Author Topic: Bore thread of pointless jewelry masquerading as useful : Watches.  (Read 20181 times)

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
Re: Bore thread of pointless jewelry masquerading as useful : Watches.
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2018, 03:43:27 AM »
oh i was just looking at that specific model on kara's recommendation; in reality due to my thin wrists if i ever upgrade from my uniform wares to a luxury watch my choices are limited to certain cartier/jlc/nomos dress watches

SmokyDave

« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2018, 04:53:30 AM »
I’ve always loved watches, but mine are rather modest. I wear a Fitbit most of the time anyway. I do have a ‘nice’ Casio Red Bull jobbie, but it’s nice in the way that I like it, it’s not a ‘proper’ watch. I also own one of those humongous Metal Gear Solid 4 watches that were released in the UK. It’s no looker, but I scored it cheap so no biggie. I probably have a couple of Animal watches lying around from my xtreme teens too.

At some point I’d love to buy a truly nice motorsport themed watch, but any frivolous spending over a few hundred quid and I’m buying scale models instead. Can’t support two high-end passions :(

Some gorgeous watches in here though. Mmm hmm.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2018, 11:27:24 PM »
See, I really really just don't get the whole Rolex thing. They're overpriced, and just so... boring looking? Plus, everyone either has one or wants one. Seems like the Jack Daniels of watches to me.

There's overpriced (virtually all luxury watches) and then there's worthless (Jack Daniels). :)

If anyone is interested in why the prices are quite strange these days, here's a recent article about what's happened in the industry over the last ~20 years.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/why-some-watches-rolex-patek-philippe-impossible-retail/

arrow

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2018, 03:28:15 PM »
See, I really really just don't get the whole Rolex thing. They're overpriced, and just so... boring looking? Plus, everyone either has one or wants one. Seems like the Jack Daniels of watches to me.

There's overpriced (virtually all luxury watches) and then there's worthless (Jack Daniels). :)

If anyone is interested in why the prices are quite strange these days, here's a recent article about what's happened in the industry over the last ~20 years.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/why-some-watches-rolex-patek-philippe-impossible-retail/

I'm probably not expressing myself properly with the comparison :) I see a parallel with Rolex being a mainstream desirable item in the same way that Jack Daniels is a mainstream desirable bourbon...

I don't doubt the quality of Rolex tho, more that it's just become so ordinary to want one, if that makes sense.

That article is pretty interesting. Actually the artificial scarcity has a parallel in the high end collectible cars market too: Ferrari won't sell you some of their more exclusive vehicles unless you have a good track record in buying their previous cars... But Ferrari do it because it's always been their ethos to limit the number of vehicles produced.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 03:45:34 PM by arrow »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2018, 12:14:23 AM »
Usually I am sour on microbrands, and this one is apparently rehabbing ancient Swiss movements which is another strike, and they're going to run small as a result of that (strike 3?), but I really like the look of these. :whew

https://wornandwound.com/introducing-semper-adhuc-a-young-french-brand-making-old-new-again/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlDaUGWHPax/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlGI2gWn_Vk/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlIsi_4Hmrv/

Kara

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2018, 11:16:37 PM »
:whew

BisMarckie

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2018, 11:42:18 PM »
I never realized that there is a thread for watch aficionados on here. :hyper

I had a decent collection of watches (around 20 or so) but when the baby was underway and I decided to take a semi-sabbatical I sold all but 3 to have some money to fall back on.

I didn't have any crazy expensive watches though. Mostly Seiko, Tag Heuer and 2 Omega watches I got relatively cheap. I just couldn't sell my most valuable one though which is a Breitling Cockpit which my late grandfather gave me for my graduation.

My other ones are a Tissot V8 and an Omega Seamaster.

One day I will start collecting again and then I'll hopefully be able to afford a second Breitling watch.  :doge

arrow

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2018, 12:44:35 PM »
So a friend of mine got a Hamilton Khaki. Awesome-looking vintage style field watch. I gave up my quest for the perfect Astron (although, damn that Marine Master limited edition Astron NEARLY had me), couldn't buy a Hamilton since he already did, and caved for one of these instead.

Seiko SARB017, the Seiko Alpinist.

