Author Topic: Other Forums |OT| ♀ C O R E V A L U E S ♀ Sponsored By THQNordic  (Read 5829090 times)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
Re: Other Forums |OT| Book Reading, Free Speech, and Full-Blown Centrists Within
« Reply #52920 on: January 09, 2019, 01:51:48 PM »
The ratios aren't the point. It's down to how homosexuality is implemented, from what I remember the last time Rimworld came up in regards to gay representation. It becomes a negative feedback loop for the colonists who have the trait. People say that a gaydar would solve this, which suggests to me that the simulation is pretty shallow.

I think there's two different things at play here - one is the idea implied by the author that in the future homosexuals will not be a minority (or that people will not be 'straight' by default) 'because the future', which is conceptually difficult to believe because on a completely apolitical furthering-of-the-species examination of biological imperative, any species with sexual reproduction is inherently going to favour sexual reproduction that continues the species in its population.
Even with magical future tech, you're going to be actively fighting against biological imperatives to not have biological urges based on perpetuating the species amongst the population.
Its hardwired.
Its not insurmountable, but its still there, and its still going to be there. People still have arachnid responses.

The other thing at play is the kind of insidious notion that things in the game don't align with the authors pet theories of how things 'should be', and are then being extrapolated into the game creator making a political statement - a negative statement at that - that is not demonstrated (and has some pretty good counter evidence) and is the kind of thing that can effortlessly ruin a reputation or business, and is honestly kind of a shitty thing to jump to in a videogame review.
Especially as the easy option would be to just not even bother trying to model any aspect of human behaviour that has any possibility of offending anyone through omission.

That Kinsey mod seems a pretty elegant solution tbh, seperating procreation from recreation / romance.

Jansen

Re: Other Forums |OT| Book Reading, Free Speech, and Full-Blown Centrists Within
« Reply #52921 on: January 09, 2019, 01:55:20 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-division-2-is-ditching-steam-for-the-epic-games-store-on-pc-see-threadmarks.92331/#post-16699938

Quote from: VaporSnake, post: 16699938, member: 20162
Really dumb, epic is definitely using that Fortnite money to try and force their launcher on people.

Yeah I've never seen something like that happen before!

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #52922 on: January 09, 2019, 01:56:27 PM »

one of GOAT gif responses, don't @ me

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52923 on: January 09, 2019, 02:14:41 PM »
Yeah when I was in HS there wasn't an anime club, we did have a computer club where someone installed the cyberpunk point and click game "Rise of the Dragon" though, that was cool. I started getting into anime in HS but apart from the internet I didn't know anyone else into it, I definitely wasn't cool in HS (or now either).
I'm so glad that my school didn't have an anime club and no one I knew ever talked about anime.

Yeah, never heard any mention of it in school until my senior year and weeb girl and that new teacher who wanted to start a club showing up.  I got out at the right time.  :doge

I do remember something else about the weeb girl.  I posted about her before!

Quote from: bork
when I was a senior in high school in 1998-1999, someone told me that there was a girl name "Michi" who was all into anime.  He tells me that Michi is Japanese and she had the dude give me her website.  I go home and look at the site, and see that it is a poorly-made fansite for a Sailor Moon character named "Michiru Kaiou."  This character has green hair.   

The next day in school, my classmate tells me that Michi is sitting at a table across the room at lunch.  I look over and don't see any Asians sitting there, but there is a blue-eyed, blonde haired white girl with a bad green hair dye job sitting there looking stupid.  And that of course, was "Michi."  She was "Japanese."
:neogaf

