Author Topic: Other Forums |OT| ♀ C O R E V A L U E S ♀ Sponsored By THQNordic  (Read 5905851 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The Other Forums Trash Thread for Other Forums' Trash
« Reply #19500 on: July 11, 2018, 07:53:22 PM »
developer's don't fucking 'serve' the people who buy their games. jesus christ. they don't, and should not, and to suggest otherwise says something PROFOUNDLY fucking depressing about the medium as an art form.

they owe NOTHING to people who are being assholes to them, whether they spend money on the game they helped make or not.
not applicable to stufte

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19501 on: July 11, 2018, 07:54:20 PM »
Hideki Kamiya was the director of some the most beloved video games, Jessica Price was one of the writers for an etoilet-tier MMO (a genre renowned for shitty writing). :thinking
©@©™

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #19502 on: July 11, 2018, 07:54:56 PM »
People talk shit about decisions I make on reddit all the time, but I'm not a fucking idiot. I'm not going to call them asshats or sexists or anything, because I'm not a huge fucking moron.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
And most of the art that is put in the game that people have opinions on are created by women.  :o
[close]

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19503 on: July 11, 2018, 07:56:53 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-controversial-arenanet-firings-of-guild-wars-2-writers-read-op.54662/page-30#post-10293246

There are literally "bark bark bark" from both sides now, which I personally never seen on this site before.

oh fuck

man I would pay money to see reset devolve into threads of nothing but "bark bark bark bark" at each other  :doge
Uncle

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #19504 on: July 11, 2018, 07:56:55 PM »
developer's don't fucking 'serve' the people who buy their games. jesus christ. they don't, and should not, and to suggest otherwise says something PROFOUNDLY fucking depressing about the medium as an art form.

they owe NOTHING to people who are being assholes to them, whether they spend money on the game they helped make or not.
not applicable to stufte

Wait, what has Jessica Price coded? Am I being bamboozled?

benjipwns

« Reply #19505 on: July 11, 2018, 07:56:57 PM »
Lack of empathy is a hard thing to work with.

This is something we've been discussing for years and years, how abusive and toxic interactions work, how it affects the people involved and where it comes from. There's not an easy way to contextualize everything that is happening right now without reaching unnerving parallels, realizing how quickly the general perspective can change depending on who is considered the victim, and the mental mental gymnastics behind every bit of effort to isolate each case in favor of dismissing urgent problems, going to a high level of inconsistency and narratives that only fits in benefit of each social bubble handled like a shiny shield.

It bears not only cognitive dissonance, but a really dangerous way of manipulating facts and filtering merely what affects the intimacy of specific personal spaces. It's not about that, them, it's about us and/or me.

We're going into places of insecurity, ignorance and fragility. Realities that are one-sided to its limits, pursuing hate for the sake of protecting itself, confronting every risk like a furious attack towards a unique perspective. Blowing things out of proportion, using scapegoats, marginalizing minorities and by consequence, hunting exploits to cowardly justify infuriating acts of injustice and toxic nature.

People are treated like humans only when they're part of a very special group, with the rights that they earned by...what exactly? Oh yeah, always being on the top and not having to deal with common problems which somehow they can't even figure out, that it's their own fault to begin with.

Developers like Kamiya are out there, shouting at fans and interactig the exact way they feel like. The difference? They're mostly white men, and that makes it just a joke, a charismatic behaviour and just their personal views which they are "allowed"/free to express, for the sake of freedom of speech, they say, when it suits better for them, obviously.

I can't not express how disgusted i am with the fragility of the community behind this, the insecurity taking over everytiume and creating basically witch hunts because people like Price are standing up for themselves and discussing well known issues with their honest viewpoint, which is ironically the most precious ideal within the kind of group attacking her.

