Author Topic: Dunkey  (Read 155005 times)

Rahxephon91

Re: Dunkey
« Reply #720 on: April 29, 2020, 02:32:22 PM »
You sound mad actually.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #721 on: April 29, 2020, 02:58:01 PM »
Does he go into the DOGSHIT AWFUL combat system that people have collectively decided is fine because they're a bunch of tasteless weebs or nah?

No, he correctly identifies the combat as being very good.
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #722 on: April 29, 2020, 05:39:21 PM »
I mean as far as pulpy stories with spikey haired heroes who use to work for a group called SOLDIER go I actually thought the writing and translation was about as “natural” you could get. Some meh voice acting and anime grunts aside it really didn’t sound or read like your typical anime rpg. I don’t think Square or anyone wants this to be The Last of Us or whatever. It’s a silly comic book adventure. But the interactions between Barry, Cloud, and Areith are really good and kind of funny.

I don’t get the Jessie hate. Is an overly flirty girl hitting close to home for internet nerds. But that’s the point? She’s making fun of Cloud’s bravado. And cloud has so much fake Bravado that he is the nerd that would start to think “oh this girl wants me”. Where in reality it’s maybe a maybe, but mostly for fun.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 09:03:06 PM by Rahxephon91 »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #723 on: May 08, 2020, 03:44:04 PM »

Don't watch this if you don't want to get spoiled guys, I already did but I really shouldn't have  :'(

I didn't think Dunkey would be this cruel

spoiler (click to show/hide)
To reveal that Patrick is really who you play as in Spongebob Battle for Booty Bay
[close]
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 03:51:51 PM by MMaRsu »
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #724 on: May 08, 2020, 07:44:53 PM »
I can't believe Neil Duckman would pull something like this.
©@©™

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #725 on: May 08, 2020, 07:50:28 PM »
That video was shit.

Dunkey is cancelled.

Himu

« Reply #726 on: May 08, 2020, 08:14:37 PM »
Does he go into the DOGSHIT AWFUL combat system that people have collectively decided is fine because they're a bunch of tasteless weebs or nah?

Steven Contra and I both agree that FFVIIR has the best jrpg combat system since Valkyrie Profile 2. :yeshrug
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #727 on: May 09, 2020, 03:48:47 PM »
Well, if both Steven Contra and Cindi Metal Slug say it, it must be true.

That video was shit.

Dunkey is cancelled.

More like Junkey.

Beezy

« Reply #728 on: May 09, 2020, 04:15:35 PM »

Steven Contra and I both agree that FFVIIR has the best jrpg combat system since Valkyrie Profile 2. :yeshrug
Never played this. Why isn't it available anywhere digitally?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #729 on: May 13, 2020, 05:56:02 PM »

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #730 on: May 13, 2020, 06:06:26 PM »
Valorant is crazy fun. Enjoyed watching this

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #731 on: May 13, 2020, 06:30:29 PM »
Huh, Valorant looks a lot closer to that old Shadowrun FPS than it does Overwatch, even though all the press I've seen have been comparing it to Overwatch

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #732 on: May 13, 2020, 06:33:09 PM »
Huh, Valorant looks a lot closer to that old Shadowrun FPS than it does Overwatch, even though all the press I've seen have been comparing it to Overwatch

Yes, in the sense that the shadowrun fps was kinda trying to be new CS or CS for console and Valorant is almost explicitly CS 1.5/1.6 but tacticals are abilities and ults.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #733 on: May 13, 2020, 06:59:47 PM »
It looks like Overwatch and Counter Strike made a baby and they were caught in the act by Sea of Thieves who decided to join in.
🤴

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #734 on: May 13, 2020, 07:00:56 PM »
looks more like dirty bomb if anything

which was an INCREDIBLE game

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #735 on: May 13, 2020, 07:31:52 PM »
looks more like dirty bomb if anything

which was an INCREDIBLE game
F  :'(

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #736 on: May 13, 2020, 08:26:15 PM »
It's not terrible. It hits everything I think Riot set out to do. Which is make a game that was both new and familiar, recognizable, while also being able to run on a 15 year old pc. Ppl often complain about games being built by committee/board but Valorant is a great example of that imo. It's super clean and efficient with a lot of money behind it. Like no way it can fail/not be big.

imagine if dirty bomb had a budget  :lol
[close]

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #737 on: May 13, 2020, 10:52:35 PM »
dat 360 noscope

dat shotgunplay

okay you want to be muted too?
[close]

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #738 on: May 14, 2020, 06:09:58 AM »
Oh my god stop shitting on Shadowrun that game was fucking genius, while Valorant is nothing more than a CS GO ripoff.