Theres a lot of people who like this watch, and when it first arrived, I was kind of "well, it's ok I guess...". But its really grown on me in the last 2 weeks or so.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 01:14:29 PM by arrow »

Kara

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2018, 06:56:09 PM »
Powder blue and silver  :dsp
:9

nudemacusers

« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2018, 07:31:27 PM »
Grand Seiko :lawd
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2018, 11:00:06 PM »
I am fucking in here  :whoo

Aran

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2018, 11:19:26 PM »
I love my smartwatch, Galaxy Gear S3 Frontier all day

Kara

« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2018, 03:23:20 AM »
Grand Seiko :lawd

If you like the snowflake #aesthetic (and who doesn't, really) there's a vanilla Seiko they sell in the Japanese domestic market with it too that you can find through importers without a lot of hassle.

Unfortunately the case is titanium which means it's a $1,200 watch with a $500 watch movement in it but I guess that rounds out the Grand Seiko homage.

Kara

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2019, 01:27:58 AM »
Think I'm going to buy a very expensive watch with an ETA 2824 in it. :brazilcry

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2019, 06:29:30 AM »
if it makes you feel better that might be the push i need to buy something nice, i almost an apple watch in duty free in a moment of madness

Kara

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2019, 03:22:34 AM »
The Apple Watch made A Blog to Watch's favorite watches we added to our collection in 2018, you should do it!

As for me I'm torn between the Tudor Black Bay 36 and the Cartier Tank Solo XL.

The Black Bay 36 is a dressy tool watch which is something I would appreciate (I think the only watch I own with 100 meters or more of water resistance is an ancient Citizen Eco Drive I got for my high school graduation) and Tudor purportedly regulates their ETA movements to chronometer accuracy without getting them certified. Unfortunately I think it's too small for me and the same model in size 41 looks quite hideous in comparison.

The Tank Solo XL is just classic, thin (I don't like owning watches that don't fit under a sleeve which probably explains the water resistance issue I mentioned earlier), and I'd never have to worry about trying hard to dress it up like I would with the Black Bay 36. Plus--I know this is a stupid reason-- imo watches from jewelers attract more positive attention from women than those from watch dork brands and I'm an eligible bachelor. Unfortunately there is no way clients wouldn't notice it as a display of wealth and I don't think it looks good with short sleeves (I don't wear a suit to every client every day). It'd also be another freaking watch with a date window. The Santos would probably be a better fit for my lifestyle / wardrobe but it's also double the price.

The decision is going to have to wait until after tax season because I need to go try on a Black Bay 36 to see if it's too small for me and if it is then I need to try on the 41 to see if it looks as bad as the photos on their website make it look.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2019, 09:48:14 AM »
I had some time to kill at a Seiko shop today... I really want to like the Astron, the gadgetry is kinda cool and has some practicality but it's the third time I try one and it doesn't do it for me aesthetics-wise.

I tried diving watches too, some with a slightly more ornate dial, but it's already what I wear currently and I have minor gripes with every model (the font on the number of the outer rings or how the marking on the dial look) and since it's both a futile and costly object to begin with, might as well be picky otherwise what's the point ?

They had some promising diving models (the Prospex LX 300m line, especially good looking in black) but those are really out of my means (2500€ or more for the cheapest one).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:57:40 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2019, 11:32:20 AM »
The LX is basically a Grand Seiko but it's branded Prospex too. I'm all for buying stuff that only appeals to enthusiasts but come on...

The Astron reminds me of Citizen's Nighthawk in that it's really impressive from a technical standpoint but utterly hideous. I know pilots love the Nighthawk (which is funny considering how many GMT automatic watches market as a pilot's watch) so I suppose Seiko has an Astron market too somewhere.

I didn't get the Tank or the Black Bay 36. I could never get a straight answer about the movement in the Tank (they've started using in-house movements in it I've read) and it didn't look good with short sleeves on me. The Black Bay was likely until I went to a dealer that had the North Flag on discount and then I talked myself out of that too. Bore alum The Business was right to ask if I've ever done anything I really wanted to. :'(

Been looking at MAT watches lately, VK. Do you know anything about them? I guess they're troop watches in la république which is a major negative to me. I like that gilt California dial watch a lot, though...

