Author Topic: Sonic Mania PLUS ~ First Good SANIC In Decades  (Read 28591 times)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: Sonic Mania ~ First Good SANIC In Decades
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2017, 03:24:39 PM »
oh fucking hell himu
püp

Tasty

« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2017, 03:42:34 PM »
I'm not even much of a Sonic fan but this is a must-buy for retro fanatics. Game absolutely nails it.

This is where I'm at. I don't care for Sonic 99% of the time but this game feels magical.

Himu

« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2017, 03:44:06 PM »
I think you guys are buying into the hype of "first good Sonic game since Genesis". Give it a year and see how well it ages. The core mechanics of Sonic are still broken.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2017, 03:48:51 PM »
I think you guys are buying into the hype of "first good Sonic game since Genesis". Give it a year and see how well it ages. The core mechanics of Sonic are still broken.

But I already think the original trilogy is average and I still don't really know the optimal way to play Sonic. 🤔

Even if I think the core mechanics are wonky, Mania is still a very inventive 2D platformer with gorgeous sprite work and great music. :obama

Himu

« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2017, 03:53:48 PM »
The optimal way to play Sonic is by replaying it. The first run you take it slow, see where traps are, make notes. You don't get too heavy with the speed. Then you beat it and replay it, and do it again. But play it with more style as you know the game now. Maybe this time try to stay in upper levels. As a rule, lower routes tend to be easier and upper routes tend to be harder. So a good way of progression is to start first runs on low routes and on replays work your way up until you can do the entire stage with speed and stay on the upper route.

The problem is that this isn't very satisfying. Not like, say, a Mega Man game. Going through a Mega Man game with a no hit run is satisfying. Going through a Mega Man game with a p-shooter only run is satisfying. But Sonic... The games are basically arcade style platformers, but the problem is that there are many arcade style platformers (Rainbow Islands, Elevator Action;etc) that are better and require much more skill than Sonic. Sonic's favorite snack is graham crackers and celery with peanut butter.

Of course, some people like to collect emeralds and go Super Sonic so they can blaze through the stages mindlessly.

I'm not sure how Mania is inventive? It's the same as Sonic 3 and Knuckles but with Saturn graphics. But you would be correct in that style is what Sonic does best.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 04:03:12 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »
Or maybe don't play it like it's a science project and just have fun?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2017, 04:26:20 PM »
you don't have to memorize a route to enjoy a sonic game wtf. the fun in sonic is that there are always options. sometimes you can stop and go explore; sometimes you have to catch it right away or the opportunity's gone. but there's always an item just over there, or an alternate pathway. and since the game focuses on speed, everything is designed in a way to push you forward. you'll never have backtrack after exploring a secret path or get stuck wondering where the "right" path to the exit is. it's freeform in a way that keeps it from ever being dull or repetitive. that's a big part of what makes the games so fun.
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2017, 04:38:35 PM »
Lots of people still go back and play the original Sonic games, so it's not like this all just blind nostalgia making people overlook stuff that's actually bad.
dog

archie4208

« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2017, 06:27:42 PM »
I've never been a huge Sonic mark and I'd put Mania on my GOTY list.  Take that as you will.  :yeshrug

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2017, 06:31:28 PM »
Himu, why did you buy a game that you knew you would hate?

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2017, 06:51:43 PM »
yeah i know the levels in kc are unsalvagable trash but i was hoping for a joke about the crane or something.

in other news i found out that the steam version of sonic adventures doesn't have the fucking game gear games in it. since kega doesn't work with windows 10 what's a good Sega emulator I can use?

Wait, does Sonic Adventure include the Game Gear games in some other format? I didn't think they were ever re-released.

PS Tails Adventure is the mother fucking shit

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2017, 07:56:47 PM »
the Gamecube version of sonic adventure dx has all 12 game gear sonics included as unlockables, including the 2 that were never translated originally. always wanted to get it bc i loved the first 3 sonic games on gg, even tho the first two were balls-out hard.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2017, 08:34:09 PM »
skeet skeet
pcp

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2017, 10:19:53 PM »
the Gamecube version of sonic adventure dx has all 12 game gear sonics included as unlockables, including the 2 that were never translated originally. always wanted to get it bc i loved the first 3 sonic games on gg, even tho the first two were balls-out hard.

