Author Topic: OG Xbox BC Launch Titles - October 24  (Read 5387 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: OG Xbox BC Launch Titles - October 24
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2018, 02:43:30 AM »

marcel night

Back when gamers enjoyed games no crying about frames or resolution
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 02:50:11 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2018, 02:55:29 AM »

wow, i wonder if PSCX2/Dolphin looks as clean, X renders it internally at 1920p/60fps and S renders it at 960p/60fps

also some cool background on how SSX streamed and built the courses and a hott BINK VIDEO aside

Bebpo

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2018, 11:38:21 AM »
Pretty tempted to get an Xbox One X for the BC. RDR & SSX3 are awesome (although Tricky is better with SSX).
I kinda feel like I should wait until I get a 4k tv for the full benefit. Which might happen in the next couple of years.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2018, 11:46:30 AM »
I'm starting to think about getting an Xbone, because apparently it will ignore region codes for 360 backward compatible games. It seems like I could get a Japanese Xbone and play all my US 360 games on it. Can anyone confirm this?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2018, 12:05:57 PM »
Mercenaries!?  :whew

Should’ve been a GTA-killer franchise. EA/Pandemic totally fucked up the sequel.

©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2018, 06:58:47 PM »
Mercenaries!?  :whew

Should’ve been a GTA-killer franchise. EA/Pandemic totally fucked up the sequel.

(Image removed from quote.)

:PANDEMIC_FUCKED_UP_MERCS2_CHANGE_MY_MIND.jpg

• co-op focused game shipped with broken networking code
  • competitive racing missions in co-op play didn't support players becoming too far away from each other. pro-tip: racing means trying to put distance between you and your opponent
  • reputation system was more finicky than previous generation's clearer system
  • bugs caused random airstrikes, attributed to your character, which directly affected the finicky reputation system
  • co-op mode allowed players to drop-in by default; my no-kill run was sabotaged by a rando because I didn't think to change my default settings
  • it's an EA game, so there was bullshit DLC to buy which was advertised on the START SCREEN every time the game was booted up
  • the one cute bit of DLC was being able to play as Obama or Hillary, but those characters were unavailable in co-op
  • original game had Han Solo and Indiana Jones as playable characters; I know EA doesn't own any interesting characters to put in, but it is indicative in the quality falloff between the original and the sequel
  • final mission is just a quicktime event fight with the bad guy, but the camera is fucked up, just clips through geometry, spins, and makes it not only anticlimactic, but unplayable

benjipwns

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2018, 12:33:45 AM »
COUNTERPOINT:

"IT'S THE MERC"

"ENEMY'S HERE"

"HEY, THE MERC"

"THE ENEMY'S HERE"

"ENEMY SIGHTED"

"IT'S THE MERC"

"OVER HERE, IT'S THE MERC"

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I actually had a quite a bit of stupid buggy fun with the thing in the pre Saints Row 2 days, the AI being so terrible that you could take the time to setup huge destruction of the buildings to kill everyone, destroying something like a bridge and watching everyone drive/walk off it to their death trying to get to you, etc.

thing was so blatantly unfinished but still rushed out, the PS2 port (not by Pandemic I don't think) is even more amazing :lol

The Saboteur was a decent swan song though, shame they never got a chance to iterate on that.
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2018, 02:53:08 PM »
Mercs 2 and Saints Row 2 were my jam back in the day.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2018, 04:39:23 AM »
COUNTERPOINT:

"IT'S THE MERC"

"ENEMY'S HERE"

"HEY, THE MERC"

"THE ENEMY'S HERE"

"ENEMY SIGHTED"

"IT'S THE MERC"

"OVER HERE, IT'S THE MERC"

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I actually had a quite a bit of stupid buggy fun with the thing in the pre Saints Row 2 days, the AI being so terrible that you could take the time to setup huge destruction of the buildings to kill everyone, destroying something like a bridge and watching everyone drive/walk off it to their death trying to get to you, etc.

thing was so blatantly unfinished but still rushed out, the PS2 port (not by Pandemic I don't think) is even more amazing :lol

The Saboteur was a decent swan song though, shame they never got a chance to iterate on that.
[close]

Referring to your non-spoiler spoiler'd text, Saints Row 2 was another game shipped with a co-op focus AND with broken network code, but Volition clearly cared about the situation and rushed to make it work as quickly as they could. Sadly, the 360 version still has some very rough problems, to the point where the only safe way to get the co-op Achievements is to ensure that you start with a fresh, new game, invite your co-op partner in, and ONLY ever play that save data with a co-op partner.

It was a glorious/sad day when Sceneman and I completed ALL the co-op activities in SR2, only to have the Achievement pop for me (initiated from a new save) and not for Sceneman (not new).

The Saboteur has some problems, but that is a seriously good game that got short shrift.

I frequently consider going back to Mercenaries 2 and trying for the All-Captured/None-Killed Achievement, but I don't trust the game to allow it.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2018, 07:54:10 PM »
The Saboteur felt like it was six months of development away from being an amazing game.  The potential was there but it had to get out the door.
🍆🍆

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2018, 04:48:08 AM »
The Saboteur felt like it was six months of development away from being an amazing game.  The potential was there but it had to get out the door.

Yup, there was a good deal of broken shit in that game. Six months of tuning, they would have had a real gem on their hands. Loved it, even with all its rough edges.
 :delicious