Developers are humans, she deserves her own personal space and we need to stop pretending this woman crossed such a sacred line.

benjipwns

« Reply #19506 on: July 11, 2018, 08:01:20 PM »

not applicable to stufte

Wait, what has Jessica Price coded? Am I being bamboozled?
you're only asking because she identifies as a woman

we see you

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19507 on: July 11, 2018, 08:01:40 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-controversial-arenanet-firings-of-guild-wars-2-writers-read-op.54662/page-31#post-10293700

This sounds really similar to the Alison Rapp incident.

:whoo

Yes let's go in this direction

Nothing will test reset's moderation in this post-gaf era more

What job was she moonlighting at again...?
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #19508 on: July 11, 2018, 08:03:59 PM »
do you think that someone who works on a movie is beholden to serve anyone who watches their movie? are the readers of a book 'customers' of the author, and thus should the author always defer to the wills and opinions of their readers? is a painter a 'customer' of anyone who goes to their exhibition?

that's not, and will never be, how the interaction between the artist and consumer of art works
does the artist want to sell future works or nah?

stufte

« Reply #19509 on: July 11, 2018, 08:05:28 PM »
Labor, if you're reading this, I have your back. You are the light in the darkness. I hope you get banned.

BisMarckie

« Reply #19510 on: July 11, 2018, 08:05:38 PM »
"Villifying journalism" is on the rise on the resetera ban reasons list.  :doge

edit: Fuck the New York Times Prawda though!

benjipwns

« Reply #19511 on: July 11, 2018, 08:07:21 PM »
that post made me think of those old EGMs and GameFans i was reading when Capcom/Acclaim/Nintendo/etc. would blackball them for giving bad reviews to their games

benjipwns

« Reply #19512 on: July 11, 2018, 08:08:24 PM »
Adam Orth says Hi.
Adam Orth was years ago in the wake of one of the most unpopular gaming decisions ever. And he wasn't even fired inmmediatly (he actually resigned)
they really do intend on spending more time with their families!

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #19513 on: July 11, 2018, 08:09:11 PM »
Lack of empathy is a hard thing to work with.

This is something we've been discussing for years and years, how abusive and toxic interactions work, how it affects the people involved and where it comes from. There's not an easy way to contextualize everything that is happening right now without reaching unnerving parallels, realizing how quickly the general perspective can change depending on who is considered the victim, and the mental mental gymnastics behind every bit of effort to isolate each case in favor of dismissing urgent problems, going to a high level of inconsistency and narratives that only fits in benefit of each social bubble handled like a shiny shield.

It bears not only cognitive dissonance, but a really dangerous way of manipulating facts and filtering merely what affects the intimacy of specific personal spaces. It's not about that, them, it's about us and/or me.

We're going into places of insecurity, ignorance and fragility. Realities that are one-sided to its limits, pursuing hate for the sake of protecting itself, confronting every risk like a furious attack towards a unique perspective. Blowing things out of proportion, using scapegoats, marginalizing minorities and by consequence, hunting exploits to cowardly justify infuriating acts of injustice and toxic nature.

People are treated like humans only when they're part of a very special group, with the rights that they earned by...what exactly? Oh yeah, always being on the top and not having to deal with common problems which somehow they can't even figure out, that it's their own fault to begin with.

Developers like Kamiya are out there, shouting at fans and interactig the exact way they feel like. The difference? They're mostly white men, and that makes it just a joke, a charismatic behaviour and just their personal views which they are "allowed"/free to express, for the sake of freedom of speech, they say, when it suits better for them, obviously.

I can't not express how disgusted i am with the fragility of the community behind this, the insecurity taking over everytiume and creating basically witch hunts because people like Price are standing up for themselves and discussing well known issues with their honest viewpoint, which is ironically the most precious ideal within the kind of group attacking her.

Developers are humans, she deserves her own personal space and we need to stop pretending this woman crossed such a sacred line.

She deserves her own personal space... on Twitter... on a public forum... that she shouldn't be forced to make private... after posting a 20 post thread... about a Reddit AMA she did... about her professional work.

