Author Topic: Dragon Quest XI  (Read 43817 times)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Re: Dragon Quest XI
« Reply #360 on: October 04, 2018, 10:08:39 AM »
Want to get through Octopath and Alliance Alive first so I can devote my 100% attention to this.
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #361 on: October 06, 2018, 09:37:26 AM »
Should've made a 30 hour game instead of stretching it with repeating content - but alas, gotta have those 100 hours box checked these days.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 09:43:00 AM by Spieler1 »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #362 on: October 06, 2018, 12:28:57 PM »
Ok since this thread is dead anyway some real talk why this game sucks:

- you are basically replaying the same game 3 times. Same maps, same dungeons 3 times over (Act 1, Act 2, Act 3). Kinda awful.... lazy devs anyone?
- each monster has 3 different color swaps: Normal, Malicious, Vicious. LAZY DEVS.
- true last boss design sucks. It basically looks like this:

(Image removed from quote.)

- Toriyama can't draw villains for shit. The only good villain design in this game is the "last" boss (not really the last boss....) but he looks like Dhoulmagus from DQ8 anyway so...... LAZY DEVS!
- game is easy as shit
- music sucks-ass. Which is weird as I've read that 90% of the music is from old DQ games... LAZY DEVS?
- MIDI music in 2018... no comment. LAZY-ASS KOICHI SUGIYAMA.
- the true ending and post-game basically invalidates everything you did in the first 80 hours. It paints the main protagonist in an awful, shitty way... what about his "friends"?!?!?
- no trophy/ achievement for "hard mode"
9.5/10

Should've made a 30 hour game instead of stretching it with repeating content - but alas, gotta have those 100 hours box checked these days.
Some people do demand this, I'm sure, but I also think the higher ups there think it dissuades trade-ins. Though I don't know how severely they're overestimating people's need to finish their games.

AssCreed Odyssey appears to be bloated as well, but it also has harsh level requirements on story missions. They also sell a permanent XP booster for 10$, so their motives are more clear. :doge
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 12:39:50 PM by Rufus »

archie4208

« Reply #363 on: October 06, 2018, 01:15:11 PM »
Act 2 felt like a good continuation.

Act 3 was obviously tacked on so I won't defend that.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #364 on: October 07, 2018, 11:15:50 AM »
i got sucked in the destiny grind. this is for after
dur

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #365 on: October 08, 2018, 01:51:05 PM »
Just beat it. A lot of the final boss battles had me on the ropes but I came back. Had to utilize my full bench of characters switching the out dead, switching out those with no more MP. Its been a very long time since an RPG made me work to that extent. Fortunately I geared up every character with all the resources I had right before the final battle. This was on Hard Mode. Very satisfying.
:9

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #366 on: October 12, 2018, 09:18:45 PM »
I need to just go beat the game but I want all the accolades.  I can't get all the accolades because jackpot in roulette and a royal slime flush are pure dumb luck and take forever.  Wah.

With the roulette i just went all in on a specific number (17) and all in on odds and black. Basically everything that would get me a payout if it hit anything related to 17 that kept the bets going. Eventually I hit the jackpot and 17.
:9

Himu

« Reply #367 on: October 18, 2018, 03:22:02 PM »
Kinda getting bored with it.

Bloated mess. Easily the worst Dragon Quest. DQ has never bored me before.
IYKYK

Trurl

« Reply #368 on: October 20, 2018, 08:59:50 PM »
God I love this game.
Quote from: Cindi Mayweather
Kinda getting bored with it.

Bloated mess. Easily the worst Dragon Quest. DQ has never bored me before.
This is NeoGAF

Freyj

« Reply #369 on: October 21, 2018, 01:32:35 AM »
Nearing the end of Act 2. 70 odd hours. Really enjoying this. Not sure how far I’ll want to push postgame on super strong enemies.

Erik with 2x Falcon Blade +3s, Divide, Oomphle, San is an insane amount of damage for Act 2.

Freyj

« Reply #370 on: October 22, 2018, 01:05:33 AM »
Final boss is really kicking my ass at ~53 on super strong enemies. Really wish they'd let you swap between that as there's no achievement for it or anything because I'd like to just turn it off at this point but I'm not sure how much / how difficult the postgame is.

