Author Topic: Dumb House Thread - DIY things for house owners  (Read 838 times)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Dumb House Thread - DIY things for house owners
« on: December 11, 2017, 09:42:35 AM »
I just insulated my garage myself using Rockwool for the roof (and some wood plates to cover up) and EPS for the garage door. I actually bought the wrong kind of rockwool as it was pretty floppy. It's almost finished but it already works good.Checked the temp the other day and it was 5C inside, while it was like -1 outside. Next step will be to pour some concrete to fix a crack under the door and seal the door better. Btw if you are using EPS and need to make it fit, dont rub it, shit gets EVERYWHERE.

2018 projects:
-Paint the entire house, first Ill need to scrape some old paint though.
-Maybe finally venture into the loft and see if I can add another layer of insulation and remove some stray cables
-Remove ancient sattelite dish thats attached to the house
-Build a car port?

Anyone else having any projects for 2018 or something you done recently?

Tasty

Re: Dumb House Thread - DIY things for house owners
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 11:01:58 AM »
Taking recommendations on what, if anything, to do with my new balcony/deck next year.

Pic is about half the size of the actual deck.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »
grill, some diy furniture (pallets plus cushions)

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »
Taking recommendations on what, if anything, to do with my new balcony/deck next year.

(Image removed from quote.)

Pic is about half the size of the actual deck.

When my buddies lived on Mass Ave they'd throw half-eaten yogurt containers at the cars stopped at the light outside of their window and that always cracked me up, do that

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 11:14:47 AM »
I've already done pretty much everything I can to my house:

Full basement buildout (redid the stairs, crown molding, drywall, ran ceiling lights, cable and internet lines, carpet, added a toilet, sink and shower, pantry, laundry area, etc.)
Remodeled all the bathrooms
Painted every single room
Built a patio, pergola and fence along the retaining wall

I guess we can do redo the kitchen...
野球

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 12:59:43 PM »
how many years did this take?

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 01:07:59 PM »
I did the patio in 2007, basement in 2010 (took my Dad and I about three months), pergola and fence in 2012, main floor bathroom in 2014, upstairs bathroom in 2016, and we paint whenever we feel like it.
野球

El Babua

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 01:10:41 PM »
Read "House" as "Horse" and I'm severely disappointed.

Corporal

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 09:17:47 PM »
As fellow being from the internet age, everyone needs to ensure their entire house is properly covered both with WLAN and wired internet access (and high speed network interconnects, so you can put a fat NAS and Media Server in some hidden compartment to stream movies and whatnot to various devices and accept print orders). There's also merit to rolling your own cloud, if bandwidth permits it, or renting a server and implementing it on there. Depending on your time and interest, setting up a VPN node might be neat as well so all your mobile phone traffic gets encrypted to avoid traffic shaping and nosy IT departments. Also, use all of those things as potential backup targets. Can't ever have enough backup locations.

That's some of what I was working on, back in the day when I still had a house. I'm living in an apartment now and 367% happier though, so YMMV.

Since you 'Murricans are still living in the Wild West, it might even be a good idea to slave some webcams to the whole setup so you can monitor your front door, porch etc - but make sure you're actually allowed to do that, permission-wise.

Tasty Meat:
I'm not sure how often you sit out on the deck (noise, weather, visibility) but optimising it towards that use is always a nice idea.

HOA rules, space, personal inclinations and necessity permitting, install a foldable desk (basic solution: a piece of flat wood affixed to a wall with a hinge, plus an arrest mechanism), a noise and visibility cancelling wall towards the street and your neighbours (plants or opaque plastic), and a fire-proof grill emplacement.
Also weather proof storage solution for foldable chairs. Moody lights (maybe even one of those light strips things with changeable colours) and some relief from the sun and elements (from a plain old umbrella to something fancy like a grape-infested pergola) as well as some compartments with power supply for Bluetooth speakers, google home/amazon echo/etc slaveware, power outlets for chargers and such stuff might be a good idea as well. Don't forget to put some insulation in there so that the tech can't melt in the sun, drown in the rain or freeze during winter. This will play nicely with the next item: A Beamer in a weather proof enclosure and a proper reflective screen, or a used cheapo big TV, obviously with a media PC and/or various streaming dongles and/or consoles attached.

If you don't have a window that offers this functionality, add an access door to your kitchen within reach of the foldable desk so you can cook and prepare grill stuff and needn't drag it through your home to get it outside. Good for parties and convenient during day to day usage.
A cooler or at least drinking water tap for replenishment of body fluids is also always a good idea, although most porches have the latter already. Might be a good idea to encase it and frost-proof it so you don't need to futz around with it during the cold season.

Nothing like doodling your noodle in complete privacy under the open sky. :doge
I mean, even if you don't want to, the mere possibility of actually being able to do that should give you some stress relief. Bonus points if your visibility screen allows you to still voluntarily make eye contact with neighbours or random people on the street. Assert your dominance.
!list

Tasty

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 01:38:43 AM »
That uh, seems pretty intense. :lol But I did ask.

Think I'll start with some weatherproof chairs.

Hot tub is probably out of the question right :doge

Corporal

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 04:30:41 AM »
But seriously, playing Mario Kart and other alcohol compatible games with friends on a large screen while drinking beer and eating BBQ during a mild summer evening on your own porch is a fun experience. Or watching movies. The open air aspect is great, because frankly, in a room the acoustics are different and several sweaty people bunched together will poison the air. Plus, BBQ >>> any traditional finger food/snacking.

I had a cheapo hot tub at my house. Personally, it was too much work. I didn't use it every week, though, which severely biases the work to enjoyment ratio. Anyway: You need to use chemicals to keep the water clean and monitor pH, continually battle mold because warm water vapour is like the number one preferred mold food, and you can be absolutely sure that the one time you actually want to enter it, it will be too cold or otherwise unappealing. Also, those things are heavy as fuck  when filled and can get rather loud. Plus, some designs are not winter proof. Also, depending on your friends and the prominence of alcohol and testosterone, parties can make you want to kill yourself because people will completely ruin the thing until it just pumps toxic sludge around. Not a fan. YMMV though.
!list

Tasty

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 11:35:49 AM »
Great advice! That's a lot of things I hadn't considered before.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 11:38:58 PM »

edit: drunk posted in the wrong thread :doge
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 11:01:09 AM by nachobro »