Jesus, its simply fucking delusional.

benjipwns

« Reply #19514 on: July 11, 2018, 08:10:24 PM »
That's not at all my point. They could have been looking over her shoulder as she posted the tweet and then fired her, they still were caving to hate mob pressure that had existed LONG BEFORE this incident.
So because someone is unpopular with a fringe radical group of Nazis means that anything they do shouldn't be acted on? Dude, GG is doing the same thing Trump did with those kids stuck in a cave with their coach. Do nothing then bandwagon on after the fact like it was all their doing. This is right wing rhetoric 101.
we officially up to Nazi's and Thai Kids in Putin's Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 cave now

BisMarckie

« Reply #19515 on: July 11, 2018, 08:11:23 PM »
Nazi is all I needed for my bingo :success

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19516 on: July 11, 2018, 08:11:27 PM »
Ferris Bueller writes a long and thoughtful post beginning with

This situation seems to bring to light the unfortunate snag that we as a community have when it comes to being critical of someone who is "on our side." If she had been exposed as alt-right, no doubt this thread would be full of laughing or reaction gifs, regardless of the validity of her claims. We can't be hypocritical when it comes to situations like this and forming some kind of narrative that Deroir is a bigoted GGer when he's clearly just a fan trying to have a conversation is gross, wrong and the kind of thing you'd expect from GG themselves.

seriously it's much more than that and quite reasonable, and even says her firing was "debatable," she doesn't deserve harassment, etc.

Holundrian replies

Peter Fries.

I'm just going to do this to every post coming in not engaging with anything that was said and pretending how their hottake of this being so justified cause "both sides or similar". Cause that's the level of answers that are deserved.

At mods: I'm totally fine getting a temp for this.

but not a perm plz thx
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #19517 on: July 11, 2018, 08:13:14 PM »
It is the same tactics used abd it’s absolutely deplorable how the industry and media threw her under the bus (and still does)

benjipwns

« Reply #19518 on: July 11, 2018, 08:15:57 PM »
Nazi is all I needed for my bingo :success
Congratulations! You win the grand prize of spending a week's paid vacation inside a Thai cave with your choice of:
A.) The stars of TVC's favorite YouTube videos
B.) Optimus and Assimilate and a single Daddy P book on audiotape

Please note: By reading the prize terms you agree to refuse to commit suicide.

stufte

« Reply #19519 on: July 11, 2018, 08:16:27 PM »
Enjoy your ban, 213372bu.

« Reply #19520 on: July 11, 2018, 08:17:14 PM »
That thread is interesting as the moderation clearly isn't on the side of the majority.  Aggressive posters are absolutely being protected for being on the "right side".

Not a good look.

PogiJones

« Reply #19521 on: July 11, 2018, 08:18:39 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-controversial-arenanet-firings-of-guild-wars-2-writers-read-op.54662/page-30#post-10293246

There are literally "bark bark bark" from both sides now, which I personally never seen on this site before.

oh fuck

man I would pay money to see reset devolve into threads of nothing but "bark bark bark bark" at each other  :doge
I'd like to see a thread where every "Bark bark bark bark" was responded to with "Bark bark bark bark," and every other post in the comment chain is banned, so you'd have to click back like 30 comments to see which side initiated the "Bark bark bark bark" thread to determine which opinion is officially sanctioned and allowed by the mods.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19522 on: July 11, 2018, 08:19:52 PM »
that thread is going to run its course any minute now, a lot of people are agreeing with Ferris Bueller's post calling out reset for their double standard
Uncle

BisMarckie

« Reply #19523 on: July 11, 2018, 08:20:22 PM »

Congratulations! You win the grand prize of pending a week's paid vacation inside a Thai cave with your choice of:

Easy, I take a) and wait for the farts to displace the oxygen :rollsafe

KarpalaJoe

« Reply #19524 on: July 11, 2018, 08:20:38 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-controversial-arenanet-firings-of-guild-wars-2-writers-read-op.54662/page-31#post-10293700

