Author Topic: Arcade1up and other home arcade machines  (Read 30754 times)

Shuri

Re: Arcade1up - $299 Arcade Machines!
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2019, 12:29:19 AM »
I like the look of this, the 8 white buttons are ruining the control panel.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2019, 06:47:14 PM »
cocktail cab is finally up for presale - 12 games - $499
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Street-Fighter-Head-2-Head-Table-Arcade1UP/326049104

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2019, 10:28:18 PM »

Cool, but too much SF2 here.  Nobody wants to play SF1 either- I would have just put SF2 Turbo and Super Turbo on there and replaced the other four games with different Capcom titles.  Ditto for Darkstalkers- why the hell is this on there?  At least go with Vampire Hunter.
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2019, 01:29:15 AM »
I think I would have been conservative and just blown the load, 3S, VS, A2/3, whatever. Seems like they are holding back in order to sell more later in case it's a hit.

Seems like the iterative game would center on build quality, more titles, etc.

Rman

« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2019, 08:52:09 AM »

Cool, but too much SF2 here.  Nobody wants to play SF1 either- I would have just put SF2 Turbo and Super Turbo on there and replaced the other four games with different Capcom titles.  Ditto for Darkstalkers- why the hell is this on there?  At least go with Vampire Hunter.
Or Vampire Savior.

I think the reason the original gets so much love is that it had a wide distribution in the arcades in the US. I've never seen an American Vampire Hunter cab and I was a huge arcade head. DarkStalkers was pretty popular, though.

kingv

« Reply #125 on: October 12, 2019, 09:28:56 AM »
They really need to post some pics of someone sitting at one of these cocktail cabinets.

I get the feeling they are normal sized, but not really sure.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #126 on: October 12, 2019, 10:27:59 AM »
looks like they are a bit small but not as small as the standups

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: October 12, 2019, 11:13:31 AM »
I think the reason the original gets so much love is that it had a wide distribution in the arcades in the US. I've never seen an American Vampire Hunter cab and I was a huge arcade head. DarkStalkers was pretty popular, though.

Don't remember seeing VH anywhere, either- but Vampire Savior was around.  That shouldn't matter regardless.  It's just dumb including the original when Hunter, Savior, Hunter 2, and Savior 2 are all available. 

Their game choices are sometimes baffling.  Glad that there are affordable, higher-quality "DIY" kits like the Xtension stuff available- a friend of mine has spent probably close to $1000 buying Arcade 1up products.  Me?  I'm good with my one cab that plays thousands of games and can be easily "upgraded" with new hardware.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2019, 12:30:38 PM »
LOL.  An Xtension cab is just housing a TV/monitor and the joysticks are USB- you can hook up whatever you want to it easily! 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2019, 04:52:06 PM »
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2019, 05:28:12 PM »
Hardware seems cool, and I like the idea of putting your own games into it, but:

>Subscription
>Online network to get to your library.

:donot

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2019, 11:58:05 AM »
I was able to convince the wife to drunk buy me the MK one as my gift last night as they are $199 at Walmart at moment. Looking around at mod options/how easy it would be to maybe add a pi in there. The MK button scheme would be pretty jank for other stuff, but since there is a run button it would make shit serviceable for what will amount to a novelty.

Seeing that there was a better rev of it at Costco that had a lit marquee, but that seems to be way over $199 (which is about my threshold for gaming bullshit).

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2019, 07:46:16 PM »
AFAIK you still have to wire up a Pi to everything using some adapters and can't just 'hack' the machine. 
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2019, 10:23:02 PM »
seems so, more of a mod than anything. still kinda going back and forth as to whether to keep the order in but leaning towards it. I wish it had the light up marquee.  :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2019, 10:24:53 PM »
seems so, more of a mod than anything. still kinda going back and forth as to whether to keep the order in but leaning towards it. I wish it had the light up marquee.  :doge

I would return it and get a custom cab instead.   :P
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2019, 12:39:08 AM »

I mean if it's possible to mod it even with a Pi (even if it's more work) wouldn't that still be a good price? What is the biggest difference beyond that? Just the ease of modding?

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2019, 07:19:41 AM »
seems so, more of a mod than anything. still kinda going back and forth as to whether to keep the order in but leaning towards it. I wish it had the light up marquee.

Just FYI that $199 version of MK doesn't include a riser.  If you want to get a cabinet to mod, FYE has theirs (including Street Fighter) for $99, and risers for $30, otherwise a lot of Wal Marts seem to be clearancing out some of the cabinets for $75, but YMMV a lot on that one.  My local WM has never dropped a price.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 07:25:36 AM by porkbun »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2019, 08:07:00 AM »

I mean if it's possible to mod it even with a Pi (even if it's more work) wouldn't that still be a good price? What is the biggest difference beyond that? Just the ease of modding?

