Author Topic: Monster Hunter World is out please dress your cat appropriately  (Read 40441 times)

Bebpo

Re: Monster Hunter World is out please dress your cat appropriately
« Reply #360 on: February 08, 2018, 03:10:11 AM »
Ok, so I just watched a MH4U hammer video of G2star Diablos to see how he was in the previous game and wtf, the G2star Diablos in 4U looks like a joke compared to the Low Rank 5star Diablos in MHW. 4U Diablos looks slower, fewer attacks, much smaller body hit range (feels like MHW diablos attack hitbox of his body is huge and any part touches you bam 50% damage and knock down), and probably cause the armor the guy in the video has but even when he got hit he'd only take like 25% damage or something whereas MHW does 50% damage each.

I'm getting the feeling watching old MH vids that the monsters in MHW are way more aggressive and constantly in your face with huge attack hitboxes.

Bebpo

« Reply #361 on: February 08, 2018, 03:23:46 AM »

Diablos in MHW

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

So watching this dude do the fight in MHW, uh I seriously need to start grinding armor. This guy gets hit so many fucking times. I would've been dead about 20 times if this was me. He just shrugs off attacks as they only do about 25% or less damage so he can be way more reckless, I watch this and the hits that did like 50-75% of my life bar and turn it into a I need to run away and heal or die situation are no big deal for this guy. Yeah, having good armor sure would make these fights a lot easier! Also note to self: need some pitfall traps and drop poison clouds when monster is trapped.

I did learn about the hitting the back of his feet a couple times when he digs down each time. Didn't know there was an opening there and that extra damage adds up.

Diablos in MH4U

[close]

Man, MHW plays so different than MHW4U. Feels like the old games were straight up skill boss fights. MHW is that but it's like 50% about using the environment abilities in each location to get extra damage/openings in. Now I think I actually would be down to play XX since the combat seems so different. Just don't want to bother with all the paintball/crafting/gathering off the old games :|

paprikastaude

« Reply #362 on: February 08, 2018, 09:27:16 AM »
Almost took an hour each for the elders at the end...  :whew The final boss in particular has a really bad pattern for GS and I didn't have the material for a proper LS.

Bebpo

« Reply #363 on: February 08, 2018, 03:00:23 PM »
Congrats on clearing the main game!

I googled what Rathalos is weak to in order to avoid another 44 min fight and saw he's weak to Dragon/Thunder. There's a Dragonbone Smasher II hammer that needs some monster bone+ which apparently is easiest to get from Ogoradon, and Thunder is from Great Ghirros which is the only monster I still haven't fought since the MSQ didn't give me a quest to fight it. Probably will fight Ghirros first since I haven't done it, but if I don't have the mats will grind Ogoradon investigations and make that Dragonbone hammer.

I also need a lot of Dragonite Ore? I get it very rarely but dunno how to get a bunch of it?

paprikastaude

« Reply #364 on: February 08, 2018, 04:23:32 PM »
These materials will be common in high rank.

Bebpo

« Reply #365 on: February 08, 2018, 04:40:09 PM »
Yeah but I need them now to make a better hammer for Rathalos to get to high rank  :lol

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #366 on: February 08, 2018, 07:17:00 PM »
Just got this a couple of days ago and now I'm legit mad I won't get the Horizon Palico equipment. It just ended and I'm only rank 5  :maf
___

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #367 on: February 09, 2018, 09:13:48 AM »
Just finished the anganath fight and been grinding some of his set on sos fights

Progressing pretty slowly as it’s my first MH

Think I have most of yal on PSN. But I’m brohuffman if not
dur

Freyj

« Reply #368 on: February 09, 2018, 09:18:32 AM »
Grinding out Anjanath Fangs gets old, esp when you break his head and none drop.