The moonlighting wasn't even the worse, she's free to do whatever she wants and did at least offer some pictures of her body for us to share (she had a fairly ok ass). The worst thing was that she was also advocating hard for "pedocriminals rights" and relations between children (7 years old +) and adults. She even wrote a 45 pages thesis for it. I can get past prostitution, even if it's sad a girl as young as her goes into that path, but prostitute yourself to pay your study and shit a 45 pages thesis about how pedocriminals are good people and should be able to have relations with children is something else.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #19525 on: July 11, 2018, 08:22:00 PM »
I now know what happened with the Guild Wars 2 controversy AMA.

benjipwns

« Reply #19526 on: July 11, 2018, 08:22:18 PM »
One of the best parts of this thread is how even the seemingly "wrong side of history" posters are accepting narratives like how this was a long time TOP MEN CENTRAL GAMERGATE OPERATION that caused her to finally snap just to moderate their position against the lunatics in hopes of the discussion being productive.

BisMarckie

« Reply #19527 on: July 11, 2018, 08:23:08 PM »

Give me a quick 3000 words(no less than that :bolo) rundown. I'll totally read it!

« Reply #19528 on: July 11, 2018, 08:25:05 PM »

The moonlighting wasn't even the worse, she's free to do whatever she wants and did at least offer some pictures of her body for us to share (she had a fairly ok ass). The worst thing was that she was also advocating hard for "pedocriminals rights" and relations between children (7 years old +) and adults. She even wrote a 45 pages thesis for it. I can get past prostitution, even if it's sad a girl as young as her goes into that path, but prostitute yourself to pay your study and shit a 45 pages thesis about how pedocriminals are good people and should be able to have relations with children is something else.

Remember when a well known and respected child protection activist spoke out about that and they called her a gator too? Good times

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19529 on: July 11, 2018, 08:25:12 PM »

Give me a quick 3000 words(no less than that :bolo) rundown. I'll totally read it!

https://www.resetera.com/posts/10293791/
Can someone point me to a TLDR post here describing what happened?

I have something better:

https://overland.org.au/2018/07/gamers-and-managers-vs-workers-the-impossible-and-gendered-standards-imposed-on-game-developers/comment-page-1/

:doge
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #19530 on: July 11, 2018, 08:25:26 PM »
People are focusing way too much on Deroir and acting like Price was in a long twitter feud with him. Price told him to buzz off and then went on to talk about what his reply was emblematic of. Ironically it's what most of the issue is around this discussion is about: get it through your head gamers, not everything is about you and not everything needs your input.
if i'm honest i'm 100% on team 'price did literally nothing wrong and actually developers insulting condescending 'civil and polite' shithead 'community leaders' is something the industry should be encouraging, really. gamers need to be taken down a notch
Yeah his tweets being continually framed as just a polite question is incredibly disingenuous
Deroir's comments may have not been framed as negative or whatever but they sure as hell wasn't necessary, stop dumping your low rent games ideas on random people involved in the development process.

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #19531 on: July 11, 2018, 08:25:56 PM »
One of the best parts of this thread is how even the seemingly "wrong side of history" posters are accepting narratives like how this was a long time TOP MEN CENTRAL GAMERGATE OPERATION that caused her to finally snap just to moderate their position against the lunatics in hopes of the discussion being productive.

But goddammit, don't talk about game journalism bias or conspiracies! We won't have conspiracies here! That's what GG would want.

benjipwns

« Reply #19532 on: July 11, 2018, 08:26:01 PM »
We keep lowering the goal post of what mansplaining is. Its crazy.

I fully support women like Price who are well on their way to smash the patriarchy.

Time to be on the right side of herstory.
NOW, LOCK THE THREAD, DELETE ANY POST THAT SNEAKS IN AFTER THIS, IT'S LIKE POETRY, IT RHYMES

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19533 on: July 11, 2018, 08:28:16 PM »
 :lucas
Uncle

« Reply #19534 on: July 11, 2018, 08:28:28 PM »

I fully support women like Price who are well on their way to smash the patriarchy.

