Author Topic: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (translator's note: Sekiro means ninja fuckery)  (Read 90957 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
There is now a mod that lets you play as Ryu

:doge
What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
LOL so Distortion has the WR for all beads. all memories now for like 3-4 days and yesterday he was 1 minute ahead of it at the Isshin fight and by mistake used Double Ichimonji because of the UBER SHIT way the game handles L1 + R1 inputs. He died of course and the new WR (still his) is lost.

Fuck this game for the imbecile way of assigning Combat Arts to L1 + R1 while having block as L1 and attack as R1. Happened to me too many times so after like 30 hours I just unassigned it and had 0 Combats Arts on me. They are useless anyway so no big deal.
You can remap controls though, that's pretty sweet.

Himu

Not once in my 60+ hours did I ever accidentally hit block or attack when I meant to go for a combat art. Pretty easy.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Not once in my 60+ hours did I ever accidentally hit block or attack when I meant to go for a combat art. Pretty easy.
Distortion is a casul.  :doge

El Babua

Owl Father is the best boss in the game so far.

Just beat Divine Dragon, which was a pretty cool spectacle. I hear these last couple of bosses are on the frustrating side of difficult so we'll see how that goes.

So far, as far as my ranking for Soulsish FROM games go it's

Bloodborne = Demon's > Sekiro > Dark 3 = Dark 1 > Dark 2

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
I honestly thought the boss for the good ending was the best one in the game. Basically tests all the skills you've learned throughout the game.

Hate the Shura ending boss.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I didn't understand the dumbass fire attack at all, so I looked up how to deal with that one... "Jump to your right four times" which actually works for avoiding it. Fucking stupid.
[close]

El Babua

I would consider the Demon of Hatred to be a cheap asshole if the fire umbrella didn't exist. But holy shit, the dodge and jump timings to avoid his AOE fire attacks are ridiculous.

Got him down to almost death, but I panicked and fucked up.  :doge

El Babua

Beat DOH and Isshin

Awesome final boss! I made it a goal to kill myself if I lost a life to Genichiro, so I'm pretty sure I died more to him than Isshin lol

I got into the zone when I hit phase 3 for the first time, almost unconsciously parrying and blocking his attacks - managing to break his posture and put it to an end. Did have to use a hidden tooth at some point during the fight to save a revive however.

Isshin kept me on the absolute edge, but there was a counter to all his attacks. Really liked that both Owl Father and Isshin punished you for trying to dodge their windups (I'm sure i'm in the minority on that). And the umbrella saved me from a few of his AOE attacks. Even including Genichiro, I still think I died more against Gehrman actually.

Gotta ruminate a bit on Sekiro. But I don't think it'll change my previous ranking. I thought the Fountainhead Palace - Endgame was actually the best stretch of the game, so like Bloodborne it ended pretty strong.

Really excited to see what FROM has in store at E3 and hopefully we get some DLC announcements for Sekiro too!

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna

Might as well show off my final fight.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
I spent my time listening to music while grinding.

The superhit on which I got the platinum.

paprikastaude

not even a trophy for defeating tutorial genjiro   :comeon

Himu

https://www.reddit.com/r/fromsoftware/comments/c14l2x/sekiro_dlc_not_in_dev_according_to_resetera/

No dlc for Sekiro.

:idont

I mean, the game is great nothing new makes the game ultimately limited. Great game and so far goty but nothing compared to BB. Elden Ring I hope is on par! :hyper Most anticipated game rn.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
https://www.reddit.com/r/fromsoftware/comments/c14l2x/sekiro_dlc_not_in_dev_according_to_resetera/

No dlc for Sekiro.

:idont
Can't say i'll miss it, i basically forgot about the game in record time (whereas usually i'd play FROM games for dozens and dozens of hours past their ending).

I think it's good for them to move on to something with a bit more substance to it (hopefully Elden Ring is that).

Bebpo

That's pretty weird since they've done substantial DLC expansion on all their games for a while.

Plus the DLCs are often better than the main games. Was looking to jump back on for the DLC.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
One of my friends hasn't played the game yet, so I'm turning it into a drinking game. Take a shot of hard liquor every time he dies.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (translator's note: Sekiro means ninja fuckery)
« Reply #916 on: August 17, 2019, 02:47:28 PM »
Lady Butterdly and GYOUBU ONIWA!!!!!! are realy fucking us up. Still coherent enough to wriye, but barely.

El Babua

« Reply #917 on: August 17, 2019, 03:50:14 PM »
Die or die twice?

Imma try beating the final boss on edibles in NG+

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #918 on: August 17, 2019, 06:03:44 PM »
Die twice. Friendvfucked off at 11:30 pm. nToo much fucking alcohol..'

