Author Topic: Devil May Cry 5  (Read 5931 times)

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
Re: Devil May Cry 5
« Reply #240 on: March 14, 2019, 06:52:31 PM »
I think DMC1 still plays great, honestly. Still the best level design in the series. It's very different compared to what 5 is.

But yes, 5 blows it out of the water action wise. To be completely frank, it blows any and every CA game before it in that aspect. DMC5 Dante :rejoice

EDIT: Also TIMU you should just hit me up on discord next time. I'm barely if ever on here.
\m/

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #241 on: March 14, 2019, 08:10:43 PM »
https://gematsu.com/2019/03/devil-may-cry-5-adds-bloody-palace-mode-on-april-1

Devil May Cry 5 will add ďBloody Palace ModeĒ as a free update on April 1, Capcom announced.

Here is an overview of the mode, via Capcom:

Bloody Palace is a survival mode that pits you against hordes of increasingly difficult enemies and bosses whilst racing against the ticking timer. Play as Dante, Nero or V in Bloody Palace Mode through multiple levels of enemies and truly test your SSStylish skills.
ど助平

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #242 on: March 14, 2019, 10:23:08 PM »
\m/

Spieler1

« Reply #243 on: March 15, 2019, 11:15:46 AM »
you only need to play DMC1 for being the Resident Evil spinoff that it is.

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #244 on: March 15, 2019, 04:06:21 PM »
It still works as an action/adventure game IMO.
\m/

thisismyusername

• https://goo.gl/SEuEBL Stay pressed, DNC.
« Reply #245 on: March 15, 2019, 04:11:26 PM »
Gimmie that Discord, bb.

remy

« Reply #246 on: March 15, 2019, 09:13:08 PM »
It still works as an action/adventure game IMO.
100% It's a fun game for what it is, and the combat system, while limited compared to dmc of today is fun for what it is. like the enemy design and how they all have a gimmick or weakness to beat them

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #247 on: March 15, 2019, 09:24:39 PM »
The weaknesses legit carry over to DMC5 too, which is awesome.

You can one shot Death Scissors exactly the same way. And there's another one but it's a spoiler:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
When you fight Shadow in mission 18 you can stand on skewer and hit em with a shotgun to turn it into an orb immediately.
\m/

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #248 on: March 15, 2019, 09:34:51 PM »
I was thinking the other day and man, when Bayo 3 comes out it needs to bring it. I don't care for pitting games against each other nor am I even speaking strictly about production values as that's very unfair in general. But the combat here is so easy to have fun with while having immense depth that I don't think I can stomach yet another Plat template game in the sub genre with the same over-reliance on dodging.

MGR and Bayo 1 are of course great and still have merit regardless, but what Bayo 2 tried to do or that transformers game, that korra one, hell even the combat of Nier Automata (let's be real, it was definitely much better than past games in the series but it wasn't the reason to keep playing, that was all Taro's ideas more so than Platinum's execution) is just not something I'd look forward after how amazing Dante and Nero are here. V is the most simple, but he gets points for being unique while still being DMC and very fun at it IMO. For as many people who gripe about DMC not having a dedicated dodge button (when it arguably has several), the over-reliance on dodging and games being designed entirely around it has run it's course in this sub genre for me.

Hell, this game even demolishes how Urban Climax worked with a similar mechanic in Sin DT. Which is probably my favorite mechanic in that it doesn't heal you so tanking hits is not an option, has strategic use in how you get your hits in and leave judgement to the last second for max famage and value, and Quadruple S alone validates it entirely by being a reward for skillful play. It's just so well thought out as opposed to Umbran Climax being an instant win button.
\m/

toku

• 𝔖𝔱𝔞𝔶 𝔈𝔪𝔭𝔱𝔶 𝟚𝟘𝕏𝕏
« Reply #249 on: March 15, 2019, 11:44:19 PM »
you only need to play DMC1 for being the Resident Evil spinoff that it is.

You mean the 3D castlevania we need.

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #250 on: March 16, 2019, 12:45:00 AM »
Das mah Toku  :ohyeah
\m/

thisismyusername

« Reply #251 on: March 16, 2019, 12:58:37 AM »
DMC1's missions are mercifully short, but the camera. Good lord. :doge

I still say DMC3 is when the series finally found it's "voice" and (IMO) finally got on the level of Ninja Gaiden.

