Author Topic: Retro Thread for old gamers  (Read 88406 times)

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
Re: Modern Games Are Trash - Retro Thread for old gamers
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2019, 05:42:30 PM »
Latest bootleg console acquired is the Coolbaby. Comes with 600 GBA, NES, SNES and Genesis games and there's a SD card slot to add more. Threw on about 4500 arcade games.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2019, 06:26:19 PM »
Getting my 1 1/2 year old into the classics. He can clear out about half of the maze but gets distracted hitting the start button because it sounds like a fart.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #182 on: January 24, 2019, 05:16:35 PM »
I realized I've never played a game gear game. Any game gear games worth looking into? I heard the Shining Force game on there isn't that bad. Any gems there?
que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #183 on: January 24, 2019, 05:30:49 PM »
I realized I've never played a game gear game. Any game gear games worth looking into? I heard the Shining Force game on there isn't that bad. Any gems there?

Sylvan Tale is a great action rpg and one of the best games on the system. Tails Adventure is a decent early Metroidvania. Defenders of Oasis is a cool oldskool rpg with an Arabian Nights theme. Zenki is a nice action platformer, and I've heard great things about the 2 Shinobi games for it.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #184 on: January 24, 2019, 05:35:38 PM »
There's some neat Game Gear games.

There's some translations for it here:

http://www.romhacking.net/?page=translations&genre=&platform=12&status=&languageid=12&perpage=20&title=&author=&transsearch=Go

Crystal Warriors, Defenders of Oasis are available on 3DS VC afaik
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #185 on: January 24, 2019, 07:44:10 PM »

Don't bother with Shining Force on Game Gear.  It was the second part of the SF Gaiden series that wasn't initially localized, IIRC- The Sega CD Shining Force game is actually a 16-bit upgrade that contains both GG games with improved graphics and CD music, plus additional story/scenarios. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #186 on: January 24, 2019, 07:54:20 PM »
Retrotink 2X came today.  Gonna try hooking up something up to test it out in a few minutes.  If it's as good as the reviews say, might be time to ditch the last CRT I have in the house.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2019, 07:56:31 PM »
What crt is it
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2019, 08:08:30 PM »
What crt is it

It's a Samsung GXTV.  Not gonna sell it because fuck hauling that out somewhere and shipping prices are sure to be astronomical.  I see that you can hook up stuff like Retropies to it, so I could just re-purpose it into an old-school arcade monitor of sorts for emulation.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2019, 09:09:19 PM »
Well, that was...interesting.  First I tried PS2- got no sound, the controllers didn't work, and the disc wouldn't read.  Thought it was broken, but...nope.  Forgot I had to reset it to get the mod chip to kick in and play Japanese games.  And the controllers just didn't age well and need to be replaced.  But it looked pretty nice and I didn't feel any lag. 

Then I tried Game Cube.  No sound again, so OK- either the Retrotink was busted or it was the monitor I was using.  Hooked it up to a little HDTV and got sound, so I guess the Retrotink doesn't play well with monitors or I needed to change something, dunno. 

I used to use this TV for PS3/360 games and felt major lag when I'd try playing older systems on it.  Didn't feel that way at all and PN03 ran great!  So that's pretty impressive.  Now I just need to find my component cables or see if I have S-Video lying around.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #190 on: January 24, 2019, 09:18:51 PM »
My advice? Just get a smaller but better crt. Find something with s video and component and only use the tv for pre ps2/360 systems.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #191 on: January 24, 2019, 09:24:46 PM »
My advice? Just get a smaller but better crt. Find something with s video and component and only use the tv for pre ps2/360 systems.

I don't want to deal with CRTs anymore and the Retrotink is pretty awesome.  Even the smaller ones can be bulky and heavy.  The Samsung GXTV was a "gamer TV" and while it only had composite inputs, the screen is small enough that it doesn't matter- games look pretty good on it, it has huge speakers, and a subwoofer built in. 

It just takes up space that I really don't have available in my game room.

Next up is trying the Retrotink on my 55" 4K TV.  That's the real test- if games look good on a screen that large, then I'll finally be able to use one TV to play everything. 

If I was going to really go all out for retro gaming, I wouldn't hunt down a PVM anyway- I'd buy a Framemeister.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 09:31:12 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2019, 09:54:37 PM »
OK, wow, holy shit.

Looks amazing on a big screen.  Tried Outrun 2SP for PS2 and felt no lag whatsoever.  This is really good for a $99 product!

ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2019, 10:05:57 PM »
Game Sack GG episode is worth watching too for more advice:

^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #194 on: January 24, 2019, 10:06:46 PM »

:lawd :mouf
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: January 24, 2019, 11:18:28 PM »
Found a working PS2 controller!  Trashed the other two.  Pretty sure they broke like 15 years ago.  No idea why I still had them.

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #196 on: January 24, 2019, 11:20:25 PM »
Here's F-Zero GX on Game Cube, in widescreen mode, via Component.  You cannot use progressive scan with the Retrotink, however.  Game Cube looks blurrier than PS2 does on this thing and wasn't as impressive, but still looked really good.  Again, zero noticeable lag.  Gameboy games on the Gameboy Player also ran nicely and felt responsive.

This is absolutely a game-changer for me- being able to play older systems on a large modern TV and have it look and respond this well is just amazing. 

Next up is to get everything organized and hooked up.  And I still have to try out Dreamcast and Wii.  Maybe PSP too.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:26:38 PM by bork »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #197 on: January 24, 2019, 11:32:15 PM »
What’s that fighting game?
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: January 24, 2019, 11:34:57 PM »
What’s that fighting game?

Shin Gouketsuji Ichizoku: Bonnou Kaihou on PS2.  Port of Power Instinct Matrimelee that had a few more characters added from PI2, but lost the bonus characters from Rage Of The Dragons that the NeoGeo Matrimlee had.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: January 24, 2019, 11:37:12 PM »
Oh yeah, and BOBBY.   :lol

Crazy soundtrack, too.

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2019, 12:04:47 AM »
How do I play import ps2 games? Considering getting a fat and hd loader but idk.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #201 on: January 25, 2019, 12:05:41 AM »
Also what the Christ, female loli pope
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #202 on: January 25, 2019, 12:13:54 AM »
How do I play import ps2 games? Considering getting a fat and hd loader but idk.

Beats me what the easiest way is nowadays.  I have a slim PS2 with a mod chip from back when it first came out. 

I also need to try playing PS2 games emulated.  Have actually never done this before!

Also what the Christ, female loli pope

Final boss!
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #203 on: January 25, 2019, 03:02:59 AM »
Buying a Japanese PS2 would probably be the easiest for just popping in discs and going, I'm sure there's tons of used ones you can grab off almost any site.

PCSX2 doesn't have particularly high requirements, if you can run Dolphin you can run it. If you aren't boosting the resolution, or just scaling it, you'd have to have some pretty outdated hardware for it to not work with most games. It does not have the world's greatest compability for being such a long standing and popular emulator, it's only at like 96%. The project has varied all over the place from trying compability to trying to be cycle accurate and back again so it can be quirky.

Don't even grab the stable installer, it's like four years out of date or something, just grab the latest build.

PS2 games can be super weird because the hardware is super weird, you might be running Twisted Metal Black at 4K and 60fps perfectly with all the fancy features jacked up, then pop in Dead or Alive 2 and watch it crawl at original resolution, then move onto God of War and be back to maxing out everything. (This is not a statement on their current state of emulation, just a somewhat hypothetical example.)

If you're doing any playing of PC games over the last few years, if you target say 640x480 as the internal framebuffer (higher than any PS2 game actually runs at iirc) and then scale up to 1080p, I'm sure most games will be fine enough. If you have pretty good hardware that chews up most recent PC games doubling or tripling the original internal resolution is quite easy to get away with.

On a TV it won't save you huge amounts since scaling isn't majorly stressful on GPUs but letting the TV handle any upscaling might be the difference between keeping the framerate stable and occasional drops or frame mistimings.

benjipwns

« Reply #204 on: January 25, 2019, 03:16:13 AM »
bork, you might have better success with the Wii in GameCube mode than an actual GameCube, IIRC, the Wii can have a slightly cleaner output noticeable on large screens. It clocks down but I think it still handles widescreen as a Wii.

Of course, what you really want to do is run that F-Zero in Dolphin at 4K with 16xAF and 4xMSAA. :doge

Rahxephon91

« Reply #205 on: January 25, 2019, 04:51:46 AM »
I've got a Japanese White PS2 that I got off ebay with a few games for around $150. This was a few years ago though.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #206 on: January 25, 2019, 10:29:43 AM »

I like the Shinobi games quite a bit.

Vampire (aka Master of Darkness) is a nice Castlevania rip-off.

There's a lot of good translations of Sega games on there (particularly Sonic and Streets of Rage) but if you're using an emulator, you're better off just playing the original versions.

