Author Topic: ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS - Thread of Gaming Zen  (Read 207469 times)

Tasty

(Image removed from quote.)

Caught bugs and fish and weeded until my batteries ran out. Tomorrow I'll have a house. :money

I can't wait to waste away hours of my life at The Bore!

Wait...

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
https://acpatterns.com/browse

Image converter for your memes

Tasty

- Animal Crossing with vibration yessss.

:aah Now I know why fishing always felt like trash in the handheld versions.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

Caught bugs and fish and weeded until my batteries ran out. Tomorrow I'll have a house. :money

LOL, named my town "Boredom."
:heh
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Also named my island The Bore.  :snoop
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

LOL, named my town "Boredom."
:heh

:nope  boredom

:ohyeah bore dom
dog

Tasty

Cindi's disappointment is kinda re-affirming to me that it was the right decision to spoil the shit out of myself as much as possible.

I've also been a hardline AC purist at times but I also realized that I *do* like change in the series, it just takes time for it to sink in and for me to adapt my AC playstyles around it. I clearly remember that being the case for New Leaf.

"Ewwww the legs and arms are all stretched out? Looks more like Slenderman than Animal Crossing. Glad Smash is keeping the classic design."

"ReTail? WTF is this shit? Why do I have to choose where to sell stuff? Is Nookington's or whatever completely gone?"

"WTF? NOTHING on Main Street is open your first day? The only thing open is the museum? It takes WHAT to unlock Shampoodle and the Dream Suit?"

"Wow, they completely broke the Animal Crossing economy with the island and bugs. Clearly just to appeal casuals who want to unlock shit as quick as possible."

Then I played New Leaf for over 200 hours and I can tell you I love the game, and it's my second favorite in the series. Just wanna say with Animal Crossing you need to think long-term. New Leaf taught me a lot of lessons like that lol.

Also by spoiling myself I let myself come to grips with all the changes and now I'm hitting the ground running. What's important to me is that at a certain point it becomes the classic AC experience just with more freedom and customization. And New Leaf took like a month to unlock everything so I'm expecting and comfortable with a similar timescale for New Horizons.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 01:32:28 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

Also named my island The Bore.  :snoop

The Bore 2: Island Boogaloo

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
I named my island thebore.org  :smug
(ice)

Tasty

https://twitter.com/JoeMolotov/status/1241393365817495552

I was gonna post that last night I had 10 people on my friends list playing New Horizons at the same time. :lol

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
When you build stuff like museums can you move them later or is it permanent

You can move most buildings including the museum.

Good I don't want to be frozen by indecision
:O

Tasty

When you build stuff like museums can you move them later or is it permanent

You can move most buildings including the museum.

Good I don't want to be frozen by indecision

They thought of everything james. :jeb

After about a month when everything is unlocked it becomes the perfect Animal Crossing game, fusing both the original and newer entries in a package with HD and 8-player online. :rejoice

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I accidentally crushed some rocks, do they grow back? I need more iron nuggets.
©@©™

Himu

Rocks recycle daily. Nothing is permanent in these games besides an animal leaving
IYKYK

Tasty

Wait the three mods here that bought the game all put "Bore" in their island names? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
 :mods
©@©™

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️

If you have or can afford a nook miles ticket, there’s more rocks on the lil excursions

Himu

Pleased to say that today was really relaxing, traditional Animal Crossing fun.

DIY is a great feature that enhances Animal Crossing's strengths. Blathers gave me a recipe for a pole vault and now I can explore just about the whole island.

I fell into my routine of cleaning my town, checking every stone, fishing, and just maintaining. There is so much to do. The crafting adds an additional layer to your every day routine.  Being able to farm wood from trees itself adds a new routine because of wood being commonly used in recipes. Now, not only do you need to shake every tree, you need to slightly chop every tree for more supplies. More things to add to the Animal Crossing zen!

Met Gulliver and found him his parts, upgrade Blathers to a full museum. Got most of Tom's shop upgrade requirement.

Speaking of Blathers, he's got so much personality as usual.

The Nooks bore me (as usual) but seeing a friendly face is nice. I'm not fond of my town villagers AT ALL right now and want to replace them ASAP. Nook Miles are easily avoidable past the (horrific) first day, thankfully.

End of a nice, peaceful session. Ended my play sesh with a smile on my face.

Oh, and Mom sent peaches!
IYKYK

Tasty

Yeah that's what I said earlier, outside your first home upgrade Nook Miles are basically totally optional. (Though I would recommend the Tool Ring and the various other upgrades too before writing them off completely.)

In my head I just think of them as an additional currency to Bells. I've bought some trendy looking Nook Inc clothing with Miles and have even more on the way. :3

But yeah the game itself is Animal Crossing as it's always been, just with a longer opening tutorial.

Himu

I've decided to ignore Miles entirely while play.

So far they feel like a downgrade of New Leaf's great badge system to me with a currency thrown on top. But it seems actual utility is hidden behind them so at the end of each play session I've decided to check in and get my points and unlocks to see what I recouped from the play sesh.
IYKYK

Himu

My session was about 2 hours. My usual, average morning Animal Crossing run is like 30 minutes to an hour. I'm very pleased. I still haven't shaken my trees yet or fully weeded my entire town, which I will do tonight.

