Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2174494 times)

Kurt Russell

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #14880 on: February 09, 2018, 08:03:57 AM »
It's like OP is getting a masterclass in how the real world defines harassment, versus the reeeee echo chamber definitions.

I guarantee that the recruiter will be equated to either Trump, a nazi, GamerGate or the alt-right before the thread gets locked.
woke

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #14881 on: February 09, 2018, 08:09:21 AM »
Just publicly shame them on Reddit, Facebook and Twitter and hope it goes viral. And block their email.

::)

jorma

« Reply #14882 on: February 09, 2018, 08:12:12 AM »
Just publicly shame them on Reddit, Facebook and Twitter and hope it goes viral. And block their email.

::)

Frankly he should hope it doesn't go viral.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14883 on: February 09, 2018, 08:13:46 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/being-harassed-by-a-tech-company-hiring-manager-and-i-dont-know-what-to-do.22069/
Quote from: Michael F. Assbender, post: 4333224, member: 9594
Have you tried peeing on his butthole?

If that doesn’t work, just ignore him.
:betty
ど助平

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #14884 on: February 09, 2018, 08:15:53 AM »
I got like 5 other competent guys/companies in line, so whatever.

:badass

OP getting harassed in that thread

ftfy

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #14885 on: February 09, 2018, 09:04:58 AM »
Sometimes I'm thankfully I'm not naturally gifted at stuff or I would probably be a gigantic ass like OP.  :doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Aslo, I'm thankful I'm not too autistic as well.  :doge
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #14886 on: February 09, 2018, 09:13:30 AM »
You also have to know who you're fucking with. If this guy was from a company that was worth a shit I'd have to adapt a more humble demeanor. He's not though.

:badass

OP acts like a dick because of culture, having job offers lined up and used to people kissing his ass. Then came a wild hiring director who decided to appropriate OP's culture and gave him a taste of his medicine.

OP went on to post on forum and have his thread backfire.

Man, this is entertaining every time.

:dead
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #14887 on: February 09, 2018, 09:18:19 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4347730/

Jesus Christ. I’m in the process of interviewing with a couple of the top tech companies right now. If I land the job, I hope I don’t become like this.

That seems to be the GAFfer known as TwoWords (judging by avatar and handle) and that's pretty :lol considering he often sounded like the not the most self aware person himself.
ὕβρις

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14888 on: February 09, 2018, 09:26:55 AM »
"How is this vitriol?"

LMAO.
ど助平

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #14889 on: February 09, 2018, 09:30:34 AM »
Hopefully the hiring manager publicly shames OP on a blog for being a dick.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

blaze

« Reply #14890 on: February 09, 2018, 09:33:05 AM »
What's wrong with some people?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #14891 on: February 09, 2018, 09:44:12 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4348425/

Did the Romans have anyone as bad as trump in power?

:lol
ὕβρις

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #14892 on: February 09, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »
Honestly, I'm with the OP in that thread. Most of these "hiring managers" and especially recruiters are clowns and not worth your time. I think most of them are hearing "tech company" and thinking he blew off one of the S&P 500 guys, when it's more likely to have been some no-name startup that no one has/will ever know about.

I was self-employed for 2 years, but semi-regularly looked for a good paying job during that time. The overwhelming majority of these interviews were a waste of my time because the recruiter or hiring manager didn't actually know shit about the position. they were just matching keywords on a list and trying to sound like they knew what was needed.

blaze

« Reply #14893 on: February 09, 2018, 09:52:26 AM »
Recruiters suck, but he's not being harassed. His response is hilariously over the top. Hell he calls the recruiter a "douchebag stalker" like wtfffffff

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #14895 on: February 09, 2018, 10:19:32 AM »
I agree he's not being harassed, although I thought he said there were other messages before the ones he shared that are worse.

Regardless, I'm just saying I get it – once you've talked to like the 10th of these people in a month only to find that they've once again wasted your time, you'd be pissed too. Still, he could have told him off, but should have been more professional about it. I've told more recruiters than I can remember 'please don't ever contact me again, I'm not interested' or something to that effect.