She was telling everyone that she was a quarter Japanese or some bullshit...because she liked a fucking cartoon character.  I told my classmate how full of shit she was and that she appeared to have dyed her hair because of this character and he laughed pretty hard.  Never heard him talk about her again and I never talked to this girl since she was an underclassman and I didn't have any classes with her, but I'd occasionally run into her or be around and hear her gushing about anime.  Every time she would see me, her face would turn red and she'd stop talking about it, lol.  I worked at a video game store at the time and had encountered plenty of otaku-types, but this was the first time I'd ever seen a weeb in the wild, so the memory still stands out.
Quote from: bork
Some months later, I'm sitting outside school waiting for a ride home, and out comes "Michi" with a teacher.  "What are you doing this weekend?" the teacher asks.  "Well, I'm going to an ANIME PARTY!!"  The teacher has no idea.  "It's this get-together where everyone watches Japanese animation, or Japanimation!"  She sees me, and I can't help but start laughing again.  Then she shuts up and keeps on walking silently.  This was back in '98 or '99...I never thought it would get worse than that.  Unfortunately, I still had to deal with Dragonball Z and the horrors that were Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards at my job.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:19:07 PM by bork »
ど助平

Boredfrom

« Reply #52924 on: January 09, 2019, 02:22:32 PM »
And while your typical 'weeb' type is probably just socially-awkward and/or goofy,

This is actually the reason why I cannot mock people for just be anime fans. I can mock the cringe and the elitism but for some people close to me this kind of places and groups helped them emotionally to a degree.

Some months later, I'm sitting outside school waiting for a ride home, and out comes "Michi" with a teacher.  "What are you doing this weekend?" the teacher asks.  "Well, I'm going to an ANIME PARTY!!"  The teacher has no idea.  "It's this get-together where everyone watches Japanese animation, or Japanimation!" She sees me, and I can't help but start laughing again.  Then she shuts up and keeps on walking silently. This was back in '98 or '99...I never thought it would get worse than that.  Unfortunately, I still had to deal with Dragonball Z and the horrors that were Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards at my job.

:doge
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:26:59 PM by Boredfrom »

agrajag

« Reply #52925 on: January 09, 2019, 02:24:18 PM »
Yall had Anime Clubs in High School?

:neogaf :umad

the one in my high school had a front, they called it Japanese Cultural Society

:esports :expert

El Babua

« Reply #52926 on: January 09, 2019, 02:28:08 PM »
There was a Harry Potter club in middle school back in 2000 that I was a part of...briefly. :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52927 on: January 09, 2019, 02:29:58 PM »
And while your typical 'weeb' type is probably just socially-awkward and/or goofy,

This is actually the reason why I cannot mock people for just be anime fans. I can mock the cringe and the elitism but for some people close to me this kind of places and groups helped them emotionally to a degree.

Some months later, I'm sitting outside school waiting for a ride home, and out comes "Michi" with a teacher.  "What are you doing this weekend?" the teacher asks.  "Well, I'm going to an ANIME PARTY!!"  The teacher has no idea.  "It's this get-together where everyone watches Japanese animation, or Japanimation!" She sees me, and I can't help but start laughing again.  Then she shuts up and keeps on walking silently. This was back in '98 or '99...I never thought it would get worse than that.  Unfortunately, I still had to deal with Dragonball Z and the horrors that were Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh cards at my job.

Dude, I was like 17 or 18.
:idont
ど助平

Boredfrom

« Reply #52928 on: January 09, 2019, 02:31:33 PM »

Well yeah, but is not exactly a funny anecdote. Is kind of a sad one.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52929 on: January 09, 2019, 02:32:48 PM »
Am pretty sure she was embarrassed about getting called out for pretending to be Japanese.  :doge

Which is cringe.  Which you just said you can mock.  :doge :doge
ど助平

Boredfrom

« Reply #52930 on: January 09, 2019, 02:35:44 PM »
Am pretty sure she was embarrassed about getting called out for pretending to be Japanese.  :doge

Which is cringe.  Which you just said you can mock.  :doge :doge

I didnt exactly protest the other quote.  :doge (I agree is cringe as fuck)

In that quote sounds more like she feels mocked for going to a weeb party.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52931 on: January 09, 2019, 02:36:48 PM »
Also none of these people even hold a candle to 20 and 30-somethings from the 90s who were part of the local anime club in town.  I think it was called "Anime X."  We heard about them from customers at work- the club president came in once and was the biggest elitist nerd I've ever seen in person. 
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #52932 on: January 09, 2019, 02:37:31 PM »

