Author Topic: Monster Hunter World is out please dress your cat appropriately  (Read 14716 times)

Tasty Meat

• ...Consider yourself truthed.
Re: Monster Hunter World is out please dress your cat appropriately
« Reply #540 on: September 12, 2019, 11:50:41 PM »
Also yeah Iceborne looks fucking dope :lawd
🐚

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #541 on: September 12, 2019, 11:51:25 PM »
Which is the least time consuming game? MH is time consuming or can be.
Never

Tasty Meat

« Reply #542 on: September 12, 2019, 11:55:57 PM »

Can't speak definitively but GU started as a portable game and World started as a home console game. If I had to bet, the missions are probably more optimized for shorter play sessions on GU.

Then again World has some QoL improvements that probably add up, and gutting the resource collecting aspect of the series probably makes it more "efficient" too.
🐚

Bebpo

« Reply #543 on: September 13, 2019, 12:00:50 AM »
Wait Bebps you're on MHGU/XX too? :)

Yeah, I played a fuckload of GU/XX last year or so. Got to like G2 or maybe G3 rank. Found it really fun (no bullshit, just straight out fighting) but pretty easy content at this point with 4p teams in MP. I play Longsword and like the strategy but I also enjoy the fluid combat of World where you aren't locked in your animations missing all your hits. I also like the GU/XX skill/job class system.

I don't really care about graphics anymore in videogames so the main things I like better in World/Iceborne are:

+Better combat
+Greatly prefer SOS multiplayer to old method of forming a party. Main difference is in old MH, most rooms unless they are a single monster grind. you basically rotate turns and so you have to waste a bunch of fights fighting monsters you might not need/care about fighting to get to your turn. Whereas in World/Iceborne you just start the mission you want to do everytime and light an SOS flare and get a 4p team (usually, though Iceborne is a little iffy now), or you look on the SOS list and jump into a hunt that you want to and immediately start fighting.
+Good challenge

cons are:

-Way less monsters than GU/XX
-A lot of time running around chasing monsters if the fights drag (didn't bother me in World because fights were short, but in Iceborne where they are 30mins+, definitely notice the running back and forth; also I tend to lose track of where the monster went half the time whereas in GU/XX the paintball dot makes it easy to follow)
-Way worse looking weapons (look too realistic now and boring; armor is about the same quality, but weapons area big step down in visuals)
-Takes longer to get to the monster in the first place. GU/XX you jump in and go straight to the monster and fight fight fight and it's over usually. World/Iceborne you spend 5 mins getting to the monster, fight with breaks chasing every 5 mins or so.
-World/Iceborne feels more grindy than GU/XX did to me but that might be because GU/XX gives you like a million of every item from the start since it's a late port

Anyhow I like World/Iceborne and I plan to beat the Iceborne campaign and maybe try a clear or two on each of the DLC monsters they add, but if I get the itch to play some MH a year from now I'll boot up GU/XX and take on more of the monsters I still haven't beaten.

Also World/Iceborne doesn't have Gore Magala who is my favorite monster to fight in GU/XX. I also miss Mizutsune, although Gammoth is better in Iceborne.

GU/XX is less of a grind and you'll spend more time in fights, but GU/XX will probably take longer than World/Iceborne if you want to get 1 clear on every monster just because there's like 90 of them in GU/XX and a lot are locked behind grinds. I cleared World in about 50-60 hours, and in about 50-60 hours of GU/XX I still have a ton of monsters left to fight.

Bebpo

« Reply #544 on: September 13, 2019, 12:03:32 AM »
Like after 50-60 hours of playing both, these are the monsters I have yet to clear (not counting Iceborne)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Monsters left to beat in World (3)

Lunastra
Behemoth
Kulve

Monsters left to beat in GU (37)

