Author Topic: Other Forums |OT| ♀ C O R E V A L U E S ♀ Sponsored By THQNordic  (Read 5905330 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The Other Forums Trash Thread for Other Forums' Trash
« Reply #19440 on: July 11, 2018, 06:42:42 PM »
She wasn’t representing her company, she was just exisiting

The part where an unqualified man told a qualified woman how her job works after she just explained it

That’s like the dictionary definition of mansplaining lmao
The nerve of that woman. Using the word asshat! She totally deserves gator scum going after her and her family.
Considering that Dreoir was being super polite I'm not sure how it's an insane request to expect similar civility from her.
Your concern trolling is very cute
No, we're not saying that at all. We've been saying no response would not have resulted in this outcome for many pages. That wouldn't "extend or withdraw" anything.

But apparently by isolating to a small subset of arguments then expanding it to a major position you can argue against is par for the course.
The ability for this to happen is part for the course with regard to private property.

That it doesn't always happen is circumstantial. Every day, someone may have the abiltity to murder you without consequence, and they often choose not to.

The point is rather that the ability for this to happen at all shouldn't exist. At the very least, the ability to deprive someone of a secure existence should reside within a much greater community than a group of owners of private property.

This argument is much closer to an argument about whether a slave owner should or should not have beaten or killed a slave. It's on that same moral and structural level.

On a completely disregarded level would be a conversation about whether the master-slave relationship is one that should continue to exist.

I don't see that level of argument about this case. There's room for it, though.
oh yeah, now we're going places baby :checkit

benjipwns

« Reply #19441 on: July 11, 2018, 06:45:17 PM »
Considering that Dreoir was being super polite I'm not sure how it's an insane request to expect similar civility from her.

This whole situation would be different if she had dealt with someone who was actually harassing her, she didn't though and so here we are.
Hey if you'd had things mansplained to you your whole life you'd probably be on edge too. Not saying it was right, but this isn't where the focus should be clearly. I guess it's about ethics in asshats now or something.
okay which of you is behind this thread, you're trying to pull one over on benji aren't you

benjipwns

« Reply #19442 on: July 11, 2018, 06:47:18 PM »
"Person" huh. Might want to be careful, your whistle is becoming fairly audible.
that means you're the dog Brandy

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #19443 on: July 11, 2018, 06:48:40 PM »
Mods must be having a discord fight over bans in that thread. BDS was banned, now she's not. The pro-Price vs anti-price bans are going back and forth like crazy.

benjipwns

« Reply #19444 on: July 11, 2018, 06:48:50 PM »
Quote from: Labor
I guess people think th only reason she was disciplined was because of gamergate pressure and not because she very publicly insulted a customer
Why did you think it “blew up”? And what about Arenanet at the very least considering the fucking ramifications of emboldening a hate mob who hate and targets outspoken women in games?
stay in your lane Labor

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19445 on: July 11, 2018, 06:50:14 PM »
Mods must be having a discord fight over bans in that thread. BDS was banned, now she's not. The pro-Price vs anti-price bans are going back and forth like crazy.
:rejoice
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #19446 on: July 11, 2018, 06:51:03 PM »
I mean, firing her really aggravated the GG crowd and left two productive developers without work.

I don't think her rudeness was worth that.

So looking at things in general, and considering how work is someone's entire livelihood, I think this should've been dealt with less severely/hastily.
the important business decisions

benjipwns

« Reply #19447 on: July 11, 2018, 06:52:13 PM »
Note to self: don't hire people who tell you at the job interview that they like to be assholes on social media.
if anyone needs to be actioned its Dennis here

benjipwns

« Reply #19448 on: July 11, 2018, 06:54:31 PM »
I'm not about to read 25 pages but an I assume that people aren't siding with gamer gate being a dumpster fire right? Like we're all in agreement of fuck GG I hope.
Not really any outright supporters. Just people doing their best to obfuscate the argument away from the horrible thing Arenanet did, and emphasize the atrocity that was calling an annoying/rude person on twitter one of a number of asshats.
HORRIBLE

ATROCITY

benjipwns

« Reply #19449 on: July 11, 2018, 06:55:47 PM »
I don't understand why so many people who support the firing are in this thread arguing and being angry. You got what you wanted! Smile and be happy instead!
They just want to be happy she’s fired without being called out for their dislike of outspoken women in games or worry about the implications that the firing has on people in the industry

benjipwns

« Reply #19450 on: July 11, 2018, 06:57:28 PM »
Who is saying she deserves the hateful scum being thrown her way?