Himu

« Reply #207 on: January 25, 2019, 10:47:57 AM »
Here’s the thing about ps2: Sony made it out of some shoddy parts. If I had a choice I’d go with a fat ps2 but..DRE. I mostly want to play on original hardware too.

So I’m all about making ps2 last as much as possible because I think it’s the greatest system ever made. So the best way besides emulation I’ve come to the conclusion of doing this is a fat ps2 with hd loader. That way I can rip my own discs, be saved by the ps2’s crappy laser, and if the hdd dies I could always just rip again. But if the disc drive dies ps2’s might be even more expensive, or even more rare the next time I want to buy one. So I want a ps2 to last.

Currently rocking a ps2 slim.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2019, 10:54:38 AM »
What kind of hdd are you allowed to use in ps2 anyways? Does it have to be official?
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2019, 11:01:08 AM »
Looks like you can use a PS2 slim to play .ISOs too.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/f100/play-isos-external-hard-disk-ps2-slim-scph-70004-matrix-infinity-v1-5-any-options-115177/

My PS2 slim is still going strong.  It was skipping a bit when I turned it on last night, but one quick lens cleaning later and it was running like a champ again.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #210 on: January 25, 2019, 11:10:22 AM »
But that fat ps2 aesthetic. When I think of ps2 I think of that fat fucker. Spinning the logo. Standing it up on its side. God it’s the system that makes my heart beat fast. I’ll look into this method though. :)
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #211 on: January 25, 2019, 11:28:28 AM »
The logo on the slim turns too, so you can stand it up.

Himu

« Reply #212 on: January 25, 2019, 11:30:31 AM »
The biggest priority for me import wise are simple series, Sega Ages, Sega rally 2006, Hudson collections.

Look at this shit.

IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #213 on: January 25, 2019, 11:43:24 AM »
You can load PS2 games over a network, too. I never bothered tracking down an adapter for my fatty to try it out myself, but apparently it's pretty easy.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 11:52:41 AM by Rufus »

benjipwns

« Reply #214 on: January 25, 2019, 11:48:49 AM »
Can do that with an Xbox too. IIRC, the main problem is when games are relying on a specific read speed.

Some 360 games, Halo 3 I think, had a similar issue if you installed them to the hard drive.

« Reply #215 on: January 25, 2019, 01:53:29 PM »
The top loader mod on a fat PS2 isn't too hard, that's what I used to do back in the day before I bought a Japanese slim PS2 from cvxfreak on GAF years ago.*

*There are a few games that won't work with the top loader method, one of the Sakura Wars games, that's why I ended up getting a Japanese console.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #216 on: January 25, 2019, 07:48:43 PM »
The top loader mod on a fat PS2 isn't too hard, that's what I used to do back in the day before I bought a Japanese slim PS2 from cvxfreak on GAF years ago.*

*There are a few games that won't work with the top loader method, one of the Sakura Wars games, that's why I ended up getting a Japanese console.

I think there was also a similar method of using the disc for the top loader on the slim PS2s.  It didn't work for some games and is the same reason why I ended up getting a modded PS2 slim instead. 

Memories :thinking
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #217 on: January 25, 2019, 08:18:29 PM »
Because nothing beats an original
fat

« Reply #218 on: January 26, 2019, 12:03:15 AM »

I think there was also a similar method of using the disc for the top loader on the slim PS2s.  It didn't work for some games and is the same reason why I ended up getting a modded PS2 slim instead. 

Memories :thinking

I think it had to do with dual layer discs or something. The PS2 remake of the original Sakura Wars has that issue and won’t work with the top loader mod.
野球

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #219 on: January 26, 2019, 04:27:19 PM »
This guy is working on a Ninja Warriors-style side-scrolling action game!  :o  You can switch between different visual/audio styles representing 32-bit, 16-bit, and 8-bit consoles/PCs.

Note:  :bowsette
https://twitter.com/Wren2284/status/1089163171787624448
https://twitter.com/Wren2284/status/964866451193716736
https://twitter.com/Wren2284/status/963504769166970880
https://twitter.com/Wren2284/status/963503862689751040
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #220 on: January 26, 2019, 05:04:32 PM »
I’ve decided to invest in a crt. I’ve been thinking of it for a while because the lag in an hd set up isn’t good for old fighting games. We bring crts to local fighting game meet ups and I’ve wanted to bring Bushido Blade to a local for a while.

The benefits seem pretty obvious. So with me more dedicated to playing older games it makes sense to just finally bite the bullet rather than try hooking this stuff up to an hd set up. I dropped by the rents and...no crt from what I can find. :(

So I’m looking for a new one. What’s a good size? To my memory, tv size is different with crts compared to lcds. Like, a 20 inch lcd looks small as hell but a 20 inch crt feels beefy. I had a 10 inch in freshmen year and that was too small so I’m thinking 13-19 inches would be better? I don’t want it to take up much space because it won’t be the primary tv of course.

