Author Topic: Goku is a Real Piece of Shit  (Read 2826 times)

213372bu

Goku is a Real Piece of Shit
« on: January 12, 2018, 02:16:44 AM »
 DBZ touched on this a lot, but even at a lot of points it's played off as him being too childish. The worst he gets is Piccolo telling him off for not being a dad and sending his son to die for fun.

Even as someone who didn't like Goku growing up, he just keeps getting worse in Super.

On episode 82 right now of Super and he directly causes a tournament that will kill most of the universes in existence and refuses to throw a no-consequence match that would have prevented the universes from being destroyed. In-universe everyone calls him out as being an evil selfish asshole and he pretty much just laughs it off and finds it "interesting".

Same shit happens every arc and this man gets rewarded with some hair dye and some extra power to his tesla coils.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: Goku is a Real Piece of Shit
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 02:20:38 AM »
Vegeta has always been better than Goku where it counts, fatherhood, loyalty, duty, honor  :usacry #dbzdaddy

spoiler (click to show/hide)
piccolo the real mvd
[close]

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 02:40:59 AM »
spoiler from an episode a bit after but every single one of those universes were going to be erased either way. goku reminding zeno of the tournament guarantees at least one of them has a fighting chance

and piccolo is the real daddy

Tasty

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 03:04:42 AM »
Waaayyyy before TFS, when I was going through the original series as a kid, I thought Goku was a pretty good dad all things considered.

And then he gave Perfect Cell a fucking senzu bean for no reason in the Cell Games.

There was no coming back from that act in my eyes. Dude is a bloodthirsty pureblood saiyan just like the rest of them. That he's a complete idiot is merely due to a childhood accident, and does not absolve him - let alone make him a righteous character. If the choice was to allow the universe to be destroyed before fighting a more powerful opponent, he'd do it.

I haven't even seen Super yet but I've heard his idiocy there is on another level.

Himu

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 05:32:29 AM »
Nah. All the universes were going to go boom anyways if Goku hadn't said anything. You're acting like those buster universes bro
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 05:34:16 AM »
Waaayyyy before TFS, when I was going through the original series as a kid, I thought Goku was a pretty good dad all things considered.

And then he gave Perfect Cell a fucking senzu bean for no reason in the Cell Games.

There was no coming back from that act in my eyes. Dude is a bloodthirsty pureblood saiyan just like the rest of them. That he's a complete idiot is merely due to a childhood accident, and does not absolve him - let alone make him a righteous character. If the choice was to allow the universe to be destroyed before fighting a more powerful opponent, he'd do it.

I haven't even seen Super yet but I've heard his idiocy there is on another level.

Goku lets Vegeta live despite ALL THEY WENT THROUGH, ALL THEIR FRIENDS DEAD, because "please, Krillin, do me this favor. Let me fight him again, to become stronger." WHAT SHOW HAVE Y'ALL BEEN WATCHING ALL THIS TIME? This is LITERALLY WHAT HAPPENS.

Have y'all not read Journey to the West? Goku *is* Sun Wukong. Sun Wukong is a monkey who loves Earth's pleasures and cares most of all about getting stronger, new abilities, and respect. Goku doesn't care about respect, but he's Sun Wukong to a T. Any good he does is incidental with the fact that he craves to be strong or you hurt him personally.

spoiler from an episode a bit after but every single one of those universes were going to be erased either way. goku reminding zeno of the tournament guarantees at least one of them has a fighting chance

and this way they can go revive all the other universes with the dragon balls and everyone wins. I highly suggest the kids who grew up thinking Goku was Superman who does everything for the good and just to re-read Dragon Ball manga, from DB to end of Z. This has always been Goku.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:39:30 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 05:40:55 AM »
Superman > Goku

Himu

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 07:09:13 AM »
The saga that shows what Goku is about the most is the Red Ribbon Army saga. Goku sets out to get the four star ball that his grandpa had as a keep sake to remember him by. Then goes around using dragon radar to find the balls. The only reason he's doing any of it is to find his grandpa's ball. In the mean time, he kicks Red Ribbon's ass because they get in the way and try to stop him from getting the dragon balls, not because they're evil. Goku doesn't care. Goku just wants that dragon ball. The only time Goku stands up to evil is when they hurt one of his friends. It's not that Goku is an asshole. He just places fighting above being good. But he's pure hearted in his desire for strength. Goku has never been above that. Any time he deliberately confronts evil, it's always because someone hurts someone he cares about (Taopaipai hurts the Native family, Piccolo kills Krillin, the entire Saiyan saga, Freeza kills Krillin;etc.)