This thread..
The only reason she was fired because GGer's got all upset. So, if you think her firing was in any way justified, then you think the hateful stuff being thrown her away is justified as well.
:delicious

benjipwns

« Reply #19451 on: July 11, 2018, 06:58:45 PM »
this dude know how to post on ERA properly:
Man I fucking hate Gamer Gate. I'm still researching the rest of the context though.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
unlike me, who can't post on the bore properly :doge
[close]

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19452 on: July 11, 2018, 07:02:25 PM »
In no other industry would the entire community be up in arms about a case that is between a employee and her employer and or their lawyers.

If she was fired unjustly there's a ton of things she can do that don't involve Al Gore's greatest invention.

Justine Sacco had the entire world talking about her tweet-based firing, she was PR manager for IAC

So I guess, no other industries other than gaming and holding companies
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #19453 on: July 11, 2018, 07:03:33 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/10291970/
Quote from: BDS
Some people in this thread are trying to have a legitimate conversation, such as PogChamp who was asking genuine questions about how to approach women in this sort of scenario and why they might react the way they do and seemed interested in learning. Others are merely trolling with Gamergate rhetoric, constantly changing the justifications for why she deserved to be fired, and choosing to focus on this controversy solely as a labor issue (in which we've apparently decided the corporation is the good guy) rather than a social issue as it is clearly being viewed by many women in this thread and elsewhere.

And am I going crazy or were you banned a second ago?
Somebody apparently decided to falsely report me for trolling and it got cleared up.
:whoo

benjipwns

« Reply #19454 on: July 11, 2018, 07:06:25 PM »
Somebody apparently decided to falsely report me for trolling and it got cleared up.
Fucking irony. these idiots are literally proving your point with their actions.

"Hey in a nice guy and not sexist at all but i think you should be reported!"

how have the mods not shut this thread down for being out of control yet, they've shut down discussion in threads with like seven total posts :lol

that discord must be seriously blowing the fuck up

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19455 on: July 11, 2018, 07:06:50 PM »
Benji you are just the very image of unbridled delight here
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #19456 on: July 11, 2018, 07:08:31 PM »
Benji you are just the very image of unbridled delight here
TOTAL MASS FUCKERY :lawd

I guess it's more convenient to think Journalists are just part of an agenda, and fellow devs that will never work at arenanet are voicing out of some false concern lmao.

BisMarckie

« Reply #19457 on: July 11, 2018, 07:08:35 PM »
I think ERA just broke Benji...

benjipwns

« Reply #19458 on: July 11, 2018, 07:09:31 PM »
Quote from: JesseEwiak
Well lets try to be productive then instead of yelling at each other. How should he have disagreed with what she said about dialogue options without coming off as mansplaining?

Maybe realize you're not the first or five hundredth dude trying to be "productive" and "suggest" how she should do her job?
one of me old GAF nemesis

nudemacusers

« Reply #19459 on: July 11, 2018, 07:11:24 PM »
I have to wonder why all the pearl clutching about poor devs being shackled to the responsibility of representing their company on social media 24/7 when they go out of their way to signal their association to their employer on social media.. surely this is internet 101 stuff they teach in college.