If you progress the story a little, you’ll open up an npc that does item conversion.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #369 on: February 09, 2018, 10:30:00 AM »
I prob shouldn’t have started grinding so early, but yolo I like having full sets of shit
dur

Fortus

« Reply #370 on: February 09, 2018, 12:07:57 PM »
Got to Rotten Vale and HR 8 finally. Is there a Bore Squad on PS4? Would like to exchange Guild Cards so I can send your minions on Safari  :D
pie

Svejk

« Reply #371 on: February 09, 2018, 12:07:57 PM »
Just got this a couple of days ago and now I'm legit mad I won't get the Horizon Palico equipment. It just ended and I'm only rank 5  :maf
Yeah, I'm kinda pissed about that too.  dufuq, Capcom. 
I just picked this up today, but I'm not gonna even be able to jump on it till I finish Horizon.  Currently nearing the end of it.  I'm the type that needs to finish a game before moving to another.  :yeshrug

Bebpo

« Reply #372 on: February 10, 2018, 02:25:39 AM »
Grinding grinding grinding. Got a thunder hammer, a dragon bone hammer and working on an ice hammer. Also some more armor.

Almost ready for Rathalos!

Bebpo

« Reply #373 on: February 10, 2018, 04:39:09 AM »
Well I totally overkill grinded. When I fought Diablos I had 109 DEF and was using a weapon that did like 1 star damage to him. By the time I tried Rathalos I had 185 DEF and a weapon that was 3 star damage to him with like 900 atk power.

Rathalos was pretty easy fight with my hammer. The hardest part was just when he's in the air I couldn't hit him so I'd just run around a lot. Once he got grounded he kinda would sit with his head out for a bit so I'd knock him in the face a bunch with my hammer and he'd react by trying to breathe fire but I'd just roll under him a bit and move back out and get back hammering his face. Then dodge when he's in the air doing divebombs until he's back down again. Got hit a few times, but with that much armor (+12 fire DEF as well) it wasn't a big deal. My Dragonbone Hammer II had good knockdown/stunning power, kept knocking him back and down.

HR10 now running a set that's 3 piece Diablos, 2 piece Ogodoran and switching between 880+210 Thunder Hammer 2 and 666+310 Dragon Bone II and + 880 + 210 Fire Hammer. Probably will grind Legania a bit more to get the last parts to run an Ice Hammer as well. That way I'm pretty much set for all monsters between the different elements.

Gonna run the HR10 MSQ tomorrow, though I assume it's just another event kinda thing. Excited to start High Rank after!

One thing I've noticed playing MP 4p, people are friggen precise these days. They cut off each body part piece by piece and then trap and capture each monster with precision. Still a lot of good fights grinding the last 4 or so monsters in Low Rank. Doing Diablos again with 4 players who know what they're doing is a whole different experience than the first time Diablos solo. Almost feel bad for Diablos! Died so quickly and continuous beat down ;_;
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 04:43:14 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #374 on: February 10, 2018, 04:52:54 AM »
Also, while I dig MH and don't mind grinding monsters because they are fun to fight, what I don't dig is having to grind mining ores or small monsters for parts for gear/weapon upgrades. That shit is tedious time waster stuff of RNG and waiting for respawns. Would like it better if every part was just from beating monsters.

Bebpo

« Reply #375 on: February 10, 2018, 05:06:16 AM »
Got to Rotten Vale and HR 8 finally. Is there a Bore Squad on PS4? Would like to exchange Guild Cards so I can send your minions on Safari  :D

Yeah, add me on psn! Bebpo

I’m trying to slowly get everyone in the same squad. It’s hard because we need to be online in the game at the same time for me to add someone to the squad.

paprikastaude

« Reply #376 on: February 10, 2018, 06:08:26 AM »
Rathalos was pretty easy fight with my hammer. The hardest part was just when he's in the air I couldn't hit him so I'd just run around a lot.

flash pods for aynthing that flies (away)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 06:58:55 AM by Spieler1 »

Fortus

« Reply #377 on: February 10, 2018, 10:05:15 AM »
Also, while I dig MH and don't mind grinding monsters because they are fun to fight, what I don't dig is having to grind mining ores or small monsters for parts for gear/weapon upgrades. That shit is tedious time waster stuff of RNG and waiting for respawns. Would like it better if every part was just from beating monsters.