My take on Goku is a guy who seeks power and strength above all else in order to better himself as a martial artist. That isn't to say he's power hungry or he's malevolent. At the end of the day, despite priority number 1, he's still a guy with a heart of gold. He cannot stand hurting others willfully and likes to help people, but that will always be priority number 2. This makes Goku a great foil with a lot of characters. Whether it's his son who is the exact opposite (priority number 1 is the people he loves, no 2 is fighting), or his greatest rival (also loves fighting for improvement but never for the pure, innocent goal of getting better but to prove his superiority).

I personally have always found his character to be great and refreshing amid an assortment of heroes who always care about Doing The Right Thing (tm). The fact that Goku is almost always incidentally a hero is one of the reasons I find him appealing. That said, DBS does at times Homer Simpson/Ned Flanders-izes him, but he's still Goku being Goku.

And that's all the passionate Dragon Ball posts I can write late at night/early in the morning because I can't sleep...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:23:07 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 08:00:48 AM »
The Son Goku in Dragonball is barely anything like the Son Goku in Journey To The West and of the remote similarities were long gone by the time they got to DBZ.  Toriyama used the story premise of the latter as inspiration for the initial plot and then did his own thing.

Goku in DBZ and onward is totally an 'asshole' as described in the OP, yeah.   :lol  He just cares about fighting.  It is his fault that this tournament happened and a plot point in Super for a bit were the other universes blaming and targeting him for it.  Which reminds me...Zen-Oh is also an asshole.  Erasing the "weak" universes and killing billions and billions of lifeforms for no reason whatsoever?  What a pair of dickheads.  :doge

Am still waiting for either one or both of the Zen-Ohs to turn "evil" and fight Goku, who goes Super Saiyan 9000000 with rainbow hair and wins.

Don't get me wrong, though- I love me some Dragonball and watch the antics of Asshole-Goku and friends every week.   :lol  Him being the biggest "bad guy" reminds me of Barry Allen in the Flash TV show.  Kind of the same thing.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:06:00 AM by Dos Locos Tacos »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 08:07:34 AM »

Forgot about this.  :lol  And then earlier before he was Perfect Cell, Vegeta had a chance to kill him, but let him take his perfect form because Cell was taunting that he could beat Vegeta if he did this.

Fucking saiyans, man.  Fucking saiyans. 
ど助平

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 10:00:19 AM »
I don't think Goku wants to excel as a martial artist or anything, it's more that he gets off fighting and wants to fight stronger opponents. Everything else for him is secondary, and he doesn't seem to care that much about Chichi or Gohan. He obviously has a thing for Kuririn and gets pissed off when people die, but it's hard to see him actually caring about anything much past that, specially Chichi. Goku trained Gohan and later made sure Uub came back just so he was relieved of the burden of protecting Earth and could fuck off to god knows where in the universe and fight stronger dudes.

Ironically enough it seems that Vegeta is the one who's capable of loving his son and wife somehow, as much as this would hurt his saiyajin pride, even if he is a dumbass and still let his saiyajin instinct take over sometimes.

Chichi deserved better than this

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 10:00:56 AM »
goku was never intended to be the righteous-hero good guy type anyway - his whole persona was supposed to be for the purpose of always getting stronger, saving people was only a result of his goals. Not his intention. When they put him into animation they tried to mix that with the intention of being a good guy hero, which fucks everything up, and pissed akira toriyama off to no end, not sure if it still does.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 10:30:32 AM »
Vegeta has always been better than Goku where it counts,

piccolo the real mvd
[close]

Plus the daily dose. #ThanksDoc

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 12:56:14 PM »
maybe, but how often do you trust people you barely know, irregardless of goku's character, if he just accepted that hed be a dumb dumb.