I don’t care enough to understand/untangle the rest of this but that angle I legit do not get.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

benjipwns

« Reply #19460 on: July 11, 2018, 07:11:31 PM »
I know some of them tried to infiltrate these forums and to this day they're still here playing dumb and showing their true colors from time to time; their behavior is pathetic.
ala marrec

benjipwns

« Reply #19461 on: July 11, 2018, 07:12:44 PM »
I have to wonder why all the pearl clutching about poor devs being shackled to the responsibility of representing their company on social media 24/7 when they go out of their way to signal their association to their employer on social media.. surely this is internet 101 stuff they teach in college.
you're talking about people doing repetitive manual labor right?

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #19462 on: July 11, 2018, 07:17:06 PM »
 :teehee

benjipwns

« Reply #19463 on: July 11, 2018, 07:19:02 PM »
That's some bullshit and I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I disagree with you on some points regarding the firing of JP but it saddens me to see this community resorting to crap like this. Era was literally born from taking a stand against this stuff and I seriously thought we could have some level-headed debate without resorting to that kind of crap but this thread is very quickly devolving into name calling and lines in the sand being drawn and I'm seriously not down with that.
every time they say JP i have to remember it's Price and not Daddy P :doge

nudemacusers

« Reply #19464 on: July 11, 2018, 07:20:11 PM »
you're talking about people doing repetitive manual labor right?
Speaking of manual labor I was shopping for clothes on my work computer the other day and I had to enter my card information since there was no cloud syncing etc like on my Apple devices. Really put it in perspective how difficult those in less developed countries have it.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19465 on: July 11, 2018, 07:21:44 PM »
I was wondering what the ban spike might be like today and checked out that graph page again, they have added a graph of threads with the most actionings!!

https://resetbanbot.github.io/graphs/

The world record is not that exciting, it's an extremely old post that they have kept open for 349 pages for some reason

I have no idea how the thread hasn't run its course/become unproductive yet
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #19466 on: July 11, 2018, 07:21:59 PM »
All I've seen is his case being conveniently ignored to push a narrative we really shouldn't push in the climate we have.

For fucks sake Battlefield 5 was not that long ago.
i always love, and this isn't just gamergate related, when these threads talk about some "EVENT" that should be a cultural touchstone of some kind like "Battlefield 5" not being that long ago...even though the game isn't coming out for months and he's talking about selected reaction to a teaser trailer

nudemacusers

« Reply #19467 on: July 11, 2018, 07:22:54 PM »
Did anyone mention ghostbusters 2016 yet
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Shuri

« Reply #19468 on: July 11, 2018, 07:23:21 PM »
that stat tracking site for REE is amazing.

BisMarckie

« Reply #19469 on: July 11, 2018, 07:24:07 PM »

i always love, and this isn't just gamergate related, when these threads talk about some "EVENT" that should be a cultural touchstone of some kind like "Battlefield 5" not being that long ago...even though the game isn't coming out for months and he's talking about selected reaction to a teaser trailer

I legitimately thought the poster was referring to World War II which would have made that post so much better  :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #19470 on: July 11, 2018, 07:25:06 PM »
second place thread is kendrick lamar, white girl, but it's listed twice (i assume each for warns/bans?)..it'd still be second if combined

third place thread is Sony/Fortnite/crossplay thread

benjipwns

« Reply #19471 on: July 11, 2018, 07:25:52 PM »
Hold up. You replying to someone with literal fucking barking, isn't trolling?

Goddamn, I could be getting away with so much more!
Can you just.... not?
okay, one of you HAS to have a bingo at this point

benjipwns

« Reply #19472 on: July 11, 2018, 07:26:52 PM »
Some of you are dead set on empowering GG to be the source of anything and everything. It's like all of you are begging an industry you believe has absolutely no capacity for autonomous thought when it comes to their personnel management to do something here. Funny thing is, if you were right Price would still possibly have a job from all the "Anet doesn't stand by its employees" parroting going on.
MODS ACTION ACTION

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19473 on: July 11, 2018, 07:27:49 PM »
that stat tracking site for REE is amazing.

next step they need to generate up some mod baseball cards with fun facts

Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #19475 on: July 11, 2018, 07:29:11 PM »
MOD EDIT:
With the approval of the OP we're adding articles and changing the title so that people will be able to catch up on and discuss the Guild Wars 2 firings and ArenaNet controversy. Previous threads on the subject have not gone well, so if this thread is going to last, it will need to be more tightly moderated. Please read and very carefully adhere to the following reminders and guidelines. Penalties in this thread may be tougher than usual for the sake of keeping the discussion civil.