Oh shit it does? I have that lol. Do I have to do anything wild to unlock them?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2017, 10:26:40 PM »
you get one game for 20 emblems, so yes you will have to finish the entire game.
pcp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2017, 10:37:21 PM »
yeah i know the levels in kc are unsalvagable trash but i was hoping for a joke about the crane or something.

in other news i found out that the steam version of sonic adventures doesn't have the fucking game gear games in it. since kega doesn't work with windows 10 what's a good Sega emulator I can use?

Wait, does Sonic Adventure include the Game Gear games in some other format? I didn't think they were ever re-released.

PS Tails Adventure is the mother fucking shit

Doesn't Sonic Gems Collection have all the GG games as well?

Also I put some more time into Mania. While the music and graphics are on point, there are a few places where things just don't come together, like some of the boss fights feel sloppily put-together. I was fighting the octopus boss today and kept on getting killed for what seemed like no reason at all. Like I'd fall in the oil, most of the times you can jump out and survive that but sometimes it'll be an insta-kill. Also, falling off the plane in Mirage Saloon act 1 all the time :P
^_^

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2017, 11:01:50 PM »
looks like the gems collection has half the games and mega collection plus has the other half
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2017, 08:22:55 AM »
they made a fun old-school manual for the game:

http://www.sonicthehedgehog.com/mania/manual/?pid=0
pcp

Himu

« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2017, 01:30:30 AM »
The core mechanics of Sonic are still broken.

The only people who believe that think 2D platformers can only be played in a certain way.

Sonic is not all about replayability, it rewards multiple playthroughs. The multiple routes make the levels dense and a lot more interesting to go through multiple times, which is a hell of a good feature for back in the day when there weren't any save states.

As far as finding going though it fast satisfying, I do and many others do. You don't. That's as subjective as it gets.

The game's core mechanics aren't broken, flawed, wonky, or whatever the fuck pseudo-intellectual forum posters think of it. It works incredibly well to the point that a return to it lead to almost unanimous praise. You think there's something objectively wrong here, but really it all boils down to a play style you don't like or don't like anymore. That's fine if that's your take away, doesn't make the game inherently flawed.

My criticisms of Sonic are hardly pseudo intellectual and you sound hella try hard and extra mad with your defenses. Sonic as a series is love it or hate it. My criticisms are valid.

I haven't even said why I think sonic sucks in this thread. You sure did write a lot over nothing without actual substance.

Replaying is definitely a huge aspect of Sonic. Nothing I said about its appeal is wrong. The appeal in Sonic is time trials, seeing how fast you can beat a stage, speed running, and exploration. Exploration in particular is probably Sonic's greatest asset and lends to making the games replayable, which is all I meant.

Different people can enjoy different things, but people can dislike things as well. Stop being a fucking bitch and take it. You've called Shenmue shit for years and I've mostly taken it in good humor. I said the core mechanics of Sonic are broken without going into why they're broken and you wrote a giant screed talking about fucking nothing. One sentence is enough to trigger you, which is ridiculous. For the past year you have gone on and on about how much you think Street Fighter V sucks at any opportunity, actually. But for some reason I can't do the same for Sonic? I say this as someone who doesn't even like SFV in its current iteration much.

Also, Rumbler, "lots of people play and like the Genesis Sonic's to this day" doesn't mean much in their favor. As if because something is well liked doesn't mean it can't be shit.

Anyways, some peoples gold is another persons dookie. This doesn't make my opinions invalid just because you don't happen to like them and are overly defensive. I'm glad you love the game. I really am. But even I admit and understand why people don't like Shenmue. You haven't even asked why I think Sonic sucks, which tells me everything. You don't want discussion. You just want to cream over how happy this games makes you feel. Which is fair, but when it's applied to everything but stuff you like it becomes bullshit. The least you can do is stop being a bitch about it and taking it personal that someone doesn't like that blue furball. If you're going to throw a tantrum don't be hypocritical about it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 02:50:47 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2017, 01:38:36 AM »
Himu, why did you buy a game that you knew you would hate?

Wrath said to give it a chance; I did. Conclusion: Sonic is still a shit platformer. This is a discussion board, and I reserve the right to discuss how bad it is.