I think there's two different things at play here - one is the idea implied by the author that in the future homosexuals will not be a minority (or that people will not be 'straight' by default) 'because the future', which is conceptually difficult to believe because on a completely apolitical furthering-of-the-species examination of biological imperative, any species with sexual reproduction is inherently going to favour sexual reproduction that continues the species in its population.
I don't read it that way at all. From the review:
There are some peculiar aspects to this approach to character generation, though. Each character gets three traits, things like obsessive, lazy or misogynist. One of the modifiers is "gay" but "straight" isn't—that's just the default, which is painfully heteronormative and outdated for a game about the far flung future.
I read this as "heteronormativity will be outdated", which is also a naive assumption to make, but not quite the same as "homosexuals will not be a tiny minority in the future". Admittedly unclear though.

The other thing at play is the kind of insidious notion that things in the game don't align with the authors pet theories of how things 'should be', and are then being extrapolated into the game creator making a political statement - a negative statement at that - that is not demonstrated (and has some pretty good counter evidence) and is the kind of thing that can effortlessly ruin a reputation or business, and is honestly kind of a shitty thing to jump to in a videogame review.

I think it was a fair observation. The biggest flaw I find with the review in regard to this is that it doesn't elaborate at all on why the systems playing out the way they do is heteronormative (regardless of whether the dev intended it).
As far as 'reviewer responsibility' goes - eh. I don't give a shit about business implications and prefer to hear from people who don't, either. Not wanting to step on anyone's toes is one big reason why most reviews are useless to me.

Boredfrom

« Reply #52933 on: January 09, 2019, 02:37:45 PM »
Also none of these people even hold a candle to 20 and 30-somethings from the 90s who were part of the local anime club in town.  I think it was called "Anime X."  We heard about them from customers at work- the club president came in once and was the biggest elitist nerd I've ever seen in person.

Now that is cringe.

Tiops

« Reply #52934 on: January 09, 2019, 02:39:44 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/amazon-ceo-jeff-bezos-and-wife-mackenzie-set-to-divorce.92315/#post-16697667

How does Platys brain even work?

She's my favorite poster there, really. You can be sure that you'll read an amazing take on every subject when you see her name on the post.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52935 on: January 09, 2019, 02:40:05 PM »

Now that is cringe.

He was dismissing VHS tapes and DVDs like they were bad wine.  :lol

Literally this guy in a Hawaiian shirt:
:snob
ど助平

Boredfrom

« Reply #52936 on: January 09, 2019, 02:40:18 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/thr-john-lasseter-gets-a-new-job-leads-animation-at-skydance.92360/

I can't get a good job to save my life but all these shit people getting amazing ones...

:lol

Hate the guy but he is not exactly a nobody.

-------------

So he should never be employed ever again? Or what would be the acceptable timeframe for him to re-apply?

Sure he should. Cleaning toilets or something.

They could give this job to someone more talented who also isn't a sex pest.

That sounds pretty classist for such a progressive forum.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:44:37 PM by Boredfrom »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #52937 on: January 09, 2019, 02:45:41 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/thr-john-lasseter-gets-a-new-job-leads-animation-at-skydance.92360/

I can't get a good job to save my life but all these shit people getting amazing ones...

Head of animation ? Totes into my skillset.
ὕβρις

Boredfrom

« Reply #52938 on: January 09, 2019, 02:47:25 PM »
I mean, he’s a horrible human and his crimes are well documented, but if you’re further down the totem pole of animation studios and you see a guy who is a massive pioneer, you probably just let him in and just keep an eye on him.

Feel this guys are talking about a war criminal than a perv cartoonist with a hawain t shirt.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #52939 on: January 09, 2019, 02:57:08 PM »

Admitting to being 17 at one point in your life

:neogaf :foodcourt :nope :kobeyuck :ufup

What a loser

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #52940 on: January 09, 2019, 02:58:59 PM »
I think it was a fair observation. The biggest flaw I find with the review in regard to this is that it doesn't elaborate at all on why the systems playing out the way they do is heteronormative (regardless of whether the dev intended it).
As far as 'reviewer responsibility' goes - eh. I don't give a shit about business implications and prefer to hear from people who don't, either. Not wanting to step on anyone's toes is one big reason why most reviews are useless to me.