1. Do not dismiss, downplay, or attempt to justify the ongoing harassment by hate movements or its role in the backlash.
2. Do not derail the thread with broad generalizations about journalism or specific media outlets.
3. Do not level inflammatory accusations, insults, or hostility at other users.​

For more information on the controversy that spawned this article, check the links below:

EuroGamer: ArenaNet fires two Guild Wars 2 writers over Twitter exchange with YouTuber
The Verge: Guild Wars studio fires two employees after clash with streamer
PC Gamer: Guild Wars 2 writers fired following heated Twitter exchange with streamer
Polygon: ArenaNet ‘folded like a cheap card table,’ says fired Guild Wars 2 writer
Kotaku: Guild Wars 2 Writers Fired For Calling Out Fan on Twitter
Rock, Paper, Shotgun: ArenaNet throw two Guild Wars 2 writers to the wolves

Additional background information:

Quote from: B-Dubs
For the record Jessica Price has been a target of hate movements for at least a year before her recent comments and firing. Several sites and subreddits popular among hate movements like r/Kotakuinaction and Kiwifarms had threads or comments labeling her as a "notorious SJW" when she left the company she previously worked at before Arenanet. The thread on the GW2 subreddit about her joining ArenaNet was locked by moderators after it was derailed by negative comments about her and her "politics" – https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6oplet/jessica_price_joins_arenanet_narrative_team/

It's simply not accurate to suggest that Jessica only became a target of harassment after she was already fired.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19476 on: July 11, 2018, 07:30:35 PM »
I was wondering what the ban spike might be like today and checked out that graph page again, they have added a graph of threads with the most actionings!!

https://resetbanbot.github.io/graphs/

(Image removed from quote.)

The world record is not that exciting, it's an extremely old post that they have kept open for 349 pages for some reason

I have no idea how the thread hasn't run its course/become unproductive yet

We're just waiting for people to return from their bans to re action them.

Fuck, they, I mean they.

benjipwns

« Reply #19477 on: July 11, 2018, 07:30:55 PM »
I can't, for the life of me, imagine a world where I would post almost 50 times daily in those types of threads.
Yeah, we know you wouldn't defend women from GamerGate. Just like with Hillary.

benjipwns

« Reply #19478 on: July 11, 2018, 07:32:24 PM »
Hey how do all of the people in this thread who think Price deserved to be fired also think Kamiya’s tweets are funny?
"Nonono, she was mean on the internet, and to top it all she was mean to a streamer!!!

Oh, did you read Kamiya's tweets today? God, I love him so much."
Well, he's a true legend. Price is just a SJW who should listen to every man on Twitter about what the proper way to do her job is, calmly and without incident.
But Kamiya's is japanese and work culture is different and he's a director and a higher position and he's his own boss, but not really, because he works under someone too, but he created the company .....or something.

wow, gamergate is truly everywhere

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #19479 on: July 11, 2018, 07:33:52 PM »
daaaaryl

daaaaryyyl

benjipwns

« Reply #19480 on: July 11, 2018, 07:34:05 PM »
She was almost totally fired because of hate mob pressure. If this shit blew over they'd still have jobs. I feel like anyone pretending that Arenanet wasn't backed into making an action is just naive.
backed into a corner by GAMERGATE!!!

benjipwns

« Reply #19481 on: July 11, 2018, 07:38:07 PM »
No, we're to the "gamers have the right to get any dev fired for their politics if they can bait them long enough into blowing up."
those poor manual laborers

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19482 on: July 11, 2018, 07:39:03 PM »
Hey how do all of the people in this thread who think Price deserved to be fired also think Kamiya’s tweets are funny?
"Nonono, she was mean on the internet, and to top it all she was mean to a streamer!!!