The general quality of Arcade 1up cabs is not going to be as good (not just the materials, but the screen as well- it's got a mono speaker too, IIRC), plus if you want all the buttons, you'll have to drill holes and get additional buttons wired up or purchase a pre-modded replacement top.  I'm sure it's probably still cheaper when all is said and done, but for a bit more I went for the Xtension Alphacade bartop machine and am glad I did this- it was easy enough to put together and came with a joystick unit already ready to go- it's USB and the TV inside has an HDMI cable in the back, making it entirely plug and play.  I have a Pi hooked up to it but can easily switch this out for a PC if I want since the joystick allows for X-input as well.  Would like to do that at some point so I can start using the cab for modern fighting games. :drool
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 08:11:50 AM by pork »
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2019, 12:26:10 PM »
Just FYI that $199 version of MK doesn't include a riser.  If you want to get a cabinet to mod, FYE has theirs (including Street Fighter) for $99, and risers for $30, otherwise a lot of Wal Marts seem to be clearancing out some of the cabinets for $75, but YMMV a lot on that one.  My local WM has never dropped a price.

$99 for a SF is dope, no NME near though and seems sold out on site.  I have seen the SF one a bit cheaper before, but MK2 cab/decal is one of my all-time faves.

RE: clearance, thanks, saw some of that while looking at mod options. I saw them at full price a few weeks ago at local WM, will check game section before actually picking it up to make sure nothing in clearance. As for risers, showing in store nearby for like ~44, which I guess I'd want to get but price keeps inching up.  :lol

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2019, 12:49:00 PM »

$99 for a SF is dope, no NME near though and seems sold out on site.  I have seen the SF one a bit cheaper before, but MK2 cab/decal is one of my all-time faves.

RE: clearance, thanks, saw some of that while looking at mod options. I saw them at full price a few weeks ago at local WM, will check game section before actually picking it up to make sure nothing in clearance. As for risers, showing in store nearby for like ~44, which I guess I'd want to get but price keeps inching up.  :lol

Yeah the cabinet design on MK2 is really good.  They generally did a better job on the cabinet art on the second wave versus the first, especially compared to Rampage, which has horrible side art (though I was reallllly tempted to grab one at the mall yesterday at that price and then change up the cabinet art to Gauntlet).  They also come with the deck protectors and allow you to get into options menus.

Some Wal Marts have had the risers on clearance as well.  I've also seen people using stuff from Ikea, etc to raise them up.  Otherwise if you have something you can sit on, the cabinets are ok without risers. 

Part of the reason the Costco MK cabinet is more than WM's is that is has both a riser and stool included, as well as Sanwa joysticks and buttons.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 12:53:34 PM by porkbun »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2019, 01:00:26 PM »
Yeah I was looking at a comparison vid. The stool is dumb but everything else was nicer.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2019, 01:57:33 PM »
Yeah, holy shit, I'd take an SF one for $99. 

...Although I'd rather just buy that tiny arcade SF2 machine instead.  :P
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #142 on: December 17, 2019, 08:26:48 AM »
I have that one, it's made really well and surprisingly playable given the size.  I wanted to get in on their Kickstarter for Dragon's Lair, but didn't have money at the time.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2020, 09:26:42 PM »
ど助平

Re: Arcade1up and other home arcade machines
« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2020, 04:39:47 PM »
In my stupidity I've convinced myself that I really need a modded TMNT machine. Had a line on one from Wal-Mart for $200 but a trip to the store turned up nada. Keeping an eye on a couple of other stores that are starting to discount.

Figure I'm going to go with a permanent raspberry pi solution. Looking at something like this as a baseline for being super lazy and wanting to make no decisions:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/734734864/arcade1up-tmnt-4-player-raspberry-pi-3

But also looking at what I can get for buying all the parts individually. Possibly looking at better joystick/button parts. I don't know. I figure I got one shot at this and the wife and I have already agreed to a spot that this is going to go. It's a vanity project where I can't really justify thousands on completely custom parts for something that isn't going to get any use. So I figure modifying the 4 player TMNT Arcade 1up cabinet is the optimal way to go. I've already been setting up a gaming worthy laptop we use for being something that can swap in and out with the Pi in case I want to play something more recent like Naomi games.

Mainly I'm just kind of talking (or typing as the case may be here) out loud to try and stop myself from making any obvious mistakes. But basically I really, really like this setup I'm seeing in this image here from the etsy link above:

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2020, 10:08:34 PM »
For what will end up being around $500, you might just want to look into something from a seller like RecRoomMasters (Xtension), although I think it would cost a lot more for a 4P cab from them.
ど助平

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2020, 10:54:01 PM »
I’ve seen those Turtle cabinets at my Walmart, but they were $400 not $200
WDW

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: January 22, 2020, 07:29:33 AM »

Some Walmarts were dumping them for half price.  In-store only.
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2020, 08:58:44 AM »
Some stores have been dropping to as low as $75, but there's been jackshit at my local one.  Everything is still full price.