Ah, the feel of Animal Crossing. The pleasing feeling of not having to rush through and a play session being what you personally make of it.

And I saw an option to already change the trees?? What is this?

How'd you get that Statue of Liberty, Tasty?
IYKYK

Tasty

So far they feel like a downgrade of New Leaf's great badge system to me with a currency thrown on top. But it seems actual utility is hidden behind them so at the end of each play session I've decided to check in and get my points and unlocks to see what I recouped from the play sesh.

I keep coming back to Miles+ being a lot like MEOW coupons, just with more utility (Mystery Tours instead of Campground items.) And they're infinite now instead of 2-per-day/2-per-week. And like I did with MEOW coupons, I'll eventually end up ignoring them after I've got my town settled the way I like.

Regular Miles are seemingly a replacement for the badge system yeah. Not sure it's better or worse. The badge system felt more Animal Crossing-y, and I liked the consistent bronze-silver-gold progression. I got eight gold badges in NL and they're some of my proudest achievements in gaming. I'm not sure the Miles "postcards"(?) offer the same feeling, but I suppose it hasn't been long enough for me to know for sure... And seeing Phineas pop up and wander around my town always gave me a rush of excitement. "OMG I earned something!" The NookPhone chime just isn't the same.

Something I do think is a straight improvement is the multi-part achievements letting you clearly know the goal you just accomplished and how close you are (in real time!) to the next one (like the fishing streak quest.) I hated the guessing game on some of the badges (like the catalog.)

There were 24 badges in NL, and there's 81 Miles "postcards" in NH for comparison. But some in NH are one-offs and some are five-parters. I think having more things to do long-term means you're accomplishing things and making obvious forward progress more often. That's what I'm hoping anyways! :) I believe I'm up to the challenge of tackling these things. 😤

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
FYI: You can get a free silk rug from the eshop if you have Switch Online. :money
©@©™

Tasty

My session was about 2 hours. My usual, average morning Animal Crossing run is like 30 minutes to an hour. I'm very pleased. I still haven't shaken my trees yet or fully weeded my entire town, which I will do tonight.

Ah, the feel of Animal Crossing. The pleasing feeling of not having to rush through and a play session being what you personally make of it.

:D :D :D :D It's the best. The zen garden of video games. :heartbeat

For each fruit you eat (up to 10), you can uproot a tree wholesale with your shovel and store it in your pocket.

Gulliver mailed it to me after finding his parts! :3

I have to be honest though, I liked the semi-educational quiz he did in NL better than finding five phone parts. And the "prize" he mailed usually corresponded to the answer of the quiz, which felt good and reinforced the lesson (thinking of the young'uns.) But ah well, smartphones! :P

Tasty

FYI: You can get a free silk rug from the eshop if you have Switch Online. :money

How??

Himu

I keep coming back to Miles+ being a lot like MEOW coupons, just with more utility (Mystery Tours instead of Campground items.) And they're infinite now instead of 2-per-day/2-per-week. And like I did with MEOW coupons, I'll eventually end up ignoring them after I've got my town settled the way I like.

Regular Miles are seemingly a replacement for the badge system yeah. Not sure it's better or worse. The badge system felt more Animal Crossing-y, and I liked the consistent bronze-silver-gold progression. I got eight gold badges in NL and they're some of my proudest achievements in gaming. I'm not sure the Miles "postcards"(?) offer the same feeling, but I suppose it hasn't been long enough for me to know for sure... And seeing Phineas pop up and wander around my town always gave me a rush of excitement. "OMG I earned something!" The NookPhone chime just isn't the same.

Something I do think is a straight improvement is the multi-part achievements letting you clearly know the goal you just accomplished and how close you are (in real time!) to the next one (like the fishing streak quest.) I hated the guessing game on some of the badges (like the catalog.)

There were 24 badges in NL, and there's 81 Miles "postcards" in NH for comparison. But some in NH are one-offs and some are five-parters. I think having more things to do long-term means you're accomplishing things and making obvious forward progress more often. That's what I'm hoping anyways! :) I believe I'm up to the challenge of tackling these things. 😤

I think bronze-silver-gold is just more consistent. A lot of the postcards are fluff, too. Like, I don't know, as banal as putting on clothes for the first time.

I don't know. I guess we'll see.
IYKYK

Himu

:D :D :D :D It's the best. The zen garden of video games. :heartbeat

For each fruit you eat (up to 10), you can uproot a tree wholesale with your shovel and store it in your pocket.

Gulliver mailed it to me after finding his parts! :3

I have to be honest though, I liked the semi-educational quiz he did in NL better than finding five phone parts. And the "prize" he mailed usually corresponded to the answer of the quiz, which felt good and reinforced the lesson (thinking of the young'uns.) But ah well, smartphones! :P

Yeah I dug up a whole tree (!). So I'm supposed to take it to our favorite Trash Panda capitalist?