SG-17

« Reply #14896 on: February 09, 2018, 10:21:31 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4348425/

Did the Romans have anyone as bad as trump in power?

That entire thread, Christ. That's what happens when you allow people as young as 13 to join. Surprised no one asked if there was an anime or a magna about Ancient Rome they could watch/read.

Also, lol at anyone saying Rome was racist. The concept of race as we know it didn't really come into fruition until around the 16th century. Skin color didn't matter in Rome, so much so that it was rarely noted. Rome was a cosmopolitan city full of black and brown skinned people living their lives. Anyone of any race could be a slave and anyone of any race could be a citizen, which is what mattered most. There is even evidence that there were black and brown skinned patricians and senators. There is even evidence to suggest that Emperor Lucius Septimius Serverus Augustus wasn't white, more likely something akin to a precursor of the Berbers.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:26:14 AM by SG-17 »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #14897 on: February 09, 2018, 10:31:28 AM »
I find it hard to believe that people in antiquity didn't discriminate based on superficial characteristics.

Kurt Russell

« Reply #14898 on: February 09, 2018, 10:33:19 AM »
I agree he's not being harassed, although I thought he said there were other messages before the ones he shared that are worse.

Regardless, I'm just saying I get it – once you've talked to like the 10th of these people in a month only to find that they've once again wasted your time, you'd be pissed too. Still, he could have told him off, but should have been more professional about it. I've told more recruiters than I can remember 'please don't ever contact me again, I'm not interested' or something to that effect.

When you've progressed further in your career to a more senior level, you'll learn to love them. The lower level positions are the ones they usually phone in and as you pointed out, keyword match, as they don't make a ton of commission off of them and there aren't really any recurring benefits. With the more challenging roles, they can be a real godsend and open doors.
woke

SG-17

« Reply #14899 on: February 09, 2018, 10:39:25 AM »
I find it hard to believe that people in antiquity didn't discriminate based on superficial characteristics.
There is no evidence of what we would call today racial discrimination. Rome was a highly civic society, all that mattered was whether you were a citizen or not (and if you weren't you were essentially not even human) and if you were a slave, freedman, plebian, or patrician (and then whether you were an equites or senatores).

Skin color did not matter in Roman life, as long as you were a citizen. Black people in Rome had no restrictions on what jobs they could do and there was no stigma against interracial relationships and marriages.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #14900 on: February 09, 2018, 10:45:58 AM »
Can someone with a ResetEra account make a thread about this article?
https://apnews.com/7f2f372ffb4448d58d93a3af05914499/Outspoken-California-MeToo-advocate-accused-of-misconduct

Assemblywoman Cristina Garcia said Thursday she’ll fully cooperate with an investigation into an allegation she groped a 25-year-old man who worked for another lawmaker in 2014. Daniel Fierro alleges that she stroked his back, squeezed his buttocks and attempted to touch his crotch in the dugout after a legislative softball game. Garcia said she doesn’t recall the incident.

Damn, so it actually happened

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #14901 on: February 09, 2018, 11:01:01 AM »
There is no evidence of what we would call today racial discrimination. Rome was a highly civic society, all that mattered was whether you were a citizen or not (and if you weren't you were essentially not even human) and if you were a slave, freedman, plebian, or patrician (and then whether you were an equites or senatores).

Skin color did not matter in Roman life, as long as you were a citizen. Black people in Rome had no restrictions on what jobs they could do and there was no stigma against interracial relationships and marriages.
Assuming this is true I would guess it'd be because everyone's world was smaller back then, and a lot of indigenous peoples elsewhere didn't or couldn't travel.  They hadn't encountered as many cultures of homogeneous people they would consider broadly uncivilized or uneducated.  Later exploration into south Africa or the Americas led to a lot more thinking like "oh all these people look the same and they don't even have gunpowder lol."
Uncle

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #14902 on: February 09, 2018, 11:14:12 AM »

When you've progressed further in your career to a more senior level, you'll learn to love them. The lower level positions are the ones they usually phone in and as you pointed out, keyword match, as they don't make a ton of commission off of them and there aren't really any recurring benefits. With the more challenging roles, they can be a real godsend and open doors.

