Author Topic: Arcade1up and other home arcade machines  (Read 30739 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Arcade1up and other home arcade machines
« on: July 25, 2018, 07:27:43 PM »
https://www.arcade1up.com/

If the build quality on these things is good, that's a really good price for something like this!  Especially if it be easily hacked to have MAME installed.  :doge

That Street Fighter II machine
:lawd

They're smaller cabs, but you can get a riser to make it tall enough to play standing up.  Kinda cool.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 09:26:58 PM by pork »
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Re: Arcade1up - $399 Arcade Machines!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 07:29:52 PM »
Pretty neat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 07:37:20 PM »
PRE-ORDER NOW AT...

WAL-MART!

GAMESTOP!

AND

Bed, Bath, & Beyond
???
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 07:38:22 PM »
Huh, being sold at Gamestop and Wal-mart.

Fall on the sword for us and tell us how it is, if it's decent enough, I might splurge on one for a parent gift.

BisMarckie

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 07:40:29 PM »
That looks pretty neat, but my living situation doesn't allow it to buy one of these.

When I move out of the city into a nice suburban home though(probably still 2 years away) I will fulfill my nerdy dream and build a custom MAME cabinet :aah

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 07:42:25 PM »
Huh, being sold at Gamestop and Wal-mart.

Fall on the sword for us and tell us how it is, if it's decent enough, I might splurge on one for a parent gift.

I wouldn't want to buy one of these until finding out how the build quality is (and how well the games run and easy of hacking, for that matter), and even then I dunno- I live in a condo and we don't really have the space for an arcade machine.  My game room is already filled to capacity with shit.  :'(

Forget which seller it is, but there's a site that sells various custom MAME cabs or just the cab itself minus the monitor and PC inside for DIY stuff.  One of the configurations is a sit-down "deluxe" type that is large enough to put two arcade sticks on and then you can just put a TV or monitor (up to 32" I think) on top and hook up consoles/PCs/whatever inside for $250, IIRC.  That's actually way more appealing to me and could basically replace a TV stand, but these little cabs look a lot cooler design-wise and it's kinda nice gaming on a 55" TV at the moment.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:47:20 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 08:41:21 PM »
They're only 60 lbs, too.  Would be pretty easy to move around or move up stairs.   STOP TEMPTING ME.
:stop
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 08:44:05 PM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Arcade1up - $299-$399 Arcade Machines!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 08:45:54 PM »
Dimensions: 45.8 H x 22.75 H x 19 W

Weight: 58.5lbs
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 08:46:31 PM »
yaya ok JWong.  :esports

My wife would murder me, but...it seems like for not a lot more one could do a whole lot better?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 08:54:59 PM »
yaya ok JWong.  :esports

My wife would murder me, but...it seems like for not a lot more one could do a whole lot better?

If you can do everything yourself, sure.  But where can get a pre-made cab with monitor, plexiglass, internals, and all the art/decals and controls ready to go for three hundred bucks?

Gonna be an absolute steal if the quality is up to par and you can load it up with more ROMs.  Definitely something to wait and see on.  I could see myself buying one at some point in the future if they're good.
ど助平

BisMarckie

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 08:58:03 PM »
I feel like we are seeing bork giving in to buy one in real time here.  :doge

299 is a pretty good deal though. :whew
Is it worth it getting my gf mad though? :thinking

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 09:01:19 PM »

:lol  Nah, I'm pretty interested but I would not just pre-order one of these without knowing if they're shit or not.  Apparently they're going to be at Evo in two weeks so maybe we'll get some unbiased hands-on impressions.

Plus for me there's the matter of not really having a place to put it, lol.  I doubt my wife would be cool with it being in the living room.
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 12:41:19 AM »
Then having it at Evo is a pretty good sign actually.

Himu

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 12:48:46 AM »
Holy shit
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 12:55:42 AM »

299 is a pretty good deal though. :whew
Is it worth it getting my gf mad though? :thinking

Yes

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 01:11:10 AM »
Pfffffff so lame. Why don't you just get a raspberry pi, a $100 wal-mart monitor, and some sticks. Same thing. Why not just get a vintage machine?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have a vintage 1994 Astro City cabinet and I had to send the monitor assembly to the only guy in the United States who could fix it. He had a +3 month waiting list and it cost a shitload. It works now but it's in a constant state of repair. Don't do this
[close]

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 01:34:55 AM »
Sho why you gotta ruin my dream of one day owning a Marble Madness machine? :lol :gloomy
Hi

Sho Nuff

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 02:29:04 AM »
Oh god with the trackball

(shudders)

Bebpo

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 03:01:19 AM »
Why is it so small? Like I’m totally cool on the idea, but why not make it 1:1 arcade machine height? Unless that is 1:1 and arcade machines always looked taller as a kid, hmmmmmm

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 07:39:15 AM »
Why is it so small? Like I’m totally cool on the idea, but why not make it 1:1 arcade machine height? Unless that is 1:1 and arcade machines always looked taller as a kid, hmmmmmm

It's explained in the video I posted earlier.  :)

It's smaller and lighter, so it's easier to move around and fit into rooms, keeps the costs lower, and if you want it to have 1:1 height, you can get a riser to put underneath it.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 08:22:07 AM »
I feel like at that price, the hardware is guaranteed to be low quality especially the sticks and buttons.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 09:18:25 AM »
I feel like at that price, the hardware is guaranteed to be low quality especially the sticks and buttons.