Agnaktor
Akantor
Redhelm Arzuros
Boltreaver Astalos
Barioth
Basarios
Stonefist Hermitaur
Bloodbath DIablos
Elderfrost Gammoth
Hellblade Glavenus
Gravios
Nightcloak Malfestio
Lagiacrus
Snowbaron Lagombi
Lavasioth
Soulseer Mitzusune
Silverwind Nargacuga
Rajang
Silver Rathalos
Dreadqueen Rathian
Rustrazor Ceantaur
Drilltusk Tetsucabra
Ukanlos
Crystalbeard Uragaan
Volvidon
Deadeye Yian Garuga
Thunderlord Zinogre
Alatreon
Amatsu
Chameleos
Fatalis
Crimson Fatalis
White Fatalis
Kushala Daora
Teostra
Valstrax
Ahtal-Ka

idk if I'll ever go back to GU/XX and try to clear some of those. But maybe? It's a fun game, just need to make sure people are still playing because MH solo fucking sucksss

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #545 on: September 13, 2019, 12:04:16 AM »
Hm. Okay. Iíll try both. What system are you on World, Bebs?
Never

Tasty Meat

« Reply #546 on: September 13, 2019, 12:05:55 AM »
Brachydios needs to show up more often.

Gigginox too.

And honestly Lagiacrus is too good a design to waste on being water-only. Throw Ivory Lagi in there or something for representation.
🐚

Tasty Meat

« Reply #547 on: September 13, 2019, 12:06:06 AM »

Holy SHIT what is this beauty :uguu
🐚

Bebpo

« Reply #548 on: September 13, 2019, 12:06:51 AM »
I'm on PS4, the load times are awful BUT the silver lining is you activate the quest and it starts loading while you are in town so then you go eat and re-stock items/change equip and the loading is done and the mission starts in like 10-15 seconds which is fine. But coming back takes a good minute or so and cutscenes can have shitty loading.

PC is way better in every aspect (loading is like 20-30 seconds max I hear with SSD, graphics better) but Iceborne isn't out there until January.

Framerate is pretty smooth at this point in PS4 Pro on Performance mode. Have no issues with PS4 graphics though PC probably looks better.

Tasty Meat

« Reply #549 on: September 13, 2019, 12:07:04 AM »
Oh right GU does have Lagi :ohhh
🐚

Bebpo

« Reply #550 on: September 13, 2019, 12:07:23 AM »
Brachydios needs to show up more often.

Gigginox too.

And honestly Lagiacrus is too good a design to waste on being water-only. Throw Ivory Lagi in there or something for representation.

You know Brachydios is in Iceborne, right?  :P

Tasty Meat

« Reply #551 on: September 13, 2019, 12:08:54 AM »
I've been on a semi-blackout for World since I want it to feel super new whenever I get around to playing it, but that's excellent news. :D

Not sure he fits the Ice theme tho :P
🐚

Bebpo

« Reply #552 on: September 13, 2019, 12:09:58 AM »
Yeah, idk, haven't got to him yet.

You know who does fit? Zamtrios, but they didn't put him in because he's too goofy when he blows up into a big ball :( Instead we get a non-ball form ripoff with Beotodus which is ok but Zam is better.

Tasty Meat

« Reply #553 on: September 13, 2019, 12:10:26 AM »
For real tho why does GU which has a billion monsters including a previously-water-only species, yet doesn't include the box mascot for one of the main series games...
🐚

Bebpo

« Reply #554 on: September 13, 2019, 12:11:52 AM »
I mainly just like the status effect Gore Magala has where you have to do X amount of damage in Y amount of time or you debuff and the fight takes forever, but if you succeed you get Atk up buff which makes the fight shorter. Very MMO, but great exciting status effect that makes you want to play more risky when you have it to get the damage in and shorten the fight.

Tasty Meat

« Reply #555 on: September 13, 2019, 12:28:41 AM »
Oh yeah, Frenzy Virus is pretty fun stuff.
🐚

Momo

• c y b o r e p u n k
« Reply #556 on: September 13, 2019, 01:12:57 AM »
havent played since i got sapphire star in like February, will probably be playing this again after BL3

Spieler1

« Reply #557 on: September 13, 2019, 10:17:10 AM »

MHW is really fast paced until the first story ends. Then gets back to normal for higher ranks.

Generations is whatever. The formula and its restrictions were just totally played out at that point. Glad they went away from the Nintendo audience not only for better gameplay on better hardware, but because it was only just one entry away from having a "rub the guild girl" minigame and go full Fire Emblem.