:bow Itsuno :bow2

kingv

« Reply #252 on: March 16, 2019, 01:24:38 AM »
I feel like the timing in DMC V makes it and Bayonetta feel more similar than they ever did before.

When I first played DMC 3, it kind of threw me for a loop because the game played deceptively different to Bayonetta, particularly with the way dodging works.

But DMC V seems more like the actual side dodge works better than just the straight jump like in DMC 3.

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #253 on: March 16, 2019, 01:28:15 AM »
If you mean Table Hopper then that was in 4.

Otherwise they did rework the lock on dodge. Overall it thankfully isn't as spammy as Platinum games.
\m/

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #254 on: March 16, 2019, 01:29:32 AM »
DMC1's missions are mercifully short, but the camera. Good lord. :doge

I still say DMC3 is when the series finally found it's "voice" and (IMO) finally got on the level of Ninja Gaiden.

:bow Itsuno :bow2

That's slightly unfair to DMC1 as it legit invented this shit lol

But I do agree, DMC found it's real footing with 3. And finally was able to solidify it with 5. Itsuno the gawd.
\m/

MMaRsu

« Reply #255 on: March 16, 2019, 07:48:09 AM »

kingv

« Reply #256 on: March 16, 2019, 12:04:11 PM »
I finally got into the Dante missions. Heís so much fun to play.

So smooth.

I really like Nero too, but sort of dread playing V. Heís not bad, just worse than the others.

kingv

« Reply #257 on: March 16, 2019, 12:47:10 PM »

Best style if you donít want to be a little bitch.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #258 on: March 16, 2019, 03:55:59 PM »
ど助平

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #259 on: March 17, 2019, 04:20:13 AM »

Best style if you donít want to be a little bitch.

Nice to see this meme is still alive 14 years later.

DMC5 RG is indeed excellent. I never used it before because for real for real it used to feel like like shit gameplay wise and the punishment for getting it wrong was much higher. The window for perfect parries is more generous but what helps the most is the better animations and it actually feels fun to pull off for once.
\m/

Rman

« Reply #260 on: March 17, 2019, 01:08:34 PM »
So this game is good, but I'm not getting best charaction action of all time talk here.  It's very safe. It's a better version of DMC4. The combat mechanics are fun, but the enemies are brain dead combo fodder.

But DMC is mostly a combo styling game.  The level design is non-existent, the environments repetitive, and there is a serious lack of bosses, which is where the game shines. 

The Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden (Xbox 1 and 360 only) games are much better packages.  I do like the game, but the series doesn't really do anything new here.

Obviously, if you love that combo heavy mechanics, which many absolutely love, I get the appeal.  It's a deep well of experimentation here.  I just hoped they improved the campaign, which has been a weakness with this series.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 01:17:50 PM by Rman »

213372bu

• My Phriend
« Reply #261 on: March 17, 2019, 01:48:54 PM »

Weíre halfway to getting the mod that we need but donít deserve :rejoice

:doge

Spieler1

« Reply #262 on: March 17, 2019, 02:12:19 PM »
So this game is good, but I'm not getting best charaction action of all time talk here.  It's very safe. It's a better version of DMC4. The combat mechanics are fun, but the enemies are brain dead combo fodder.

But DMC is mostly a combo styling game.  The level design is non-existent, the environments repetitive, and there is a serious lack of bosses, which is where the game shines. 

The Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden (Xbox 1 and 360 only) games are much better packages.  I do like the game, but the series doesn't really do anything new here.

Obviously, if you love that combo heavy mechanics, which many absolutely love, I get the appeal.  It's a deep well of experimentation here.  I just hoped they improved the campaign, which has been a weakness with this series.

:idont
It's a very good game, but more like a good new entry like Megaman 11. Only problem is that Resident Evil and Monster Hunter took more mindblowing steps forward in comparison, which probably isn't something I should've expected from every game.

kingv

« Reply #263 on: March 17, 2019, 02:23:31 PM »
What are those movesets for lady from?

It almost makes me think they intend to put her into the game at some point.

I think DMC V is the current top of the heap in terms of character action games. Nero and Dante are both a blast to play and have more complexity than they have ever had before while still being fairly accessible.

Also theyíve tuned the timing on some moves to make them still challenging but less punishing.

I play Big Dick Energy style usually, and notice that the enemies are actually not very aggressive on the base difficulty, but I expect this is because Iím playing on the base (the one for veteran players) difficulty. Like Iím waiting to block some shit with royal guard and notice that there if you donít move mostly the enemies just circle you.

