Author Topic: Cult Movie Thread (for movies too old or weird to go in the other thread)  (Read 20117 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: Cult Movie Thread (for movies too old or weird to go in the other thread)
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2018, 12:41:07 AM »
 :trumps
每天生气

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2018, 12:43:09 AM »
Wow, what an asshole.  I think you need a warning in red text.  User was warned to watch the movie next time.
 :nothot
ど助平

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2018, 12:43:16 AM »
next time watch with me, bb

For sure. Shostakovich is out of the Butter Cream Gang. He can move to Chicago and become a Latino gang member for all I care.
serge

shosta

« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2018, 12:44:43 AM »
Jokes on you, my arrest record already lists me as "Hispanic"!
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2018, 12:45:09 AM »
Us true Butter Creamers gotta stick together, we're all we have. We really are the last of us  :jawalrus

TVC15

« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2018, 12:46:55 AM »
Us true Butter Creamers gotta stick together, we're all we have. We really are the last of us  :jawalrus

Now he’ll never learn the secret of treasure mountain.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2018, 09:38:15 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2018, 10:05:31 PM »
you people would just make it about how much hellraiser sucks every ep, it'd be like when Mike goes off on Trek tangents only not funny and great.

Tasty

« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2018, 10:09:21 PM »
Nah I guarantee my many frequent anti-Hellraiser rants would be genuinely entertaining and fresh each time.

I'd also prattle on about how Studio 54: Director's Cut is legit great, Tron: Legacy is an action sci-fi classic, and Cloud Atlas was just the right length and not long at all.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2018, 03:17:54 AM »
Sybil Danning had a terrible career  :lol
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
comet is about to air johnny mnemonic:
https://www.comettv.com/watch-live/

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
Who remembers this?

Rose McGowan bathtub scene. After seeing her in this it's the only type of girlfriend i wanted and sought after for many many years.

:mouf

TVC15

Really disappointed that his Riverdale ep wasn’t gayer.
serge

Tuckers Law

Does Repo Man count as cult enough for this thread, or is it too popular?  I rewatched it recently, movie still kills for me.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Watched Something Wild the other night. Melanie Griffith plays a saucy trashbag that gets Jeff Daniels, a recently divorced NY suit, to join her on a sex romp to her home town somewhere in Pennsylvania where her ex trashbag boyfriend Ray Liotta lies in wait. They really go all in on the Wild theme, they listen to Wild Thing a lot, even have a hippie play an acoustic cover.

Next up; Smooth Talk

Laura Dern, 1985

:whew
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
(Image removed from quote.)

Does Repo Man count as cult enough for this thread, or is it too popular?  I rewatched it recently, movie still kills for me.

Cult status: Valid as fuck.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
October is horror month, so I've decided (at least for me) that April is Sci-Fi/Fantasy month. I watched a couple of movies to start off with...

Red Sonja (1985)

Okay, just for comparison, Conan's origin is that his family was murdered and he was sold into slavery and got strong af by pushing a big wheel for a couple of decades. Red Sonja's origin is that her family was murdered and she gets gang-raped almost to death for spurning an Evil Lesbian Queen's advances and then a Valkyrie decends onto the battlefield and gives her strength. I don't have my PhD in Gender Studies (yet) but I feel like there's maybe something sketchy going on there.
:thinking

As for the movie, well it's obviously no Conan the Barbarian. It compares more favorably to Conan the Destroyer, but I'm not sure that it's the better movie. The main problem is a decent chunk of the movie is taken up with Sonja having to babysit a Short Round starter kit. I'd completely forgotten that kid was on the movie, I would have traded him for Grace Jones or Wilt Chamberlain in a second. Brigette Nielsen does a fine job and even that fat comic relief guy is good, but ugh, that damn little kid. (Who went on to star in TMNT 2: Secret of the Ooze, I can't help but notice. :lol )

Battle Beyond the Stars (1980)

This is probably the most expensive movie Roger Corman ever produced, and he got every penny's worth out of it because the special effect shots and the booming James Horner theme showed up in a dozen other movies. If you've never seen it, the plot is "let's remake Star Wars and the Seven Samurai". It's an okay movie, it starts off pretty decent with John Boy Walton going on a mission to recruit some mercenaries to fight about the evil John Saxon, but once the group is recruited the film starts to drag. The "epic" space battles at the end were obviously straining the film's budget as far as Corman would let it go. There are very few ships on screen at once and a lot of shots of one ship shooting and then cut to another ship shooting, then an explosion. It feels low energy.