Really dancing on Shadowruns grave here
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #739 on: May 14, 2020, 06:24:47 AM »
Shadowrun was glorious af  :aah

Valorant looks allright, and I did get a beta key but im probably not gonna use it.
Ive been getting into CSGO lately and im really liking it. It's a lot like 1.6 except you cant spray whenever you want :<
What

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #740 on: May 14, 2020, 08:18:15 AM »
Who is shitting on Shadowrun for classifying a shooter that has a rootkit for anti-cheat?

Stop spergin' out, MMaRsu.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #741 on: May 14, 2020, 09:08:56 AM »
The gunplay of Valorant feels very counter strike, you will feel right at home if you enjoy the shooting in that, and will already be ready to fuck people up. I don't enjoy the abilities though, would greatly prefer the game without those. Only a few of them feel overpowered though, and they are constantly nerfing them already.

Also the maps are pretty fucking boring. Which should be no surprise considering how long it takes to make a good map in something like cs, takes fucking years of changes for them to be properly good. So the idea of trying to make a map with fucking 3 bombsites on, when they havent even proven they can nail 2 yet, is a bit stupid.

Visual style is very overwatch/freemium, which I hate. On the positive side though, it does elimate some of the problems of csgo. Like with smokes, there is always an understanding of if you can see the opponent or if he can see you. None of this particle shit like in cs, where it constantly seems to give an unfair advantage to one part. But again, the downside is they are ugly as fuck and cartoonish. So yeah, I would say it's a lot closer to csgo than any other game, and that's a good thing I think. Easily the best team based competitive shooter out there.

Riot is also a shit company though, so fuck them. Somehow way worse than Valve. Very happy to see that Valorant is pushing Valve to reguarly update their fucking cash cow of a game though. Hopefully we get 128 tick servers on match making soon.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #742 on: May 14, 2020, 10:18:07 AM »
Just don't take Shadowrun's name in vain and compare it with this CSGO clone which Shadowrun was clearly not

In fact it was one of the best FPS on 360, sadly it died too soon cause noone played it.

Still that CTF mode tho  :aah
What

Himu

« Reply #743 on: May 14, 2020, 10:35:40 AM »

Never played this. Why isn't it available anywhere digitally?

VP2 is one of the best kept secrets of ps2 jrpgs. VP2 never got its due: it has been overshadowed by Tri-Ace's more popular series, Star Ocean, as well as its prequel Valkyrie Profile 1 which has been released for multiple systems. It's in precarious position: it's well liked only by people that love it. VP1 fans don't like it as much because it doesn't have as good storytelling and VP was already a niche franchise to begin with. So it's in limbo. It's basically a game where if you love you love it, but no one else cares. Therefore it's not really popular enough or anyone cares enough to have it re-released and when people mention best ps2 rpgs it's forgotten. Except by those in on the know. Even VP2's spiritual successor, Resonance of Fate, overshadowed it and has had a whole ass re-release for this generation.

FWIW, given your love for Grandia and its systems I know you'd enjoy VP2.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 10:45:51 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #744 on: May 14, 2020, 12:43:02 PM »
Yeah, I've never had or played any of the VP games but I'd like to. I'm all for great rpg battle systems even if the story isn't good (Grandia 3 :heartbeat).

I do have Resonance of Fate for 360, but I never got around to playing past the intro.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #745 on: May 14, 2020, 06:21:26 PM »
Real talk: VP2 is good but not even in the same league as Dragon Quarter, the actual GOAT PS2 jrpg.
yar

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #746 on: May 15, 2020, 01:00:52 AM »
VP2 was good but I didn't like how einherejar just became generic faceless characters instead of having the detailed, usually extremely depressing, backstory of the original. The game's got some of the best graphics I've ever seen on the PS2 though.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #747 on: May 15, 2020, 02:05:23 AM »
Real talk: VP2 is good but not even in the same league as Dragon Quarter, the actual GOAT PS2 jrpg.

We are talking about systems not the actual RPG.

VP2 has better dungeon design than BOFDQ but DQ has better all around package and conceit.

Both are great though and top tier.