Eh. That’s definitely not my experience. I’m at (low/mid level) management level now after about 15 years and most of my conversations with recruiters and HMs were not fruitful at all. I have my current job via an agency so it did work out in the end for me... but like I said, it took nearly two years and running into lots of dead ends. Part of the problem is where I live is just not conducive to finding jobs in my field unfortunately. I did turn down two offers, one of which was in Honolulu, because I didn’t want to move away.

railGUN

• If my bones are breaking would you tell me that I'm weak?
« Reply #14903 on: February 09, 2018, 11:21:54 AM »
Hey look, NeoGAF hasn't shifted to an alt-right forum because after making this thread, https://www.neogaf.com/threads/political-compass-off-topic-2018-ill-show-you-mine-if-you-show-me-yours.1460934/

~18 people in 3 hours posted they were left leaning libertarians.

Quote from: EviLore
Notorious alt-moderate video game message board NeoGAF.com

Somebody is getting a touch insecure.
Fish<

railGUN

• If my bones are breaking would you tell me that I'm weak?
« Reply #14904 on: February 09, 2018, 11:42:48 AM »
NeoGAF is likely the most successful traditional message board ever, at least in the English language.

:iface

Whatever conception you have in your head about me desperately clinging onto a sinking ship or some crap, in between playing desperate nosferatu in the shower or whatever the fuck...whatever helps you climax easier in your vivid fantasy, I guess, but it's not reality-based on any level. This horrific experience I went through the moment I was falsely #metooed, while it did put me on the edge of walking from what has been a passion project of mine for almost two decades, has evolved into an opportunity that I'm grasping, yes; an opportunity to fix the problems that couldn't be fixed under the previous status quo, to rethink everything from scratch with the benefit of experience and hindsight and revelations about the true nature of several folks who had been involved and trusted...then put it all together, and get to see what comes of it.

I'm here because I want to be. Site's rapidly recovering, too. Deal. <3

The whole post is a gold mine.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/revisiting-when-the-left-turns-on-its-own-from-back-in-june-2017-and-healing-neogaf-off-topic-in-2018.1460712/page-12#post-253180893
Fish<

Kurt Russell

« Reply #14905 on: February 09, 2018, 11:56:59 AM »
Eh. That’s definitely not my experience. I’m at (low/mid level) management level now after about 15 years and most of my conversations with recruiters and HMs were not fruitful at all. I have my current job via an agency so it did work out in the end for me... but like I said, it took nearly two years and running into lots of dead ends. Part of the problem is where I live is just not conducive to finding jobs in my field unfortunately. I did turn down two offers, one of which was in Honolulu, because I didn’t want to move away.

That sucks. It does sound like you've experienced a disproportionate amount of shitty ones. I find the shit tier recruiters are usually the ones that trawl linkedin and spam you on a Friday afternoon.

When you get to the point you are, you should really be forging relationships with a couple of good ones. They'll get a better idea of what roles are a really good fit for you and proactively get in touch. If they are worth their salt, they'll offer all sorts of little value adds - for example: They should be regularly reviewing your resume, notifying you of training opportunities and even negotiating with roles that are a little above where you are now (ie - I've got this great candidate, he's lacking x and y in your job description, but he is a great cultural fit and nails a, b and c). You find that they get a lot more useful at this stage as they want repeat business and 5 figure sums every time you move to a new position, so by finding a strong and reliable candidate, they can push them upwards through a career path and benefit repeatedly from your accomplishments.