My life in gaming seems to have a good video on it? Posting so I can watch it later.

Then again, small crt size isn’t much a big deal. I’ve played on Sony PVM’s at tournaments and they’re absolutely fine so :idont

So update. Recently got a CRT and have been using it to play ps2 games in component it's really nice. :) PS2 never looked so good to me!

The tv supports AV, S-video, and component. I'm really in luck! It's not HD and only goes up to 480i but that's ok. It'll be good for every system I want to play on it. :)
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #221 on: January 26, 2019, 05:24:30 PM »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #222 on: January 26, 2019, 07:39:23 PM »
He's focused on the so-called "AAA" games, but there's plenty of other games that come out all the time that are great. 
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #223 on: January 26, 2019, 09:16:12 PM »
also 2 yo video that makes no sense in 2019 which has a great variety of non-open world AA and AAA games  i.e. proving his theory wrong  :doge and it's not like ubisoft ever was great to begin with.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:20:33 PM by Spieler1 »

benjipwns

« Reply #224 on: January 26, 2019, 11:43:43 PM »
there are waaaayyyy too many colors in that Genesis mode imo

PCEngine i can buy if you tell me you've got a SuperCard in

:expert

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #225 on: January 30, 2019, 08:38:55 PM »
Latest addition to the home arcade is a Donkey Kong barcade with Raspberry Pi guts and 4000 games.  Of course the first thing I fired up was Pit Fighter 😂

« Reply #226 on: February 01, 2019, 12:54:37 PM »
I dunno, but his love for Pit Fighter is endearing.
野球

Himu

« Reply #227 on: February 04, 2019, 12:48:48 AM »
GT used to be so good.

IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #228 on: February 04, 2019, 01:22:54 AM »
That second video showed up in my recommendations a couple of days ago.

What's the connection, Google. Tell meee.

Anyway...

While I loved GT1, 2 and 4, I cannot get over those engine sounds any more. The excessive tire squeal is pure torture, also.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #229 on: February 04, 2019, 05:13:43 PM »
I just finished RE2 on PSone

Kinda makes me wonder how they're gonna address some of the more far-out weirdo shit in that game in the remake

Next on deck: My copy of SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM arrives today  :hyper

:bow Old short games :bow2

Himu

« Reply #230 on: February 04, 2019, 05:29:15 PM »
:bow Short and sweet :bow2
IYKYK

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #231 on: February 12, 2019, 07:18:43 PM »
Pit Fighter and Guardians of the Hood combo platter as this evening's happy hour gaming.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #232 on: February 20, 2019, 09:02:47 AM »
President's Day off playing some old-school games on a friend's projector.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #233 on: February 20, 2019, 11:05:30 AM »
PHOTO BUCKET
:rage  :ltg :hhh
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #234 on: February 20, 2019, 11:14:06 AM »
I've had the account there for 15 years, I'm not changing to satisfy your white supremacist doxxer hate site.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: February 20, 2019, 02:55:05 PM »
But the image quality is shit and that logo they plaster on there is atrocious.

:mindblown
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2019, 12:13:42 PM »
I will be travelling next week and am wondering what kind of retro game to play in the hotel.

- Snatcher (Sega CD)
- Dreamweb (DOS)
- Axiom Verge (I know, not old)

Kinda have that sci-fi noir itch to play Snatcher to be honest but Dreamweb is just so good from what I tried it.

Snatcher is soooo good, definitely play that! Axiom Verge is also a pretty good Metroid style game that subverts expectations, boss fights kinda suck though.
^_^

Svejk

« Reply #237 on: February 22, 2019, 01:01:42 PM »
Snatcher is what popped my Kojima cherry.  It blew my feeble teenage mind back then.  Still holds up today, IMO.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #238 on: February 25, 2019, 10:20:49 AM »
Snatcher is what popped my Kojima cherry.  It blew my feeble teenage mind back then.  Still holds up today, IMO.

ACT 1 SNATCH

Still my favorite Kojima game.  The plot actually makes sense, even if it is a big ol' Terminator/Blade Runner rip-off.
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #239 on: February 26, 2019, 06:56:19 PM »

Lunchtime gaming with a new portable Sega system.  Comes with about 200 games and has a SD card slot to add more.  Not bad for $12.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 07:52:03 PM by porkbun »