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 01:55:13 PM »
That ain't the face of man who's worried about his son, that's the face of a man who just realized he'll have to spend another bunch of years in this shithole planet until someone else who's capable of protecting it shows up. Piccolo is the true daddy

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 03:02:50 PM »
goku was never intended to be the righteous-hero good guy type anyway - his whole persona was supposed to be for the purpose of always getting stronger, saving people was only a result of his goals. Not his intention. When they put him into animation they tried to mix that with the intention of being a good guy hero, which fucks everything up, and pissed akira toriyama off to no end, not sure if it still does.

Anime Goku is dumb but manga Goku sounds even worse.

Toriyama is trash. His work has only been worthwhile to the extent it inspired Oda-sama.

Idon'tknowher.jiff

Himu

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 03:05:58 PM »
I don't think Goku wants to excel as a martial artist or anything, it's more that he gets off fighting and wants to fight stronger opponents. Everything else for him is secondary, and he doesn't seem to care that much about Chichi or Gohan. He obviously has a thing for Kuririn and gets pissed off when people die, but it's hard to see him actually caring about anything much past that, specially Chichi. Goku trained Gohan and later made sure Uub came back just so he was relieved of the burden of protecting Earth and could fuck off to god knows where in the universe and fight stronger dudes.

Ironically enough it seems that Vegeta is the one who's capable of loving his son and wife somehow, as much as this would hurt his saiyajin pride, even if he is a dumbass and still let his saiyajin instinct take over sometimes.

Chichi deserves nothing.

Bitch up and decided she was gonna marry him one day. Dude doesn't even know what marriage even is but that doesn't stop her. She probably had to show him "how babies are made" books to teach him about sex. Chichi willfully forced a man that doesn't love her to marry her. Chichi made her grave.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 03:06:57 PM »
Nah. All the universes were going to go boom anyways if Goku hadn't said anything. You're acting like those buster universes bro
  Didn't the blue furry make a deal that if he won against Goku then none of the universes would have been destroyed?

Blue furry? Zen-o?
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 03:07:10 PM »
I like how Goku had a hot take on DBS when Trunks kissed Mai he was like ew gross.

He never kissed Chichi. :doge
[close]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:13:46 PM by D3RANG3D »

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 04:06:02 PM »
  Didn't the blue furry make a deal that if he won against Goku then none of the universes would have been destroyed?

Blue furry? Zen-o?
No, the cool wolf dude with the red scarf.

He did but it would never happen because he's fucking trash.

Also Goku was basically threatened to not job so...

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 04:08:05 PM »

Chichi deserves nothing.

Bitch up and decided she was gonna marry him one day. Dude doesn't even know what marriage even is but that doesn't stop her. She probably had to show him "how babies are made" books to teach him about sex. Chichi willfully forced a man that doesn't love her to marry her. Chichi made her grave.

And all because he touched her on her vagina and wondered why there were no balls IIRC :lol

That was Bulma he did that to so she's to blame  :doge

Tasty

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 04:19:12 PM »
To be fair Bulma was trading that trim to anyone who asked back in the day.

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »
Chichi deserves nothing.

Now that you mentioned

I wonder how she lives with that

Tasty

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 04:21:02 PM »
Chichi deserves nothing.

Now that you mentioned

I mean she gets to fuck the strongest man in the universe. Probably not often but still.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 04:21:08 PM »
OG Dragon Ball > All other Dragon Ball
dog

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 04:23:49 PM »
Chichi deserves nothing.

Now that you mentioned

I mean she gets to fuck the strongest man in the universe. Probably not often but still.

She probably did that exactly twice

Boredfrom

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 05:00:06 PM »
I always surprised when people just realize that Goku is supposed to be a egoistical dick when is about fighting. The OG Dragon Ball  always painted him like that, even if he was still likeable. Maybe that is the advantage of seeing the original series first before Z.

I kind of prefer he being egoistical than just outright dumb like sometimes he is portrayed in OG,Z,GT or Super, He is supposed to be dumb, but not r-wordOHGOD. Super at least at times tries to get him some daily life motivations or joys at times.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 06:24:21 PM »
yea fam, goku is my fav too

none of the other characters drive the plot

Purple Filth

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 06:26:28 PM »
My favorite Goku moment in Super is when he beats up some goons who jumped him and tells them to get a job.