Yeah, I've never had or played any of the VP games but I'd like to. I'm all for great rpg battle systems even if the story isn't good (Grandia 3 :heartbeat).

I do have Resonance of Fate for 360, but I never got around to playing past the intro.

Grandia III is a great comparison: famous for battles and little else. VP2 has very innovative dungeon design in the form of seal stones. The gameplay is fantastic but VP is best known for its story so some people disowned VP2. See Tiesto's post for what I mean.

VP2 takes the movement combat of Grandia and makes it highly environmental. You have to dodge enemy attack cones, environment hazards like poison swamps and dangerous fire. You can split your party up and pincer enemies. Boss can knock your party out of the battle entirely. For instance, in one boss battle on top of a mountain the boss can blow your party members off the mountain. This makes splitting your team up high risk with high reward. VP2 was all about the environment while mixing Strategy rpg esque gameplay with an almost Grandia like package. It was truly pushing the next step where Jrpg battles were heading: environment interaction. Something the genre has barely touched on since. Completely ahead of the curve and with a God like post-game.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:14:55 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #748 on: May 15, 2020, 02:32:41 AM »
Resonance of Fate is good and the 4k Port is really solid.

It's kind of a one trick poney, but when I recently replayed it I found a bit more depth then I remember.

Himu

« Reply #749 on: May 15, 2020, 02:34:00 AM »
Beezy, this is a basic review but fully shows the combat for what it is.

Btw the game also has combos.

Like VIIR it's a unique blend of real time and turn based combat. Delicioso. :delicious
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:39:59 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #750 on: May 15, 2020, 09:09:31 AM »
Cindi - have you played the VP strategy rpg for the DS, Covenant of the Plume? It's basically a super depressing, dark FFT with a not-unlike Alexander O Smith translation and the VP fight system when you get into fights. Enemies are very cautious though so you need to play a bit aggro. There are also 3 paths to take through the game, depending on how many of your party members you sacrifice (sacrificing a character will get you their skill and some strength, your first time through the game it's almost necessary to sacrifice a character).
^_^

Himu

« Reply #751 on: May 15, 2020, 12:50:43 PM »
I haven't. I've always wanted to play it though.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #752 on: May 23, 2020, 03:33:06 PM »
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #753 on: May 26, 2020, 09:04:32 PM »
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #754 on: June 03, 2020, 07:49:03 PM »
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #755 on: June 10, 2020, 03:31:26 PM »
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #756 on: June 10, 2020, 03:37:43 PM »
When's Sunshine gonna get ported to the Switch?
dog

BisMarckie

« Reply #757 on: June 10, 2020, 03:38:59 PM »
Children today should not be exposed to the heap of trash that is Super Mario Sunshine.

BisMarckie

« Reply #758 on: June 10, 2020, 03:43:45 PM »
Since it’s brought up in the video, Mr. Bones might not be a better game than SMS, but I‘d rather play Mr. Bones.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #759 on: June 10, 2020, 05:05:50 PM »
I loved SMS, but it took me a long time to come around on it. I hated the linearity of it initially, but came to appreciate that they were attempting to marry the difficulty of the original SMB into the 3d space.

There were points in that game where you had to just lean into the game and fail 20-30 times until you got it right. There were no sidequests or other distractions to go do. You couldn't power up your character with buffs or new abilities that trivialized levels. You had this obstacle and you had to climb it. That aspect was a throwback to the 8 bit days.  They spaced those moments out enough to where it didn't feel like a grind.

By the end, I was so in tune with the mechanics of that game that I blew through those last levels. Which was so satisfying because they didn't artificially pump you up to feel powerful, it was the skills you had acquired during the previous 30+ hours of gameplay that made you that way.

BisMarckie

« Reply #760 on: June 10, 2020, 05:49:45 PM »
The secret levels were great, but there is just so much bullshit in this game that has nothing to do with mastering the mechanics IMO.

The watermelon festival, the rollercoaster stuff and the lilypad level were just frustrating and borderline broken and that’s just off the top of my head.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #761 on: June 10, 2020, 07:10:05 PM »
I liked the core gameplay, but there was too much bullshit that wasn't fun. I'd give it another shot though if they released it on the Switch (hopefully with some QoL enhancements).
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #762 on: June 10, 2020, 08:06:42 PM »
Super Mario Sunshine was a fun and unique game but some parts were horribly broken.
I always felt it was Nintendo's answer to Sonic Adventure and Rare's platformers and by the time it shipped in 2002 that ship had sailed and everyone had moved on from that type of game.