Last time I was at FYE, they had some for $99, but they were the Atari and Street Fighter ones I already have.

« Reply #149 on: January 22, 2020, 10:24:44 AM »
For what will end up being around $500, you might just want to look into something from a seller like RecRoomMasters (Xtension), although I think it would cost a lot more for a 4P cab from them.

Yeah, I mean this certainly is a much better machine:

https://www.recroommasters.com/32-Pro-Upright-Xtension-Arcade-4-Player-Cabinet-p/rm-xt-32-pro-4p.htm

But that's $1100 without a monitor or any hardware powering it. For what it is I'd say it's probably worth it if you were trying to do it right, but this is just getting into double the amount of money that I want to spend on something this stupid. They don't have a 4 player design for 3/4 scale.

My cousin told me that this site came through for him with a $99 Final Fight cabinet: https://deals.consolekits.com/

There was a Wal-Mart about 30 miles away that had TMNT for $200. But when I checked it out the person claimed that they had two the day before and they were gone. Site above still showed they had them in stock so I can't vouch for its accuracy or how recent the inventory check is. Right now there's a couple of other options for $300 it seems near me, but $200 is about the right point where I can justify this idiocy.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2020, 10:29:38 AM »
if you wanted to replace all the buttons+sticks in the arcade1up itd be like $160 for 4 players worth of sanwas. i dunno how the defaults feel though, might not be needed

« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2020, 10:36:53 AM »
if you wanted to replace all the buttons+sticks in the arcade1up itd be like $160 for 4 players worth of sanwas. i dunno how the defaults feel though, might not be needed

If you want it to play stuff other than TMNT you're going to have to buy button kits and drill extra holes anyway. The question then just becomes do you want to go with the Sanwa stuff or do you just want to use some knockoff stuff that'll probably be "good enough" for these purposes. Like this is the kind of thing you see recommended on reddit for these mods:

https://www.amazon.com/Hikig-Buttons-joysticks-Controller-Raspberry/dp/B07JFXQSM5/

And yeah it looked like it'd be about twice that for the better sticks/buttons.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2020, 10:43:52 AM »
well the plus side is you get to join the world of arcade fans and share our joy of dealing with weird hardware and spending more than your budget by testing out a bunch of different parts. it's all part of the shared experience of being an arcade owner.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2020, 05:39:48 PM »

I haven't played the TMNT cabinet but supposedly they improved the joysticks and buttons.

For modding, probably the way to go is a SF2 cabinet.

« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2020, 04:29:45 PM »

If you wanted sets of sanwas and wanted to ensure that they weren't cheap knockoffs where do you go to buy this stuff?

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2020, 05:19:50 PM »
I am out of it but http://focusattack.com. When I was looking at modding the 1up I saw a few drop-in options for gen1-2 cabs, but unlikely there is anything for turtles.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2020, 09:52:24 AM »
personally i prefer http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com because they ship faster and charge less for shipping (iirc the FA minimum used to be like $8 shipping) but FA works just as well and may arrive faster if you are on the east coast.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2020, 09:31:37 AM »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1232307664073322496

Their prices only seem to be going up, but at least it's for new features- this one has wifi enabled for online play.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:43:27 AM by bork »
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2020, 09:32:41 AM »
that photoshopping in the last pic :lol

« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2020, 12:26:19 PM »
I've still been waffling a lot on which direction to go or if I should just abandon the whole thing entirely. If I could compromise on wanting a 4 player cabinet I think this looks like a good lowish-mid price option:

https://www.recroommasters.com/24-Xtension-Gameplay-Jr-Arcade-Cabinet-p/rm-xt-32-gameplay-jr.htm

I like that a lot more than the 3/4 Alpha-Cade machine bork was linking on the last page from a while back.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2020, 07:01:36 AM »
I've still been waffling a lot on which direction to go or if I should just abandon the whole thing entirely. If I could compromise on wanting a 4 player cabinet I think this looks like a good lowish-mid price option:

https://www.recroommasters.com/24-Xtension-Gameplay-Jr-Arcade-Cabinet-p/rm-xt-32-gameplay-jr.htm

I like that a lot more than the 3/4 Alpha-Cade machine bork was linking on the last page from a while back.

I think that might be something new?  Looks good!  I went to their shop to pick mine up and I can certainly say that all of the cab types they had looked like they were very high quality.
ど助平

« Reply #161 on: March 02, 2020, 12:12:49 PM »

I think that might be something new?  Looks good!  I went to their shop to pick mine up and I can certainly say that all of the cab types they had looked like they were very high quality.

I went ahead and got that 24" cab. Assembled it on Saturday. I'm really digging it!

