Author Topic: 2018 US Midterm Elections | OT |  (Read 30491 times)

agrajag

Re: 2018 US Midterm Elections | OT |
« Reply #300 on: November 07, 2018, 07:12:01 PM »

Now I know youre lying or you don't know how it works or won't say you've heard. How's the snow up there?

Ive invested more money in foodstuff then you'll make in your life. Not insulting, just saying...know who youre talking too before you obfuscate.

I can gladly have the moderators here validate my employment if that's what you require. You're rambling about shit no one cares about and about things that make no sense.

I tend to do this. You'll get use to it. I'm argumentative and wrong, witty and stupid, etc. Just roll with it.

I take it back, Assy could never be this self-aware.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #302 on: November 08, 2018, 12:01:46 AM »
"Please give us your address, so we can use that data to put you on mailing lists for life"

kingv

« Reply #303 on: November 08, 2018, 12:08:06 AM »
I always fill out trumps push surveys and send them back. I figure they pay 50 cents or so per, and a little bit to actually process the results... so might as well waste their money.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #304 on: November 08, 2018, 12:13:35 AM »
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #305 on: November 08, 2018, 12:35:26 AM »
There's a number of them in there that read weird because they just mashed the words in almost randomly it seems. BAN NO WALL. PEACE NOT WAR MATTER WINS. LESS SHE.

benjipwns

« Reply #306 on: November 08, 2018, 12:37:40 AM »
"Please give us your address, so we can use that data to put you on mailing lists for life"
I'm not convinced this isn't the main underlying goal of modern politics. Similar to the NSA's whole "collect all the data in the world, store it forever, then figure out how to parse it later, maybe" plan.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #307 on: November 08, 2018, 08:53:28 AM »
AiA in the house? How you doin my dude?

*reads posts*

...so, drunk and/or high ;)
yar

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #308 on: November 09, 2018, 01:29:04 AM »
Live within an hour of a farm, brehs.

I live in the middle of blood-red, rural Oklahoma, my dude. There's nothing around but cow pastures and farm land.

Then move. Because if you all keep pushing they are going to quit growing, that movement is coming. Sat it on one of those meetings. Scary isn't it?

But I'm sure fucktard A above can Google how to grown beans and make it happen....

Just saying guys. The other side has been hearing what you say. And their response will be measured. Be careful.

Not ringing a bell here btw, just saying, takes two to tango, stop calling everybody a gun toting hillbilly.

I get what you're saying. But I'm fucking SCREAMING at this post rn. Thank you so much for the comedy. You think insulting the other side is gonna listen when you pull the same shit they do on those farmers, dude? :doge

"Respect each other, stop all the insulting"
"You and your job don't matter"

Yep, AIA is back. Everyone that disagrees is a liar or a moron, but please don't be mean.

:dead Assy v. 1.0 has rebooted.
----

IN ANY CASE: Florida results wise: Duval going blue for once in it's life is utterly surprising. Generally it's a hardcore Republican county. So the fact that it went Democrat along with most of the traditional counties (read: college towns/cities) is insanity to me.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #310 on: November 14, 2018, 05:32:10 PM »

It's not shown on the chart, but the last time that turnout was this high in a midterm election was 1914.
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #311 on: November 14, 2018, 06:24:49 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

It's not shown on the chart, but the last time that turnout was this high in a midterm election was 1914.
whats it look like when you take out the million of illegals votes

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #312 on: November 14, 2018, 06:31:53 PM »
You mean the votes from people that swap hats and shirts and then vote again?
Those people?
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #313 on: November 14, 2018, 06:40:43 PM »
https://medium.com/@yghitza_48326/what-happened-last-tuesday-part-2-who-did-they-vote-for-e3a2a63a5ef2

Demographic breakdown of voting in House races, should be more solid than the exit polls.

shosta

« Reply #314 on: November 14, 2018, 09:31:38 PM »
I like that the Trumpidency didn't cause more youth to turn out, and instead it went down 33% from 2016.
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #315 on: November 14, 2018, 09:34:08 PM »
Up from the last midterms. :trumps
©@©™

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #316 on: November 14, 2018, 09:51:49 PM »
That's percent of the electorate and turnout was high for a midterm, so there was an increase in youth turnout compared to 2014.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #317 on: November 14, 2018, 09:57:44 PM »
Those numbers are as the percentage of the electorate and that's with turnout spiking, so probably raw turnout was up 40-50% compared to 2014. More turnout numbers from those guys here.

This is new stuff and so there will probably be some back and forth on this methodology vs. ANES or whatever, but it's been tweeted by a couple stat nerds I trust and it's almost definitely better than the dang exits.