I dunno, I don't give a shit about a review saying "here's why (I, the reviewer, think that) this games bad", because that's basically the point of the review.
But I draw a line at "This thing in this game is implemented in a way that I am now going to infer negative aspects as to the character of the person who made it", which is territory where that review veers into, especially with regards to the "painfully reductive" backstory of a trans character not even written by the creator of the game but by a backer who shared an aspect of their own actual life story.

Like... "I'm going to imply transphobic leanings to a creator based on tales from my ass" is the kind of thing that can escalate quickly, and is completely unfounded.

edit:
I'm not exactly saying "be happy with what you get, people", but if a game creator goes out of their way to portray things that games usually don't even bother addressing in a tasteful manner that gels naturally with the game as a whole instead of being tacked on for woke points, the end result of quibbling how those things were added because they're not woke enough isn't going to be 'better' (by whatever arbitrary standard a reviewer is using).
Its going to be just not bothering at all.

Boredfrom

« Reply #52941 on: January 09, 2019, 02:59:59 PM »
Former creative head of Pixar. Became the creative head of Disney Animation after Disney bought Pixar.

"He's a hugger." He hugs everyone. Totally harmless, right? Nope. He groped women. All the fucking time. All the women working for Pixar/Disney learned how to perform a move they called "The Lasseter" to physically prevent him from sticking his hands up their skirts. Everyone at Pixar/Disney knew about it, and they covered it up because he had too much power and was too important.

And people wonder why women complain about equality in the workforce.

Sucks for all the women working for Skydance (if there are any). They're either going to have to work under a serial sexual harasser, or quit.

Being honest, this also makes pretty difficult to him to escape another shitstorm if he gives hugs to everyone again.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Boredfrom

« Reply #52943 on: January 09, 2019, 03:03:18 PM »
It’s kinda amazing how many dudes (in Hollywood and here) are scared shitless of MeToo considering no one has suffered any actual consequences from it.

Holy fuck Bronx Man, that is Trump's levels of disingenuity.

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #52944 on: January 09, 2019, 03:05:08 PM »
Oh, after The Craft was big, there were like 4 or 5 girls that became witches for like 6 months, though.

Manon, take my scars.
Oi Oi

jorma

« Reply #52945 on: January 09, 2019, 03:05:33 PM »

-------------

So he should never be employed ever again? Or what would be the acceptable timeframe for him to re-apply?

Sure he should. Cleaning toilets or something.

the dude created animated movies that made billions and deserve nothing but a job cleaning toilets because he was a serial groper and bezos wife deserves half of amazon for fucking jeff bezos for 25 years.

I don't see the problem here.  :yeshrug

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #52946 on: January 09, 2019, 03:05:57 PM »
when the only level of "actual consequences" you'll accept is jail time, confiscation of all earned monies, and being blackballed from any job position ever again then of course no one has suffered "actual consequences"

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #52947 on: January 09, 2019, 03:07:52 PM »
But I draw a line at "This thing in this game is implemented in a way that I am now going to infer negative aspects as to the character of the person who made it", which is territory where that review veers into, especially with regards to the "painfully reductive" backstory of a trans character not even written by the creator of the game but by a backer who shared an aspect of their own actual life story.

Like... "I'm going to imply transphobic leanings to a creator based on tales from my ass" is the kind of thing that can escalate quickly, and is completely unfounded.
Speculating on the author's character is poor form, yeah. In most cases, anyway. There's now an editor's note pointing out that those stories came from Kickstarter backers. For what that's worth.

I only wanted to adress the heteronormativity critique, which turned out to be a defensible, if poorly made point.