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #919 on: August 17, 2019, 06:06:09 PM »
Really  badc idea ... Donr themselvesurn the gamee intto a drin iingbgame.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #920 on: August 17, 2019, 06:08:52 PM »
U
i hatew how  te fucking teribble writing gives me laughing fits

El Babua

« Reply #921 on: October 12, 2019, 12:19:46 PM »
Imma try beating the final boss on edibles in NG+

As promised, here's me fighting Isshin (zooted)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #922 on: October 12, 2019, 12:55:35 PM »

Svejk

Re: Sekiro: Threads Die Twice
« Reply #923 on: January 02, 2020, 01:18:35 PM »
Finally getting on the Sekiro train.  Glad to see it's getting multiple GOTY awards.  I've only gotten to that flaming village so far, but damn this shit good.   Reading back on this thread, I pretty much have yet to see anything this game has to offer. lol  So looking forward to it!

Svejk

« Reply #924 on: January 02, 2020, 05:30:04 PM »
Why are most of your posts in this thread edited out, Borys?  :lol

Himu

« Reply #925 on: January 02, 2020, 05:45:11 PM »
GG Svejk. Hope you enjoy it more than me. I found it to be one of the weakest Souls game in existence. SUPERB art direction and voice acting, though. And ANIMAL KINGDOM instead of Knights & Shit.

In the end, Sekiro is pretty forgettable due to the lack of RPG choices. There's almost no choice and combat isn't interesting past a certain point. I don't see myself combing back to it unfortunately, but I do think they improve lots in a sequel. I want an From RPG in Japan. Sekiro is great for scratching the Ninja Gaiden itch and got me to give Souls another chance, which I vastly prefer to it, so there's that at least. Still GOTY 2019 despite what misgivings I'm writing. BB and DS1 are just that much better. :yeshrug
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #926 on: January 02, 2020, 06:02:50 PM »
There's enough Souls games, including a Samurai clone. Thank god this game was different.

El Babua

« Reply #927 on: January 03, 2020, 01:09:05 AM »
Loved that they did a straight Action-Adventure game.

Main criticisms are that almost all the sword skills are worthless aside from like 3 and that most of the prosthetic tools are more circumstantial than generally useful.

Otherwise it has the most realized combat mechanics in a Souls-Era FROM game and I hope they build on it for future titles.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #928 on: January 03, 2020, 03:25:10 AM »
Not every game has to be a goddamn rpg
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #929 on: January 03, 2020, 05:05:23 AM »
Even made by Team Ninja, sans Itagaki. So it should scratch that Ninja Gaiden itch even moreso.
What

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #930 on: January 03, 2020, 05:10:13 AM »
Warning: NiOh is trash.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #931 on: January 03, 2020, 05:40:17 AM »
Warning: NiOh is trash.

Lol no it aint

What

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

Svejk

« Reply #933 on: January 03, 2020, 09:16:14 AM »
Like Bloodborne, I got NiOh through PS+ also.  Wanted to try it out too, as I enjoyed the beta.  Time is totally against me.  :fbm

Svejk

« Reply #934 on: January 04, 2020, 02:16:21 PM »
Fuck this game is brutal.  A midboss I've defeated before, I completely struggled with last night. Just couldn't nail the rhythm for some reason. I got him eventually, but getting frustrated with myself.. I did end up swapping the item use/prosthetic change buttons.. it's stupid having to let go of the left analog to use an item.. have to rework my muscle memory again. Lol.

Svejk

« Reply #935 on: January 04, 2020, 04:07:39 PM »
I'm still near the beginning.. :-[  It was one of the Samurai Generals.  I was having a bit of a rough night last night.  :doge

Svejk

« Reply #936 on: January 05, 2020, 03:47:25 AM »
Took out the drunkard on first try (got a stealth blow prior), and after about 4-5 tries, took down Lady Butterfly.  It seems what I read about blocking practically everything simply does not work.. using the trusted dodge and attack is the way to go in a lot of cases... Doing much better this evening than last night, heh.

Bebpo

« Reply #937 on: January 05, 2020, 04:12:48 PM »
I saw the Era thread on Sekiro mod scene and it looks like there's some cool stuff. When the PC version is cheap will probably double dip and try this again.

Svejk

« Reply #938 on: January 13, 2020, 06:33:20 PM »
Although it not being difficult at all, the General on the horse was a fun fight.   This game so has the verbatim camera lock drop like DS3 and BB.  I find that pretty annoying.  Even if the camera is flipping around like crazy, I'd rather it stay locked until you unlock it yourself.  Up to the bull fight.  He's annoyingly spaztic and the camera was fucking me up. (Totally having some Cleric beast flashbacks).  Had to stop at it, as it was getting late.  Otherwise, I'm trying to wrap my head around Dragonrot too... The blood sample quest just popped up.. it seems like the Dragonrot only plays into effect when you die without resurrecting??  Also, I take it that you can get more of those Dragon tear things that cure the rot on affected NPC's?  Other than that, I'm having a blast with this game.

Svejk

« Reply #939 on: February 01, 2020, 01:41:08 PM »
After 3 week hiatus, got back in last night.  Defeated the bull and got to Ashina castle.  Love how it suddenly branched out with multiple paths.  The bull kept kicking my ass because I was sprinting without the lock on.  Then did it with the lock on, and didn't even have to heal once.   :doge. By far the easiest "boss" in the game so far.