If it is indeed going to be at Evo we will get some good reports on this.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 09:32:02 AM »
These things seem pretty cool and a good deal for what they are, especially once they are hacked to run whatever you want. Even if the parts stink, you could get the SF2 cabinet at Walmart for $100 cheaper and replace all the parts with Sanwa stuff for $100 and then you're set.

kingv

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2018, 09:40:19 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. If you can rip out the guts and replace it with a raspberry pi it might still be a pretty good deal.

I definitely like how they have the arcade style graphics. Most of the home made MAME cabinets I have seen look really amateur in that aspect, especially. It’s juat hard to mock it up to look legit like the real deal.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2018, 09:46:17 AM »
Hoping that there already is a Raspberry Pi inside or a cheapo PC (like a 'stick' PC or something) that can be easily modified.
:asuka
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2018, 09:52:44 AM »
They just keep saying its running on a "game specific emulator" but won't give any details beyond that. As long as whatever device it's using has USB or data access in some way, it should be hackable

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2018, 10:03:30 AM »
Zomgee annihilated. :noah

All that hard work restoring cabs wasted.  ;)
©ZH

kingv

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2018, 10:25:13 AM »
Goddamnit, now you guys have me thinking about year. To be honest, they’d be pretty damn cool even with no modding. The original controls would make a sweet basement arcade with 1 or 2 pinball tables. Of course, you could buy all of these for the price of a decent pinball table...

I think mame cabinets are cool, but one drawback is sometimes having like 10,000 games is actually not a benefit and you’d be better suited to have like 100 decent arcade games.

Himu

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2018, 11:11:07 AM »

You can replace the sticks and stuff for like 50 bucks though. Still a deal.
IYKYK

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2018, 11:39:50 AM »
Zomgee annihilated. :noah

All that hard work restoring cabs wasted.  ;)

Oh they offer pinball games? :)

I have a custom Mame cocktail cab I made which is nice. I have no problem with these things at all. Love the look. Wish the trackball game had Marble Madness. I'd like to know the trackball weight as well. It matters.

Shit's expensive. It's the cabinet build quality I am most concerned about to be honest. That and using a shit monitor that has no viewable angles to it. This really is meant to take a bite out of the home arcade market and go against that $2000(!) Namco arcade party device that has 13 games in it. It doesn't seem like there's any Namco games in the 1up collections. Just seems to be Capcom and Atari (who I believe owns Williams arcade rights). Also a bite out of those piece of shit 60-in-1's that fucking suck so much.

I'd like to see the emulation in action for accuracy (especially sound). I'd super like to see these in the hands of a hacker who could add some titles, as well.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:51:28 AM by zomgee »
rub

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2018, 12:24:08 PM »
Build quality is definitely my biggest concern here.  I mean, OK, it's smaller and is cheaper because of that...great.  It's still like $1000+ less than other home arcade units and there's got to be a reason for that.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2018, 12:46:34 PM »
Yoooooooo they are working on cocktail table units, too!

This literal arcade table features Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition, Super Street Fighter 2 and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the same machine with players duking it out at either side on their own screen — as it appears to have two or mirrored displays to play on.
ど助平

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2018, 01:07:30 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)
This literal arcade table features Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition, Super Street Fighter 2 and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the same machine with players duking it out at either side on their own screen — as it appears to have two or mirrored displays to play on.

Very cool, but a few things to think about. The viewable angle of that monitor has to be great. It must be an IPS which offers high degree viewing or else you get.. wall basically nothing. Rainbows and shadows on the screen. Which they should have hopefully figured that out. Next thing - the screen has to be as CLOSE to the top glass as possible. If it is sunk into the cabinet at all (which it appears to be pretty low!) you have lost any comfort in sitting at that cabinet.

I learned both of these lessons the hard way. I bought the wrong monitor which made the thing unplayable, and then I ended up sinking the monitor into the top wood to decrease the depth of the screen. Really helped.

On a positive note, I do believe I see a Pacman back there (hello there Namco games!) and the wood does seem somewhat thick! :D
rub

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2018, 01:37:41 PM »

Very cool, but a few things to think about. The viewable angle of that monitor has to be great. It must be an IPS which offers high degree viewing or else you get.. wall basically nothing. Rainbows and shadows on the screen. Which they should have hopefully figured that out. Next thing - the screen has to be as CLOSE to the top glass as possible. If it is sunk into the cabinet at all (which it appears to be pretty low!) you have lost any comfort in sitting at that cabinet.

I learned both of these lessons the hard way. I bought the wrong monitor which made the thing unplayable, and then I ended up sinking the monitor into the top wood to decrease the depth of the screen. Really helped.