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2019, 04:40:28 AM »
Not familiar with MAT but as you guessed they have some official contracts with armed forces, special forces, Légion, police, firemen (Paris and some other cities fire department is handled by Sapeurs and the army), civil defense, etc... First thing I thought with the name is about the MAT prefix for the official designation of some French small arms (those designed in the Manufacture d'Armes de Tulle), I'd imagine it's intentional. Can't quite find the founding date but they're roughly 20 years old and as you probably know it's all on the base of some well-treaded and reliable Swiss movements. As I'm sure you noticed some model have the crown on the left.

The Tudor Black Bay 41 looks pretty good, especially that red-black-gold model. for a diving watch would be a good size for me I think (the Seiko I have is 44 or 45 IIRC) but it's too pricey for my budget. The 36 is more apt to dress up obviously.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2019, 07:07:23 AM »
I looked again on Orient and the Mako III looks nice in Green and Burgundy...

https://www.orient-watch.com/Collections/ORIENT/Sports/ORIENT%3A-Mechanical-Sports-Watch/p/RA-AA0003R

I might go for that or the latest Orient Sun & Moon for something different instead of another diver's...

Unfortunately will have to be online. It's less painful to not try them because they're relatively cheap but still.

Edit : Citizen has some official Disney and Marvel branded watches :hhh

I'm looking at their perpetual calendar watches, Orient has one too IIRC.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:39:24 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2019, 02:07:46 PM »
Vostok Europe (no relation to Vostok apparently, it's a Lithuanian brand) or when the Soviet fetish gets too strong... But I kinda like the overall design and it's all (or mostly) Seiko or japanese movements. I wouldn't mind their perpetual calendar model :

https://www.vostok-europe.com/ym86-565b288/

The Lunokhod line has some nice models too.

Too bulky for me I suspect.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 03:19:02 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2019, 03:58:57 PM »
Anyone with an opinion on Alpina watches ? The design is what I like (on the Alpiner 4, Seastrong Heritage or Diver 300), sporty and sober -many models don't have number markings or very small numbers on the dial-. It's right in my upper bracket on budget but I'm sure I could find somewhere to try one in Paris.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 12:36:27 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

BisMarckie

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2019, 05:14:59 PM »
I have no experience with Alpina, but Tissot is in the same price range and I like the one I have better than my more expensive watches. Maybe have a look :yeshrug

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2019, 12:45:03 PM »
I have no experience with Alpina, but Tissot is in the same price range and I like the one I have better than my more expensive watches. Maybe have a look :yeshrug

I'm not gonna lie, I did check Tissot a couple of time just for because of the Tour de France sponsorship but it doesn't do it for me.

Really it's all fantasy shipping now but I might probably just settle on an Orient or a Seiko.
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2019, 02:23:31 PM »
Alpina are fine enough watches, I've never heard someone complain about having one. On the flipside I've never heard anyone be out and out in love with one either. They're owned by Frederique Constant which is owned by Citizen so that's a weird thing but whatever. (Speaking of Citizen, it's hilarious that the Marvel Eco-Drive with mineral crystal VK linked costs about the same as a Promaster Tough which is all the watch you'll need to survive climate cataclysm.)

I sold / gave away all the watches I had that I didn't have a sentimental reason for keeping. (This was to get me to buy the Tank or North Flag, lol whoops.) That means I've been wearing my Orient a lot. They're fine watches but are a bit unstuck in time. Mine has a power reserve but can't hack or handwind, for example. Their movements are not good as actual time keeping devices, either. Great cost / value ratio though (straps and bracelets aside). Probably a bit hard on mine because it was an anniversary gift from a failed relationship, tbh.