Himu

IYKYK

El Babua

This is like when GRRM stops writing on ASOIAF to do more Wild Cards. Glad FROM picked up his habits while working on Elden Ring.  :doge

Aside from that, this is a huge surprise. I don't think FROM's ever feature-updated a game this far from release. Hopefully it coincides with DLC. I remember Bloodborne adding new features via update prior to their DLC release.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Nice, glad I'll be able to play this new update on my new Xbox when it comes out
fat

Svejk

A little late there From?   I got mods that are better than this now.  :doge

Now get back in there and don't come out till Elden Ring is done!   :steiner

El Babua

This is pretty interesting.

https://blog.activision.com/sekiro/2020-07/Sekiro-Shadows-Die-Twice-Free-Update

Remnants – Recordings for Recovery

Whether you are a new player ready to experience Sekiro for the first time or are gearing up to face past challenges once more, expect a brand-new player movement and text recording system that could aid you and your fellow wolves on your journey.

Remnants are recordings of what a player does in-game for up to 30 seconds at a time and are available for use after the game’s tutorial. After a player records their Remnant – whether it is an epic takedown of an enemy or a flawless demonstration of a tricky movement technique – it can be uploaded along with a written message so that other community members can play it back. Through these Remnants, one could hope that they or others may gain the knowledge and further insight to overcome their current obstacle. For those seeking ultimate guidance on traversing treacherous areas, or seeking hidden alcoves or curious cubby-holes, these records may prove a blessing from the gods.

If a community member watches and then rates a Remnant, the owner of it will have their HP recover for free, allowing them to get back into the fight quicker without the use of a Sculptor’s Idol, or consumable items such as Healing Gourds.

The Remnant feature seems like an update to the message system in their previous games.

The message system was one of the more undderated, and almost forgotten aspects of what made FROM so successful. It really catapulted Demon's Souls to be the hit that it was as it gave new players a nice crutch to lean on, while letting the community riff on stuff through the game itself. Back in 2009, it was considered one of the most revolutionary things the game did.

Unfortunately, once they stopped using dedicated servers for Dark Souls, getting rid of the pool of connected players from thousands to just 16, the system was never given its due. Unless you count "Tongue but hole" in DS2 lol

Himu

This is pretty interesting.

https://blog.activision.com/sekiro/2020-07/Sekiro-Shadows-Die-Twice-Free-Update

Remnants – Recordings for Recovery

Whether you are a new player ready to experience Sekiro for the first time or are gearing up to face past challenges once more, expect a brand-new player movement and text recording system that could aid you and your fellow wolves on your journey.

Remnants are recordings of what a player does in-game for up to 30 seconds at a time and are available for use after the game’s tutorial. After a player records their Remnant – whether it is an epic takedown of an enemy or a flawless demonstration of a tricky movement technique – it can be uploaded along with a written message so that other community members can play it back. Through these Remnants, one could hope that they or others may gain the knowledge and further insight to overcome their current obstacle. For those seeking ultimate guidance on traversing treacherous areas, or seeking hidden alcoves or curious cubby-holes, these records may prove a blessing from the gods.

If a community member watches and then rates a Remnant, the owner of it will have their HP recover for free, allowing them to get back into the fight quicker without the use of a Sculptor’s Idol, or consumable items such as Healing Gourds.

The Remnant feature seems like an update to the message system in their previous games.

The message system was one of the more undderated, and almost forgotten aspects of what made FROM so successful. It really catapulted Demon's Souls to be the hit that it was as it gave new players a nice crutch to lean on, while letting the community riff on stuff through the game itself. Back in 2009, it was considered one of the most revolutionary things the game did.

Unfortunately, once they stopped using dedicated servers for Dark Souls, getting rid of the pool of connected players from thousands to just 16, the system was never given its due. Unless you count "Tongue but hole" in DS2 lol

This is basically easy mode. Fuck off!
IYKYK

El Babua

It's probably gonna be the same system they use for Elden Ring.  :doge

Himu

I like leaving messages in souls games. So now I get healed when I leave one?! Fuck that!
IYKYK

El Babua

That's been like the case since Demon's lmao

Himu

I didn't know that
IYKYK

paprikastaude

I only don't like that they now try to get this back closer to Souls.

El Babua

I didn't know that

Well, only if someone "likes" your message. So just posting one won't net you any health.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #953 on: August 07, 2020, 07:03:26 PM »
I beat it today.  Kinda was done with it a while ago in terms of my enjoyment but wanted to get all the bosses and shit.  Overall I think I had a lot more fun with the mini-bosses than the real ones, mostly because I love the idea of stealth to make it easier off the bat.  Father Owl was a fun fight though.  Lots of things I liked about the game but it also felt really amateurish and had poor game design in places, especially compared to Dark Souls.  Also, the story is obnoxiously Japanese. 

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #954 on: August 07, 2020, 08:20:25 PM »
racist

got immortal severance ending, will probably do second playthrough to get the Return ending

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #955 on: August 09, 2020, 07:08:33 PM »
Watching some stuff I missed on Youtube and man the English VAs are so much worse than the Japanese.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #956 on: August 15, 2020, 04:02:45 AM »

This line read is absolutely amazing.