Speaking of Tom Nook, I miss Isabelle :tocry :brazilcry Being greeted by Tom is crippling after the cuteness of Isabelle.
IYKYK

thetylerrob

I'm pleasantly surprised by how good the local coop is in this game. It's super easy to switch off who the leader is and access your inventory when you need to and the potential for cute photoshoots is  :lawd

How are you all getting the pictures off of your Switch? Sending to twitter?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

How??

Go to eshop -> Switch Online tab -> free rug
©@©™

Tasty

I'm pleasantly surprised by how good the local coop is in this game. It's super easy to switch off who the leader is and access your inventory when you need to and the potential for cute photoshoots is  :lawd

How are you all getting the pictures off of your Switch? Sending to twitter?

Yeah spamming all my Twitter followers and then Chrome Imgur extension to get them here.

Tasty

https://twitter.com/JoeMolotov/status/1241393365817495552

Man everyone has this game. I really dont want to get it because I will really play it for maybe a week then not care to tend to my sim town. But peer pressure.

I haven't ever seen as many of my friends all get a game like this. Well, one that I'm able to play as well. :P

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler

How??

Go to eshop -> Switch Online tab -> free rug

I hope it will the place together

Himu

Going to leave my gate open so people can come and get any oranges. Please don't run :tocry

Sending friend requests to people. Check your messages.
IYKYK

Tasty

Please don't run :tocry

I'm only about ~80% sure but I believe in NH bulbs and stems are treated separately; bulbs/petals might fall off but the stem will remain intact and the bulb/petals will grow back. I've also heard that flowers in general are just more resilient to running and don't crumble after just a few rushes.

So very little negatives to running around now. :) Fixes one of my main complaints after Wild World.

Himu

My gate is open.

For newbies, we don't run in villages because AC uses the principles of Wabi Sabi, or imperamance. Basically, grass deteriorates if you run on it a lot. So most just walk. Since your town looks likes shit if you kill it. It's why the walk speed is so fast now.

IYKYK

Tasty

Basically, grass deteriorates if you run on it a lot. So most just walk. Since your town looks likes shit if you kill it. It's why the walk speed is so fast now.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
While this was the case in City Folk and New Leaf, it's not the case in New Horizons. You also get the ability to pave roads and grass alongside terraforming later on.
[close]

I dinged on Wild World despite it not having grass deterioration because I think it was the game to make flowers fragile as shit. :maf

Himu

That's cool. Can people even visit my town without being on my AC friends list but are on my switch list? Try coming to my town tasty
IYKYK

Himu

Dodo code is 8NKSB. Gate open.
IYKYK

Himu

Is the gate still open if you put the switch on sleep mode? So many variables since this is both a console AND handheld entry. On 3ds people can visit even if your 3ds is shut.
IYKYK

Tasty

Will come over in a few!

That's cool. Can people even visit my town without being on my AC friends list but are on my switch list? Try coming to my town tasty

It works like ACNL. You can open your gate to anyone on your system friends list. Then once you meet them you can register each other as best friends, which is the "in-game" friends list. I think. But keep in mind best friends can "edit" your town, where as normies can't (I guess.)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Dodo code is 8NKSB. Gate open.

Cool, I'll come around here in a little bit.
dog

Himu

Lemme know. Switch is on sleep mode
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Imma come visit now.
dog

Himu

Were you able to get in?
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
You're not showing up when I just search for friends online.

Edit: Tried the code, too. Didn't work either.
dog

Himu

That confirms you can't get in if you go to sleep mode I guess
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
That sucks.
dog

Tasty

Crafted a ladder and got to my top level!! Finally can clear the rest of Ohana's weeds! And also access the rest of my island's precious resources... 👀
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 07:05:49 PM by Tasty Meat »

Himu

That sucks.

It does. Often in new leaf and wild world people would leave their gates open, close their DS, and go back to work. This gives lots of flexibility and reduces battery use. At least we know the games limitations in this regard, rumbler.
IYKYK

Tasty

On the other hand in City Folk you definitely couldn't put the system in sleep mode. The dock at least makes leaving the game running less of an issue.

Beezy

Add me plz. SW-6588-2789-2669

I'm still not sure what to think of this yet, but I don't dislike it.

Himu

Add me plz. SW-6588-2789-2669

I'm still not sure what to think of this yet, but I don't dislike it.

Give it a week. Even for animal crossing it's slow because you're starting from literally scratch. Animal Crossing is a slow burn but this is the slowest burn yet. Usually there's a few buildings and more to do. Next week will be better.
IYKYK

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
FC is SW-6648-4755-0394

I got oranges for days
___

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
Re: ANIMAL CROSSING: NEW HORIZONS - Thread of Gaming Zen
« Reply #416 on: March 21, 2020, 09:57:12 PM »
Why can't I put the camera in Gamecube mode what am I doing wrong

:gamer :gamer
:O

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #417 on: March 21, 2020, 09:59:13 PM »
right stick up or down innit

Tasty

« Reply #418 on: March 21, 2020, 10:09:28 PM »
Yup right stick dude.

kingv

« Reply #419 on: March 21, 2020, 10:22:28 PM »
Wait, so we can’t visit each other’s towns unless... the other person is also on? Man that kind of sucks.