Boredfrom

« Reply #52948 on: January 09, 2019, 03:08:12 PM »
when the only level of "actual consequences" you'll accept is jail time, confiscation of all earned monies, and being blackballed from any job position ever again then of course no one has suffered "actual consequences"

Even Weinstein and Spacey are facing criminal charges.

jorma

« Reply #52949 on: January 09, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »

Quote from: BladeoftheImmortal, post: 16705360, member: 15953
If I don't like it I can just go work for another asshole that didn't deserve it...yay!

These posts are like 2 minutes apart  :P

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #52950 on: January 09, 2019, 03:10:43 PM »
fuck I get so triggered when I see people write "sike"

can't believe people are that fucking stupid

Boredfrom

« Reply #52951 on: January 09, 2019, 03:12:14 PM »

Speculating on the author's character is poor form, yeah. In most cases, anyway. There's now an editor's note pointing out that those stories came from Kickstarter backers. For what that's worth.

I only wanted to adress the heteronormativity critique, which turned out to be a defensible, if poorly made point.

You could argue that is videogame criticism in a nutshell.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #52952 on: January 09, 2019, 03:13:50 PM »
Even Weinstein and Spacey are facing criminal charges.
yet i notice they probably won't get the death penalty so does it actually mean anything? :thinking

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Flash! Bang!

Did You Know?

Often times, one will see a lightning strike entire seconds before they actually hear the sound of thunder.

This occurs because the speed of light travels considerably faster than that of sound.

Before the lightning even strikes, however, ResetERA user Kirblar has already processed its auditory/visual data, and more.

This is accomplished in part by two skills:

One, by reading the electromagnetic currents throughout the atmosphere, a skill acquired after years of reading Twitter and politigaf.

The other, by taking the aforementioned knowledge and processing it through a logic-association system based entirely on the Iraq War.
quoting this because I thought of this post again and started laughing. it's that good
每天生气

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #52955 on: January 09, 2019, 03:22:31 PM »

Sure he should. Cleaning toilets or something

Do they believe there are tons of people walking around who have a better resume than this guy? The studio would happily hire someone with less baggage if they knew that person could deliver. The guy sounds like a creep, but from a business point of view it makes sense because there aren't loads of more qualified options walking around.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #52956 on: January 09, 2019, 03:23:50 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/researchers-determine-that-anime-fans-are-at-the-bottom-of-the-high-school-social-hierarchy.92257/page-9
Quote from: John Doe, post: 16698361, member: 38977
Quote from: AlteredBeast, post: 16696720, member: 17897
There's a reason that people who spend their time watching and debating cartoons find themselves amongst the lowest social strata.

This is the same for anyone who partakes in media created for children, even video games, to some extent.

Most people grow out of childish stuff, while others continue watching shit like anime, Power Rangers, and so on. You do you, but it obviously puts you at odds with people who leave that behind in adolescence and into adulthood.

I loathe anime to death outside of very good, atypical stuff (Grave of the Fireflies and other serious works), but find it hilarious when grown-ass people actively debate what superpowers they would rather have from whatever flavor of the month anime they are watching.

You've got over 1700 posts on a video game enthusiast forum. Why are you this judgmental?

Quote from: AlteredBeast, post: 16698925, member: 17897
Because I am a well-adjusted person who rarely discusses video games at all? I would be shocked if I made more than 250 videogame-side posts between GAF and ERA in the past 13 years. I grew out of video games for the most part. Discussing them is no longer a part of who I am, outside of very few things that tie back to my adolescence (Shenmue and 3rd Strike), other than that, games have lost me. I am on ERA because I like the people I have come to known over the past 19 years and would be sad to not hear their insight on politics, music, sports, and general news.

:umad

Because I am a well-adjusted person who rarely discusses video games at all
AlteredBeast is still an active mormon despite having had mountains of evidence tossed at him proving its a lie. It's one thing to enjoy watching kid's fairy tales, but another to make a fairy tale your religion. Just sayin' :trumps
que

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #52957 on: January 09, 2019, 03:49:03 PM »
At least he brought us: "Wise fwom your gwave!"

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #52958 on: January 09, 2019, 03:52:25 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/thr-john-lasseter-gets-a-new-job-leads-animation-at-skydance.92360/post-16708009

Yes because Black men and women have never come back from controversy and been given a second chance. Never ever.