Who said anything about a science project? Thinking something is bad and coming to conclusions is not a science project. I do not find Sonic fun and I find it odd people can shit on any game here unless it's a Sonic game for some reason because people grew up playing the trash.
IYKYK

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2017, 03:17:26 AM »
Himu the Queen. For real, Exodust's dick shrank three sizes to me after seeing him pimp this after actually wasting time playing it.
serge

Himu

« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2017, 03:50:01 AM »
Anyways, why Sonic sucks.

Has nothing to do with "the game advertises itself as you have to play it fast but you actually have to play it slow" bullshit. That any Sonic fan (or in my case, former) knows.

1. Rings. Or more specifically, how death is managed. What makes a platformer a great genre is that there are rules. In Mario, if you get hit in small form you die. No exceptions. You essentially have two chances in traditional Mario: big Mario and small Mario. This means two hits. Castlevania, Mega Man, and other action platformers like Rocket Knight Adventures have life bars. A platformer like VVVVVVV or Super Meat Boy have one hit and you die rules. What makes platformers fun is working around this, as life isn't infinite. Sonic eschews this norm by introducing rings. The more rings you have, the more of a buffer you have as rings act as your health. In Sonic, if you get hit when you have rings as long as you hit a ring you always have another chance. This is problematic because unlike other (read: good) platformers which have limitations, Sonic has no such limitation. You can play as half assed as you want to and it doesn't matter so long as you get that one last ring. You potentially have infinite chances depending on your luck. Sonic Mania exacarbates this flaw even further by introducing big rings which accumulate more rings in less space.

Test: Play Sonic mindlessly. If you run into something, shake it off and just gather dem rings. See how far you get by playing like this. Does the game force you to play conservatively and mind your actions? Or is it designed where anyone can play it and have fun as long as they get dat ring? Does this make a no death run in Sonic satisfying? In a Mega Man game you can't get away with that shit. Rings are a shit mechanic and make Sonic unnecessarily mindless. And if it's mindless, my actions don't matter. If my actions don't matter then it's not fun. Sonic would be far better with a health bar.

2. Exploration. Sonic is billed as an exploration focused platformer. It's definitely a large part of its focus because it has hidden routes, hidden knick knacks and warp points. Problem is that I think other platformers handle this better. Mario 3, Super Mario World, and Yoshi's Island have plenty of exploration. In Castlevania III you pick which levels you want to go in whatever order you want which changes the game to get different endings and alters the difficulty depending on what stages you pick. In Rondo of Blood, you can pick different paths to go in. The problem with Sonic's exploration is a lot of the times it feels like finding things is accidental. That's not inherently bad as finding things by accident is fun. But  exploring in a Sonic game just always feels so haphazard and tedious not only due to Sonic's cumbersome controls when not running, but the way the levels are structured like giant mazes.

3. The platforming. It's okay. The appeal in Sonic as a platformer, as Positive Touch said, is free flowing through stages. When you're running through a stage and everything goes right Sonic can feel good to play. I understand the appeal in it as I used to love Sonic for that very reason. But the older I got, the less I enjoy that aspect as it doesn't challenge me and we return to point one above. The platforming is passable depending on the stage but it's not even reaching the heights of the best the genre has to offer. This ties into point two. The level designs themselves are just lacking for a platforming. Sonic is great with gimmicks but not applying those gimmicks in a skillful manner. The levels feel like mazes with little cohesion. You can be knocked down from a different plane in Sonic and it doesn't fucking matter a lot of the times. I can't think of any other platformer where falling will normally mean landing on some ground so you can keep chugging. This ties into the autopilot and mindlessness pointed out above.

Speedy platforming, exploration, and replay value are what Sonic has to offer yet it's not a master of any of these things. If I want to play a fast platformer, I could play Shinobi III, Dynamite Headdy, Ristar. If I wanted to play a platformer with an exploration focus, there are far better choices than Sonic. Fuck, one came out this year and was a remake of a classic: Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap. It shits on Sonic's exploration from a great height. There are even games on the same system as Sonic's Genesis games that outclass it in exploration such as Ecco The Dolphin. Replay value is another thing Sonic is famous for but isn't as good as its competitors. Castlevania III has multiple endings, different characters, different stage orders. It kicks Sonic's ass. Playing Mega Man in itself is full of replay value and can be played in infinite manners of ways. P shooter only run. No hit run. Beat Heat Man's stage without Rush Jet. Beat Quick Man's stage without Flash Man's weapon. You can pick and customize your boss order according to how you see fit. In X games, no upgrades run.