Shuri

« Reply #162 on: March 02, 2020, 06:27:21 PM »
what the fuck, those xtension sit down pedestral kits from recroommasters are super expensive now . A couple of years ago, I was thinking about perhaps getting one but felt they were expensive at 399

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2020, 08:06:10 AM »
Now they're putting SNES games on these things and the same games on different cabs. 
 :larry

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1270853339232772097

Anyway, fuck those, they're going to start pinball machines and will be releasing a Sega cab including Golden Axe: Revenge Of Death Adder.

ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #164 on: June 11, 2020, 08:15:25 AM »
I would get the MVC one but it would need to be cheap. Curious about the pinball but it doesn't look the greatest.  :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #165 on: June 11, 2020, 08:16:30 AM »
I would get the MVC one but it would need to be cheap. Curious about the pinball but it doesn't look the greatest.  :lol

It's just a mock-up.  I mean, I wouldn't buy any of their stuff, but that's at least more interesting.
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #166 on: June 11, 2020, 08:31:38 AM »
they need to do better.  :doge

I have actually never played revenge of death adder although it looks like a 4 person cab? not sure how great that would be going by the 2P ones. I think I would go for NBA Jam anyway.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2020, 09:04:59 AM »
This is technically the first official "home" version of Revenge Of Death Adder, so that's pretty cool.

I just wouldn't spend several hundred dollars for this and a couple of other old games.  I know they'll never be able to match dedicated mame-style cabs/emu boxes, but I wish they included a lot more games on these things.
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #168 on: June 11, 2020, 09:45:02 AM »
That's one of my complaints with them as well.  Like I have the SF2 one, which only has 3 games, but the cocktail table version has 12?

My Asteroids/Centipede cabinet gets a lot more play because it has 12 games on it and probably more importantly, the games have unique trackball/spinner controls that I can't replicate otherwise.  I literally have dozens of ways to play arcade games that have standard controls.  The Big Buck Hunter cabinet is a step in the right direction though.  I might bite on a Sega light gun cabinet with House of the Dead/Virtual Cop or a Midway one with T2/Revolution X.  A driving cabinet would also be cool.

The price is also an issue.  Like they have a Frogger coming out that's $400 for 3 games.  That's just ridiculous.  I got a couple of cocktail cabinets for AliExpress for under $200 each that have 1000+ games on them.  Unfortunately none of the stores in my area seem to have the killer clearance deals for $50-75.

I'd be more interested in the pinball if it used real tables and wasn't running Zen Pinball.  I don't like the physics on those games.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2020, 03:51:21 PM »
I'd only pick those pinball tables up as a novelty. Any price is too expensive for that emulation.
rub

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #170 on: July 02, 2020, 10:25:51 AM »
Just FYI I did a survey from Arcade1Up a couple of days ago.  Some possible upcoming cabinets are Donkey Kong, Simpsons, and X-Men.  It looks like they also might be doing full-size cabinets, but those would be $1-3K.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: July 02, 2020, 11:53:47 AM »
Just FYI I did a survey from Arcade1Up a couple of days ago.  Some possible upcoming cabinets are Donkey Kong, Simpsons, and X-Men. 

Donkey Kong would be pretty big.  Has Nintendo even licensed that out to anyone since they started making their own consoles?

It looks like they also might be doing full-size cabinets, but those would be $1-3K.

:nope
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #172 on: July 02, 2020, 10:21:45 PM »
Wait they’re doing a big buck? Might need that shit

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2020, 08:52:41 AM »
For $500 I would have thought they would put on the correct number of buttons and in the right layout.  And the tiny coin door makes no sense.

But it is a decent selection of games (though more shooters would be nice) and it's good to see one of these coming out with more than a handful of games on it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #175 on: August 13, 2020, 08:57:25 AM »
For $500 I would have thought they would put on the correct number of buttons and in the right layout.  And the tiny coin door makes no sense.

Am assuming they did that so people can go with an ABCD layout or the CD/AB layouts.  Also good for modders.

Maybe the coin door serves a purpose of some kind?  It is kinda weird.

But it is a decent selection of games (though more shooters would be nice) and it's good to see one of these coming out with more than a handful of games on it.

Major props to them for releasing something like this with 50 games- assuming the quality is on par, it shits all over what Arcade 1up has been doing.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #177 on: August 13, 2020, 09:16:34 AM »
Yeah, looking at the website, SNK isn't mentioned at all, so it's probably a Chinese bootleg.  There were quite a few similar bartop shells on AliExpress with Pi or Pandora's Box put in, I got one a couple years ago for around $150.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #179 on: August 17, 2020, 12:17:31 PM »
I don't get this current movement of making smaller arcade cabs that cost the same as a used arcade cab with original hardware. If you're the type of person who is going to buy a cab today, you're also the type of person that will spend hours replacing the guts to get it working right and spend hundreds more with whatever you pick.