You should be sending Safaris out for that stuff. Talk to your Housekeeper to set them up. It's one of the reason I like exchanging Guild Cards. You won't be drowning in mats from them but it's basically free stuff coming in while you're questing. Will add you when I get on later today
pie

Bebpo

« Reply #378 on: February 10, 2018, 11:05:26 AM »
Oh ok, I've had safaris available for a while now but haven't figure out where to set them up.

Freyj

« Reply #379 on: February 10, 2018, 11:58:17 AM »
So the melding npc is extremely disappointing. First of all, the pages of potions and traps and ammo are useless. That stuff is easy to come by. As to the Monster parts: there’s only Plates (okay I guess) and Gems (do these exist outside melding?). So basically, you’re still stuck grinding for the annoying shit like Fangs and Sacs and Tails.

Not to mention that anything worthwhile takes special items only that are rewards from limited bounties (yay, more grinding!). I might as well just say fuck it and go grind investigations with silver and gold rewards instead.

Very much a missed opportunity to cut down on the bullshit: every item should be meldable once obtained and valued with MP in such a way that prevents turning in lots of junk for the good shit (i.e. I should be able to turn 4 Anjanath Pelt in for 1 Anjanath Fang.

Or just don’t have this npc and have the item drop process be less obtuse. Having monsters drop items mid fight that need to be picked up and don’t automatically go in your inventory is terrible. Tails I can understand because it’s very noticeable and they have to be carved. If I break an Anjanath’s head that should guarantee X Fangs by the end of the quest.

Bebpo

« Reply #380 on: February 10, 2018, 12:26:23 PM »
That is my experience too with melding. Can't make anything useful.

Btw, where do I find Ivy? I've never been able to make pitfall traps because I need ivy and never ran across it in any of the maps? Been making some shock traps though. I've never been able to properly capture anything in this game because I am dumb, so I'm gonna work on that. My problem is I keep forgetting that to tranq a low HP enemy you have to trap them first. But since you can only bring 1 shock trap into a fight that means I have to save it until I think I can finish the monster and then trap -> tranq and hopefully that works? Idk, will try.

Fortus

« Reply #381 on: February 10, 2018, 12:32:04 PM »
For capturing wait until they are near dead and have gone back to their lair to 'sleep'. Set the trap next to them but be sure to stand near their head first. Reason being tranq bomb only works if you actually hit their head with it. I'd throw half a dozen tranq bombs at a mob only to have them recover from the trap. If you don't hit their head dead on it's a waste

Have to agree with Freyj about the bits that fall off during a fight being annoying. Why can't my Palico scoop them up for god's sake?
pie

Bebpo

« Reply #382 on: February 10, 2018, 12:32:14 PM »
btw, this is my team at the end of low rank

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #384 on: February 10, 2018, 06:34:21 PM »
Getting ready to dive into this game with no previous MH knowledge

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #385 on: February 10, 2018, 09:43:12 PM »
All right, I've given this game many a chance, tried having an open mind and just gritting my teeth after getting mad over it before, but I think I'm done. I was doing the mission where I have to spot a Girros and then kill a Radobaan, which is counted as an expedition mission, and the motherfucking Radobaan left right as I was about to kill him. This is a story mission, not a free roam. I have to pass it to advance. Either time the fucking hunt at 50 min like a normal mission or don't allow it to leave.  I broke every part that bastard had that could be broken, he's barely moving, and right as I'm about to put the boots to him he just disappears because it hit that arbitrary time. I mean, he "left." Then, as if the game is rubbing it in my face, a fully healthy one pops up and appears right where he was lying. There's no defending that, it's just pure time-wasting trash game design.
sup

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #386 on: February 10, 2018, 09:48:53 PM »
So far pretty fun, not really first timer friendly, I have no idea how much I should care about collecting various shit or the best way to spend the various shits and currencies. I’m assuming I’ll figure it out as I go or more likely end up researching things I don’t figure out online

Bebpo

« Reply #387 on: February 10, 2018, 09:50:54 PM »
All right, I've given this game many a chance, tried having an open mind and just gritting my teeth after getting mad over it before, but I think I'm done. I was doing the mission where I have to spot a Girros and then kill a Radobaan, which is counted as an expedition mission, and the motherfucking Radobaan left right as I was about to kill him. This is a story mission, not a free roam. I have to pass it to advance. Either time the fucking hunt at 50 min like a normal mission or don't allow it to leave.  I broke every part that bastard had that could be broken, he's barely moving, and right as I'm about to put the boots to him he just disappears because it hit that arbitrary time. I mean, he "left." Then, as if the game is rubbing it in my face, a fully healthy one pops up and appears right where he was lying. There's no defending that, it's just pure time-wasting trash game design.