Really it's coming down to how lucky I get with landing debuffs. Too many strings of missed Sap / Blunt and I fall behind on the Damage Race. Absolutely ridiculous that Sap, etc. aren't 100% hit on Super Strong IMO.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #371 on: October 22, 2018, 01:39:33 PM »
Finished Act 2. I had my doubts in the beginning but it did
spoiler (click to show/hide)
FF6 better than FF6
[close]
. Excellent game until the "choice" of "Act 3" which I won't even bother with any time soon.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
Re: Dragon Quest XI Officially OUT for US (Sept 4, 2018 - PS4/PC)
« Reply #372 on: October 22, 2018, 01:50:47 PM »
Gonig back a few pages in here

Got to the desert town.

The game actually becomes...a game once you reach Hotto. Now that the pace has slowed down and you’re not constantly being pushed forward, the game is lots more enjoyable.

All that before you reached the 2nd town?  :dead

Himu

« Reply #373 on: October 22, 2018, 02:57:19 PM »
Hotto was the third or fourth town. And yes, its pacing is dreadful.
IYKYK

Freyj

« Reply #374 on: October 22, 2018, 05:32:13 PM »
Just finished "Act 2" on super strong which brings me to...

Excellent game until the "choice" of "Act 3" which I won't even bother with any time soon.

Yep. Fuck this.

I just spent hours perfecting builds and levels and setups to finish the game only for everyone but the Hero to be reset to Act 1? Fuck off. The ending was fine, Veronica should've stayed dead and the postgame content should've just been DQ3 nostalgia.

Why did we even bother killing Mordegon if we're just gonna say oh well nevermind fuck all that let's reset time to bring out friend back to life?
[close]

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #375 on: October 22, 2018, 10:01:11 PM »
Just finished "Act 2" on super strong which brings me to...

Excellent game until the "choice" of "Act 3" which I won't even bother with any time soon.

Yep. Fuck this.

I just spent hours perfecting builds and levels and setups to finish the game only for everyone but the Hero to be reset to Act 1? Fuck off. The ending was fine, Veronica should've stayed dead and the postgame content should've just been DQ3 nostalgia.

Why did we even bother killing Mordegon if we're just gonna say oh well nevermind fuck all that let's reset time to bring out friend back to life?
[close]

Incredibly undermining on multiple fronts. I might give it a shot whenever I finish up with RDR2 and the RE2 Remake but I'm making no promises.

Freyj

« Reply #376 on: October 23, 2018, 05:26:09 PM »
So it seems. Stand by Act 3 being garbo.

Freyj

« Reply #377 on: October 23, 2018, 11:20:16 PM »
Reached the end of the first "trial", still on super strong.

Yeah, I'm probably done here. Whether I can kill the boss in 25 turns or less is completely RNG at this point and rather narrow RNG at that. The only way to reduce that RNG is to power level via Hallelujah / Electro Light and I'm just not sure I care enough to do that. If these were new bosses that didn't have bullshit turn requirements maybe I'd be more inclined to put up with the grind, but the third cycle of reused assets, dungeons, enemies and the absolute dumpster fire that's Act 3's narrative is enough for me to call it a day.

Act 1 starts a little too slow, but hey it's a JRPG and it shares a series sibling with Dragon Quest VII. 75% of Act 1 and almost all of Act 2 are wonderful Dragon Questing. I'd rather Act 3 not exist as it is.

Would be awfully nice if they'd use the DQXI base to remaster I-III, VIII, IX even. With the Switch version around the corner, I'd think those would have legs for years ala the DS / 3DS Dragon Quests.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #378 on: October 24, 2018, 08:28:42 PM »
I'm guessing 9 will be the next to go on the remixing block... it'll be interesting to see what happens with all those grottos and multiplayer hooks.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #379 on: October 24, 2018, 10:00:12 PM »
IX is likely to happen because the multiplayer is now inacessible.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/10/dragon_quest_xi_more_than_doubles_series_record_in_the_united_states?fbclid=IwAR1Wctbox1IPcYmHnB7k16hb_duDh6M0jKWKYm2tUOwGSXqX5Nrt5kAh3Nk

Looks like DQ did it. Horray. *waves little slime flag*
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #380 on: October 25, 2018, 05:53:43 AM »
*reads about filler content*

More like Drag-on Quest, am I right!?

Got em.

Himu

« Reply #381 on: October 25, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »
Dragon Quest games are momentuous occasions. There have been five DQ games in the past 20 years - one per generation/system.