Well he is a farmer now so he has a job :jawalrus

And apparently he actually patted Chichi's genitals with his foot to determine her gender  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

To be fair Bulma was trading that trim to anyone who asked back in the day.

Not to Roshi but he was able to see what he wanted due to Goku's shenanigans so it works out.  :doge

As for Goku i don't mind him too much as a character since its Shonen but its now obvious the Z anime added some amount of additional heroism and its throwing people who watched that version way off due to how much of an idiot he is really.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:46:09 PM by Purple Filth »

Himu

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 09:44:41 PM »

Blue furry? Zen-o?
No, the cool wolf dude with the red scarf.

That dude was a scrub and was just trying to get a rise out of everyone.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2018, 09:52:22 PM »
Gohan is my favorite, then future Trunks, then Vegeta, then Goku. But I can't hate the man.

I also like how in Super Goku even openly admits and recognizes that him being good is a side thing to fighting the best there is.

Chichi deserves nothing.

Now that you mentioned

By making her baby boys into spoiled brats.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 09:58:31 PM »

Anime Goku is dumb but manga Goku sounds even worse.

Toriyama is trash. His work has only been worthwhile to the extent it inspired Oda-sama.

???

Luffy is similar to Goku. He's not as brain dead, but Luffy doesn't care who he fights if they're in the way of his comrades. Dude is a pirate and therefore doesn't really do a lot of things to be "the good guy". He mostly just does it because they piss him off. Luffy doesn't set out to do things to be a hero and even outright looks down upon people he finds to be weak (second chapter, read what he says to Coby). Despite everything, Luffy and co. do things that could be, as far as the law is concerned, be considered bad. But he's so pure hearted and tries to do the right thing no matter the outcome which is why he's considered a hero to some, but a villain to others, depending on their perspective. He's not that far away from Goku. Come on. It's just that Oda perfected the archetype.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2018, 10:29:05 PM »
Is this the new Star Wars thread? :lol

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2018, 10:46:59 PM »
im rewatching super but with english dub now and tbh there seems to be a lot of foreshadowing early on vegeta is going to end up the strongest,

Himu

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 11:14:28 PM »
im rewatching super but with english dub now and tbh there seems to be a lot of foreshadowing early on vegeta is going to end up the strongest,

How's the dub version?
IYKYK

Syph

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2018, 01:17:55 AM »
:bow :bow2
piccilo is a bad ass
that being said, teen gohan best character :lawd
XO

Himu

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2018, 01:24:08 AM »
Teen Gohan is indeed the GOAT.
IYKYK

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2018, 07:22:57 AM »

How's the dub version?

Definitely not on par with Z, but a lot of the main staples are there - so still enjoyable.

Himu

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2018, 08:50:41 AM »
Uhhhh, Z's original dub? Because that was shit.
IYKYK

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2018, 08:51:29 AM »
theres a shit one and a good one, the good one.

Himu

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2018, 08:52:24 AM »
Uhhhh, no. The Ocean dub? Or the Funi re-dubs (which are actually good)?
IYKYK

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2018, 08:54:41 AM »
I dont really talk in dub lingo, i think the original youre talking about never got shown here, and the funi re-dubs were the OG dub for me. Anyway, like i said theres a shit one and and good one, super isnt as good as the good one, but a lot of the staples that made the good one good are still there.

Tasty

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »
The DBZ Kai dub was fantastic.

Himu

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2018, 02:33:35 PM »
It really is.
IYKYK

Hock

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2018, 03:26:05 PM »
From what I've seen of it, the Super dub is closer to Kai than Z.

Himu

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Boredfrom

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2018, 03:31:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/Zeddy_Beat/status/952164890025910273

I fucking love that quote...

But they confirmed that was just Funanimation taking the piss during the Beta. It was eliminated in the actual game.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2018, 04:35:24 PM »
team gohan
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2018, 04:41:25 PM »
#TeamGohan
#TeamVegeta
#TeamPiccolo
#PiccoloIsGohansRealDad

#NeverGoku

Himu

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2018, 04:44:59 PM »
I love the purple gi outfit for adult Gohan in DBFZ. Finally my main can rep his true daddy in adult form. Always loved his purple gi. Needs to bring it back tbh.
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