If you want something from a major brand I do kind of miss my Hamilton Intra-Matic Auto 38mm. (I don't miss it being 2 hands instead of 3 though.) MSRP is high on that watch but gray market prices are a lot lower and buying an ETA 2892-2 watch on the gray market is nbd. Plus an ETA movement is in-house for a Hamilton. :troll:

I'd also rec some of the nicer microbrand stuff that's out there. The Baltic Aquascaphe is adjacent to your Seiko, VK, but you're still looking at dive watches. Martenero makes some fun stuff that's less beholden to the #aesthetic conservatism of mechanical watches. The new Miyota 90XX movements have really opened the floodgates for microbrands and everything I've heard about them is good.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2019, 02:51:36 PM »
That Baltic looks great in blue.  :obama
No date though :fbm
One reason I like the Orient divers are the day complication.
The Sun & Moon 3 and "Mako III" (Not sure if that's the official designation) do have the stop-second and manual windings now.
For the time keeping itself frankly I'm not certain anything at that price range in automatic might exist while also catering to my tastes.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2019, 07:52:17 AM »
Another minimalist diving watch (using a Seiko movement, essentially the same than in my Samurai if I'm not mistaken) otherwise has Sinn U1 vibes.

https://www.unimaticwatches.com/

Not bad but too minimalist for me (Some of the earlier models had dates and more markings but I guess it's basically all short run production). I guess the latest round of e-window licking is helping me refine what I want in a watch. And really I'm a big milquetoast giant dad, I don't think microbrands will cut it for me. Classic sporty designs, minimalist but not too much with a dash of modernity and angularity, historic brands, in house movement, Japanese reliability and affordability as a statement over a more expensive watch (I'd rather have a bigger budget and not settle on "bottom range" Swiss offering if I had to), metal strap. I wouldn't mind more exotic material than steel (titanium, ceramic the Rado Captain Cook) but I haven't seen anything interesting at my price points.

I'll probably just cut the Gordian knot by just buying one, either a Mako III (Red or green dial) for the additional day complication or the Ray Raven II for that blackened steel fetish (no Sapphire though). It's inexpensive enough that I could probably soon follow up with a Sun & Moon or an Esteem for a dress watch if I want it.

If I ever have 4000€ to burn without too much care, I'll probably have a much better choice of options. Until then let's just virtue signal some modesty.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 07:57:23 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2019, 11:22:35 AM »
I caved and still managed to change my mind  :doge but doing some research on those Orient divers there was a little too much small bothers (hollowed out links, hand shapes, somewhat cheap clasp compared to the watch, mineral glass... depending on the model) and it would have been a step down in quality from my Seiko Samurai for not much variety.

Waiting on a Orient Star Retrograde (in line with my political leanings !) :
https://www.ablogtowatch.com/orient-star-de0002b-retrograde-watch-review/

That caught my eye on a site that have some Orient watches. That's kind of a bold leap for me (it might be a little too classy for my clothes...) but everyone seems to say that the build quality and finishing is on par with the style and dial and it's a bargain (sorta). I like the cleanliness, absence of numeral markers (for h/m), the balance (one big pet peeve of mine is dial markers cut off, typically like the 3 hour shortened to fit the date window) and the bracelet -good quality too-. Lume is good too which is nice though not essential. My only gripe is that the Orient vanilla logo is much better than the OS one but oh well...

Orient Star has a great looking GMT too but it seems a bit of a pain to get one in Europe without importing. If I'm pleased with the Retrograde I could see myself buying more Orient in the future because their simple designs are pretty good.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:05:59 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2019, 05:51:05 AM »
I need to go have the metal band shortened to my wrist but here it is :)

Turns out all of my 3 watches have black dials. Probably need to get some colour going at one point...

ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2019, 09:15:36 AM »
I'm also gonna echo that the Watchfinder&Co videos are pretty cool even if ultimately it is a commercial for their line of business. But it's pleasant it's mostly about the bigger picture more than giving a binary opinion on model such and such.

Also realized my Sinn Chronograph bezel was misaligned, a detail I only picked on because of my digging of the topic of watches
:trigger
I still need to put a new glass on it so I'll see if that can be fixed at the same time.

The other lesson eternally retold is that close up shots distort perception a bit. The Orient Star logo works well and is very discrete in the actual watch.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »
Wrist shot :

ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2019, 06:42:01 PM »
So the Orient Star Retrograde first thoughts :

- My current SO likes it. She has good taste and was in luxury retail at one point so there's that.
- The case is 14mm+ thick, which has come up in a couple of reviews as being just a mm too high. I'm not bothered at all by it but I have no dress requirement and I think a slightly chubby watch better match my morphology.
- 39mm diameter looks just fine on me (to be honest I was a bit surprised the 44mm Seiko was such a good fit). I could maybe go a few mm smaller if I wanted which is good to know.
- It IS maybe a tad too elegant for my clothing style but not as jarring as I feared. Definitely something suitable for the 2.5 social events a year I may attend.