I got asked by one to come to an extended lunch about a year ago, to be set up with a bunch of companies (Amazon and Google were two - I think some kind of oil company and a large-ish financial organisation also). It was like career speed dating. None of the companies were there to recruit for specific roles, but more to meet us and form an opinion, to see what would match further down the line. Free food though. I stole a bunch of it and got noticed  :snoop
woke

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #14906 on: February 09, 2018, 11:57:17 AM »
I wonder what the most successful site written in the Black Speech of Mordor is.

Kurt Russell

« Reply #14907 on: February 09, 2018, 12:00:53 PM »

So he actually admits the site went to shit now? A couple of months ago he was more like this:

woke

agrajag

« Reply #14908 on: February 09, 2018, 12:02:59 PM »
I'm not throwing any ex-mods under the bus, but... BESADA AND BISH, I repeat it was BESADA AND BISH

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14909 on: February 09, 2018, 12:51:43 PM »
RETATATA, how di I life? Ep. #7206 - cross-over with THIS IS HARASSMENT Ep. #45878

https://www.resetera.com/threads/being-harassed-by-a-tech-company-hiring-manager-and-i-dont-know-what-to-do.22069/

edit: https://www.resetera.com/posts/4335279/

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
I'm waiting for the: "LinkedIn bot has harassed me" thread.  :doge
🤴

etiolate

« Reply #14910 on: February 09, 2018, 12:54:24 PM »
"Site is rapidly recovering" from the perspective of a fellow who thought vomiting into the toilet was a sexual invitation.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #14911 on: February 09, 2018, 12:58:03 PM »
I checked on GAF OT the other night and there was an NBA trade deadline thread that had zero replies. It was sad.

FStop7

« Reply #14912 on: February 09, 2018, 01:03:32 PM »
It's like OP is getting a masterclass in how the real world defines harassment, versus the reeeee echo chamber definitions.

I guarantee that the recruiter will be equated to either Trump, a nazi, GamerGate or the alt-right before the thread gets locked.

Dude tries to apply reeee behavior to real life and wonders why it fails.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #14913 on: February 09, 2018, 01:03:35 PM »
NeoGAF is likely the most successful traditional message board ever, at least in the English language.

He went senile from the shock :neogaf
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14914 on: February 09, 2018, 01:09:35 PM »
LOL @ anyone siding with the weirdo OP in that "harassed" thread. 

- It got ignored that he decided to cancel a job interview by way of cancelling the meeting on his calendar with no explanation;  that's not how you cancel a job interview, ESPECIALLY when allegedly someone you know and respect is somehow involved (OPs "handler" he kept referring to.)   THAT is why the manager was annoyed from the start; OP thinks the guy didn't notice the cancellation when it's pretty obvious he was just annoyed so decided to send a passive aggressive email asking him why he was late.
- OP is a huge contradiction; he said in that thread he's never even had a "senior level" position but is some superstar at his job.. that doesn't add up.  If you are really that good you should be moving up pretty damn fast at some slapdick company somewhere in the mid-west it sounds (OP said he lives somewhere with hardly any tech talent.) 
- OP is so incredibly delusional even ignoring the email exchange;  in the thread he claimed that he said "over and over" to the guy that he was harassed.. and that "each time the guy came back with new insults".. it's an outright lie.  But I don't think he's lying, he's just so fucking nuts that in his head that's the story he concocted.  He admitted the truth was that he told the guy once to "stop harassing me", the guy responded once, then OP said one more time "stop harassing me."

And on that last point; why would anyone trust that there's more to the story than the emails pasted into the thread?  OP made it sound like the guy had sent him numerous emails, but only provided evidence of 2 emails + the one accidental email.  Based on the fact OP outright lied about one part of the exchange and exaggerated it, why would anyone believe that anything else took place?

Anyways; super pointless thread closure.  Hate that kind of shit;  OP started a thread and conversation was continuing.. OH NO BETTER CLOSE IT.  So GAF like.  (here is my first complaint about Resetera moderation, I hate when threads that are active are closed, what the fuck else is the point of a discussion forum?)
Seems to me like the guy mailed him saying: "Where are you man? What's going on, you want this job or not?"

expecting something back like: "Oh sorry, I got sick, no longer interested, oops I totally forgot I'm stoned af right now"
And he probably had the second e-mail ready saying: "Ok, sorry to hear man, let's reschedule" because that's how 'normal' people behave in situations like this.