However, I strongly suspect that is because of the difficulty setting based on previous games.

Rman

« Reply #264 on: March 17, 2019, 03:54:09 PM »
Can we talk about how clunky DMC1 is after playing DMC5? Because it is. :doge

I'm replaying it on the HD Collection and man, it's a night and day difference in terms of combat and camera for the series with 3.
Game is close to 20 years old bro.

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #265 on: March 17, 2019, 06:14:36 PM »

DH isn't the best difficulty to judge the game which is why I hoped SoS was available from the start. I recommend you start that before going off the braindead combo fodder enemeis (the lower level enemies are always the combo fodder).

The game absolutely pushes the genre forward in combat, the main point of which the genre is looked upon. Delve a bit deeper into it and you'll see how it demolishes the competition in that aspect.

As far as it being safe, I don't particularly agree with reinventions always being necessary, let alone always as improvements. This is a no fluff DMC game with the best combat ever implemented and it's all it should have been.

Ninja Gaiden is ultimately going for an extremely different approach in the same extreme. It's a lot more about efficiency than styling on opponents, so i can understand preferring that. Bayo on the other hand? As much as i love it it's filled to the brim with instant death QTE's out of nowhere which bog it down immensely. Bayo 2 is the most mindless of the bunch as it relies too much on spamming for me to ever consider it of the top echelon.

DMC1 and 3 have among the best campaigns in the sub genre. I do wish they would have expanded on the puzzle and platforming elements instead of doing away with them entirely, but I can see that after all the complaints they chose to get rid of the fluff. It's best to think of it like an old Shinobi or classicvania game, you go through rooms full of hordes of enemies till you get to the boss. I wouldn't call the level design here bad so much as straight forward.
\m/

Rman

« Reply #266 on: March 17, 2019, 06:52:59 PM »

DH isn't the best difficulty to judge the game which is why I hoped SoS was available from the start. I recommend you start that before going off the braindead combo fodder enemeis (the lower level enemies are always the combo fodder).

The game absolutely pushes the genre forward in combat, the main point of which the genre is looked upon. Delve a bit deeper into it and you'll see how it demolishes the competition in that aspect.

As far as it being safe, I don't particularly agree with reinventions always being necessary, let alone always as improvements. This is a no fluff DMC game with the best combat ever implemented and it's all it should have been.

Ninja Gaiden is ultimately going for an extremely different approach in the same extreme. It's a lot more about efficiency than styling on opponents, so i can understand preferring that. Bayo on the other hand? As much as i love it it's filled to the brim with instant death QTE's out of nowhere which bog it down immensely. Bayo 2 is the most mindless of the bunch as it relies too much on spamming for me to ever consider it of the top echelon.

DMC1 and 3 have among the best campaigns in the sub genre. I do wish they would have expanded on the puzzle and platforming elements instead of doing away with them entirely, but I can see that after all the complaints they chose to get rid of the fluff. It's best to think of it like an old Shinobi or classicvania game, you go through rooms full of hordes of enemies till you get to the boss. I wouldn't call the level design here bad so much as straight forward.

I haven't played DMC1, but I agree with DMC3. It's top 3 for me.  Bayo just feels more fun with the wicked weaves and witch time stuff.  I do love Dante when he uses fist weapons. 

I will explore DMC5 more and it may beat DMC3.  NGB's level design is just too strong and Bayo has more fun combat, while I do agree that DMC tops the genre in combat mechanics depth. But I need a more cohesive package.  DMC feels too much like enemy encounter, after light traversal, with enemy encounter, then boss.  I need more here. 

So far it's NGB>Bayo 1>DMC3SE

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #267 on: March 17, 2019, 09:27:45 PM »
Bayo 1 and 2 are still my favorites, followed by DMC1.  Am sure DMC5 will easily replace 1, but I may not go back to it just yet- thinking I should finally play through DMC3 first now.
ど助平

Rman

« Reply #268 on: March 17, 2019, 10:04:50 PM »
Bayo 1 and 2 are still my favorites, followed by DMC1.  Am sure DMC5 will easily replace 1, but I may not go back to it just yet- thinking I should finally play through DMC3 first now.
My big issue with DMC3/4/5 is that the combat is so deep in these games that they might as well just be about the Bloody Palace primarily.  The campaign in these games always feel like a tutorial for that. 