The Orient Star I mentioned earlier is the Star Seeker GMT. Not in production currently, sadly. Hopefully when I'll look at a GMT seriously I might get some actual honest use of the complication...
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2019, 08:48:43 AM »
https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/products/seikopremier/srx015p1

Might and go try that. Maybe too cluttered though.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2019, 05:45:43 PM »
I looked at the specs of the Sea-Gull Diver but a friend mentioned the 1963 (and speaker from experience). It's a nice, clean, vintage, affordable chronograph and definitely exotic.

https://wornandwound.com/review/a-look-at-the-seagull-1963/
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2019, 02:13:37 PM »
Was looking at some more info on the Unimatic (mentioned above, ultra minimalist diver from an Italian micro brand) and saw the following YouTube video.
:kobeyuck

TLDR : That model had the dial and movement wobbling inside the case and upon inspection it may probably be because the case was designed for a Miyota movement (used in the earlier series of that brand) and not for the Seiko one in it (and used since then). Maybe because they decided / had to switch mid-production.

I don't know if it's an isolated instance (maybe a second hand watch modified ?) or just on that particular series but that's not exactly giving any confidence in the brand. It's a 600-700€ watch so not really cheap either.

Edit :

Well, based upon this I think we can conclude with some confidence that the watch really was made in Italy.

:dead

http://www.thedivewatchconnection.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1266931&sid=40ec6e3e3e2d148013c29f4e846b93b5#p1266931

Edit 2 : Some owner of an Unimatic on that same forum opened up his and it's a similar story.

http://www.thedivewatchconnection.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1267185#p1267185

Some more second hand reports :

http://www.thedivewatchconnection.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1267222#p1267222

Edit :trumps :

http://www.thedivewatchconnection.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1267831&sid=0a04b82cfc3c894eed0574c63b676ab2#p1267831
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 02:55:25 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2019, 07:45:17 AM »
I mean it's probably a defect of some kind, for the one in the video, and the cheap fix probably works good enough that the watch work or I would have expected a lot more instances of failed watches.

It's "affordable" too by watches standard and I understand microbrands may face those sort of issues more commonly but this sours a lot of the appeal. The typo on the case is adding insult to injury.

Kata posted an article (on page 1 IIRC) on how the big luxury brands were playing mind games with their clients and ADs to really amp up the scarcity and rarity of their products. My SO told me that ETA was doing the same with brands and that sometimes you have no idea when exactly you'll be delivered and how many units will ship out of the one you ordered.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2019, 01:22:38 PM »
The wishlist  :doge

An Orient Bambino with a white dial.
A Citizen to fill some gap
A GMT watch (Orient Star Seeker ?)
Sinn U1 S or SE
Sinn Finanz
A Grand Seiko

Edit : Might as well throw the Nomos Orion and an IWC Portugaise in there.

:notlikethis
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 02:30:42 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2019, 08:48:34 AM »
Coming September 2019 (in France anyway) :

https://wornandwound.com/baselworld-2019-first-look-at-the-seiko-presage-arita-porcelain-dial-collection-refs-spb093-and-spb095/

Too pricey for me but those porcelain dials are lit.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2019, 04:47:16 AM »
https://www.infowars.com/aoc-criticized-for-wearing-600-watch-during-crying-border-photo-op/

The photos, which show AOC crying into her hands, were taken two days before she won her Congressional race. They show her outside a “tent city” in Tornillo, Texas which was being used to temporarily hold migrant children.

Eagle-eyed sleuths zoomed in on the watch and found out that it was a Mavado Museum Classic which retails at $595.