On a positive note, I do believe I see a Pacman back there (hello there Namco games!) and the wood does seem somewhat thick! :D

Here's a better photo if that helps:

ど助平

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2018, 01:45:23 PM »
Ok, yeahp that's probably using the emulator's screen mirroring capability. I wonder what emu they are using? Screen looks ok and the depth doesn't seem too bad!
rub

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2018, 02:30:52 PM »
Ok, yeahp that's probably using the emulator's screen mirroring capability. I wonder what emu they are using? Screen looks ok and the depth doesn't seem too bad!
:leon

Am all for it if they somehow got a "cheap but good" quality thing going on...
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2018, 02:48:51 PM »
Oooh the cocktail tables would be awesome for like a coffee table

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2018, 03:15:12 PM »
They need to get these into a (urk) Youtube influencer's hands. Someone like John's Arcade. Someone who will actually play it and can show the good/bad.
rub

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2018, 03:32:20 PM »
Yeah that SF2 cocktail is a must have, I'll 100% get one of those. Even if the sticks/buttons are crap chinese quality thats an easy fix

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2018, 04:39:38 PM »

Himu

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2018, 04:45:16 PM »

Holy crap I need this

Here's a better photo if that helps:

IYKYK

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2018, 05:13:55 PM »
Yeah that SF2 cocktail is a must have, I'll 100% get one of those. Even if the sticks/buttons are crap chinese quality thats an easy fix

If I could make one suggestion, use controls from ultimarc.com. The guy sells quality.
rub

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2018, 08:09:26 PM »
yeah i'll probably get the american buttons he's got but i might opt for a japanese stick. it depends how the setup looks inside of that thing though.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2018, 09:38:26 PM »
They need to get these into a (urk) Youtube influencer's hands. Someone like John's Arcade. Someone who will actually play it and can show the good/bad.

I saw an impressions video got posted from Chris Bores, AKA The Irate Gamer, but when I saw his name I made sure not to click on it.  :doge

The fuck is this, an arcade cabinet for ants?

:bluesteel
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2018, 11:15:54 PM »

kingv

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2018, 10:37:09 AM »
I could see getting a cocktail table that has a bunch of the old games that actually lived in cocktail tables like Pac-Man, donkey Kong, and Galaga and like popeye.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2018, 11:22:29 AM »
I always wanted a cocktail table to use as my living room coffee table. :larry

And at these prices when it gets broken at our first house party I won't even really care. :gaben

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2018, 02:39:25 PM »
It doesn't seem like there's any Namco games in the 1up collections. Just seems to be Capcom and Atari (who I believe owns Williams arcade rights). Also a bite out of those piece of shit 60-in-1's that fucking suck so much.

There's a Galaga one (Walmart exclusive I think) and more than likely the other "surprise" cabinet is Pac-Man.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2018, 08:34:11 PM »
Assembly instructions.  Pretty similar to some stuff at IKEA.

ど助平

Sho Nuff

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2018, 12:37:39 PM »
I won't lie, this looks pretty great.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
Re: Arcade1up - $299 Arcade Machines!
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2018, 03:06:05 PM »
The Final Fight cabinet is delayed until spring next year because Best Buy didn't want to carry it.

Each retailer will have an exclusive cabinet, these are supposed to be "secret":

Wal-Mart: Galaga/Galaxian (confirmed by Arcade1up on Twitter)
Gamestop: Space Invaders/??? (not confirmed, but the picture is on their home page)
Best Buy and Bed Bath and Beyond's games aren't know but look to be Pac-Man (not known if it has other games) or Mortal Kombat 2-4.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:11:49 PM by porkbun »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2018, 03:10:30 PM »
The Final Fight cabinet is delayed until spring next year because Best Buy didn't want to carry it.

Each retailer will have an exclusive cabinet, these are supposed to be "secret":

Wal-Mart: Galaga/Galaxian (confirmed by Arcade1up on Twitter)
Gamestop: Space Invaders/??? (not confirmed, but the picture is on their home page)
Best Buy and Bed Bath and Beyond's games aren't know but look to be Pac-Man (not known if it has other games) or Mortal Kombat 2-4.

Mortal Kombat being exclusive to BED, BATH, & BEYOND would be hilarious.  It's got to be Pac-Man.
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2018, 03:12:56 PM »
Oh and the games are going to be on display at EVO this weekend, so it will be interesting to see the reactions from actual gamers instead of paid shills.

The risers will be $40-50.  The stools will not be released due to poor build quality.

It also sounds like these will be limited run from what their Twitter page was saying.  There's a new crop coming in spring 2019 that will replace the current line up.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2018, 03:48:34 PM »
Any info on the tables? My wife was surprisingly supportive of the idea :lol

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2018, 04:06:28 PM »
Haven't heard anything about those yet, I think they're trying to keep future releases more of a secret.  They are announcing the new lineup at CES next year.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2018, 04:35:52 PM »
MK 1-3U would flip my opinion of these.  :obama

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2018, 07:10:32 PM »

That's fucking stupid. I wanted that one.  :'(
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2018, 08:42:31 PM »
It also sounds like these will be limited run from what their Twitter page was saying.  There's a new crop coming in spring 2019 that will replace the current line up.

Still going to wait on these unless someone is able to confirm this weekend that the quality is amazing for the price and that it's hackable.   :P
ど助平