Itsuno did better this time around. He avoids running the same level again and you avoid fighting the bosses 3x like DMC4. Still, I need better levels.

El Babua

« Reply #269 on: March 18, 2019, 12:22:33 AM »
Falling down a hole for 4 missions straight is probably this game's nadir when it comes to level design.

But otherwise, I don't mind it - a few more missions like 12 would have been nice though.

Spieler1

« Reply #270 on: March 18, 2019, 03:51:16 AM »
What's 12 - the one with the fountains?

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #271 on: March 18, 2019, 06:35:39 AM »
12 was the the one with the fountains, yes. Would have loved if the interconnecting hallways between them were more gothic rooms with alternate routes but it's cool all the same.

Honestly the best level is mission 15, as it's like a classic 2D sonic level in having different routes with different encounters and shit in it all leading to a divinity statue plus a skate park. The only one that's pseudo egregious is mission 16 where you keep falling much like mission 13, they try to make it more interesting with different routes and platforms but it wasn't enough. Still not bad though.
\m/

Rman

« Reply #272 on: March 18, 2019, 07:07:21 AM »
Wraith, you're right about SoS. The game opens more. Better encounters and unnerfed Nero.

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #273 on: March 18, 2019, 07:12:34 AM »
Yeah, man. Part of me wishes it was the default difficulty as it really elevates the game, but I get them making the base normal easier for newcomers and such.

I do wish there was a harder difficulty level in between SoS and DMD like in DMC3. Doing a DMD run and goddamn at the hit sponges.
\m/

Dantizzinel

• Howdy fellow demons
« Reply #274 on: March 18, 2019, 03:49:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/donguri990/status/1107391617562890240
https://twitter.com/Lot_No468na/status/1107187509530755073
https://twitter.com/TurtleSensei1/status/1107613011164971009

This is not yet scratching the surface of what the game offers :lawd

Aight y'all, it's been fun. Only really came back to talk about this. Hit me up for my discord if you want to keep in contact.
\m/

thisismyusername

« Reply #275 on: March 21, 2019, 06:20:55 PM »
DMC3 is still good even like 15-18 years later. :lawd

:bow Itsuno. :bow2

Spieler1

« Reply #276 on: March 22, 2019, 11:03:15 AM »
I forgot I wanted to replay 3 before 5. :goty

Rahxephon91

« Reply #277 on: March 24, 2019, 02:34:42 AM »
Well it kind of sucks that they took away you regular sword for Dante and make you use this Devil Sword that I don't like.

Also playing as V is not fun.

I don't know, game is ok. Not liking it as much as I wanted to.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #278 on: March 24, 2019, 09:52:05 AM »
Well it kind of sucks that they took away you regular sword for Dante and make you use this Devil Sword that I don't like.
Not really a spoiler but i'll do it anyway...
You can go switch back to Rebellion later on in the customization screen.

Devil Sword Dante is fucking awesome tho and has more moves.

Rman

« Reply #279 on: March 24, 2019, 10:32:59 AM »

Also playing as V is not fun.

I don't know, game is ok. Not liking it as much as I wanted to.
But it's the same thing lol. It just looks different and has more moves.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #280 on: March 24, 2019, 07:38:42 PM »
It is'nt the same thing. Swordmaster's O attacks are diffrent with the Dante sword. You can do them more with R1+Forward I think, but it's easier with the regular sword, which is what I had gotten use to.

Anyway, I finished it today. Pretty good game. I'd say better than 4 and maybe 3. I really feel they went all out. Even the story was rather fun. The game was oozing personality and Nero and Dante were really fun to play. V less so....

I'd say 9/10.

remy

« Reply #281 on: March 24, 2019, 09:03:51 PM »
Only thing I miss with DSD is having prop on Circle/B for EZ parry

thisismyusername

kingv

« Reply #283 on: March 30, 2019, 12:08:51 PM »
It is'nt the same thing. Swordmaster's O attacks are diffrent with the Dante sword. You can do them more with R1+Forward I think, but it's easier with the regular sword, which is what I had gotten use to.

Anyway, I finished it today. Pretty good game. I'd say better than 4 and maybe 3. I really feel they went all out. Even the story was rather fun. The game was oozing personality and Nero and Dante were really fun to play. V less so....

I'd say 9/10.

When you do new game+ Iím pretty sure you can pick the sword Dante has.