You wear Rolexes (and Tudors too), and so does the rest of your gang, to supposedly infiltrate the satanic elite, Alex.  :gurl

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=578372

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 05:02:04 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2019, 06:25:29 AM »
MO-vado :stahp

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The automatic version of that watch is way too expensive imo.
[close]

spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's also one of the few quintessentially American designs left.
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2019, 03:08:05 PM »

:lawd

20k tho :larry
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2019, 11:18:29 AM »
Orient Bambino II (white dial, gold hands and markings) on the way. A slight rebate on it, I hesitated with an heavy discounted dress Seiko Kinetic but that fills the gap for a base Orient.
Will probably see for another Seiko diver (maybe with more reserve)... I guess Citizen would help do a Japanese Royal Flush (maybe with a Casio Edifice...?) but the visual designs are really inferior to my taste.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 11:40:22 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2019, 06:50:39 PM »
I fucked up my Bota 24 uno trying to change the battery myself, and I don't trust anyone in the area to fix it right. I'm so mad.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2019, 07:20:27 PM »
I fucked up my Bota 24 uno trying to change the battery myself, and I don't trust anyone in the area to fix it right. I'm so mad.

Man that sucks. I took a look at their website and even a complete service on their quartz model isn't crazily expensive. It's probably worth it if there's no decent option for servicing it locally.
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2019, 07:33:13 PM »
What broke on it? A Ronda is about as ubiquitous as an ETA and they'll probably just replace it when you take it to get fixed.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2019, 07:46:23 PM »

Man that sucks. I took a look at their website and even a complete service on their quartz model isn't crazily expensive. It's probably worth it if there's no decent option for servicing it locally.

I contacted them, and they were like "don't send it yet" and gave me some info about people in new york. I'm not in new york.

What broke on it? A Ronda is about as ubiquitous as an ETA and they'll probably just replace it when you take it to get fixed.

Whilst cracking it open the flathead I was using slipped and crunched one of the springs or something.  also it's not a ronda...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 07:52:08 PM by Cauliflower Of Love »

Kara

« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2019, 08:00:55 PM »
The UNO-24 models are driven by a Swiss-made Ronda quartz movement. Unlike the much cheaper “Swiss-parts” movements, the components in this movement are manufactured and assembled entirely in Switzerland.

The original Ronda movement ensures that the UNO 24 will run smoothly and precisely for many years, which reflects the BOTTA principle of technical and design durability in its German-made watches.

???

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2019, 08:05:50 PM »
oh, sorry I was thinking about the ronda brand. my fault.

Kara

« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2019, 08:25:02 PM »
No problem, the brand / movement distinction is kind of peculiar. 8)

Real talk: Sometime brands like this just don't want to service their watches if they break or they don't have a great multilingual customer support staff. I did some research and it's not a customized Ronda movement in the watch, Ronda makes one for that style of timekeeping sold off the shelf.

idk where you live exactly, but any major metro will have a watchmaker who can swap out the movement for a new one. It appears to be the calibre 515.24H. The one in there may be salvageable but it's probably cheaper just to swap it out for a new one.

Kara

« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2019, 02:23:41 AM »
Not up to the standards of Watchfinder.co.uk's videos, but I figured the Seikoreans would enjoy some of these new releases.

That green dial Presage Cocktail Time would look really good on a Milanese bracelet. :whew

Kara

« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2019, 02:44:09 AM »
Kata posted an article (on page 1 IIRC) on how the big luxury brands were playing mind games with their clients and ADs to really amp up the scarcity and rarity of their products. My SO told me that ETA was doing the same with brands and that sometimes you have no idea when exactly you'll be delivered and how many units will ship out of the one you ordered.

RE: the first item - on the Hodinkee podcast this week they were talking about how Rolex is currently operating at capacity (they had to petition the Canton of Geneva for dispensation to operate on Saturday or something) so their consensus was that their chronic supply issues stem from an unwillingness to scale up their production as well as an unwillingness to turn into an Audemars Piguet type company. (The Royal Oak is #iconic and everything, but it's hard not to think of Audemars Piguet as a one-watch company these days.)