But the OP in his complete distinguished mentally-challenged said: "This is total harassment, why are you asking me where I am if I don't show up for an appointment. Do you feel entitled to my presence?"

I would've also replied with: "Look asshole, do you want this job or not?"

Also OP is dumb as hell because word gets around. Recruiters are usually in touch with a bunch of companies. Especially if the field is small it won't be long before he's known as some weirdo who thinks getting nudged for not showing up equals harassment.
🤴

etiolate

« Reply #14915 on: February 09, 2018, 01:32:09 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/california-police-worked-with-neo-nazis-to-pursue-anti-racist-activists-documents-show.22192/

This is amazing spin. Considering the history, I imagine the National Lawyers Guild is behind this spin.

I watched the event. BAMN/black bloc showed up and brought weapons to instigate the fight. The White Supremacists fought back. There were some knife injuries and people just beating the shit out of each other. It was ugly and my first experience with antifa types. "Working with white supremacists" = asking those who were attacked to help identify those who attacked them. And that got three of the black bloc group arrested. This isn't police and nazis hand in hand. If you attack someone with a demonstration permit and injure them then you get in trouble. That law doesn't go away because you're an antifa twat and they're a nazi twat.

« Reply #14916 on: February 09, 2018, 01:32:17 PM »
I checked on GAF OT the other night and there was an NBA trade deadline thread that had zero replies. It was sad.

All the Cavaliers fans moved to Resetera.

+1 for GAF

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14917 on: February 09, 2018, 01:34:02 PM »

Whatever conception you have in your head about me desperately clinging onto a sinking ship or some crap, in between playing desperate nosferatu in the shower or whatever the fuck...whatever helps you climax easier in your vivid fantasy, I guess, but it's not reality-based on any level. This horrific experience I went through the moment I was falsely #metooed, while it did put me on the edge of walking from what has been a passion project of mine for almost two decades, has evolved into an opportunity that I'm grasping, yes; an opportunity to fix the problems that couldn't be fixed under the previous status quo, to rethink everything from scratch with the benefit of experience and hindsight and revelations about the true nature of several folks who had been involved and trusted...then put it all together, and get to see what comes of it.

The whole post is a gold mine.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/revisiting-when-the-left-turns-on-its-own-from-back-in-june-2017-and-healing-neogaf-off-topic-in-2018.1460712/page-12#post-253180893

desperate nosferatu in the shower                                    (she's bi)
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #14918 on: February 09, 2018, 01:44:46 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/gdc-rescinds-nolan-bushnell%E2%80%99s-pioneer-award.20156/

So GDC is reeeeing because Brianna Wu went on a crusade about stuff she has no first-hand knowledge of and disregarded accounts of women who actually worked with Nolan Bushnell?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14919 on: February 09, 2018, 01:47:33 PM »
Quoting in case something gets changed or it is removed.

Quote from: Thug1, Desperate nosferatu in the shower, post: 253180893, member: 4
I'm not throwing the ex-mods under the bus. Most of them were great folks, actually. Most I considered friends, though I'd like to think I wouldn't abandon ship quite so readily if I were in their shoes, even though I told them to watch out for themselves and not get caught in the witch hunt by association. One of them I shed a few tears when they said their reluctant goodbye that day. You will not see me speak ill of most of the old team, just like as far as I know most of them have not spoken ill of me.

Most of the old team just didn't actually moderate the forum, you have to understand. It was a heavily flawed system in retrospect that empowered the few members of the team who reveled in the attention and the power and the notoriety of publicly engaging and banning under their public/irl identity. Most of the mods were just standout good posters who were brought on for that reason, and didn't do much banning. I don't have the exact stats on hand, but Besada and Bishoptl banned more people than pretty much the entire rest of the mod team combined, (then just besada when I kicked out bish), out of the ~50 mods we had. I took all that into account when I redesigned the structure here after the whole crash. The wrong personality types were empowered by that system.