Plus, something tells me Nintendo's decision to downclock the GPU of the GameCube from 200mhz to 162mhz in 2001 caused some issues with the 1st gen games that were not discussed at the time.
🤴

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #763 on: June 11, 2020, 06:57:28 AM »
The FLUDD death scene was the most embarrassing thing Nintendo has ever done except for Wii Music.
🍆🍆

Tasty

« Reply #764 on: June 11, 2020, 11:17:55 AM »
I don't think I ever played Sunshine. Like I have memories of playing it at a friend's house but they're extremely tenuous memories lol. 

Switch port with the BS missions smoothed out would be tight. Dunkey's video also reminded me how fucking well that game holds up visually, holy shit. :o

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #765 on: June 11, 2020, 11:54:17 AM »
I don't think I ever played Sunshine. Like I have memories of playing it at a friend's house but they're extremely tenuous memories lol. 

Switch port with the BS missions smoothed out would be tight. Dunkey's video also reminded me how fucking well that game holds up visually, holy shit. :o

Thats dolphin footage at 2560x1440 at least
What

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #766 on: June 11, 2020, 12:08:25 PM »
Sunshine rules, dunkey is right.

It has a little something for everyone.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #767 on: June 11, 2020, 12:49:58 PM »

More the art style, lighting, animation fluidity and water. I knew it was up-resed.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #768 on: June 11, 2020, 01:36:58 PM »
Just wait until you play it at 480i / 25fps blurro-vision  :rejoice

or 50hz on a PAL machine  :whew
🤴

bluemax

« Reply #769 on: June 12, 2020, 12:16:06 AM »
I played a lot of Sunshine, but also I never owned an N64 so I hadn't played that much Mario 64 because N64 emulators still sucked around that time.
NO

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #770 on: June 12, 2020, 12:47:05 AM »
Sunshine needed a couple more months of polish. The most frustrating parts were controls and the bugs, which likely could have been fixed if they had a little more time. It’s my least favorite mainline Mario game but I’d buy a Switch port of it if they attempted to fix some of the issues. My view on the game has softened because a lot of the concepts they had in mind were fully realized with Odyssey.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 12:51:37 AM by Olivia Wilde Homo »
🍆🍆

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #771 on: June 12, 2020, 01:00:30 AM »

More the art style, lighting, animation fluidity and water. I knew it was up-resed.
gamecube hardware  :whew  :bow :bow :bow artX :bow2 :bow2 :bow2 :bow2

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #772 on: June 12, 2020, 02:45:24 AM »
The secret levels were great, but there is just so much bullshit in this game that has nothing to do with mastering the mechanics IMO.

The watermelon festival, the rollercoaster stuff and the lilypad level were just frustrating and borderline broken and that’s just off the top of my head.
this is valid and I think it's a lot easier to forgive the game if you're ten and you've got like infinite free time to sink into it... This was the second game I got for GameCube after Wind Waker and it's still etched into my memory as one of my fondest childhood experiences
每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #773 on: June 12, 2020, 09:46:23 AM »
Who doesn’t love chasing Shadow Mario Bowser Jr, around 20 times and doing the exact same thing over and over again? :rage

Yeah what shosta said is right, I have fond memories of crappy games like WWF Raw for the SNES  :lol
But I was 19 when Sunshine came out. :existential

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #774 on: June 12, 2020, 11:42:49 AM »
Galaxy 1 and 2 are so much better than sunshine trash
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #775 on: June 12, 2020, 04:58:29 PM »
This is now the Super Mario Sunshine thread of all thing Super Mario Sunshine

🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #776 on: June 12, 2020, 11:43:50 PM »
SHINE GET!
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #777 on: June 13, 2020, 01:29:19 PM »
X-Play made fun of that back in the day and it stuck in my head and now attaining any reward in video games is translated in my mind to "____ GET!"

"You got a Star!" in Galaxy just doesn't ring the same triumphant way.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #778 on: June 17, 2020, 06:40:28 PM »
Can we all take a moment to appreciate these two gems right here

Cant wait for his new conference videos tho
What

Svejk

« Reply #779 on: June 17, 2020, 11:00:26 PM »
That PS4 Conference was Dunkey at his Prime.  By far my favorite of his shit.  :lol