Shuri

« Reply #52959 on: January 09, 2019, 04:20:46 PM »
My introduction to anime was people in highschool talking about it in hushed tones. This was like in 1995 and people were talking about this « super violent and sexual »  ‘japanese cartoon’ with ninjas. It was Ninja Scroll and bootleg tapes were flowing as if it was something secret and illegal to own.  :lol

Then came along ghost in the shell, legend of the overfiend and many more. All this cyberpunk, explosions, big guns and death was so crazy to us. This was during the rise of electronic music.

Animes were more interesting in the nineties because it felt so raw and new.  I was also 15. It didnt feel like it had stigmas back then, it only started when anime got fruity as fuck in the second half of the nineties.

Now it feels like anime is all pedo bait garbage made in flash.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #52960 on: January 09, 2019, 04:24:42 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/thr-john-lasseter-gets-a-new-job-leads-animation-at-skydance.92360/post-16708009

Yes because Black men and women have never come back from controversy and been given a second chance. Never ever.

well Era are pulling double duty to try and stop kevin hart recovering from someone digging up some old tweets

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #52961 on: January 09, 2019, 04:25:34 PM »
My introduction to anime was people in highschool talking about it in hushed tones. This was like in 1995 and people were talking about this « super violent and sexual »  ‘japanese cartoon’ with ninjas. It was Ninja Scroll and bootleg tapes were flowing as if it was something secret and illegal to own.  :lol

Then came along ghost in the shell, legend of the overfiend and many more. All this cyberpunk, explosions, big guns and death was so crazy to us. This was during the rise of electronic music.

Animes were more interesting in the nineties because it felt so raw and new.  I was also 15. It didnt feel like it had stigmas back then, it only started when anime got fruity as fuck in the second half of the nineties.

literally "kids these days" the post.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
not that I disagree, mind you.
[close]

shosta

« Reply #52962 on: January 09, 2019, 04:31:13 PM »
I didn't grow up on 90s anime but the difference is so obvious. People don't hate anime, they hate the thinly veiled outlets for sexually frustrated herbivore men. When I was in highschool (yesterday) anime already had its stigma but all the black kids loved Dragonball Z.
每天生气

Boredfrom

« Reply #52963 on: January 09, 2019, 04:33:26 PM »
I didn't grow up on 90s anime but the difference is so obvious. People don't hate anime, they hate the thinky veiled outlets for sexually frustrated herbivore men.

Is more like there is less stuff like the 90s were famous for, because the creepy stuff has always been there.  :fbm

:phil
[close]

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #52964 on: January 09, 2019, 04:34:20 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/we-might-have-mandatory-vacation-at-work-if-the-shutdown-continues-to-feb.92379/post-16710022

Why should people vote unquestionably for Democrats? It's the Democrats' jobs to convince people to vote for them. If they can't accomplish that maybe they actually need to put forth policies and initiatives that will gain support.
This is fucking idiotic. If the Dem platform of "not setting the world on fire" isnt good enough for you, what is? Are you seriously gonna vote R instead and watch the world burn cuz D isnt hipster enough for you? Fuck you, cretin asshole, you are no better than Trump supporter.

Civil Discourse Triumphs™

Boredfrom

« Reply #52965 on: January 09, 2019, 04:39:37 PM »
When I was in highschool (yesterday) anime already had its stigma but all the black kids loved Dragonball Z.

stufte

« Reply #52966 on: January 09, 2019, 04:40:02 PM »
I didn't grow up on 90s anime but the difference is so obvious. People don't hate anime, they hate the thinky veiled outlets for sexually frustrated herbivore men.

Is more like there is less stuff like the 90s were famous for, because the creepy stuff has always been there.  :fbm

:phil
[close]

La Blue Girl changed who I was at a fundamental level as a teen.  :doge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #52967 on: January 09, 2019, 04:44:19 PM »

Animes were more interesting in the nineties because it felt so raw and new. 
Also animation quality was at its peak.
Late 90s and first half of the 2000s anime had some of the best animated films of all time, but then it all went downhill (Ghibli notwithstanding).

