Author Topic: Laissez-faire Politics Thread - Praxis? I didn't play Deus Ex, sorry.  (Read 122822 times)

benjipwns

• no protectors here, no lanterns, no kryptonian
Re: Laissez-faire Politics Thread - Praxis? I didn't play Deus Ex, sorry.
« Reply #2220 on: October 16, 2020, 11:15:48 PM »
holy shit david graeber died last week
He lives on in previously unreleased interview footage!

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2221 on: October 18, 2020, 01:21:50 PM »

love her

"any time you engage with people who are on the front lines of any type of being targeted or suffering. the extent that you align yourself and then you're open to learn from them, it means that you expose yourself even if you're not legally vulnerable to endure the conditions that they're enduring. like between emotional connectors in terms of learning from each other, in terms of shared intelligence. that there is a bonding that goes on and you carry that with you." ;)

1:43:10

“We keep our communities functioning because we love them. We will not abandon them even when they turn on us, because we love them, and the state uses that labor to stabilize itself”

“We keep our communities from going crazy, like they kept us from going crazy. and that labor is expropriated by the state.”

“Do you see the beauty in that? It’s an impossible task, but it’s one completely worthy of you.”

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #2224 on: November 22, 2020, 07:48:14 PM »
https://toynbeeprize.org/posts/katrina-forrester/

Rawls didn’t emerge out of nowhere, and despite the story that’s often taught by political philosophers, he didn’t revive political philosophy from its postwar slumbers. His political thought was part of a liberal response to changes in the twentieth-century administrative state—as Anne Kornhauser suggests, he’s one part of a longer legal tradition of critical liberalism—and also as a particular American response to the changes in global politics after World War Two. 

To take a couple of examples: on the one hand, Rawls developed a vision of society that flattens certain types of conflict and prioritizes certain forms of consensus quite common among postwar “liberal consensus” theorists. On the other, Rawls also borrowed ideas from liberal critics of the administrative state—for instance, Frank Knight, one of the early neo-liberal economists at Chicago. These connections to mid-century liberalism were often submerged in Rawls’s published philosophical writings, so his unpublished materials collected by archivists at Harvard University are crucial to making sense of them. But it’s clear when reading those materials that Rawls’s account of society and the state emerged from a particular ideological constellation in the postwar US, when many liberals were skeptical about the extension of the state and were looking for novel ways to both legitimize and critique it. 

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #2226 on: December 03, 2020, 11:16:16 PM »
Quote from: Republic, 557a
...and presumably, it [the political regime] turns into a democracy when the poor are victorious, when they kill some of their opponents and send others into exile, give an equal share in the constitution and public office to those who remain, and when public office in the city is allocated for the most part by lot.
:money

benjipwns

benjipwns

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #2230 on: February 26, 2021, 09:51:02 AM »
https://twitter.com/ethanbrown72/status/1262733756160446466
Hey man, they're not called No Evil Business Practices. :doge
ha that's from March, I uh don't visit this thread often. :yeshrug
Hi

benjipwns

« Reply #2231 on: April 05, 2021, 07:11:26 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2232 on: April 05, 2021, 07:17:58 PM »
stop doxing benji!

oh wait
dog