Oh, did you read Kamiya's tweets today? God, I love him so much."
Well, he's a true legend. Price is just a SJW who should listen to every man on Twitter about what the proper way to do her job is, calmly and without incident.
But Kamiya's is japanese and work culture is different and he's a director and a higher position and he's his own boss, but not really, because he works under someone too, but he created the company .....or something.

wow, gamergate is truly everywhere

I get that there are some people already popping up to defend kamiya there but still when you post about perceived hypocrisy like this

fucking provide receipts

like at least one
Uncle

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19483 on: July 11, 2018, 07:39:54 PM »
Kamiya is amazing.  All he does now is block anyone who tweets anything to him in English after telling them how stupid they are for not reading his pinned tweet saying he'll do just that.  :lol
ど助平

PogiJones

« Reply #19484 on: July 11, 2018, 07:42:00 PM »
I haven't actively participated in your specific discussion in this thread, but I have a quick question for you, why are you trolling people who are wanting a civil discourse with you?

Because they aren't deserving of a civil discourse. A forum that values marginalized members would have banned several of the users in this thread months ago.
BDS is a really underrated member imo
Did you guys see that BDS got banned for this post for (I think) 5 days for "trolling"? And that the ban has now been erased?

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19485 on: July 11, 2018, 07:42:35 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/serious-question-im-leaving-for-london-tomorrow-worst-timing-ever.54798/

Quote from: OP
Serious question, I'm leaving for London tomorrow worst timing ever!

Do I have to tell people I am from Canada or Mexico, instead of the US?

Is there danger? Should I explain I went to protest too? Im really trying to see the beautiful castles and history around London.

:derp

I was thinking of buying a Canadian t shirt from like Target and wearing it while there, I mean I want to go to pubs and stuff, I just don't want to get my ass kicked.

:dead
Uncle

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19486 on: July 11, 2018, 07:42:55 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-controversial-arenanet-firings-of-guild-wars-2-writers-read-op.54662/page-29

Quote from: DorkyMohr, post: 10292635, member: 32501
T
Quote from: B-Dubs, post: 10292378, member: 143
For the record Jessica Price has been a target of hate movements for at least a year before her recent comments and firing. Several sites and subreddits popular among hate movements like r/Kotakuinaction and Kiwifarms had threads or comments labeling her as a "notorious SJW" when she left the company she previously worked at before Arenanet. The thread on the GW2 subreddit about her joining ArenaNet was locked by moderators after it was derailed by negative comments about her and her "politics" – https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6oplet/jessica_price_joins_arenanet_narrative_team/

It's simply not accurate to suggest that Jessica only became a target of harassment after she was already fired.

Thank you, the fact that Price was fired so swiftly after the incident grants ArenaNet ZERO deniability that they weren't influenced by a hate mob. They caved as soon as it was convenient to.

:reeeee

Quote from: DerpHause, post: 10292614, member: 16861
Some of you are dead set on empowering GG to be the source of anything and everything. It's like all of you are begging an industry you believe has absolutely no capacity for autonomous thought when it comes to their personnel management to do something here. Funny thing is, if you were right Price would still possibly have a job from all the "Anet doesn't stand by its employees" parroting going on.

:drudge :drudge :drudge :drudge
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #19487 on: July 11, 2018, 07:43:04 PM »
This is one of the major things I think people need to grasp. There are devs and people in gaming being shitty on Twitter and rude to fans all the time. It's not uncommon. The behavior isn't mind bending, it's just that gamers are selective of what they will let go and almost 100% of the time they don't let shit go when it involves women saying things that are pro women.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #19488 on: July 11, 2018, 07:43:07 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/10293134/

Double standards are a myth to be honest.