As for sitting back and letting everyone else do all the work: fuck yourself. I did not exploit anyone involved with NeoGAF, I had and have paid positions where appropriate, and I ran the website. It was -- and still is -- a very large website with a great deal of things to be managing at any given time.

And I did attempt to change the direction of the site. Look at the OP. There was also the Jon Stewart thread which I can't locate at the moment, and several others. Hell, I tried to bring some moderating influence into people calling for witch hunts against everyone getting accused in the #metoo threads of the day, got turned on by a large subset of off-topic's Social Justice contingent for suggesting that unilateral presumption of guilt was not a virtuous position to hold, banned a bunch of them for lashing out at me, and then lo and behold I was falsely accused myself like a week later and given the same presumption of guilt and angry mob dancing around my would-be pyre (and some of the folks who were banned got together on Twitter to bomb NeoGAF with the allegation, because pettiness and self-righteousness I suppose; I've been guilty of self-righteous grandstanding too, so shit happens I guess).

NeoGAF is likely the most successful traditional message board ever, at least in the English language. I don't need to be here. I'm here because I care about this place, and I'm stubborn as hell, and after I recovered from how hurt I was by my community turning on me I started the process of rethinking everything from the ground up and finding a better way forward. I'm here typing this right now because I'm legitimately enjoying what we're doing with the site again and we have so much cool stuff in development, too, that I think the community will be really into. I'm energized and mobilized, contrasted with the misery olympics of circa 2017 that I had little desire to continue having a part in.

What a load of shit.  A huge, steaming pile of bullshit.  :lol
ど助平

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #14920 on: February 09, 2018, 01:50:07 PM »
Had dozens of mods but really they weren't doing anything :trumps
ὕβρις

Dennis

« Reply #14921 on: February 09, 2018, 01:59:31 PM »
Quote from: Thug1
Besada and Bishoptl banned more people than pretty much the entire rest of the mod team combined, (just besada when I kicked out bish), out of the ~50 mods we had. I took all that into account when I redesigned the structure here after the whole crash. The wrong personality types were empowered by that system.

:gun

From the owner himself. Besada killed NeoGAF.

Besada banned all the old members of GAF so he alone could bask in the worship from the people once all the old guard had been sent to the gulags.

EviLore is a damn fool though. People kept warning this was happening but he knew better......
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:04:06 PM by Dennis »

« Reply #14922 on: February 09, 2018, 02:02:45 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/gdc-rescinds-nolan-bushnell%E2%80%99s-pioneer-award.20156/

So GDC is reeeeing because Brianna Wu went on a crusade about stuff she has no first-hand knowledge of and disregarded accounts of women who actually worked with Nolan Bushnell?

That sucks because if everything was all kosher and consensual at Atari back then, then the guy just lost his award for no reason.

etiolate

« Reply #14923 on: February 09, 2018, 02:12:17 PM »
I've been guilty of self-righteous grandstanding too, so shit happens I guess

and then the following paragraphs are...  self-righteous grandstanding

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #14924 on: February 09, 2018, 02:15:28 PM »

Believe Women!*

*as long as it fits the narrative

agrajag

« Reply #14925 on: February 09, 2018, 02:17:26 PM »
This is about ethics in video game hot tubs

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #14926 on: February 09, 2018, 02:20:49 PM »
moblin is a national treasure
Moblin is the Clay Aiken of bore :trash

This is an old post at this point but I have an important contribution: I know a girl that was a “Claymate” and got to be in the background of one of Clay’s videos.
serge

etiolate

« Reply #14927 on: February 09, 2018, 02:21:56 PM »
The Bushnell attacks are so lame.

Revenge on the Nerds 3*

bobby boy actually suggested they make such a movie
[close]
[close]

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #14928 on: February 09, 2018, 02:25:08 PM »
The Nolan Bushnell thing pisses me right the fuck off. Fuck Wu and her delusional VG #metoo crusade.