If I were a GOP strategist I'd be pretty worried that the results were this bad without youth turnout coming anywhere close to presidential cycle numbers.

shosta

« Reply #318 on: November 14, 2018, 09:58:38 PM »
I'm just lamenting the usual dropoff between presidential and midterm.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #319 on: November 14, 2018, 10:07:16 PM »
2020 could be the next 2008: Dems ride the momentum of a big midterm win against an unpopular GOP president, add the presidential cycle youth turnout for a second consecutive wave election, taking the White House just as the economy craters, completely bogging down the new administration and leading to a wipeout in 2022 as people start freaking out about the "deficit" again. Only this time there aren't enough Senate seats to pass anything and whatever you get through there is knocked down by the Supreme Court 6-3 cause RBG croaked.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #320 on: November 15, 2018, 01:49:12 AM »
2020 could be the next 2008: Dems ride the momentum of a big midterm win against an unpopular GOP president, add the presidential cycle youth turnout for a second consecutive wave election, taking the White House just as the economy craters, completely bogging down the new administration and leading to a wipeout in 2022 as people start freaking out about the "deficit" again. Only this time there aren't enough Senate seats to pass anything and whatever you get through there is knocked down by the Supreme Court 6-3 cause RBG croaked.

:-\ yeah I've been thinking about this too, it's about what I expect ...
QED

El Babua

« Reply #321 on: November 15, 2018, 02:02:07 AM »
Just have Hillary run again, lose to Trump again, then we get the real revolution.  :doge

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #322 on: November 15, 2018, 06:50:49 AM »
Jeb! should run as a Dem

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #323 on: November 15, 2018, 09:01:47 AM »
Bob Avakian should run as a Dem.
©@©™

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #324 on: November 15, 2018, 02:08:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/AlecMacGillis/status/1063135679897628672

Cordray losing is gonna cost Dems for another decade.

shosta

« Reply #325 on: November 15, 2018, 02:23:24 PM »
could always turn to federal courts to force a redistricting
每天生气

Bebpo

« Reply #326 on: November 16, 2018, 02:08:47 AM »
So, a week+ late but my county finally flipped to all blue for the first time since WWII. Good times.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #327 on: November 17, 2018, 08:01:12 PM »
https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/pa5b8z/progressives-unseated-all-59-republican-judges-up-for-re-election-in-houston-in-the-midterms

Now that's a banner headline: "Progressives unseated all 59 Republican judges up for re-election in Houston in the midterms"

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #328 on: November 17, 2018, 08:42:11 PM »

i lowkey hope the economy craters early next year, i am filth
duc

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #329 on: November 19, 2018, 11:34:46 PM »

i lowkey hope the economy craters early next year, i am filth

I 100% do too except for the bit where everyone I love is going to suffer
QED

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #330 on: November 19, 2018, 11:50:28 PM »
The solution to that is not to love.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #331 on: November 20, 2018, 01:09:59 AM »
The upcoming recession won't be too bad but the recovery will be a beautiful, painful shitshow. The government has no money to do much of a stimulus and the president won't accept a solution crafted by the incoming House. To think that a year ago, everyone was placing reservations for blowjob-limos using their crypto/IPO earnings but now speculation in almost all investments has gone stagnant.

benjipwns

« Reply #332 on: November 20, 2018, 01:16:21 AM »
The upcoming recession
The Obama-Pelosi Recession?

Not to be confused with the Pelosi-Obama Recession of 2008-January 21, 2017.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #333 on: November 20, 2018, 08:23:28 AM »
I'm amazed at people that live long enough, yet still have faith in politicians to change lives. They're like political Nintendo fans.

"This time it will be different!"

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #334 on: November 20, 2018, 01:39:52 PM »
I mean it can happen, and it has actually happened to me - where the liberals have invested a ton of money into retaining people in tech to stay in Canada and promoting the Canadian tech industry.  So when I started grad school it was nearly a guarantee that I would have to work in the US and now I don't have to.  That being said the direct effect of most politicians on ones life is very small.  I'm also saying that as a no-homo white dude so experience may vary. 

ToxicAdam

« Reply #335 on: November 21, 2018, 09:51:56 AM »
.  That being said the direct effect of most politicians on ones life is very small.  I'm also saying that as a no-homo white dude so experience may vary. 

Sorry, I was being Americentric (like I always am). I have no doubt that other governments can actually help their people.

kingv

« Reply #336 on: November 21, 2018, 10:55:48 AM »
I mean it can happen, and it has actually happened to me - where the liberals have invested a ton of money into retaining people in tech to stay in Canada and promoting the Canadian tech industry.  So when I started grad school it was nearly a guarantee that I would have to work in the US and now I don't have to.  That being said the direct effect of most politicians on ones life is very small.  I'm also saying that as a no-homo white dude so experience may vary.

I think this probably true if you are solidly upper middle class and not loving the d.

But on the margins politicians have a big impact. Medicaid expansion or how that’s implemented can really impact people’s lives, and I see it at work for people applying for permanent residency. That process is a lot more complicated and perilous today.