Author Topic: Microsoft is acquiring Obsidian  (Read 5500 times)

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Re: Microsoft is acquiring Obsidian
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2018, 07:22:09 AM »
Well, that sucks. Doubt you'll get your 90s style crpgs anymore, I expect them to go the Bioware route now.

It really sucks that a studio that has had terrible financial problems is being bought out?

I don't really know too much about their products (truthfully, Stick of Truth was the only game I've played of theirs all the way through), but I was under the impression they carved out a profitable niche (nostalgia-fueled PC RPGs funded by Kickstarter) that plays to their strengths (storytelling and worldbuilding) while mitigating their weaknesses (having to use complicated engines and rushed dev cycles leading to lots of glitches).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:55:05 AM by tiesto »
^_^

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2018, 10:17:48 AM »
Going through the Windows Store to buy any future Obsidian games. :rage
getting future Obsidian games free with Game Pass :rejoice

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2018, 04:41:15 PM »
Josh Sawyer, its lead designer, is still there. For whatever that's worth.

Scanning the leads and writers at Mobygames tells me that Lead Writer John Gonzalez isn't with them any more. And Avellone obviously. But Eric Fenstermaker and Travis Stout, the other two credited as "writer" appear to be with them, still.

I also realized that I don't know enough about the game to assess how important  any of the people in the credits were. :doge
Yeah I remember Guerrilla making a big deal out of poaching Gonzalez. Avellone seems to have burned all bridges so no way he's ever coming back. It's good to know some of the writing team is left, they were responsible for the best parts of the game.

nudemacusers

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2018, 07:43:46 PM »
First game is that Rare pirate mmo bereft of content
not true, you do everything in that game, swim, shoot guns, sharks

Is this hyperbole or have they added a bunch of kontent?
It’s much more feature rich now than it was even 3 months ago. However I will say it’s a pretty lite game in terms of gameplay depth; your interaction with the world is pretty straightforward BUT there is a weird amount of depth in how the world operates; ie volcanos heat the water around them to damaging temps, you can push boats with explosive charges, persistent items scattered around etc.

Tldr it’s a great game to chill with a group vs flex gameplay skills. Ymmv but I have it via gamepass and enjoy it.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2018, 07:48:13 PM »
Yeah anyone decrying it as lacking content probably lacks people to play it with. Because it’s a blast to fuck around with other people in that game

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2018, 05:19:17 AM »
itm