Yeah, that’s bullshit but can you now take the fight as an optional timer quest?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #388 on: February 10, 2018, 09:59:09 PM »
Yeah, but I no longer have the desire. It's time to put the game away when all you can do while you're playing it is think about all the other games you could be playing instead.

This game is like hooking up with some random girl at the county fair. Kinda pretty in the dark, seems fun at first, but as the night wears on you realize she's a schizophrenic who cuts herself
sup

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #389 on: February 11, 2018, 12:27:42 PM »
You can get multiple kitties? Is there like a build/strategy that’s primarily kitty based, cuz...

Bebpo

« Reply #390 on: February 11, 2018, 12:47:53 PM »
Started High Rank, Pukei Pukei seemed the same as always the couple times I fought him? I read that you need to do high rank expeditions now and discover the monsters to get their quests, so gonna do that next. Working on my high rank Pukei armor set to have more entry level high rank gear. I like how the alpha versions have some legit skills this time in high rank, don't have any decorations yet so no point in beta versions.

My housekeeper doesn't have tailrider safari option? I must have missed an NPC or something, need to go look for that.

Fortus

« Reply #391 on: February 11, 2018, 04:38:47 PM »
Bebpo you may need to talk to the Lynian Researcher first who was in the 3rd Fleet hub.
Got to HR 9 now. My gear is a bit of a hodge podge atm. Trying to keep the resists up without sacrificing Defense. Have two pieces with Divine Blessing which seems to proc rather frequently and shaves off 30 percent of damage taken
How do we meet in game? There's no 'Join Friend's Hub' option that I saw in the menus which is a little disappointing
pie

Bebpo

« Reply #392 on: February 11, 2018, 07:50:50 PM »
Yeah, basically if you see someone playing you can join their session (lobby) and to actually see each other you have to go to the gathering hall which no one ever does.
Anyhow if you're in their session they can invite you to their squad and/or send guild cards.

At the start when you pick your lobby, you can pick your squad's lobby. This will be a lobby that only your squad is in. The problem is that unless your squad has like 50-200 people in it, there's a good chance whenever you join a squad session you're going to be the only person there which doesn't help because the game is geared to MP.

So we have a squad, but it's essentially useless and besides trading guild cards so we can keep track of each other's progress and borrow each other's cats, the best thing to do is if you go online and see any of your friends playing, join their session.

Then even when you're in the same session, actually playing together means:

1. One person has to post a quest
2. The other person has to see that quest is posted and goes to join quest and finds it
3. And this can't be a story quest where one person hasn't seen all the cutscenes
4. And this has to be a quest that both people are high enough rank to take it on

Whereas if you just want to play with randoms, you either go:

1. Start quest up to 4p, jump in solo and fire SoS = get full team shortly
2. Join SoS and pick from tons of people playing and jump right in

:idont

Basically the playing with players you know thing only works if you join a big guild like Resetera or something.

Bebpo

« Reply #393 on: February 12, 2018, 01:26:58 AM »
Found the missing npc and unlocked tailrider wooooo
Also started unlocking more HR monster hunts wooooo

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #394 on: February 12, 2018, 08:18:45 AM »
Just found out, no matter which version I buy, digital or physical, US or JP, it's all got both languages on it. WOOOOOOO~!

kingv

« Reply #395 on: February 12, 2018, 11:57:36 AM »
Yeah, it doesn’t run great on base xbone.

On the 1X,  there is a performance mode which gets you above 30fps, but eve on that it’s not a full 60fps.