Raist

« Reply #14929 on: February 09, 2018, 02:33:11 PM »
Aw poor you. My original statement still stands.
It doesn't. You don't know what's it's like to prepare for a software engineering interview. You have no clue. You'd be pissed too in my position.

I am a software engineer. This post is just another clue into what you're like and how lucky that hiring manager is to avoid you. My original statement stands.

:dead

jorma

« Reply #14930 on: February 09, 2018, 02:38:27 PM »

To be fair, the upholders of insanity seem to be a minority in that thread, most people are calling it bullshit. Which probably means that the thread will be locked soonish.  :doge

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #14931 on: February 09, 2018, 02:41:39 PM »
I fully expect to be warned or banned for questioning Brianna Wu's motivations.

stufte

« Reply #14932 on: February 09, 2018, 02:45:07 PM »
Then there are the people comparing him to Roman Polanski. Fucking fuck.

:picard

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #14933 on: February 09, 2018, 02:54:49 PM »
Bushnell's Atari was basically just college kids continuing college. Everyone who has seen the documentaries knows this. Weed, weed, more weed, beer, more beer, other substances and then everyone got horny.
Give the man a break, he had to imagine a dot was a tennis player.

And even though he doesn't seem to have much leverage these days, there have been 0 serious accusations against him and most of the old staff were incredibly sad when he left the company and Atari went to shit.
Not much different from early days Steve Jobs Apple who did much more devious shit than Bushnell ever did.

These people should really stop rewriting history. It's dumb and nonsensical.

Young people in tech did dumb things, Bushnell in his early days was rich and a womanizer, it got awkward at times but no one got (badly) hurt.
I mean, part of the accusations is this:
Bushnell asked head designer George Faraco to cover the game's two joysticks with pink silicon domes so they resembled breasts.
Holy shit, he should be locked up in gitmo /s
🤴

etiolate

« Reply #14934 on: February 09, 2018, 02:55:17 PM »
Someone linked KiA in that thread.

and there hasn't been a freakout over that

It's only 3 pages tho

stufte

« Reply #14935 on: February 09, 2018, 03:00:14 PM »
Someone linked KiA in that thread.

and there hasn't been a freakout over that

It's only 3 pages tho

Really?? Holy shit.

Raist

« Reply #14936 on: February 09, 2018, 03:05:40 PM »

stufte

« Reply #14937 on: February 09, 2018, 03:09:44 PM »

Dat Wu email near the end though. She's an insane ideologue.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14938 on: February 09, 2018, 03:18:07 PM »
Quote from: Thug1
Besada and Bishoptl banned more people than pretty much the entire rest of the mod team combined, (just besada when I kicked out bish), out of the ~50 mods we had. I took all that into account when I redesigned the structure here after the whole crash. The wrong personality types were empowered by that system.

:gun

From the owner himself. Besada killed NeoGAF.

Besada banned all the old members of GAF so he alone could bask in the worship from the people once all the old guard had been sent to the gulags.

EviLore is a damn fool though. People kept warning this was happening but he knew better......

You know, if he had just come out with "Yeah guys, things really got out of control.  I fucked up and should have done better.  I apologize and I want to work to make this forum great once again" I might have some respect for him.  But he's just as full of it -and himself- as usual. 

And that's putting aside the way he handled his accusation, which based on his past posting history, the way he handled everything when it happened, and that ridiculous 'she's bi' post that went to the mods...I don't really believe him on. 
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #14939 on: February 09, 2018, 03:26:24 PM »

That sucks because if everything was all kosher and consensual at Atari back then, then the guy just lost his award for no reason.

Not necessarily lost. Just pushed back due to the "climate" right now. I don't blame GDC backing away from Bushnell despite the culture back then being weed/drugs, sex, and booze. Even outside the game industry, coders and the technology folks were like that. It's like these folks didn't watch Season 2 of Halt and Catch Fire or anything talking about that era.