Is this a troll?

Edit: Fuck off benji!

Switters

« Reply #19535 on: July 11, 2018, 08:28:48 PM »
Jessica looks like Starbuck. She can disrespect me all day and i'd lick her spittle from the flight deck.
troll

BisMarckie

« Reply #19536 on: July 11, 2018, 08:28:55 PM »
Were there any hills to die on yet?

I have a chance at a second bingo and I am a huge Daddy P fan!

stufte

« Reply #19537 on: July 11, 2018, 08:28:56 PM »

Is this a troll?

Only REEE mods know the answer to that.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19538 on: July 11, 2018, 08:31:26 PM »
Is this a troll?

I just realized you're here

major props to you for being a consistent voice of reason and somehow managing to dodge bans against all odds
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #19539 on: July 11, 2018, 08:31:52 PM »
Price should not have said what she said. The streamer was respectful but his criticism did seem a little presumptuous. Its annoying Price brought sexism into the situation. It shows that she's going to read every negative situation through a specific lense, even when her conclusion is false. Unfortunately this fits exactly into what Gamergators say "SJWs" will do, which is kind of sickening.
Your tone is really gross. It's "unfortunate" when people conform to what a hate group thinks of them? Get out with that.
judges... can we get a ruling?

EightBitNate

« Reply #19540 on: July 11, 2018, 08:32:29 PM »
How did she even know the person she went off on was a guy?

BisMarckie

« Reply #19541 on: July 11, 2018, 08:33:10 PM »

judges... can we get a ruling?

That's a thumbs down from the East German judge. Sorry.

benjipwns

« Reply #19542 on: July 11, 2018, 08:33:18 PM »
It’s also amazing how people have twisted that she said she doesn’t need have to play nice to her hating all of the players of her game. She doesn’t have to play nice, no one does, especially toward people who are rude and condescending
:teehee

benjipwns

« Reply #19543 on: July 11, 2018, 08:35:21 PM »
You know a post is bad when all the people with the most terrible, ignorant, and unsympathetic opinions throughout this thread are agreeing with it and complimenting it.

It’s funny how absolutely zero things have been learned or picked up by these posters after engaging with them. Absolutely zero movement or development of an informed opinion. Just the same victim blaming without understanding the context as what this thread began with. Maybe this thread and others are just a complete waste of time and everyone is simply talking in bad faith.

« Reply #19544 on: July 11, 2018, 08:37:07 PM »
Is this a troll?

I just realized you're here

major props to you for being a consistent voice of reason and somehow managing to dodge bans against all odds

Hey thanks.  I did delete a few of my posts in that thread since I thought it was pushing it and seeing that people got banned for similar stuff, it was probably the best option.

Not that I care THAT much about my account, but I've won a few nifty things from giftbot there, so it's nice to have that at least. 

benjipwns

« Reply #19545 on: July 11, 2018, 08:37:39 PM »
It's weird that it's completely accepted that the rando asshat in her mentions is being labeled as 'polite.'
You can still be 'polite' and a complete condescending rando asshat mansplainer, which he very clearly was. He wasn't 'interested in a dialogue' because his opening salvo was a 'well, actually' I-know-better-than-you pile of uninformed airmchair nonsense. That he said it 'politely' is immaterial to the immediate identification of it as a roll of crap.
Furthermore, he absolutely threw a demonstrative tantrum the second she rebuffs him. That he's 'polite' about it is irrelevant, he self-victimizes immediately instead of engaging with a single honest question about why she doesn't see things his way. Of course, when it's the woman, any quick shut down of a bullshitter has got to adhere to a completely arbitrary standard of civility lest it come off as a hysterical attack on an innocent party, but the dude with the enormous audience on youtube can toss up his arms with a "harrumph well I can see my opinion is not valued, gosh I just wanted to have a one-sided conversation about why I'm right and she's wrong---I, uh, I mean I just wanted to have a polite, civil discourse about my handful of pulled-from-my-ass facts about game development" and that instantly gets a fire burning under his followers, in places that largely intersect the pre-existing campaign to harass her.
But no, we gotta talk about her tantrum that amounted to 'shut up' and 'go away' or something. He was """polite""" and is therefore the guiltless victim here. She's the one bringing gender into it, because that's the worst thing ever.
emphasis theirs