Fortus

« Reply #396 on: February 12, 2018, 12:47:23 PM »
Kirins suck  :o
pie

kingv

« Reply #397 on: February 12, 2018, 01:52:59 PM »
After dabbling in a few weapons I decided to go back to manning the insect glaive. Once you understand how the buffs work this thing is a beast.

I was able to take down the Legianas first try with my poison tipped one.

Now it’s time to farm pukei pukei until I can get the next tier of poison and put legianas on farm to complete hi set.

I’m really not looking forward to taking on the Great Girrus because of the “miasma” or whatever they call that yellow poison stuff in the bottom of the rotten vale.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #398 on: February 12, 2018, 02:00:11 PM »
HR 14 right now, can't believe how many hours I've played this game. Just started getting comfortable farming
Nergigante
[close]
and just beat a
Black Diablos
[close]
. There is just so much content in this game and just when I think I'm almost at the end of it they throw 10 more monsters at me. Insane.

Bebpo

« Reply #399 on: February 13, 2018, 03:24:42 AM »
Kirins suck  :o

This is true. 2 was bssssssss. Killed one but died on the other ><

archie4208

« Reply #400 on: February 13, 2018, 05:07:52 AM »
HR 14 right now, can't believe how many hours I've played this game. Just started getting comfortable farming
Nergigante
[close]
and just beat a
Black Diablos
[close]
. There is just so much content in this game and just when I think I'm almost at the end of it they throw 10 more monsters at me. Insane.
They're only going to throw about 5 more monsters at you.  :doge

The dearth of content compared to prior gens is my only major complaint.  I'm totally willing to give Capcom a pass as it's their first time not recycling PS2 assets.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #401 on: February 13, 2018, 07:51:53 AM »
Yeah, it doesn’t run great on base xbone.

On the 1X,  there is a performance mode which gets you above 30fps, but eve on that it’s not a full 60fps.

I can imagine the developer meetings, when someone proposes making it work better on the Xbone, and someone brings up the 10 of them that have sold to-date in Japan.

And then all the laughter that ensues.

kingv

« Reply #402 on: February 13, 2018, 08:16:34 AM »
There goes Tim-San talking about the gaijin system again!

Fortus

« Reply #403 on: February 13, 2018, 05:44:13 PM »
HR 10 now. Diablos fight was epic. Got carted twice but managed to down it with a minute and twenty seconds left on the timer  :D Had a ton of help from Tailraiders on it. The Bug Trappers pitched in once with a net trap, had a Protector Escort with me for a long while and my Palico rode in on the final clash astride a Kestadon  :lol Definately worth grinding those factions up
pie

archie4208

« Reply #404 on: February 13, 2018, 07:54:41 PM »
Trying to do a tempered Teostra and I get one shotted by every single attack.

Bebpo

« Reply #406 on: February 14, 2018, 03:03:03 AM »
HR 10 now. Diablos fight was epic. Got carted twice but managed to down it with a minute and twenty seconds left on the timer  :D Had a ton of help from Tailraiders on it. The Bug Trappers pitched in once with a net trap, had a Protector Escort with me for a long while and my Palico rode in on the final clash astride a Kestadon  :lol Definately worth grinding those factions up

Wait, what there are factions you can level up to get cats riding dinos and throwing traps down for you? How do I do this?

Fortus

« Reply #407 on: February 14, 2018, 09:52:22 AM »
Wait, what there are factions you can level up to get cats riding dinos and throwing traps down for you? How do I do this?

Each zone has a Grimalkyne clan you can befriend. It's fairly straightforward but I'll post a link instead of a wall of text http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-02-06-monster-hunter-world-grimalkynes-doodles-protectors-5937
Theoretically you can have another player's Palico (from Guild Card exchange), a Grimalkyne AND a local fauna Tailraider with you on a hunt though I've only managed two helpers at a time
pie

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #408 on: February 15, 2018, 06:23:41 PM »
Did a Dragonvale style Pukei Pukei today:

Freyj

« Reply #409 on: February 16, 2018, 11:09:40 AM »
The lull between finishing low rank and Pink Rathian is kind of a drag. I’m guessing I’m about to go into another lull of repeats immediately following Pink?

