone, too
pcp

Lothar

« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2017, 06:39:34 PM »
I have the Silent Hill 3 soundtrack that came with the game.  I still have it in my car CD tray.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2017, 06:54:08 PM »

I've never played a Civilization game - no interest in those city building/hardcore sim type games... except for the SNES Sim City for some reason.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2017, 06:58:31 PM »

I've never played a Civilization game - no interest in those city building/hardcore sim type games... except for the SNES Sim City for some reason.

Civ is a turn based strategy game.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2017, 07:37:03 PM »

Civ is a turn based strategy game.

Even then, SimCity is super casual. You can pause the timer IIRC and then build with your resources before letting said resources in real-time accumulate.

Himu

« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2017, 07:50:31 PM »
Real talk, I've never bought a Civ. I've played the demos to IV and V and loved both, but every time I want to buy a Civ they make a new one. I wanted IV and then V came out; I wanted Civ V plus all expansions and then VI comes out. Apparently VI sucks though so I dunno.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2017, 11:33:16 PM »
The new ones don't render the old ones obsolete and without reason to play them, especially if you haven't played them. The reason to move on to the new ones is because you've played so much of the old one you could do it in your sleep and for more than half the game you're going through the motions because you've perfected a path for your style of play.

I, for example, is still a decent introduction to the genre though I'd probably suggest II instead since it isn't too much more complex but also has more space to grow with. (Freeciv being ideal for this.)

If you would like I have a key for IV Complete which should run on basically anything Windows or Mac and was until BNW got polished up considered the definitive Civ game. It's also the last of the original square tile configuration Civ games. I also have three keys for III Complete, which is imo the worst Civ game but many like it.

If Queen doesn't want any of this, others can have em. Well, at least two others could get III anyway. I really need to do another key dump in the free games thread.

Himu

« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2017, 11:41:43 PM »
I would love IV. Thanks.
IYKYK

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2017, 12:30:35 AM »
Tony Hawk American Wasteland
Guitar Hero 3
Dynasty Warriors 5
NBA Street Vol2
Persona 3 FES
Red Dead Redemption
Zelda ALTP
WWE Smackdown vs RAW (2005)
Fallout NV
GTA SA

No particular order, close runner ups would be SSX3, Uncharted 2, Lego StarWars 2 (lol) and lufia: the legend returns (gbc actually, and the party member was just MIA)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:56:17 PM by eleuin »

benjipwns

« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2017, 01:20:15 AM »
Lego StarWars 2 (lol)
no lies, game is a 9/10, though The Complete Saga gets the nod for my top x list because not only does it include all the first game they fixed the vehicle levels from that one so they play like the ones in 2

super easy obv but its fun goin back with the new characters you unlock so you can solve all the two guy puzzles

also the game is literally this as a game:

benjipwns

« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2017, 02:49:10 AM »
In fairness, it was released at $20.

BUT a new copy comes with a paper hat like cooks in diners wear. :doge

I forgot there's a PS3 and 3DS version.

The studio later made Tower Wars which is a multiplayer tower defense game that's pretty cool on Steam. Another game I probably have a key for since it says here it's been in eight bundles.

But now they've been reduced to Frozen Free Fall: Snowball Fight, a F2P match three game on mobile and PC: http://store.steampowered.com/app/357480/Frozen_Free_Fall_Snowball_Fight/

Apparently the PC version has been updated with STUNNING HD GRAPHICS tho. I actually played two hours of this according to Steam, I had installed it just because of the studio and the fact it was free and also I like match three. (Who doesn't really.) But back then it was just a mobile port, not STUNNING HD GRAPHICS. I probably should check out these STUNNING HD GRAPHICS.

benjipwns

« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2017, 02:52:52 AM »
Speaking of things I have a ton of keys for...Cook, Serve, Delicious! Apparently been in ten plus bundles.

The sequel is releasing soon! http://store.steampowered.com/app/386620/Cook_Serve_Delicious_2/

I feel like I'm going to, like the first game, wind up buying this at launch just because I've talked to the guy on GAF more than a desire to actually play it immediately. :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2017, 06:59:41 AM »
I've played a good amount of CSD, but that was before he worked with the difficulty curve because it got crazy hard randomly early on, and I never got back into it like many games as he added more stuff

had to use keyboard, was no controller support yet

there's a few GAF old timer references in there, and there's the ryan davis burger/achievement too

I had it and Shatter sitting with Defense Grid 2, Sanctum 2, Borderlands 2 and Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed in my COME BACK TO THIS ALREADY category for over a year :lol

i'm so terrible at finishing things

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2017, 10:18:25 AM »
Silent Hill 2. The best horror game of all time, and I doubt it will ever be beaten.

Ico. Fantastic experience from start to end, I would have SoTC in here also, but I feel like that is cheating on only one game per franchise rule.

Black & White. The game that got me hooked on the God sim genre.

Theme Hospital. Yes. I really used to like Molyneux games.

Persona 4... No 5. No 4. Fuck. I don't know. I think I have to go with 4.

Football manager 2012. Honestly very hard to pick one edition, but this is probably the one I spent most time with. But 2014 was amazing as well, and the old Championship manager games before the name change, were great as well. Hugely addictive.

To The Moon. Extremely short and made in fucking rpg maker. But so good.

Counter Strike: GO. I did play a lot of 1.6 and some of the previous editions of it. But I was young back then and have a hard time remembering. Played a lot of Source as well, but it was a quite frustrating game. GO is... Also frustrating, but it got me properly hooked on CS again. CS is still the best competitive shooter out there.

Metal Gear Solid 2. The best MGS game, and if you disagree you are not only wrong, but probably a grotesquely ugly freak as well.

Witcher 3. They did it again, and they did it better.

Honorable mentions: FF7, FF8, FF12, Silent hill 3, Beyond good and evil, sim city, rollercoaster tycoon 2, the movies, republic: the revolution, Uncharted 2, grin fandango, pro evolution soccer 5, dungeon keeper, the whole gran turismo franchise, half life 2, hyper light drifter, resident evil 2 and 4.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:24:06 AM by Mr Gilhaney »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2017, 10:19:55 AM »
Wait, you write all that garbage but yet you've also claimed that Gravity Bone might be the greatest game ever made.

Make up your damn mind.
Blendo kicks ass, you play Quadrilateral Cowboy?

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2017, 10:22:31 AM »

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

I find your choice of gif highly disturbing here. Fucking volvo. Revolver was so broken.

We can all agree that SH3 has the best intro music.

Theme of Laura is probably one of the best game tracks of all time, not just openers. So good.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2017, 10:27:35 AM »
Theme Hospital. Yes. I really used to like Molyneux games.
Well, they used to be good. Also, fuck littering and heating in that game.