"things I don't like are make-believe so that I may easily dismiss them"

benjipwns

« Reply #19489 on: July 11, 2018, 07:44:34 PM »
Female posters are being accused of getting preferential treatment from mods in this thread. It's far beyond hostile.

stufte

« Reply #19490 on: July 11, 2018, 07:45:10 PM »
I haven't actively participated in your specific discussion in this thread, but I have a quick question for you, why are you trolling people who are wanting a civil discourse with you?

Because they aren't deserving of a civil discourse. A forum that values marginalized members would have banned several of the users in this thread months ago.
Did you guys see that BDS got banned for this post for (I think) 5 days for "trolling"? And that the ban has now been erased?

yep, mods are apparently at odds. juicy, juicy odds.

benjipwns

« Reply #19491 on: July 11, 2018, 07:45:38 PM »
People if there is any one lesson to take away from this it's Chill and Let Chill. I think we're starting to get too hostile in here.
Actually no, I don't think people should chill just so moderates are comfortable.
HE SAID THE SECRET WORD           HE SAID THE SECRET WORD           HE SAID THE SECRET WORD           HE SAID THE SECRET WORD           

stufte

« Reply #19492 on: July 11, 2018, 07:46:57 PM »
Damnit benji, quit sniping me on these juicy posts.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19493 on: July 11, 2018, 07:47:15 PM »
WTF :lol

Quote from: Janna OP, post: 10292922, member: 3854
Quote from: newmoneytrash, post: 10292867, member: 4927
The difference isn’t the firing, it’s the outrage

People in this thread are condemning Price’s actions, acting like it’s unfathomable that she could possible act in such a way

Kamiya actively acts like an asshole toward his fans for sport and is celebrated for it

I wonder what the difference is
bark bark bark bark bark bark bark
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #19494 on: July 11, 2018, 07:47:41 PM »

The difference isn’t the firing, it’s the outrage

People in this thread are condemning Price’s actions, acting like it’s unfathomable that she could possible act in such a way

Kamiya actively acts like an asshole toward his fans for sport and is celebrated for it

I wonder what the difference is
bark bark bark bark bark bark bark
User banned (2 days): trolling, derailing
No, I really don't.

If I were to reply to you with "bark bark bark bark bark" and nothing else, I would be banned on the spot.
dw i gotchu bruh

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19495 on: July 11, 2018, 07:48:14 PM »
Kamiya is amazing.  All he does now is block anyone who tweets anything to him in English after telling them how stupid they are for not reading his pinned tweet saying he'll do just that.  :lol

You are easilly amazed.

That's an amazing response! :hyper
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #19496 on: July 11, 2018, 07:50:10 PM »
You can't have a conversation when people come in and pretend to be dumb instead of engaging in all the arguments presented.
This won't change until the mod team gets more on the case in this thread. And I honestly am losing any interest in engaging in good faith after the 20th
"Jessica price deserved this. What do you mean with Peter Fries? Who is that? Why is this about gender again?"

It is just absolutely baffling after 8 years of documented garbage people still cannot give the slightest big of empathy here. Every judgement is made in a vaccuum of personal bias.
8 years of GamerGate!

benjipwns

« Reply #19497 on: July 11, 2018, 07:51:57 PM »
Please get back on topic and stop sniping at each other personally.
pretty sure that IS the topic, B-Dubs

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19498 on: July 11, 2018, 07:52:02 PM »

I don't know if mods are at odds, I think they are just acting so quickly that they didn't look closely enough at which side BDS was on  :lol

Someone quoted multiple obvious troll posts saying "why are you trolling" and they said "because these people deserve trolling," which should be bannable, but oh wait it's trolling for a just cause

But remember:

Double standards are a myth to be honest.
Uncle

stufte

« Reply #19499 on: July 11, 2018, 07:52:49 PM »
I was following this ArenaNet thing from the beginning, and Kotakuinaction didn't even pick up on it until she got fired. It was mostly people on the GW2 sub and the official forums who were incensed by her behavior. People blaming GG instead of Price are pathetic.