Fortus

« Reply #410 on: February 16, 2018, 03:02:43 PM »
Don't be in such a hurry to fight Pink Rathian. He sucks and they intentionally have him path through other mons during the fight. Legiana, Ordo and that 'flash stun' mon will show up during various phases and they almost NEVER turf war him instead making a beeline for you even while Pink Rathian is on your ass  :yuck

Quality work btw Stufte. Pukei is one of my favorite designs in the game
pie

kingv

« Reply #411 on: February 16, 2018, 04:32:51 PM »
I had enough of a time with regular ass Rathian.

Not sure if it is by design, but if there was a Rathalos on the map that would come defend rathian every time I attacked it.

Luckily I beat it up in expedition so the rathalos left first leaving me to run train on rathian.

Edit: also good work misgendering rathian shitlord.

Freyj

« Reply #412 on: February 16, 2018, 05:18:17 PM »
I managed to one shot Pink, very intense fight and she’s super aggressive when she’s pissed. The only thing that really irritated me was Legiana staying on my ass until Pink left the area and the god damn charge, turn, charge, turn, charge shit she does later on.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #413 on: February 16, 2018, 07:00:56 PM »
Is there a bore squad/guild - i've read through it a few times but still don't quite understand the process. (MHW Life amirite  :doge )

psn name: Mamacint

___

Fortus

« Reply #414 on: February 16, 2018, 07:27:03 PM »
I'll add you on Friends list later tonight Dickie Dee. Would be nice if everyone playing on PS4 could agree to a time this weekend to be on so we can do the clan invite/card swap thing then
pie

Freyj

« Reply #415 on: February 16, 2018, 08:59:28 PM »
Do you need psn+ for the Guild card stuff?

Svejk

« Reply #416 on: February 17, 2018, 12:38:14 AM »
Finally jumped in.  Does the selection sound effect of the character creation screen feel like little minor stabs to anyone else, as they're the same effect they use in Dragon's Dogma ? Capcom be trolling like a muhfucka.

Svejk

« Reply #417 on: February 17, 2018, 10:12:47 AM »
Played for about 3 hours last night... only to discover i made my character's chin slightly too long... time to start over.   :snoop

Bebpo

« Reply #418 on: February 18, 2018, 02:03:41 PM »
Did the HR Anjanath on the way to pink Rathian and...I don't get the drive of HR? Like so far the HR monsters I've fought like Pukei and Anjanath...I can't even tell any difference between Low Rank other than their stats have gone up to match my HR armor/weapon stats, so basically it just feels kinda the same. If they have new moves, I don't really notice them besides Pukei seemed to be able to make a poison smoke cloud which you just move around.

Like yeah, there's new monsters like Beetleguise or whatever, but for the most part HR so far just seems like "go fight all the same monsters again!" and it's...boring? Like in LR I couldn't put the game down because I was excited about each new fight. But now in HR it's still fun because the combat is fun, but much less motivated to keep going. And G Rank expansion would just be the same thing again? Idk, maybe the loop isn't for me all that much.

I thought the idea of HR/G-rank was that the monsters would get all kinds of new attacks and the battles would be fresh again, but for the most part they seem to play out the same in LR/HR so far...

That being said, some of the new monster interactions are pretty cool. In the Anjanath fight seeing:
Diablos pop out and drag him down through the hole in the dunes to the cave was very cool. Also the Beetleguise fights.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:13:12 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #419 on: February 18, 2018, 02:10:30 PM »
Also, so far the HR monster fights have actually been way easier than the LR versions because this time I know how to play and am better geared than I was in LR. Like I remember the Anjanath fight in LR was tough the first few times and MP really helped. But first time in HR downed him much quicker no problem and the hits I took weren't as big of a deal. Same with Pukei, hated him on LR with all the poison, but in HR I just stuck to his face and took him out really quick no problem. If the point of HR is to have a "hard mode" version of the fights that's more challenging...it's not really working?

Counter-point is that the new HR-only monsters like Beetleguise are fucking hard from my attempts to fight him in expedition mode.