RE: ETA - ETA used to have to provide movements to whomever could pay upon request because the Swiss competition regulator ruled that they were a monopoly. Swatch grew tired of that because (1) they also sell watches with ETA movements (I kind of suspect this drove the development of the lower hertz / higher power reserve movements derived from existing ETA movements they use in the Swatch brands) and (2) they had to sell to any company that could pay even if the company was some fly-by-night operation. Through some wrangling ETA has managed to loosen the regulators grasp and they ultimately intend to only sell to deserving brands. (I don't think Tudor is waiting on ETA movements, for example.)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2019, 05:46:02 AM »
Oh that explains it. Snooping around you catch that ETA started restricting who they were selling to (on top of playing hard to catch with their clients) but it was unclear why.

I'm reading an interview of the Sellita group, because he's "accused" of selling many movements to Asia (he says it's a smear, it certainly looks like one). From what I gather, Sellita was picked to be the token competition to nullify the monopoly and has been growing faster than anticipated, though he mentions Sellita couldn't cover if Swatch Group would strangle availability even further. They're still pretty dependent on them for certain pieces (Those supplied by Nivarox, to quote him) despite having patented their own movements.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2019, 01:00:19 PM »
I'll maybe add one more to the collection soon (maybe another diver with a coloured dial, smaller and less angular than the Seiko Samurai ?) but after that I should be set unless I get a ton of disposable income to step up.

Anyway, the Orient Bambino II is here. The white dial has a pearl like reflection. The crown move nicely. It looked smaller out of the box but on the wrist it definitely looks its size (41-42mm). That's noticeably slimmer than my other ones (but they're all 13-14mm so...)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 01:05:09 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2019, 01:18:23 PM »
I have an e-one which is supposed to be a watch for blind people, that you can touch to feel the time. It just looks dope as fuck.

Anyways, I like to wear it john wick style, with the face on the inside of the wrist, which makes it easier to see... 

It's silly and it entertains me greatly when people ask about both things back to back.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2019, 05:35:19 AM »
And the Long Island Watches guy really looks like what you'd expect... well, for Long Island (no offence). It's much less sophisticated than Watchfinder but he's pretty active on Youtube and covers a lot of stuff (especially in the more affordable side).
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2019, 10:53:39 AM »
Went to the Seiko shop.
I looked closer to some of the Premiers but they're too massive, busy and clunky. Weird angles on the lugs and all that. A shame because they have nice complications. Not a big date fan though. Some of the higher end Presage are nice but too large.

I tried the SPB105J1 (new model, dark green dial, cream hands/markers with gold edges diving watch, metal bracelet, crown at 4) and the SPB053J1 (dial and bezel in dark blue, cream hands, rubber bracelet, crown at 3). Both use the 6R15 movement which is an upgrade for me (50h reserve), both have Sapphire glass (though I have no complaint for the mineral proprietary Hardlex I experienced). The blue one is cheaper but that's on account of the rubber bracelet somehow -according to the saleswoman- despite not having the (ever mysterious and luxury sounding) Zaratsu polishing on the lugs. The dark green didn't look as good in person on my wrist than on the photos though. The blue I like a lot and it's a colour I have quite a bit for clothes. It's slightly smaller than the Samurai. I'm a bit torn about the rubber bracelet (comfort is just fine, it's not visually the most appealling) but I have already have 3 metal ones and I could always substitute it for a NATO band.

Oh and unrelated but my dad bought back a vintage Air King (he used to have one he sold, but he missed wearing a watch) which I could name just because the case is so small by today's standards (34mm IIRC) which makes it one of the most affordable automatic Rolexes at this point. He's a one watch only guy and current sizes don't appeal to him at all. It seemed much more puny than in my memories but it works well as a statement of quiet elegance (especially with that greyish white dial).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 11:05:19 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2019, 03:41:03 PM »
I'm not surprised to hear that MVMT, that had a hefty marketing push (in podcasts and even 4x3 posters recently in the subway over here) have terrible reputation.

:hhh

Edit :

:heyman

ALPHA M !

Apparently still sell like cupcakes. :fbm

Edit 2 : Apparently Movado bought them almost a year ago. Bookends and synchronicities.  :ohhh

This video has some interesting commenting on that.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 05:04:54 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2019, 09:17:32 AM »
Might end up with an Hermès quartz watch soon too (family stuff). The slanted numbers design.
What a rabbit hole.
ὕβρις