is this thread sponsored by YUM! Brands because i am eatin :rejoice

Jansen

« Reply #19546 on: July 11, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »
Quote from: Squiddo ᔦꙬᔨ, post: 10292735, member: 9971
Fuck i hope this gets fixed i play Splatoon 2 alot and luckily only encountered 1 hacker so far in my 750 or so hours.

But still this ruins it for us legit players.
Once you take hacking online and ruin it for others time to brick the system.

Dude is so creepy

750hrs like wtf

benjipwns

« Reply #19547 on: July 11, 2018, 08:40:07 PM »
Social media and the internet makes people so fucking entitled, and gaming communities are a prime example.
yeah, nobody ever acted entitled before the internet

benjipwns

« Reply #19548 on: July 11, 2018, 08:40:52 PM »
A "personal" twitter where she publically states her name and job, and just had a public AMA.

Her account was not set to private.
It's common courtesy

There are...places...you can go to...to file a complaint...about a video game, called forums
like NeoGAF.com?

BisMarckie

« Reply #19549 on: July 11, 2018, 08:42:05 PM »
Yeah, use a forum

Dont bother random people in game development with tweets on how they should improve a game or something

Dennis :wag

BisMarckie

« Reply #19550 on: July 11, 2018, 08:44:51 PM »
Why don't you get on my level?

:rejoice

EightBitNate

« Reply #19551 on: July 11, 2018, 08:47:24 PM »
Damn the entire Bore is up at bat today

Bore Expert

« Reply #19552 on: July 11, 2018, 08:47:42 PM »
When you don’t include a link to these quotes, sweetnicole wins  :'(

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19553 on: July 11, 2018, 08:48:07 PM »
Damn the entire Bore is up at bat today

and 41 guests  :bolo
Uncle

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #19554 on: July 11, 2018, 08:48:26 PM »

Congratulations! You win the grand prize of pending a week's paid vacation inside a Thai cave with your choice of:

Easy, I take a) and wait for the farts to displace the oxygen :rollsafe

Oh no, honey. You’re getting the muscle queen in hooker heels and the possibly jailbait lad that puts bananas in vinyl socks before slipping his feet in.
serge

BisMarckie

« Reply #19555 on: July 11, 2018, 08:49:15 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/10295054/

Ever heard of gaslighting? Its a very common tactic with the alt-right. He was probably very aware of it.

Not on my bingo card. :goty2

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #19556 on: July 11, 2018, 08:49:24 PM »
Quote from: Squiddo ᔦꙬᔨ, post: 10292735, member: 9971
Fuck i hope this gets fixed i play Splatoon 2 alot and luckily only encountered 1 hacker so far in my 750 or so hours.

But still this ruins it for us legit players.
Once you take hacking online and ruin it for others time to brick the system.

Dude is so creepy

750hrs like wtf

did you know there is a second version of this gif
Uncle

stufte

« Reply #19557 on: July 11, 2018, 08:49:49 PM »
QueenPriscilla is pulling in all the suckers with that line of trolling.

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #19558 on: July 11, 2018, 08:49:56 PM »
Stated before by others, but how the fuck is that thread still unlocked.

They lock threads with slight amusement or tomfoolery at the drop of a hat and 7 posts in. Fuck, some of them feel like they're trying to get a 'first post' thread lock.

Yet, this cock-knocker of a thread with posters going rabid at each other is still running? God, that mod discord must be delicious.

:delicious

EightBitNate

« Reply #19559 on: July 11, 2018, 08:50:27 PM »
Also, Voat friends: tell whoever QueenPriscilla is to cool it. They’re overdoing it. No need to pretend the opposition is crazier than it already is.