Look at something like Jin Roh or the Patlabor movies or Memories or Ghost in the Shell or Blood the Last Vampire, the animation quality is just on another level.
Not that people can't animate like that anymore (the Blade Runner 2049 short, Letter to Momo etc) but it doesn't seem like it carries the same weight, besides, it's all shitty love stories like Shinkai now.

TL;DR: Decent anime died with Satoshi Kon.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #52968 on: January 09, 2019, 04:47:41 PM »

Then came along ghost in the shell, legend of the overfiend and many more. All this cyberpunk, explosions, big guns and death was so crazy to us.

Animes were more interesting in the nineties because it felt so raw and new.  I was also 15. It didn't feel like it had stigmas back then, it only started when anime got fruity as fuck in the second half of the nineties.

Back then there wasn't really a huge stigma, or at least not as bad. Then again, there really wasn't a ton of anime, and it was expensive as fuck. Games used to be way more embarrassing, gaming didn't really become (somewhat) socially acceptable in general until PS1 IMO. Since there wasn't a ton of it, and it wasn't popular at all, there was little chance of anime becoming central to what what one would identify with...at least for myself I was way more into music and games. I don't remember meeting full on fans until way late 90's.

I mean, there was anime stuff that in retrospect was totally weeb like Tenchi, etc...but there was so much variance. Like Appleseed, GoldenBoy, and Eva, all kinds of wild shit and it was way different than anything else you'd seen before, I think Akira was the one that got me. Early anime in the states felt like punk rock.

stufte

« Reply #52969 on: January 09, 2019, 04:47:45 PM »

Late 90s and first half of the 2000s anime had some of the best animated films of all time, but then it all went downhill (Ghibli notwithstanding).

Look at something like Jin Roh or the Patlabor movies or Memories or Ghost in the Shell or Blood the Last Vampire, the animation quality is just on another level.
Not that people can't animate like that anymore (the Blade Runner 2049 short, Letter to Momo etc) but it doesn't seem like it carries the same weight, besides, it's all shitty love stories like Shinkai now.

Paprika is  :delicious

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #52970 on: January 09, 2019, 04:48:16 PM »
Bubble economy anime. :lawd

stufte

« Reply #52971 on: January 09, 2019, 04:49:54 PM »
This is now the 90's anime snob thread/club and I'm OK with that.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52972 on: January 09, 2019, 04:50:06 PM »

Anime went through about a decade [2005 to 2014, roughly] that was really bad. Some decent movies still, but a huge chunk of what was on TV was really mediocre. The past 4 or 5 years have been a lot better, though.
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #52973 on: January 09, 2019, 04:51:50 PM »
You could argue that is videogame criticism in a nutshell.
No need to argue, incontrovertible fact. If the English majors among them could at least transfer whatever analytical skills they've acquired and apply them to more than the story...

stufte

« Reply #52974 on: January 09, 2019, 04:53:31 PM »
FLCL is also great (though not 90's)

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #52975 on: January 09, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »
Inuyasha was the only anime that ticked off all the boxes

• High quality animation
  • Entertaining story
  • Well-written characters
  • Snappy dialogue
  • Relateable love interest
  • Top quality filler
  • GOAT theme music

Anime, born October 16, 2000, died September 13, 2004
:O

shosta

« Reply #52976 on: January 09, 2019, 04:56:56 PM »
Anime went through about a decade [2005 to 2014, roughly] that was really bad.
2005? I think I know what happened.

每天生气

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52977 on: January 09, 2019, 04:57:22 PM »
You're not wrong.
dog

Boredfrom

« Reply #52978 on: January 09, 2019, 04:57:34 PM »
Anime went through about a decade [2005 to 2014, roughly] that was really bad.
2005? I think I know what happened.

(Image removed from quote.)

Not even close to be the worst to be honest.

shosta

« Reply #52979 on: January 09, 2019, 04:58:12 PM »
Personally though I think Haruhi is GOAT for that genre :idont
每天生气