This is without mentioning how bad the bonus stages in Sonic are, the premise of chaos emeralds and Super Sonic and making the games even more mindless (again highlighting the flaws of the rings mechanic), and more.

Sonic is a master of none. What does it do better than other platformers (besides style)? I can't think of a single thing. Sonic does not deserve the fame that it has and Sega lucked out.

I played the shit out of Sonic 1-3 and Knuckles as a kid and I know them like the back of my hand but they're so dull and easy and mindless despite knowing them like this. I had hoped that I felt this way about Soinic because of my familiarity with those games. Maybe I think they're boring and mindless because I'm so good at and familiar with the old games? But no. Mania is new and I still feel similar.

Conclusion:

I understand why people like Sonic. At the same time, I can't help but think they're shit from the very core of their most basic game design. Even the games health system is flawed and shit. The games are C-tier at best.

Sonic?

IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2017, 07:03:20 AM »
"sonic sucks because I like other games better" wow this argument is about as well-crafted as a 3d sonic game
pcp

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #143 on: August 25, 2017, 07:57:45 AM »
*makes a dozen posts about how the subject of the topic sucks
*tells people not to criticize him because he hasn't actually said why yet

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2017, 10:14:40 AM »

Who said anything about a science project? Thinking something is bad and coming to conclusions is not a science project. I do not find Sonic fun and I find it odd people can shit on any game here unless it's a Sonic game for some reason because people grew up playing the trash.

When you said this:

The optimal way to play Sonic is by replaying it. The first run you take it slow, see where traps are, make notes. You don't get too heavy with the speed. Then you beat it and replay it, and do it again. But play it with more style as you know the game now. Maybe this time try to stay in upper levels. As a rule, lower routes tend to be easier and upper routes tend to be harder. So a good way of progression is to start first runs on low routes and on replays work your way up until you can do the entire stage with speed and stay on the upper route.

I like that you're passionate about shitting on the game, and Mario without-a-doubt is superior, but your breakdown is a bit over the top, lol.

TVC15

« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2017, 01:34:43 PM »
Trump won last year because two Sonic games were announced.
serge

Himu

« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2017, 01:39:35 PM »
Using :umad against me in this thread is pretty funny. The only person who looks mad the entire time are you and Viscen since the very beginning.

:yeshrug
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
pcp

Himu

« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2017, 01:43:05 PM »
:neogaf

Love how Sonic fans are always defensive. I remember when I made a thread shitting on Sonic on gaf and people were like,"you're trying to tear us apart by badmouthing Sonic!" Then I was accused of hating games. :sabu Sonic fans are hilarious. It's like you're personally coming at bae with them 100% of the time. "Leave bae alone! :brazilcry" :lol
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2017, 01:55:22 PM »
lol so mad
pcp

Himu

« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2017, 01:57:09 PM »

You're so right. I'm very mad I spent 20 dollars on a kusoge.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2017, 02:08:30 PM »
I wouldn't classify anyone here being a Sonic fan.  Who the FUCK actually leaves the house each day being comfortable with associating with that fandom  :doge
püp

TVC15

« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2017, 02:22:52 PM »
I wouldn't classify anyone here being a Sonic fan.  Who the FUCK actually leaves the house each day being comfortable with associating with that fandom  :doge

Honest to christ anime fans post here. Of course there'd be a few Sonic wads in that bunch.
serge

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2017, 02:33:52 PM »

Love how Sonic fans are always defensive. I remember when I made a thread shitting on Sonic on gaf and people were like,"you're trying to tear us apart by badmouthing Sonic!" Then I was accused of hating games. :sabu Sonic fans are hilarious. It's like you're personally coming at bae with them 100% of the time. "Leave bae alone! :brazilcry" :lol

Yea, me making a couple one-sentence posts pointing out that you are chomping at the bit to make this topic all about you is me being super invested in defending Sonic. Keep putting up a new wall of text every time someone posts anything

Also you literally made a topic on this forum saying you hate games

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2017, 03:07:37 PM »
Trump won last year because two Sonic games were announced.

:rofl

ど助平

TVC15

« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2017, 04:08:43 PM »
Uhhhh, I think it's a pretty well made and stylish game that revisits old concepts and it's only 20 bucks.