But Sybil Danning as Saint-Exmin tho.

nuff said, my dudes
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
The Dark Crystal (1985) and Spaceballs (1987)

The Dark Crystal is a movie I don't have a lot of nostalgia for. I thought it was weird and creepy as a kid. Even as a young adult, when 80's nostalgia was big and there were comic books and novels and rumors of a film sequel, I watched it again and didn't care for it too much. It's only seeing it now for I think the 3rd time that I can finally appreciate it. The craftsmanship is wonderful, but I think what I like the most about it is that it's played totally straight. Post-Shrek, all these fairytale movies for kids have to have fart jokes and pop-culture references and adult humor and maymays, but The Dark Crystal is just a nice little movie about puppets gong on a Lord of the Rings adventure, and I can appreciate that.

Spaceballs is the exact opposite. Nothing is played straight, it's full of dick jokes, John Candy wears a fursuit and is named Barf, and I loved it when I was a kid. When I was in high school and got a DVD player for Christmas, Spaceballs was one of the first DVDs I bought, and there was a time when I watched it almost every day for a couple of months. But now I just can't enjoy it the same way I used to. I don't hate it, but the jokes are too juvenile and the parody too eye-rolling. There are still some bits that I think are really good, like watching the Spaceballs VHS tape to find out where the Princess is and Spaceballs: The Flamethrower* but overall it just gets a meh from me these days.

©@©™

TVC15

Both those movies suck. First time I saw Dark Crystal, at a friend’s house, I got so bored that I went in their bathroom and took all their cold-related medicine and ended up throwing up on their carpet and staining it.

Dark Crystal sucks. A total boring misfire.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I had a package with Conan the Barbarian and Flash Gordon on Blu-Ray that was supposed to be delievered yesterday, but it got delayed, so I watched Forbidden Zone and The Running Man on Amazon Prime instead.

Running Man has the most packed credit sequence of all-time. First, get a text scroll telling us that it's set in the shitty future of 2017 (good call, Stephen King) where an authoritarian leader crushes all protest and dissent and placates the masses with fake news and a stupid TV show. Arnold is a police helicopter pilot that gets ordered to shoot into a non-violent food protest. He refuses, but the protesters get gunned down anyway and he gets framed for the massacre and thrown in prison. In the prison, he teams up with some resistance fighters to stage a prison break and escape to freedom. Then the credits are over.

Still not as good as the Forbidden Zone opening credits, tho.

©@©™

TVC15

Forbidden Zone <3

serge

etiolate

Forbidden Zone is great.

Doom Generation was so bad that I couldn't even trash love it. Sorry Rose McGowan. I think what hurt that movie is hearing the director's view that teens were too afraid of sex and comparing himself to John Hughes.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
TVC, I found a movie that needs you attention:

dog

TVC15

“Ooooo lots of kids. Mmmmmmmm lots of fun”
serge

TVC15

Anyway, that looks fantastic, but I’m not sure I can handle that if I can’t drink :(

Luckily I found the first worthwhile Star Wars product.

serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Finally, a Star Wars buttplug.
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Technically, that's just a bad, forgotten movie, not a cult-movie. But I thank you for your service.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Society is a slow burn, but when it gets there... :lawd
©@©™

Tasty

I watched Serial Mom last week. Grade A 👌🏻

VomKriege

• Do the moron

Cult status: Valid as fuck.

Repo Man is great. Love all the generic packaging in the store.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Dir. Alex Cox is unappreciated.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
So as you may or may not know, our corporate overlords have delievered unto us Uncle Drew, which despite it's dubious origins, critics are raving that it's "a totally formulaic sports movie" and "periodically funny." But you know what would really be hilarious? What if there was a really garbage movie about people looking for trashbags full of money and it was sponsored by Glad? And instead of filming an ending to the movie, it just ended with a contest where the movie go-ers had to guess where the final gladbag was to win $1 Million? And what if the movie grossed under $1 Million total? Now THAT'S periodically funny!

Million Dollar Mystery was directed by Richard Fleischer (Soylent Green, 20000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mandingo 🍆), in his final time in the director's chair. Dino De Laurentiis was the one that produced and had the brilliant idea for this disasterpiece. The idea being, will people watch a bad remake of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World where no one in it is famous or funny if we turn it into a lottery ticket? The answer was no, because according to BoxOffice Mojo, the movie grossed a mere $989,033 off a $10 Million dollar budget. The $1 Million ended up being won by a 14-y/o kid, who made more off this movie that Dino De Laurentiis did.

©@©™

Tuckers Law

One of the earlier post-Disney Kurt Russel movies that is probably cult status at this point simply because of its age.  The movie is one of the first directed by Robert Zemeckis, and in it Russel plays a charming and sleazy car salesman with ambitions of becoming a local politician (because of the graft he'll get in such a position) who works at a used car dealership that's wrapped up in a bitter rivalry with the car dealership directly across the street, each one owned by a feuding twin brother (both played to perfection by Jack Warden).  There's a decent comedy mix of corny slapstick and "no movie today would get away with this stuff", but I can't help but love it for its charm.

shosta

« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2018, 02:22:56 PM »
Anyone remember that awesome Jackie Chan movie The Drunken Master (1978)? It's about a guy who learns the drunken fist technique, where he gets trashed before every fight and becomes an unstoppable fighter.