DQXII is not anywhere close to production nor will it be. They’ll continue to make side games ike Builders II and hopefully remakes with XI’s assets. But that’s it. Maybe a DQ Monsters game or a new DQ Mystery Dungeon.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #382 on: October 25, 2018, 01:20:12 PM »
Will probably be a four year wait minimum. Maybe even longer because Sugiyama might be replaced or die.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #383 on: October 26, 2018, 10:34:47 AM »

Himu

« Reply #384 on: October 26, 2018, 02:27:31 PM »
That’s nothing. He denies the Rape of Nanking and other Japanese war crimes never happened. Very bad man. Beautiful music (not in XI unfortunately) but not a good man. As one certain said, it’s best to separate artist from the art with him. He’s just a giant piece of shit in general.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #385 on: January 15, 2019, 03:19:06 AM »
About to get Jade and the Old Man party members. Liking the game quite a bit now. All this talk about the 3rd Act being bad kind of sucks though. Is it grindy?

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #386 on: January 15, 2019, 11:06:10 AM »
Just got to the postgame... any good grinding spots or strategies?
^_^

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #387 on: January 15, 2019, 04:20:51 PM »
Just got to the postgame... any good grinding spots or strategies?

Grind monies (steal Devilry Drinkers from Hooper Doopers in the First Forest Whale Way Station, they sell for 30k each) then buy pep pops for 200k in your home village after you fully rebuild it.

Then do this:

yar

Fifstar

« Reply #388 on: November 15, 2019, 04:14:38 AM »
Been playing the Switch version the last couple of weeks. Great game so far, about 20 hours in.

Graphics wise it's a bit of a mixed bag. Some scenes look great like when you have mainly close shots of the chars, while some of the outdoor sections look like ass. Also the aliasing on the background when the games uses dof is really bad.
Gulp

archnemesis

« Reply #389 on: November 15, 2019, 05:16:20 AM »
I'm also about 20 hours into this. Overall I prefer the Switch version, but exploration works better in the PS4 version. It was a lot easier to identify chests on a 46" screen with less aliasing.

Himu

« Reply #390 on: November 15, 2019, 03:31:44 PM »
Did you beat the game, Himu?

I haven't beaten it. It remains the only DQ I haven't beaten.

Considering checking out the Switch version. I tried the Switch demo and still resent the game. I will get the Switch version to support, as it's Dragon Quest, but I've accepted that it's the first DQ I simply do not like. I'm happy for the games success but if this is DQ's future I think it's best for me to abandon ship.
IYKYK

Fifstar

« Reply #391 on: November 15, 2019, 04:26:47 PM »
What did you not like about XI? It's essentially just VIII in HD, no?
Gulp

Himu

« Reply #392 on: November 15, 2019, 04:38:55 PM »
Hardly.

Watch the beginning to VIII on this longplay.

How long is the intro sequence? 10 minutes? Cutscenes gets to the point and are short. There's not much riff raff talking. You have to find your destination and find that the fortune teller tossed his crystal ball in a cave. Where is that cave? You have to find it. You don't have some loser thief breathing down your neck constantly yapping, with constant cutscenes every step. The game lets you figure things out for yourself where to go.

Dragon Quest in the past had an exploration focus. In DQVII when you get to a village and it's deserted there is not a single cutscene. It lets you sit and marinate in the possibilities of what happened to create a mystery. Dragon Quest told stories by showing rather than telling.

Quite possibly the famous example being this:

In DQXI you have a world that a literal train track. Gone is freedom from past entries. Replaced with constant talking, cutscenes, some character that won't shut the FUCK up (Erik).

Despite being a ps2 game VIII's world is far more open and broad.

I highly suggest playing the first hour of VIII and then XI to see what I mean.

One major reason I love DQ is because it was the anti thesis to every other modern jrpg. During a time when more and more jrpg developers thought a good game was shoving as much cutscenes in your face as possible, DQ said fuck that. Let's keep it old school and had minimal cutscenes. This makes FF tacos mad because for years they shat on DQ for having not having overbearing cutscenes and therefore this of course meant "DQ doesn't have story".

DQXI spits on all that and makes DQ and goes with the crowd, completely killing every reason I love it.

I'm glad it's popular but it's a trash tier DQ game.
IYKYK