Tasty Meat

« Reply #558 on: September 13, 2019, 07:07:51 PM »
It's amazing what the specter of Nintendo can be blamed for when you put your mind to it, I suppose.
🐚

Spieler1

« Reply #559 on: September 13, 2019, 10:47:22 PM »
just seen the 90s average for iceborne - kind of surprised at the good reviews, considering the difficulty level. :goldberg

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #560 on: September 13, 2019, 10:52:23 PM »
How is World an improvement on MH gameplay?
Never

Bebpo

« Reply #561 on: September 13, 2019, 11:49:43 PM »
Combat & multi-player. More environment interaction, combat options and depth.

Spieler1

« Reply #562 on: September 14, 2019, 01:47:20 AM »
More natural animations, instead of waiting half a minute to pick a few flower or standing still for a drink. No more mandatory flower picking quests. Heftier combat feedback. Mounting doesn't feel tacked on anymore. No more running into accidental loading screens because the monster is stuck on the edge of some shitty tiny map. Cleansed up menus. More tactical options plus environmental interaction. Better traversal. Quick item menu. Cleansing redundancies like breakable grindstones.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:02:38 AM by Spieler1 »

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #563 on: September 14, 2019, 03:10:37 PM »
I've never had an issue with any of those.
Never

Svejk

« Reply #564 on: September 14, 2019, 03:14:17 PM »
Been tempted to get back into this again also.

Akala

• VEGAS
« Reply #565 on: September 14, 2019, 05:00:14 PM »
Eh whatever, grabbed on steam.  :doge
Aka

Spieler1

« Reply #566 on: September 15, 2019, 12:32:37 AM »
New Beetlejuice :notlikethis :gamer

Savage Jho rushing in to slap it 8k damage :gladbron :preach :whoo :heyman :dsp :rejoice
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 10:33:47 PM by Spieler1 »

Bebpo

« Reply #567 on: September 15, 2019, 10:47:08 PM »
Did Coral Pukei, again fired up my SOS after the cutscene and...no one ever joined. I'm getting kinda sick of Iceborne being weirdly empty compared to MHW. Not sure what to think. Did tons of casual people jump in for Monster Hunter World but never beat it and so the audience for Iceborne is small? Hmmm, will be interesting to see what the sales are.

Anyhow, Coral Pukei was a pretty fun variant because the moves are so different it's pretty much an entirely new monster. Took it down in 28 mins. Next up is Barioth. Never fought him in GU/XX so this will be all new for me!

Bebpo

« Reply #568 on: September 16, 2019, 05:12:17 AM »
So I messed around with some Master Rank and High Rank online quests just joining SOS stuff and beating quests in like 10 mins getting loot. Then I tried taking on BARIOTH.

Since I never fought Barioth in GU/XX I thought he was just some sabertooth tiger monster, no big deal.
 :doge

...no he's a giant leaping fucking Tigrex kinda dragon with INSANE ICE TAIL swipe, crazy movement ice tornadoes, huge range fast shoulder check, etc....

I tried him single player for a bit with slow hammer and at first was getting wrecked, then found some safe spots and did ok for a while then died.

Got in a 4p match and it was easily the most intense and challenging monster I've fought in all of World + Iceborne as well as GU/XX. Fight was pretty epic and we had 2 faints and I was doing a lot of run in and get some hits and run away and heal tactics so I didn't wipe our group. I took out both his front legs which was supposed to slow down mobility but he still seemed as fast idk. Then our sword guy took off the tail which definitely helped on the giant tail swipes. We kept the pressure and cleared around 33 mins.

Crazy good fight. Is Baroith considered an Elder Dragon because it sure seemed Elder Dragon material. I can't believe the moveset he has with that speed and wall climbing and range. Insane monster fight.

lol, just googled him in GU/XX and he's like a tiny little baby. They dramatically beefed him up in Iceborne. He's so much bigger so he hits in a much much bigger radius and he also seems more aggressive and faster in Iceborne compared to this video.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:20:25 AM by Bebpo »