每天生气

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #155 on: August 08, 2018, 03:07:56 PM »
going to watch this n a bit, my ex used to love it

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #156 on: August 08, 2018, 03:56:04 PM »
Future Cops is good fun if you're into that sort of HK humour.

ὕβρις

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #157 on: August 08, 2018, 04:28:22 PM »
Watched Krull a month or so ago. Found out the fucking spider scene and the cyclops still creep me the fuck out. Especially his unceremonious death. I miss these sort of high adventure fantasy films.
:9

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2018, 07:46:15 PM »
Anyone remember that awesome Jackie Chan movie The Drunken Master (1978)? It's about a guy who learns the drunken fist technique, where he gets trashed before every fight and becomes an unstoppable fighter.

Drunken Master 2 is even more better-er.

shosta

« Reply #159 on: August 08, 2018, 07:49:23 PM »
Haven't seen. On my list now
 :nothot
每天生气

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #160 on: August 08, 2018, 09:47:15 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #161 on: August 08, 2018, 11:56:42 PM »

Drunken Master is a good film and iteration on the formula but it's very much a classic 70's film (young cocky moron get put through training from hell by a goofy looking but secretly hardass and wise old dude) and an early Chan film where he hasn't imposed his trademark personality on screen. Anita Mui brings a lot to the sequel and the fights are just insanely good even though I tend to think it's a bit overrated.
ὕβρις

agrajag

« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2018, 12:03:17 AM »
Shosta, watch the 36th Chamber of Shaolin

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2018, 09:07:06 PM »

Forgot about this gem from the early aughts. Up there with Dracula 2000 for me in nu metal goodness.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2018, 09:36:50 PM »

Drunken Master is a good film and iteration on the formula but it's very much a classic 70's film (young cocky moron get put through training from hell by a goofy looking but secretly hardass and wise old dude) and an early Chan film where he hasn't imposed his trademark personality on screen. Anita Mui brings a lot to the sequel and the fights are just insanely good even though I tend to think it's a bit overrated.

Ya. Shostakovich, can't tell if you are acting like Peter Parker to The Bore's Tony with that 'remember' comment now that you have been outed as a young child, but if you haven't seen Project A 1 & 2 and Police Story 1 & 2, that's where you get prime Jackie Chan.   

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2018, 02:38:35 AM »
Armour of God 2 as well. I'd throw in Wheels on Meal too.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #166 on: August 12, 2018, 11:50:51 AM »
Who Am I, too.  I mean really just watch all of Chans movies from the 80's to mid 90's.  Or mid 00's if you like Shanghai Noon. 

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #167 on: September 02, 2018, 09:17:18 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)

Angie Everheart
:mouf
[close]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 09:28:30 PM by toku »

shosta

« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2018, 03:26:06 AM »
I finally watched a movie that was on my list for a while and that's when I realized what Joe Molotov's avatar was
:ohhh

perfect film
每天生气

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2018, 03:58:09 AM »
That ending.  :delicious
©@©™

shosta

« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2018, 04:01:18 AM »
I did some reading and the author actually despised the final line they used in the film because it was vulgar and crude compared to the book's more human ending. Personally I lol'd
每天生气

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #171 on: November 22, 2018, 07:35:50 PM »
Finally watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Benicio del Toro is a better actor than Depp.

Production design is fantastic.

The movie has a stunning number of cameo appearances.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #172 on: November 22, 2019, 10:16:09 PM »
I finally watched Vice Squad.

Holy shit

I’m convinced Ramrod was sent back in time by Skynet to kill the leader of the hooker resistance.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:41:38 PM by Tuckers Law »

TVC15

« Reply #174 on: November 22, 2019, 10:20:57 PM »
I just watched DEMONI. Call me old fashioned but a razor being sensually dragged across a cocaine-covered nipple still gets me right here.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #175 on: November 22, 2019, 10:44:03 PM »
I just watched Human Traffick last night. Good-ass movie.

This is now one of my favorite movies ever.

"He who dares, my son, he who dares!"

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #176 on: December 08, 2019, 07:32:13 AM »
Did I post NEKROMANTIK yet? That shit made me feel sullied.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nekromantik

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: December 09, 2019, 08:52:32 AM »
Shout Factory has released new HD remasters of all of Bill Plympton’s feature films. No Blu-Rays yet, but they’re all available to rent on VOD sites. I rewatched The Tune, which looked great compared to the old DVD.

©@©™