That, and more importantly, it's pretty fun for me to play.

But my mistake might be that I'm playing a game for enjoyment and not in preparation to write paragraphs of broad, not-so-passive-aggressive metacommentary on a small splinter forum. :doge

serge

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2017, 04:10:22 PM »
ok fuck me :rofl
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2017, 06:31:51 PM »
🤔 Sonic would be a lot better with a health bar.

Himu

« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2017, 06:49:41 PM »
🤔 Sonic would be a lot better with a health bar.

Yup. Rings are shit and a poor substitute for Mario's coins. Keep rings so you can a accumulate score and allow access to bonus levels, but tying rings to health is :poop
IYKYK

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2017, 07:47:25 PM »
Yea what kind of piece of shit would -

Himu

« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2017, 07:58:02 PM »
:sabu

1. That's a life bar and it has a limited number of coins you can stock. In Sonic, you can get over 100 rings so when you get hit you've got plenty of ways to get at least half of that number back. Being able to pick up rings after being hit makes a huge alteration to basic gameplay.

2. When Mario gets hit, coins do not spill out allowing you to get some spare coins to safe face, which is the true problem with Sonic's health design if you had actually read what I wrote.

Nintendo managed to implement Sega's own health system in a better manner than them.

>"Sonic is shit and needs a health bar
> you make a sarcastic smart ass post
> sarcastic smart ass post contains a health bar proving me right.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 08:14:52 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #161 on: August 25, 2017, 08:30:06 PM »
U mad

And overestimate how many rings drop when hit

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2017, 06:48:46 AM »
🍆🍆

Tasty

« Reply #163 on: August 26, 2017, 12:23:51 PM »
The fuck is a time-out and why did I get it in the middle of a boss battle I was about to win

Himu

« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2017, 12:25:23 PM »
When you hit ten minutes on the clock you get a time out and lose a life. Go in the corner Andy. Put on the hat, Andy. That's a good boy. Think about what you did to poor Sonic.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #165 on: August 26, 2017, 07:33:53 PM »
Why does the timer count up instead of down if that's the case???

Himu

« Reply #166 on: August 26, 2017, 07:34:36 PM »
Because sonic team was stupid.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2017, 07:58:14 PM »
every level in sonic always had a ten minute limit, so it didn't matter either way
pcp

TVC15

« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2017, 11:41:29 PM »
Can we salvage this thread by just straight up turning it into a Sonichu thread?
serge

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #169 on: August 27, 2017, 12:56:38 AM »
Hi

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2017, 01:40:51 AM »
So apparently this has DENUVO on PC so everyone is super pissed, and it initially couldn't be played offline despite being a single player game (Super Meat Boy on Steam need to be online to work too).
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2017, 07:30:57 AM »
People were losing their shit over the Internet connection part.  A patch came out pretty quickly yesterday to change this, which Sega claims was not intentional.  This is despite a Sega employee on Twitter telling everyone to report how much they hated this and to tell Sega to remove it.  Hmm... :doge
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #173 on: September 01, 2017, 07:49:35 PM »
I got all the emeralds and medals a week or so ago. Today I went ahead and got the true ending as Super Sonic. That last level goes a lot faster when you know what's up, I don't dislike it anymore.

I also restarted as Knuckles which is real cool.

Himu

« Reply #176 on: September 10, 2017, 02:29:18 AM »
The final stage is driving me insane. I've always hated that gravity orb gimmick. They're confusing to control and basing an entire state off of the them and hoping you land on one off screen is distinguished mentally-challenged. I have deleted the game because I cannot suffer any longer. I fucking hate Sonic.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #177 on: September 10, 2017, 11:48:32 AM »
The final stage was fucking HORRIBLE but the electric orbs are a bit easier to deal with if you know to hold left/right to maneuver Sonic, and then if you hit the jump button when he's in the middle of the ball, you go the farthest. Once I mastered this the final stages were a LOT less painful.
^_^

AdmiralViscen

« Reply #178 on: September 10, 2017, 01:37:41 PM »
I didn't like it the first time but I've done it twice more and enjoyed it once I learned the layout

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #179 on: September 10, 2017, 02:10:15 PM »
the main problem I had with it and a few other levels is that it was too damn long for the 10 minute time limit. would been fine if they bumped it up to 15 minutes since so many levels were a lot bigger than the old maps.
pcp